Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Weather Thread

C2E SME

Huzzah, finally the mountains are getting some snow!

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    10-15 centimetres of snow this weekend, followed by a massive deep-freeze. Ugh.
    Come on, SDM, man up! Strap on them snowshoes and thrust forth into the blizzard! Oh, me first? Errr . . .
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    10-15 centimetres of snow this weekend, followed by a massive deep-freeze. Ugh.
    I think we'll get quite a workout shovelling snow!
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

OK it can stop now........The roads are becoming very tricky in my area....

Over 30cm at Marmot on Saturday morning. It was a very, very good day.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    I was in Fernie over the weekend. Nearly a meter of snow from Wednesday to Sunday morning. Also a very good weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    I was in Fernie over the weekend. Nearly a meter of snow from Wednesday to Sunday morning. Also a very good weekend!
    Awesome!

Sadly 30cm in one shot is almost as good as gets at Marmot.

Awesome!

Thems the breaks when your resort is located on the eastern slopes of the Rockies.....The ones on the BC side always get the much bigger dumps of snow.......

C2E SME

Awesome!

On the flip side, I would imagine all or at least most of Marmot was open. Fernie on the other hand had avalanche closures in place for three of their five main bowls (Curry, Lizard, and most of Cedar).

They're a wee bit paranoid ever since a couple people were hit by an avalanche well within bounds a few years back. The head wall above the resort can send some pretty massive avalanches well down in to the resort. I was taking a breather in Cedar waiting for some friends and heard some very, very loud rumbling over in Fish Bowl for about 10-20 seconds, so the closures were justified. Some of the cornices on the head wall were 30+ feet high and they were apparently having a hard time finding a heli so they could drop some bombs on them.

ENOUGH WITH THE SNOW ALREADY!!!!!! I'm running out of places to shovel it back from my walks and driveways.....It's almost as tall as the Canada Post box at the foot of my drive.

This is the most snow I've seen since moving to this house eight years ago.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

but it can be pretty...

"If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Yeah it has it's moments but enough with the snow (though yet more is forecast for tomorrow) I have one of those grey Canada Post boxes at the end of my driveway. The snowbanks are now so high it looks like a small grey door into another dimension.

I don't ever remember it raining in January.

C2E Long Term Contributor

^me neither... sidewalks were scary this am.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    I don't ever remember it raining in January.
    Not sure about January specifically but it has happened before.

The Jackrabbits in my area have not received the memo about winter not ending anytime soon, I noticed a couple of days ago their fur is begining to turn brown.

I noticed as of yesterday afternoon the ice the North Saskatchewan has pretty well broken up from Groat Road downwards.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

The forecast for Thursday is calling for 15-20cm of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    The forecast for Thursday is calling for 15-20cm of snow.
    According to the CTV forecast it will still reach 2 or 3 so it will be wet snow, It won't last also they COULD be wrong....

You're right... they could be wrong. It could be 30-40cm of snow. Oh well, as long as it melts within a day or two, the extra moisture will be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by darrellinyvr View Post
    I noticed as of yesterday afternoon the ice the North Saskatchewan has pretty well broken up from Groat Road downwards.

The big break is still a week away at least. The ice usually breaks slowly up to Quennell then the big flow hits about a week or two later. If you can catch that one its quite a site.

Ohhh, now they're saying 5-10cm of snow.

C2E Continued Contributor

Snow is something you'd expect from time to time even this late in the year - after all, this is Alberta!

But what I DON'T want is a repeat of of that big snowstorm in April 20-21 of '08, when the city actually had to get snow clearing equipment out and it didn't go above -9 for a couple of days.
    Is there hope for Edmonton? Yes!!! The Oilers? Wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by BalancedOP View Post

The big break is still a week away at least. The ice usually breaks slowly up to Quennell then the big flow hits about a week or two later. If you can catch that one its quite a site.
    Drove over the Quesnell this afternoon around 3 lots of water already both up and downstream from the bridge.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    You're right... they could be wrong. It could be 30-40cm of snow. Oh well, as long as it melts within a day or two, the extra moisture will be appreciated.
    Enough moisture already, the schoolyard across the way is pouring into the street with the rapid melt of the past two days or so....But yeah its Alberta it could snow at anytime and it is after all only mid April. But someone should tell the ants that its not time yet they are already out in the warm spots.

