Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edmonton's City Market |104th St | Sat from 9-3

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Default Edmonton's City Market |104th St | Sat from 9-3

The City Market (104 street north of jasper avenue) on 104th appears to be opening May 16th this year.

The website also seems to have gotten a big makeover so I'd definitely check it out (http://www.city-market.ca/index.html).

I think it'll be interesting this year, I heard last year the opening day was the busiest it's ever been, hopefully we'll top that. I'm sure they'll have lots of great vendors.

What's the purpose of this thread? To inform other members about it, post your thoughts on it, whether you go to it, and if you have a small amount of pictures on it (over 5 then please use Images of edmonton).

Thankyou!

EE.
    ----

Partially Addicted to C2E

The Edmonton Downtown market was listed as #3 on the top 10 markets in Canada by Canadian Geographic!!!

http://www.canadiangeographic.ca/tra...09/tenbest.asp

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    The Edmonton Downtown market was listed as #3 on the top 10 markets in Canada by Canadian Geographic!!!

http://www.canadiangeographic.ca/tra...09/tenbest.asp
    I like the downtown market, but Canadian Geographic is way off on this one. It's not one of the top 3 in the greater Edmonton area. Old Strathcona, St Albert, and Sherwood Park are all bigger and better. There may be more, but I've worked at all three, and know them.

Still, nice to get mentioned, and thanks for bringing it to our attention.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 12-05-2009 at 09:31 PM.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

none of them have the charm of the DT one i find... My opinion

^I don't know - the Old Strathcona one is PRETTY good. but 104st one is awesome too!
    ----

I know you have a downtown bias, and so do I, but come on now. I know it's not that serious a matter, but let's be honest, here.

Have you spent much time at any of these other markets? I've worked them (and the "old" downtown market on 97st, but not much in Old Strathcona). They've been going strong for many years, and have had the time to establish numerous long-term relationships between vendors and the community.

Each has developed a feel and personality over time, reflecting their community. I can still close my eyes and picture many of the vendors and patrons. Downtown is working toward that, but it's not there yet. When you see people year after year, and see the children grow up to become shoppers themselves, it's a much different feel. In fact one big difference is in the number of families that come, for obvious reasons.

It's not a criticism of the DT market to say it has a way to go to catch up. All are wonderful additions to their local community. I'm just being honest in saying the article has it wrong. Not really even close in my view, as far as charm goes, but we're getting there.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

C2E Long Term Contributor

^i would concur with Jimbo to a degree... downtown's is still growing its base and regulars.

I tend to go to old strathcona in the shoulder seasons and DT may - sept

... just glad it is back! Can't wait.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

104 is a little different venue in that it is a "virtual market", maybe better described as a marketplace. There is no physical structure as such to become attached to in this case.
    Still love it though!

^which is great however it would be so nice to have a permanent, with summer exterior section, market downtown a la St.Lawrence in tdizzle.
    www.decl.org

I have been to all except St Alberts.

There is something about being sandwiched amongst all the brick buildings, as well as, having the cool shops right along 104 st.

It's just a vibe, and it reminds me of the Hell's Kitchen weekend market in New York.

My Opinion is all emotion based and not factual. Which is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    (...) When you see people year after year, and see the children grow up to become shoppers themselves, it's a much different feel. In fact one big difference is in the number of families that come, for obvious reasons.

It's not a criticism of the DT market to say it has a way to go to catch up. All are wonderful additions to their local community. I'm just being honest in saying the article has it wrong. Not really even close in my view, as far as charm goes, but we're getting there.
    Just a side not (not disagreeing or agreeing) ... there have been a tremendous amount of little children, moms and strollers, and small families in the downtown core over the past few years, even on a Saturday Night (not 9pm, for say, but they leave around 8pm) and it's great to see the diversity among the moms in strollers going for an evening walk, 20 year olds heading to the bar, old guys just glancing around jasper and seeing how much it's changed, and 30 year olds checking out the latest restaurant. All works for me - and hey it is diversity.
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post

haha.... yup

rocket science i tells yah.

Personally i would like the city to buy the land and create a trust of some kind for this.
    www.decl.org

looks like they need some volunteers.... GET OUT THERE

Market news
    Check this page regularly for updated news and information about the City Market Downtown on 104th. Remember, the 2009 Market Season starts Saturday, May 16th.

Come work for the Market

The Market is looking for motivated, energetic people to fill the following positions for the 2009 season. Click on the links below to learn more about these exciting opportunities, and apply today.

City Market Site Manager
    City Market Administration Manager
    City Market Site Coordinator (two positions)
    City Market Tent Assistant (two positions)

Reasons to shop local

Food grown locally tastes better.
    Local food does not travel from far away. So, the produce is crisp and the meat is fresh and the baked goods are loaded with flavour!
    You help support local businesses and families. The money farmers and other vendors make goes directly to them.
    Buying local food and products builds community. You’ll get to meet & build a relationship with the people who make, bake and grow your food and create the products that enhance your home and life.
    www.decl.org

A public market right in the middle of the quarters would be cool

2009 Vendors
    -----------------------

Our vendors
    Meet our vendors for the season. If you’re interested in becoming a City Market vendor, click here to learn more.

Ali's Wheat Free Cuisines
    Amberlane
    Ash Shumba
    Aurora Borealis Fireflies
    Axis Café
    Baby Wisp
    Bejewelled
    Belua Designs
    BGP Publishing/Citrus Foods
    Bohdan's Ukranian Food
    Cady Bakeshoppe
    Cat Factory
    Carnival Cravings
    Charms Designs
    Coal Lake Honey
    Cookies & Catering
    Dawn's Essentials
    Day & Night Designs
    Dean Enterprises
    Decadence Bakery
    Doef/Gull Valley Vegetables
    Earthly Delight Soup
    Earth's Revolution
    Edgar Farms
    enSante Winery
    Ethereal Therapy
    Ferry Bank Colony
    Fili Stix
    Fruition Jewelery
    Dip Sea Chicks
    Green Valley Farm
    Green Eggs & Ham
    Handmade on Venus
    Hansel & Gretel Berry Farm
    Happy Camel
    HomeStyle Beverages
    Inspired Market Gardens
    Irving Farm Fresh Meats
    Jam & Twee & Jackson Hinton
    Jan Butler
    Janet Pearce
    Janie's Jewellery
    Jewels by Amy
    Kelsey Coursaux
    Kuhlmann’s Market Gardens & Greenhouses
    Larry Ofstedahl
    Larry's Birdhouses
    Little Jimmy's Italian Ice
    Lola Canola Honey
    Medicine Man Bison
    Marie's Silk Embroidery
    Majesty Inc.
    Marco Mogollon
    Mighty Trio Organics
    Mitchell Sales - Taber Corn
    Mixes "R" Us
    Mombot
    Montreal Style Bagels
    Munro Jewelery Design
    Myearing.com
    Newget Kompany
    Ocean Odyssey
    Orange Chick Designs
    Original Canadian
    Original Fare Enterprises
    Otto’s Market Gardening
    Pasta by Caterina
    Paw Kompany
    Photos by Fosty
    Prairie Mill Bread
    Queen of Tarts
    Rawtopia
    Riverbend Gardens
    Robert Lea Essentials
    Rose Ridge Land
    Salgado Fenwick
    Sandy's Stuff
    Scraps & Stone
    South Cooking Lake Hutterite Colony
    Sparrow’s Nest Organics
    Spring Harvest Farm
    S. Steffes
    Stenberg Photography
    Steve & Dan's Fresh BC Fruit
    Sugar Soul Studio
    Sundog Organic Farm
    Taber Corn
    The Berry Farm
    The Soap Manufactory
    The Spice Girl
    Through My Eyes
    Urban Forest Design Studio
    Village Ties
    Walden West Foods
    Whimsical Cake Studio Inc.
    www.decl.org

I like the downtown market, but Canadian Geographic is way off on this one. It's not one of the top 3 in the greater Edmonton area. Old Strathcona, St Albert, and Sherwood Park are all bigger and better. There may be more, but I've worked at all three, and know them.

Still, nice to get mentioned, and thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Old Strathcona mkt is awesome. St. Albert is also great. I'd drive to either one (and we do). I go to the Sherwood Park one just because we live there but it's not worth going out of your way for. We've been to the DT one and wouldn't go again given the option of Old Strathcona.

I may be mistaken, but that vendor list is way bigger this season.

I'm still betting for my needs, taking the streetcar to the Strathcona market is best. The street car opens this Friday by the way.

I have yet to see fresh pasta, kim chee or fresh herbs at the 104th street market. Last time I went, I could still get a better deal from Scona for my weekly veggies. I will certainly have to visit 104th again, probably after I get back downtown this coming Saturday!

Although a bit greasy, I enjoy having a chorizo filled pita from the Mexican food vendor there. That's been my favourite treat the weekends I walk down that way.

3rd in the country??? That's simply insane from my perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    I have been to all except St Alberts.

There is something about being sandwiched amongst all the brick buildings, as well as, having the cool shops right along 104 st.

It's just a vibe, and it reminds me of the Hell's Kitchen weekend market in New York.

My Opinion is all emotion based and not factual. Which is ok.
    I understand, and it is ok. I don't really take issue with you on this, just the original story, which shows a remarkable lack of research and diligence on the part of the writers. Could it be a PR thing?

And there is something charming about the 104st market because it's so new, and just being discovered by many people. It's not as much about meeting old friends, as it is making new ones. I'm looking forward to seeing some friends there when it opens up.

Please don't snow.

And IanO, I don't think those are volunteer positions at the Farmers Market. I think they are paid. They are at all of the other markets.

Don't get me wrong... I do like the Old Strathcona and St. Albert Markets... I do go to the Strathcona Market over the winter and love the fact that it operates year round. While St. Albert is the largest outdoor market in Western Canada, I find it very overcrowded (while not a bad thing necessarily) and not set up well for the volume. The downtown market is my favorite! It's one of the oldest, if not the oldest market in the Edmonton Area and has an entirely different feel than the other two. The backdrop amongst the historical buildings in the heart of downtown just adds to the vibe. All the markets are fabulous, if someone had never visited out city and just randomly checked out all four markets in the area, it would be interesting to get their perspective and opinion as to which one they deem as being the "best'. Maybe the writer of this article did just that? Would be interested to see if she(?) did have a chance to check out the other three....

And there is something charming about the 104st market because it's so new, and just being discovered by many people.
    But it's not new. Jesse mentioned it already, but the downtown market is Edmonton's first. The original site was where the Milner library now is, and I remember my mom taking me to the 97th Street location when I was a kid. Did you know there's even a book about the market?

Several years ago, I "rediscovered" the City Centre market, still in the 97th Street location. It was run-down, with only a handful of vendors, but I became a regular. I know many of the vendors by name, and am excited to see them doing well at the 104th Street location. I'm not going to give my secrets away, but a couple of them will even let me know when they have something special that they only sell to regulars.

Bigger is not necessarily better. I've been to the St. Albert and Old Strathcona markets many times, but find them overcrowded. Because they are so busy, I often don't have the opportunity to talk to vendors. They are both excellent markets, but I prefer the atmosphere of the downtown one.

We can guess why the writer picked the City Centre Market over the others, but in my heart, I know why.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ View Post
    I have yet to see fresh pasta, kim chee or fresh herbs at the 104th street market.
    Don't know about kim chee, but you could get the other two there last year throughout the market's season. The pasta vendor was near the north end of the market, facing west. A couple of vendors in different locations had fresh herbs, one was at the northeast corner, IIRC.

i like the poutine kit vendor
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bear View Post
    Don't know about kim chee, but you could get the other two there last year throughout the market's season. The pasta vendor was near the north end of the market, facing west. A couple of vendors in different locations had fresh herbs, one was at the northeast corner, IIRC.
    There actually was a booth last year selling Kim Chee! If I remember correctly, he was located just north of 102nd, West side.

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    There actually was a booth last year selling Kim Chee! If I remember correctly, he was located just north of 102nd, West side.
    Nice to both of the corrections. I think I visited the downtown market last year all of once with the intention to do similar shopping as Strathcona. It did not work out. It sounds like everything I shop for is downtown now too. I look forward to heading down there and re-evaluate prices and selections.

^prices are so interesting... and amazing actually with some items.

pound of raspberries are $5

sobeys a pound is 8.99
    www.decl.org

Just a comment - I know or have come to know many of the vendors at the downtown market, many of which sell at other markets as well or selling at other markets during the winter, such as Old Strathcona. Almost all have told me they do the biggest sales downtown. If you think about the market only being on 104 Street for a few years, that really tells you something about that market. No other market I have been to have the quality and diversity of vendors I've seen downtown.

