Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Global News

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I also heard a rumour that Quinn Ohler is leaving. Anyone know if it's true? I sure hope not.

Just strengthens my idea that "this is my city" ad is a curse and every time a new one is made more of them leave.

I'm sure "this is my city" ad is played in every Global market across the country.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    I'm sure "this is my city" ad is played in every Global market across the country.

Nope... it is a local production and only airs on Global Edmonton.
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Anyone know when is Nicola's last day at Global? Apart from the Marty Forbes piece, haven't heard anything else about her departure to CRUZ.
    Her Facebook page says she made an announcement this past week about leaving Global. As well her co-host on CRUZ says they will be on the air in May. Date is TBA.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry N View Post

Why would they play it anywhere but here?? Do you see similar ones from other cities on our Global feed? People really need to think before posting on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post

Why would they play it anywhere but here?? Do you see similar ones from other cities on our Global feed? People really need to think before posting on here.

They are the same ones as I witnessed today in the right lane and signalling for a left turn and ACTUALLY turning left.
    Grrrrrrrrrrrr

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post

Would you please quit thread sh1tting and get off my case?

Who's to say they can't use the song, change up the local celebrities and use it in a half dozen Canadian cities?

Now you're on ignore you dumb f*ck.

Whoa, seems like a couple of brew ha ha's going on this aft.
    Maybe a touch of this gentlemen.............

http://ca.askmen.com/money/body_and_...er_living.html
    Last edited by Gemini; 15-03-2015 at 06:01 PM.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

I'm not sure why everyone is making a big deal out of this

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    I'm not sure why everyone is making a big deal out of this

A very well done promo

C2E Long Term Contributor

Anyone know when is Nicola's last day at Global? Apart from the Marty Forbes piece, haven't heard anything else about her departure to CRUZ.
    Her Facebook page says she made an announcement this past week about leaving Global. As well her co-host on CRUZ says they will be on the air in May. Date is TBA.
    Just read on GigCity that Lochlin Cross is starting at CRUZ in May, so I presume that's when Nicola is moving over.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Nicola Crosbie farewell
    http://globalnews.ca/video/1904343/n...a9c1ae6127c137

Thankfully she didn't lose it like Carrie Doll did when she left CTV.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I think I love her. lol. She's sweet. Miss her already.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Early review of Crosbie & Cross on 95.7 CRUZ FM:

Cross is fine but there's zero chemistry with his co-host. Hearing Nicola without being able to see Nicola diminishes her appeal by about 98% Yikes!

I touched on this earlier in the thread. Doing the weather, she always sounded like a strident schoolteacher to me. I imagine that sans visual, this aspect of her has been magnified substantially.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

https://twitter.com/GlobalEdmonton/s...26425740861441

Global Edmonton ‏@GlobalEdmonton
    Meet Jesse Beyer, @globaledmonton's new chief meteorologist & News Hour weather anchor! #yegwx http://bit.ly/1KKLPYv

On a related note, Lynda Steele is moving to talk radio (Vancouver's equivalent of CHED) starting in Sept
    http://www.cknw.com/2015/06/18/the-l...knw-this-fall/

Shaye Ganan will be away until sometime in September as his wife has to undergo medical treatment. Good luck to both of them.

Watching Global News for the first time in a while (CTV has footie). Phucking hell what a horrid newscast. So little local content in favor of canned stories from Calgary and the States, which just drags the show. Still the crappy weather cams that skip and freeze. Gord is still a steady rock, but Nancy constantly trips over her own tongue (at least she's stopped flailing her hands around). Margeaux is OK but no match for Nicola's goofy charm, might check back to see how Jesse fares. The Shaw ads with those little white creatures are grating, as are the shomi ads.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Gord and Kevin Karius, Shaye Ganan are the only reasons I'd watch Global.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

C2E Posting Power

Watching Global News for the first time in a while (CTV has footie). Phucking hell what a horrid newscast. So little local content in favor of canned stories from Calgary and the States, which just drags the show. Still the crappy weather cams that skip and freeze. Gord is still a steady rock, but Nancy constantly trips over her own tongue (at least she's stopped flailing her hands around). Margeaux is OK but no match for Nicola's goofy charm, might check back to see how Jesse fares. The Shaw ads with those little white creatures are grating, as are the shomi ads.
    Agreed....makes me sick to my stomach to watch it now.....probably more Calgary contenct then local content....guess it's a toss up between the mafia controlled network or CTV....equal in my books.....

