Page 66 of 70 FirstFirst ... 1656626364656667686970 LastLast
Results 6,501 to 6,600 of 6990

Thread: Valley Line LRT | Downtown to Millwoods | Under Construction

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    For all the nay sayers who think this line is just like the Capital line.
    http://edmontonjournal.com/business/...-redevelopment
    Heritage Mall? I mean Century Park?
    last I checked it is finally under development.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

C2E Hard Core Contributor

They sent out the winning proposals for the art at each station

https://www.edmontonarts.ca/static_m..._PublicArt.pdf

Some of them are very nice, some of them are huge misses, and some just look like add ons to the structures rather than true art.

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    They sent out the winning proposals for the art at each station

https://www.edmontonarts.ca/static_m..._PublicArt.pdf

Some of them are very nice, some of them are huge misses, and some just look like add ons to the structures rather than true art.
    Oh...
    Wow, the Strathearn 'art' is like 1970s landscape wall paper. UV resistant film applied to the shelter glass...no one will scratch or peel that that's basically the same as a lifestyle add on a Shoppers Drug Mart window. Am I missing something?
    That's incredibly disappointing. What a massive missed opportunity.

It's hard to believe that going high is so much more expensive than surface. The carnage currently underway on 83 st is just getting started. The latest is huge storm sewer pre-casts - that's not cheap! And instead of going over the Bonnie Doon traffic circle, they are planning to demolish it and create two T-intersections and partially block 85 st.

You can make any alternative unpalatable simply by falsifying the numbers on paper and repeating the big lie over and over again.

I firmly believe that one of the goals of the Transportation Department was to use the LRT as an excuse to eliminate the BD traffic circle.

That precludes any attempt to elevate the line over Whyte Ave. otherwise people would question why not extend the Whyte Ave overpass to go over the BD parking lot and traffic circle.

Funny that they could do it over Argyll, the tracks and have an elevated station in a empty field. But of course that is entirely different in their minds, It is unfair to rationalize an apples to apples comparison on the same line. Sarcasm a foot deep.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 24-01-2018 at 07:10 AM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by K364 View Post
    It's hard to believe that going high is so much more expensive than surface. The carnage currently underway on 83 st is just getting started. The latest is huge storm sewer pre-casts - that's not cheap! And instead of going over the Bonnie Doon traffic circle, they are planning to demolish it and create two T-intersections and partially block 85 st.
    One intersection, no? With 85th north-bound essentially being diverted to either proceed east or south.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Capture of the redesigned intersection from this vid:

Keep in mind this vid was created based on preliminary designs that may have changed.
    Last edited by lat; 24-01-2018 at 11:36 AM.

Weird to have a right turn free flow lane from 85th st. southbound to Connors Road North bound that would have minimum traffic BUT no right turn free flow lane from Conners Road SB to 83rd St. SB, a very heavy traffic route. Makes absolutely no sense.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Weird to have a right turn free flow lane from 85th st. southbound to Connors Road North bound that would have minimum traffic BUT no right turn free flow lane from Conners Road SB to 83rd St. SB, a very heavy traffic route. Makes absolutely no sense.
    I wouldn't read too much into a preview video from 6 years ago. Below is a capture from the 2017 design booklet on www.transedlrt.ca, which shows a free flow lane from Connors to 83 St.

https://imgur.com/a/DD1DN
    Screenshot from this PDF: http://transedlrt.ca/wp-content/uplo...rt_booklet.pdf

TransEd in their public plans release and most traffic plans I've seen conclude that there is a southbound "free flow" lane off Connors Road.

Page: 33 for reference: https://www.edmonton.ca/documents/Ro...rt_booklet.pdf

That may have changed. Anyone have an up to date confirmation?

Have any of the designs or road configurations changed since last year?

TransEd just told me that the roadwork and intersection is the same as in the brochure we just posted.

C2E SME

Well remember that the route down 83st will not be as busy once the LRT is open. For one thing all the bus routes out of Mill Woods will be rerouted and reassigned because the LRT will handle lots of those passengers. I think the goal of this new configuration is to send more traffic to 75th street instead of 83 street.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Bombardier to display new Light Rail Vehicle for Valley Line
    DISRUPTIONNOTICEAREA 4
    EDMONTON, AB – January 29, 2018 – TransEd and Bombardier Transportation are inviting the citizens of Edmonton to view firsthand the features of the new low-floor Light Rail Vehicle (LRV) that will be used for the Valley Line.

