Page 74 of 74 FirstFirst ... 24647071727374
Results 7,301 to 7,382 of 7382

Thread: Valley Line LRT | Downtown to Millwoods | Under Construction

C2E SME

Its only going to be a regular 4 way intersection. The road going to the back of Bonnie Doon will not be part of the intersection.

C2E SME

I can't stand the drivers who drive in the right lane around the circle. Also, there were a lot of days where you'd wait five minutes on Connors Road.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E SME

^those days will be gone very soon.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    Its only going to be a regular 4 way intersection. The road going to the back of Bonnie Doon will not be part of the intersection.
    You can pretend and say it technically is 4 , but there are still 5 roads and a train that converge at that point. No roads were deleted only accessibility to all the points.

^those days will be gone very soon.
    Yea and replaced with...longer waits there or on 82nd ave.

It is technically a 4-way intersection. Because it is.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

What a beauty normal average *4 way intersection.
    Nothing strange there.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

ďSon, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmontonís skyline.Ē

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post
    What a beauty normal average *4 way intersection.
    Nothing strange there.
    Clusterfukc...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

The part not shown, just south of the clip of the *4way intersection, when the train crosses from the east side of traffic to the west.
    Then south of Bonnie Doon crosses from west to center.
    Neat. It's like the train got drunk.

The whole alignment is good, I can even live with the meandering part through Strathearn, except the traffic circle to just post 82 Ave. It's crazy and conveniently left off the videos.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

This will quickly become one of the deadliest intersections in the city. People are stupid.

It looks very controlled to me. How do you figure?

Just to clarify the schematic does 85St thru to 90Av get a flyover lane over the right hand lane exiting Connors road thru to 83st? That's what it seems to show. That offers some nice free flow potential. This design facilitates a lot of turning. More lanes for throughput as well. Wouldn't surprise me if this design handles loads better than the previous 5 way circle.

More dangerous? how? unless people totally ignore the LRT signs/controls.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I don't see any flyover of any sort on that diagram.

C2E SME

More segments have been placed over 75 Street.

C2E SME

Traffic turning southbound at the intersection appear to have a freeflow lane.

Except it freeflows directly into the train crossing across all lanes of traffic from east to the west side of 83rd street.

This is why the train has to stop at lights and wait with traffic.

It's unfortunate this never seemed to make it to the public until it was too late and the contract had been set.

It will leave the station at the right time so that it won't have to stop in most cases (sometimes in reverse direction). This isn't a big deal, it happens all the time in Calgary and the ridership there is better than Edmonton's despite that (which illustrates riders don't care). While not stopping at lights, the subways stop in Toronto sometimes as well, and we see that on the existing Edmonton LRT lines (anyone who has ridden them knows they stop at odd locations, presumably when they get out of sync), its no stress and doesn't meaningfully impact the transit time.
    Last edited by downtownone; 07-05-2019 at 08:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownone View Post
    It will leave the station at the right time so that it won't have to stop in most cases (sometimes in reverse direction). This isn't a big deal, it happens all the time in Calgary and the ridership there is better than Edmonton's despite that (which illustrates riders don't care). While not stopping at lights, the subways stop in Toronto sometimes as well, and we see that on the existing Edmonton LRT lines (anyone who has ridden them knows they stop at odd locations, presumably when they get out of sync), its no stress and doesn't meaningfully impact the transit time.
    Any time a Mass Transit carrier is made to stop at a traffic light just like any other conveyance its asinine. The LRT is carrying hundreds of people and ought to have ROW in every situation. Of course any stop at a light will result in delay and impact time. On such a high cost mass transit route any delay is magnified by number of users and the time it wastes for LRT commuters.

Its ridiculous that this traffic density area did not justify elevated track when others have.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

^Saving hundreds of millions of dollars (which can be used to build more track), at the cost of people having to wait a few seconds more at a station, is not asinine, its smart. Lets see though how it all pans out, if the ridership is fantastic, and people can still drive downtown fine, obviously this was the right decision. If the ridership sucks, then it should have been engineered more expensively.

pennywise and pound foolish is the modus operandi around here.

Just like the NAIT line, it will need hundreds of millions of dollars in rework to fix the crossings that everyone and their dog knew would be a problem before they even broke ground on this project.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.

Default No Right Turn?

Will there really be no right turn from 83rd St to 90th Ave?

Quote Originally Posted by downtownone View Post
    Yes we will see how it works out, but we can probably guess with a train weaving through traffic in the span of a few blocks just what it is going to do to a main commuting corridor.

I'd love to see the traffic model of this.

Except it freeflows directly into the train crossing across all lanes of traffic from east to the west side of 83rd street.

