Page 71 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2161676869707172 LastLast
Results 7,001 to 7,100 of 7102

Thread: Valley Line LRT | Downtown to Millwoods | Under Construction

The community enhancements so far and dedicated ROW is already shaping up, especially in Bonnie Doon, IMO.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    I drove the route the other day. It’s going to be awesome
    Yes it's coming along nicely!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

I'd rather C2E than work!

Let's hope it'll be going along nicely.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E SME
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Maybe it's been talked about further up thread. What's the plan at whitemud? They've poured the track base along 75st and it's about 2' higher than 75 st itself (particularly the north side of whitemud) I assume they'll bring the roadway up to match it, but are they going to redo the barriers on the 75 st bridge? Because they'll be too low afterwards.

South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    Maybe it's been talked about further up thread. What's the plan at whitemud? They've poured the track base along 75st and it's about 2' higher than 75 st itself (particularly the north side of whitemud) I assume they'll bring the roadway up to match it, but are they going to redo the barriers on the 75 st bridge? Because they'll be too low afterwards.
    I chuckled when I saw a crossbuck on the exit to 75st that says" Railroad Crossing". Have they forgotten we are in Canada? LOLOL
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by cnr67 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    I chuckled when I saw a crossbuck on the exit to 75st that says" Railroad Crossing". Have they forgotten we are in Canada? LOLOL
    I'm not a "train guy," so I'm missing the humor here....

^ Canadian Pacific RAILWAY and Canadian National RAILWAYS should be your first clues.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

I think pretty well everyone I know says railroad tracks and I live right beside the railroad tracks, twenty trains a day every day shakin my house as they fly by on the railroad tracks that are sitting on the railroad ties. I must be missing something
    Last edited by Drumbones; 14-11-2018 at 01:09 AM.

What if you’ve been workin on the railroad all your live long days. That’s a long time to be railroading.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 14-11-2018 at 01:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    I think pretty well everyone I know says railroad tracks and I live right beside the railroad tracks, twenty trains a day every day shakin my house as they fly by on the railroad tracks that are sitting on the railroad ties. I must be missing something
    In Canada, we run trains on railWAYS. The Americans run them on railROADS. That is why I chuckled. Hence why we have the Canadian Pacific railWAY ect ect ect.....You will not find any railROADS in Canada.

I think you have been railroaded straight out of town.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

who really cares? Honestly. It's a difference between American english and british english, and with the influence of american everything here, it's not surprising that the two different words meaning the same thing are often used here. Those who make a big deal out of it really should give their head a shake.

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    who really cares? Honestly. It's a difference between American english and british english, and with the influence of american everything here, it's not surprising that the two different words meaning the same thing are often used here. Those who make a big deal out of it really should give their head a shake.
    Just like American political culture is forever creeping into Canada. Since Trump was successful in getting elected watch some Canadian politicians adopt his style.
    ... or not:
    Canadians are seeing the whole world through an anti-American lens - The Globe and Mail

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opin...american-lens/

give your head a shake
    “give your head a shake
    An imperative to reevaluate one's ideas, behavior, actions, etc., or to begin acting or thinking sensibly. Primarily heard in Canada. You need to give your head a shake if you really think ghosts exist. Give your head a shake, John—no one is going to pay for a service they already get for free. “

https://idioms.thefreedictionary.com...r+head+a+shake
    Last edited by KC; 14-11-2018 at 09:23 AM.

I hear more Americans saying Zed rather than Zee.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

From Wikipedia; The Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR), also known formerly as CP Rail (reporting mark CP) between 1968 and 1996, is a historic Canadian Class I railroad incorporated in 1881. The railroad is owned by Canadian Pacific Railway Limited, which began operations as legal owner in a corporate restructuring in 2001. (Either or?).....but after doing some research I would seldom see it, railroad that is, in Canada. So I guess I’m odd man out.....again.

gordon lightfoot canadian railroad trilogy live in concert bbc 1972 ...

C2E SME

Traffic has been moved to the east side of 83 Street between Whyte and the traffic circle.

who really cares? Honestly. It's a difference between American English and British English, and with the influence of American everything here, it's not surprising that the two different words meaning the same thing are often used here. Those who make a big deal out of it really should give their head a shake.
    It was JUST an observation FFS....................Do you always look for a way to pick apart the commentary here? To those who work on them, for which I have and my family a combined 105 years..It's RAILWAY!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    Traffic has been moved to the east side of 83 Street between Whyte and the traffic circle.
    I spoke with one of the folks over at the elvated station who had said the rail may be laid sooner than scheduled as the construction has gone ahead a better pace.Anyone have info on that?

C2E Posting Power

who really cares? Honestly. It's a difference between American English and British English, and with the influence of American everything here, it's not surprising that the two different words meaning the same thing are often used here. Those who make a big deal out of it really should give their head a shake.
    It was JUST an observation FFS....................Do you always look for a way to pick apart the commentary here? To those who work on them, for which I have and my family a combined 105 years..It's RAILWAY!!!!
    Drum is NOT picking apart your commentary - he's simply inferring that most on here don't give a rat's f#$K about what is phonetically correct - railway or railroad....we get it now....that's your "thing" - good for you....let it keep being your "thing." But don't get mad at those - probably everyone on here if we don't jump on the "train" lingo bandwagon......thx! You clearly wanted to invoke a reaction by many when you started this whole "railroad VS. railway."

C2e is the source for many great debates. Got me searching - I didn’t know that in the US railways are somewhat differentiated from railroads and railways are what the world mostly uses.

“Downtown” vs downtown, barrels vs litres, WCS vs WTI, terrorists vs mass murderers, railways vs railroads, LRT vs ...

Others?

So... if there is LRT, does that mean there is RT or HRT?

Is it downtown or uptown?
    Last edited by KC; 15-11-2018 at 01:53 PM.

Light Rapid Transit or Light Rail Transit

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    C2e is the source for many great debates. Got me searching - I didn’t know that in the US railways are somewhat differentiated from railroads and railways are what the world mostly uses.

“Downtown” vs downtown, barrels vs litres, WCS vs WTI, terrorists vs mass murderers, railways vs railroads, LRT vs ...

Others?

So... if there is LRT, does that mean there is RT or HRT?

Is it downtown or uptown?

Medium and Heavy rail came first; Light rail was actually coined as a neologism to fill out the spectrum. Edmonton's LRT approaches the limit of what is considered 'light' as MRT systems with similar passenger capacities exist.

On railways vs railroads: The railroad runs through the railway, just as the Henday runs through the TUC.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolworm View Post
    Medium and Heavy rail came first; Light rail was actually coined as a neologism to fill out the spectrum. Edmonton's LRT approaches the limit of what is considered 'light' as MRT systems with similar passenger capacities exist.

On railways vs railroads: The railroad runs through the railway, just as the Henday runs through the TUC.
    Then there’s the highway (for marijuana users?) and the freeway and the carriageways. Roads run through all of them? Or roadways? Can a street run down an avenue?

Do you walk or step on a footpath or, is it a pathway, or a track? Can you walk in a track or can you only run on a track?

And when rolling stock stops rolling, is it still rolling stock?

Is there an “of course” to when a path becomes a course, or, of course, when a course becomes a path?

Then there’s lanes, back lanes and laneways. Do they exist in the US off the freeways and roadways?

Country lanes
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Country_lane
    Last edited by KC; 16-11-2018 at 08:09 AM.

Main Street runs down 50th avenue in Leduc and in Wetaskiwin.

In Canada, we run trains on railWAYS. The Americans run them on railROADS. That is why I chuckled. Hence why we have the Canadian Pacific railWAY ect ect ect.....You will not find any railROADS in Canada.
    Correction:

In Alberta, we run trains on IRON HORSE TRAILS. “In Canada, we run trains on railWAYS. The Americans run them on railROADS. ...”

Just run out buses and LRT on TIME!

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Just run out buses and LRT on TIME!
    Aren’t they always on time, just not on the stated time?

Another aside:

The Problem With Mussolini and His Trains

DAVID DUDLEY NOV 15, 2016

A closer look at the transportation achievements of an infamous authoritarian.

“This myth last got re-aired and re-debunked when neo-Fascists joined Silvio Berlusconi’s Forza Italia alliance and made Italy Great Again in 1994. And it persists despite the efforts of journalists at the time (and since). Here’s an exhaustive accounting of rail-related references from Mussolini’s many biographers, none of whom made much of trains. Perhaps the best evidence comes from 1950s TV host/proto-mythbuster Bergen Evans, who assailed the “myth of fascist efficiency” in his 1954 book, The Spoor of Spooks, and Other Nonsense, based in part on his own first-hand experience. ...”

https://www.citylab.com/transportati...trains/507764/

Last edited by KC; 16-11-2018 at 08:26 AM.

It is like the weather forecasting.

"Weather people forecast the weather right every time."

"They just get the location wrong every time."

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Then there’s the highway (for marijuana users?) and the freeway and the carriageways. Roads run through all of them? Or roadways? Can a street run down an avenue?

Do you walk or step on a footpath or, is it a pathway, or a track? Can you walk in a track or can you only run on a track?