I don't watch Global. I watch CTV Edmonton, and then I often switch to catch the first 15 minutes of the CTV Vancouver cast.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Looks like most of the maternity leave crew are back now.

I also heard a rumour that Quinn Ohler is leaving. Anyone know if it's true? I sure hope not.
    I missed the gist of the bit, but Kevin Karius and Margaux Morin presented Quinn Ohler with a bouquet last night, with much giggling going on. Anyone know what's happening there?
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

^ Leaving the late night news, going back to weekend news.

Carole Anne Devaney ‏@CADevaney .
    @GlobalEdmonton is saying goodbye to @LisaWolansky today. We wish her all the best

John Sexsmith battling prostate cancer, which is likely why nobody's seen him on-air for a while.
    http://globalnews.ca/news/2262831/mo...king-on-living

Gah that's awful. Here's hoping for good things.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I'm mostly a CFRN guy but that's tough. I hope he wins this fight.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Oh damn, good thoughts John Sexsmith..

I'm more interested in Seanna Collins' new show:

starting this Thursday, she will be appearing on a new show on Global called EVERYTHING EDMONTON, a half hour news-magazine style program designed to profile Edmonton and area businesses.

Through a casual lifestyle approach, local businesses will have the opportunity to share an inside look at their products and services. It’s a locally produced program and Seanna will showcase five Edmonton businesses on the program. EVERYTHING EDMONTON debuts Thursday Feb. 26th at 10:30 a.m. and repeats Saturday Feb. 28th at 12 p.m.
    Holy smokes! This show is actually being aired on Global right now (10:30am). Why doesn't Global Edmonton promote this program so people would know it exists?

This is brutal. 235 collisions yesterday in Edmonton due to the light snowfall and do you think Global could mention it during their local newscast this morning? Not on your life. Looked on their website and no mention. I mean, we're talking about 235 collisions on the city streets. Unreal. Even looked around at the Edmonton Journal and nary a mention. The death of local news indeed. Oh, but CBC has it covered, of course.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...sday-1.3924080

I'd wonder, apart from the number, if dumb Edmonton drivers are an actual news story.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

First One is Always Free

Probably many of them were minor collisions not worthy of news coverage
    Greatest City in the world.

No, it's not that they were going to report on individual collisions, its the fact they didn't mention the fact that all around there was 235 collisions. They used to report this all the time when many collisions occurred

https://twitter.com/TheWestBlock/sta...76796608413697

It's official.....Vassy Kapelos permanent host of The West Block, tune in Sunday 11am et on Global TV for The West Block with Vassy Kapelos.
    Always liked her.

https://twitter.com/TheWestBlock/sta...76796608413697

It's official.....Vassy Kapelos permanent host of The West Block, tune in Sunday 11am et on Global TV for The West Block with Vassy Kapelos.
    Always liked her.
    Well that's a no brainer.

Notice Tom Vernon, who took over Vassy's role as provincial affairs reporter in Alberta, has moved to Ottawa to fill Vassy's former post?

^ Not according to his twitter
    https://twitter.com/TomVernonGlobal/...37239074033665

Kevin MacDonald CMA‏ @k_macd11 Apr 6
    Wo wo wo when did @TomVernonGlobal go to #Otttawa? I see a trend...become #abgov reporter and then move East. #interesting
    Tom Vernon‏ @TomVernonGlobal
    Replying to @k_macd11
    I'm only visiting! I fly home tomorrow.

I find it really annoying that the websites for CHED and iNews880 now redirect to Global's website. Sure it's the same company (Corus) but I preferred the separate content.

Shalima Maharaj is heading to Global Toronto.

