Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Edmonton's City Market |104th St | Sat from 9-3

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    ^there is a water fountain in beaver hills.
    One would have to know where either beaver hills, or the water fountain is. This isn't the same block is it?
    Yep.

It's the park that fronts Jasper & 105 next to the Sobey's & connected by a well-travelled park/alley to the 104 ST hubbub.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    ^there is a water fountain in beaver hills.
    One would have to know where either beaver hills, or the water fountain is. This isn't the same block is it?
    Yep.

It's the park that fronts Jasper & 105 next to the Sobey's & connected by a well-travelled park/alley to the 104 ST hubbub.
    Thanks.

Any public washrooms anywhere around the market?

Questions Questions.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Long Term Contributor

I've had no issues using the washrooms in Sobeys.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    28,000 people visited the market last weekend without any major problems or concerns. Vendors work hard to please customers and enjoy feedback, but apparently ranting on C2E is much easier.

Medicine Man Bison has juice and pop for a $1. 5-10 wait when 28,000 move through the market on a Saturday is not unreasonable. Sobey's has water, and so do every other vendors for reasonable price, not to mention all the other stores and cafes within a few blocks. To avoid lines, come at a less-busy time of day.

Again, most vendors will jump over themselves trying to please patrons, but I guess you didn't bother to talk to any of them. If you don't get a satisfactory answer, then don't come back. But in almost all cases I've been very happy with the selection, quality and diversity of local products at the market. It's what makes it one of the top ten in Canada. It's not a carnival.
    I won't be back anytime soon.

Which is why a rant on a public board was preferable to giving feedback to a specific downtown market that I seldom support.

I'll be more than happy continuing to deal with the infinitely superior Strathcona market or even the Millwoods farmers market for reasons given.

ps People in Vancouver of course go to Granville Island or Lonsdale Quay markets. I doubt either of those excellent facilities consult the 104st market on how to run their business.

104st Farmers Market is like a temporary tent village and hardly something worthy of being emulated.

ftr I prefer the former 97st market to this. Clearly I prefer the market being contained in an actual facility.
    It's great that you support the other markets. Edmonton is so fortunate to have so many great markets in and around the city. Many of the SAME vendors that are at the City Market also sell at other markets at the city. So I would suggest talking to them about your concerns rather than continuing to rant.

Granville Island market is exactly what we DON'T want our downtown market to become. It is full or 'resellers' and wholesalers, and more often than not there is no longer a direct connection to the farmer. It's no different than purchasing your local food from a grocery store - there is a middleman that some people would like to avoid (if possible). What makes the City Market so special and successful is that is it VENDOR RUN, consisting majorily of first and secondary producers. Although Vancouverites have many options beyond markets there, Vancouver Planning Dept is bending over backwards to figure out how to emulate what we've achieved downtown.

Many people come to the City Market in the summer because it is outside. It is a strength, not a deterrent for most as you suggest. I personally love being outside at the market when it's summer. We get so little of it in Edmonton!
    Sorry I got bent out of shape.

Looks like my opinion on this market is shared by a nation of one.

I'll talk to some of the same vendors at the markets I will continue to go to.

I disagree with your take on places like Lonsdale and Granville or Pikes Place market for that matter. I love these places and middleman or not some great unique vendors and wares sold in very attractive surroundings.

Also love the old markets in Quebec City, Montreal, Forks in Winnipeg. I'm just a different sort I guess. It pains me in a stroll downtown to see RHW basically half shutdown due to a fire a longtime ago, Revillon building entirely misused(and that would be a great epicurean marketplace and formerly was), but that is now not open to the public, memories of great evenings at Mother Tuckers on the same block, and then to see a temporary market made of tents be the current draw.

sigh

Theres precious few old haunts left downtown. I like the outdoors but I don't go downtown to experience it. Sometimes the memories here are just gone.
    No problem...some of us downtowners have worked hard to make the market what it is today so forgive me if I'm pretty passionate about it, but realize and know not everyone will be happy all the time. There's a place for other types of markets for sure, but this market of farmer's and local producers, direct to the consumer, and right downtown in an urban setting, is special. (especially in Edmonton where most experiences are suburban.)

I certainly sympathize with you regarding old haunts, especially if you experienced downtown in its heyday. But the transformation downtown has had in the last decade since I moved there is truly amazing. There's still a ton to be accomplished though...plug away at it one issue at a time!
    www.decl.org

On a hotday a few vendors selling only refreshments or having bottled water available is a good idea. Who wants to wait in line 10mins to buy a refreshment?
    If it is such a good idea, why aren't you running that booth? The market doesn't have a vendor doing that because I would guess that to date no one has wanted to be that vendor.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiran View Post
    On a hotday a few vendors selling only refreshments or having bottled water available is a good idea. Who wants to wait in line 10mins to buy a refreshment?
    If it is such a good idea, why aren't you running that booth? The market doesn't have a vendor doing that because I would guess that to date no one has wanted to be that vendor.
    Its a perfectly reasonable question.

But I'm not from downtown, very seldom go downtown and its not at all convenient from where I live. I would think about it for Millwoods not that I'm looking for any extra income or anything. But I have more investment in what goes on in my neighborhood.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Posting Power

I think it would have to be done by the market itself. The rules of the City Centre market for vendors require that you prepare most of the stuff you sell either yourself, or it has to come from a local producer. At least, iirc. A booth just selling bottled water probably wouldn't fit the rules.
    Blog: http://www.stormbrew.ca/ | Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/stormbrew

Quote Originally Posted by graham View Post
    I think it would have to be done by the market itself. The rules of the City Centre market for vendors require that you prepare most of the stuff you sell either yourself, or it has to come from a local producer. At least, iirc. A booth just selling bottled water probably wouldn't fit the rules.
    Thanks for the clarification Graham. Sorry again to all for my rant.

Went to the Millwoods Farmers market tonight and left with hands full and had a great time. Difference being nice and cool, not at all crowded and you could peruse anything at your leisure. I really couldn't find anything I was looking for at the downtown market because of scores of people herded around everything.

I don't think I do crowds very well when shopping.

ps the Peaches and cream corn I bought today definitely wasn't fresh. Potatoes weren't very good either. Small potatoes and pricey but literally no taste to em. Cherries, Peas, Onions, Blackberries passing the test.

Overall I'd go with H & W for corn and most produce over this for taste but I like the idea of supporting some local farmers.
    Last edited by Replacement; 01-09-2011 at 09:25 PM.

Downtown Farmers market:

Traffic count is up to 48,500. Last year at this time it was 42,000 and in 2011 it was 28,388.

from SHO
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I'd rather C2E than work!

Just north of 75,000 if you count pure-bred dogs ...
    ... gobsmacked

Cities that are dog friendly are often the most livable and successful communities.

http://fortheloveofcities.com/?page_id=2
    www.decl.org

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Cities that are dog friendly are often the most livable and successful communities.

And yeah traffic must be up.

Top_Dawg hates crowds.

The few times that he went last year it was barely tolerable.

When he trotted through last Saturday he had to get out of there.

Too much !

Maybe you just need a shorter leash
    www.decl.org

ps the Peaches and cream corn I bought today definitely wasn't fresh. Potatoes weren't very good either. Small potatoes and pricey but literally no taste to em. Cherries, Peas, Onions, Blackberries passing the test.
    None of these are in season and wouldn't be from Alberta or even BC. Potatoes would have been in storage for the last 6 months.

What's in season - asparagus, greens of all kinds, green onions, rhubarb, baby kale, etc. Also, lots of flowers and plants for your garden.
    www.decl.org

Uh....SPACEcadet...

Sounds to Top_Dawg like you might have consumed some greens with e-coli.

You're replying to a post from two years ago.

Ahh yes, the replying without consideration of when time/date the post came from... Classic. I'm sure we've all done this or come close enough.

Tis true and I love the furry critters. However, I must point out that Amsterdam, for whatever reason, is much more a cat than dog city.

Go figger.

Back on topic, I think the meet, mingle and talk about your dog is part of the charm of the market.
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Uh....SPACEcadet...

HAHA, that's hilarious! My apologies to all. It seems I've been 'out to lunch' on a few posts today!
    www.decl.org

A couple by Sebastian from the DECL.

www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Uh....SPACEcadet...

HAHA, that's hilarious! My apologies to all. It seems I've been 'out to lunch' on a few posts today!
    heh, I was thinking "hey I haven't posted in this thread in years." why am I getting seasonal purchase advice?

I think I'll get a headstart on some 2015 shopping.

I quite like today's setup of the market: Jasper Ave westbound closed for the market, traffic down to 1 lane in each direction.

Pic courtesy of stacey brotzel:

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I quite like today's setup of the market: Jasper Ave westbound closed for the market, traffic down to 1 lane in each direction.
    Presumably that was just because of the Pride Parade taking over 102Ave, but I agree it was really neat to see it on Jasper itself. I can only imagine that between the parade, the market, and construction, the average blood pressure of drivers on downtown streets was particularly high that day, though.
    Blog: http://www.stormbrew.ca/ | Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/stormbrew

^It really put the Strathcona Market to shame. I hope they were paying attention - and keep paying attention - and learn something from the 104 Street Market, their success and the crowds on 104th are awesome. I've been trying to get more action on Strathcona's streets around the Market, but people seem pretty content in my area...
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    ^It really put the Strathcona Market to shame. I hope they were paying attention - and keep paying attention - and learn something from the 104 Street Market, their success and the crowds on 104th are awesome. I've been trying to get more action on Strathcona's streets around the Market, but people seem pretty content in my area...
    What an odd opinion. Old Strathcona market has had consistent numbers and patrons for years. I would say that market is a cornerstone of why we have such market success in this city and its a market that has stood the test of time and always survived as other markets gain favor, decline, or disappear.
    104st market seems to be in a bit of a renaissance but what specifically is better about it?
    Given a choice I'd rather go to Old Strathcona.

As for your comments about streets around the markets it should be patently obvious that Old Strathcona economically speaking has been thriving for decades and so the retailers are not dependent on something like the market and the crowds attracted to it. On the other hand I would imagine that the symbiosis between the 104st market and retailers there is much more vital for those stores getting established and that they do participate more. What else would you expect?
    Last edited by Replacement; 17-06-2013 at 06:09 AM.

It's not who's best - it's what works.

At the risk of noting the obvious, the most succesful markets in good old big E are, and in no particular order:

St Albert, located in the commercial centre of said good burb;
    104 street, located in the, err, commercial centre of said locale; and
    Strathcona, located in the commercial AND cultural centre of the former good town of Strathcona.

What works are the ancillary services, delights, pleasant assaults on the senses.

The markets surrounded by parking lots, school or community centre yards, have a bit tougher time making a sustained go of it because they lack ambience - community.

For me - 104 street on a summer day can't be beat. When winter comes - Strathcona has better selection. St. Albert, maybe when we get sensible metro transit.
    ... gobsmacked

Yes, nothing screams metropolis quite like ' farmer's market '.

Top_Dawg trotted through on Saturday.

Half a block in he was getting a headache.

So he made use of the ancillary services.

Ducked into Kelly's and pounded back a few suds.

And speaking of assault on the senses, Top_Dawg sure got a snoutful on his way there.

Evidently a good time was had by all at Knoxvilles.

Half a dozen puddles of dried barf adorned the sidewalk in front of Commodore and Audrey's.

Top_Dawg revelled in the cosmopolitan feel of the big city.

You know you have arrived when your main street is a puke minefield.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg
    Yes, nothing screams metropolis quite like ' farmer's market '.
    Virtually every list of things to see/do in Tokyo have the fish market near the top. The same can be said for numerous other major cities around the world having "must see" marketplaces/areas. Whether or not it contains the word "farmer".

As Top_Dawg seems to prize how many Canadians (beer!) he can lick in a night - would there be any of his own in the puke minefield?

Seriously, one can appreciate some doggie's love for all things the way they used to be. Alas, the world is moving on.

We have new sticks, err balls and other bones for you to chase.
    ... gobsmacked

This is a bold and worthy opinion. Resting on your laurels is never a recipe for success -- just ask Bee Bell. I'm glad someone is prodding the old girl along.

Every organization has its share of politics, but Old Strathcona market vendors in their case are resistant to spilling over onto the street in front. They would like to keep their captive audience as is, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    It's not who's best - it's what works.

At the risk of noting the obvious, the most succesful markets in good old big E are, and in no particular order:

St Albert, located in the commercial centre of said good burb;
    104 street, located in the, err, commercial centre of said locale; and
    Strathcona, located in the commercial AND cultural centre of the former good town of Strathcona.

What works are the ancillary services, delights, pleasant assaults on the senses.

The markets surrounded by parking lots, school or community centre yards, have a bit tougher time making a sustained go of it because they lack ambience - community.

For me - 104 street on a summer day can't be beat. When winter comes - Strathcona has better selection. St. Albert, maybe when we get sensible metro transit.
    This touches on what I don't like about the 104st market. That it is located on a city road, with all the ambience of a city road, and with plain white tents adding to that lack of atmosphere. To me anyway something couldn't look anymore generic, bland, and essentially it is similar to a burb market except more vendors and the backdrop of some shops.

Anybody who has been to the Forks, Old Montreal market, Pike Place, Granville Market, Lonsdale, Crystal place, etc understands how the ambience of an older facility adds to the cultural feeling of the farmers market.

Make no mistake 104st isn't a community either its a small, limited, one street enclave. Old Strathcona is the community. Which is why a trip there is more appealing. Only somebody living on 104st or environs would consider it as a community. An inclusive community appeals to all visitors.

Not sure what really is the attraction of this new urban type of market. It really does feel suburban and could be anywhere. For anybody living outside of downtown 104st isn't considered a must see destination either. Theres some interesting shops but its not there yet. It doesn't bring me in on its own. If I happen to be downtown sometimes I check it out.

Every organization has its share of politics, but Old Strathcona market vendors in their case are resistant to spilling over onto the street in front. They would like to keep their captive audience as is, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
    I'll wager that the formula continues to work just as it has worded for several decades. While downtowns version of a farmers market continues to reinvent itself and sputters along at times not even being noticeable.

Want an interesting and appealing location for a farmers market?

Put it on Louise McKinney park along the river. With smaller vendors even on the river promenade. Maybe even some vendors on boats. Now that would be an appealing location I would go to.

^I understand your reservations, but I would encourage you to check it out. The street has changed a lot over the years and there are a lot of amenities on the street now, and downtown in general. The construction makes it challenging, but those are growing pains.

What I love about the 104 Street market is being outside, but also the quality and variety of vendors. For me it's important what is being offered, as I buy a lot of my groceries there from week to week.

While places like the Forks and Granville Island definitely have their place, they are what is referred to as 'reseller' markets and can't really be categorized as 'farmer's markets'. They allow a whole breadth of businesses there that wouldn't be allowed in an actual farmer's market. For instance, Granville Island now hosts an outdoor farmer's market on Thursday so that people can get that direct farm-to-table experience. There is a place for both markets, but they are not directly comparable.
    www.decl.org

^I understand your reservations, but I would encourage you to check it out. The street has changed a lot over the years and there are a lot of amenities on the street now, and downtown in general. The construction makes it challenging, but those are growing pains.

What I love about the 104 Street market is being outside, but also the quality and variety of vendors. For me it's important what is being offered, as I buy a lot of my groceries there from week to week.

While places like the Forks and Granville Island definitely have their place, they are what is referred to as 'reseller' markets and can't really be categorized as 'farmer's markets'. They allow a whole breadth of businesses there that wouldn't be allowed in an actual farmer's market. For instance, Granville Island now hosts an outdoor farmer's market on Thursday so that people can get that direct farm-to-table experience. There is a place for both markets, but they are not directly comparable.
    Oh for sure I'll check it out again. But it isn't, and won't become, my first choice. You're talking to somebody that would prefer housing it all in the Revillon building.

I love the outdoors as well, but as I become older I would rather have my outdoor activity be physical pursuits in beautiful natural surroundings when I hike or bike in the river valley.

As I get older I find I can't spend all day in the sun and I'm much more susceptible to sunstroke now than when I was younger and didn't even have to think about it. Really a couple hours out in the mid day sun seems to pack more of a punch than it used to. So my choices are more limited now. Doesn't help on a hot summer day when the heat is absorbed by the road you're standing on either. I feel like I'm on a tarmac baking in the sun on 104th. Mind you I've hit it up on days it was around 30C out.
    Last edited by Replacement; 18-06-2013 at 11:29 AM.

^Haha, totally understandable. Of course the market operates rain or shine...last Saturday was raining and about 60km/h wind gusts. It made it challenging for the vendors! As customers, we would all help hold down the tents when we were purchasing something.
    www.decl.org

Years ago, I was (vocally) opposed to moving the downtown market from it's indoor 97 street location to 104 street. I was wrong. The downtown market is ideal for a couple of reasons: If I want to linger and run into friends it accommodates. If I need to complete my grocery list in a hurry, bob's your uncle.
    Strathcona is not bad for the former but if you're in a hurry and it's after 9am, forget it. And frankly, the new operators of the cafeteria at the back are not winning my business.
    Also, as far as my kids are concerned, downtown is a better jumping off point for the days activities.

Thanks for the blast from the past ajs.

Remember 2-3 decades ago when the 97 Street Farmer's Market had that stand alone Fish and Seafood store.

Some smells you never forget.

Again, to my point of markets - indoors or out - in commercial areas versus high school or leisure centre parking lots is:

When we hit up the 104 street market we also stop at Dauphine for some bread, at Pangea for milk in glass bottles, then to Cavern for the weekly cheese fix ...

Yes, that would work at Forks, Grandville Island et al. We'd have such too, possibly at Walterdale, but the last price tag I saw for that was a tonne of sticker shock.
    ... gobsmacked

One area where businesses were not too keen to get behind in Strathcona was setting up along streets and alleys in the area as the Fringe does. There was a solid time frame for the outdoor portion - only Saturday's - and the backdrop was an underused park, mural-ridden alleys, and empty streets/alleys by the Trans-Alta Barns. Indoor and outdoor combined is perfect, allows smaller vendors to participate, and increases the activity and commerce in the area. But, just like the Art Walk wanting to maintain to just Whyte, and limit vendors, the idea of including Edmonton's alleyways into anything but areas for garbage is apparently useless and falling upon deaf ears. I know 104st had the same issues I believe being denied activity into the alleys. Activity in a building is fine, but active street-life is always a welcome addition, that is why I believe 104 street has a more welcoming atmosphere and vibrancy to it. What's it... 4 months of summer here? Might as well utilize it and cash in.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

During Fringe last year Wee Book Inn had a sale behind their shop in the alley. Great idea.

The St. Lawrence Market in Toronto is simply incredible and is not on a river or without street pizzas from nights out before. Having just returned from Montreal and Toronto, it reminded me how all cities are quite dirty/with filth, but if you have enough interesting things to see or do you just walk by it without much of a second glance.
    www.decl.org

Partially Addicted to C2E

Again, to my point of markets - indoors or out - in commercial areas versus high school or leisure centre parking lots is:

When we hit up the 104 street market we also stop at Dauphine for some bread, at Pangea for milk in glass bottles, then to Cavern for the weekly cheese fix ...

Yes, that would work at Forks, Grandville Island et al. We'd have such too, possibly at Walterdale, but the last price tag I saw for that was a tonne of sticker shock.
    Glad to see someone bring this up. If you think about it, 104 Street is developing into our version of this. No, it's not the same but a good product is a good product.

I've been so busy concentrating on the Rossdale Plant *fingers crossed* that I never thought of another viable possibility for this kind of marketplace...couldn't this simply be facilitated in the bases of the 104 street towers? Sobey's, Pangea, Roast et all are more than just a good start.

Top_Dawg has been trotting through the Downtown Farmer's Market almost every Saturday this summer.

He doesn't really stop at any of the vendor's - just zig zags through on his way to more important activities.

Mainly to choke down some suds to shake off the typical Saturday morning grog.

Has anybody noticed that generally it's always the same 25% of booths that have any activity ?

Why do the rest of these vendors bother week after week only to see virtually little or no business ?

^hmmm cause ya start somewhere.. and I bet they see more biz that you are aware of.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

^^also, the crowds are up considerably and so the potential is there.
    www.decl.org

Saturday was very busy once again and it seemed like there has been a nice increase in variety of booths, offerings and buskers.
    www.decl.org

Farmers Market Xylophony by Plunderkind on Photobucket

He got a dollar.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

^+1
    www.decl.org

^^ Saw this guy for the first time two (?), three weeks ago. Have to admire anyone who hauls that thing around.

Also, very pleseant to hear. Maybe he could move north towards 102 ave and the nice young man with the five song repetoire could move south?
    ... gobsmacked

^^ Saw this guy for the first time two (?), three weeks ago. Have to admire anyone who hauls that thing around.

Also, very pleseant to hear. Maybe he could move north towards 102 ave and the nice young man with the five song repetoire could move south?

Yeah no kidding McBoo.

Way south.

Like Calgary.

And Top_Dawg wonders about the wisdom of grouping all of the vendors selling produce together on 102 avenue, adjacent to the Boardwalk.

Top_Dawg sees that they are pretty much the only ones that see any hard ca$h.

If they spread them around then perhaps some of the other vendors would see some traffic.

Quite frankly Top_Dawg figgers a lot of vendors are gonna vanish after this summer - just nothing in it for them.

^each year there is turnover, with new ones taking their place.
    www.decl.org

Some people are cheap if they only gave him a dollar. My wife made me give him four dollars for this very reason.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Saturday, June 6, 2014:
    The city center market was busy as usual today. Due to the pride parade, it spilled onto Jasper Avenue, which was cool.

One of the new solar powered garbage cans is being tested on the street.

Reminder : City market on 104st starts today, 9am-3pm.
    www.decl.org

Great to have it back on 104st. Nice to see many familiar faces.
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

Nice to see it was quite busy, despite the weather.

When Top_Dawg trotted through at about 1:45 it was really dead.

Most were closed or packing up.

C2E SME

I was there at 11am or so, and it seemed quite busy. The pasta lady was sold out of gnocchi, as usual.

Was there around 1130-1230 and it was busy, often dies down by 2.
    www.decl.org

A question for those in the know, what's happening with the Farmers market when the Valley Line goes down 102ave? Presumably, they're planning on running trains on Saturdays.

C2E SME

Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eyes View Post
    A question for those in the know, what's happening with the Farmers market when the Valley Line goes down 102ave? Presumably, they're planning on running trains on Saturdays.
    By then it should be back on 104 street primarily. The only reason it's on 102 Avenue the past couple years is because of the Fox construction and lane closures. Prior to that it was only on 104 street, up to 103 avenue. I don't see why that configuration wouldn't work again, even with the LRT running down 102 avenue.

^exactly and by then my guess is that it might stretch all the way from Jasper to 104 Avenue.
    www.decl.org

How about during LRT construction?

^LRT construction is only going to 102, maybe 103 Street. There might be some utility relocation but I'm guessing they've made arrangements to do that when the market isn't there.
    www.decl.org

C2E Posting Power

^exactly and by then my guess is that it might stretch all the way from Jasper to 104 Avenue.
    That would be fantastic.
    YEG lifer. Phillips liver.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Eyes View Post
    By then it should be back on 104 street primarily. The only reason it's on 102 Avenue the past couple years is because of the Fox construction and lane closures. Prior to that it was only on 104 street, up to 103 avenue. I don't see why that configuration wouldn't work again, even with the LRT running down 102 avenue.
    Ahhh. There will still be an issue that a train would still be running down 102ave though, splitting the market into two sections, although maybe they could work around this, for example, by running slower trains in this section on Saturdays. This is also be a few years off since it wouldn't affect 104st until the second phase. I was just wondering if it it had been discussed at all during LRT planning.
    Last edited by Snake Eyes; 10-06-2015 at 12:50 PM.

I don't see a problem. When the lights and bells go off and crossing arms come down, people will wait for the train to pass.

You don't have those kinds of things, or should not have arms, for this type of train. Think street car. If we being to over design the 'safety' of this I will lose my mind. You look both ways just like at any intersection.

http://raisethehammer.org
    www.decl.org

I guess another option is to leave 102ave open to traffic, block the road and push people to the controlled crosswalks at the intersection. Then it's just business as usual. Right now, that intersection during the market hours is a great spot though.
    Last edited by Snake Eyes; 10-06-2015 at 02:42 PM.

There will be lots of new landscaping, but ya that intersection for sitting will be gone. The train will just slow down and wait for the traffic light, people will cross like normal.

What people will have to get used to is not walking on the cycle track. If you walk on the cycle track in other cities people literally yell at you.
    www.decl.org

City Market Downtown on 104 Street officials weighing options once Valley Line LRT construction begins
    http://metronews.ca/news/edmonton/13...uction-begins/

There’s a farmers’ market and there’s an expanding LRT line, and both plan to use 102 Avenue in 2016.

And that’s where the difficulty starts.

“Effectively the LRT decision splits our market into two,” said Dan Young, chair of the Downtown Farmers’ Market steering committee.

At the moment, market organizers said they’re unsure how to accommodate construction of the Valley Line LRT, which will run along 102 Avenue precisely where they hold a market every Saturday in the summer.

Timelines for construction of the LRT line have not been established, said Brad Griffiths, with LRT projects at the city the Director of LRT design and construction with the city.

Still, Griffiths said closing 102 Avenue from 103 Street to Jasper Avenue east is a high possibility for 2016.

“The contractor will schedule it but he has the right to close [102 Avenue] for the full five-year duration of the construction.”

Options for the farmers’ market include extending north on 104 Street, or placing vendors on 104 Street, but south of Jasper Avenue. But there are safety concerns with both options, said Young.

“If we go north on 104 Street, […] how do we get customers safely across? The same thing for Jasper [Avenue]: what do we do to get across Jasper [Avenue] for the market?”

A third alternative is extending the market onto Jasper Avenue in “the northern-most lanes”—as done during the days of the Edmonton Pride Festival parade when it was downtown, he said.

“That all depends on city approval and approval of business owners,” he said.

^

This can't be coincidence can it???

The media outlets do read C2E, you know.

grish

I like the idea of taking the westbound lanes on Jasper and splitting east bound into two way traffic on Saturdays for the market. Would make the market that much more prominent and Saturday traffic can handle the change.

Or maybe have the City do this portion of the work from Oct-May
    www.decl.org

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12