Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Enbridge Centre (was Kelly Ramsey Building Rebuild) | Retail & Office |

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    There is NO SUCH building in Edmonton called the Kelly Ramsey Building.

There is the Kelly building

There is the Ramsey Building

There is the Kelly-Ramsey Block (this describes the two buildings side-by-side, in which one of the buildings is on fire)

The building that is on fire is the Kelly Building of the Kelly Ramsey Block

(this information was provided to me by my sources... THE INTERWEBS and some other imaginary sources I like to pretend I'm connected with)
    The Kelly Ramsey Building is on FIRE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bdiddy View Post
    The Kelly Ramsey Building is on FIRE!!!
    Umm ... okay ... thanks.

C2E Long Term Contributor

"that somehow in our society this is now a new way to justify "not asking the tough questions"

bingo
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    you can comment to your heart's content on the state of their portfolio and their projects but your disregard for facts in the comments you so blithely direct at both businesses and individuals speaks to your ethics as much as theirs. emotion is not always the most stable base for accurate discussion or decision making.

we are all endowed with two eyes and two ears and only one mouth for good reason...
    Not directly related to this discussion is your moralizing of some of the discussion and banter that is happening on this forum due to the reputation that Worthington has built up in the eyes of some. It is entirely normal that people would distrust a company that has a bad track record and being a "troubled local business" and possibly overstate or add conjecture on what were the possible causes of such an event.

The only reason you would feel compelled to slap IanO's wrist on the matter is that you know that what he says could be taken as libelous and that somehow in our society this is now a new way to justify "not asking the tough questions" or cast moral indignation in one direction or another. Really Worthington has no reason for us to trust them and they have all the explaining to do. I agree we shouldn't jump to conclusions, but I don't think any where being made here.
    maybe i was "moralizing" but i'm not sure how the above emphasis is different than that portion of my post you did not copy:

"unless you are aware of any arson convictions that i am not, i don't think there is any precedent involved that will support your statements IanO.

please don't misunderstand me - i am not defending their business practices or their projects and my thoughts in matters like this are pretty well stated in the arlington thread and elsewhere."

i suppose that where we diverge is on our willingness to accept being "libelous" as being equivalent to "asking the tough questions". maybe the tough part is asking them without being libelous?
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

maybe it is libelous to not ask or speak our minds.
    www.decl.org

^I think it is more a matter of respect than libel. Even if you don't like the way this company operates (which it seems you don't), I don't think gossip that speculates or implies improprieties in this instance adds anything constructive (not that I don't do this a bit - like my earlier comment that we may be in for more fires all over the city as businesses struggle more).
    Last edited by moahunter; 25-03-2009 at 11:59 AM.

^I think well all agree it is inappropriate to imply that there is any ill-will on Worthington's part, but this discussion does show how much people care about the city they live in and historic structures such as this one.

And of course I don't want to get into a discussion on freedom of speech vs. being libelous...that is a whole other matter.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^I think it is more a matter of respect than libel. Even if you don't like the way this company operates (which it seems you don't), I don't think gossip that speculates or implies improprieties in this instance adds anything constructive (not that I don't do this a bit - like my earlier comment that we may be in for more fires all over the city as businesses struggle more).
    fair enough and i am not insinuating that it was indeed arson but more speaking to what i have heard from the horse's mouth about Worthington, its operations, its quality, its ________.
    www.decl.org

C2E Continued Contributor

Changing the subject somewhat, does anyone know the extent of damage to the east building (Kelly, I think)? I want to know how the Bistro Praha and Co-Co-Di are.
    Almost always open to debate...

Word is that both restaurants are still accessing things but (fingers and all 11 toes crossed) they will be back soon! Yay! Both are downtown favourites of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by davidnorwoodink View Post
    Changing the subject somewhat, does anyone know the extent of damage to the east building (Kelly, I think)? I want to know how the Bistro Praha and Co-Co-Di are.
    Bistro Praha has a wicked steak tartare.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    I've kind of been waiting for something like this to happen to this building, actually. It has been underused and sitting vacant for a long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
    I can only hope that the building can be saved and not to let rot like the Arlington did.
    I think the city learned its lesson with the Arlington.