Global news weatherman in Calgary confuses Participation #101 Swinging with, uhh, swinging. Just painful to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayVYxJppXg0
    Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

Started watching Global Morning News for the first time in ages, but only after watching CTV first. I refuse to watch at 6 AM as long as they keep foisting Bryan Hall on us (retire, you old git). Speaking of broadcasters who should retire, I'm surprised that Lorraine Mansbridge is still kicking around. I find it greatly amusing that her on-location hits are now taped the day before instead of live! This was most noticeable when she was outdoors and the weather was different, plus she never interacts with the anchors back at the studio.

Kim Smith has joined from Global Calgary. I think she used to be with CTV Edmonton a couple of years ago. The lady certainly moves around a lot!

This week I finally gave up on CTV, switched to Global, and I'm never turning back.

Global Edmonton is a vastly superior product, having way more local stories, the Global 1 chopper and a dedicated sports section while CTV continues to cut staff (Angela Jung being the final straw), runs more Calgary stories than local and now has Amanda Lang as a business opinion piece.

Global still has some deficiencies to address:
    - Jesse Beyer's weather forecasts are weak sauce compared to that of the superior Josh Classen. Jesse even goes so far as saying "Capital region" instead of "Metro region". Nice beard though.
    - Carole Ann Devaney has a tendency to slip up and trip up her tongue. Still, let's hope child #3 is her final one so that she doesn't go off on yet another mat leave.
    - After all this time, the live cameras from NAIT and Summerside are still in stop-gap mode.
    - Repetitive ads for Toyota, McDs and the Brick - but will gladly take all that over those ghastly Ashley Home Store ads.

Overall welcome back to the big league, Global. I hope their morning and weekend newscasts fare as well.

Angela Jung was on CTV Edmonton today. Where did you hear she is being cut?

I wouldn't say Global Edmonton is a vastly superior product. Their local news, especially municipal politics, can be lacking. You have to watch CTV, CBC and Global to get the full scale of local coverage.

Regarding CTV Edmonton, I wonder why whenever there is a Holiday Monday there us no 5 pm newscast. Yet CTV Calgary would have a 5 pm news.

My mistake, sorry - Angela is now a web reporter, only putting in air time on weekends and only while others are on holiday. But other CTV staff have been cut for sure, such as Joel Gotlib.

As for the superior product - guess who's been winning many of the media awards?
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 21-05-2018 at 08:18 PM.

Phhhhht! When it comes to national media awards, all of the news outlets take turns winning. One year Darren MacIntyre will be awarded best anchor.....next year it will be someone else's turn.

Ya, I haven't seen Joel Gotlib for a long time. He was good and funny!

I heard he's on paternity leave

Watching Global Morning News.
    The headline stories on Global are briefer than CTV's morning news, but CTV's local content can take a back seat to Calgary-based stories.
    Mike Sobel uses "Metro Edmonton region" - bless ya, Mikey! Although he's good, Cory Edel is far better.
    Daintre Christenson uses the traffic cams in addition to the traffic app, plus there's the Global 1 chopper; Jordan Hertner just uses the app. Thus, Global's traffic reporting is still the best.
    Bryan Hall still blathers on and on about sports and weather (retire you old git) while CTV counters with Dustin Neilson at TSN 1260.
    When it comes to business, I will take Angus Watt and company over the BNN lady in Toronto.
    Global still does the celebrity birthdays, which is annoying enough. Though not as annoying as Jeannie Mos (thankfully gone).
    No Lorraine Mansbridge - is she still on holidays?
    Overall? Listen to Global for traffic but other that, CTV has better morning news.

As for the weekend news?
    Quinn Ohler is still a gem. Kevin O'Connell is funny but his forecasts are rather boring plus he insists on "capital region". The stories start out strong then eventually peter out.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 23-05-2018 at 05:37 PM. Reason: edited for clarity

C2E SME

Brian Hall is still "working"? Sheesh, he was too lazy to bother doing anything other than read the Sun sports summary page on the radio 20 years ago, with the occasional random non-segue in to how delicious Tony Roma's ribs are. Who the hell enjoys listening to him?

Do it now.

Do it in cedar.

The one thing that irritates the hell out of me with Global is Nancy Carlson's frantic gasp for air as she launches into every sentence. She's far and away the worst for this on any newscast.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

I loathe Bob Layton but the great news is that he's no longer doing a daily editorial, just once a week every Friday. It would be even greater news if he retired for good.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345