Thread: Signature bridge

First One is Always Free

Default Signature bridge

I think that Edmonton should build a signature suspension bridge from the end of Calgary Trail across to 105 Street. Something like the Viaduc de Millau Bridge ( http://www.siteselection.com/ssinsid...t/sf050103.htm ) that would provide a frame to the river valley as well as the downtown. Something that would look 21st century, light and impossibly airy.

Partially Addicted to C2E

I do think it's a great idea, and the city could use a better main roadway to downtown...

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Since calm logic doesn't work, I guess it is time to employ sarcasm. ...and before you call me an a-hole...remember, I am a Dick.

I agree with your post but am kinda split on one spanning that long (would take away from the beauty of the river valley and take the driver away from the river valley). Instead we should embrace it and completely rebuild the James Mac Bridge and have it designed by a SIGNATURE ARCHITECT!! That is the key as I think a bridge by a well known architect is what it would take to really put this city on the map. If done right it could be in several architect and design books automatically labelling Edmonton as a city with some architectural marvel as well as looking great with the city skyline in the backdrop. Would be an amazing photo!! I have posted some of my favorite bridges in the past, one is by an amazing architect named Santiago Calatrava. http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgur...icial%26sa%3DN
    I think this could be edmontons gateway to the 21st century.
    "Its not where you go, but how you get there"

C2E Long Term Contributor

The money wasted on rebuilding the James MacDonald Bridge would be better spent on a badly-needed expansion of the Walterdale Bridge.

We need more bridge capacity of some sort. And I think properly designed to fit the environment, a landmark bridge would be a tremendous boost to the city.

The current bridges are old, tiny and do nothing to become the river valley (with the possible exeption of the High Level).

simply put, we need gateway to come into downtown without a bobsled run.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

grish

Build it...

I'd rather C2E than work!

Not everybody shares a love for Santiago Calatrava. I do see her point on fish skeletons showing up all over the world.
    http://gizmodo.com/why-cities-need-t...ish-1543063363

The nice thing about Calatrava's Peace Bridge in Calgary is that it is a bit different from most of his other designs, the color for one, next the lattice tube that supports it. I think it is a much nicer design than the Terwillegar Foot Bridge stressed ribbon under construction now.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peace_..._%28Calgary%29

Where are the huge bolting plates? We want to see the huge bolting plates. What did they do, Photoshop them all away????

FAKE! FAKE! FAKE! renderings...
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

No but they probably Photoshopped out the people slipping on the glass tiles (glass tiles for walking on ... huh, what, why would you ever) or the falling tiles on a few of his designs.

People on glass bridges should not throw stones

source

source
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 20-04-2016 at 12:25 PM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Oh I've been on few, good for touristy things (Glacier Skywalk) not so good for actual pedestrian use, especially when it rains.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    Where are the huge bolting plates? We want to see the huge bolting plates. What did they do, Photoshop them all away????

FAKE! FAKE! FAKE! renderings...
    You would typically not include those or that level of detail IMO.
    www.decl.org

I was responding to sundance's post #9 and the pictures of the Santiago Calatrava bridges. I see no bolting plates on any of them. What happened with ours that looks like it was built from LEGO?

flickr

flickr

source

http://www.promozioneacciaio.it/cms/...gio-emilia.asp
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 22-04-2016 at 06:47 AM.

A signature bridge would be a fantastic idea. For some reason, though, it seems that Edmonton just cannot receive value for it's money. The Deh Cho bridge in the NWT was built for approximately $220M (finished in 2012) and is 1.1km. It's unfortunate that replacing the Walterdale in Edmonton costed as much money as it did for such a comparatively shorter span.

I agree with the older posts in this thread, it is time for embrace this project. A 5 lane bridge with lane control (3 lanes into downtown in the morning and 3 lanes out in the afternoon) or a 6 lane from the get go. An offshoot to Rossdale...our future version of Granville Island. Lastly, consider shutting down High Level and convert it into a walkable HighLine for our city. Such amazing potential.

And, to help pay...let's consider a toll on this bridge. Yes, tolls are expensive, but this could help to finance and pay for an amazing piece of architecture whilst helping to literally move our city forward.

No tolls on something like this and while much longer, the new walterdale is infinitely more complex in its geometry/design. Certainly the construction of the DC is far more remote, but also far more lego like.
    www.decl.org

highlander

Lego-like, perhaps, with it's deck truss.

More beautiful, absolutely. Walterdale bridge suffers in my eye from it's lack of functional form. It's simply too short for the arch to look right, because that massive arch isn't necessary.

Agree to disagree I guess... personally I love the new design and dimensions.
    www.decl.org

I agree highlander. It is really a short span. I would have preferred a open air span that had all the support underneath so drivers and pedestrians alike have an unobstructed view of the city skyline.

For me it is a gateway device.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    No tolls on something like this and while much longer, the new walterdale is infinitely more complex in its geometry/design. Certainly the construction of the DC is far more remote, but also far more lego like.
    Even i fledge like, it is arguably as stunning a bridge to look at as the one that is to be our new Walterdale bridge. Further, the fact that that bridge is so remote, whether lego or not, seems to underscore that we just do not receive value for our money. Consider that the DC bridge is also way longer than the Walterdale and it really makes you wonder if we would have been better off to put the Walterdale money into a better, signature bridge as discussed earlier.

I know from a design perspective you find the Walterdale more intriguing, but the DC is also a lot better than anything we currently have in our city.

This one isn't Santiago's fault but vandals ...
    http://www.metronews.ca/news/calgary...ns-200000.html