From Friday, Feb. 2 to Tuesday, Feb. 6, a fully-accessible mock-up of the new Bombardier LRV will be on display in the east lot of the Bonnie Doon Mall, open from 1:00 to 5:00 p.m. on Friday Feb 2, and from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. for the remaining days. Staff will be available to answer questions.

Please join us at the east parking lot of the Bonnie Doon Mall (82 Ave and 83 St) for the following activities:

Fun activities and treats for the kids on the afternoon of Saturday, Feb. 3
    HOT 107 FM live broadcast remote from the site Feb. 3
    Bombardier is holding a contest for the best group photo in front of the mock-up with a grand prize of $1,000 to the winning group.

For more information, visit our website http://transedlrt.ca/advisories or contact us via email at [email protected] or by phone 780-224-0964.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Interesting design. I'm not sure abt the articulated elements here. Seems like cost cutting measure to me. The car doesn't look that long enough to warrant an articulated piece of material in between a car of that size. Or is this just a working model?
    Last edited by envaneo; 31-01-2018 at 11:30 AM.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Keep in mind some of the radius' that they face in a more urban environment.
    www.decl.org

pretty similar to the ones I took in Paris:

source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iu5nnSz9zA

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Uh-huh. I get that. The WLRT is a low floor urban streetcar. Thanks for the replay though Ian.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post

Kind of unattractive imo, uggh.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Uh-huh. I get that. The WLRT is a low floor urban streetcar. Thanks for the replay though Ian.
    ?
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ Its just my response Ian.

^ Its just my response Ian.
    Okay then... thanks for the contribution.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

LRT portion of a rambling dissertation to Scott McKeen just now:

Hi Scott,

It’s your downtown adjutant (agitator?) again with some random thoughts:

1) West LRT. Do not dare to let administration bully you into a level crossing. 109 Street and 104 ave is badly congested as it is and the suggestion that it’s all the fault of the High Level Bridge is just silly. And of course, to get their way, administration will give you only the most expensive options.

Just like the mess that is Kingsway and 111 ave with the Metro line, and will be with 83 Street and Whyte Ave, a level crossing at 109 Street and 104 Ave will be an inevitable disaster forcing emergency vehicles to make lengthy and perhaps life threatening detours.

Just like the mess that is Kingsway and 111 ave with the Metro line, and will be with 83 Street and Whyte Ave, a level crossing at 109 Street and 104 Ave will increase vehicle congestion thereby increasing greenhouse gas emissions.

There’s just no winning scenario for a level crossing there. Nada, zip, bupkis.

2) City Hall. .. blah, blah, blah - elsewhere on this board
    ... gobsmacked

South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

Quote Originally Posted by B.ike View Post

Quite unattractive.
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

Bordeaux doing it right

C2E SME

Looks like Connors Road will be closed starting March 23.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    Looks like Connors Road will be closed starting March 23.
    Only northbound though (heading towards downtown), correct?
    Edmonton, Capital of Alberta

Chaos

Wait until they try putting LRT down Whyte Ave.

I like a little chaos.

Wait until they try putting LRT down Whyte Ave.
    It'll be 1 lane each direction for a while, same as if they had to rip up the pavement to resurface.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    Chaos

With all the time and work going into closing 102 Avenue for this project it’s too bad we are getting such a half assed mistake of a system. The disruption to cut and cover a system
    for underground LRT wouldn’t be any more disruptive. Disgusting how much this line costs and how little we are actually getting for our dollar. Our current LRT system is a disaster and I have no faith this new line will be any better.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    With all the time and work going into closing 102 Avenue for this project it’s too bad we are getting such a half assed mistake of a system. The disruption to cut and cover a system
    for underground LRT wouldn’t be any more disruptive. Disgusting how much this line costs and how little we are actually getting for our dollar. Our current LRT system is a disaster and I have no faith this new line will be any better.
    With all the buried utilities under the road, let alone the disruption to the roadway and road structure itself, an underground cut and cover would be far more disruptive because it would take way way longer.

I like our system from University to Churchill. God were we smart back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    With all the buried utilities under the road, let alone the disruption to the roadway and road structure itself, an underground cut and cover would be far more disruptive because it would take way way longer.

You are totally correct Channing

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

GTS (Gondola Transportation System) everything after Valley phase 1. How many more self inflicted wounds do we need to have here?

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    I like our system from University to Churchill. God were we smart back then.
    Yup job done right the first time

Yes we were smart in the beginning.
    The original 6.9 kilometers from Belvedere to Central with 3 ground stations and 2 massive underground stations was built for $68 million in a couple of years and with almost ZERO disruption At $10M/kilometer including extensive tunneling or about $53M/km in today's dollars. By 1983 we added 6.2 kilometers including Clairview, and two more massive underground stations, Bay and Corona for $105M, ($294M today) at a cost of $17M/km ($47M/km today)

Then the COE went stupid.
    Compare that with the Metro Line, the most expensive LRT project per kilometer in the World. Costing $665M ($786M today) plus additional necessary upgrading costs for 3.3 km, over $200M/km ($238M/km today) or the River Valley line, almost all above ground and no underground stations, this 'more economical urban streetcar' still costs $1.8B for 13 kilometers, $138M/km

At what point does LRT become unsustainable?
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 15-03-2018 at 06:48 AM.

The original Belvedere to Central with 3 ground stations and 2 massive underground stations was built for $68 million in a couple of years and with almost ZERO disruption. Compare that with the Metro Line, the most expensive LRT project per kilometer in the World.
    Almost zero disruption ?!!!! Were you here?

Yes I visited the site often, Jasper was closed during construction. There were ways to get around the construction area. But afterwards there was ZERO disruption. Was traffic disrupted like at 112th on the Metro Line? Will 109th on the WLRT have no issues?

Yes I visited the site often, Jasper was closed during construction. There were ways to get around the construction area. But afterwards there was ZERO disruption. Was traffic disrupted like at 112th on the Metro Line? Will 109th on the WLRT have no issues?
    Zero disruption? It had a negative impact on traffic that downtown's never really fully recovered from, especially when places like WEM capitalized on the opportunity to decrease the relative importance of downtown as a retail/employment node.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

I'm thinking PRT means since construction finished.

Obviously, PRT was upset during construction, as he was when the 99th street businesses had a year long closure of scona road to allow it to be rebuild....

You know that 99th street was a fiasco as the understaffed Lafarge Company had too many projects on the go at the same time and left the 99th street project for weeks at a time with only a few workers, if any for days on end.

and you know I don't buy that, and rightly called you out on your assertions.

No, you are using a a deflection and trying to disparage the Gondola Project. I support smart LRT projects but the new projects as you have said yourself are costly, no faster than existing express buses, disruptive and there are major issues at places such as whyte/83rd ave and you have argued in support of grade separation. It is well known that gondolas construction is far, far less disrupting and the installed system is totally grade separated and does not interfere with traffic or pedestrians.

Yes, you are once again derailing threads about LRT with your pet projects. Maybe use the existing Gondola thread to talk about your crazy ideas that aren't LRT related, PLEASE.

This thread is for discussion about the Valley line LRT construction.

Actually you derailed it with your 99th street comment.

actually, that was just point about LRT construction, you then went off on the gondola tangent, like you have in other LRT threads. Please stop.

You sound like a Transportation Planner at a public transit meeting.

You sound like a guy who brings up PRT at a meeting discussing LRT implementations

So the river crossing is delayed by "many months" due to excavation issues. Heard they found an unexpected concrete slab. Anyone confirm or provide more details?
    Edmonton, Capital of Alberta

Delays on the Valley Line. It sounds like Trans Ed will be fined for this.

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...ine-lrt-bridge

The Tawatina Bridge includes a pedestrian bridge that will now be delayed by “many months” as a result. It was expected to be completed by 2019. However, the overall construction of the LRT project is not expected to be impacted and crews expect construction to be completed on time in 2020.
    There are penalties that TransEd will incur, but the value will not be released at this time.
    From MattyW's link.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E SME

Looks like the tunnel broke through:

https://mobile.twitter.com/JThompson...61509332570112

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

No, you are using a a deflection and trying to disparage the Gondola Project. I support smart LRT projects but the new projects as you have said yourself are costly, no faster than existing express buses, disruptive and there are major issues at places such as whyte/83rd ave and you have argued in support of grade separation. It is well known that gondolas construction is far, far less disrupting and the installed system is totally grade separated and does not interfere with traffic or pedestrians.
    Classic PRT, love it.

That is a cool mystery! I’m trying to gauge the depositional environment of the area to give you all an age of the slab. But 9 meters deep makes me wonder if this doesn’t go back to the days when there was that tunnel at the foot of the Hotel MacDonald.

I sympathize with TransEd and the project manager. This one is completely understandable for a delay.

lots of old coal mines in the area. I wonder though why they cannot break it and take it out?

Is it a remnant of the prison?
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 15-03-2018 at 08:17 PM.

At first I was kinda hoping we’d get some dynamite action but when I read the article it says the slab is under the river.

Honestly it could have come from anywhere. It’s hard to say whether or not the ice flow could pluck an object that big. I’ll ask some geologists tomorrow.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ This was property of W.H Clark lumber back in 1903.

Some people are bringing up the idea of using gondolas instead of lrt. They are dreaming in technicolour. Gondolas don't have heat nor air conditioning. They don't normally have a number of stops for some very good reasons. The stops are bulky buildings which, if built at ground level, would impede traffic. If you want to provide access to people with mobility issues, you would need at least one attendant at each stop. They would need to shut down the line while the individual stepped on and sat down. A gondola from Downtown to Whyte will likely get plenty of use, but using it to replace lrt is just a non starter.

C2E SME

Community updates:

http://transedlrt.ca/resources/

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by lostcook View Post
    View from the Sunlife building yesterday:
    I was looking at this picture on the thread for Stantec tower and I liked how it is also showing the progress with the new connecting entrance for Churchill LRT station.

C2E SME

From the Valley Line LRT Twitter Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valley Line LRT Twitter Account

Big news! Here's the first Valley Line LRV completed in Kingston! @BombardierRail It will arrive in Edmonton this summer!

Lovin' the look of these.
    www.decl.org

Sleeker than those later LRT cars we currently have. Oddly, these look more built for speed.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    Chaos

if you aren't happy about that is going on that street, get yourself a box of kleenex or be happy once the construction is over.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

^^^Woot!
    www.decl.org

I wonder if the inside of that LRV is complete and if they will give us pics soon! Lookin' good.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The design is nice, looks like the drivers will have their own external entrance

I hope that Edmonton’s Flexities have a better seating layout than the ones on the TTC. I found the seating can be a bit cramped and people with back packs can have a hard time squeezing though if there are people standing. Ideally people should remove them from their backs and carry them by hand when it gets crowded.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

C2E SME

I really like the look of the trains. So how many of those are we getting right away?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by norwoodguy View Post
    I hope that Edmonton’s Flexities have a better seating layout than the ones on the TTC. I found the seating can be a bit cramped and people with back packs can have a hard time squeezing though if there are people standing. Ideally people should remove them from their backs and carry them by hand when it gets crowded.

If you have ever been on a ETS bus during peak hours when its standing room only you'd know how silly that sounds. Many a time I'm on the side seat at the back entrance and often I get back packs in my face. I nudge the backpack/passenger away and I get a "Sorry." Most passengers that way are pretty polite.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Oops, Bolding is mine

If you have ever been on a ETS bus during peak hours when its standing room only you'd know how silly that sounds. Many a time I'm on the side seat at the back entrance and often I get back packs in my face. I nudge the backpack/passenger away and I get a "Sorry." Most passengers that way are pretty polite.
    Sadly an all too common occurrence, seems like common sense to remove your backpack when boarding a crowded vehicle.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

New proposed / draft bus lines that will connect to the Valley Line: https://www.edmonton.ca/documents/PD..._ALLROUTES.pdf

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by norwoodguy View Post
    Sadly an all too common occurrence, seems like common sense to remove your backpack when boarding a crowded vehicle.
    Thanks for the response.

Its not melodramatic or anything. Just part of riding transit in a city. For example when I wait for my 3pm #187 bus outside my place to Clareview station the only thing I have on my mind is getting to work. I wont be rude or anything about it but I don't care about anything or anybody. I'm focused on going to work. I'm usually the only one at my bus stop at that hour anyway. The #187 is a school run. Many times there's no time to remove ones back pack outside the bus. You've got to show your bus pass to the driver before boarding anyway. Once the bus driver closes that door, he's gone into traffic. I got to hold onto something otherwise I'd have my feet separated from the bus floor along with the rest of me These low floor busses have a lot of torque and control, and if your not holding onto a pole or something in the bus before you get your seat (if you can find one during peak hours) you could end up in a accident inside the bus. Many times the bus driver once the passenger is inside the bus, the driver is in traffic. Now if the passenger is a senior or using a walker or someone has a stroller, most ETS drivers will wait until the passenger has found a seat. I show my senior bus pass before I set one foot in the bus. The driver lowers the front step (in most cases) for me. I got to walk 2-3 steps but I'm for the most part grabbing that pole (its within arms reach of my first step) with my left hand holding on to the shoulder strap of my backpack with the other. After that in the bus before the driver revs up to leave. Its all done so fast almost in one motion. There's no time to remove ones backpack until on the train at Clareview station I'll remove my back pack if the train isn't crowded and put the back pack beside me when its not. When the train gets crowded then I'll put the backpack on my lap. This is just natural in most cases riding ETS. Its not a big deal. I'll always let a fellow senor on ahead of me but if its a stroller I'm on first otherwise its like your riding a surfboard trying to get a seat.

And now we get the interior, again from the Valley Line LRT Twitter Account:
    Ok everyone, since we had so much fun with the exterior of our new LRV yesterday, here's a look at the inside! This LRV is on schedule to be delivered this summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ustauk View Post
    From the Valley Line LRT Twitter Account

Big news! Here's the first Valley Line LRV completed in Kingston! @BombardierRail It will arrive in Edmonton this summer!
    If you made seats facing each other, allowed entry from any door, and put covers over the wheels, could an articulated bus look enough like a train to overcome the hypothetical bus stigma? Thinking of that for the rapid bus routes and non-LRT serviced areas, like Heritage Valley Park'n'ride to Century Park.
    Last edited by Ustauk; 27-03-2018 at 02:37 PM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Not much room. Standing room only at peak hours could be problematic for riders on/off type thing.

Not much room. Standing room only at peak hours could be problematic for riders on/off type thing.
    There does seem to be a lot less wasted space compared to capital line trains. Also less seats facing each other. Would have been better to have seats just on the edge facing in similar to trains in larger cities like Tokyo. Capital line trains often have too little standing room during rush hour, but a high abundance of seats off peak. Hopefully these LRV's has a better balance.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ It was mentioned somewhere above that these LRV's have ~ 250 seating capacity/car add maybe another 25 SRO. Are we what looking at 2-3 cars on train?

The Capital line (at least out to Clareview) is SRO to Belvedere from ~ 4:00pm-5:30pm. After that it things thin out a bit. WLRT riders are going to be squeezed like sardines in a can. Never mind having 2 lanes of traffic merging into one East of the 156th street intersection.

I like the design of these cars though. Looking forward to trying one out when this comes online in 2024. If I'm alive.

Looks like more room than the current trains to me. More doors too, which means more standing room available for peak hours.

Quote Originally Posted by danimori View Post
    Would have been better to have seats just on the edge facing in similar to trains in larger cities like Tokyo. Capital line trains often have too little standing room during rush hour, but a high abundance of seats off peak. Hopefully these LRV's has a better balance.
    The layout in the photos is pretty much what the TTC has so I definitely agree that bench style edge seating like the NY MTA trains would have better capacity and passenger flow. Standing room only during rush hour is going to make getting out of the middle seating area a real ordeal. And as I mentioned earlier back packs are really a no go in those areas.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    Looks like more room than the current trains to me. More doors too, which means more standing room available for peak hours.
    I ride the LRT on a daily basis, this looks like seating almost shoulder to shoulder. Looks wider at doors because lack of seats. Also note the raised off the floor seats, not sure I like that idea. Is that a slope ledge between the glass and seats? Am I going to have to sit besides some guys foot because the guy opposite wants to stretch out?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    I ride the LRT on a daily basis, this looks like seating almost shoulder to shoulder. Looks wider at doors because lack of seats. Also note the raised off the floor seats, not sure I like that idea. Is that a slope ledge between the glass and seats? Am I going to have to sit besides some guys foot because the guy opposite wants to stretch out?
    I also ride the LRT on a daily basis. Notice the lack of floor to ceiling dividers between the door and seats, the additional bars for standing-room passengers. It also looks like there is some sort of handlebar between the seats, which could facilitate a person or two standing in between seats if there's room.

Far more open near the doors and down the middle. Higher backs on the seats provides a bit of separation, which is nice. It all looks like it's meant to facilitate hopping on and off rather than waiting for the mass exodus at the terminus.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ The extra railings are nice. I don't like how passengers have to step up to get a seat though. Looks like about 6 seats/car between 2 articulated sections. They look nice though

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

The reason those seats have a step up is because that's where the bogies are, it's the only way to get low floor. The priority seats won't have that step.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ At first i thought with the dip from ceiling to window frame was for overhead luggage. What no cup holders?

www.decl.org

Just wanted to chime in on a few topics:

First, while it is disappointing that the central section isn't tunneled ala Eglinton Crosstown it will have virtually exclusive row no? SO it should still move pretty quickly, it also cuts down construction time (Eglinton will have begun and ended before and after this project).

Second, I really wish TransEd would post more videos etc, the Crosstown team frequently posts video status updates and time lapses of significant works.

Third, having been on the similar new Toronto streetcars I do have to say that getting out from the sections without doors (whose arrangement as was mentioned is due to the bogies) is almost impossible when the train is packed, however it is nice that the Edmonton cars seem to have far superior screens as well as a slightly more spacious arrangement. However I'm still a little confused why unlike the Paris tram above and the Flexities on the Gold Coast light rail, these trains do not have 4 doors on the central segments.

Fourth, anyone have pictures of the OMC? I'm curious how its coming along

C2E SME

Some of the track beds on 66 Street are starting to open up and the two concrete foundations for the Whitemud bridge have been poured. If someone is out with a camera on 66 Street, there’s a lot of action.

Quote Originally Posted by reecemartin View Post
    Just wanted to chime in on a few topics:

First, while it is disappointing that the central section isn't tunneled ala Eglinton Crosstown it will have virtually exclusive row no? SO it should still move pretty quickly, it also cuts down construction time (Eglinton will have begun and ended before and after this project).

Second, I really wish TransEd would post more videos etc, the Crosstown team frequently posts video status updates and time lapses of significant works.

Third, having been on the similar new Toronto streetcars I do have to say that getting out from the sections without doors (whose arrangement as was mentioned is due to the bogies) is almost impossible when the train is packed, however it is nice that the Edmonton cars seem to have far superior screens as well as a slightly more spacious arrangement. However I'm still a little confused why unlike the Paris tram above and the Flexities on the Gold Coast light rail, these trains do not have 4 doors on the central segments.

Fourth, anyone have pictures of the OMC? I'm curious how its coming along
    The whole line will operate in its own ROW making movement quite easy and even with light prioritization to a degree, there should be few interuptions. 102 ave in Edmonton, even Downtown, isn't as busy as almost any road of its kind in a central area in Metro Van (where I think you're from, if I'm correct). The current stlye through Downtown provides a less expensive, integrated street-level, infrastructure-low system, and yes, can shave on constructon time. As mayors and the FCM has been saying for years is that we need consistent infrastrcuture and transit funding so cities can properly plan, forecast, and fund plans and builing their systems in phases and with assurance it'll be built and they'll have the money no matter who is in government at whatever level.

I think if Edmonton's central population and densities in the core were higher, an underground central section would have been more feasible. This projet, even just the 1st leg, will dramatically shift the pradigm in Edmonton.

Any knowledge on OMC progress?

Trans Ed said they will use whatever system is in place at the time of the line's opening. Fare regulation is up to the City. City's is aiming for 2020 launch. So, finger's crossed?

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    Trans Ed said they will use whatever system is in place at the time of the line's opening. Fare regulation is up to the City. City's is aiming for 2020 launch. So, finger's crossed?
    Yep got a bunch of responses from them which is generally filler. The strange point is it doesn't seem that there are real provisions for smart card readers being built in now, I don't look forward to whatever Gerry Rigged solution people get forced to use.

If you think the City of Edmonton administration even understands the concept of being proactive, even insofar as being cognizant of not stepping on their own internal projects/policies/plans/goals it's pretty clear you're not from around here. Jerry rigging is a tradition around these parts.

Well thats why people need to show up at meetings etc. and hold their feet to the fire!

Since it seems like there has not been much discussion regarding vehicles here I'm not sure how many know that Waterloo's ION LRT is going to be opening relatively soon and uses a very similar setup to the Valley Line so looking at it can be a nice preview of things to come~

A few notes about the differences:
    -Waterloos System is setup to use 5 segment LRV's (in up to 2 car arrangements), other than the screens inside and the number of segments the trains are identical
    -A few sections of the Waterloo system are split in single directional sections something I'm happy Edmonton steered clear of
    -Waterloos system DOES integrate smart card payment from day one however they are being quite boneheaded and not using the PRESTO system used on every other major system in Ontario

Video:

Page 66 of 70 FirstFirst ... 1656626364656667686970 LastLast