Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Global News

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

For 6 o'clock news I've been loyal to CTV for a long time but not because Global is so bad. I simply see no reason to switch.

Speaking of Global, I caught their morning news recently. Watching the always prickish Shaye Ganam and sidekick Jennifer Crosby badgering Bryan Hall surprisingly made me sad. As irritating as Hallsy is, even he deserves way more respect than he was getting from those two know-nothings.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Esk Fan View Post
    For 6 o'clock news I've been loyal to CTV for a long time but not because Global is so bad. I simply see no reason to switch.

Speaking of Global, I caught their morning news recently. Watching the always prickish Shaye Ganam and sidekick Jennifer Crosby badgering Bryan Hall surprisingly made me sad. As irritating as Hallsy is, even he deserves way more respect than he was getting from those two know-nothings.
    I am glad I missed that. Hallsy is a good' un.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Cryin' Hall? Please. Very annoying

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Apart from Nicola looking like a bedroom fantasy (or mine anyway), Global's weather people are an abysmal lot.
    sorry SDM, you lost me at 'Nicola' and 'bedroom fantasy'. TOTALLY agree. I might actually turn on the volume to hear what she is saying.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Despite all the changes, Global Edmonton is still a pathetic Mickey Mouse operation AFAIC. I tuned in at 6 AM for the morning news show - the Grey Cup and the death of Leslie Neilson only get brief headline mentions, while the Wikileaks and a story out of Calgary get the full story treatment. I shut off after 15 minutes.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 29-11-2010 at 07:02 AM.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Just out of morbid curiosity (bedroom fantasies notwithstanding), I tuned in to the 6am news. The whole thing is so clunky. Compare it with Canada AM, Global Edmonton looks so bush league.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Partially Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by hello lady View Post

Except after forty plus years he's still walking around with that swatch from the carpet store. The other day while watching his broadcast from 630 CHED... I coulda sworn, well, it looked like it smiled into the camera. But a mean, goofy kinda smile.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 30-11-2010 at 01:54 AM. Reason: sp

"Hallzy" has always been there for all of Edmonton's teams. Amateur or Pro. Truly a stand up guy.

Thumbs up

Shaye at least gives some thought to all that news he reads everyday off the teleprompter. Wow, a news anchor who can actually think for himself, refreshing.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hello lady View Post

Except after forty plus years he's still walking around with that swatch from the carpet store. The other day while watching his broadcast from 630 CHED... I coulda sworn, well, it looked like it smiled into the camera. But a mean, goofy kinda smile.
    Um, believe it or not, that is his real hair.

^^^ Than somebody better call "Ripley's" because I don't believe it.

As much as I can harp on Global News, there are times when CTV News is no better. Last night their top story was the property tax hike and they're like "You gonna pay nearly $100 more, omigod people are going to be driven out of their homes!" while Global provided a more level-headed story of the property tax increase.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

So you're saying the average ratepayer is NOT going to pay $100 more?
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Carole Anne Guay has resurfaced on Global News at Five today. She is no longer with CBC.

Is she being groomed to take Lynda Steele's anchor chair?

^ Did Guay anchor the 5 PM newscast? I watched the 6 PM news and she was the reporter on the story about the Hinton train crash 25 years ago.

I'm glad she left. CBC News has turned to crap.

She sat at the desk with Lynda to explain the Hilton train crash. After the report Lynda welcomed Guay to the Global family.

so for those that care her fb page is:
    http://twitter.com/#!/caguay
    I see she is listed as weekend anchor

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
    so for those that care her fb page is:
    http://twitter.com/#!/caguay
    I see she is listed as weekend anchor
    The regular weekend anchor, Erin Chalmers, is on maternity leave. Looks like she was hired as a mat-leave fill-in.

I hope she stays though. She was one of CBC's best reporters. Global would be foolish to let her go.

Carole Anne should probably not be smiling when reading a story about a suspicious death.