And when rolling stock stops rolling, is it still rolling stock?

Is there an “of course” to when a path becomes a course, or, of course, when a course becomes a path?

Then there’s lanes, back lanes and laneways. Do they exist in the US off the freeways and roadways?

Country lanes
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Country_lane
    Perhaps consult the book before I throw it at you?

A 'way' is just the concept of the travel route, hence you have right of way, way finding etc. That's different from roads, which are the actual physical infrastructure and intended for powered transport (you don't have passenger roads or animal roads).

Highways were literally high ways, I.e. they were built higher than their surroundings, carriage ways were for carriages, free ways were for automobile traffic to travel freely (without being constrained by traffic signals).

Rolling stock is on wheels. Wheels roll.

A path is when a way has a defined alignment, a course denotes a pre-existing / natural alignment like a river.

If you're going to be snide and nitpick on definitions, I can tell you outright there are distinctions between all the terms you mentioned and their precise use.
    Last edited by Foolworm; 16-11-2018 at 11:12 AM.

Is that your definitive definition?

Anyone seen that pesky shark? I think we may have jumped it a few dozen posts back...

we park on driveways, and drive on parkways...

^George Carlin?
    Go down a few dark alleys.

There are seven words you must not say on television

C2E SME

So it appears that the 28ave stretch at the end of the LRT line is almost ready to switch traffic from its current location to just north on to its near final configuration. Hopefully they can will then be able to start construction of the Mill Woods Town Center LRT station. I know it's not going to be that significant in regards to size but it will be nice to see it in place. I think it is still unfortunate though that the city planners couldn't have worked better together and have the LRT station next to the current bus terminal and public library.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

^ Indeed. You'd have though that LRT and bus station together would be a no-brainer. Wonder how Council came to what seems to be a bit of an odd decision.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

They're moving the Transit Centre.

Page 47, top right corner.

https://www.edmonton.ca/documents/Ro...rt_booklet.pdf

C2E SME

I think there’s a pier being built on the north bank (cofferdam) where that concrete block was found.
    Last edited by The_Cat; 10-12-2018 at 02:35 PM.

C2E SME

My point was more towards the fact that why did they build the library right next to the transit center which makes perfect sense but then decide to locate the LRT station and move the transit center away from the library.

Honestly it's about the same distance (the new transit area is the yellow area with a star in the middle).
    https://www.edmonton.ca/residential_neighbourhoods/PDF/MillWoodsTownCentreSiteAerialMap.pdf

The current backside of the library was built such that a fairly simple renovation could turn it into a nice entrance.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4568...thumbfov%3D100
    Last edited by Foolworm; 15-12-2018 at 12:40 AM.

C2E SME

C2E SME

For those taking photographs, the first of the overhead links for the 75th Street/WP Wagner flyover was placed just south of Davies Station.

Honestly it's about the same distance (the new transit area is the yellow area with a star in the middle).
    https://www.edmonton.ca/residential_neighbourhoods/PDF/MillWoodsTownCentreSiteAerialMap.pdf

The current backside of the library was built such that a fairly simple renovation could turn it into a nice entrance.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.4568...thumbfov%3D100
    Haven't clicked on the thread in awhile but these takes suggest somebody that isn't even familiar with the site and is just looking at maps.

Where to start?

1) Wouldn't it have made more sense to bring the LRT station in line with EXISTING LRT transit station facility and the library? To put it where the present facilities actually are located.

2)The configuration of the Library and the Transit Center was perfect. It is ADJACENT to the library. It should be noted as well that the current entrance of the Library is south facing in a winter city and the way the building is designed it shelters from wind and captures sun warmth. On the sun facing side. As such the plaza just outside the library is very enjoyable on anything but the coldest days and encouraging people to just spend time there. The building facilitates this, its a popular entrance. young and old like to sit or stand there just outside the library. you always see people outside there That entire foresight of the design is lost if the entrance is on the North facing side.

3)Relocating the Transit Center and closing/demolishing the other one is just cost. For the sake of it, which this City seemingly loves to do. Should mention that the present Transit Center is better situated to connect feeder busses and is more convenient to the many seniors density builds in the area, and due to the Library, and the Seniors Center located there is in a very good spot. Also reasonably close to the Mall.

4) The new LRT station, by being on 28ave is in the middle of nothing. Its not close to the Mall, Its not even that close to where the New Transit Station will be, and certainly not as close to the Library. Also the strip mall to the north has been mostly deadmeat since Sobeys left as anchor. its a deplorable strip mall frequented by dollar stores, resale consignment furniture, greasy fish and chips and slimy pubs. The parking lot is almost always mostly empty there. Nor is 28ave any great street level destination. The few shops east of Hewes way are not all that great. They're not draws.

5)Simply having the LRT station even two blocks south would be better for all involved, from my attendance at presentations its what people wanted, but the City wanted some street front kind of reawakening on 28ave. So once again the city opting to locate where next to nothing is there, instead of locating where amenity actually exists. Century Park anyone?
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

From Wikipedia; The Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR), also known formerly as CP Rail (reporting mark CP) between 1968 and 1996, is a historic Canadian Class I railroad incorporated in 1881. The railroad is owned by Canadian Pacific Railway Limited, which began operations as legal owner in a corporate restructuring in 2001. (Either or?).....but after doing some research I would seldom see it, railroad that is, in Canada. So I guess I’m odd man out.....again.
    Blame it on American Wikipedia editors. It’s well known that the vast majority of the submissions and likely the editing is done from an American make perspective.

C2E Long Term Contributor

'Cumulative Schedule performance is 77%, as measured in comparison to TransEd’s baseline.'

...a little disconcerting.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    'Cumulative Schedule performance is 77%, as measured in comparison to TransEd’s baseline.'

I would say so as well considering pretty favorable weather conditions during this project cycle and also with no shortage of labor given the present economy. I'd wonder if 77% is even a bit optimistic considering how the line build is going in general.

I wonder how much this impacts the projected opening timeline. That wouldn't be good optics in this city.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I have heard from someone working on the project they are currently 1 year behind schedule.

At one point weren't they ahead of schedule on this line? Sigh, we can't have infrastructure projects on time in this city.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The obstical on the North bank of the river might have slowed TransEd down but by a year?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug View Post

I have heard from someone working on the project they are currently 1 year behind schedule.
    77% SPI on a 5 year project = 1 year behind.
    I'm not sure that equates directly to a 1 year delay in actual terms, I am sure they do have a bunch of opportunities to work concurrently. That said, the SPI is not improving over time.

C2E SME

Some news outlet will probably complain about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Haven't clicked on the thread in awhile but these takes suggest somebody that isn't even familiar with the site and is just looking at maps.
    Wow, sounds like somebody never saw the redevelopment plans for the MWTC and is just going off what is currently existing. Maybe familiarise yourself with what the future plans are before making a whole bunch of arguments based on the current state of affairs?

Wow, sounds like somebody never saw the redevelopment plans for the MWTC and is just going off what is currently existing. Maybe familiarise yourself with what the future plans are before making a whole bunch of arguments based on the current state of affairs?

No, I'm somebody that doesn't believe in pie in the sky proposal that has not occurred yet. Which is why I specifically cited Century Park as an example. Every terminus since Clareview in our LRT history was supposed to involve a lot more than what actually occurred. I am cynical about what will actually be developed on site and a believer in building to what IS present instead of what isn't. the only work occurring, actually occurring on the MWTC site is on the portion farthest removed from the LRT, where they demolished the former Target site. I'll believe the rest when I see some evidence of it.

Skeptical enough as well to think that some of the plans are just impetus based to retain whats left of shops and anchors in a long struggling mall.

Finally, when I read something like this; "Redevelopment will likely happen over 25years" "The Mall will stay as it is for at least 10years" I'm convinced its simply not going to occur. Not in my lifetime anyway or that of the many seniors presently in the area.

So save your wow gibberish for somebody gullible.
    Last edited by Replacement; 19-12-2018 at 08:03 AM.

Also, this video reflects what any people I know here in this neighborhood (I live here) think about how the shift in transit center, location of the LRT station, impacts the recently built library. The consensus, the whole time, was how this just all seemed to reflect no coordination in planning;

https://globalnews.ca/video/3316134/...val-of-the-lrt
    Last edited by Replacement; 19-12-2018 at 08:26 AM.

Likewise, save your drive-by snark for elsewhere. Dismissing it all on the basis of 'I've convinced myself it's not going to occur' is sticking your head in the sand.

Mill Woods actually has it good when you look at other places like Bonnie Doon. You have to walk the length of the mall and then some to get to the library from the planned stop, and Idylwlyde was rebuilt not all that long ago. That is a valid complaint, not your whining that it's 10m further at MWTC.
    Last edited by Foolworm; 19-12-2018 at 10:59 AM.

Likewise, save your drive-by snark for elsewhere. Dismissing it all on the basis of 'I've convinced myself it's not going to occur' is sticking your head in the sand.

Mill Woods actually has it good when you look at other places like Bonnie Doon. You have to walk the length of the mall and then some to get to the library from the planned stop, and Idylwlyde was rebuilt not all that long ago. That is a valid complaint, not your whining that it's 10m further at MWTC.

Wait, I responded to your errant suggestion that there was no salient issue. Other people have expressed concerns and you minimized those.

I then expressed rebuttal in 5 points making it easy for anybody to respond, on a discussion board, on a point by point basis if one wants to.

You respond with inanity like "sticking your head in the sand" and Wow' sounds like nobody checked the redevelopment plans" when its quite clear there are NO IMMEDIATE plans. You know there are no immediate plans. I didn't get "snarky" until after your shots in my last reply.

My points stand. There is no redevelopment occurring, none are expected for MWTC anytime soon, and it is only a plan. I even specifically stated that the city made the same mistake it did in Century Park and Clareview terminus concluding that a plan would come to fruition.

As the video I linked indicates people were questioning the design of the new library and entrance facing the bus terminal when it was first revealed. Knowing that the bus terminal was moving.

The library works well currently in sync with the Bus terminal that already exists. It would have been better if the new LRT terminus was placed relative to the amenity that already exists. Not lined up to what is proposed that we don't know will ever occur.
    Last edited by Replacement; 19-12-2018 at 01:29 PM.

With future development in mind, having the library (a single-use short building) built away from where most of the Centre's best and future development will occur is a good move. It reserves the best land for private development and active retail uses at ground floor near the LRT station and bus loop, which is designed in a much more linear and safer fashion. As well, it's the City's intent to replace the former transit centre with a park. Which means the front of the library will have a large park. The format and redevelopment of a mall is familiar to Metro Vancouver and takes a long time to see happen. The Millenium Line at Brentwood arrived in operation in 2006 and they only recently began redeveloping the actual mall.

The closest example could possibly be Surrey Central Station and its adjacent library, which is all set up in a rather similar fashion and it works great.

Not sure why the Idylwylde library renovation that happened around a decade ago was brought up in a similar comparasion to the Mill Woods library new-build.

Wait, I responded to your errant suggestion that there was no salient issue. Other people have expressed concerns and you minimized those.

I then expressed rebuttal in 5 points making it easy for anybody to respond, on a discussion board, on a point by point basis if one wants to.

You respond with inanity like "sticking your head in the sand" and Wow' sounds like nobody checked the redevelopment plans" when its quite clear there are NO IMMEDIATE plans. You know there are no immediate plans. I didn't get "snarky" until after your shots in my last reply.

My points stand. There is no redevelopment occurring, none are expected for MWTC anytime soon, and it is only a plan. I even specifically stated that the city made the same mistake it did in Century Park and Clareview terminus concluding that a plan would come to fruition.

As the video I linked indicates people were questioning the design of the new library and entrance facing the bus terminal when it was first revealed. Knowing that the bus terminal was moving.

The library works well currently in sync with the Bus terminal that already exists. It would have been better if the new LRT terminus was placed relative to the amenity that already exists. Not lined up to what is proposed that we don't know will ever occur.
    Uh, when you start your comment by saying I basically don't know what I'm talking about and dismissing my my responses to your points (which again, boil down to "but it doesn't work with what is there now!") with cavalier statements like "You know there are no immediate plans", it's hard to take you at face value. Perhaps you have an inside link to the mall developers but I certainly don't, so get off your high horse.

You also talk as though the City is to blame for developers not stepping up to the plate and fulfilling their promises of development. That's talking with the benefit of hindsight - you might not agree with the concept of TOD to begin with, I have a hard time buying into it myself, but the reality is that developers don't get penalised for not following through and thus they have no incentive to. Look at how long the hole in the ground lasted at Quarters - the City can't really do much by way of enforcement.

If your points stand, so do mine. I don't really have much more to add on the issue except to note that this is nitpicking to a ludicrous degree, the location of the existing transit centre is terrible as-is with only the library and maybe the medical centre within easy walking distance (and no, walking 150m across a carpark to enter the mall does not count).

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    Not sure why the Idylwylde library renovation that happened around a decade ago was brought up in a similar comparasion to the Mill Woods library new-build.
    I brought up Idylwylde as an example of actual poor stop location as far as stop location with respect to civic amenities is concerned. When that library was up for renewal, there could easily have been some consideration to consolidating operations with the Rec centre since the City is pushing the whole Multiplex concept, with a stop then servicing both the mall and said multiplex. Instead the library and rec centre remain on opposite sides of 83 St and in between stops. Compare that to the situation in Mill Woods where the transit centre remains adjacent to the library, and the complaint rings hollow.

For that matter, the MWTC stop doesn't really service the Rec centre and Holy Trinity/JPP either but that's a matter of history: Previous plans had transit corridors along 91 St and turning into 28 Ave with a stop at Lakewood.
    Last edited by Foolworm; 19-12-2018 at 07:48 PM.

^I was at the presentation.

Again, I'm a Millwoods resident and so active in checking out what is going on. At no point did I "basically not know what I was talking about." That was your assumption. I do know about the plans. I know there are no immediate plans. I gather you know that as well.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...e-bus-terminal

"Redevelopment will likely happen over 25 years, said Preiksaitis. The mall itself has long-term leases and will remain as is for at least 10 years, but the towers near the LRT station could be built soon."

This is the same statement made at the open house which perhaps ironically was at Millwoods library.

There hasn't been any new news on the prospective development since and all former links to some of the plans are no longer active links.

I'm not engaging in supposition here, this is a statement of fact, from the developer, that the plans are not at all immediate. Time frame ranging from 10-25yrs.

What I don't believe in, as stated, is pie in the sky TOD.

Obviously if the COE is enticed by such projections to put LRT stations in place there should be a little bit more reason and promisary to do that then some vague plan in 10 or 25years. Would bet anybody as well that the Towers won't be built soon.

Oddly enough the last time I was having this nature of discussion here on C2E it was in regards to the largely failed Century Park development. But in that one they even had timelines, condo sales, and marketing actually proceeding. Even with actual units sold that whole development stalled. So that we have a transit Center and LRT station there far removed from any of the present builds.
    Last edited by Replacement; 19-12-2018 at 08:40 PM.

largely failed Century Park? Where do you get that? Sure, it didn't all get built in 2 years like 2006 Edmontonians all thought it would, but realistically, its a 20-40 year build out, and it's still well in progress. Go look yourself, they are still building.

I would argue in support of Replacement, that Century Park is typical of sloth-like growth of TOD's in Edmonton.

Compared to the past successful city supported Railtown development that encouraged 6,000 units and actually resulted in 15,000 units being built in Oliver, Century Park has been a uninspiring development that failed to grow in a booming economy.

Compare the LRT serviced Century Park to the town of Beaumont that has zero LRT and only one bus route, to guess where? Century Park!

Beaumont's population more than doubled since 2006
    2006, population 8,961
    2017 municipal census is 18,320

I would argue in support of Replacement, that Century Park is typical of sloth-like growth of TOD's in Edmonton.

Compared to the past successful city supported Railtown development that encouraged 6,000 units and actually resulted in 15,000 units being built in Oliver, Century Park has been a uninspiring development that failed to grow in a booming economy.

Compare the LRT serviced Century Park to the town of Beaumont that has zero LRT and only one bus route, to guess where? Century Park!

2006, population 8,961
    That is a whole bunch of comparisons to things that aren't the same.
    Neat.

2006, population 8,961
    Yes, and Edmonton has grown by 100,000+ people in that time too. I don't see your point though.... I know your not often in or around Edmonton, but Century Park is an active construction site that has a new tower currently being built. Sure, it wasn't all built out in 3 years, but only a fool would believe that it would. This is a massive development, that is competing against all the other developments like it. It's slow, but not stalled, and definitely not uninspiring.

Bringing up the population of Beaumont is useless stat that has no baring on anything in this discussion.

Railtown isn't really a comparable either. But I know you like comparing a apples to bananas.

You can't deny that Century Park has been very slow to develop in the past boom economy but in a downturn is progressing.

You know that and that fact remains.

You can't deny that Century Park has been very slow to develop in the past boom economy but in a downturn is progressing.

You know that and that fact remains.
    Yes. It is slow in progressing and certainly has an interesting developer (based on the number of iterations and current design concepts, not my personal knowledge of the person) that likely has something to do with that.

It has been slow, but not unexpectedly slow.

As DanC alludes to, the biggest problem comes from a fallout between the consortium of project owners. Now that has been sorted out, the development is getting back on track, and we are seeing progress...

It certainly didn't help that they were overly optimistic about the timelines, nor the downturn in the economy 2008, 2012, and now.

C2E SME

Anyways, back to the Valley Line (which is nowhere near Century Park), I noticed yesterday that the track bed construction along the route south of Wagner Station is coming along nicely. They are finally prepping the intersection near the TAWA center to have track bed installed. I hope they will be able to open up that section again as it has been closed for over a year, but only now been getting work done on it.

^^You mean the downturn in 2008 and 2012 that had little effect on the spectacular growth of Edmonton and urban sprawl in general?

We have zero proof that spending billion's on LRT has reduced the rate of urban sprawl .

I didnt realize that was on of the goals of LRT. Sounds like your making up goalposts that don't exist. And smart growth is happening... not urban sprawl but that's not really anything to do with LRT...

largely failed Century Park? Where do you get that? Sure, it didn't all get built in 2 years like 2006 Edmontonians all thought it would, but realistically, its a 20-40 year build out, and it's still well in progress. Go look yourself, they are still building.

A small fraction of the build out has occurred to this date. 12 years after the initial sales. the whole project, and you know this, you were involved in the discussions here, was slated to be complete as early as 2011 or as late as 10years from 2006. Its harder to find information now, and lots of dead links but this article, which appeared in the Journal, cites an 8yr build out of the entire project.

https://www.pressreader.com/canada/e...81505041703749

Even Procura itself, on its own site was citing 10yr build out originally.

Very little of the projected build has ever happened and in 2018, 12yrs later, the only built, occupied units are those located the furthest possible distance on site to Century Park Transit, and Century Park LRT. For a build out that was supposed to be a convenient TOD.

2006, population 8,961
    You nailed it with sloth like growth of TOD's in Edmonton. As I stated its always been the case. Ever since Clareview our LRT selected terminus and stations have not led to immense TOD builds.

TOD development tends to be stronger if you are in a large city with lines going to a DT area that there is a lot of demand to go to. They work where the DT has that pull, where people would build on a line going to DT just to be close to a station and for the purpose of going DT.

In Vancouver, Toronto, London, TOD's work. Theres obviously demand going to the DT area. Work, play, etc. Most stations in the Skytrain station feature considerable build out and ramp up in property value close to the stations. Indeed the lines have transformed property prices in the areas and the developments going on there.

DT Edmonton has not had that kind of pull since the 60's. It doesn't now. In Edmonton there is not huge demand to be located, business or residential, next to an LRT terminus.

You touched on the critical element I've been stating all along. That these spurs aren't associated with huge tod build out at their terminus because there isn't much demand to be located on a LRT corridor to the DT. That demand doesn't appear to be very strong.

Medwards claims I moved the goal posts but then comes up with a 20 to 40 year build out for Century Park.

I bet he cannot find a single original presentation of the project to support his time line.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 20-12-2018 at 03:54 PM.

Me dwarfs claims I moved the goal posts but then comes up with a 20 to 40 year build out for Century Park.

I bet he cannot find a single original presentation of the project to support his time line.
    He can't even find his own quotes that support that timeline. I looked through the Century Park thread. The funny thing is he knew the actual stated timeline, he was discussing it in the Century Park thread. The longest period cited originally, by the developer, or any source in 2006 was that Century park build out would be complete within 10yrs.

It is funnier to read through that thread and see how many people were saying just wait, it'll happen, its just stalled by the economy...

Elapsed years offer interesting illustration on which prognostications were right. Its 2018.

I only mention Century Park, Clareview as they offer illustrations of the past. With a view to not repeating mistakes of the past. The interesting thing is in the case of CP those units were already designed, selling, and build out occurred. Even given that the CP build out stalled out early.

What really, are the chances that a MWTC build out that is projected to start 10-25years from now ever actually occurs? With no investors, no buyers, no partners established. Just the word of a developer that they might do something in 10-25years and "towers could happen sooner".

I also referenced the ghost town strip mall just north of the Millwoods LRT terminus as an example of the lack of activity and demand in the area. I reference the currently struggling MWTC that can't even retain tenants and anchors as other illustration of lack of retail or other demand in the area. But we're supposed to believe that impetus will happen just because of the LRT, and TOD, even though there is little Edmonton precedent in which to forecast that.
    Last edited by Replacement; 20-12-2018 at 01:12 PM.

TOD's only really work when good zoning is in place. With a City admin and council that supports it. This LRT line would see adequate TOD is neighbourhood area plans are created (Strathern, Bonnie Doon, King Edward, Kameyosek and Tawa). Relying on a mall to redevelop and build walkable streets is not the best measure as a singular solution. Rezoings are also okay, but as we've seen, stringer City policy needs to be in place around TOD, these new LRT stops/stations. Then again, as in the Hollyrood development proposal, the build-outs in relation to a SF home neighbourhood that has featured little overall physical change in decades is not a good foot-forward.

C2E Continued Contributor

TOD also works well with less competitition. TOD works really well in Vancouver because they have the agricultural land reserve, and the majority of development is infill anyways. Until there are limits on greenfield development in Edmonton, it's always going to be easier to build a new subdivision than build in an existing area or community.

Me dwarfs claims I moved the goal posts but then comes up with a 20 to 40 year build out for Century Park.

Dont play games with me. The developer was the one leading the choir of how quickly it will be built. Anyone that can apply critical thinking knew that this was a very wet dream, and not plausible in any growth scenarios.

the economy, the change of ownership/project management also had a big effect on the time line.

Can we get back to LRT now?

Quote Originally Posted by seamusmcduffs View Post
    TOD also works well with less competitition. TOD works really well in Vancouver because they have the agricultural land reserve, and the majority of development is infill anyways. Until there are limits on greenfield development in Edmonton, it's always going to be easier to build a new subdivision than build in an existing area or community.
    Agreed

I have always said that the COE missed a huge opportunity to have a Smart City and use the AHD as the boundary of a greenbelt and not let any development between the AHD and the city boundaries to encourage higher densities, brownfield redevelopment and higher transit use.

The province missed that opportunity. The greenbelt wouldn't be effective with all the leeches slurping on our borders.

the economy, the change of ownership/project management also had a big effect on the time line.

Can we get back to LRT now?
    We accept your capitulation of the debate.

Dont play games with me. The developer was the one leading the choir of how quickly it will be built. Anyone that can apply critical thinking knew that this was a very wet dream, and not plausible in any growth scenarios.

As if...
    If there was a market demand for more units at Century Park, you can bet that they would have built them far quicker.

The home buying public spoke with their wallets and bought in Beaumont and other 'leech' communities rather than Century Park.

Ready to through is the towel or are you willing to continue to lose the debate?

Yes they all bought in ******* beaumont. That's what your story is here? Really?

Edmonton 2006: 730,372.00
    Edmonton 2016: 932,546.00

That's over 200,000.00 people. Edmonton population grew by 10 beaumonts in the same time period Beaumont doubled. What does beaumont have to do with this discussion about LRT again?

Century Park has it's issues, but its not failed and is under progress. This is no reason not to try to build other TOD around the city.

Good lord. Stick with your PRT and your bread factory engineering and Quebec. and have a merry christmas.

Calm down.

Everyone can see that you lost the argument, moved the goalposts and then make personal attacks.

Your Trump side is showing. ..

Calm down.

Everyone can see that you lost the argument, moved the goalposts and then make personal attacks.

Your Trump side is showing. ..
    To think that he started with this attempted rebuttal;

"Largely failed Century Park? Where do you get that? Sure, it didn't all get built in 2 years like 2006 Edmontonians all thought it would, but realistically, its a 20-40 year build out, and it's still well in progress. Go look yourself, they are still building."

I notice too hes completely ceded the argument. Good times.

Medwards makes a preposterous argument and rationale. Ask yourself, "What other project in Edmonton has taken 20 to 40 years to build out?"

Heck, the entirety of Millwoods was built in 40 years.

Im not even sure what the point of the discussion is, and frankly you too are c2es equilavent of

And you...

Im not even sure what the point of the discussion is, and frankly you too are c2es equilavent of

Well I don't know about PRT but I like the comfy box seats. You can just continue being Fozzie bear and we'll continue to heckle. if you're nice we won't throw rotten tomatoes. heh
    Last edited by Replacement; 21-12-2018 at 11:36 AM.

Drove past Wagner today, it's nice to have context to the station so it doesn't look like some freestanding building. Before I'd have assumed it was a crane on rails like the one on the other side of the road, rather the City's first elevated train station. I'll post a picture on the return trip.

Edit: As promised. Excuse the blur:

Edit2: I can't figure out image hosting websites, hopefully it works now.
    Last edited by Foolworm; 21-12-2018 at 12:26 PM.

^edit

Its working fine now, thanks, this is one of those shots that seems like a big moment in the construction of the line. I love elevated sections as well.
    Last edited by Replacement; 21-12-2018 at 12:18 PM.

And you...

Oi you leave my buddy beaker out of this

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^^^ Great pic Foolworm, thanks. These structures are all engineered by math I get that but just looking at the horizontal structure there I get the impression that it wont take long before it sinks lower over time.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

C2E SME

More pics of Davies Station: http://transedlrt.ca/gallery/davies-station/

C2E SME

Looks like another elevated bridge section will be placed near Wagner Road and Davies Road.

C2E SME

I wonder how many of these sections are ready to be put in place?

C2E SME

There are two more up (north of Davies Station) by Wagner Road and Davies Road.

There are two more up (north of Davies Station) by Wagner Road and Davies Road.
    There's an advisory on their site for a 75 St closure on beginning of February. We might be driving under it pretty soon!

Page 71 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2161676869707172 LastLast