It's unfortunate this never seemed to make it to the public until it was too late and the contract had been set.
    The crossing south of the ex-circle should be far enough from the intersection that it won't need to be timed to the lights, there's roof for a queue just like the NE line crossing isn't timed with any lights on 82st or 112ave. It's just the Whyte ave/83 crossing that will be a disaster.
    There can only be one.

Would it really have been that expensive to cut and cover here .... the amount of work here converting this circle to signalized is already so intensive...

Almost a mini Kingsway/111 Avenue debacle here again

C2E Continued Contributor

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Pardon the noob question here but is the centerpiece elevated for the LRT?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Pardon the noob question here but is the centerpiece elevated for the LRT?
    No.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Thanks. It looks like it is because the dotted lines kind of suggest something going underneath something.

Should have just kept the train on the west side of 83rd street and then cut and cover past the traffic circle and emerge on the east side of 85 street. much more elegant.

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post
    Should have just kept the train on the west side of 83rd street and then cut and cover past the traffic circle and emerge on the east side of 85 street. much more elegant.
    This is a low floor urban lrt project. Cut and cover, unless absolutely necessary, is not elegant, requires more expensive, i.e. low smoke equipment for tunnel, more cctv, etc. If the intended project functionality is implemented accordingly, there will be insignificant impact at traffic intersections.

Nope not elevated or tunnelled, level crossings at Whyte, across 83rd Street and north of the mall

It seems like their intention is to slow everything down in this town. Snails pace is a safe pace. Bike lanes with no bikes, as many lrt level crossings as possible, lots of stop lights and four ways. Lowering speed limits everywhere. What will they do next put rumble strips on the white mud. Luckily we had the Henday done by the province or Iím sure it would still have 20 intersections with traffic lights. Iíve watched the whitemud grow into a freeway but it has taken my entire life and Iím old. Yellowhead, I likely wonít live long enough to see it finished, itís been 40+ years in the making. As a traveller I see a lot in other places that I wish we had thought of or had the guts and wherewithal to incorporate here, sometimes itís disappointing but home sweet home I guess.

Its no where as bad as you make it out to be. Perhaps if we stopped electing conservatives governments who created the infrastructure debt we are on, the same ones who did originally put lights on the SW portion of the henday

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    It seems like their intention is to slow everything down in this town. Snails pace is a safe pace. Bike lanes with no bikes, as many lrt level crossings as possible, lots of stop lights and four ways. Lowering speed limits everywhere. What will they do next put rumble strips on the white mud. Luckily we had the Henday done by the province or Iím sure it would still have 20 intersections with traffic lights. Iíve watched the whitemud grow into a freeway but it has taken my entire life and Iím old. Yellowhead, I likely wonít live long enough to see it finished, itís been 40+ years in the making. As a traveller I see a lot in other places that I wish we had thought of or had the guts and wherewithal to incorporate here, sometimes itís disappointing but home sweet home I guess.
    I agree with you.

You guys watch too much HGTV.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by GranaryMan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    It seems like their intention is to slow everything down in this town. Snails pace is a safe pace. Bike lanes with no bikes, as many lrt level crossings as possible, lots of stop lights and four ways. Lowering speed limits everywhere. What will they do next put rumble strips on the white mud. Luckily we had the Henday done by the province or I’m sure it would still have 20 intersections with traffic lights. I’ve watched the whitemud grow into a freeway but it has taken my entire life and I’m old. Yellowhead, I likely won’t live long enough to see it finished, it’s been 40+ years in the making. As a traveller I see a lot in other places that I wish we had thought of or had the guts and wherewithal to incorporate here, sometimes it’s disappointing but home sweet home I guess.
    I agree with you.
    It is the old adage, if you can't outrun your opponent, cripple them and win the race.

A slow streetcar cannot beat an automobile. So if you screw up the roads, lower speed limits, add bike paths and cause gridlock at train crossings, a sloth slow streetcar may get you to within a kilometer of where you work, a kilometer of where you shop and two kilometers of where you live.

By the time you get home, your lettuce is frozen solid
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

C2E SME

I’m disappointed that the traffic circle wasn’t left with the grade-level LRT!

C2E SME

^actually that would have been horrible. So many drivers can't drive the circle properly to begin with. I don't even want to imagine drivers trying to navigate the circle with a train going through it.

C2E SME

I'm saying it as a joke.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    I'm saying it as a joke.
    Ok, no worries. Unfortunately there are some that would actually be serious.

And even if the drivers drive properly the simulations have already predicted massive traffic jams on Whyte. Oh but we "saved" $220 million, penny wise, pound foolish
    https://globalnews.ca/news/3676948/c...lley-line-lrt/

C2E SME

And unfortunately even though not much surface construction has been done around Bonnie Doon, most I believe has been underground, they are going to be too stubborn to rework the plans and elevate the tracks.

And unfortunately even though not much surface construction has been done around Bonnie Doon, most I believe has been underground, they are going to be too stubborn to rework the plans and elevate the tracks.
    If "they" is meant to be the city, you are right.

The builder will do anything for you if you are willing to pay for a change and move the schedule to the right accordingly.

C2E SME

Taken May 14, 2019
    From 28 Avenue to near Wagner School

LRT Valley Line south construction: From Grey Nuns station to Wagner station
    by Paul Smolik, on Flickr
    Looking south from gas station parking lot

Looking northwards at future Grey Nuns Station

Looks like the area is ready for the curbs and road to be reinstalled.

Looking north from 34th Avenue

Looking south from 36A Avenue

Intersection at 36A Avenue. Looks like only thing need is to reinstall the asphalt and sidewalks as well as the lights for the intersection.

Looking south from 36A Avenue

Westbound approach at 38 Avenue. Appears that we are now waiting on sidewalks, curbs and road to be reinstalled.

Looking south from walking trail south of 38 Avenue

LRT maintenance facility

Wagner Station roof construction

Northbound approach to Wagner Station bridge spans

Piers for spans northwest of Wagner Station.

Looking northwards at piers heading towards Argyll road from Wagner Road.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Great shots. Thanks

^if some of those concrete slabs under the rail get covered by soil / grass, it will look awesome.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Indeede roonie. Plant a few flowerbeds, pansies and forget me nots. Nice.

Great photos.

Looking at some of the photos of the track beds and their scale, you'd think we're building a high speed rail or something...

Believe me, high speed it will definitely not be!
    ... gobsmacked

^true, it will be like metro/subway/LRT in most cities, top speed of about 80km/hr, average speed of about 35km/hr.

This train will not be moving at 80kmh anywhere on the line as designed

C2E SME

I hope that the train can move at 65 km/h along 75 Street.

^nope max will only be 55 (slower than posted speed limit.) it's in the project agreement.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The LRT isn't a street vehicle, so why should it be subjected to street speeds?

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    The LRT isn't a street vehicle, so why should it be subjected to street speeds?
    A great question to ask the city.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ COE is here, incognito

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    ^nope max will only be 55 (slower than posted speed limit.) it's in the project agreement.
    Perhaps at that location. It can travel at up to "not less than 70 km/hr (my bad, not 80)" .

https://www.edmonton.ca/documents/Ro...20Vehicles.pdf

See. 7.3.1.3

Yes, the LRV will have the capability of travelling up to 70km/h, but no where in the line will it actually travel that speed.

Each LRV shall:1. be capable of meeting the service requirements set out in Section 5 [Service Requirements] ofSchedule 7 [O&M Performance Requirements];2. meet the requirements for Operational Availability;3. have a maximum service speed of not less than 70kph;

Facts are always useful. Thanks.
    ďCanada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,Ē-Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    Facts are always useful. Thanks.
    Alternative facts are sooo last year. Nice to get the real scoop for a change, instead of folks grinding their axes.

Quote Originally Posted by stevester View Post
    For those curious, here is the maximum posted speed for the valley line by section from here: https://www.edmonton.ca/documents/Ro...quirements.pdf

Also, the Bombardier Flexity Freedom LRV which we are getting has a top speed of 80km/h.
    Interesting - that's back to what I put originally, per page 13, it will travel at up to 80km/hr on the Elevated Guide-way, Tunnel and Bridge. So this below appears to be incorrect:

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Yes, the LRV will have the capability of travelling up to 70km/h, but no where in the line will it actually travel that speed.

Those are fairly reasonable speeds. Iíll be curious to see what speeds the West LRT will operate at. Thereís a great deal more hard turns and more frequent stops.
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

Ok so in two small sections it will travel up to 80kmh but in all other sections it will match or be under the speed limit of the same section of road its on.

I (barely) concede the point

C2E Long Term Contributor
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I haven't seen streets dug up like that since Jasper Ave in the early '80's.

I spent the week downtown, mostly on the east side of City Hall, and hoo boy I can see how the construction makes the place so uninviting. Short-term pain for long-term gain though. Glad I was only visiting...

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

But is it short-term pain? It feels like this has been going on for years and years. I remember all the chaos from the Jasper Ave improvement project where there was a different cattle chute every day to guide you across the street to get lunch (I work in the Telus/ATB building). The hoarding that was kept in place for years in front of Paull's Travel. The various types of blocked sidewalks (many without warning) to prevent any walking in a single direction for any distance so that high rises could be constructed.

I went to get something done with my phone last week and found I couldn't cross between east and west City Centre mall using an outside path. And because one of the escalators was down I had to resort to this weirdly hidden elevator to get to the main floor.

It's been a very long time since I've experienced downtown as a welcoming experience for a stroll. And I'm not sure that the gain will be mine as I don't patronize expensive restaurants and I'm never going to stay in any of those luxury hotels.

C2E Long Term Contributor

I walked from my place to the new downtown farmer's market today and I have to say it was a pain in the arse to do so. I wanted to cut diagonally across Churchill Square since that was deemed the fastest route for me. But all the construction projects such as the Valley Line LRT expansion, Milner library revamp and Churchill Square wading pool renovation prevented me from taking that route and forced me to use a more roundabout route via 102 Ave, 99 St, 102A Ave and 97 St. I doubt I'll be back to the market this year - or if I do go, I'm driving there.
    ďYou have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.Ē - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Downtown for everyone*

please ignore that you cant easily walk about Edmontons most walkable neighbourhood becuase poor planning / city management in regards to construction hoarding and barriers

C2E SME

It's really sad to see the state of affairs in Edmonton's Transit System. The LRT is broken down with the signalling, buses run late on a regular basis, and LRT escalators and elevators are broken down.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

All LRT underground (others?) stations are getting a lighting upgrade. 102nd Ave track laying is (apparently) only for this month. Relax people. Its temporary.

We need improvements! Lower my taxes too.

I hate the construction of these improvements!

We should've spent more money on this stuff! Lower my taxes.

I love Edmonton logic.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

That's not just Edmonton logic. I hear the respondent say it all the time when we do municipal satisfaction surveys. We just did one for Lacomb and about to do one for Beaumont. "Out of what 5 tax strategy's would you support the most." Its almost always more for less.

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post

I love Edmonton logic.
    And all this should have been done in the 1990s before costs tripled or quadrupled, when we were electing mayors to keep taxes down, cut costs... and newspaper article after newspaper article highlighted every horrendous 2 or 3% tax increase.

Too much in this article to ignore so I won’t even put in a quote. It is a MUST READ for some history (and this link should probably be posted to multiple c2e threads!

The state of Edmonton’s downtown ten years ago: From the Journal archives

DAVID STAPLES, EDMONTON JOURNAL
    Updated: November 10, 2011

Sun Apr 15 2001
    Page: E7
    Section: Sunday Reader
    Byline: Vicki Hall, Journal Staff Writer
    Dateline: Edmonton
    Source: The Edmonton Journal

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...urnal-archives

Ok, just one quote! The majority of people only see what the see and a very very small minority see what can be:

“I don’t know of another city on the continent where you could buy a nine-acre parcel across from City Hall that is not fragmented in ownership,” says Ken Cantor, commercial manager for Qualico. “It’s an amazing opportunity.”

Cantor hopes to attract high-tech companies to his new development. Part of the reason Intuit decided to locate in the suburbs was the lack of new office space in the city centre.

Last edited by KC; Yesterday at 11:42 AM.

Having lived for more-than-tourist-time in a few places in the US, which included my 2-newspapers-with-morning-coffee habit, this sentiment is defintely NOT unique to Edmonton.

^ Of corse not. People are pretty much the same everywhere. See, I even cheesed out on a 'u' in my first sentence.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

There has been 18 LRT stations since 1978 of which 6 of them have been underground. Eleven more stations will be added next year

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Edmonton_LRT_stations

There wasn't much appetite for LRT expansion during the Jan Reimer and Bill Smith years. We're making up for lost time with Valley and the WLRT. So I'd say we're doing pretty good

C2E SME

Meanwhile Calgary has had LRT since 1981 and has 45 stations all using the same type of trains.

There was a long time that our council had no foresight.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

That was between the Reimer and Smith years. The St. Albert line should be the next stage in LRT expansion even during the construction of WLRT. Thanks too Preimier Kenney and his carbon tax appeal bill, we will lose some of that carban tax rebate money that went to LRT expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post

I love Edmonton logic.
    Here's some poor logic for you:

Because you are ideologically aligned with several members of our current council you are prepared to join the bucket brigade for their compounding poor infrastructure decisions. Perhaps if Donnie-boy knew in his first mayoral term Trudeau was going to tank so badly that there wouldn't be a warm cabinet seat waiting for him he would have done the hard work of trying to fix the bureaucracy before watching them turn every project into a boondoggle.

Page 74 of 74 FirstFirst ... 24647071727374