No she shouldn't but she does have a nice smile tho

And she doesn't flub every line of every story like Christina Salvo

So why is Carole Anne no longer at CBC?
    Last edited by PJC; 14-02-2011 at 03:21 PM.

she is rumored to be a very difficult person to work with, somewhat of a diva if you will. That is probably why she is not there, also because the regular anchor came back.

Quote Originally Posted by AAAAE View Post
    she is rumored to be a very difficult person to work with, somewhat of a diva if you will. That is probably why she is not there, also because the regular anchor came back.
    You sure you're not thinking of Tiffany Burns?

Oh yes! I think it was Burns...

Quote Originally Posted by Mercucio View Post
    So why is Carole Anne no longer at CBC?
    CBC trains them, Global grabs them.

^ Claire Martin?
    Edmontonian and proud of it!

^ and Lynda Steele

Claire Martin started at Global and then went to CBC!

She worked at Environment Canada and started contributing to CBC Radio before going to Global.

^
    She was also one of the kids in Pink Floyd's "Another Brick In The Wall" video.

Back to ranting about Global...am I the only one perturbed by their constant promotion of Banff and Lake Louise?

Sorry, I didn't know she was at cbc radio prior to global/itv. I remember she was often did the environment Canada "guaranteed weather" thing on CHED.

From today's newscast I've noticed Carole Anne Guay has an updated wardrobe and new makeup artist than her CBC days. Looking good!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

She looks amazing and speaks very well, I hope to see her more often, Lynda's replacement?

Carole Anne Guay is quickly becoming my favo reporter. On a related note, a few days ago Christina Salvo was reporting on the cabinet reshuffle and she got every name and position wrong hahhahaha... was hilarious!!

To all Christina Salvo critics...you have now achieved the extreme opposite. I'm watching her right now, and her delivery is so over-scripted and over-rehearsed that it's hilarious.

During the morning news, Mike Sobel called a viewer a "dyke" when she commented on Facebook that one of the female anchors was particularly attractive.

http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/Morn...962/story.html

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    During the morning news, Mike Sobel called a viewer a "dyke" when she commented on Facebook that one of the female anchors was particularly attractive.

Say it ain't so.

Maybe he said, "here, let me adjust your mic...". Or, "your hair looks like you just got off your bike....".

He mumbles sometimes....

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by hosshumard View Post

Say it ain't so.

Maybe he said, "here, let me adjust your mic...". Or, "your hair looks like you just got off your bike....".

He mumbles sometimes....
    also without commenting on the comment, what he said was pretty clear...

http://jthemac.blogspot.com/2011/04/...t-comment.html
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

I think he said "Like". You know, there's that "like" button on Facebook pages you can click on when you like something?

Your interpretation is funnier though.

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    also without commenting on the comment, what he said was pretty clear...

http://jthemac.blogspot.com/2011/04/...t-comment.html
    My mistake... He did actually say 'dyke'.

That's funny!

^^

My comment was meant to be in jest Ken.

I just watched the clip and it seems to me to be an off air remark that got broadcast in error.

It doesn't make it right as it's deplorable...there's no room for that word in everyday conversation, much less broadcast television.

I spent quite a few years in broadcasting and the standard rule (especially in TV where you don't control your mike switch) was not to say anything in studio that you wouldn't say on the air....sounds like Mike forgot that and he'll get punished for it...
    Last edited by hosshumard; 12-04-2011 at 11:04 AM.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

^^

My comment was meant to be in jest Ken.

I just watched the clip and it seems to me to be an off air remark that got broadcast in error.

It doesn't make it right as it's deplorable...there's no room for that word in everyday conversation, much less broadcast television.

I spent quite a few years in broadcasting and the standard rule (especially in TV where you don't control your mike switch) was not to say anything in studio that you wouldn't say on the air....sounds like Mike forgot that and he'll get punished for it...
    i'm happy to take your earlier post in jest... as i said, i reposted the link without comment.

although if i was to comment, it would be that none of us should say anything anywhere - on the air or not - that we wouldn't be happy to have repeated elsewhere, including on the air.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

To all Christina Salvo critics...you have now achieved the extreme opposite. I'm watching her right now, and her delivery is so over-scripted and over-rehearsed that it's hilarious.
    I honestly rather have it this way than her messing up every 2nd word. Just replace her with Carole Anne Guay every night

Watching Global News this morning. Pathetic.
    Half the full-length stories are from Calgary.
    They run ads for tourism in Calgary and Banff/Lake Louise.
    Is our station turning into an affiliate of Global Calgary, or what?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

To be fair, it makes sense for Calgary tourism ads on an Edmonton station, I would expect the reverse to be true as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    To be fair, it makes sense for Calgary tourism ads on an Edmonton station, I would expect the reverse to be true as well.
    The reverse is true...Global Calgary (CICT-TV) has lots of Global Edmonton stories as well....its all about sharing content and providing an Alberta wide outlook...and sharing costs...nature of the broadcasting beast these days

In a related manner, the Travel Alberta video that's playing on big screens at the Calgary Tower lobby have more flattering images of Edmonton and the rest of the province than Calgary.

That being said, it's not Global Edmonton's fault that Tourism Calgary chooses to run ads on their station. Calgary has the $$$, and Global has the commercial airtime. It's a legitimate business transaction, not some Southern Alberta conspiracy.

I would be asking why Tourism Edmonton isn't running ads for Edmonton on any of the Calgary stations.

As for Calgary stories running on Global Edmonton, hosshummard is right. Calgary stories run on Global Edmonton, and Edmonton stories run on Global Calgary.

Doesn't matter...all that matters is that Global Edmonton is focusing less and less on local news. Therefore I'll be sticking to CTV News at 6 PM and just endure Global news in the morning.

Anyway...anyone wanna bet that Jennifer Crosby will be Lynda Steele's replacement at the 6 PM anchor desk?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I hope not, I rather have anyone but her.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    The reverse is true...Global Calgary (CICT-TV) has lots of Global Edmonton stories as well....its all about sharing content and providing an Alberta wide outlook...and sharing costs...nature of the broadcasting beast these days
    I can vouch for that. I've been consulting here in Calgary for some time now, and I catch Global in the morning from my hotel. They run a lot of Global Edmonton stories especially from one of my favoirte Global Edmonton reporters. So, it is pretty commisurate.

Quote Originally Posted by ED1 View Post
    In a related manner, the Travel Alberta video that's playing on big screens at the Calgary Tower lobby have more flattering images of Edmonton and the rest of the province than Calgary.

That being said, it's not Global Edmonton's fault that Tourism Calgary chooses to run ads on their station. Calgary has the $$$, and Global has the commercial airtime. It's a legitimate business transaction, not some Southern Alberta conspiracy.

I would be asking why Tourism Edmonton isn't running ads for Edmonton on any of the Calgary stations.

(...)
    Again correct. I see some ads here. However, Travel Alberta also looks for funding from the local development agencies. Calgary contributes more. With the recent new hiring of some key Edmonton players by Travel Alberta, I expect there will be some changes and pressure locally to step up.
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

Looks like Global News dropped the ball tonight. Instead of showing breaking news of the major, devastating fire that is devouring Slave Lake, they are showing the Survivor finale. Instead of reporting reality, Global decisded to stick with a reality TV show.

from the Global Facebook page:
    We’re sorry the news was pre-empted tonight due to the Survivor Finale. We’ll have updates on the situation in Slave Lake on our website and the latest developments on the morning news at 5:30 AM Monday.

https://www.facebook.com/GlobalEdmon...50176999660927

It could have been worse...they could have had the Survivor finale as Global News' top story. Which I believe they've done in the past.

So Global told people to check their website for breaking news of the Slave Lake fire. Global should of aired the newscast of the latest developments and told Survivor fans to switch to CBS instead.

