Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Enbridge Centre (was Kelly Ramsey Building Rebuild) | Retail & Office |

C2E SME

I think the City of Edmonton has to send a message to these property owners that this kind of crap will not be tolerated. To think that these owners could get away with arson.

Still, I think that the liens and money owing could make this sale difficult.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

I don;t think the new owners would be responsible for the debt.

Esp not any money owing to Rev Can.

I'd rather C2E than work!

How not to do business (from the Journal article on Saturday)....

Court-ordered judicial sales are typically used to liquidate properties involved in foreclosure actions, where a lender tries to collect on a defaulted mortgage, according to the website Albertajudicialsales.com. It's not clear whether that is the case with the Worthington Properties buildings.

...... Worthington had aggressively bought downtown buildings for several years and redeveloped some, such as the Macdonald's Consolidated building, said The Journal article in 2005. Some projects fell behind schedule, such as the Bank of Montreal Building at 10089 Jasper Ave., which remained empty.

A Worthington leasing agent said in the 2005 Journal article that Worthington specialized in buying derelict or underperforming buildings with high potential for redevelopment as condos. But this strategy requires heavy borrowing at relatively high interest rates, spending for improvements, plus operating costs and long delays before earning any cash, he said.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...010/story.html
    By the way, does insurance pay for the arson damage or is buying the building "as-is"?
    Last edited by North Guy66; 03-05-2009 at 03:21 AM.

onsurance would cover a lot of the damage. There will be code updates that will need to be done in the rebuilding process. Insurance may or may not cover that as it depends on the policy.

The insurance company then has a right to sue the criminal.

If worthington was found to have a hand in this (not speculating just exploring a situation) and say hired the guy to do this, then insurance would cover nothing.
    You can bet bottom dollar that the insurance company is exploring all angles. it would be interesting to e the adjuster on this one!

No news here yet, folks!

We are still waiting for the go ahead to rebuild. And that is all I can pretty much say. At this point in time we are getting zero info from anyone involved with that building.

But Brittany is still commited to getting her place going again. In that building.

Cheers!

My, what a tangled web we weave...

I am so happy Worthington is out of the picture once the property is sold.

Was the Charles Camsell one of the properties ordered to be sold? That site has such potential.

C2E Long Term Contributor

^that is not worthington...
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

deleted
    Last edited by kcantor; 11-05-2009 at 10:39 AM. Reason: duplicate post - sorry
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by blainehamilton View Post
    My, what a tangled web we weave...

I am so happy Worthington is out of the picture once the property is sold.

Was the Charles Camsell one of the properties ordered to be sold? That site has such potential.
    i believe gene dub acquired the camsell site a few years back and has some pretty cool plans for the site that received zoning appoval sometime last year if my memory is correct.

the site has a thread here at htthttp://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=920&highlight=camsellp://

My mistake. Not sure how I got that mixed up.

Looking forward to the Kelly-Ramsey buildings getting refurbished...

Getting anything out of the hands of an owner that is so cash strapped they can't do anything to restore an architectural gem is great news.

I'm going to remain positive and hope for the best. If the new owner puts even a bit of work into the building it will be a real gem.
    LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by blainehamilton View Post
    My mistake. Not sure how I got that mixed up.
    There was an article related to the fire that mentioned Worthington had once owned the old hospital site... so that's likely where you got that from.

Default Updates ?

Sooooo, Do we have any updates or info on the site ??

Or information on the court case?

Update on the Kelly Ramsey Building..............no update!

CBC News at Six spoke to the owner of Co Co Di Restaurant as he packs to move to Jasper ave. (2 minutes in the newscast link)

Gene Dub gives his opinion on the status of the Ramsey. Also there is reference to the Arlington fiasco. (31 minutes in the newscast)

http://www.cbc.ca/video/popup.html?h...x/edmonton.asx

North Guy66, thanks for the link.

It was a good story, but Brittany's is still there. Co Co Di's isn't the last to leave. It would take about 2-3 weeks of hard work for her to open again.

The reporter was correct in the fact there isn't much damage to the building. There were engineers there that did a structural report and the building is fine. The whole building was waterlogged, and in fact you can still see areas where water is still sweating out of the concrete and brick.

Problem right now is absolutely nobody is saying anything. We are 100% in the dark as to what is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    Problem right now is absolutely nobody is saying anything. We are 100% in the dark as to what is going on.
    That's exactly what the Co Co Di's owner was griping about. He couldn't get any answers from the city's Heritage Planning department, the mortgage company, or the building's former owner. He cannot wait any longer, as he's already been closed for 4 months already, so that is why he's relocating.

What a disaster... the courts should force the sale of the building to a different owner. This is BS.

No doubt a lot of the silence has to do with the dubious dealings of the owner.

$10 million asking price for the building in its current condition? Wow.
    Last edited by MylesC; 29-07-2009 at 12:04 AM.

Again, considering all the ethical and problematic dealings of the company, the courts should enter into the picture and sell off the property. Is the city just going to allow these buildings to sit burned out like they did with the Arlington? A time limit needs to be implemented.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the buildings were in the process of being foreclosed on. The mortgage holders now control the buildings, not Worthington. The city has absolutely zero power to force them to sell the buildings at any price. That's what property rights are for.

But the courts can force them to sell... There was something on the National several months ago about a condo owner in Vancouver. He was arguing with 3 other owners in the same complex (the owners lived overseas and didn't maintain the property). In the end, because the other owners refused to pay their share of maintenance and repair costs to the building, the courts stepped in and sold the building and split the sale prices between all four owners. I don't see why something similar couldn't be attempted here. I doubt a bank wants to sit on a burned out building for years... if they had foreclosed on Worthington, they would've sold it immediately.

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...&postcount=199

There you go, barely 20 posts previous. The buildings have been foreclosed, and the lenders are in the process of selling them. Considering they are owed over $20 million and they're asking 10 currently, no, I don't think it's appropriate (and most definitely not even possible) for the City to somehow force the sale only a couple months after they listed them.

It's an unfortunate situation to be sure, but property rights are integral to our society. I would be extremely concerned if the City could force an auction on a property only a few short months after it was foreclosed on. And so would every lender in the country.

Let's be realistic here.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by raz0469 View Post
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...&postcount=199

There you go, barely 20 posts previous. The buildings have been foreclosed, and the lenders are in the process of selling them. Considering they are owed over $20 million and they're asking 10 currently, no, I don't think it's appropriate (and most definitely not even possible) for the City to somehow force the sale only a couple months after they listed them.

It's an unfortunate situation to be sure, but property rights are integral to our society. I would be extremely concerned if the City could force an auction on a property only a few short months after it was foreclosed on. And so would every lender in the country.

Let's be realistic here.
    although there are certain things that may be possible (even if some minor amendments to the mga may be needed to implement them).

one of the points made in the arlington thread was that perhaps the city should be a named insured, particularly if funds have been provided and where there are designations involved.

another suggestion was to have the cost of "renting" the sidewalks and streets adjacent to the site for scaffolding and hoarding etc. increase proportionately with the length of time being rented with no substantive work being undertake behind them.

still another might be to have property taxes elevated to a level appropriate with the city's additional costs and negative impacts of having derelict structures - for whatever reason - that would serve as an "incentive" for owners - and their lenders - not to abuse their rights... it always struck me as strange that those owners that continually strive to improve their properties are "penalized" for it while those that do nothing or worse ultimately benefit from their negligence (think of the difference between the hotel macdonald and the old cecil or cromdale hotels as an example)...

Very good suggestions, and I agree with your sentiment regarding property taxes, derelict buildings, and absentee owners. It's a shame to see these buildings in the state they are, but until they're bought, we aren't going to see any work done on them. Hopefully they're moved in the near future, to an owner who doesn't have "business" in Russia and "partners" in Slovakia.

^ Keep Dr. Singh away from it too.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

It's too bad Worthington doesn't own the Cromdale.

Also what's depressing about this is the loss of the restaurants and their patios. I walk past every weekday and inside the restaurants are all still a mess and the loss of the patios is a big loss for Edmonton in the summer because downtown there are not that many.
    We are all the same, just different...

Thats true...however, I am hopeful that a new owner will buy the building, spend some money on it, and lease it out to some good tenants.

I guess if the building is purchased and restored, something like the Cactus Club might work well in the old Coco Di space, especially if it could take over more of the retail spaces in the ground floor of the building.

Anyone know what's happening with this building these days?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I walked by there the other day and it didn't look like anything had been done. Most of the ground floor restaurants have been left as they were the day after the fire.

This is starting to look like the Arlington all over again.

These buildings are still sound and won't fall over... Ther Arlington maybe could have been saved if work had started on it rigth after the fire, but it did not take long for it to become a lost cause.

I wouldn't expect much to be done until the Courts determine who gets what from Worthingtons assets. And apparently, this is going to drag on for some time.

What's a long time? A year? 2 years?

Who knows, its wrapped up in the courts.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    What's a long time? A year? 2 years?
    Years. Lawyers and judges are involved.

So does this mean that those retail and resto-bar spaces are going to sit empty during that time?

Yes. The ownership of the buildings is completely up in the air. You can't lease or repair a building whose ownership is in dispute.

Anything involving Worthington is just a mess. This isn't the only property that they were involved with that's wrapped up in legal matters.....

Edmonton Journal -

City must act soon on Kelly-Ramsey hulk
    Future of Rice-Howard Way may hang in the balance

"The longer it sits derelict, the worse the impact on the Rice-Howard Way cafe district. And the longer it remains unrepaired and open to the elements, the more likely it is that we will lose this signature downtown site, as we lost the old Arlington apartment building.

Coun. Ben Henderson, whose ward includes Rice-Howard Way, vows that won't happen.

"The Arlington wounds still run pretty deep with us. The city will fight tooth and nail to make sure this building's not turned into a parking lot. I will fight tooth and nail to save it, and I won't be the only one." "

Full Article - http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...970/story.html
    www.decl.org

Good article. It makes me wonder what we can do to help the City make this work??

Partially Addicted to C2E

Why dont they cover the broken burnt out windows with boards or plastic of something to keep out birds and elements of winter while this whole process goes on?

^apparently that is supposed to happen soon, according to Councillor Henderson. How and who's doing it I'm not sure.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

Well te city better make sure not to lose this building. We need to save buildings like this and we need to fill in the empty spaces throughout the downtown core.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Ben Henderson has the right idea. Buy it, or at least expropriate it if property taxes are owing.

Social, economic cost to losing Kelly-Ramsey block

$3M abargain to protect, preserve key historic site downtown

By Paula Simons, Edmonton JournalNovember 14, 2009 7:17 AMBe the first to post a comment

* Story
    * Photos ( 1 )

the burnt-out Kelly-ramsey buildings sit vacant on rice-howard Way.

the burnt-out Kelly-ramsey buildings sit vacant on rice-howard Way.
    Photograph by: Rick Macwilliam, The Journal, Edmonton Journal

Call it a fire sale.

The grand Kelly-Ramsey block in Rice Howard Way has been sitting vacant and derelict ever since it was damaged in an arson fire last March.

Technically, the title to the twin buildings is held by the debt-burdened local development company, Worthington Properties. But last spring, a group of Worthington's creditors won a judicial order to sell the building, to help pay off some of the company's debt.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...991/story.html
    www.decl.org

"But there is a simpler answer. The City of Edmonton could simply buy the building itself, protect the integrity of Rice-Howard Way, and restore the Kelly-Ramsey Building as the heart of the downtown cafe district"

DO IT, DO IT NOW EDMONTON!
    www.decl.org

I am actually thinking we need to start a petition on this...
    www.decl.org

Addicted to C2E

$3 Million would only buy the burnt out building. The rebuilding costs are no doubt going to be substantially more. I'm all for the city getting involved to save the block, but i doubt they could muster much public support to preserve a cafe district.

The city needs to work to find a developer that is willing to partner with them on this. Then maybe the city could purchase the block and sell it back to a responsible developer for $1 on the condition that they fully restore the building within a set period of time.

I'm dissapointed that Paula didn't dig a little deeper and find out what the insurance angle was on the fire. Maybe that was already reported a while back.

EDM! JUST DO IT.

Who cares if $3 million just buys the building. Yes, it would take some work, but the City could turn that into a fantastic example of heritage architecture in an urban core. Without the rot of Worthington strangling it, hopefully it can be filled up again with fantastic restaurants and all kinds of useful space above.

^So the City would be a wonderful property developer?

I have no problem at all with the city providing incentives to get an area developed, perhaps a subsidy per new accommodation unit for all of downtown (say $10,000 per unit - it could even be a property tax deferal)? Any development downtown could qualify, be it Aurora, Stationlands, etc. I would love that, it would make far more sense than the long term subsidies that are blindly provided to proposed new neighborhoods (we will shovel your snow, build you a recreation facility, upgrade roads there with new overpasses, etc.)

But getting involved in specific residential or commercial development project (an exception might be a facility the public needs) is starting to cross the line. Why would the City for example, buy this site, but not the Cromdale Hotel? How about other old buildings that might be torn down? Why don't we buy up every basket case building in the City? Heck, following that logic, since over half our buildings are basket cases, perhaps City could buy everything and we would have a Utopian socialist ideal city!

This has waste written all over it. City will be ripped off at auction or in negotiations. City will then overpay contractors to "fix it" (since contractors know City will overpay). IMO this isn't a wise use of funds, compared for example, to my suggestion in the second paragraph.
    Last edited by moahunter; 15-11-2009 at 09:53 AM.

^You do know that the City currently develops its own land and sells lots to the public and it has been doing so for decades. Recent examples include the Brintnell neighbourhood in NE Edmonton and a portion of the business park / commercial area along Ellerslie Road and 91 Street.

I don't think there is anything wrong with a municipality purchasing property and seeking partnerships with the private sector when the circumstances warrant. The Kelly-Ramsay building is not just a burnt out building in a non-descript location. It's a prominent architectural feature in our downtown and one of the few historical buildings remaining.

Chris nailed it on the head. We're not talking the Cromdale or some random building.

The Kelsey-Ramsay is a critical aspect of RHW and if the City wants to walk the walk and actually care about downtown....here it is.

No, no. Heaven forbid the City getting into development! We'll chide them if they do that, but lament the loss of the Kelsey/Ramsay if they don't. It's a delightful circle of negativity, no?

By your logic the City should completely abandon the Fort Road plans as well, since they're the property owners. Sell it off and leave it to chance!

PS - the subsidy thing was already done. Nothing new there....

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    This has waste written all over it. City will be ripped off at auction or in negotiations. City will then overpay contractors to "fix it" (since contractors know City will overpay). IMO this isn't a wise use of funds, compared for example, to my suggestion in the second paragraph.
    maybe you'd like to tell us all how you feel about the city's involvment in saving the goodridge block and how that turned out?

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    maybe you'd like to tell us all how you feel about the city's involvment in saving the goodridge block and how that turned out?
    Good example, thanks Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by MylesC View Post
    By your logic the City should completely abandon the Fort Road plans as well, since they're the property owners. Sell it off and leave it to chance!

PS - the subsidy thing was already done. Nothing new there....
    The subsidy thing worked, and needs to be looked at for more areas. As to Fort Road or similar, again, look at subsidies, but no need to actually develop the building.

As to saving historic buildings, that's good and noble. But I think the people who want to save them, should be the ones paying - set up a heritage fund or similar if you care so much. I don't see this as the role of the City of Edmonton, by getting involved in this one through ownership, it just sets another precedent that the City will bail out creditors or owners in some situations, but not others.
    Last edited by moahunter; 15-11-2009 at 06:50 PM.

^Who said the City would develop anything?? Perhaps they leave that to the private sector partner who has that expertise.

And I think when it comes to historical preservation, the City has a right on behalf of its citizens, to become involved in some form to ensure these historic features are retained.

The City has a right on behalf of its citizens, to stay out of it as well. It will be intereting to see what they decide. I just hope they make the right decision, and this doesn't end up turning into a costly $10m plus fiasco.

^When it comes to upholding history which contributes to establishing identity and a unique sense of place for the community, the City should get involved.

It will be interesting to see what happens here though.

One only has to look at Montreal and how their government has preserved much of the Vieux-Montreal district.

The Executive Committee will be discussing this issue first thing at their meeting this Wednesday at 9:30am. If anyone want to speak out in favour of the City intervening here, I encourage you to talk to Ben Henderson, as I can't make it.

Having just returned from Calgary this weekend I was reminded just how much buildings such as this contribute to a city and its feel.

The City needs to step up here and ensure we do not lose more of our very small stock of historic buildings.
    www.decl.org

Here is a report prepared for the Executive Committee meeting on Wednesday that I was pointed to after contacting Coun. Henderson. I hope someone can make it to voice support for the preservation of this resource. It's times like this I wish I was a property developer who had the resources to step in and make a difference...

http://ereg2.edmonton.ca/sirepub/cac...9112321794.PDF

I just emailed both of my councillors indicating support for the City to buy this and work to preserve/restore them and encourage you all to do the same.
    www.decl.org

Done like dinner.

As has been mentioned - if anyone can get to the Executive Committee meeting tomorrow at 9:30, contact Mr. Henderson and get on da' speaking list!

^second that! Or at least send in an email of support!

^I just sent an email as well
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

I not only sent an email of support, I will be attending and speaking at the meeting. Glad to be able to add my 'two cents worth of opinion' to the efforts to save the Kelly Ramsey

I will be there as well.
    www.decl.org

Just returned with some good news...

Had the pleasure to meet and speak alongside 'Britthal' (great meeting you) and Jim Taylor. We conveyed the importance of these buildings to the city/downtown and need to act quickly to enclose/secure them.

After some discussion and a private review, Mayor Mandel noted that the City will be asking the Province for Historical 'A' designation for both.

Additionally, a buyer has put forth an offer to purchase who has 'significant experience' and 'precedent' both downtown and the southside. One can only assume this might be John Day. If so we could not ask for a better purchaser IMO.

With that said, the City should IMO have a back up offer to secure rights to the building.
    www.decl.org

That sounds promising.

My biggest fear is that this will become Arlington v2.0

^the 'A' word was referenced many times...
    www.decl.org

walked by today and saw these (old?) stickers for the property on the windows of cocodi
    http://www.clicktoviewcanada.com/
    Property # AB1924
    Great views of the sun pouring into the south windows BTW
    Would love the op to see the interiors again

Offer made for Edmonton's Kelly-Ramsey block
    BY GORDON KENT, EDMONTONJOURNAL.COMNOVEMBER 18, 2009 1:03 PM

EDMONTON — A white knight could be riding to the rescue of Edmonton’s historic Kelly-Ramsey Building downtown.

The Rice Howard Way structure has been unused since it was heavily damaged by fire last spring, creating concerns snow and rain could damage it further until it must be demolished, as happened with the old Arlington Apartments.

Creditors have put the building up for judicial sale for $3 million after no one bid at the price of $10 million.

Jim Taylor, the Downtown Business Association’s executive director, told council’s executive committee Wednesday someone he wouldn’t name made an offer last week.

The developer has helped revive downtown and Old Strathcona, and has a reputation “every member of council knows and applauds,” Taylor said.

He urged the city to purchase the building if a suitable private sale can’t be arranged.

“We’re very seriously concerned if we don’t solve the Kelly-Ramsey situation, there’s no hope to solve the Rice Howard Way situation,” he said.

Full Story: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/busin...549/story.html

It's a nice thought that the fire set to that building may have been a blessing in disguise.

Sounds like John Day. If so, that would be excellent news.

^Awesome...let's hope this pans out! Thanks to you IanO and Britthal for showing up and speaking on behalf of downtown and C2E'ers!

I'll bet $20 buck on John Day, hehe.

Thanks, IanO and Britthal, for showing up this morning!!

That's what we are here for...:>
    www.decl.org

It was a pleasure meeting you too IanO & thanks again for attending I am happy with the feed-back received today..A definite step in the right direction. I would have kicked myself if I hadn't gone to express how important saving, restoring it and bringing the building & RWH back to life is..

Coming from a tenant that would love to have the time to wait and see what happens and still holds hope of one day re-opening, but is realistic enough to be actively searching for a new location...Hard to replace a building and area you loved though

First One is Always Free

Does anyone know who eventually won this bid?

^not sure if it has closed yet or met conditions.
    www.decl.org

C2E Continued Contributor

Hasn't closed yet.
    Almost always open to debate...

First One is Always Free

New owner plans to save facade

Kelly-Ramsey block damaged in fire last March

The fire-damaged Kelly-Ramsey block has been sold and the new owner says he intends to preserve the historic downtown buildings.

Although city officials worried the twin buildings on Rice Howard Way would be allowed to deteriorate or even be demolished following a blaze last March, John Day says at least the exterior will be protected.

"That was one of our motivations for getting into it in the first place -- we didn't want to see it torn down," the Edmonton lawyer said Monday.

"We wanted to see it maintained and improved and possibly (floors) added on to ... the top."

Full story here: Edmonton Journal
    Last edited by davidnorwoodink; 02-02-2010 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Reproducing full articles not permitted. Link provided instead

^please respect the rules of C2E and post only the first few sentences with a direct link to the source.

I would love to see another boutique hotel in there with floors added and some office space with retail on the main.
    www.decl.org

He hopes to reach a deal with tenants and start redevelopment within a few months, and might seek municipal or provincial historic designation.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...088/story.html
    Sounds as if Day has been hard at work in preparation for another great revitalization project. MY HERO!!!

First One is Always Free

^ Noted, sorry about that. The news excited me I guess.

C2E SME

Well this is very good and exciting news. Hopefully we'll see a good mix of uses that will not only bring life back to the building but maybe with luck something that will bring even more people to the area.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Great news, hopefully they do get going in the next few months.

The article mentions adding extra floors... I wonder what that could mean?

I hope they retain the restaurant spaces for restaurants.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Agreed... retail on the first floor is very important to keeping RHW busy.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Agreed... retail on the first floor is very important to keeping RHW busy.
    100% sure that will happen
    www.decl.org

I hope to see this become another new focal point in downtown revitalization; 104 St. is buzzing these days, I really hope to see RHW buzzing like that once again.
    Strathcona City Separatist

Quote Originally Posted by RTA View Post
    I hope to see this become another new focal point in downtown revitalization; 104 St. is buzzing these days, I really hope to see RHW buzzing like that once again.
    yup

it needs a BRAND NAME restaurant supplemented by 1-2 other independents

with patios
    www.decl.org

repost
    Last edited by IanO; 02-02-2010 at 12:22 PM.

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast