Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: East LRT | Downtown to Sherwood Park | Discussion

That's unlikely as the downtown connector will be low floor and will be running along Whyte to Bonnie Doon from the University or Old Strathcona, depending on routing.

The problem with the line running down Shwd Pk Fwy is that the new growth is along the northern edge of the Park. I'd branch off the MWLRT line at 85th st and run north to 101 ave. run along Baseline Road to Sherwood Drive and terminate at Festival Place. Covers more of Sherwood Park and the Capilano area as well. If you run down the freeway there's not much past 75th st. and when you get to the park it's more complicated to get to the centre of town.

C2E SME

Definitely a route that would travel past Capilano Mall would work.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

In Guantanamo (Banned)

A Coliseum/Capilano/Bonnie Doon/Argyll/Southgate/WEM loop is something to think about long and hard for the mid/distant future.

But municipally-run rail transit across municipality boundaries is a nightmare.

I couuld see a line in the (far) future running from 34th st west along the LRT ROW past Mill Woods, west along 23rd ave to Terwillegar and then, somewhere, crossing to run up Lessard rd/178 st to WEM.

C2E SME

With Osinchuk elected as Strathcona County Mayor, I'm looking forward to seeing upcoming plans for the LRT to Sherwood Park.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

C2E SME

Well hopefully Sherwood Park will be smart enough and ambitious enough to want LRT and to make things happen out that way.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    Well hopefully Sherwood Park will be smart enough and ambitious enough to want LRT and to make things happen out that way.
    That was one of the, now I can say it, mayor's platforms. "LRT to Strathcona sooner rather than later". It will not happen overnight but there is now a willingness to work together and I can see Sherwood Park working on their ROW within a few years to ensure the land is available when construction is ready to begin.
    Edmonton, Capital of Alberta

First One is Always Free

The most sensible route is a branch off of the Bonnie Doon-Millwoods line to the Wye Road Transit Centre. No intersections past 71 st. Local feeder routes would then continue service to Sherwood Park's "core".

The many, many street lights along Baseline could pose construction challenges and an increase in traffic-related violence.
    You can never have too much garlic

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Edmcowboy11 View Post
    Don't bet on it, you're talking an administration which seems to think an infinite amount of strip malls are a good idea. And more traffic lights then on Jasper Avenue (almost).

Quote Originally Posted by incubo nero View Post
    The most sensible route is a branch off of the Bonnie Doon-Millwoods line to the Wye Road Transit Centre. No intersections past 71 st. Local feeder routes would then continue service to Sherwood Park's "core".

The many, many street lights along Baseline could pose construction challenges and an increase in traffic-related violence.
    The growth in Sherwood Park will be north of Baseline Road. Better to split off the Millwoods line to 101 ave and down Baseline to Strathcona Station and then south to Festival Way. Perhaps if the LRT causes traffic problems due to the lights more people will opt to take the train. Which should have priority, a car with 1-2 people or a trainload?

C2E Continued Contributor

Baseline makes sense, especially with a possible additional station near Millennium Place. Not sure how expensive it will be to widen baseline all the way into the city....maybe just get rid of a lane to encourage more people to take the train.
    Edmonton, Capital of Alberta

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    The growth in Sherwood Park will be north of Baseline Road. Better to split off the Millwoods line to 101 ave and down Baseline to Strathcona Station and then south to Festival Way. Perhaps if the LRT causes traffic problems due to the lights more people will opt to take the train. Which should have priority, a car with 1-2 people or a trainload?

My opinion is based on the notion that the line will terminate at the boundary (in which case Wye Road TC is better located) with local feeder routes doing the rest of the work. In other words, replacing the #401 and #404 routes.

I believe that the extension from approx. Bonnie Doon to Wye Road TC has fewer physical impediments than a 101 Ave route. I don't see that being an issue though if for some reason, the City of Edmonton extends the LRT East to Capilano Mall.

In Guantanamo (Banned)

It's a loser proposition unless the County of Strathcona secures funding for everything east of the last Edmonton stop. That border is not going to move, so the suburbanites had better pay for connexion rights.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by abaka View Post
    It's a loser proposition unless the County of Strathcona secures funding for everything east of the last Edmonton stop. That border is not going to move, so the suburbanites had better pay for connexion rights.
    Should Edmonton pay most for the bus service to the airport? They are using more then Nisku. Should Edmontonians pay Strathcona County or MD Sturgean for use of the roads to other refineries? Or Leduc County for taking highway 2 to Nisku?

Plus how do you divide up provincial and federal funding? It is precisely for this reason why we have a regional board, to address this things.

First One is Always Free

^^ Whatever consideration is being made for LRT extension to St. Albert should be applied in this case as well. The Regional Board shall conquer all.

Quote Originally Posted by incubo nero View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post

My opinion is based on the notion that the line will terminate at the boundary (in which case Wye Road TC is better located) with local feeder routes doing the rest of the work. In other words, replacing the #401 and #404 routes.

I believe that the extension from approx. Bonnie Doon to Wye Road TC has fewer physical impediments than a 101 Ave route. I don't see that being an issue though if for some reason, the City of Edmonton extends the LRT East to Capilano Mall.
    A Whyte avenue route doesn't really help Edmonton though since there's no real reason for a station on Whyte east of Bonnie Doon. A line running along Baseline could have a couple of Edmonton stops. If Strathcona wanted to pay for the whole line to Bonnie Doon then go for the Bonnie Doon/Wye Road line.

C2E SME

Well I don't see Strathcona county paying for a train route within the city. I still think the most likely place to branch off the LRT is after the Strathern Station. Head to Capilano Mall from there and then at that point travel into Sherwood Park.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12