I shop at others in the winter, but there's nothing like an open-air farmer's market in the heart of your downtown during the summer!
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bear View Post
    Bigger is not necessarily better. I've been to the St. Albert and Old Strathcona markets many times, but find them overcrowded. Because they are so busy, I often don't have the opportunity to talk to vendors. They are both excellent markets, but I prefer the atmosphere of the downtown one.

We can guess why the writer picked the City Centre Market over the others, but in my heart, I know why.
    I agree
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    Just a comment - I know or have come to know many of the vendors at the downtown market, many of which sell at other markets as well or selling at other markets during the winter, such as Old Strathcona. Almost all have told me they do the biggest sales downtown. If you think about the market only being on 104 Street for a few years, that really tells you something about that market. No other market I have been to have the quality and diversity of vendors I've seen downtown.

I shop at others in the winter, but there's nothing like an open-air farmer's market in the heart of your downtown during the summer!
    interesting to know... and it should only grow for far too many downtown residents i know still do not know it exists.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    interesting to know... and it should only grow
    Especially with the Icon buildings right there.

^and more word of mouth along with more people coming from outside of the downtown to check it out.

My mom enjoys coming to it and then going to Sobeys for oysters
    www.decl.org

^and more word of mouth along with more people coming from outside of the downtown to check it out.

My mom enjoys coming to it and then going to Sobeys for oysters
    I've done that myself. Along with dropping into deVine Wines. They usually have a few bottles open for a free taste on market days.

Will be great with the new ICON retail moving in. Will add more vibrancy. I can see this thing being crazy busy on Saturday.

But Axis café as a vendor, aren't they just kittie corner to the sobeys - why would they be a vendor there? Maybe get more customers. Anyhow that list of vendors looks strikingly large!

Hope this is a success!
    ----

interesting to know... and it should only grow for far too many downtown residents i know still do not know it exists.
    I had no idea it existed until it moved out to 104 St. It used to be located in that building across from Canada Place and I don't recall it getting the attention it's getting now. Understandably, it wasn't in a desirable area at the time.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Farmers' market opens for the season

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Edmonton's City Market Downtown opened for the season Saturday morning — as it has done every spring since 1903.

Richard Wong, who speaks for the farmers' market, said the focus on local fare is a draw for both sellers and buyers.

"People like fresh food, they like to certainly cook with fresh food and fresh ingredients, and so these farmers are really excited to get their wares to the market," Wong said.

As usual, organizers were expecting a big draw for the opening day.

"We're expecting a couple of thousand people to come," Wong said. "We have some stilt-walkers, we have some jugglers and we have some people who will be doing some face painting, as well as some balloon-making.

"There'll be some musicians, some buskers on the street. So there'll be a lot of energy, a lot of excitement."

The opening of the market, at 102 Avenue and 104 Street, also means 104 Street will be closed in the downtown core.

The market is open Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. until Oct. 10, rain or shine.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/st...t-opening.html

^was there around noon today and was very impressed with the turnout. I also love how they adopted one of my (and i am sure others) ideas about closing 102ave from alley to alley. Huge opportunities there for a grand patio.

nothing like fresh cheap veggies
    www.decl.org

^was there around noon today and was very impressed with the turnout. I also love how they adopted one of my (and i am sure others) ideas about closing 102ave from alley to alley. Huge opportunities there for a grand patio.
    Not quite a "grand patio" but they did put out some tables on 102 Ave.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

It was nice NOT to have traffic goign through there..

Yes I agree that was a big improvement over last year. Nice place to chill. I took some pics and will upload them later perhaps.

It was quite busy and had a large selection. I really loved the music players and jugglers, really added to the scene.
    ----

Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 19-05-2009 at 10:22 AM.

Most of those arn't even on my blog yet.. you guys get sneak peeks

I love the reflections in the cupcake shot!
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 19-05-2009 at 10:35 AM.

Nice to see more vendors this year and I can now do all my shopping downtown if I choose to.

But really, why are veggies more expensive downtown than Strathcona? I'll stick to the better deal I get at Scona for my weekly fresh produce. Must the downtown market figures they're catering to the Sobey's and deVine shoppers of the city and can jack their prices.

I am sure that the vendor is charging what they need to charge in order to be sustainable. I would be careful about making asumptions about Sobey's, clients, etc.

Nice to see more vendors this year and I can now do all my shopping downtown if I choose to.

But really, why are veggies more expensive downtown than Strathcona? I'll stick to the better deal I get at Scona for my weekly fresh produce. Must the downtown market figures they're catering to the Sobey's and deVine shoppers of the city and can jack their prices.
    they might be more than strathcona but are a bargain a lot of the time when compared to many grocery stores.
    www.decl.org

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

i'm not sure that "all veggies" are more expensive downtown any more than "all veggies" are the same. even at the markets some if not most of the off-season produce is imported and anyone in that business knows that "new" and "not quite as new" don't sell for the same price (perishable prices will fall the longer they have been in inventory at the wholesalers). and even with local produce there i would think there is a difference between green-house grown and field grown etc. or between "certified organic" and farm grown. for what was "on offer", we didn't think the pricing was out of line at all, particularly given the wonderful growing weather we have been having lately...
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

I certainly didn't do a study on all veggies and am merely stating my observations. I'll leave an exhaustive price study to someone with way more time on their hands than myself. I did a price check for myself and decided to share. By no means is what I did anything more than looking out for my own pocketbook and sharing these results with the community here.

The 4 veggies (tomato, cucumber, peppers, onions) I price-checked proved to be cheaper at Scona's vendors. If I recall the right vendor name, Riverbend Gardens was a vendor that had a presence at both markets, with slightly higher prices downtown. It struck me very odd.

Pricing differences were non-existent on fresh herbs or fresh pasta.

For the record, my cucumbers, tomato and peppers were grown locally in a Lacombe greenhouse. Knowing this vendor over the years, I can tell you they are in summer pricing mode versus the more expensive winter mode. Certainly that's a factor too!

The vendor list for the Downtown Edmonton Farmers Market is not accurate. There are vendors missing.

For those on the south side, Millwoods has a wonderful market on Thursday evenings from 5:00 p.m. until 8:00 p.m. in the parking lot of the Millwoods Recreation Centre. It is a very good market with excellent quality of products from all the vendors.

price may be tied to stall and staffing costs or the vendor "just finding the market"
    I don't begrudge having to pay a little more or less for that matter due to the convenience factor.
    We have always found the St Albert mkt way more expensive ~ Urban Yuppy factor?

Addicted to C2E

My compliments to the staff at the main booth.

There was a creep with a lit cigarette (terrible markettiquette) watching a few of the tents. Whenever someone received change for a purchase, he'd go begging, taking advantage of the fact the person had an open purse/wallet and hands full. It was quite intimidating for some of the old folks.

I reported the concern and immediately a team was dispatched to give the guy the boot.

Where is a good place to park, preferably free, for this market?

I went to Ocean Odyssey last weekend in the west end to be greeted with a sign on their door saying they're selling on Saturday at the 104th St. market exclusively, so it looks like I'll be making the trip downtown this weekend to browse the market.

Thanks,

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

There is no free parking downtown during the market. You will have to find a meter or a parking lot to use... There are several lots downtown that offer $2 all day parking on weekends, so it's not as if it's unaffordable.

Or park at a park and ride and Take the LRT

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    Or park at a park and ride and Take the LRT
    Yep... that's another option. However, depending on how much you plan to purchase, it might be easier to just park downtown and pay the $2.

And sometimes, under specific circumstances, taking the LRT isn't beneficial or could be too out of the way, or etc. And buses can have crappy service, plus they never get the wow factor of LRt, etc. I'd never use a bus in New York unless I had to, but I might try the subway, cause buses have no wow factor, and I know this is off topic, but I think wow factor will really bring people to LRT. So sadly, many still choose to drive for convinience. Then people on here will laugh at them cause they can't find adequate parking for their SUV .... hehe ... .
    ----

Scotia Place was 2 bucks on the weekend. That was last year though.

I think the impark between 103 and 104 street on 102 ave is fairly reasonable on weekends

^THE ironwood site?
    ----

^yep!

there are things called 'meters' as well
    www.decl.org

I rode my bike there on Saturday to buy a few groceries. Man, was it busy!

I had a great time on Saturday too..

Less plants this year though, I am a little sad.

This is likely due to the fact that most plants have been planted already (or should have been)

ya.. I hade to rebuy a few things as, i planted a bit early this year.

C2E Posting Power

I wish they'd have more tables in the middle area. Seems like the number of tables has gone down every week so far.

C2E Continued Contributor

I purchased some duck fat there last Saturday! Duck Fat! LOL I thought the farmer that sold it to me scammed me until I googled and found out what an epicurean delight it is!

Bump of an old thread. Couldn't find any thread more current other than a photo thread.

Went to the 104st market again Saturday. Some observations.

Mid day it was brutally hot there. Couldn't find one vendor selling pop, water, refreshments. This is pretty much a must for a summer market that operates outdoors in mid day. With it being located on asphault that just reflects all the heat some people were literally getting sick. Saw an old lady that needed medical attention and a young lady sitting on the curb with her boyfriend who was feeling dizzy from the hot sun. Theres literally no shade at this site and when its busy like it was its hard to find any. Also next to no seats or benches available for people.

Farmers markets typically attract at least a proportion of older people. Should there not be more sitting space in a nice shaded area?

Have to say after an hour of roaming around there I was feeling the heat too and getting hungry and thirsty. The precious few vendors they had there were all way overpriced, not serving attractive selections, and all had long lineups. Just as a message to whoever might be running this market or associated with it but I ended up seeking food at the far superior options available at Churchill Square. Which had at least half a dozen food vendors of much better quality than that found at 104st market. Essentially I left a farmers market to go find something to eat. Oh irony.
    This to me is a type of failure. People go to a market for food. Whether it be take home or consumed on the spot.

Speaking of the take home variety must say I was very disappointed in the "Farmers" vendors at the market. Again this is an outdoor market. No provision for that whatsoever is made. In one vendor after another produce and including fruit FULLY exposed to the blazing hot sun. People unknowingly buying dried apricots and dried plums and cherries instead of what they intended. I asked one of the vendors why he had all his fruit out in full display of the sun. "Because its an attractive display that people want to see"..
    Excuse me? What I want to see when I'm forking over 8bucks for a small basket of fruit is that the "fresh fruit" is at least refrigerated and not beyond room temperature. Really anything at a Safeway transported cross continent on a refrigerated truck would be in better shape then the produce sold Saturday.

Not even places Like Kuhlmans were taking notice(and should know better)Their corn, going for 1dollar/cob(lol) displayed in the hot sun wilting. I don't care how fresh that corn is but having it out for hours with the sun beating down on it is just ruining it.

Not that you'd know without buying anything as none of the farmer vendors had any of their fruit available or labeled for sample(I've never seen this not occur in any other market) I had to ask for samples. After sampling unintended dried fruit I of course declined purchase.

Want quaility produce? Demand quality attention to detail and quality service and handling of the produce. This is just ridiculous disrespect of customers and clientele. People should expect more than this being the equivalent of a highway fruit stand.

Any of the suburban markets operating in evenings have less compromised fruits and vegetables then found in this downtown outdoor market at mid day. I walked around wondering if anybody else considered this. That this market on a hot day rules out the "fresh" in their produce.

Better food display standards need to be in place for this market. Given the location, and time of operation.
    Last edited by Replacement; 30-08-2011 at 12:04 AM.

^I agree that there should be more food/refreshment vendors. (where is Niche and Drift?) There's a truck that sells carnival snacks near the Jasper side that also sells fresh lemonade. I haven't tried it (not a fan of lemons hahah), but it seems popular. The Dish and Spoon on the 102nd ave intersection sells little bottles of juice for $1. On the sides of the markets, you can pop into the various cafes/restaurants for a beverage. Bubble Buzz probably has the most refreshing drinks (real fruit) and they are easy to carry around.

As for the sun, all the vendor stands have a roof or some sort, so i think they've done what they can to alleviate the sunlight issue. There's not much more they can do other than reduce their display which kind of defeats the purpose of the stand. Spraying water on the produce is actually counter-productive cause the water drops act as a lens in direct sunlight and would actually damage the produce even more. An idea they could try is to fully cover the market (for both rain and sun) instead of each stand having its own roof. Though I can see that being a contentious proposal.

Price, I agree is high, but I think it's just the market economics of the vendors they are promoting (smaller, local groups). Lineups are kind of inevitable in a busy market.

I hope someone from the market reads your feedback and considers it in any forthcoming changes to the market. I'm pretty sure they would be open to any suggestions that make the visit more enjoyable.

C2E Posting Power

Couldn't find one vendor selling pop, water, refreshments.
    Really not sure how you could miss them. Aside from the lemonade/mini-donut place bolo mentioned on the south end, the entire middle section (104St and 102Ave intersection) is food vendors (Fat Franks is a common stop for me, but there are several more) all of whom sell drinks as far as I know. And on the north end there's usually Eva Sweet, and in addition to their delicious waffles they also sell cans of pop.
    Blog: http://www.stormbrew.ca/ | Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/stormbrew

re: drinks & refreshments - did you miss the Sobeys brick'n'mortar store at the south end of 104th street?

Can't satisfy everyone I guess..

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement
    There are numerous vendors who sell the above, not to mention Sobey's, Bubble Buzz, Credo, and other stores/restaurants on the street. Easily 10-15 places you could have gotten a pop or water in the two block stretch. How you missed them is beyond me.

Also next to no seats or benches available for people.
    There's seating at Lit, Tzin, Credo, Blue Plate, and also a few permanent benches. However considering that the market likely has 3-5,000 people at it on a busy afternoon at any one time, it's impossible to provide adequate seating.

The rest of your post is what seems to make up most of your posts here: rampant negativity for the sake of it, often in complete opposition to objective reality (see "refreshments" above).

How you can miss almost tripping over the tables and chairs set up in the intersection at 102 ave and 104 is quite a feat in and of itself.

You know, the ones closest to two food vendors - who sell pop and water - and the market information tent.

Wow.

As for food left out in the sun, all I can say is, having worked with a number of festivals in this city, I can assure you that our health inspectors are professional and MOST thorough.
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
    re: drinks & refreshments - did you miss the Sobeys brick'n'mortar store at the south end of 104th street?

Can't satisfy everyone I guess..
    Maybe with the new vinyl on Sobey's people think they only sell gigantic fruit
    www.decl.org

Oh my goodness, this rant has so many holes, it's silly. Have you gotten to know any of the vendors? Why do you feel so entitled to perfect service every time? These are real people doing real business. Depending on the time of day you choose to arrive (it sounds like later when it was hotter), the market is full of samples, full of farmer's ready and willing to talk to you about their products and any of your concerns. And full of food for eating and beverages. There is 6(!!!) coffee shops near the corner of 104 St and Jasper, not to mention a FULL grocery story. There are also benches all along 104 street, restaurants with patios, seating at 102 Avenue intersection (I know it was hot later, but that wasn't until the afternoon) and so on. Sorry to rant, but this is pickiness in the extreme! As a regular patron, I know 90% of vendors will fall over themselves to please customers. The criticism is unwarranted in my opinion. I'd love to take you on a tour. There's even a full information booth with 'veggie valet' service in the middle of the market!
    www.decl.org

Reading comprehension seems to be a problem for some here.

I clearly indicated that all the food vendors(who had available refreshments) had very long lines. All are located in the hotsun(requiring you to line up in the hotsun) as are all the tables set up in the "foodcourt" area of the farmers market if you could call it that. Again where is the seating located in the shade anywhere? Also where would the shade be considering this is a market set up on a street, i.e. North-South for a midday market..

I did not detect one Refreshment only, easily accessed venue. Access to liquid refreshments is a a given at any outdoor event with most having the sensibility to realize it. Even Capital Ex has the foresight to realize that people requiring a liquid refreshment require it fairly immediately in the hotsun and make it readily available everywhere on the grounds.

The farmers market food vendors are poor quality. Some greasy breakfast establishment, a meat on a bun place, and Fat Franks. Big whoop. Worse fare than that found in any foodcourt anywhere in the city. Like I indicated Churchlll Square had several far better vendors at the same time.
    Last edited by Replacement; 30-08-2011 at 01:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bolo View Post
    ^I agree that there should be more food/refreshment vendors. (where is Niche and Drift?) There's a truck that sells carnival snacks near the Jasper side that also sells fresh lemonade. I haven't tried it (not a fan of lemons hahah), but it seems popular. The Dish and Spoon on the 102nd ave intersection sells little bottles of juice for $1. On the sides of the markets, you can pop into the various cafes/restaurants for a beverage. Bubble Buzz probably has the most refreshing drinks (real fruit) and they are easy to carry around.

As for the sun, all the vendor stands have a roof or some sort, so i think they've done what they can to alleviate the sunlight issue. There's not much more they can do other than reduce their display which kind of defeats the purpose of the stand. Spraying water on the produce is actually counter-productive cause the water drops act as a lens in direct sunlight and would actually damage the produce even more. An idea they could try is to fully cover the market (for both rain and sun) instead of each stand having its own roof. Though I can see that being a contentious proposal.

Price, I agree is high, but I think it's just the market economics of the vendors they are promoting (smaller, local groups). Lineups are kind of inevitable in a busy market.

I hope someone from the market reads your feedback and considers it in any forthcoming changes to the market. I'm pretty sure they would be open to any suggestions that make the visit more enjoyable.
    Thanks for a reasonable reply to the points raised.

The roofs do not effectively cover the produce from suns exposure. I already indicated the solution. Just don't have your entire wares exposed to the sun. Theres simply no reason for this. The product that is sold should be coming DIRECTLY out of the cooler and not from a simple fold up table that is only serving to bake the fruit in the hotsun. Theres no reason whatsoever to have all that fruit on full display as presumable people know what fruit looks like. The only fruit on the table should be for sampling and to indicate what is being sold.
    Last edited by Replacement; 30-08-2011 at 12:57 PM.

Oh my goodness, this rant has so many holes, it's silly. Have you gotten to know any of the vendors? Why do you feel so entitled to perfect service every time? These are real people doing real business. Depending on the time of day you choose to arrive (it sounds like later when it was hotter), the market is full of samples, full of farmer's ready and willing to talk to you about their products and any of your concerns. And full of food for eating and beverages. There is 6(!!!) coffee shops near the corner of 104 St and Jasper, not to mention a FULL grocery story. There are also benches all along 104 street, restaurants with patios, seating at 102 Avenue intersection (I know it was hot later, but that wasn't until the afternoon) and so on. Sorry to rant, but this is pickiness in the extreme! As a regular patron, I know 90% of vendors will fall over themselves to please customers. The criticism is unwarranted in my opinion. I'd love to take you on a tour. There's even a full information booth with 'veggie valet' service in the middle of the market!
    What I expect from fresh produce vendors is fresh unspoiled produce. Its not a complicated argument.
    Similarly if I go to a Sobeys and find Citrus fruit located unceremoniously on a non refrigerated display I don't buy it knowing full well what it does to the quality of the fruit.
    Its unfortunate that the farmers that likely grow, and bring quality fruit pay so little service to how their wares are exposed on day of sale. This is very unfortunate for the buyer.

