Page 78 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2868747576777879 LastLast
Results 7,701 to 7,800 of 7824

Thread: Valley Line LRT | Downtown to Millwoods | Under Construction

If the City of Edmonton had $7 billion for 13 km of at-grade, elevated, and subway line... as opposed to $3.8 billion for 23km of at-grade, elevated, underground and over-river-bridge track, I'm sure some tweaks would have been made. The P3 model was also a bit tricky - look only at the Canada Line and you'll see another mess (though it was also rushed for the Olympics).

If ETS funded expansions as a region like Metro Vancouver (2.46 million people) and Translink does... then we'd have a more robust system of transit for the Edmonton Metropolitan Region (1.32 million people), no doubt.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    If the City of Edmonton had $7 billion for 13 km of at-grade, elevated, and subway line... as opposed to $3.8 billion for 23km of at-grade, elevated, underground and over-river-bridge track, I'm sure some tweaks would have been made.
    Where are you pulling your numbers from?
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    If the City of Edmonton had $7 billion for 13 km of at-grade, elevated, and subway line... as opposed to $3.8 billion for 23km of at-grade, elevated, underground and over-river-bridge track, I'm sure some tweaks would have been made.
    Translink for Metro Vancouver's Millennium Line extension to UBC and the City of Edmonton for both segments of the Valley Line.

Vancouver got a transit line for their $7B. We're spending $3.8B on a social engineering experiment & handout to developers with a slow streetcar thrown in as the booby prize.

Vancouver got a better deal.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Ottawa also gets it
    montreal gets it
    Toronto gets it
    Vancouver gets it

Edmonton is moving backwards. But that's okay, we don't want to be a big city anyways.
    Toronto gets it. Oh wait they have a tram system that they are expanding.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

On the plus side, a 2% backslide vs the schedule is the least amount TransEd has fallen behind in a quarter!
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    Ottawa also gets it
    montreal gets it
    Toronto gets it
    Vancouver gets it

Edmonton is moving backwards. But that's okay, we don't want to be a big city anyways.
    a tram system that serves the inner city and doesn't pretend to be a hybrid LRT that reaches out to the suburbs
    Toronto also has inter and inner city urban rail (Go Train), A subway system that's under expansion and proper LRT in a real dedicated right of way and BRT, and direct fixed rail to their airport...

Maybe you should heed the same advice you keep trying to offer me.
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Vancouver got a transit line for their $7B. We're spending $3.8B on a social engineering experiment & handout to developers with a slow streetcar thrown in as the booby prize.

Vancouver got a better deal.
    Some tweaks might be granted on the Valley line and if we were a regional transit system I might think otherwise on the layout and design. Translink is actively planning a roughly $3.5 billion 5km segment of subway through one of Vancouver's least dense neighbourhoods that has been facing population stagnation and decline.

give it a few years and we will be a regional transit system, and our LRT has all been paid for by the region and province... so we should already be thinking on this scale

Time to stop being so narrow-visioned and nearminded. We are the Edmonton Metro Region of 1.4 million people.
    http://emrb.ca/Website/files/6d/6df8...292719e682.pdf

http://emrb.ca/growth-plan/
    A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices.

Translink for Metro Vancouver's Millennium Line extension to UBC and the City of Edmonton for both segments of the Valley Line.
    Don't know where you got $7 Billion

According to the news, 13km of tunneled high capacity automated transit for about $6 Billion. Still very expensive but this is a subway class line, not a at grade sloth slow LRT.

Broadway Subway Project
    6 km of tunneled track, 6 underground stations
    UBC Millenium Line extension
    7+ km of tunneled track, 5 underground stations

It is expected the SkyTrain extension from Arbutus Street to UBC, approximately seven kms in length, will cost between $2.8 billion and $3.2 billion in 2018 dollars.

Comparatively, street-level LRT’s ultimate maximum capacity of 6,120 passengers per hour per direction provides just 25% of the ultimate maximum capacity of SkyTrain, and at a much higher cost. It will also attract significantly less ridership and reach capacity by around 2045, just 15 years after the estimated 2030 completion of any rail transit extension to UBC.

Construction on the $2.8-billion Millennium Line Broadway Extension portion between Arbutus Street and VCC-Clark Station is scheduled to begin in 2020 for an opening in 2025.
    https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/ubc-...l-january-2019

The campus is currently served by the 99 B-Line, which is the busiest bus route in Canada and the United States, according to the report, moving 60,000 transit customers a day. The new line will replace the buses that run along the region's most overcrowded bus route.

According to a staff report, SkyTrain is the only transportation option that can provide sufficient capacity to meet demand on the route beyond 2045.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...d%20by%202030.

Was an at-grade LRT considered?As part of our work to update the 2012 technical work we did look at how transit ridership could be achieved by investing in LRT.

1. A single LRT line connecting to the Expo or Millennium Line doesn't provide sufficient capacity to meet ridership demand.
    2. While an expanded network of multiple LRT lines could meet ridership objectives, this comes at significantly higher cost than a single SkyTrain line.
    3. All LRT alternatives require an operations and maintenance facility in the City of Vancouver/UBC and new vehicles.
    https://www.translink.ca/Plans-and-P...in-to-UBC.aspx

Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Translink is actively planning a roughly $3.5 billion 5km segment of subway through one of Vancouver's least dense neighbourhoods that has been facing population stagnation and decline.
    Assume you are referring to this: https://engage.gov.bc.ca/broadwaysubway/

Like many street level light rail enthusiasts, you mistakenly think rail-based transit service should serve mainly nearby residents.

The Broadway Subway will replace the busiest bus rapid transit service (99 B-Line) in North America. Phase One (VCC Clark to Arbutus) will serve the busiest segment of the busiest BRT line. From day one, the Broadway extension will no doubt be one of the busiest subway lines in North America.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/99_B-Line

It's pointless to compare Edmonton to other cities unless those other cities also do not consider the efficient movement of people the primary goal of transit.

Vancouver is building a line to move people efficiently. We're building a streetcar that's been routed to hit as many development opportunities as possible, effectiveness be damned.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    It's pointless to compare Edmonton to other cities unless those other cities also do not consider the efficient movement of people the primary goal of transit.

Vancouver is building a line to move people efficiently. We're building a streetcar that's been routed to hit as many development opportunities as possible, effectiveness be damned.
    Geography and size are also factors. Vancouver has a very congested road and bridge system already, with almost no room for expansion, more so a problem than here. I also suspect their housing availability and affordability problem only makes the commuter situation worse as people who want single family housing have to move further and further away from the center of the city.

Interestingly, the U of A has had LRT service since the 1990's, I think. I am a bit surprised UBC still does not have anything. A bit of a pain to get there last time I went many years ago. Perhaps in Vancouver the priority has been expansion of rapid transit to the further away eastern suburban communities to avoid having more commuter traffic and parking problems. I think ours is less focused on commuters at the end as there is single family housing along most of the new line.

Ottawa also gets it
    montreal gets it
    Toronto gets it
    Vancouver gets it

a tram system that serves the inner city and doesn't pretend to be a hybrid LRT that reaches out to the suburbs
    Toronto also has inter and inner city urban rail (Go Train), A subway system that's under expansion and proper LRT in a real dedicated right of way and BRT, and direct fixed rail to their airport...

Maybe you should heed the same advice you keep trying to offer me.
    Toronto 6,000,000 plus with many needs and resources. They also get favourable funding from all levels of government. The feds have agreed to upgrade one of their stations to the tune of $1billion with the city’s contribution and nothing from the province. We should get such a deal.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

The CoE puts the wants of developers over the needs of the people & that's why we get the transit we do. Because it's what the CoE asked for. You're never going to get a right answer if you're asking the wrong question.

We build lrt in the most expensive corridors and since we don't get much funding we build a sub-par mass transit system because most of our costs have been eaten up by land acquistions. We have many unused right of ways from back when administration and council had visions for the future... all those are not being used at all.

107th avenue, 149th street, 91th street, the CPR rail row, 121th street, etc etc etc... all set aside for future LRT corridors, but then comes in 2009, and mandel changes the purpose of LRT, and we ignore all that in favour of some dudes from Dublin who suggest we do street level LRT through the worst possible corridors.

It's not that we don't get funding for lrt, its that we use that funding horribly.

and the assets we do have are under used, like that downtown tunnel, that YES, I know, doesn't work for low-floor LRT because its high floor, but it certainly can support many more legs going through it....

Street cars are good for central circulator areas, but not as a solution to go out to the suburbs.,

Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    Translink is actively planning a roughly $3.5 billion 5km segment of subway through one of Vancouver's least dense neighbourhoods that has been facing population stagnation and decline.
    Assume you are referring to this: https://engage.gov.bc.ca/broadwaysubway/

Like many street level light rail enthusiasts, you mistakenly think rail-based transit service should serve mainly nearby residents.

The Broadway Subway will replace the busiest bus rapid transit service (99 B-Line) in North America. Phase One (VCC Clark to Arbutus) will serve the busiest segment of the busiest BRT line. From day one, the Broadway extension will no doubt be one of the busiest subway lines in North America.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/99_B-Line
    No I was referring to Phase 2: UBC to Arbutus. Stating a cost element and neighbourhood context element that I consider when looking at Edmonton's transit system. I'm not 100% sold on our layout and design but you never can be. Just hope some infill for the potential rezonings come through. Would enjoy a transit corridor and city-wide TOD plan... finally. Mind you, I am biased towards development.

C2E SME

I do wish we would start really thinking big city here in Edmonton. Looking at the LRT in Seattle and even Calgary, I have to admit I'm envious of these other systems. Also the LRT in Seattle is being expanded to the north but plans are in place to go south and eventually connect to Tacoma.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

We build lrt in the most expensive corridors and since we don't get much funding we build a sub-par mass transit system because most of our costs have been eaten up by land acquistions. We have many unused right of ways from back when administration and council had visions for the future... all those are not being used at all.

107th avenue, 149th street, 91th street, the CPR rail row, 121th street, etc etc etc... all set aside for future LRT corridors, but then comes in 2009, and mandel changes the purpose of LRT, and we ignore all that in favour of some dudes from Dublin who suggest we do street level LRT through the worst possible corridors.

It's not that we don't get funding for lrt, its that we use that funding horribly.

and the assets we do have are under used, like that downtown tunnel, that YES, I know, doesn't work for low-floor LRT because its high floor, but it certainly can support many more legs going through it....

Street cars are good for central circulator areas, but not as a solution to go out to the suburbs.,
    So true. I really don’t understand why nobody seems to be able to hold the city accountable for ignoring the infrastructure (including land) we planned for the future and just throwing money into the fire like it grows on trees. There are so many great opportunities this city could take advantage of if things were run correctly.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Our population is just under 1 million.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Edmonton City Density 1,360.9/km2

Vancouver City Density 5,492.6/km2,

Toronto City Density 4,334.4/km2,

Seattle City Density 2,799/km2

Source, all from Wiki

Density is the most critical aspect of building an effective and economical public transit system.

Edmonton City Density 1,360.9/km2

Vancouver City Density 5,492.6/km2,

Toronto City Density 4,334.4/km2,

Seattle City Density 2,799/km2

Source, all from Wiki

Density is the most critical aspect of building an effective and economical public transit system.
    Conveniently Calgary was left out of this comparison and I can see why. Their City Density is 1,501.1/km2, just 10% more than Edmonton and yet they have one of the most successful light rail transit systems in North America by several metrics.

Conveniently? It was not a city we were comparing. Sorry that I did not mention hundreds of other cities in North America either. Next time show me a requirement to do so.

Are we now extolling the virtues of the C-Train? The one that runs at grade through downtown and has been a giant headache for Calgarians for decades?

...cool. Probably no hypocrisy to point out there. I get that it's not a 'streetcar', but it might as well be downtown considering it stops for lights.

Conveniently? It was not a city we were comparing. Sorry that I did not mention hundreds of other cities in North America either. Next time show me a requirement to do so.
    Just strange that you would leave out our nearest neighbour and yes it was one that you were discussing, see below. Calgary's low density doesn't fit your narrative - but yet it is an example of successful public transit due to a number of factors and is something we here in Edmonton can learn from.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    I do wish we would start really thinking big city here in Edmonton. Looking at the LRT in Seattle and even Calgary, I have to admit I'm envious of these other systems. Also the LRT in Seattle is being expanded to the north but plans are in place to go south and eventually connect to Tacoma.

Calgary is envious of our underground LRT.

You know the one that was designed for 3 lines and the one which the valley line should have connected at CENTRAL STATION and went straight down Jasper underground at least until the General Hospital.

But what do I know?
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 06-09-2019 at 09:51 AM.

And I am jealous of their North American leading total ridership, ridership per Capita and cost/km. Tunnels are cool, but ridership determines the overall success of public transit.

You have to understand the differences in Calgary's geography, shallow valleys, railway ROW's, arterial road ROW's, built form and other factors plus the number one difference, a HUGE employment node downtown with all the company skyscrapers that make Calgary a completely different commuter flow that Edmonton's where the majority of the traffic flow is circular on Edmonton's ring roads.

It is an Apple vs Banana comparison

C2E SME

There are six major employment centres identified by the city, which includes educational institutions, hospitals, and shopping centres.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Quote Originally Posted by stevester View Post
    And I am jealous of their North American leading total ridership, ridership per Capita and cost/km. Tunnels are cool, but ridership determines the overall success of public transit.
    "Conveniently Calgary Edmonton was left out of this comparison and I can see why."

According to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...s_by_ridership, Edmonton is not doing so bad compared to Calgary.

Based on the average boardings per mile of track Calgary 8,395 Edmonton 7,452 or 13% less
    Based upon boardings per station Calgary, 45 stations 6,940 per station, Edmonton, 18 stations 6,251 per station or 11% less

C2E SME

I think one challenge is older neighbourhoods and their road allowances. Stony Plain Road can only handle four lanes of traffic, two with LRT.

I keep saying if you want ridership, extend the SLRT down to Heritage Valley. The homes are packed tight in there with many condos as well. Using some express buses along Ellerslie road and a hub station at the future SW hospital, you can draw people from Ambleside, Paisley, and even summerside now....you're looking at 30% of Edmonton's population as potential ridership.

Instead we're looking to run our next expansions through low density post-war neighbourhoods (WLRT and NWLRT). woot.

Plans are in place for Heritage Valley and the park & ride is nearing completion already.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    I keep saying if you want ridership, extend the SLRT down to Heritage Valley. The homes are packed tight in there with many condos as well. Using some express buses along Ellerslie road and a hub station at the future SW hospital, you can draw people from Ambleside, Paisley, and even summerside now....you're looking at 30% of Edmonton's population as potential ridership.

Instead we're looking to run our next expansions through low density post-war neighbourhoods (WLRT and NWLRT). woot.
    I would rather have expansion to other parts of the city instead of just extending the existing line.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/get-it-f...lays-1.4581917

The biggest public project in the City of Edmonton's history is behind schedule.

The Valley Line LRT will be delayed by more than a year at this point, according to city reports.

City staff have been checking the building process every quarter since construction began more than three years ago, measuring against milestones provided by TransEd when the project began.

As of June 2019, TransEd had completed 68 per cent of the expected work on the Valley Line. If construction continues at that pace, the train will be 13 months behind.

Most of the construction is in Councillor Mike Nickel's ward in southeast Edmonton.

"We are just so tired of the construction and the delays," Nickel said. "At the end of the day the only metric that matters is, get out of my ward, get it finished and so we can all just get it done."

CTV News Edmonton reached out to Trans Ed for comment. A spokesperson said the company won't speak to the city reports, but did acknowledge that there have been delays.

TransEd completed work through a number of downtown intersections ahead of schedule. But rainy weather has created challenges this summer. And crews found a concrete mass of some kind deep in the river bank early in 2018 that delayed the Tawatinâ bridge construction.

The Valley Line is supposed to be operating by December 2020. If it's delayed, TransEd loses out on about $3 million from the city every month.

The next progress report will be available in October.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Not good, I’m betting it is much more than a year late.

C2E SME

And some people complain about after-hours construction?

C2E SME

^not me. If it were up to me they'd do 24hrs so they could catch up.

^not me. If it were up to me they'd do 24hrs so they could catch up.
    Uh where have you been?? they are doing 24/7

C2E SME

I think something like this would be great for Edmonton. https://twitter.com/wklumpen/status/1170310487709573120

C2E SME

Really? Through the entire site? I happen to work late nights myself lots and there are plenty of sites where I see workers during the day time, that during the night those same sites are empty.

They're hiding from you...
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    They're hiding from you...
    Must be. LOL

C2E SME

Why is Transed delaying on the girders for the LRT at Davies Station? Also, time is running out getting the track done before winter.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Over the years whenever something would cause me to be behind or the customer didn’t understand something and started to complain I would say “does that mean I’m fired?” They would say no, continue on please. lol. I always had a lot of jobs and projects and seldom had any problems though, but sometimes it just takes longer than expected. It will be done when it’s finished.

C2E SME
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

C2E SME

Nice pics!

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Over the years whenever something would cause me to be behind or the customer didn’t understand something and started to complain I would say “does that mean I’m fired?” They would say no, continue on please. lol. I always had a lot of jobs and projects and seldom had any problems though, but sometimes it just takes longer than expected. It will be done when it’s finished.
    Its not as if this is the only major project to be behind schedule. Cross rail in London was supposed to open last December but will not be done until at least mid year next. When was Ottawa’s supposed to open ? November 2018. Will open this month. Yes everyone is disappointed but it is not the end of the world. 5 years from now no one will remember.

Yep, the Walterdale Bridge delays are certainly forgotten now. The Valley Line LRT delays may be forgotten as well, assuming there's no debacles down the line (knocks on wood).

Vancouver's Skytrain line; Designed for an LRT along with seismic considerations:

Arum and Krupp's design with monstrosity structural members on the new Edmonton line for a tram and in a relatively stable geological location:

Taken: September 7, 2019

Wagner station area
    by Paul Smolik, on Flickr
    Wonder why we're behind. The rebar details are even more astounding if you could see it being done...

C2E SME

I imagine that much of the line is built on rock, whereas Edmonton has to go deeper to reach bedrock.

Complete opposite actually...the skytrain through Richmond Delta is all silt foundation. That city will liquefy in a big earthquake event. It's partly why there are so few towers in Richmond beyond 20 stories.

And none of these things require going down to bedrock. It is cost prohibitive going that deep. There are other forms of piling which don't need to be bedrock "end-bearing".
    Most of our downtown skyscrapers dont even have bedrock supports. Someone correct me, but to my knowledge, the only tower is Stantec...

Anyhow, every time I drive past 75th street or 98th avenue and see the elevated portions, I keep thinking they're building for a high speed rail in Japan, when it fact we're getting a little tram on the prairies.

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    ...Anyhow, every time I drive past 75th street or 98th avenue and see the elevated portions, I keep thinking they're building for a high speed rail in Japan, when it fact we're getting a little tram on the prairies.

Nice.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^^ ^^^^

i think you're expecting the design to only reflect what is travelling on it (even though there is relatively little difference between the respective train/tram cars)

firstly, almost the entire supported weight and loads in both cases is the structure itself, not the train/tram cars.

and secondly, while the design loads for earthquake may be lower in edmonton, edmonton's design loads for snow and ice and for wind are higher.

as for the lack of taller towers in richmond, it's probably less to do with earthquake than it is a water table that is only 18" deep which precludes underground parking forcing an interesting balance between the provision of above grade parking and architecture...
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

I'll give you that, the live loads from an LRT v. a tram could be considered the same. But I was more alluding to their operation requirements (which admittedly, I don't know much about).
    But your first point reinforces my point that this was over-designed. Whole thing looks like it was designed just to carry it's own dead load.

As for your second, look at Montreal's REM extension. Their elevated portions are similar to the skytrain line. I'd imagine the snow loads would be much higher in Montreal than Edmonton.

As for Richmond, another reason is most of the northwestern portion is dictated by the airport and transport Canada.

C2E SME

So did a quick tour of the construction site from Bonnie Doon to 38 Avenue as I was heading back to the house. They definitely have a few crews throughout and for the most part it looks like they were making some progress. I am really wondering how much of the work they will be able to complete before the snow hits. I do hope that they are going to try their best to get parts completed with paving so that roadways can be reopened. Maybe I'm mistaken but I think that sections from 34 ave north to near Whitemud, north of Roper to Wagner Rd. and 71 ave to 80th ave could be completed (roads fully reopened to its final configuration) before the winter, while anything left in those areas would only be tracks and station work.

C2E SME

There are more construction advisories. There will be more night time construction, which could mean most of the track beds and flyovers will be close to finished.

http://transedlrt.ca/

C2E Continued Contributor

Amazes me how lazy they are to update the "Gallery" section of their own site.....April was the last update?

5 months behind on the site is still better than the year behind on construction. Their web team is over performing!

I'm noticing some track line just east of 101 St

C2E SME

I unfortunately did get to take any pictures but they have started planting trees between the tracks and the road north of 34 ave. I wonder what their plans are for the next few weeks. Will they try to open the finished road closest to the track and transfer traffic to that side so they can hopefully rip up the old road, pour new curbs and lay new asphalt on the west side of 66th street?

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...ake-some-noise

With winter right around the corner, construction crews working on the Valley Line LRT bridge across the North Saskatchewan River is picking up the pace before the weather turns cold.

This means those living near the south river valley may hear some noise once work begins on or around Sept. 18. TransEd, the group building the line, said crews will be working 24 hours Monday through Saturday for about eight weeks.

“TransEd is aware that overnight noise is disruptive and has taken several noise mitigation actions in advance of this work and will endeavour to have most disruptive work completed by midnight,” the company said in a news release.

TransEd is looking to capitalize on the nicer weather and get as much done before temperatures turn cold.

Around the same time, nighttime work is also planned for the north lane on 98 Avenue between 96A Street and the Muttart Service Road, which will be closed in preparation for the installation of the elevated guideway span over 98. The work is scheduled to take place from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. on or around Sept. 19 and 29 as well as from Oct. 9 through 25.

TransEd said the work will be noisy, especially on those dates in September.

To accommodate the work, the outside westbound lane along 98 Avenue will be closed overnight but the inside lane will remain open. Flaggers will help pedestrians looking to make their way through.
    Is it just me, or could they not have started this overnight work way back in April/May?

Probably, if they were clairvoyant enough to know that they'd be facing delays due to the wet summer we've had.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Probably, if they were clairvoyant enough to know that they'd be facing delays due to the wet summer we've had.
    They've been behind since the project has started, and with the amount that they are behind only increasing. No crystal ball was required.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E SME

I wonder if the flyover at Argyll Road will also be done.

C2E SME

Taken September 13, 2019

Valley line construction
    Looking south at the future location for the Mill Woods Town Center Station

Valley line construction
    Looking south at the intersection to get into Mill Woods Town Center and just west of the future station.

Valley line construction
    Looking west on the North side of 28 avenue where sidewalk has been removed.

Valley line construction
    Looking south east as the curve approach to the future Mill Woods Town Center station.

Valley line construction
    Looking north from the curve at 28 avenue up 66 street

Valley line construction
    Looking north at 28 avenue intersection. Essentially they just need to pour the curbs and pave the road to reopen traffic.

Valley line construction
    Looking south at the strip mall access next to Petro Canada.

Valley line construction
    Looking west at the strip mall access that has now been closed so they can rip it up to install the track bed.

Valley line construction
    Looking west at the newly installed temporary strip mall access to 66 street.

Valley line construction
    Looking west at track bed from Petro Canada on 66 street. Mostly done.

Valley line construction
    Looking north at track bed approaching the future Grey Nuns stop.

Valley line construction
    Looking south at trackbed from 31 avenue

Valley line construction
    Looking east at roadwork waiting to be done on the east side of the track bed at 31 avenue intersection

Valley line construction
    Looking south at roadwork waiting to be done on west side of the track bed at 31 avenue intersection.

Valley line construction
    Looking north at future Grey Nuns stop, along 66 street.

Valley line construction
    Looking north at future Grey Nuns stop. Rebar is being completed to pour passenger platform (This Stop is one of the closest to being completed of all the stops on Valley Line as of date the pictures were taken)

Valley line construction
    Looking north/west at the future Grey Nuns stop.

Valley line construction
    Looking west at future Grey Nuns stop, rebar detail.

Valley line construction
    Looking south at track bed from 34 avenue along the west (66 street) side.

Valley line construction
    Looking south at track bed from 34 aven along the east side. All that is needed is multiuse trail and landscaping.

Valley line construction
    Looking north at the traction power substation at 34 avenue. Landscaping just needs to be completed.

Valley line construction
    Looking west at 34 avenue intersection.

Valley line construction
    Looking north at tracks from 34 avenue. Landscaping being completed with trees as well as other plants.

Valley line construction
    Looking north at roadway waiting to be opened from 34 avenue.

Valley line construction
    Intersection at 34 avenue.

Valley line construction
    Intersection at 36a avenue. It appears they are pouring base for traffic lights that will be installed for this intersection. The bases for the traffic lights have already been completed on the west side of 66 street for a few weeks to a few months already.

Valley line construction
    Looking south/west at the Gerry Wright Operations and Maintenance Facility.

Also I noticed that they are prepping the intersection at Roper Road and 75 street to transfer traffic again over so they can construct the track bed.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Thanks for posting these. I thought Gerry Wright facility would be at least as large as the Kathleen Andrews Transit Garage in Clareview. Looks kind of small from the angle in your photo but that's probably a small section of it.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

C2E SME

Taken September 14, 2019

valleyline_2
    Looking south at the upper part of Connors hill retaining wall

valleyline_3
    Looking south at the lower part of Connors hill retaining wall

valleyline
    Looking north at the LRT ROW approaching the future Muttart station

valleyline_5
    Looking south at the approach to the future LRT bridge over the river

valleyline_1
    Looking south at the LRT bridge center pier.

Thanks for all the photos Cowboy.

I really like the elevated sections of the line. Wish there was more of that.

Sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by Cumberland View Post
    Thanks for all the photos Cowboy.

I really like the elevated sections of the line. Wish there was more of that.

Sigh.
    As much as I like the elevated portions the design of them seems so over engineered that if this was all elevated it would take a decade to build out.

Myself, like earlier posters always wondered why our elevated sections involved so much more concrete, rebar, than the skytrain.

Seems odd to me that they couldn't just go with a tried and true formula of what has worked well before.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Over engineered. Interesting viewpoint as I look out at my cracked sidewalk.

I haven't heard anything about Skytrain's elevated supports suffering premature damage. And the construction method looks efficient and non-obtrusive.

Metro Line's concrete at/near grade is, however was already showing signs of damage even before opening. We aren't the only city to be going through this. Canberra is also having issues. https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-07-...liant/11324348

Looks similar to our situation. But at least they haven't had the signalling issues we have had.

I would guess that the Skytrain is built on rock. My understanding is that beauty of building on rock/bedrock is that nothing moves (until an earthquake takes it down).

How far down is bedrock in Edmonton?

Plus freeze-thaw cycles probably expose any weakness, fractures, porosity where moisture can get in plus any issues with the cement mix.

As an aside: I don’t understand the practice of putting metal posts and rails into the tops of concrete barriers where any gaps will allow rain to get below the surface of the concrete. Eg. The decorative looking work along 114th street south of the UofA.
    Last edited by KC; 15-09-2019 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    I would guess that the Skytrain is built on rock. My understanding is that beauty of building on rock/bedrock is that nothing moves (until an earthquake takes it down).

This isn't the case and is covered previously in the thread. Also areas like Richmond (almost entirely fluvial sediment deposit) or out to Port Moody or even Surry much harder to build through than Edmonton. Vancouver involving of course much more barriers of waterways and geography than prairie Edmonton which is the easiest possible environment in which to build transportation infrastructure.

Not even expanding on the Earthquake preparedness incumbent in Lower mainland builds.

One has to admit the ride down Connors hill over the bridge into the tunnel is going to be spectacular.

One has to admit the ride down Connors hill over the bridge into the tunnel is going to be spectacular.
    Sure will. That's going to be a beautiful view there. Can you imagine taking that with the Folk Festival down in Gallagher park or with the Fall colors in River Valley?

Always enjoy the view over the river on the Capital line in its all too brief escape from the dark tunnels.

This is going to be much better, and a longer view experience.

That's the attraction too with Skytrain. Many people just prefer it to driving not just for the convenience, but that its just so beautiful to take the Skytrain and you see so much more of surrounding areas.

Looking forward to take this line many many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post

This isn't the case and is covered previously in the thread. Also areas like Richmond (almost entirely fluvial sediment deposit) or out to Port Moody or even Surry much harder to build through than Edmonton. Vancouver involving of course much more barriers of waterways and geography than prairie Edmonton which is the easiest possible environment in which to build transportation infrastructure.

Not even expanding on the Earthquake preparedness incumbent in Lower mainland builds.
    Ok thanks. Found the discussion and comparative photos at post #7750. Very interesting.

So if there is a difference in quality, cost, materials what is the reason(s) for it?

As an aside I find our freeway signage posts to be quite interesting for their massive size.
    Last edited by KC; 15-09-2019 at 02:33 PM.

I must say that I'm enjoying watching the bridge construction that Edmonton has had in the past few years.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Just a few notes, and this is somewhat disappointing.

In talking with the reps two times in Millwoods I had also asked whether or not either the pedestrian bridge, or part of the line, could be operational before the whole project is complete. The answer to both questions was categorically no, and oddly the stated response was that there would be no value to partial openings of this facility until it is 100% completed.

I stated that given the substantial delays and the past promises of when the project, and the pedestrian bridge were supposed to be completed and open for traffic that this short sighted view is unsatisfactory. They really felt that there was no value to residents/users in opening the bridge or part of the line early if they could. Albeit there was mention that the bridge is way behind schedule, and I know one reason why.

Trouble is when this was approved the timeframe for having no pedestrian bridge in place was grossly miscalculated. The public has gone without a pedestrian bridge for longer than was stated, and given that there were protests and fervent opposition about that specific part of the project these results are very disappointing.

Given that there is a footbridge via the low level bridge no more than a 10 minute walk away, its really not that big of a deal. Those that were opposed to the footbridge being taken down were actually just opposed to the LRT coming through their neighbourhood, nothing more or less than that.
    Yes, it's unforunate that there has been delays for various reasons, but if the bridge is not fully built and completed to 100%, I dont see a way they could open it to ped traffic, its still an active construction site.

Given that there is a footbridge via the low level bridge no more than a 10 minute walk away, its really not that big of a deal. Those that were opposed to the footbridge being taken down were actually just opposed to the LRT coming through their neighbourhood, nothing more or less than that.
    Yes, it's unforunate that there has been delays for various reasons, but if the bridge is not fully built and completed to 100%, I dont see a way they could open it to ped traffic, its still an active construction site.
    This has been stated several times, but the pedestrian footbridge was directly linked with bicycle trail and multiuse trails and was situated perfectly at the junction of 4 different trail directions. Thus it was very frequently used and a loved crossing.

NOBODY I know of was taking their bike on the decrepit and noisy, and ugly low level bridge that at any time is unpleasant, dusty, dirty, and noisy to use.

One is not like the other, at all.

Low Level is also directly linked with a wide-enough path on a normal bridge is not that intimidating.

This has been stated several times, but the pedestrian footbridge was directly linked with bicycle trail and multiuse trails and was situated perfectly at the junction of 4 different trail directions. Thus it was very frequently used and a loved crossing.

NOBODY I know of was taking their bike on the decrepit and noisy, and ugly low level bridge that at any time is unpleasant, dusty, dirty, and noisy to use.

You must not know a lot of people that ride bikes. Despite the fact that the low level bridge is old, and in need a paint job, it's a bridge that crosses the river. It links up with all the same trails, about 2 mins to the west on bike. Yes, the crossing was well used, yes, sorry, the bridge is being replaced, upgraded/improved... short term pain, long term gain. It sucks that there isn't an immediate alternative, but it will return, WHEN ITS SAFE TO DO SO, and not before, and again, the low level bridge is right there. So... stop making up an issue that's really not an issue.

C2E SME

Taken September 17, 2019

20190917_092140
    Looking north from 41 avenue intersection

20190917_092125
    Looking south from 41 avenue intersection

www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Low Level is also directly linked with a wide-enough path on a normal bridge is not that intimidating.
    Directly linked? Via Millcreek ravine one must make several correct guesses as to which path to take even to get to the low level bridge. Several road crossings take place prior to getting to the Low level bridge. The Pedestrian bridge, that was demolished had a direct trail to the bridge, no dismounts, no taking the wrong way, a direct path.

If you took somebody at random that had not used the area and asked them to either walk or bike from Millcreek ravine to Low level bridge chances are that with signing at present, and the several crossings, they wouldn't way find before exhausting multiple other directions.

To this day the wayfinding and path between Millcreek Ravine to Low level bridge is far from ideal.

perhaps the several years that the Pedestrian bridge was not going to be available they could have improved access to low level bridge.

C2E SME

Thanks IanO for the pictures. I was going to go down that way today to snap a few pics, but this will save me from some extra walking, lol.

You must not know a lot of people that ride bikes. Despite the fact that the low level bridge is old, and in need a paint job, it's a bridge that crosses the river. It links up with all the same trails, about 2 mins to the west on bike. Yes, the crossing was well used, yes, sorry, the bridge is being replaced, upgraded/improved... short term pain, long term gain. It sucks that there isn't an immediate alternative, but it will return, WHEN ITS SAFE TO DO SO, and not before, and again, the low level bridge is right there. So... stop making up an issue that's really not an issue.
    I've been cycling the Millcreek ravine since 1980, and regularly, and no cyclist coming from the south, using that ravine, was using Low level Bridge.
    The pedestrian bridge was quite clearly the preferred route of cyclists and always was.

That said with the Funicular in place the Low Level could be said to be a convenient, albeit very unpleasant option to reach the DT.

In the mean time maybe they could make access to the Low level bridge, via Millcreek ravine a bit safer than it currently is.

Well you are wrong.

I used the Low Level all the time coming from Avonmore via Mill Creek.

Directly linked? Via Millcreek ravine one must make several correct guesses as to which path to take even to get to the low level bridge. Several road crossings take place prior to getting to the Low level bridge. The Pedestrian bridge, that was demolished had a direct trail to the bridge, no dismounts, no taking the wrong way, a direct path.

If you took somebody at random that had not used the area and asked them to either walk or bike from Millcreek ravine to Low level bridge chances are that with signing at present, and the several crossings, they wouldn't way find before exhausting multiple other directions.

To this day the wayfinding and path between Millcreek Ravine to Low level bridge is far from ideal.

perhaps the several years that the Pedestrian bridge was not going to be available they could have improved access to low level bridge.
    I thought your issue was a lack of bridge not wayfinding. Wayfinding can be improved but does not limit the physical route that already exists. Anyhoo… all will be fixed soon.

I've been cycling the Millcreek ravine since 1980, and regularly, and no cyclist coming from the south, using that ravine, was using Low level Bridge.
    The pedestrian bridge was quite clearly the preferred route of cyclists and always was.

That said with the Funicular in place the Low Level could be said to be a convenient, albeit very unpleasant option to reach the DT.

In the mean time maybe they could make access to the Low level bridge, via Millcreek ravine a bit safer than it currently is.
    Agreed better cycling infrastructure and wayfinding from Mill Creek is needed for non-local residents. Using that route for decades I can agree. But all will be saved with the LRT plus upgrades.

I've been riding all the river valley for most of my life. People ride across the low level bridge all the time. I don't stalk them, so I don't know where they are coming or going from, but I would assume some would be from millcreek, because I'm one of those people.
    Safer? You cross two footbridges across connors road and also across 98 avenue, and then its a multi-use path to the low level bridge. What more do you want? Both those two footbridges are still open, still well used, and still provide connections to the low level bridge.

And again, the bridge was removed for the greater good of the city, and will be soon open again with the new bridge. You are making a whole mountain out of a molehill, but that's just about par for the course for you, based on your history here.

Wayfinding? Don't they still have bike trail maps?

BTW, Replacement, get Google Maps, works for bikes too.

I've been riding all the river valley for most of my life. People ride across the low level bridge all the time. I don't stalk them, so I don't know where they are coming or going from, but I would assume some would be from millcreek, because I'm one of those people.
    Safer? You cross two footbridges across connors road and also across 98 avenue, and then its a multi-use path to the low level bridge. What more do you want? Both those two footbridges are still open, still well used, and still provide connections to the low level bridge.

And again, the bridge was removed for the greater good of the city, and will be soon open again with the new bridge. You are making a whole mountain out of a molehill, but that's just about par for the course for you, based on your history here.
    The actual route from Millcreek ravine through to Low level bridge is this;

Exit Millcreek trail just before hill, take pedestrian crossing across extremely busy road feeding into Connors road. Then hopefully take the right trail feeding under Connors road, and hopefully on the correct side of the road. Then take a meandering turn, with poor signage, just so that you are again adjacent to Connors road, then go under James Macdonald Bridge, continue, then cross two more extremely busy roads at crosswalks before entering Low Level bridge.

Its really a hodge podge mess of redirection. Like somebody drunk was arranging the paved paths willy nilly through the area.

lol on google maps the directions read;
    Mill Creek Ravine
    76 Ave NW & 96 St NW, Edmonton, AB T6C 0J9

Head east on 76 Ave NW

400 m

Turn left

1.3 km

Slight right

1.1 km

Slight right

550 m

Sharp left

32 m

Sharp right

350 m

Turn right onto Connors Rd NW

350 m
    Low Level Bridge

Completely ridiculous.

Wayfinding? Don't they still have bike trail maps?

BTW, Replacement, get Google Maps, works for bikes too.
    See the google maps directions above. lolol

Imagine a tourist trying to wayfind between Millcreek Ravine and Low Level Bridge.

Call out the search party now..
    Last edited by Replacement; 17-09-2019 at 11:27 AM.

Agreed better cycling infrastructure and wayfinding from Mill Creek is needed for non-local residents. Using that route for decades I can agree. But all will be saved with the LRT plus upgrades.
    Thanks, the one reasonable response here. The route from Millcreek Ravine to Low Level bridge is very poor.

Doesn't look too bad.

(Note: I have no personal experience with this, but Google Maps seems to have a pretty straightforward route here)

Administrator *

Video update recorded a couple of days ago:

Replacement - how did you get to the former footbridge? Use the same directions, except turn left before and head to the low level. My god how you needlessly complicate every issue

Thanks, the one reasonable response here. The route from Millcreek Ravine to Low Level bridge is very poor.
    and yet, its no different than getting to the dear old footbridge, except, turn left and follow 98avenue to the low level.

Page 78 of 79 FirstFirst ... 2868747576777879 LastLast