I'm sure more people have cable than the internet. And more people want to see Slave Lake news than Survivor.

Two weeks ago The Apprentice and The Simpsons were pre-empted by the death of bin Laden and Obama's speech. Although that was major news, this Slave Lake disaster is happening in our own backyard yet Global continued to air Survivor.

Doesn't matter...all that matters is that Global Edmonton is focusing less and less on local news. Therefore I'll be sticking to CTV News at 6 PM and just endure Global news in the morning.
    I've noticed in recent months that the news portion of City-TV's Breakfast Television with Stacey Brotzel and Carla Turner is pretty solid. As for the rest of the show, they try REALLY hard and the strain shows at times. Ryan Jesperson, Bridget Ryan and Michele McDougall all seem like very nice people but it's easy to understand why they aren't everyone's cup of tea.

I've noticed in recent months that the news portion of City-TV's Breakfast Television with Stacey Brotzel and Carla Turner is pretty solid. As for the rest of the show, they try REALLY hard and the strain shows at times. Ryan Jesperson, Bridget Ryan and Michele McDougall all seem like very nice people but it's easy to understand why they aren't everyone's cup of tea.
    I've tried, but I can't watch BT. Besides the lack of news content, personally I can't stand Bridget Ryan.

I've tried, but I can't watch BT. Besides the lack of news content, personally I can't stand Bridget Ryan.
    + 1
    I agree SDM. She laughs at everything. It drives me bonkers.
    Not sure where they got Jesperson from but he is next on my bonkers list.
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry N View Post
    + 1
    I agree SDM. She laughs at everything. It drives me bonkers.
    Not sure where they got Jesperson from but he is next on my bonkers list.
    Michele McDougall drives me bonkers when she says things like "It's minus 5 this morning but with the wind chill it feels more like minus 7..."

I fail to see why Bridget is the only one remaining from all turnover since A Channel's Big Breakfast. Now that show, I didn't mind watching.

Anyway...back to Global:

Looks like Global News dropped the ball tonight. Instead of showing breaking news of the major, devastating fire that is devouring Slave Lake, they are showing the Survivor finale. Instead of reporting reality, Global decisded to stick with a reality TV show.

from the Global Facebook page:
    We’re sorry the news was pre-empted tonight due to the Survivor Finale. We’ll have updates on the situation in Slave Lake on our website and the latest developments on the morning news at 5:30 AM Monday.

https://www.facebook.com/GlobalEdmon...50176999660927
    They must be going overboard making up for this. Global Morning News is all Slave Lake fire all the time.

^ Yep. Making up for lost time due to showing Survivor. National anchor Dawna Friesen reported from Athabasca in yesterday's newscast.

CTV Edmonton had the best pictures because Sean Amato was actually in Slave Lake on Sunday night when the fire swept over the town.

Nice to see Global Edmonton finally catch up with other Global stations - they now have traffic cams. I think they're just using the city's traffic cams though.

I thought they like to use the Helicopter.

yes they do
    Another factor in River City's noise pollution
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

They use both the CHED chopper and Daintre's traffic reports.

They use both the CHED chopper and Daintre's traffic reports.
    Actually they use the Canadian Traffic Network chopper.

Well if you haven't heard yet, for those who hate Global in the mornings, CTV Edmonton is dumping Canada AM and going for an all local morning show from 5:30am to 9am.

Nice to see Global Edmonton finally catch up with other Global stations - they now have traffic cams. I think they're just using the city's traffic cams though.
    Yeah they're the city's cameras. The other Global stations (Calgary, Vancouver) also have access to their city's traffic camera system.
    Last edited by ED1; 18-06-2011 at 11:15 AM.

Well if you haven't heard yet, for those who hate Global in the mornings, CTV Edmonton is dumping Canada AM and going for an all local morning show from 5:30am to 9am.
    Good to hear. Is Canada AM being cancelled entirely?

