Thread: EPS Proposes Crime-Tracking Website

I'd rather C2E than work!

Thumbs up EPS Proposes Crime-Tracking Website

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...713/story.html

I think this is an excellent idea from Chief Boyd. It would allow those that care the ability to track crimes in their area, and hopefully result in more awareness of problems. Last year, when I was looking at houses, I visited the local community station to find out what types of crime occurred around the property I was looking at. While the officer gave me a general overview of the area (mostly garage B&Es), I could have gotten specific information off a site like this.

I think the Police Commission would be crazy not to approve this.

Gord

I'd much rather see EPS funds go towards having teams of officers assigned to every community in Edmonton, and go out and make themselves known as the local police, hand out business cards, get to know the folks in the communities they are tasked with patrolling. Man, what a difference that would make. Imagine instead of needing to "call the cops", you could count on calling "Constable Jones" or whatever. Let them take ownership of their areas.

I don't want a website that lets me look up crimes, I want more effective policing that makes those stats disappear so no website is needed. It can happen.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Default This is why the cheif's idea may be good

^Ahhahahahahaha... our justice system is so stupid.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Generally I think information is a good thing. On the other hand though - the results of this might show that:

1. Downtown is "dangerous" (even though it is crimes of drunk youths from early in the morning)
    2. Whyte is "dangerous" (like 1)
    3. Rich suburbs are "safe".
    4. Poor suburbs are "not safe"
    5. Rich inner city is "safe"
    6. Poor inner city is "really really dangerous" (at least, comparatively)

And of course, all of that could be skewed to favor one or another depending on which crimes are "crimes" and which ones are not (for example, graffiti? vandalism? Domestic violence? etc.). It might just open a can of worms / scare people away from some areas where we most need people to return.
    Last edited by moahunter; 03-06-2009 at 01:05 PM.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    I'd much rather see EPS funds go towards having teams of officers assigned to every community in Edmonton, and go out and make themselves known as the local police, hand out business cards, get to know the folks in the communities they are tasked with patrolling. Man, what a difference that would make. Imagine instead of needing to "call the cops", you could count on calling "Constable Jones" or whatever. Let them take ownership of their areas.

I don't want a website that lets me look up crimes, I want more effective policing that makes those stats disappear so no website is needed. It can happen.
    I like this idea. If I had someone's card and had met them, i'd be more inclined to call them up about a concern or non-emergency situation. I don't know what the number is for the community line of the local cop shop. Yes, I know it's somewhere in the phonebook.

^Exactly. Anonymity belongs on internet forums, not in our police force. Imagine folks in the community had a relationship with their local police team? Imagine your local police were empathetic to the smaller things that happened in their zones, like graffiti, vandalism, and harassment?

Here's some math for you numbers folks: Break up Edmonton into 100 policing zones, have 6 officers per zone (3 shifts of 2 officers working 8 hours each, 12 hours if needed for vacation coverage, etc). That's only 600 of our what, 1500 cops? Each team would be responsible for about 7500 residents... about the same as the average family doctor right now. The physical boundaries would be small, so response times would be fast, especially in dense areas where the boundaries would be smaller. The remaining officers would remain in specific teams: traffic, homicide, gangs, drugs, commercial, etc. Call me crazy, but I'd enjoy knowing the local police... and they'd quickly learn the trouble spots and be able to focus their efforts on community policing.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    And of course, all of that could be skewed to favor one or another depending on which crimes are "crimes" and which ones are not (for example, graffiti? vandalism? Domestic violence? etc.)
    The type of crimes were outlined in the article:

People will be able to search for eight crimes that police track: murder, robbery, sexual assault, assault, break and enter, theft from auto, theft of auto and theft over $5,000.
    As for getting to know your local police - have you guys ever been to your local station? Drop by some time, chat with the officers and maybe consider signing up to volunteer in the station (then you can REALLY get to know the local officers).

As for taking away from police resources, it wasn't explained how this site would be updated. It could easily be done by volunteers at the community stations, or volunteers at the divisional stations. I volunteered at a station for 3 years, and I'd often stick different colored stickers on a map of the area which corresponded to various crimes. I would have LOVED to do that on a computer instead. All it would take is a database feeding Google Maps and the whole thing could be done by filling out a couple of fields. Actually, they could probably write something that pulled the addresses right out of the police computer and dropped it onto a map.

Gord

Looks like the crime tracking site is going to launch on Thursday (if approved):
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Polic...305/story.html

Gord

Partially Addicted to C2E

I'm not sure how this website is going to reduce crime.
    I would much rather have an officer patroling 95 street, than have a website I can go check to see what crime has occured.

In my experience with the EPs - (which is limited.) I have found that the police don't use the residents/citizens to assist them. I have had "communitiy officers" say that they don't know where the issues are in the neighbourhoods.

I would suggest in "inner city" neighbourhoods many residents could point out the "problem" homes or identify who the "prostitutes" are.

The website itself won't reduce crime. It allows people to get a better sense of what's happening in their communities. If I look on the crime tracking site and notice that my area has a lot of car break-ins, and a few days later I see someone I don't know poking around a car on my block, I'm less likely to dismiss the activity, and more likely to investigate it.

I used to live in a condo building, and I was extremely frustrated to find out that some of the storage lockers were broken into one day. Thieves hit 16 of them one afternoon, but after talking to people about the incident I discovered 3 people had their cars broken into a couple of weeks earlier, and one person had his bike stolen. Had the condo board made people aware that these other incidents had occurred then maybe everyone would have been more vigilant in protecting the building, and the people who broke into the storage lockers wouldn't have gained access to the building (undoubtedly someone let them walk in after they buzzed into the building).

It's too easy to close our eyes and think everything is fine just because we haven't been affected by crime. This site, if used properly, will make us more aware of what goes on around us.

Gord

I sure hope this had prior approval by the commission to go forward, doesn't make any sense to do all the work and then ask permission.

Well, it's up, and the site is very cool. You can get information on 8 different types of crimes, but you can also get a monthly breakdown of the crimes in a community from 2007 on. I'm very impressed by this (crap, looks like there was a theft from vehicle on my street the other day).

Gord

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Why don't they have one for theft under $5000? So you could see if things like bikes were being stolen. My parents just had both of their bikes stolen, and it doesn't seem to fit into any of the categories, so it won't be listed.

You registered but never posted. username to be deleted.

^It seems to be a dependant on how the complaint was registered and the circumstances surrounding it.

I know of two instances on our street: One where a lady didn't lock the doors of her car, and some CD's were taken, and another where a bike was stolen from inside of a garage. Both show up on here, as "Theft from Vehicle Under" and "Break & Enter Private Garage"

P.S. Going through and noting the undesirable neighbourhoods right now so I can avoid them.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I think that this is a useful "awareness" tool that may help people who use it to become little more aware of the goings on and may think twice about crimes of opportunity due to leaving goods in a vehicle or their homes unlocked. (as examples)
    Will they be adding a "crime solved or arrest made" or other similar features?

Real Estate values in high crime areas will take a beating as no one will want to move there.
    Unfortunately we cannot have a policeman on every street corner but even if we did crime would still prevale.

This information is already available to the public. This isn't anything new, other than a new way to provide the information... it's not likely going to have any effect on property values.

I think a lot of people were not aware crime stats were available for the public to see. Now they are advertising the web-site more people will be aware of what is happening in certain areas. This evening I tried to access the EPS site but it was unacessible due to high traffic.

Even if people weren't aware, the stats were available, realtors knew about them, many of the crimes, especially the violent crimes, were reported in the news... it's no secret.

Maybe realtors do know crime stats but I have bought three homes over the years and I have never once heard a realtor mention crime.
    They will tell you about the schools, stores, transportation but crime, no.
    They want to sell you the house and crime does not come into their sales pitch.

Did you ask? Probably not... and if it's a high crime area, the prices already reflect that.

No, never thought to ask but I have been living in Edmonton a fair while so I think I know areas that have higher crime. For sure a person moving to a new city would be doing the right thing by asking about crime in certain areas. A nice area does not mean no crime. Someone could have got a hatchet buried in their head in a nice area but a so called bad area may just have craffitti, dogs barking or spitters. Crime is crime but some of it is worse than others.

Well I'm sure if you look at the statistics, you'll see that someone is much more likely to end up with a hatchet in their head in one of the inner city neighborhoods than Riverbend. And to suggest otherwise is just foolishness.

Yes, I am sure someone is more likely to get a hatchet buried in their head in an inner city hood but for you to suggest people in Riverbend would be immune to that is foolishness. Is there some kind of magic shield around Riverbend that protects it's citizens from harm.

Where do you get that from? I never said it will never happen, but it's FAR less likely to happen in Riverbend than some inner city hood.

Sorry, you did say hatchet weilding would be far less likely to happen in Riverbend.
    We should maybe burry the hatchet on this one, so to speak.

Agreed.

Nice conversing with you.
    Will catch you another time on some other topic.

Addicted to C2E

Funny how it shows that neighbourhoods like Oliver and Whyte Ave have more crime than much of the North End ! So the stats should be taken with a pinch of salt: any place with a number of late night spots will have more than its fair share of assaults, but it would hardly be an issue with the local residents. Similarly, areas around LRT stations (with large car parks) will have more thefts from vehicles, regardless of the general neighbourhood crime profile. Just a few thoughts

You registered but never posted. username to be deleted.

^Density also plays a role. Some of the areas showing very high numbers of crimes are also some of the most dense residential areas in the city.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

i have mixed feelings on this one and on some other "initiatives" that i consider similar. like the temporary sign on jasper and 109 that announced 250 dollar fines for jaywalking and the amounts for drinking and fighting in public and finishing with the note that a criminal record was "priceless". for someone here for indy weekend or downtown for the first time in a while, is that the "message" we want to give them if we want them to do more than keep on moving and not coming back? are we encouraging the very behavior we are trying to avoid by putting off those that don't indulge in it by saying "you might not be comfortable here"? and the same thing for those streets that put up signs saying "prostitution is not welcome here"? is it just me whose first thought is "then why is that sign here? they don't go up where there isn't prostitution so isn't the sign in fact advertising the district and not discouraging the action?" as for the web stats, while they at least aren't "in your face" like street signage, is there not a balance between making the public aware of the level of certain activities in a particular area and that awareness discouraging those that would lessen the incidence of those activities from being there to do just that, even if just by their presence? some of this seems to me to be the opposite of neighborhood watch and awareness programs and closer to potential neighborhood abandonment than support and i'm nor sure where that line gets crossed...
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

I think its broken. There is only 3 crimes for Abbottsfield.
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Just tried checking a past year for our neighbourhood to see how it compares with the present. Canít do it.

Interesting nonetheless.

http://crimemapping.edmontonpolice.ca

Zoom in on map to choose neighbourhood(s) and select crimes and time span.

Quote Originally Posted by danimalrex View Post
    ^Density also plays a role. Some of the areas showing very high numbers of crimes are also some of the most dense residential areas in the city.
    It would be interesting to see mapping based on uniform population blocks.

Last edited by KC; 28-05-2018 at 07:47 PM.

St Albert’s new version:

St. Albert pilots crime map program
    BY JENNIFER HENDERSON MAR 2, 2018

St. Albert has been chosen to pilot an RCMP project that shows residents’ timely tracking of crimes in the community.

The city has been selected as the first municipality to host an interactive online crime map which allows residents to track the crimes that are happening in their neighbourhood.

“The idea behind this is to create the awareness in the community for that neighbourly engagement,” St. Albert Insp. Pamela Robinson said.

Icons are layered on a map of St. Albert to show where crimes have taken place, although due to privacy reasons the exact location of the crime cannot be pinpointed. ...”

https://www.stalbertgazette.com/arti...ogram-20180302

Hate crimes mapping

'Seeing is believing': New website maps incidents of prejudice, bigotry in Alberta

CLAIRE THEOBALD
    Updated: February 13, 2017
    Excerpt:

“The Alberta Hate Crimes Committee launched their #STOPHATEAB website Monday, encouraging victims of hate incidents — where a hurtful event may be motivated by the perpetrator’s hatred, bias or prejudice based on race, nationality, ethnicity, language, religion, sex, age, mental or physical disability or sexual orientation without technically constituting a crime — so hateful incidences can be recorded and analyzed. ...”

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/crim...try-in-alberta