*crosses fingers*
    i would hope that you're in the minority on "waiting for something like this to happen." the day a historic building, in one of the few neighborhoods in the downtown with character, is reduced to rubble is a sad day.
    true it is/was vacant. renoir was kicked out and the other tenants left (including worthington) over a month ago.
    it was vacant because of worthington's mismanagement. plain and simple.

not sure what what lesson the city learned with arlington? this is private ownership.

^ the lesson that we hope was learned is that the city will push for something to be done with the building... restoration if possible, but not wasting 3 years before tearing it down.

correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think the city can say "hey, fix that now" unless there are zoning mandates already in place. i'm pretty sure worthington was waiting on historic status for that building, therefore the heritage mandates wouldn't apply.

Quote Originally Posted by nbees View Post
    correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think the city can say "hey, fix that now" unless there are zoning mandates already in place. i'm pretty sure worthington was waiting on historic status for that building, therefore the heritage mandates wouldn't apply.
    You are correct that Worthington was waiting for historic status I do not know what caveats that puts on things but am sure there are many.

^the city can be as forceful as it wants to be in restoration. Depends if they have the political will though...
    www.decl.org

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

The city had been in talks with the owner to make the limestone building a designated historical property. The Ramsey, built in 1927, was on the “A” List of the Register of Historic Resources in Edmonton, which meant it was one of the city’s most valuable historic resources but not officially protected.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...532/story.html
    It looks as if Worthington could tear it down if they wanted to.

^going to get some uncuttable chains to strap self to building.
    www.decl.org

I'd rather C2E than work!

No kidding. I'll be very happy to join a protest line over this one.
    LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Me also... where was everyone when I suggested doing that for the Arlington? LOL

^yah man... we should have.
    www.decl.org

First One is Always Free

Default 4th floor

This was definately Worthington's space - whole 4th floor. The window on the far right (east) was Dan White's office. Beautiful refinished hardwood floors - all gone now.

Quote Originally Posted by nbees View Post
    i would hope that you're in the minority on "waiting for something like this to happen."
    Why? Is it really that much of a surprise to anyone else when old buildings sitting vacant for extended periods of time get torched or rot into disrepair? I've seen it happen tons of times.

I don't like to see it either, but when I see a building sitting for that long with that much inactivity, I can't help but think that it's eventually going to get burned down somehow.

I would've rather seen this building get used than get burned. I hope that space doesn't sit vacant for the next 3+ years, either.

You would think that with the office vacancy rate being so low over the past few years, had this space been updated, it would've been in high demand. Looks like Worthington missed out on a great opportunity. No surprise considering how poorly run the company is.

^that's the thing... we just went through a time where office space was at a premium and vacancies at all time lows but yet this space was not leased.... and while it was partly the building requiring upgrades, that was the fault of the owner.
    www.decl.org

Default City's hands tied on Ramsey fire: Mandel

City's hands tied on Ramsey fire: Mandel

2:00PM
    630 CHED
    3/25/2009

The mayor is waiting for word from the city's fire department on the status of the Ramsey Building which was destroyed in a three alarm blaze Tuesday afternoon.

The building is on the "A" list for historical designation, which really ties the hands of the city. "It depends on how far the building's been destroyed as to whether or not it can be salvaged." says Mayor Stephen Mandel.

Unlike the Arlington apartments which were historically designated, and sent the city into a lengthy battle with the owner, the Ramsey building is only on the "A" list, which to Mayor Steven Mandel means the city is in no position to dictate what happens next."At the same time people have property rights and we'll have to see what those property rights are."

"If it's not on any kind of designation it's pretty tough for the city to dictate what can or can't be done with the property. We'll have to check with the legal department to see where our rights are or aren't."

The blaze did $3.5 million damage. No cause is known yet, but they do know the fire started on the fourth floor in an occupied office space.

A spokesman for the fire department says it'll be a day or two before inspectors can determine how structurally sound the building is.
    Link:
    http://www.inews880.com/Channels/Reg...spx?ID=1075554

Quote Originally Posted by MylesC View Post
    No kidding. I'll be very happy to join a protest line over this one.
    We could organize something through the community league.
    www.decl.org

Walking by there at lunch, the building looks salvageable from the outside. It's not like its a half-demolished ruin like the Arlington was.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

btw if anyone wants to say hi to them...

http://www.worthington.ca/properties/index.html
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Damage from downtown Edmonton fire pegged at $3.5M

EDMONTONJOURNAL.COMMARCH 25, 2009 10:02 AMBE THE FIRST TO POST A COMMENT

STORYPHOTOS ( 2 )

More Images »

A fire consumed the top floor of an old building on Rice Howard Way. The main floor of the building is occupied by La Table de Renoir restaurant, but the rest of the building may have been vacant.
    Photograph by: SHAUGHN BUTTS, EDMONTON JOURNAL
    EDMONTON - A blaze that gutted a historic building on Rice Howard Way on Tuesday caused an estimated $3.5 million in damages, fire officials say.

Sixteen fire trucks and nearly 70 firefighters were called to the fire, which was called in at 3:40 p.m. and was under control by 6 p.m. No one was hurt.

Narrow hallways in the 82-year-old building hampered their efforts to reach the source of the fire, which started in an office under renovation on the fourth floor.

© Copyright (c) The Edmonton Journal

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...715/story.html
    I know that both buildings were near empty but I wish the journalists would get their stories a little more accurate.

In the Ramsey building, the one on fire, there were Worthington's offices, the Tai Chi studio, an artist studio, and on the main floor Brittany's Lounge.

Renoir's has been closed since last October, so they have not been a tenant for months. The main floor is occupied by Brittany's Lounge, not Renoirs.

But, on the other hand, we are tucked away in the alley so not too many people notice our spot. But geez, maybe get the stories a little more accurate?

Also, I did a small walk through of the building around noon today. I will post more in a bit.

Good afternoon/evening all! Hope you had a great day!

I was at the Kelley/Ramsey building today just to see what was going on. I got there about noonish and it looks much the same as yesterday. There is no gas or no power to the building.

I managed to get a brief walk through to the second floor on the Ramsey side above our space. We still cannot get entry to our lounge itself but might tomorrow.

Although how the structure faired is through my eyes, not those of a professional, the building looked surprisingly good. At least what I saw. I saw a bit of the Kelly side which looked quite dry, and I managed to get into Tango's Dance Studio (which is on the second floor, contrary to what reporters are saying) which was fairly dry. You could smell moisture of course, and there was still a lot of water dripping from the upper floors but it was very intact. I got over to the North side of the building on the second floor which is directly over Brittany's Lounge and it was a different story. In spots the water was an inch or two deep, and there was a lot of dripping from the floors above meaning it is going down into our lounge.

But again, even though there was a lot of water, the structure seemed sound.

The Ramsey side is made of concrete, so in my completely unprofessional opinion, it is fine. Of course, the 3rd and 4th floor may tell a different story.

Also, on the 3rd floor directly below where the fire was there is the Edmonton Tai Chi Society. I haven't had a chance to talk to them but I wish them all well. They don't get mentioned much but they were directly below the fire and have been a long standing tenant there.

As far as the Kelly side, it is made of wood but I am telling you that is a solid building. From the little I saw, the 2nd floor looked remarkably dry.

So we will see what happens as things move along. So far no ETA on heat or power turning on, but from what I saw it is still very wet in there and I don't think they are going to do a thing until it dries a little more for obvious reasons.

^great to hear... let's hope they can SELL it and someone come in to reno it and bring it back to its rightful glory.
    www.decl.org

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Thanks Darren for telling us the experience. It was truly bad to hear what happened. I hope all the businesses in the building are fine. To side with Ian, I hope they get good developer or owner or something to 'reno' it. It is too bad you can't get into your business, I hope everything is fine there. I'm glad to hear that the building of itself is in tact. All the best!
    ----

That's some positive news Darren, thanks for sharing.

I think the best possible outcome of all this would be Worthington taking the insurance money and divesting from the properties. I hope that happens expediently and the city takes a bit more interest in it than they did the last burnt heritage building.

I think we need to be very careful when making assertions of criminal behaviour. Arson is a serious accusation. It's blatantly unfair to ascribe thoughts or intention to someone before learning the facts. I do understand human nature, but this is a public forum, and some discretion is called for in this case.

I hope the Bistro comes out ok, and I'm sorry for the losses of other individuals and businesses.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

CBC News right now - the reporter contacted Dan White, President of Worthington, in Russia. He and his staff suspect that that it's arson, and authorities think likewise. He also says he wants to restore the Ramsey.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Interesting news... I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens in the coming days/months (hopefully not years).

Yes it is interesting news. From the views on this thread clearly emotions are running quite high which I put down to (a) the historic nature of the building; and (b) the negative reputation of the landlord/owner and I can understand that. Of course the fire will be fully investigated.
    We are all the same, just different...

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    CBC News right now - the reporter contacted Dan White, President of Worthington, in Russia. He and his staff suspect that that it's arson, and authorities think likewise. He also says he wants to restore the Ramsey.
    Oh man, these guys just keep on giving.

Dan White has said a LOT of things that never happened...

I sincerely hope he speaks with even an iota of truth on this matter.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Russia? Errr...

Yeah, I saw that story, too. I think CBC overplayed that a bit, though. The reporter told White that police are calling the fire suspicious and it might be arson. White replied something to the effect of "then it must be arson."

But while we're talking about Worthington, does everyone remember the apartment tenants who went without heating earlier this month because the building owner hadn't paid the bills? Yeah, that Worthington.

Here's the Journal's story: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Downt...928/story.html
    Last edited by Dusty Bear; 26-03-2009 at 10:08 AM. Reason: added link to article

^huh, that's interesting. Heating OR flight to Russia...sounds like one or the other, not both...
    www.decl.org

The Kelsey-Ramsay block/buildling/construction/puddingpop also suffered from no heat due to a downed boiler for something like a year.

never answered e-mail

Default Police suspect arson

This is sounding sketchier by the moment.

You know that scene in Grosse Pointe Blank when Joan Kussack is walking round with a lit cigarette in the PI office, dumping gas all over records & paperwork ?

Yeah.....
    Last edited by 240GLT; 26-03-2009 at 03:38 PM.

maybe to raise some money to pay back the BC gov't for the mill..........
    You might be right about this after all...

^i hope not because what i said was wrong, libelous, and far to frank for 2009.
    www.decl.org

I don't believe Canada and Russia have an extradition treaty. Just saying...

^hahaha!
    www.decl.org

Arson suspected in city fire

'Enough' information to begin police probe

By Laura Drake, The Edmonton JournalMarch 27, 2009 7:03 AM

Arson is suspected in the $3.5-million fire that heavily damaged the historic Ramsey building on Rice-Howard Way earlier this week.
    "An exact cause hasn't been pinpointed, but there's enough information for them to treat it as an arson," police spokesman Dean Parthenis said.
    The fire started about 3:40 p.m. Tuesday, sending flames shooting out of the top floor of the building. Investigators said it started in a fourth-floor office under renovation.
    Saw this coming.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I called it the minute I knew it was Worthingtons office that was on fire....

I'm not familiar with Worthington; they have some questionable connections I take it?

^questionable:

-connections
    -business practices
    -paperwork
    -et al.
    www.decl.org

I don't think Worthington's connections are being questioned...............

Fire Investigation truck and investigators at the scene this afternoon.

Please, everyone, let's be careful about what we say or even hint at. A company or an individual's reputation may be at stake, and we don't want C2E to be involved in litigation for libel or slander. We may have our suspicions, but please keep them off this site. Keep the discussion to the fire and the businesses involved - no more allegations.

Interesting quote's from the March 26th Edmonton Journal reguarding one of the businesses involved:

"The B.C. government expressed concern Thursday that the fire might affect its efforts to recover costs in relation to a closed pulp and paper mill that was connected to Worthington Properties, the CBC reported."

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...392/story.html

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator10 View Post
    Please, everyone, let's be careful about what we say or even hint at. A company or an individual's reputation may be at stake, and we don't want C2E to be involved in litigation for libel or slander. We may have our suspicions, but please keep them off this site. Keep the discussion to the fire and the businesses involved - no more allegations.
    freedom of speech?
    www.decl.org

^You have that, but does it have to be on this board? For by doing it here, we all may end up losing this form of speech altogether if the board gets sued or similar. I don't think this case is so important that we can't wait for the outcome of any investigation.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator10 View Post
    freedom of speech?
    Freedom of speech isn't free - it comes with a modicum of responsibility for what we say and how we say it. As an example, how would you feel if this board started posting and asking around whether IanO was still taking advantage of his girlfriend and kicking his dog or not? Not even "if" but "still" whether it's proven or not or even true or not? There is a difference between freedom of speech and abuse of speech.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

^fair enough but when you know people who have worked for said company and have given some insight, are familiar with their history, and read newspaper reports that depict certain things I think I am far from abuse of speech.
    www.decl.org

^ Fair comment, people conjure up their own perspectives and assumptions based on information provided to them through colleagues, media sources, etc. And when a 'common' theme continues to surface with each story, it's easy to understand why people draw up certain conclusions.

Was going through some old business leads type newsletters, and there is a mention from a few weeks ago that Worthington was in receivership and had 11 properties in foreclosure. Very interesting indeed.

Default Man charged in downtown Edmonton fire

Man charged in downtown Edmonton fire

edmontonjournal.com
    April 2, 2009 3:19 PM

Edmonton Police have laid charges against a 54-year-old man in connection with a fire that gutted a historic building in downtown Edmonton in March.

Michael O’Reilly, 54, has been charged with one count of break and enter and one count of arson.
    Link:
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/charg...457/story.html

I wonder who this guy is...

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    I wonder who this guy is...
    I googled him... "Michael O’Reilly Edmonton".

Found something, but won't post it as it may not actually be him.

Lots more information in this mornings article in the Edmonton Journal on this Michael O'Reilly guy.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...761/story.html

^ Yes. Things are certainly looking increasingly suspicious.

The good news is that the fire did not damage the structure and the building will be saved!!!

We'll see what happens with the owner. I have a feeling they will be forced to divest of all their holdings fairly soon. Hopefully someone picks up the Kelly and Ransey buildings and gives them the treatment they deserve.

it just gets deeper and deeper
    www.decl.org

Veeeerrrrryyyy interesting.

In the States he would be listed as a "known associate"

We'll see what happens with the owner. I have a feeling they will be forced to divest of all their holdings fairly soon. Hopefully someone picks up the Kelly and Ransey buildings and gives them the treatment they deserve.

Yup. Turning RHW into the Arts and Nightlife area it deserves to be should be given priority here.

According to CBC News this evening, the building was in receivership.

First One is Always Free

deal is close - new restaurants on their way.....
    "100 percent"

That building should be one of the top locations in downtown, bottom line. A bit of investment and creativity could turn that thing into the gem it deserves to be.

Default Ramsey Building owner says he doesn't believe fire was arson

Ramsey Building owner says he doesn't believe fire was arson
    -- Worthington owner confirms man charged had been given office space

By Laura Drake, The Edmonton Journal
    April 4, 2009 3:04 AM

The president of the company whose offices were destroyed in last week's fire at the historic Ramsey Building says he doesn't think the blaze was deliberately set, despite the recent arrest of a man for arson.

Michael O'Reilly, 54, was arrested this week on one count of arson and one count of break and enter in the $5-million fire on March 24.

"In spite (of) O'Reilly being arrested, I do not believe the fire was intentional," Dan White, president of Worthington Properties, which owns the building, wrote Friday in an e-mail to The Journal.

White is in Russia and was there when the fire broke out, but is due to return next week, Worthington manager Marcus Schwabe said.

White also confirmed by e-mail that he and O'Reilly know each other.
    Link:
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...464/story.html

Did not White already say he thought it was arson and now this contradiction:

"In spite (of) O'Reilly being arrested, I do not believe the fire was intentional," Dan White, president of Worthington Properties, which owns the building, wrote Friday in an e-mail to The Journal.

Doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by CRSK View Post
    deal is close - new restaurants on their way.....
    Care to elaborate?

As current tenants, we do not even know if their insurance company is going to fix the building at this point in time. If they don't fix it, nothing is opening in there including the restaurants and our lounge that are already there.

If CRSK opens a Subway in the Kelsey or Ramsey, I'll be tempted to torch the place myself. Oh wait, did I post that too loud...

If CRSK opens a Subway in the Kelsey or Ramsey, I'll be tempted to torch the place myself. Oh wait, did I post that too loud...
    Well it was in your outside voice...

First One is Always Free

Smile

Good one!
    We all want the Ramsey to shine again, as for a new Subway - no idea.
    "100 percent"

Interesting info CRSK.

Has anybody heard anything from credible sources? Any news on how court went today?

I knew this would die down eventually but I am still am curious about anything anybody hears on the news etc. Your skills at digging up these stories are definitely better than mine!

As on our end, Brittany's Lounge has been demo'd and we are awaiting the go-ahead from Worthington's insurance company to start rebuilding. As far as I am aware, the building pretty much has to be gutted due to water damage and they are at that stage now...determining if, how much, and who to do the job.

I can't speak for Bistro Praha and Co Co Di, but from what I gather talking to the owners/managers/staff they don't want to move. But time is running out as the longer we sit in limbo it just does not make financial sense to wait. This drawn out process is costing everyone an incredible amount of money.

Brittany is bound and determined to re-open, though. She is very attached to her place, and does not want to move it, nor close it down. She is chomping at the bit, and wants to start rebuilding NOW but we simply can't until we know for sure if the rest of the building is going to get done.

Cheers!

I'm sure there will be some news on the evening news hours on this one... it's relatively high profile. I hope everything works out for all of you who worked at the restaurants in the buildings affected by this arson. I really hope you can continue to provide us with updates, as I am will interested in checking out Britney's at some point when it reopens. GOOD LUCK!!!

Would Brit move into Nikita's old spot?

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    I'm sure there will be some news on the evening news hours on this one... it's relatively high profile. I hope everything works out for all of you who worked at the restaurants in the buildings affected by this arson. I really hope you can continue to provide us with updates, as I am will interested in checking out Britney's at some point when it reopens. GOOD LUCK!!!
    Thanks for the reply! I hope everything works out too as we have loyal staff that want to come back and work for us and they are waiting patiently for news...any news, as are we!

I will provide updates the best I can. I have to be careful as I cannot speak for others including the other restaurants and Worthington. And there is a lot of hearsay going around. Some of it baffles me in fact.

And I would love to have you visit, as well as anyone else reading this, when she reopens. There was just a ton of adversity in our renovation in the first place, and 6 months after we finally pulled it all together and opened, the fire happened. Which has basically put us back to where we were before we opened. Where is a banging your head against the wall emoticon when you need it? lol

A lot of people don't realize that when Brittany got hold of the place, to the point of opening it was a nightmare and about a 1 1/2 year process. A huge challenge...but she did it.

Regardless, this is not just about Brittany's reopening, which would be a triumph in itself. It is also about the other restaurants opening as well, and preserving that building. Those other two factors are as important to us as us rebuilding, and getting it going again. Extremely important.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    Would Brit move into Nikita's old spot?
    Hi Blueline, I asked Brittany about this and it is not an option at all.

She did extensive remodelling of her place. It is fixable without gutting it entirely.

As far as I know, the east side of the building which is the Kelly Block was severely water damaged to the point of some of the spaces being gutted entirely due to water damage. And from what I have heard from credible sources, that whole building is going to be gutted. Not taken down. But any structure such as walls, cielings, flooring etc. inside the building is gone. It has to go.

I suppose you would have to see Brittany's when it is open, and compare it to Nikita's (god bless their souls!) when it is done. I have not been in Nikitas since the fire, but if they are to do to Nikitas what Co Co Di and Bistro Praha has to do to their places, it is a complete gut.

Plus, I am wondering if Nikita's still has a lease in place? Something the suits would have to figure out of course!

Cheers!

Darren

I think part of the appeal of Brittany's is its backalley-ness of the place, if you know what I'm saying.

As for the Nikita's space, I wouldn't mind seeing something like a Cactus Club go in there, assuming the space is the right size for them.

I don't think I've ever been in the Nikita's space, but it looks terribly small from the outside.

^it is... too small for anything other than an indie.

I would like to see cosmos gone and cactus there with a patio that.... might get full even if sherlocks isnt.
    www.decl.org

That would be a fantastic spot for a Cactus Club... although I do like Cosmos too. I think they should rejig the entrance to the City Centre Mall where 4 Rooms used to be and put a Cactus Club or something similar in there. That mall has too many entrances in odd locations, so they could close most of it off altogether and use the space for a great restaurant.

^ As I mentioned in another thread, there is an empty retail space next to the jewelry shop which I think is adjacent to the Four Rooms spot. I wouldn't mind seeing a doorway punched through for an expanded restaurant space that house a Cactus Club or a Keg.

Now as for Nikita's, is there an existing resto-bar that could move in there?

Man accused of arson granted bail

Updated: Wed Apr. 29 2009 17:39:19

ctvedmonton.ca

The man accused of deliberately setting a historic Edmonton building on fire, was granted bail Wednesday.

54-year-old Michael Kevin O'Reilly was charged with arson in early April, after the Ramsey building, which had stood on Rice Howard Way for more than 90 years, was severely damaged by a fire in late March.

O'Reilly was granted bail with the provision that he put up $10,000 in cash, and that he reside in Alberta.

Originally damages to the Ramsey building were pegged at $3.5 million, but fire investigators said the damage is now estimated at $5.5 million.

http://edmonton.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...b=EdmontonHome

^when is the next flight to russia?
    www.decl.org

The article says, "O'Reilly will be back in court at the end of May".

Too late for flights to Mexico.

Thanks for the updates guys!

Found this article too, and I actually laughed at it. Not at the article, but the judicial system.
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...653/story.html

I think part of the appeal of Brittany's is its backalley-ness of the place, if you know what I'm saying.

As for the Nikita's space, I wouldn't mind seeing something like a Cactus Club go in there, assuming the space is the right size for them.
    You are right SDM! That is why Brittany is trying to hang onto it. A lot of people suggest she just move to another property but it just wouldn't be the same.

Court orders sale of Kelly-Ramsey

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...010/story.html

A historic downtown landmark damaged by arson in March is on the market as part of a court-ordered sale for less than half of what is owing on the property.

The two neighbouring buildings on Rice-Howard Way -- known collectively as the Kelly-Ramsey Building -- are among four properties owned by local developer Worthington Properties that came on the market this week under a judicial listing process.

The asking price for both buildings is $10 million. The provincial land title certificate shows a lengthy list of encumbrances, liens and interest, including three mortgages totalling more than $23,225,000, and debts to the Canada Revenue Agency of $2.8 million and $529,839.

This is fantastic!! Someone can scope it up for a deal and reinvest money back into it!

Truley exciting

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast