Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The Weather Thread

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I was driving home at approx. 5:15, then the Environment Canada alert was issued about the conditions by Ponoka. It was on most of the radio stations I flipped through. Then at home at about 5:45 I was watching something I had PVR'd, another alert actually overrode my PVR show. I could not change channels or anything.
    Was surprised at the integration of how this all worked. Good to know that we have an emergency system that can be activated like that.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Unfortunately the computer generated voice was difficult to understand.

Environment Canada automated tornado warning hard to understand

Given the number of odd place names and the importance of the information perhaps they should stick to recording an actual human reading the alert.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

The alert that caused such confusion on Thursday wasn't generated by Alberta Emergency Management Agency, which has come under criticism in the past for audio issues.

Instead, the message came from Alert Ready which is run by Environment Canada.
    Many years ago the emergency broadcast message originated from CKUA Radio. If there was a severe weather warning, Environment Canada would send the info to CKUA. They will produce the message and relay it to all of the other broadcasters.

However a stingy premier named Ralph Klein decided to save pennies and sourced out the warning system to a company in Ontario.

Now the article states there were compatibility issues between Alberta Emergency Management Agency and Environment Canada's Alert Ready. Welcome to the world of Robocall weather warnings!

C2E Hard Core Contributor

New Edmonton rainfall data website.

EDMONTON - Edmonton storm watchers can now check online to see how much rain has fallen in different parts of the city and how much impact it’s having.

The city has put information from its 30 rain gauges in the region into the open data catalogue.

“People are concerned about weather when it happens, and what it can do in their neighbourhood,” senior drainage engineer Scott Vatcher said Monday. “This is really meant to show that the rainfall in Edmonton can be pretty variable depending on where you are.”

For example, while about 25 millimetres fell in Sherwood Park over the previous day, only 2.3 millimetres was recorded a short distance north in Clover Bar.
    https://data.edmonton.ca/

http://weather.gc.ca/warnings/report...0501ws1676cwwg

Alerts for: City of Edmonton - St. Albert - Sherwood Park
    Statements
    11:20 AM CST Tuesday 26 January 2016
    Special weather statement in effect for:

City of Edmonton - St. Albert - Sherwood Park
    An upper level disturbance will make its way across central Alberta this afternoon into this evening bringing with it an area of showers. Though daytime temperatures will climb above freezing in most areas, roadways and sidewalks will remain frozen which will likely become icy once the rain falls on it. Also of note, this system has the potential to create moderate rain showers where local accumulations could reach 5 to 10 mm. If sufficient drainage is not available, this could lead to some localized flooding.

Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to [email protected] or tweet reports to #ABStorm.

Default Rain, Finally

Based on amounts that have already fallen and are forecast looks like the Edmonton area will receive at least 70mm of rain before the low pressure system leaves the province on Tuesday.

Hasn't done much for my Victoria Day weekend gardening plans, but the rain is nevertheless most welcome.

The only part of the province that doesn't seem to have received lots of precipitation so far is northeastern Alberta which needs it the most. Though the Jimmy Lake radar station is showing a fairly intense cell moving toward the Fort Mc area as I am writing this.

http://weather.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=whn
    Last edited by East McCauley; 22-05-2016 at 05:23 PM. Reason: include link

More rain since thursday then in the last 7 months combined

Granted it doesn't rain much in the winter? Or is that a measure of precipitation rather than rain?

According to Environment Canada, total precipitation (rain + melted snow) for November through April was 66.2 mm. Up to yesterday, we were at 38.7 mm for May. If we do get to 70 mm before the rain stops, it will be more than the last 6 months combined.

Average precipitation is 111 mm for November through April and 46 mm for May, so this will bring us close to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by East McCauley View Post
    Based on amounts that have already fallen and are forecast looks like the Edmonton area will receive at least 70mm of rain before the low pressure system leaves the province on Tuesday.

Hasn't done much for my Victoria Day weekend gardening plans, but the rain is nevertheless most welcome.

The only part of the province that doesn't seem to have received lots of precipitation so far is northeastern Alberta which needs it the most. Though the Jimmy Lake radar station is showing a fairly intense cell moving toward the Fort Mc area as I am writing this.

http://weather.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=whn
    Seeded my garden April 18 if you can believe it. Everything up and going. Peas 6 inches high. I took a gamble we wouldn't have much freezing. Actually lowest its been on overnights is -2 but only short overnight duration and plants have withstanded that. Last couple of years I'm taking advantage of our freakish weather patterns. Oh, a few of my Tomatoes already blooming. Started with the 6/pack bedding plants soon as Canadian Tire had them.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Long Term Contributor

The rain is needed, but I wish it was in Fort Mac 20 days ago.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    Granted it doesn't rain much in the winter? Or is that a measure of precipitation rather than rain?
    Total precip. Cbc news network was saying this morning weve already had 83mm since thursday

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    Total precip. Cbc news network was saying this morning weve already had 83mm since thursday
    Interesting thing is theres no pooling of water either. Ground is so dry, so deep, its just soaking it up.

Normally with this amount of rain you would be seeing some standing water on lawns/fields.

Been a nice steady rain as well so not much reports of flooding anywhere.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    The rain is needed, but I wish it was in Fort Mac 20 days ago.
    Its helping the whole province immensely. We might just have averted a whole summer of some Northern fires. Further tragedies unknown, that now will probably be mitigated.

Much of the province was a tinderbox till these rains came. Never been so thankful for rain/precipitation. Something we take for granted when its around but it hadn't been this year.

Im seeing lots of standing water today. Not so much yesterday... But lots today

Billion dollar rain http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/e...a-ag-1.3596002

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Interesting thing is theres no pooling of water either. Ground is so dry, so deep, its just soaking it up.

Normally with this amount of rain you would be seeing some standing water on lawns/fields.

Been a nice steady rain as well so not much reports of flooding anywhere.
    Forget patios and session-pints in the sun, we needed this in the worst way. Our pasture is finally starting to green-up. No standing water that I've seen as the neighbour and I drove around this morning checking our properties, the greenery and soil sucked it up like a dried out slice of bread. Steady rain and moisture for days on end is ideal.

The storm water management ponds in the SW are getting close to the top of their banks...

Friends parents basement has flooded in the west end

Get ready for super mosquito hatching season. Zika will be coming soon too, already reaching Great Lakes and heading into Europe. As if our brains aren't under enough stress as it is.

Now that the mosquito is a serious threat to humans - Zika, West Nile, etc., can't mozzies be eradicated altogether? Or would that seriously ruin the world's ecology?
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

For anyone who might be interested in weather minutia: http://edmontonweathernerdery.blogspot.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    Now that the mosquito is a serious threat to humans - Zika, West Nile, etc., can't mozzies be eradicated altogether? Or would that seriously ruin the world's ecology?
    Now? Mosquitos have always been a serious threat to humans. What is changing is the ability of mosquito born diseases to impact rich, western nations. For Canada the vast majority of these diseases aren't spread by local species and because the diseases are spread by adult mosquitos, winter breaks the cycle every year.

There are over 3500 species of mosquito but only a few of them spread human disease. There is some debate over whether eradicating those few would be be a big problem. The biggest unknown, though, would be whether something worse would fill the spot vacated.

Of course right now we have no practical way of eliminating a species of mosquito. The best method come up with so far is genetically modifying a male so that it's offspring are unable to reproduce. In tests it has reduced populations by over 90 per cent but was still short of eradication.

BBC has a pretty comprehensive article:

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35408835

City mosquito-spraying crews finally get work to do
    Slow, steady rain perfect for plants, but less than ideal for mosquitoes

Edmonton has been doing a great job at this the last few years.

How bad the mosquitoes will get depends on the next few days as larvae mature into adults.

While warm days such as Wednesday will enhance development, the cooler temperatures predicted for the upcoming weekend will slow things down, giving city crews a chance to get a jump on spraying for the larvae.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Get ready for super mosquito hatching season. Zika will be coming soon too, already reaching Great Lakes and heading into Europe. As if our brains aren't under enough stress as it is.
    Please fear monger more zika isnt here wait till after the Olympics though.....

Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    Please fear monger more zika isnt here
    Insert fear mongering
    Quote Originally Posted by Legion View Post
    wait till after the Olympics though.....
    and done

There's a thread for pandemic issues already:

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ad.php?t=10675

Active afternoon

Just gotta say this was probably the most uninspired, lousy and chilliest October I have ever experienced living the vast majority of my life in Edmonton. Not a single nice streak of lukewarm temperatures, as we know a string of around 20C days is usually common. WTF happened? Oh yeah, La Nina is on her way.

Gonna be a average to below average winter this year IMO, just as Environment Canada and Farmer's say. Bundle up.

Also so many crops still laying in the fields. A bit of sun to melt the snow then it rains again. Must be very stressful being a farmer right now.

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post

Mapping the End of Malaria
    By Bill Gates | October 10, 2016

A few years ago, I pulled off a purposeful prank. While I was giving a TED Talk on malaria to a room full of influential people, I opened a canister and let loose a small swarm of mosquitoes. “There’s no reason that only poor people should have the experience,” I said. I let the audience squirm in their seats for about half a minute before I let on that the mosquitoes were not infected with malaria. My gimmick worked. A distant problem suddenly got very close to home.

Today, gimmicks are no longer necessary for convincing Americans of the danger of mosquito-borne diseases. The spread of Zika virus in south Florida, Puerto Rico, and other parts of the U.S. has given millions of Americans a direct understanding what it’s like to live with the fear of mosquitoes and the harm they can do, especially to pregnant women and children.
    The world must ..."

https://www.gatesnotes.com/Health/Ma...End-of-Malaria
    The Deadliest Animal in the World
    By Bill Gates | April 25, 2014

https://www.gatesnotes.com/Health/Mo...-Mosquito-Week

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Also so many crops still laying in the fields. A bit of sun to melt the snow then it rains again. Must be very stressful being a farmer right now.

A great time for the NDP to offer subsidies to them. Now that the wheat marketing board is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitlope View Post
    Just gotta say this was probably the most uninspired, lousy and chilliest October I have ever experienced living the vast majority of my life in Edmonton. Not a single nice streak of lukewarm temperatures, as we know a string of around 20C days is usually common. WTF happened? Oh yeah, La Nina is on her way.

Gonna be a average to below average winter this year IMO, just as Environment Canada and Farmer's say. Bundle up.
    Cool and wet would describe every month since May.

I'll throw some gardening anecdotes in here.

I'll add that I feel sorry for the farmers. There has been literally no chance this year to get much of any kind of harvest in. Even as a gardener its been a challenge. Starting from the miserable snow dump the amount and ground cover of which was entirely unexpected. At no point since has the ground come close to drying out. Still have root veggies in garden, also parsley (which does fine in these conditions and Swiss chard which is hardy as well. ) As most gardeners I hate trying to dig up carrots, potatoes, beets, when its pure muck. Theres just no way to clean them off sufficiently or easily. If it was a downpour I would throw them on the yard and let the water wash them off a bit. The amount of water required to clean all these is nuts and frozen water barrels already emptied, frozen water hoses all stored away, The constant drizzle is good for nothing. The potatoes are like bricks of mud. Digging you don't even see the potatoes. So ruin a lot of them trying to dig them up. Even after getting all that off they'll just immediately rot due to the inordinate moisture. Carrots and beets should do fine. I keep looking at a forecast with some sunny days ahead (This has been misreported for at least two weeks now) and supposed to get a few sunny days next week. Alas with shorter days probably not enough to dry anything off.

Got all the tomatoes in but some were touched with frost, had to be thrown out as even though they were covered the overnight lows were worse than forecast. Basically they were out as I was trying to achieve some ripening. Basically didn't get a lick of sun most days in September and any days in October.

This year won't be able to dig the garden this Fall, too mucky, lawn didn't get its proper raking or care. Water barrels hard to empty as they froze drains on a night with a much worse low than forecast.

All that complaining done its humidity we've needed for decades and I planted earlier this year and last than I ever have before and so the growing season seems to be earlier rather than shorter. Gardening shops should get that memo and be setup by April instead of May.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

I keep looking at a forecast with some sunny days ahead (This has been misreported for at least two weeks now) and supposed to get a few sunny days next week. Alas with shorter days probably not enough to dry anything off.

Basically didn't get a lick of sun most days in September and any days in October.
    Yeah, funny you should mention that.

Lately Top_Dawg has noticed that the prognosticators have been terribly wrong at predicting days when we will get sunshine.

Top_Dawg hopes we at least get some around Rememberance Day and Yankee Thanksgiving cause he booked some days off around those dates.

I've noticed that too Replacement, I check Environment Canada's Edmonton forecast almost every day... and for the longest time always in 3 or 4 days temps were going to go up and the sun was going to breakout. At 42 years, I know better than to believe anything they say after 2 days, especially during the shoulder seasons.

Weather forecasts all *summer* were a joke too. Better to use the ol just look outside technique. Least that way you know what to expect the next 1-2hrs...

Hey, maybe Environment Canada is just trying to cheer us up in these grey sky days. Imagine if the forecast for October was grey skies and rain for an entire month. Which begs the question of it being better to know than not to know. heh, I'm leaning that I prefer knowing.

I've noticed that too Replacement, I check Environment Canada's Edmonton forecast almost every day... and for the longest time always in 3 or 4 days temps were going to go up and the sun was going to breakout. At 42 years, I know better than to believe anything they say after 2 days, especially during the shoulder seasons.
    3 days is about the reliable resolution of EC's models, not much different than the NWS in the US. I've had the EC weather page auto-refreshing every hour on a screen for about 15 years (burned into some old CRTs), and from hour to hour the 3rd, 4th and 5th days can change as the models converge or diverge*. Unfortunately we do not get the behind-the-scenes discussions behind the synopses. The NWS provides them, and they are very informative and sometimes quite funny as an analyst tries to make sense of about 4 different models. I asked EC about them but apparently there's no demand for them outside their media channels.

Remember something else too: N% chance of anything is being spread over a growing city, and we are starting to see more and more that N% doesn't mean it'll happen in your area. For more specificity I use the radar plots. For a longer view I look outside Alberta at what's coming at us.

*While I was out for an hour getting groceries, Wednesday's high went from 11 to 9, for example.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345