Yeah they're the city's cameras. The other Global stations (Calgary, Vancouver) also have access to their city's traffic camera system.
    Breakfast Television on Citytv has been using the city cameras for the past while now.

I've been greatly amused by the Global Morning crew talking as if the cameras are their own!

It took them long enough. Now that Oprah has left and is home counting her money,any bets they start a 5 p.m. news

Good to hear. Is Canada AM being cancelled entirely?
    Nope - it will still air in many markets, and be available on CTV Newsnet (or whatever it is called now?).

It took them long enough. Now that Oprah has left and is home counting her money,any bets they start a 5 p.m. news
    Actually... they have already announced they are doing a 5pm news show in the fall.

Plus they will be available in HD in the fall as well.

From Marty Forbes' column:

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2011/06/1...th-old-friends

The big highlight, however, and good news (no pun intended) is a ‘major’ addition of news to Edmonton television and specifically to both Global and CTV.

Global big guy Tim Spelliscy tells us: “The highlight for us will be the Sunday Morning News. We’ll be there September 11th with a two- hour local news show, 8-10 a.m., plus we are adding an hour to Saturday morning moving back to a 7 a.m. start. So we’ll be there with morning news 7 days a week ... plus 43 total hours of local news a week.”

Over at CTV this update:
    “We are expanding our local news operations significantly this fall, said Lloyd Lewis, vice president and general manager, CTV Edmonton. “With 3.5 hours of local news weekday mornings and another hour starting in the afternoon at 5, this represents a massive addition to local television in this city. It’s the largest expansion we have undertaken in decades. To say we’re excited about this is an understatement.”

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_AM

As part of its re-acquisition of CTV in 2011, Bell Media agreed to launch new, three-hour local morning newscasts to be produced at the network's stations in Winnipeg, Regina, Saskatoon, Edmonton, Calgary, and Vancouver.[4] (In the latter three markets, local morning newscasts on Global stations usually have higher ratings than Canada AM.) This suggests that once the new programs take air, Canada AM will no longer air on CTV stations in Western Canada, and will instead be available only via CTV News Channel, or out-of-market CTV affiliates from Eastern Canada.[nb 1]

I've been greatly amused by the Global Morning crew talking as if the cameras are their own!
    From what I heard, Shaw was operating those traffic cameras long before the parent company decided to buy Global (it was contracted out by the city to Shaw).

And I've seen BT's use of the cameras. I don't know if it's changed, but it looked like they loaded the traffic camera website on a computer, put the stream to full screen, and used that on air (which looked like crap). I'm assuming now that Global has properly integrated the traffic cams into their traffic system, BT has stopped using the website and is using the higher-resolution video.

This is the video clip of the announcement for the expanded news programming for CTV Edmonton. 12 seconds into the video, Carrie Doll reveals all of the goods (Hot!!):
    CTV News is making our own headlines today as we announce the addition of a morning show, a 5 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. newscast coming this fall.

In September, CTV News will expand on local news by adding a 5 p.m., and a 5:30 p.m. newscast. Then later in the fall, we will be launching our own three-and-a-half-hour morning show.

http://edmonton.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...b=EdmontonHome

I wish we had more variety in our local coverage.

Shaw and the Journal share way too many perspectives.

Where is Gord Steinke? I hope he's just on holidays for a week or two.

Gah ever since Linda Steel left Global's anchoring has been going downhill. Christina Salvo, who fumbles every 3rd sentence, should NOT be hosting the 6:00 edition.

Obviously Gord is on holidays.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Bring in Carole Anne Guay, she's smoking hot and can actually read. Christina isn't tough on the eye but she just can't deliver a great newscast like Carole.

I can't stand Shaye; always acts like he has something stuck up his butt. Jennifer Crosby was a nice addition to the morning news, considering the who she replaced.

Nicola Crosbie, while being very attractive, she is incredible annoying.

Gord needs a sidekick! I always enjoyed Erin Chalmers, and I think she and Gord would make a good team, but she is on maternity leave, so that hinders her chances at landing this prime job.

CTV Edmonton is still my first choice, though.

I wonder when the website is going to update the Personalities section? I haven't seen Kendra in ages, while there are a couple of new reporters on the beat.

On the other hand, CTV Edmonton could update their Bio section too.

Addicted to C2E

I agree that Gord needs a co-anchor. I think the best fit would be Vassy Kapelos. I have only seen her read the news a couple of times but I was impressed. She has a very similar relaxed, confident and likeable style that Linda Steele had and seems a natural fit on the anchor chair.

Default Hey - it's Harvest season Esc..etal, get some better smoke...

Quote Originally Posted by EscoffierLivesOn View Post
    I can't stand Shaye; always acts like he has something stuck up his butt. Jennifer Crosby was a nice addition to the morning news, considering the who she replaced.

Nicola Crosbie, while being very attractive, she is incredible annoying.

Gord needs a sidekick! I always enjoyed Erin Chalmers, and I think she and Gord would make a good team, but she is on maternity leave, so that hinders her chances at landing this prime job.

CTV Edmonton is still my first choice, though.
    Though telling your last sentence, we have us a disagreement.

While you cannot stand Shay, I can. He has an opinion - something like 95% of news readers do not. How damn refreshing!

Nicola - although I cannot vouch for the accuracy of her weather reports I did listen to her one time on the radio here in Ontario (CBC) and found myself chuckling at the stories she was regaling. She is intelligent, thoughtful, and damn beautiful.

Perhaps your right about Gord needing a sidekick...

Jennifer replaced a good morning host who had amazing eyes. But I like Jennifer too. And Mike Sobel - an eastern export - good for you Edmonton.

my 2 cents.
    If the risk is little, the reward is little.

The CSI-style ad they're running (where they're marching down the street) makes me laugh.

Andrea Engel was the host with the amazing eyes... I think they look too serious marching down what I believe is Rice Howard Way, although I haven't seen RHW for some 20+ years. Glad to see Lorraine in there too. Just because she is the only on-air ITV'er left from the seventies. I know that Tim Spellicy is the chief muckamuck there now.

Andrea Engel was the host with the amazing eyes... I think they look too serious marching down what I believe is Rice Howard Way, although I haven't seen RHW for some 20+ years. Glad to see Lorraine in there too. Just because she is the only on-air ITV'er left from the seventies. I know that Tim Spellicy is the chief muckamuck there now.
    The promo spot was shot on 100A Street. Tim S has been GM for quite some time now. Gord Steinke was also at ITV. Here he is anchoring the 6 p.m. news with recently departed Lynda Steele.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NhTqhHbUQM
    Last edited by Barry N; 23-09-2011 at 11:55 AM.

...Gord Steinke was also at ITV.

You know Barry - I don't remember Gord from that era. Was he a reporter then? That might explain my absence of memory of him.

I don't recall him as a field reporter. He was always on the anchor desk .

Certainly not prior to Doug Main I recall. Wow - that was a newscast, Doug Main, Bill Matheson, and that cute up and comer Lesley MacDonald.

Does anyone recall ITVs' programming sign off in the wee hours of the morning. It was shots of Edmonton with Glen Rutledge of Central Pentecostal Tabernacle singing the Lord's Prayer. I liked it. Singing about God with pictures of Edmonton - struck a pride in my heart it did. lol memories...

Who watches the news anymore? <-- This is 25% trolling and 75% legitimate question.

I watch the news approximately never. I get my news from the internet or occasionally a free paper (i.e., something that costs $0 or that's provided for free by a restaurant/coffee shop/whatever; also, who pays for newspapers?). And it's so much better than waiting on some televised newscast.

Local news? Both the Edmonton Journal's web portal and CBC News online's local section got me covered. I suppose if I was desperate about something neither was covering I could visit the Edmonton Sun online *shudder* but at that point I'm probably past the news and just trying to see if I can beat Megaman X1 without charging the X-Buster.

Which I can with a select few places that absolutely need the charged shot.
    http://orbisaetherum.com — My story podcast. Take a listen!

Whoever is in charge of the in-studio cameras during the Sat morning news show should be taken out back and shot. One of my favorite segments near the end of the show is the SCARS chick presenting dogs that are up for adoption, but the camera people take ages to switch cameras from the couch to the dogs. This seems to happen almost all the time.

Whoever is in charge of the in-studio cameras during the Sat morning news show should be taken out back and shot. One of my favorite segments near the end of the show is the SCARS chick presenting dogs that are up for adoption, but the camera people take ages to switch cameras from the couch to the dogs. This seems to happen almost all the time.
    I don't understand why this happens. I used to work behind the scenes in television for about 8 years. Switching from one camera shot to another is not exactly rocket science.... if you want camera 2 you simply 'take' the video feed from camera 2. Simple and immediate.

It's the switchers' fault, but than again doesn't the switcher take direction from the director?
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 02-10-2011 at 01:53 PM. Reason: sp lotta sp's today

It's the switchers' fault, but than again doesn't the switcher take direction form the director?
    Yup,it is the switchers fault. And you are right, the director calls the camera shots.

...and the producer nervously pacing back and forth in the green room.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 02-10-2011 at 01:59 PM. Reason: sp

First One is Always Free

The big highlight, however, and good news (no pun intended) is a ‘major’ addition of news to Edmonton television and specifically to both Global and CTV.

Global big guy Tim Spelliscy tells us: “The highlight for us will be the Sunday Morning News. We’ll be there September 11th with a two- hour local news show, 8-10 a.m., plus we are adding an hour to Saturday morning moving back to a 7 a.m. start. So we’ll be there with morning news 7 days a week ... plus 43 total hours of local news a week.”

Over at CTV this update:
    “We are expanding our local news operations significantly this fall, said Lloyd Lewis, vice president and general manager, CTV Edmonton. “With 3.5 hours of local news weekday mornings and another hour starting in the afternoon at 5, this represents a massive addition to local television in this city. It’s the largest expansion we have undertaken in decades. To say we’re excited about this is an understatement.”
    To say that I totally don't care and won't be watching is an even bigger understatement. These people are nothing more than painted intellectually vacant mannequins that go blank when the script disappears from the teleprompter. Give me a five minute newscast at the top of each hour crammed with information, and I'll watch. To stretch out 5 minutes of content over two or three hours is unacceptable. In fact it's criminal. If I ever find myself watching this stuff, it's because I am home sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Arliss View Post
    These people are nothing more than painted intellectually vacant mannequins that go blank when the script disappears from the teleprompter.
    WOW! That's quite a statement. Of course you can prove that?

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Wow is right...again..having met many of these folks...and knowing how involved and active many are...vacant is not the word I'd use...

...I am looking forward to the backup of the statement too 24...
    Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

...Gord Steinke was also at ITV.

You know Barry - I don't remember Gord from that era. Was he a reporter then? That might explain my absence of memory of him.

Gord and Linda were both anchors at ITV...

Here they are with the best of the best...Bill Matheson...and Doug Main did a tribute...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_NhTqhHbUQM

Quote Originally Posted by Arliss View Post

Over at CTV this update:
    To say that I totally don't care and won't be watching is an even bigger understatement. These people are nothing more than painted intellectually vacant mannequins that go blank when the script disappears from the teleprompter. Give me a five minute newscast at the top of each hour crammed with information, and I'll watch. To stretch out 5 minutes of content over two or three hours is unacceptable. In fact it's criminal. If I ever find myself watching this stuff, it's because I am home sick.
    Goodness! Take a pill! These newscasts will be gone within 5 years anyway thanks to declining viewership and the tight purse strings of their Toronto masters who think that Calgary is the capital of the "New West".

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast