Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536 LastLast
Results 3,401 to 3,500 of 3527

Thread: Enbridge Centre (was Kelly Ramsey Building Rebuild) | Retail & Office |

Forum Administrator *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    This is the Kelly Ramsay thread still?
    I'm not a philosopher. I've been accused of being a dictator. So, in that vein, back to discussing the building at hand.
    Ow

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by Stevey_G View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    This is the Kelly Ramsay thread still?
    Those are questions that should be left to the philosophers. I am but a man.

lmao...awesome.

C2E Long Term Contributor

That middle shot is so awesome! Makes me dying even harder for those retail bays to get filled up.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

She Is beautiful. You bet he is kicking himself now for not adding the hotel to the tower which would have given it the additional height this beauty deserved. Oh well. Still gorgeous.

^hotel version was very similar in height, no real difference. It was not planned to be on top of what you see here.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I hope Day knows he built the best looking building currently standing in Edmonton. He deserved that praise.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    That middle shot is so awesome! Makes me dying even harder for those retail bays to get filled up.
    Good thing we didn't get the original version. This portion of RHW would have been a vehicle drop off lane.

Job No 135343506-067
    Description: To change the Use from General Retail Stores to Specialty Food Services Use on a portion of the main floor (Credo Coffee, 64.75m2 of Public Space)
    Plan 1422995 Blk 1 Lot 39A
    Applicant: FRAMEWORK CONSTRUCTION
    Create Date: 5/23/2017 3:50:14 PM

Indeed. Great addition to that part of the Downtown.
    www.decl.org

Only if it's open past 6pm at least Mon-Sat.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Amen to that. Credo has decent enough coffee but their hours suck to the point I don't even bother with them & instead go to one of the other 3rd wave shops.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Anyone know which space in the building they are taking?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Awesome.

Yet another place Top_Dawg can lounge around with cornholios of dubious gender sipping his $11 latte.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

Awesome.

Yet another place Top_Dawg can lounge around with cornholios of dubious gender sipping his $11 latte.

You must order 9 extra shots of espresso in your lattes.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Amen to that. Credo has decent enough coffee but their hours suck to the point I don't even bother with them & instead go to one of the other 3rd wave shops.
    Which one(s)? Most of the other coffee joints in that category DT close even earlier on weekdays (e.g. Coffee Bureau at 5, Lock Stock at 4, Burrow at 2). The only ones I can think of with good hours are District and Remedy, and it's not a coincidence that both of those places serve alcohol.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

You nailed it. Although I don't generally get a lot of coffee "out" anymore I'll head to District or Remedy first if I don't have the time, energy or will to make better coffee myself at home.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

That podium is really really nice. I am so thankful they saved the facade and incorporated it into the new tower.

Look at what high quality public realm improvements can do.

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg
    www.decl.org

That one cheecho head doesn't look too happy about doughpro snapping a pic of him.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Look at what high quality public realm improvements can do.

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg
    Much better than the drop off. I wish RHW was like this to 100 st as well. We need more pedestrian areas instead of making everything about the car.

RHW will be redone to match this.
    www.decl.org

Do you know when that might happen, and whether the angle parking space might be eliminated in favour of more pedestrian space?
    There can only be one.

Angled parking is good there, the pedestrian realm is not. Unsure as to timing yet, don't think it is funded as of now.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    Which one(s)? Most of the other coffee joints in that category DT close even earlier on weekdays (e.g. Coffee Bureau at 5, Lock Stock at 4, Burrow at 2). The only ones I can think of with good hours are District and Remedy, and it's not a coincidence that both of those places serve alcohol.
    7am-7pm doesn't work? Who drinks coffee past 7pm? Most independent coffee shops in central London close at 6pm.
    www.decl.org

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    7am-7pm doesn't work? Who drinks coffee past 7pm? Most independent coffee shops in central London close at 6pm.
    I agree. No need to stay open past 7 if all they serve is coffee. But if they are offering other beverages and small bites - why not stay open? Starbucks are open later.

Nordic countries. My wife will fire up a pot of coffee at 8pm & most of the cafes in Stockholm are open (and very busy) until 10pm & later.

Angled parking is never good on a mixed space, and it takes too much room - not just for parking but because a wider aisle is required than for parallel. Going to parallel would cost maybe 4 or 5 spots but would double available pedestrian space.
    There can only be one.

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

Nordic countries. My wife will fire up a pot of coffee at 8pm & most of the cafes in Stockholm are open (and very busy) until 10pm & later.
    And Calgary. One of the places I really miss is the Higher Ground in Kensington which stays open until midnight. It was a great place to meet people if you didn't want to drink. Though they were licensed (but remained primarily a coffee shop even during the later hours) and served food.

Most of the time I lived in Calgary there was also Diva's, also in Kensington and even more a pure coffee house. Also open late and also busy with people socializing, studying, etc.

I think there were a few more but Kensington is where I hung out mostly.

Edited to add: I just checked the Higher Ground website and see no sign of alcohol at all. I was pretty sure I remembered people with wine glasses (I almost never order alcohol in a place that isn't oriented that way).
    Last edited by EveB; 02-06-2017 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Checked facts

And they're not open until 7, but 6pm. Their 124 St location (which is the one closest to me) closes at 4pm on Sundays.

http://www.credocoffee.ca/hours--location.html

(I was actually surprised they'd expanded their hours past dinnertime until I went to double-check & found out you'd gotten it slightly incorrect, unless the website is wrong.)

I love how it turned out, miss the art deco facade of Swedish Jewelers though It would have been fairly easy to recreate with concrete panels and curtain wall
    Last edited by sundance; 02-06-2017 at 03:17 PM.

And they're not open until 7, but 6pm. Their 124 St location (which is the one closest to me) closes at 4pm on Sundays.

http://www.credocoffee.ca/hours--location.html

(I was actually surprised they'd expanded their hours past dinnertime until I went to double-check & found out you'd gotten it slightly incorrect, unless the website is wrong.)
    They may have changed again to 6pm. They tried 7pm because they were getting more traffic. I'm not sure if they went back or not. Makes no sense for them to be open later.

All the great coffee shops I go to in London close at 6pm, unless it's a chain and can afford to be open late with few customers. Especially during pub times.
    www.decl.org

I'm glad you think their hours are fine & support them. I don't & won't go out of my way to give them my business.

All the great coffee shops I go to in Stockholm/Orebro/Gothenburg are open late, chain or otherwise, so I guess our generally pointless anecdotes just cancel each other out.

Given that we're the third highest per-capita consumer of coffee in the world behind only Finland & Sweden (or the Netherlands & Finland depending on study), I'd expect our coffeeshops to more closely mimic the Nordic hours, versus those in a country where the consumption is less than half & the culture revolves around tea & pints.

Last edited by noodle; 02-06-2017 at 04:10 PM.

Had a tour of the KPMG offices yesterday... WOW! Two floors interconnected and stunning.
    www.decl.org

They may have changed again to 6pm. They tried 7pm because they were getting more traffic. I'm not sure if they went back or not. Makes no sense for them to be open later.
    They did expand, then retract their hours back to 6pm at some point during the hockey season.

Not sure if this was already posted... OEB Breakfast Co from Calgary is opening - finally, amazing brunch in YEG!
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BUwqPySF...=oeb_breakfast

Indeed and excellent news!
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by J.J View Post
    Not sure if this was already posted... OEB Breakfast Co from Calgary is opening - finally, amazing brunch in YEG!
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BUwqPySF...=oeb_breakfast
    Asked my friend from Calgary about this... Apparently it's pretty legit, food is great and huge lines in both Calgary locations

Ho-ly !

All Top_Dawg has to say is what pretentious claptrap.

Gives Top_Dawg a headache.

How is it pretentious? If the food is good people are willing to line up for it.

Let sleeping dogs lie. He is just jealous that few places offer his kibble and bits with some crab kalash.

This will be an excellent addition to the core with yet another reason to come Downtown for brunch.
    www.decl.org

So does this mean that Cora is not coming to KR?

Correct. That was an incorrect rumour.
    www.decl.org

I'll take this overpriced hipsterfest over Cora.

How exactly is OEB hipster? Apart from the cutesy menu names, the dishes are really no different from other upscale brunch restaurants around the globe. Some of you really need to get out more, or if you're still riding with culinary training wheels then just stick with Smittys.

Culinary training wheels.

Good one.

Top_Dawg does appreciate Smitty's.

Their lounge opens at ten bells.

Convenient for those days Top_Dawg wakes up with killer hangover and needs a coupla beer to level off.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    How exactly is OEB hipster? Apart from the cutesy menu names, the dishes are really no different from other upscale brunch restaurants around the globe. Some of you really need to get out more, or if you're still riding with culinary training wheels then just stick with Smittys.
    This menu is the breakfast version of "Culinary Dropout's" - which has been confirmed as the most hipster restaurant on the planet.....which is fine. I am actually looking forward to dining there....and enjoying a glass of 6 buck organic orange juice.....lol

Shades of Oda.

Culinary training wheels.

Good one.

Convenient for those days Top_Dawg wakes up with killer hangover and needs a coupla beer to level off.
    Telling time by the number of bells is a nautical term. Waiting for it to ring ten times would have been a fruitless task sailor boy.
    Time as marked by the bells

The use of the bells to mark the time stems from the period when seamen (1) could not afford a personal time piece (i.e. - a watch) and (2) even if they could, they had no idea on how to tell time with such an instrument. The bells mark the hours of the watch in half-hour increments. The seamen would know if it were morning, noon, or night. Each watch* is four hours long and the bells are struck thus:
    Mid Morning Forenoon Afternoon Dogs* First
    0030 - 1 bell 0430 - 1 bell 0830 - 1 bell 1230 - 1 bell 1630 - 1 bell 2030 - 1 bell
    0100 - 2 bells 0500 - 2 bells 0900 - 2 bells 1300 - 2 bells 1700 - 2 bells 2100 - 2 bells
    0130 - 3 bells 0530 - 3 bells 0930 - 3 bells 1330 - 3 bells 1730 - 3 bells 2130 - 3 bells
    0200 - 4 bells 0600 - 4 bells 1000 - 4 bells 1400 - 4 bells 1800 - 4 bells 2200 - 4 bells
    0230 - 5 bells 0630 - 5 bells 1030 - 5 bells 1430 - 5 bells 1830 - 5 bells 2230 - 5 bells
    0300 - 6 bells 0700 - 6 bells 1100 - 6 bells 1500 - 6 bells 1900 - 6 bells 2300 - 6 bells
    0330 - 7 bells 0730 - 7 bells 1130 - 7 bells 1530 - 7 bells 1930 - 7 bells 2330 - 7 bells
    0400 - 8 bells** 0800 - 8 bells 1200 - 8 bells 1600 - 8 bells 2000 - 8 bells 2400 - 8 bells
    Notes: * - The period from 1600 to 2000 is split into two dog watches. These watches run from 1600 to 1800 and from 1800 to 2000. This alternates the daily watch routine so Sailors on the mid-watch would not have it the second night, and, the split also gives each watchstander the opportunity to eat the evening meal.
    ** - The end of the watch is considered at 8 bells, hence the saying "Eight Bells and All Is Well."
    Reviewed: 15 September 2009
    http://www.navy.mil/navydata/questions/bells.html
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Interesting find.

Thanks Glenco.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    (squints at menu)

"Steak and eggs please."
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

Quote Originally Posted by barhonda View Post
    How is it pretentious? If the food is good people are willing to line up for it.
    Don't they line up at Peter's Drive-in as well?

Was hoping for a Keg there.
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

^ For that spot I agree.

A well known anchor franchise

Keg could open in a mud hut next to a crack den and it would have lineups. Keg needs to take the Stage 104 space, maybe even multiple floors.

^THIS!
    www.decl.org

And I felt majorly ripped off when Sonny boys apple juice cost $2.50 today at the Boom Trail Cafe. I'll stick to my A&W and Timmy's hangouts, thank you very much. Do hit the Keg now and then tho, special occasions only of coarse. Note; Always lineups at Tim's and McDs, but in cars. Sonny Boys daily bread, Filet of Fish and med fries and 10 timbits. Still like the Big Mac myself now and then and love that A&W root beer. Especially like the coupons in the mail. My Tim's favorite is an extra large steeped tea with two cream and two honey. McDs has good coffee and cheap and I save the stickers to put on my little card to get a free one. Once a week we drive through Dairy Queen for strawberry sundaes and about once a month I drive through the Burger Baron for my favorite, double Salisbury burger. The rest is delicious homemade. Mmmm. So in keeping with the topic, I wouldn't mind seeing more of these establishments at Enbridge Centre and other places downtown. Am I still allowed to participate in the C2E? Lol.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 07-06-2017 at 05:36 AM.

C2E Posting Power

Joking aside.....looks and sounds delicious. But this concept will be a nightmare to manage....1.) breakfast joints are hard to staff on a good day. 2. Being downtown....,do they subsidize employees parking? 3. This high level of cookery will require employees above and beyond the normal "skid marks" one finds at Smitty's....good luck finding 40-50 of those.

^Ain't their first rodeo... two restaurants in Calgary. I'm sure they have a good idea of what to do.

Google Review: 4.5 stars from 406 reviewers
    Yelp: 4.5 stars from 287 reviewers
    Zomato: 4.9 stars from 2,315 reviewers

TDawg, I believe Ricky's All Day Grill has bevies at 10am as well. Another option for leveling off.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Ho-ly !

All Top_Dawg has to say is what pretentious claptrap.

Gives Top_Dawg a headache.
    Indeed.

"Twice fried bowl of herbed potatoes cooked in duck fat". My lord, why would anybody do that to themselves eating this garbage?

Reminds me of the old country cooking, not in a good way, of mom storing bacon and any other old fat and frying the living **** out of anything in it.. Seems like all the hipsters missed that generation of sordid eating that should never want to be repeated.

People will line up for any dreck if theres hipster buzz attached. Just throw terms like confit and bacon wrapped duck fat in it and swing the door wide..

Also lol at the notion that Edmonton needs some kind of dreck like this transplanted from Calgary.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Relevant (to topic on hand....not quite to enbridge centre):

http://www.brooklynbarmenus.com/

Had some fun and created my own menus:

Should probably move some of this discussion into the food threads

Classic B.ike.

Absolutely classic.

' Activated ' .

Hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Indeed.

"Twice fried bowl of herbed potatoes cooked in duck fat". My lord, why would anybody do that to themselves eating this garbage?

Reminds me of the old country cooking, not in a good way, of mom storing bacon and any other old fat and frying the living **** out of anything in it.. Seems like all the hipsters missed that generation of sordid eating that should never want to be repeated.

People will line up for any dreck if theres hipster buzz attached. Just throw terms like confit and bacon wrapped duck fat in it and swing the door wide..

Also lol at the notion that Edmonton needs some kind of dreck like this transplanted from Calgary.

Yeah, confit is a staple nowadays.

Top_Dawg also giggles when he sees ' bisque ' and ' canape '.

And this one has a first for Top_Dawg.

Gaufrette potato.

What the fuq is that ?

Top_Dawg had to look it up.

Basically ripple chips.

Hello Old Dutch.

^^that's awesome.
    www.decl.org

Locally sourced seaweed? Right from stinky Big Lake. yuk

"Tell me, is your covfefe locally sourced?"

Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    1.) breakfast joints are hard to staff on a good day.
    From what I am hearing most places are finding it hard to find qualified staff. Even some of the top places.

Breakfast place for me is Still CORAs. Maybe as I get older I start to look for Valve meals. Not long before I can get the seniors discount. Still heard CORAs is moving downtown though even if KR is off the block.

Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    Joking aside.....looks and sounds delicious. But this concept will be a nightmare to manage....1.) breakfast joints are hard to staff on a good day. 2. Being downtown....,do they subsidize employees parking? 3. This high level of cookery will require employees above and beyond the normal "skid marks" one finds at Smitty's....good luck finding 40-50 of those.
    On the contrary. Even during the boom, cooks and chefs LOVED the 7am-3pm breakfast craze. No more late nights. No drunken idiots. Was easy to get mom's as servers - they're often off before kids get home from school. Don't make as much in tips, but they also didn't have to deal with all the bullcrap.

Don't kid yourself - selling $4 coffee, $5 orange juice, and $15 eggs is making bank. Breakfast joints have ridiculous margins as far as the food industry goes. They can make the same $10 return on a $15 plate of eggs with toast as a high end steak house can make on a $50 plate of beef.

Job No 254395970-001
    Description: To create a Comprehensive Sign Design Plan (Kelly Ramsey)
    Applicant: HORCICA, KARLA
    Create Date: 6/14/2017 2:40:31 PM

Perhaps the most diverse building base in the city, thanks to nods to the past.

From 2017.08.27.

Oh, oh... blinds!

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Yep, ruins the whole building!! I blame the City and Katz for being cheap

C2E SME

Lol

Transparent glazing is a better design choice than using mirrored. The issue people seem to have with being able to see the roller shades is hyperbolized. Get over it.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Nope....absolutely looks like poop. Im not getting over it

So as for your residences? No window coverings?

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    So as for your residences? No window coverings?

I find it to be a different animal

Any word on occupation of the ground floor? Appears to be a coffee shop in one area but what about the rest of the space?

Prime patio area.

As mentioned earlier in this thread:
    OEB Breakfast Co
    Credo

Oh yeah.

With the gaufrette taters.

Top_Dawg still loves that one.

135343506-068
    28-Aug-2017
    10175 - 101 STREET NW

To construct interior alterations to an existing CRU in an office building (Kelly Ramsay) and to change the occupancy classification from mercantile to assembly (Credo Coffee).

FRAMEWORK CONSTRUCTION

There also looks to be another restaurant going in beside OEB.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

Too bad they couldn't have taken advantage of this years patio season.

Did my eyes deceive me this morning, or has BMO opened in Kelly Ramsey?

I went by on Tuesday and it looked like it was opening so I suspect it is now.

Your eyes aren't playing tricks. I saw them putting the BMO sign on the building a couple weekends ago. It's there.

C2E SME

So if BMO is there now, I wonder what is the future to the building next door.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Regency bought it.

^Yes. Rezoning from DC2 to CCA was approved July 17.
    http://webdocs.edmonton.ca/infraplan...ylaw_18095.htm

BMO is open. Tellers, on the pedway level, wealth management on the main floor.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5u1v800cif...%20AM.jpg?dl=0
    Last edited by GreenSPACE; 13-10-2017 at 11:47 AM.
    www.decl.org

There have been some on here who have said that there are potential plans for the BMO building but nothing concrete yet.

The BMO building is the ground-scraper that soars a glorious 2 stories into the lowest stratosphere. The Tegler building was demolished for this? I say knock it down.

Well if regency purchased it then perhaps we'll see something as significant as the pearl?...

Well, if Regency paid money for the old building one would hope they have a plan, and if not that one isn't a shareholder ...
    ... gobsmacked

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    So if BMO is there now, I wonder what is the future to the building next door.
    Not much of a future.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmontonsKindaGuy
    There have been some on here who have said that there are potential plans for the BMO building but nothing concrete yet.

It's getting demolished at some point, just a matter of when.

^
    See, I knew someone would say something!

Thanks Marcel.

I still think the old BMO would make for a good department store, say Nordstrom, Saks or even a new flagship Bay.

Page 35 of 36 FirstFirst ... 25313233343536 LastLast