Like I indicated as well any evening market in the burbs is less impacted then a market that operates mid day with no proper refrigeration infrastructure. This downtown 104st market lacks any basic infrastructure. An outdoor market is poorly concieved when its north south situated on an asphalt street, and operating mid day. A mid day market ideally requires there to be some shade and strategic, and better locations for produce vendors. This area has none.
    Last edited by Replacement; 30-08-2011 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    How you can miss almost tripping over the tables and chairs set up in the intersection at 102 ave and 104 is quite a feat in and of itself.

You know, the ones closest to two food vendors - who sell pop and water - and the market information tent.

Wow.

As for food left out in the sun, all I can say is, having worked with a number of festivals in this city, I can assure you that our health inspectors are professional and MOST thorough.
    Maybe you missed that people getting sick from the hotsun wouldn't be too comforted by a table positioned in the direct hot sun. Nor would many senior citizens. Way to completely miss that point.

As I mentioned the vendors were not readily available due to long lineups so no refreshments were readily available.

On a hotday a few vendors selling only refreshments or having bottled water available is a good idea. Who wants to wait in line 10mins to buy a refreshment?
    Last edited by Replacement; 30-08-2011 at 12:51 PM.

You know that hotsun and hotday aren't actual terms right?

Way to resurrect an old thread, too. Why not just create a new thread of your own rants than take a 2 year old general market thread?

Not many want to wait 10 minutes in a line at a vendor for a drink. But why you had to go all the way to Churchill Square is beyond me. You know there is Sobeys right there, too? And the bubble tea place, coffee shops within 1-3 blocks on Jasper Ave, and City Centre is closer than Churchill.
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by edmontonenthusiast View Post
    You know that hotsun and hotday aren't actual terms right?

Way to resurrect an old thread, too. Why not just create a new thread of your own rants than take a 2 year old general market thread?

Not many want to wait 10 minutes in a line at a vendor for a drink. But why you had to go all the way to Churchill Square is beyond me. You know there is Sobeys right there, too? And the bubble tea place, coffee shops within 1-3 blocks on Jasper Ave, and City Centre is closer than Churchill.
    If I created my own thread to rant on this I'd be raked over the coals here for not searching the topic first and exhuming a thread. The recoil of which happens every day on this board with chants of search, search, ringing in ears..

No win on this I guess.

As stated I was hungry and thirsty.

I wanted to go somewhere that I could get a reasonable meal and refreshement. Blue Diner was packed, as was anything else. Not sure what I'd want to eat at a coffee place. Or at a bubble place..(can't stand that stuff)

I ended up having a great meal at Churchill Square from one of the many far better vendors there.

Odd that they are located there and that relatively poor quality vendors are located at the farmers market. 10 times more people were at the farmers market and the vendors at Churchill had poor business. None of which makes much sense.
    Last edited by Replacement; 30-08-2011 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    The roofs do not effectively cover the produce from suns exposure. I already indicated the solution. Just don't have your entire wares exposed to the sun. Theres simply no reason for this. The product that is sold should be coming DIRECTLY out of the cooler and not from a simple fold up table that is only serving to bake the fruit in the hotsun. Theres no reason whatsoever to have all that fruit on full display as presumable people know what fruit looks like. The only fruit on the table should be for sampling and to indicate what is being sold.
    Actually, I think the intent of putting the fruit out is so that customers can pick which basket they want. People like to be able to choose. But I agree this might be less than ideal on a very sunny day. At the same time, I wouldn't colour my entire opinion based on the experience of a less than ideal day. Doing almost anything outside sucks when it's extremely hot and sunny, that's just the weather for you.

Definitely a good suggestion with the reduced display and coolers on extremely sunny days. Maybe they can work something out with Sobeys and temporarily store their stock with them (and only pull out what they can sell on a regular basis).

Quote Originally Posted by bolo View Post
    Actually, I think the intent of putting the fruit out is so that customers can pick which basket they want. People like to be able to choose. But I agree this might be less than ideal on a very sunny day. At the same time, I wouldn't colour my entire opinion based on the experience of a less than ideal day. Doing almost anything outside sucks when it's extremely hot and sunny, that's just the weather for you.

Definitely a good suggestion with the reduced display and coolers on extremely sunny days. Maybe they can work something out with Sobeys and temporarily store their stock with them (and only pull out what they can sell on a regular basis).
    I think you possibly nailed it with the bolded.

But I think in this case the vendor ought to know better how their produce is ideally displayed/sold/handled. This is really the basic failure of any highway fruit stand. That their produce is just obliterated by the hot sun.

If I'm anywhere in BC I don't stop at the vendors that have no proper infrastructure, awnings, refrigeration available. Even if I do I ask for the stuff thats still in the cooler. I'm surprised more people aren't familiar with how poor road side fruit usually is when exposed to hot sun. I think maybe people try to convince themselves that fresh means fresh regardless of how its sold.
    You can easily ruin even the best produce in hours which is unfortunate. I know I prefer market locations that are better suited.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    There are numerous vendors who sell the above, not to mention Sobey's, Bubble Buzz, Credo, and other stores/restaurants on the street. Easily 10-15 places you could have gotten a pop or water in the two block stretch. How you missed them is beyond me.

Also next to no seats or benches available for people.
    There's seating at Lit, Tzin, Credo, Blue Plate, and also a few permanent benches. However considering that the market likely has 3-5,000 people at it on a busy afternoon at any one time, it's impossible to provide adequate seating.

The rest of your post is what seems to make up most of your posts here: rampant negativity for the sake of it, often in complete opposition to objective reality (see "refreshments" above).
    I've responded to the rest of your reply in other posts. But I'm curious about the bolded. Is this not an attack on my posting here? It would seem simple for you to just choose to ignore my posts, or put me on ignore, if thats your deduction.

However, continuing to reply to my posts as regularly as you do,( if the bolded is your deduction) makes little sense and seems only to further some other agenda.

Disagree, fine, discredit? Thats on you.

A basic dictum of any messageboard is attack the post, and not the poster. The disagreement is fine. The latter commentary on what you think of me as a poster is unneeded and imo inappropriate.
    Last edited by Replacement; 30-08-2011 at 02:16 PM.

Here's a comment on your post, not you as a poster: stick to air-conditioned grocery stores. You'll be happier.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

When I was last at the market it was also a hot day. I managed. I was out there for about 3 hours. Was able to get a drink in a reasonable amount of time (from Queen of Tarts, where I also had a great sandwich and a salad) and found shade under the trees, and in the tents where I was shopping.

I've never had a spoiled piece of fruit as a result of it being on display at a farmers market, and I've been to many.

I want to agree with Dialog, and tell you to stay away from the market, but that's not a solution. Rather, I suggest a hat, and maybe some patience.

Quote Originally Posted by Dialog View Post
    Here's a comment on your post, not you as a poster: stick to air-conditioned grocery stores. You'll be happier.
    The produce will be happier. This is not a disputable point really. I can point anybody in the direction of recommended storage and display temperatures for produce.

Plus the grocery stores aren't gouging the consumer selling "fresh" produce that has been compromised.
    Last edited by Replacement; 30-08-2011 at 03:13 PM.

I've been happy with all produce I've boughten from the farmers market.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

28,000 people visited the market last weekend without any major problems or concerns. Vendors work hard to please customers and enjoy feedback, but apparently ranting on C2E is much easier.

Medicine Man Bison has juice and pop for a $1. 5-10 wait when 28,000 move through the market on a Saturday is not unreasonable. Sobey's has water, and so do every other vendors for reasonable price, not to mention all the other stores and cafes within a few blocks. To avoid lines, come at a less-busy time of day.

Again, most vendors will jump over themselves trying to please patrons, but I guess you didn't bother to talk to any of them. If you don't get a satisfactory answer, then don't come back. But in almost all cases I've been very happy with the selection, quality and diversity of local products at the market. It's what makes it one of the top ten in Canada. It's not a carnival.
    www.decl.org

^Which reminds me that I ran across a friend from Vancouver at the Fringe, who tells me that the 104 Street market was used for a case study of how to do a farmer's market right.

But then, all those root veggies out with the mad dogs and Englishmen in the noon-day sun.

Or, wait, in the shade under a tent.

But if you can't see tables and chairs, maybe the tents aren't so evident either.
    ... gobsmacked

^It was used as an model for both a Vancouver and Calgary downtown farmer's market.

It should be noted that the farmer's market is a way for local farmer's to sell their products, and connect urban folk to local food and other goods. It is not a carnival, nor are they there just for entertainment. Warm weather brings out 'farmer's market tourists' - it's great they're there, but don't usually buy anything, other than eat all the samples and expect to be entertained. Being entertained and having a good time with good weather is a bonus in my opinion. The farmer's and vendors have made this market the success that it is today.
    www.decl.org

28,000 people visited the market last weekend without any major problems or concerns. Vendors work hard to please customers and enjoy feedback, but apparently ranting on C2E is much easier.

Medicine Man Bison has juice and pop for a $1. 5-10 wait when 28,000 move through the market on a Saturday is not unreasonable. Sobey's has water, and so do every other vendors for reasonable price, not to mention all the other stores and cafes within a few blocks. To avoid lines, come at a less-busy time of day.

Again, most vendors will jump over themselves trying to please patrons, but I guess you didn't bother to talk to any of them. If you don't get a satisfactory answer, then don't come back. But in almost all cases I've been very happy with the selection, quality and diversity of local products at the market. It's what makes it one of the top ten in Canada. It's not a carnival.
    I won't be back anytime soon.

Which is why a rant on a public board was preferable to giving feedback to a specific downtown market that I seldom support.

I'll be more than happy continuing to deal with the infinitely superior Strathcona market or even the Millwoods farmers market for reasons given.

ps People in Vancouver of course go to Granville Island or Lonsdale Quay markets. I doubt either of those excellent facilities consult the 104st market on how to run their business.

104st Farmers Market is like a temporary tent village and hardly something worthy of being emulated.

ftr I prefer the former 97st market to this. Clearly I prefer the market being contained in an actual facility.
    Last edited by Replacement; 30-08-2011 at 03:54 PM.

C2E SME

I clearly indicated that all the food vendors(who had available refreshments) had very long lines.
    Completely and totally false. Go re-read your original post. You said quite literally that you couldn't find one vendor selling refreshments. No qualification about lines or them being too sunny (lol):

Mid day it was brutally hot there. Couldn't find one vendor selling pop, water, refreshments. This is pretty much a must for a summer market that operates outdoors in mid day
    Seems quite clear to me, actually, that you indeed claimed not "one" vendor was selling refreshments. Not that you clearly indicated that the ones that were selling refreshments were lined up.

However, continuing to reply to my posts as regularly as you do,( if the bolded is your deduction) makes little sense and seems only to further some other agenda.
    I don't recall responding to many of your other posts, with the exception of the discussion about pedestrian bridges. In that case you also posted statements of fact that were clearly and utterly wrong, I attempted to correct you, and you dug in your heels and tried to backtrack or shift the goalposts.

If you don't like being corrected, don't make statements that are false.

ftr I prefer the former 97st market to this. Clearly I prefer the market being contained in an actual facility.
    So that's really the nut of it, isn't it? You went to an outdoor market and didn't like it because it was outdoors.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 30-08-2011 at 04:13 PM.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

When I was young my parents owned several orchards and one of them was located at the foot of Munson's Mountain in Penticton (Has the Penticton sign on it). We operated a small fruit stand on Middle Bench Rd there and we had to pick our fruit several days before completely ripe because quite often it would take several days before you could get it into the local CoOp where most of our fruit was delivered. Anyways the fruit that was on display was usually the more recently picked fruit so that it could ripen while the fruit that we kept in the coolers was the fruit that had sat out for a few days. This fruit was normally the best to eat at the moment but would be very close to being overripe and this is what we used for ourselves to make our preserves etc. I think your'e outsmarting yourself Replacement.
    Last edited by Krokwalk; 30-08-2011 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post

I clearly indicated that all the food vendors(who had available refreshments) had very long lines.
    Completely and totally false. Go re-read your original post. You said quite literally that you couldn't find one vendor selling refreshments. No qualification about lines or them being too sunny (lol):

Mid day it was brutally hot there. Couldn't find one vendor selling pop, water, refreshments. This is pretty much a must for a summer market that operates outdoors in mid day
    Seems quite clear to me, actually, that you indeed claimed not "one" vendor was selling refreshments. Not that you clearly indicated that the ones that were selling refreshments were lined up.

I don't recall responding to many of your other posts, with the exception of the discussion about pedestrian bridges. In that case you also posted statements of fact that were clearly and utterly wrong, I attempted to correct you, and you dug in your heels and tried to backtrack or shift the goalposts.

If you don't like being corrected, don't make statements that are false.
    Perhaps I could have worded it better. This is the sentence:

"Couldn't find one vendor selling pop, water, refreshments." (Gramatically obvious I'm not writing an essay and that its a sentence fragment in any case.)

What I meant was exclusively. In retrospect I could see how its misleading but what do you think a vendor of pop, water, refreshments means?

That they sell hotdogs?

If I stated there were no icecream vendors there(but that others noted some vendors had icecream) would my statement be wrong or impossible to follow?

One more time:

ON a hot summer day liquid refreshments should be immediately available and well displayed where they are exclusively sold.

I shouldn't have to wait behind a long lineup of people getting food service(which takes time) to obtain something as simple as a bottle of water.

edit to edit:

I was wrong on the bridge thread. Pretty sure I acknowledged that.

If consensus means anything(and it does to me at least on this forum) then I'm "wrong" on this farmers market topic as well.

ftr I think the original source of our disagreement awhile ago was the Century Park development being mostly a boondoggle, which I think I still might be right on..

As far as my general demeanor on the board I'm positive about many things in Edmonton and particularly the river valley, ravines, and trails. I'm not particularly positive about downtown Edmonton nor do I think it often deserves me to be.
    Last edited by Replacement; 30-08-2011 at 04:51 PM.

^there is a water fountain in beaver hills.
    www.decl.org

Which is why a rant on a public board was preferable to giving feedback to a specific downtown market that I seldom support.

I'll be more than happy continuing to deal with the infinitely superior Strathcona market or even the Millwoods farmers market for reasons given.

ps People in Vancouver of course go to Granville Island or Lonsdale Quay markets. I doubt either of those excellent facilities consult the 104st market on how to run their business.

104st Farmers Market is like a temporary tent village and hardly something worthy of being emulated.

It's great that you support the other markets. Edmonton is so fortunate to have so many great markets in and around the city. Many of the SAME vendors that are at the City Market also sell at other markets at the city. So I would suggest talking to them about your concerns rather than continuing to rant.

Granville Island market is exactly what we DON'T want our downtown market to become. It is full or 'resellers' and wholesalers, and more often than not there is no longer a direct connection to the farmer. It's no different than purchasing your local food from a grocery store - there is a middleman that some people would like to avoid (if possible). What makes the City Market so special and successful is that is it VENDOR RUN, consisting majorily of first and secondary producers. Although Vancouverites have many options beyond markets there, Vancouver Planning Dept is bending over backwards to figure out how to emulate what we've achieved downtown.

Many people come to the City Market in the summer because it is outside. It is a strength, not a deterrent for most as you suggest. I personally love being outside at the market when it's summer. We get so little of it in Edmonton!
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Krokwalk View Post
    When I was young my parents owned several orchards and one of them was located at the foot of Munson's Mountain in Penticton (Has the Penticton sign on it). We operated a small fruit stand on Middle Bench Rd there and we had to pick our fruit several days before completely ripe because quite often it would take several days before you could get it into the local CoOp where most of our fruit was delivered. Anyways the fruit that was on display was usually the more recently picked fruit so that it could ripen while the fruit that we kept in the coolers was the fruit that had sat out for a few days. This fruit was normally the best to eat at the moment but would be very close to being overripe and this is what we used for ourselves to make our preserves etc. I think your'e outsmarrting yourself Replacement.
    Could be. I'll take your word for it because you have knowledge of the business.

The fruit I sampled was too heated though from being exposed to the sun. I also find this to be the case on many roadside fruit stands. I definitely prefer to buy from actual facilities with proper storage in place.

It's great that you support the other markets. Edmonton is so fortunate to have so many great markets in and around the city. Many of the SAME vendors that are at the City Market also sell at other markets at the city. So I would suggest talking to them about your concerns rather than continuing to rant.

Granville Island market is exactly what we DON'T want our downtown market to become. It is full or 'resellers' and wholesalers, and more often than not there is no longer a direct connection to the farmer. It's no different than purchasing your local food from a grocery store - there is a middleman that some people would like to avoid (if possible). What makes the City Market so special and successful is that is it VENDOR RUN, consisting majorily of first and secondary producers. Although Vancouverites have many options beyond markets there, Vancouver Planning Dept is bending over backwards to figure out how to emulate what we've achieved downtown.

Many people come to the City Market in the summer because it is outside. It is a strength, not a deterrent for most as you suggest. I personally love being outside at the market when it's summer. We get so little of it in Edmonton!
    Sorry I got bent out of shape.

Looks like my opinion on this market is shared by a nation of one.

I'll talk to some of the same vendors at the markets I will continue to go to.

I disagree with your take on places like Lonsdale and Granville or Pikes Place market for that matter. I love these places and middleman or not some great unique vendors and wares sold in very attractive surroundings.

Also love the old markets in Quebec City, Montreal, Forks in Winnipeg. I'm just a different sort I guess. It pains me in a stroll downtown to see RHW basically half shutdown due to a fire a longtime ago, Revillon building entirely misused(and that would be a great epicurean marketplace and formerly was), but that is now not open to the public, memories of great evenings at Mother Tuckers on the same block, and then to see a temporary market made of tents be the current draw.

sigh

Theres precious few old haunts left downtown. I like the outdoors but I don't go downtown to experience it. Sometimes the memories here are just gone.
    Last edited by Replacement; 30-08-2011 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dialog View Post
    I've been happy with all produce I've boughten from the farmers market.
    As have I... and I've been far happier with it than the stuff I've purchased at grocery stores.

^there is a water fountain in beaver hills.
    One would have to know where either beaver hills, or the water fountain is. This isn't the same block is it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast