Page 65 of 65 FirstFirst ... 15556162636465
Results 6,401 to 6,474 of 6474

Thread: Valley Line LRT | Downtown to Millwoods | Under Construction

I'd rather C2E than work!

Yup UStauk, that is exactly my point, yes it cost more than a level crossing, but why waste money building it only to be forced to rebuild it later (example what is needed near NAIT/Kingsway)

C2E SME

Fall/Winter 2017/18 construction schedule:

http://transedlrt.ca/resources/fallw...tion-schedule/
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

danimori:

Each 7-module unit with a length of 40.6m will carry 275 passengers max. The 'off-the-shelf' Flexity Freedom 3- and 5- module units can be linked together in consists of up to four units, but I haven't heard if that's possible with the 7-module units Edmonton is using. Two 7-module units may just fit the blocks downtown and the shortest station platforms, but I'm not sure about that. Also not sure if the electrical system is designed to run two 7-module units.
    Last edited by Cumberland; 20-10-2017 at 08:44 PM.

Man, looking at that map, I see it's gonna be eons before anything is finished even close to West Edmonton Mall. And even when it's done... I think my Strathcona location will still make busing similarly-paced option is annoying . I mean, taking the bus to the University Station, the LRT to downtown, then the LRT from there to WEM would probably take quite some time. I'd maybe save ten minutes- more if the traffic was bad.

That said... transit to WEM is EXTREMELY annoying down Whyte Ave. There are literally FOUR BUSES that make the trip down Whyte to the U of A. And the city puts all four frickin' buses on at the exact same time, meaning that if you miss one, you've missed them all, and it's a fifteen-minute wait every single time I have to wait for the bus. And the bus ends up PACKED because of course every single stop has had fifteen minutes to build up passengers. The smart thing would be to put each bus on a 5-minute difference from the one after it, so at least the passengers can be staggered out.
    Last edited by Jabroniville; 23-10-2017 at 12:14 AM.

Jabroniville
    Stop making sense!

Your comments are spot on. ETS service just sucks. Just watch 5 buses leaving a transit station all at the same time. They literally drive in convoy with the 4th running the yellow light and the 5th going through a full red light at intersections. They plod along with the bus in front taking most of the passengers along the same corridor. The last bus is usually the EXPRESS bus that stops behind the others, defeating the purpose.

Just to make your day, see this recent transit map of the LRT plans for west Edmonton.

Coming Soon!
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 23-10-2017 at 07:58 AM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

LOL- "1964 Rapid Transit"? Nice work, Edmonton!

The annoying thing is, this all could have been done much cheaper decades ago. It's beyond ridiculous that the biggest tourist destination in Edmonton is miles from everything else and has no option besides standard-issue buses.

But yeah, Whyte is ridiculous for buses. I haven't waited less than ten minutes for a bus in ages- and you see them loping along- the 4, the 106, the 57, and the 9 (I think that's the "University" bus). All of them have distinct ending points... but they're going to the same school! Why send them all at the exact same moment? The #4 took so long to get here on Saturday that it was beyond packed- the driver shouting at everyone to head to the back, people doing that stupid "well I don't want to be ON THE STAIRS" thing, etc.

What place do you usually see all four going at once? Whyte doesn't have any EXPRESS-style buses, unfortunately. I think WEM needs to have EXPRESSes going at all the major stops (Downtown, U of A, etc.).

Whyte Ave ETS gong show? Been going on for decades, and when I asked ETS for the logic of buses running in packs, was told, that never happens.

Apparently noone in ETS scheduling has ever actually ridden one of those Whte Ave routes.
    ... gobsmacked

ETS is correct, the buses don't run 'in packs'.

They flock together in a murder. As in a murder of crows.

I seen them leaving the Northgate TC in a convoy of 4 to 6, all the time
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 23-10-2017 at 02:59 PM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

I've seen the 4, 7, 94, and another 4 going down Whyte Ave in a cluster toward the university before. Once in a while, you can add the Sherwood Park buses in the mix too.

Not that I want to be seen as defending ETS and their bus routes, but observing a transit center and seeing a few buses leave around the same time really isn't much of a point at all. How many routes use Northgate TC per hour? Common. You can do better than that PRT.

I'm sure all 4 to 6 of that convey all went the exact same place too right PRT ? All serving the same destination?

Quote Originally Posted by Moodib View Post
    I've seen the 4, 7, 94, and another 4 going down Whyte Ave in a cluster toward the university before. Once in a while, you can add the Sherwood Park buses in the mix too.
    This is more the case here. Happens on Jasper Ave too

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    Whyte Ave ETS gong show? Been going on for decades, and when I asked ETS for the logic of buses running in packs, was told, that never happens.

Apparently noone in ETS scheduling has ever actually ridden one of those Whte Ave routes.
    LOL- "that never happens". Those people are insane.

Of course, it's entirely likely that they're not SUPPOSED to be doing that, but drivers keep taking too long at stops or just start running late, then going "OH CRAP THE OTHER BUS IS BEHIND ME!" and suddenly having to speed along in the trademark Whyte Ave Convoy.

This used to be even worse, but at least you could SEE the other buses, and thus wait if you saw this one being full. Nowadays, you can't see the other buses behind the 4, so you're stuck getting on that one, lest you be even MORE late getting where you're going.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Not that I want to be seen as defending ETS and their bus routes, but observing a transit center and seeing a few buses leave around the same time really isn't much of a point at all. How many routes use Northgate TC per hour? Common. You can do better than that PRT.

I'm sure all 4 to 6 of that convey all went the exact same place too right PRT ? All serving the same destination?

All down 97th street, turning left from 137th ave, yup. Like the 140, 154, 130, 160, 134 etc???

Quote Originally Posted by Jabroniville View Post

LOL- "that never happens". Those people are insane.

Of course, it's entirely likely that they're not SUPPOSED to be doing that, but drivers keep taking too long at stops or just start running late, then going "OH CRAP THE OTHER BUS IS BEHIND ME!" and suddenly having to speed along in the trademark Whyte Ave Convoy.

This used to be even worse, but at least you could SEE the other buses, and thus wait if you saw this one being full. Nowadays, you can't see the other buses behind the 4, so you're stuck getting on that one, lest you be even MORE late getting where you're going.
    It happens when they follow the timing points that often have the same time leaving a TC for different routes. Also it is a herd mentality.

154 doesn't go south down 97 http://webdocs.edmonton.ca/transit/r...rent/RT154.pdf
    160 doesn't even go to northgate http://webdocs.edmonton.ca/transit/r...rent/RT160.pdf

The rest of the buses split there destination between NAIT, Downtown and the UofA. One of them is a peak hour service only, and looks to be just quick service between transit centers.

Still, buses will look like they are in packs near a transit center. When you have 9,11,12,13,15,16,115,121,130,134,137,140,150,152,1 53,154,161, 168, 164,169,182, 303,312 bus routes which can come anywhere from every 15, to every 60, near a transit center of course its going to look like the are clumped together, especially at peak hours.

Can we get back to discussing LRT on this thread? This the Valley Line LRT thread. Not the complain about ETS bus routing (which in my opinion certainly warrants it own lengthy thread)

Does anyone have any pics of Davis station under construction?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I remember transit in this city in the 80s & 90s, took it everyday.

Thanks god I'm part of Mandel's driving solution.
    Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

C2E SME

Pictures take October 29, 2017

Valley line LRT construction
    by Paul Smolik, on Flickr

Valley line LRT construction
    by Paul Smolik, on Flickr
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Nice pics, thanks

Why are some of the pillars Y shaped and the others not?

I believe the straight pillars are for the station.

C2E Continued Contributor

To provide more surface area for downward applied forces. Most likely you'll see a pad up there.

Does anyone know when they will be pouring concrete for the 75 st LRT bridge? The forms have been up for months. Seems like there is very little construction activity at the site.

Tying rebar is a slow arduous task, they have miles of it to place and tie, they seem like they are doing that now.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Churchill construction chaos to last until 2019: TransEd
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...-lrt-1.4396305

Churchill Square will be darker this December as the annual Holiday Light Up festivities are put on hold. It will also be noisier as work on the new Valley Line LRT ramps up under the square.

Residents can expect the noise of cranes and trucks to continue until spring 2019, as Trans Ed builds the underground connector that will link the new light-rail line to the existing Capital and Metro Lines.

For the work to be done safely, eight-foot construction walls have gone up along 102nd Avenue on the south end of the square, and 99th Street on the east side.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^ From your links

Looks like the NAIT line fiasco all over again.

Improving transit south to Millwoods by one or two minutes by crippling commuter traffic east and west.

'A suck it up, buttercup, moment': Edmonton releases data on projected Valley Line traffic impacts
    It's too late to change the design, says city's head of infrastructure
    CBC News Posted: Aug 17, 201
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...ions-1.4252091

Once the southeast leg opens in 2020, eastbound commuters turning left off Whyte Avenue onto 83rd Street during morning rush hour can expect to wait seven minutes at the turn. By 2044, that wait will increase by another minute.

Morning traffic currently sits at the turn less than one and a half minutes, according to the data.

The evening rush is expected to fare even worse, with an average wait time close to nine minutes once the Valley Line opens. By 2044, the wait is expected to take longer than 12 minutes.

Eastbound drivers currently wait about four minutes to turn left from Whyte Avenue during the peak evening rush.
    Told you so, 7 years ago, that the Whyte/83rd Ave intersection would be a total screwup as the left-hand turning lanes overload and reduce Whyte Ave to a single lane in either direction. Expect traffic to be gridlocked from 75th street to the Mill Creek Bridge EVERY DAY, TWICE A DAY. Short cutting will be extreme on 76th ave and there are no viable other alternatives east or west. Cluster furk.

I love when they use twisted statistics such as "One train can replace 600 cars, according to the data released Thursday."
    That is a fallacy and stretching of the truth. They compare the average automobile ridership (usually 1.2) with the MAXIMUM train capacity. Well many cars have a maximum capacity of 5 or 7
    I see the NE LRT often with a 3 car consist with only a couple of dozen riders.

The bigger problem is that they've probably been sitting on this report for years. I predict there will be more CoE employees fired over this line in the future.

Jesus Murphy. All my critics here. Now silent. I've been calling for grade separation since day one of this proposed line now under construction.

"It will be fine" they said

"It wont be like the NAIT line" they said

"It will flow with traffic, traffic will be fine" they said

"It will cost too much [to grade separate one single key intersection], remember the downtown tunnel" they said as if the downtown tunnel is anything like a grade separated single intersection

All I ever wanted was to have the Mill woods LRT line to either dip under of bridge over one single stupid intersection but no... we don't need that at all. There won't be any issues at all.

Now... Now it's too late. Nobody listened to me. Now real actual traffic studies are being done.... AND WHAT? They agree with exactly what I was saying.

Oh it will only affect single occupied vehicles. Wrong! It affects everything from our EMS/Fire/Police response times, to bus times, and also the efficient movement of goods and services around the city. It also adds a point for potential conflict should there ever be an incident.

"You can just take other routes" WHAT OTHER ROUTES? 76 Avenue? Come on. The city is actively working to deter cross-town traffic on this route - and then you have the railyard to get around.

63rd avenue? Pretty big detour for traffic that's trying to get to the second busiest node in Edmonton - the UofA.
    Last edited by Medwards; 10-11-2017 at 10:21 AM.

^How many commuters are actually making these turns, and what are the other routes available to them? These aren't the main traffic flows. The idea that these are bottlenecks with no other alternatives, is a bit silly, the city is a grid, there are plenty of routes available for auto traffic. University Ave turned out fine once people got used to it, this will as well.

If wait times become unreasonably long, the city has not ruled out closing specific turns to vehicle traffic.

The Valley Line's potential to reduce traffic volume in Edmonton will outweigh its impact on specific intersections, said Coun. Ben Henderson.

Many of the affected intersections are already problematic, he added.

"I don't think the LRT makes a significant difference to them," Henderson said. "For the main flow of traffic, it probably should help."

One train can replace 600 cars, according to the data released Thursday.

"In the long run that will help make traffic run more smoothly," Henderson said.
    Last edited by moahunter; 10-11-2017 at 09:41 AM.

Actually, University Ave isn't better. Still a mess and the level crossing means that eventually - when I'm long dead and gone and the Metro line signalling is fixed - all Metro line trains will end at Health Sciences.

Believe me, 83rd and Whyte will be a disaster of 106 Street and 111 Ave proportions. And the car-haters at silly hall will do the same to 104 ave and 109 street, which is an intersection already a mess.

We have, sadly, here in Edmonton arguably the most inept transportation planners this side of Katmandu.

Caveat - getting out of the tunnel at Health Sciences likely didn't leave space to go back underground to cross University - so a mess but likely an unavoidable one.
    ... gobsmacked

Yesterday evening I had to wait about five light changes at the 109 street and 104 avenue intersection to make an EB-NB turn. The traffic was backed up past 111street and this is nothing unusual. Similarly traffic making a NB-WB turn have similar issues in the morning and evening commutes. I hate to think what it is going to be like if they don’t grade separate at that intersection.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Actually, University Ave isn't better.
    I didn't say it was, I said people have got used to it.

The important thing here is that rush hour traffic, and main flows, work fine, and it should. That a handful of people making turns to go in different directions or reverse commutes might be impacted, isn't the end of the world.

Glenco, you don't have to think about it, just wait and it will happen. A "suck it up, buttercup" moment. Wait for after hockey games.

Are these the same traffic planners who planned the NAIT line? My dog could see these issues even before Medwards did. But HELL, we are just armchair quarterbacks, what do we know, we never went to skool an lurned nuthin.

Came up 111 St the other day, first time in a while. There were fire trucks with lights and sirens on trying to make a left turn but could not because the LRT barriers were down forever. Why don't emergency vehicles have a transit override so they can stop the train and raise the arms?
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I'd wager it has to do with the Stone Age control system the Capital Line uses not being able to support all the bells & whistles.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

The simple dynamics of a train running through an intersection is well known. If the traffic planners according to the article already predict problems at Whyte/83rd, then it will happen regardless of the state of the art traffic control system because that was already factored into their traffic study and their conclusions.

LRT planning in Edmonton...

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^How many commuters are actually making these turns, and what are the other routes available to them? These aren't the main traffic flows. The idea that these are bottlenecks with no other alternatives, is a bit silly, the city is a grid, there are plenty of routes available for auto traffic. University Ave turned out fine once people got used to it, this will as well.

If wait times become unreasonably long, the city has not ruled out closing specific turns to vehicle traffic.

The Valley Line's potential to reduce traffic volume in Edmonton will outweigh its impact on specific intersections, said Coun. Ben Henderson.

Many of the affected intersections are already problematic, he added.

"I don't think the LRT makes a significant difference to them," Henderson said. "For the main flow of traffic, it probably should help."

One train can replace 600 cars, according to the data released Thursday.

"In the long run that will help make traffic run more smoothly," Henderson said.
    The city is a grid. True. There are no other main roads through this area. You're advocating for people to cut down narrow residential roads to avoid the chaos the LRT line will cause? That's some smart transportation planning for sure!

Partially true. The city in general is a grid but with many areas having radial or rectilinear or warped parallel street designs. Also there are many areas bisected by rail (including LRT) , freeways, the river and ravines that break up the grid and create pinch points. Even Bonnie Doon Mall breaks up the grid pattern in the area that prevent alternate routes let alone crossing Conners Road or Mill Creek. Between 98th Ave and 63rd ave, some 35 'grid' blocks, there are only two crossings of Mill Creek, the other 94% of the roads are physically blocked. I was told by City Planners back in 2010 that both Whyte Ave and 76th Avenue are operating at full design capacity. I would believe that both 63rd and 98th Avenues would be at or nearly at full design capacity.

As such, who in their right mind would propose to reduce the capacity of the intersection at Whyte and 83rd Street and not propose a LRT flyover?

Edmonton Transportation Motto: We plan to fail when we fail to plan and we learn from our failures and then repeat them as we fail to plan when we plan to fail.

"All I hear from communities, and I hear lots, is that our administration is absolutely intransigent," Mayor Stephen Mandel told transportation officials. "(You) say, 'We will listen to you', but you have no intention of listening to anybody. You have your minds made up." 2011

"I have to say that I have never been less impressed with the intransigence of members of our administration who talk about transit-oriented development and then work to deliver a plan that will amount to the opposite," he told a West Edmonton Business Association luncheon. 2008

anyone who says that the university section is "fine", does not drive through that area. I use it daily, and about 90% of the time it's a total gongshow. I have seen the LRT arms down for up to 5 minutes at times with no train in sight. the amount of pollution caused by idling car's sitting while waiting for LRT trains to cross is not good.

I am actually happy that northwest edmonton keeps getting left behind on LRT planning. Maybe by that time, the city will understand that running trains through busy roads is not the answer.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Can anything be done under the Municipal Government Act to force council to listen and make sure the LRT goes either under or over these intersections. What about some sort of legal action under environmental legislation as these decision will directly cause more emissions ?
    Perhaps some civil disobedience is in order. Get 20 or so people to block the intersection and simulate the LRT going through !
    Last edited by rupikhalon001; 11-11-2017 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trick91 View Post
    anyone who says that the university section is "fine", does not drive through that area. I use it daily, and about 90% of the time it's a total gongshow. I have seen the LRT arms down for up to 5 minutes at times with no train in sight. the amount of pollution caused by idling car's sitting while waiting for LRT trains to cross is not good.

I am actually happy that northwest edmonton keeps getting left behind on LRT planning. Maybe by that time, the city will understand that running trains through busy roads is not the answer.
    So clearly you need to take transit according to Iveson.

Yup, try taking the LRT with a half dozen 2x4x12's and two bags of cement.

Its not unusual to see cars lined up on University Ave from 114 street, all the way round the bend, through the old traffic circle at 87 ave and to the start of the hill at the PM rush hour. Part way down the hill in winter conditions.

^All those people that refuse that change habits.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    Yeah! By now they should have rearranged their lives to suit the whims of the transit planners & not kept their previous job/home/lifestyle/etc that was not congruent with said whims.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Either that I guess or stay in a traffic jam. Personal choices I have no control over.

Anyhoo this line is looking great along 66st and Davis Station. Real progress being made.

Wonder if the LRT lackeys (hello Don, you too Ben) realize that their apologist approach to LRT f**k-ups has been seen and heard too many times, and if Whyte and 83 turn out to be the FUBAR just about everyone expects - their careers will be on the line. Yes Don, hint, even Don Koziak might win handily.Just think what that would do to the future of public transit in Edmonton.
    ... gobsmacked

Edmontonians were asleep at the wheel I guess. Wanted the Heavens but only wanted to pay for a photo of a cloud.

Edmontonians were asleep at the wheel I guess. Wanted the Heavens but only wanted to pay for a photo of a cloud.
    You sound like we don't pay through the nose for transit in this town. Highest fares, lowest farebox recovery & some of the highest construction costs per km of track anywhere. And it's still terrible.

^^ No, we wanted decent transit, even just buses that are run efficiently on better routes. We did not need a sloth system that cost $200M/kilometer, one of the most expensive and lowest ridership in the world. You know, a good cost/benefit for taxpayers.

Edit: Posted concurrently.
    Noodle, you and I are thinking alike

I never saw "Edmontonians" making the case for grade crossings of major streets, especially at the time of the South extensions. People wanted LRT extended to where they were, they liked the existing system if they used it, and wanted something like that. The NE line doesn't slow down for traffic (other than the trolley interaction at the NE portal) and it doesn't cause delays for traffic that are longer than a light cycle. It seems like Edmontonians don't get the chance to decide if we want to spend a little more doing things better right from the start.
    We get told that we don't want underground or elevated because it's 3x to1-x as expensive.
    We get to decide between the happy village and bustling main street wall-paper and garbage bin sets.
    And we get to look at the high price of fixing the worst bits, sigh, concede it's not worth the price to fix it after the fact.
    There can only be one.

...so you have the same trifecta as I have experienced

Joe works in the NE industrial area and Mckerran. He uses Groat road every day to get to work. What habits is he refusing to change?

Either that I guess or stay in a traffic jam. Personal choices I have no control over.

Anyhoo this line is looking great along 66st and Davis Station. Real progress being made.
    You're a real piece aren't you? You like to see others suffer through the bad decision making of the city. I can't wait to see a decision that affects you and you refuse to change habits.

Reality and your statements are two completely separate things.

Joe works in the NE industrial area and Mckerran. He uses Groat road every day to get to work. What habits is he refusing to change?
    His Crack habit. It's really messed with his navigation ability.
    There can only be one.

Guess taking LRT and bus is may be an option.

Fact is, if you have to drive, there is no alternative to 114 Street and University Ave.

That's what I love about the CoE ministry of truth - those digital message boards that say ...expect delays, take alternate route, when in fact, there isn't an alternate route.
    ... gobsmacked

You're a real piece aren't you? You like to see others suffer through the bad decision making of the city. I can't wait to see a decision that affects you and you refuse to change habits.

Reality and your statements are two completely separate things.
    I vote. So do many. Things are built. They might change in the future. Maybe a LRT cut under the road. Currently doesn't exist. Doesn't mean I choose to be in a traffic jam when I drive that route at rush hour. Some can't change their route, true, but many can. Traffic jam.

I'd love to see better alignment and interaction with the road at 83 Ave and Whyte. Definitely. Will it be like University Ave? I don't think so due to road configurations and maybe some people need to change their habits. Are we getting the perfect system? No. But we've been through a few elections and lots of planning and public consultation since then.

Change habits? Give us an example. Say you are coming from south Sherwood Park via the 630 every day to work at your job in Old Strathcona. The normal route is via Whyte Ave. 19 minutes, 16 kilometers

What alternative route are you suggesting? Going further south via 628, down 14 (Whitemud) and up Calgary trail? That's 24 minutes and 24 km. Adds 10 minutes to your commute and 16 gas guzzling kilometers. Transit should reduce carbon emissions overall, not add to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Change habits? Give us an example. Say you are coming from south Sherwood Park via the 630 every day to work at your job in Old Strathcona. The normal route is via Whyte Ave. 19 minutes, 16 kilometers

What alternative route are you suggesting? Going further south via 628, down 14 (Whitemud) and up Calgary trail? That's 24 minutes and 24 km. Adds 10 minutes to your commute and 16 gas guzzling kilometers. Transit should reduce carbon emissions overall, not add to it.
    I agree with both comments made.

Well, if you're living in Sherwood Park and commuting into the city, you can really help your situation by moving closer to your job.

Adding a few minutes to a commute for someone who lives outside the city doesn't really even register on my radar.

At least St. Alberts is thinking about LRT and making plans. SP is quite content to clog the rods to the east of the city and then complain about traffic.

^ According to your last statement St. Albert people I know of are still doing the same thing as SP.

Since St. Albert's October election the political landscape has changed, and people I know close to the situation is just waiting for Edmonton to do something about a Yellowhead bridge expansion. I'm afraid a SA line is years if not decades away.

EPRT should've not have choose someone from sherwood park in his post, because certain artifical line drawn in the sand make easy targets to respond to. A better place would have been just about any neighbourhood in east central Edmonton and kkozoriz respond doesn't fit. And even if we are going to play the silly political boundary game, it's quite reasonable from someone to live in a place like east edmonton (or sherwood park) and to work in old strathcona or elsewhere in Edmonton. Sherwood Park has a fairly decent commuter bus system. LRT isn't the only solution to transit.

I understand but the reality is that we all know that the entire length of Whyte Avenue is already at capacity and regardless where traffic comes from, there are only a few widely spaced east-west arterial roads which are also at capacity. No matter where the traffic comes from and what excuses there are, people have few options on routes or changing their modes of travel. We can't expect people to use bikes in snow and ice, we can't expect commuters to take a bus when they finish work late at night, we can't expect people to move from bedroom communities where their kids go to school, one parent works in that area and the other in Edmonton, and even if they did move, one parent will have to commute in the opposite direction, and we can't expect east-west buses, trucks and emergency vehicles to change their routes. Also people who live or work in close proximity to Boone Doon have no choice in routes when key intersections are gridlocked.

'Suck it up buttercup' is not a solution.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 16-11-2017 at 06:27 AM.

People living in east-central Edmonton have a stake and a voice in the deal. SP does not because they are not providing anything other than making the problem worse. If we had a regional transit service then I'd be worried about making their commute longer. If they want to live 15 km away from where they work and not have to pay for most of the infrastructure along they way then I don't feel any great need to listen to them.

The truth is that unless we tunnel or elevate the entire route, there's going to be impacts somewhere. However, if they insist on living in The Park and working in Old Strathcona, there's Route 404. But most people would rather expect Edmonton to ensure they have a fast, free commute while not contributing to the design, construction and upkeep of the infrastructure necessary.

And it's not an artificial line in the sand. Edmontonians are picking up the majority of the costs for LRT. Perhaps if Sherwood Park presented a plan for getting a train out there to take some of the cars off the road, people would be more willing to let them have a say in the entire system.
    Last edited by kkozoriz; 16-11-2017 at 02:54 PM.

^Buses is a much better option. Much more flexible and nearly the same amount of cars of the road with very little construction, capital and maintenance costs. Sherwood Park already has a award winning and well utilized bus system.

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    And it's not an artificial line in the sand. Edmontonians are picking up the majority of the costs for LRT.
    COE is putting up $800M, with the province putting up $600M & the Feds putting in $400M for the half under construction. As to the other half to the west, the only funding secured thus far is from outside the city (federal, from the PTIF), not within.

We as a city are certainly shouldering our fair share, but that share isn't really a majority.

need to stop thinking about Edmonton only. Need to think Regionally. Our transit systems are being integrated slowly behind the scenes.

The problem is that Sherwood Park doesn't really exist as an independent entity. In a regional government you'd either have to carve it off of Stratchcona County or involve the county as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by jacoblost View Post
    ^Buses is a much better option. Much more flexible and nearly the same amount of cars of the road with very little construction, capital and maintenance costs. Sherwood Park already has a award winning and well utilized bus system.
    Do you take the bus for all your travel needs?

Do you take the bus for all your travel needs?
    I don't today, but I used to years ago as a University student.

Too bad the bus system in Edmonton isn't anywhere close to award winning.

Page 65 of 65 FirstFirst ... 15556162636465