The University water outlets are right below Groat and tend to break things up there first.

My Balcony faces right on to the where this occurs^ East of this point, the river has been clear of ice for weeks. West of this point the ice is only starting to break up...

Most of Canada under heat wave...except Alberta and BC
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...s-central.html
    People hoping for relief are out of luck, according to Environment Canada's forecast for August.

Warmer-than-normal temperatures are predicted across the country for the dog days of summer and it's going to dry up out west, Environment Canada senior climatologist David Phillips said.

That comes as especially good news in Alberta and British Columbia, where cloud and rain have put a damper on summer so far.

Most of the West is in for drier-than-normal conditions through mid-August, Phillips said.

"If anyone deserves some good weather, it's British Columbia and Alberta. They've been clearly short-changed," he said. "We've reached the midway point and they haven't had any summer yet. They had a miserable winter and a miserable spring."
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I have a relative working in S.E. Saskatchewan and to day it was over 30 but with the P.o.P. it was between 35 - 40 degrees. Mean while back in Edmonton............................
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

p.o.p = probability of precipitation.

I think you mean with the higher humidity, it made it the humidex around 35-40. Which... is a little on the unbearable side.

20-25.. 30 with no humidity is pretty ideal. Anything hotter than that is just too hot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humidex

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humidity

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Probabi..._precipitation

^Thanks for the heads up meds. I was thinking P o P, as Point of Precipitation. Your gentlemanly approach on correcting my gaffe is a far cry from the way SOME people point out the error of someones ways. Usually it's a sarcastic slur, a snippy reply, a tangent or worse. Gawd forbid that they give you the right answer so you might learn something. I guess for some people it's easier to ream someone out.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

this morning timelapse of the storm

http://www.globaltvedmonton.com/vide..._zMlqNI34BgKzQ
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Loving the rain, we need every drop before the freeze.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

^ Didn't we get enough in June and July? Things finally dried out by the end of August.

All that rain has long since evaporated go have a looky at the areas where lawn meets sidewalk in any residential area
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

I haven't watered my garden since May and my tomatoes are in better shape than ever before at this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium48 View Post
    ^ Didn't we get enough in June and July? Things finally dried out by the end of August.
    We have a decade of drought to make up for. I heard a hydrologist say we needed three or four really wet years just to get farmer's fields back to how they were in the 90s.

Must be cold if BBC online has mentioned us on a weather clip on their weather segment. The only thing is I would like the temp they mentioned as opposed to the one we actually are enduring.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/feeds/16604383

Must be cold if BBC online has mentioned us on a weather clip on their weather segment. The only thing is I would like the temp they mentioned as opposed to the one we actually are enduring.
    Her temp was only two degrees off the thermometer temp. Our reports keep giving the temp with wind chill as if it was the actual air temperature.

Her temp was only two degrees off the thermometer temp. Our reports keep giving the temp with wind chill as if it was the actual air temperature.
    I lived in Scotland for 2 years they actually have no "real" idea what wind chill actually is. They just call it " continued blustery winds with snowy periods " or something as lame as that on TV.

When i first watched this clip the temp on my front door was -32c alot colder than her "coldest temp on Tuesday rating" for Edmonton. Even living in the UK British weather announcers tend to make it some less intensive no matter where they were predicting weather with odd terms that sound bizarre to us.

Instead of saying partly cloudy it is "Blue sky with white cloud" or "Blue sky" instead of "sunny" Quite funny when you listen to it getting ready for work it sounds like a tea party rather than the weather.

She was reporting the daytime high for the day not the low. The wording she used was "top temperature". She reported a "top temperature" of -26 for Tuesday where Environment Canada reported a high of -28 for the day.

She was reporting the daytime high for the day not the low. The wording she used was "top temperature". She reported a "top temperature" of -26 for Tuesday where Environment Canada reported a high of -28 for the day.
    Trust me I was working on the computer when the message I subscribed to came in from the BBC. I watched it and then checked the temp outside (because I had just finished shoveling the driveway as well) at the tume because it was my day off and at the time that I shoveled the drive was our top temp. -32 not including the wind chill she was "off" a few degree's

My original main point was "yes" it was cold enough that the BBC weather mentioned Edmonton as an example. Because if you watch the BBC as much as me they mention Vancouver, Winnipeg, Ottawa, and either Montreal or Quebec City on the North American maps not Edmonton.

We got a "mention" that is the main point.

In Guantanamo (Banned)

A week of normal cold in the middle of months and months of brownfields and drippy water does not make for a real winter, and the more we complain or even take notice of the cold, the whinier and more cowardly we come off.

I've acclimatized to it already. This morning felt reasonably normal.

I wasn't complaining about 5 days of cold weather it is winter after all. And a week of this is nothing. I just thought it was rather interesting that the BBC mentioned it (about Edmonton in general). As they mentioned nothing about the cold winter here last year. I have lots of relatives in the UK and a former partner and to all most of them (even those who know Canada well) from traveling and family ties Canadian climate is never mentioned on the "telly"

It was just a kick considering the web story was about Vancouver, Seattle, and Portland yet the weather clip was all about us.

Walking home today was downright balmy in some ways compared to Monday and Tuesday at least that is how I felt.

I just went out for a bike ride and I am loving this weather. Hopefully it sticks around awhile.

Was the Revillon building struck by lightning last night? There were bricks scattered on the street that were knocked off the top part of the building.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E SME

Wouldn't surprise me at all. I live across the street and there were at least 3 simultaneous thunder/lighting strikes around 11:15 last night. Had to change my bed sheets.

The fallen bricks were on the 103 Street side near the Subway entrance.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Cool photo gallery of last nights lightning on CTV:

http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/photo-gal...llery-1.925310

I think this pic from the CTV website shows the Revillon getting hit!

C2E SME

lol, you can see my patio. No wonder I wet the bed.

^^ Wow, I was walking out of the parkade just north of the Bay when that hit. It was like movie lightning and the crack was deafening. I swear to God you could smell a little electrical burning in the air right after. A fantastic sight and experience.

C2E SME

A picture of what it hit. Not sure if that was an intentional lightning rod, flag pole, antenna or what.

More on the lightning damage at Revillon at the end of this article:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/techn...638/story.html

Thursday’s thunderstorm came on the heels of another house-rattler on Tuesday.

Management at Edmonton’s historic Boardwalk building were grateful the streets were clear that night after lightning shattered a flagpole on the tower’s roof, knocking bricks and wood to the ground.

The Boardwalk, which houses Centre High, was struck by lightning at around 11 p.m. Tuesday, causing the power to go out for a few minutes. A wooden flagpole at the top of the four-storey building was split in half and a dozen bricks tumbled down, landing in front of The Warehouse nightclub on 103rd Street.

“Luckily it was at night. Nobody was around, nobody got hit,” said Blair Sorensen, building operator for NewWest Enterprise Property Group, which runs the Boardwalk.

Some heating and cooling equipment was also fried, he said.

Hoarding has been put up in front of the building in case more bricks fall off and repairs are expected to be complete within the next few days.

C2E SME

Heh, maybe no one got hit, but there were definitely people around. There was one couple sheltering in an alcove on the South side of the building right beside the main entrance to Centre High, for example. And I saw more than a few people sprinting down 102 avenue during the storm as well.

lol, you can see my patio. No wonder I wet the bed.
    haha, Marcel in the running for quote of the year.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Just got back from vacation and the rhubarb was destroyed but somehow my six tomato plants are fine. I'm guessing the hail came in at an angle at my place and the fence may have sheltered the tomatoes a bit. I have friends who have tomatoes where hail stones went in one side and out the other.

Any bets on when we'll get our first snowfall? I'm going to say October 13.

Brrr!

Snowing tonight at Pigeon Lake. Hang on to your betting money.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Heatwave coming! Temperatures in the high 20s/low 30s, with lows in the high teens (and even 21) forecast through at least through Thursday. If that's a mite bit warm for some, may I suggest Grise Fiord, Nunavut, for the long weekend. Highs of 0, +2 and +1 with chance of flurries all 3 days. Might hit a scorching +5 for Wednesday.

Looks like a small intense cell is ready to hit Edmonton. Hope there's just minor street flooding if it does come down hard.

It just finished here by WEM. We had small hail and big rain drops, but not hard or fast enough to cause any type of flooding.

Apparently huge hail in Oliver but just some pea sized stuff in Westmount.

I feel sorry for ft sask right now the cell just exploded into dark purples on the radar.

Interesting that while the moisture was coming from the southwest, there was a thin line coming from the northwest. Boundary of the wind shift, I imagine. It hit Edmonton the same time the rain hit and I could see it first raining and then blustery from the U. of A. falcon cam. Hasn't hit Red Deer yet. 27 degrees is a bit warm for me.

I was watching the live cams at CYEG and you could see this giant wall of water and hail cover the whole airport. Then 5 mins or so later you saw a rainbow it was nuts.

Also the storm is not tracking towards red deer at all it started out near drayton valley after the cell hit the city it exploded into a massive purple cell heading towards Ft sask according to the radar.
    Last edited by Magnoblade; 10-07-2013 at 10:41 PM.

^I marked the direction of the storm, which was moving to the northeast. If you look at the base of the arrows pointing to the southeast, you'll see a thin light blue line. As time went by, the thin line kept moving to southeast while the storm kept moving to the northeast.

That thin line would be the cold front passing through. There may have been a bit of moisture that went with it but it would've been light and short lived.

I beleave that is just an anomaly on the radar itself but its hard to say, as all the storms have been tracking north east if you press play on that you will be able to see the track and see if that line comes and goes.

Go back and play the 3 hour loop and watch that line. What caused it was the humidity (or maybe dust) showing up on radar as a bunch of clutter. As the cold front passed through, the clutter was being pushed away by drier, cooler air.

Hmmm very odd its fully gone now so it must have been the humidity.

Snagged from Twitter:

- aliciaMholz Aliciaholz 10h
    @1049VirginYEG @HOT107Edmonton @917thebounce cool shot right over the #yeg International airport from the plane pic.twitter.com/OIFq7dzLHq

C2E SME

Apparently huge hail in Oliver but just some pea sized stuff in Westmount.
    It was mostly pea sized in the CBD, but some of them were upwards of grape sized.

Picked these up in the back yard in Parkdale after the hail storm last night

Parkdale

Snagged from Twitter:

- aliciaMholz Aliciaholz 10h
    @1049VirginYEG @HOT107Edmonton @917thebounce cool shot right over the #yeg International airport from the plane pic.twitter.com/OIFq7dzLHq
    That is one neat photo
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Some record lows set this morning:

........................New..........old.......... record..records
    Location...........record.......record.....year... ..began
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Cold Lake 5.0 5.2 1977 1953
    Edmonton intl 0.2 2 1977 1961
    Jasper warden -1.1 1.6 2010 1916
    Peace River arpt 2.7 4.4 1965 1944
    Edson -0.5 0 1977 1916

These temperatures have not been quality controlled and are
    considered unofficial.

http://weather.gc.ca/warnings/SWS_bu...e.html?prov=ab

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post
    Picked these up in the back yard in Parkdale after the hail storm last night

Holy crap.
    Last edited by azzey; 14-07-2013 at 10:05 AM.

AWCN16 CWWG 151951
    Summary weather statement issued by Environment Canada at 1:51 PM MDT
    Monday 15 July 2013.

Summary of severe weather events and forecasts from 7.00 AM MDT
    Monday to 3.00 PM MDT Monday.

A band of precipitation set up over the Capital region this
    Morning and drenched the area with significant rainfall. The
    Heaviest rain fell between 8:30 AM and 1:30 PM before it tapered
    Off.

Here are some unofficial rainfall totals:

Location rainfall amount
    --------------------------------------------------
    Edmonton Municipal Airport 23.0 mm
    Southeast of downtown core 41.9 mm
    Eastern Sherwood Park 72.4 mm
    Northeastern Sherwood Park 57.9 mm
    East of Ardrossan 39.4 mm
    Edmonton International Airport 25.0 mm
    East of Spruce Grove 47.2 mm

End

AWCN15 CWWG 170214
    Summary weather statement issued by Environment Canada at 8:14 PM
    MDT Tuesday 16 July 2013.

Summary of record temperatures from 6.00 PM MDT Monday to 6.00 PM
    MDT Tuesday.

Discussion
    A cool airmass and clear skies allowed some areas in Alberta to
    Reach new record low temperatures Tuesday morning.

.................New......old..........record...re cords
    Location...record...record.....year......began
    Jasper warden -0.5 1.7 1922 1916
    Medicine Hat Airport 5.9 6.1 1887 1884
    Rocky Mountain House -0.1 0.6 1939 1917

The following locations obtained near record temperatures.

.............................Min......current..rec ord..records
    Location................temp...record....year..... began
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Brooks 3.9 3 1982 1912
    Edmonton intl airport 4.0 3.3 1968 1961
    High Level Airport 1.2 0.1 1998 1967

These temperatures records have not been quality controlled
    And are unofficial.

End

Time lapse video of yesterday's storm that went through Lethbridge.

^ there are better ones...

I especially like the sidways rain.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

"Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

There was no tornado.

^Whiteout in July. That storm was small and isolated but the radar showed purple. Not surprised about the deluge. I'd hate to have been out on the road when that passed by.

Default Sharknado watch for Edmonton

South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

Default Edmonton weather

Last summer- Wet and cool
    Last fall - Early snow
    Last winter - Endless
    This spring - Wet and cold
    This summer......see 1st post.
    Edmonton is beautiful.It's weather absolutely sucks the big one.
    RANT off.....
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

Just spent the weekend in Vancouver and they have sun and no rain for a month.

It was beautiful there.

Landed back in Edmonton and it is the same crappy weather

Unhappy

This year really has been maybe one of the coolest summers I can recall in a long time...

I think we have had a total of 3 days over 30c...

And tonight, feels more like a cool October evening than a July night.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Just spent this past weekend in Calgary. Their weather was dismal too. Felt like late September/early October. Would love to move to Victoria if only I could both find work and a place to buy that I could afford.

Quote Originally Posted by chupa View Post
    This year really has been maybe one of the coolest summers I can recall in a long time...

I think we have had a total of 3 days over 30c...

And tonight, feels more like a cool October evening than a July night.
    I was in the garage cutting and painting baseboards with the garage door open and this was the exact thought that was running through my head. It felt like Halloween was only a couple weeks away. Hopefully August picks up.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
    Just spent the weekend in Vancouver and they have sun and no rain for a month.

It was beautiful there.

Landed back in Edmonton and it is the same crappy weather
    You do realize that prior to that they had some of the wettest spring/early summer to date. It has been miserable there too.

Aug will shape up.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by cnr67
    Is everyone forgetting that May this year was one of the driest and warmest on record? No disagreement that June was awful, and July hasn't been much better.

The last 12 months have been pretty much extended periods of total crap interspersed with fleeting moments of brilliance.

I believe the Chinese call it water torture.
    ... gobsmacked

It sux
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

My wife complains about the weather every single day. It's driving me crazier than the poor weather.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Quote Originally Posted by cnr67 View Post
    Last summer- Wet and cool
    Last fall - Early snow
    Last winter - Endless
    This summer......see 1st post.
    Edmonton is beautiful.It's weather absolutely sucks the big one.
    RANT off.....
    But a month ago we were all complaining about the +40C day with the humidex.

That's what I love about Edmonton, the temperature can swing from -30 to +30 depending on the time of year.

C2E SME

Also, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but about 10 minutes West of Edson last Saturday morning I saw a couple piles of snow in the ditch. It didn't look to be hail, either. I would imagine it was gone not long after, but I was pretty surprised to see it in the first place. There wasn't a lot, a couple spots that were maybe a foot wide by six to ten feet long by a couple inches deep. It was only about 8C that morning, according to my car.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast