Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Edmonton's Late and Great Businesses... your memories please!

C2E Continued Contributor
    South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cnr67 View Post
    Mother Tucker's steak house was in the now demolished Metals annex building. Best Prime rib in Edmonton for $20 including all you could eat fresh bread and salad bar.
    Is Mother Tucker's still around in Calgary? I was there 10 years ago.
    I haven't a clue. There was another in Winnipeg as well.
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

^ Still some Mother Tucker's in Southern Ontario.

Anyone recall Harleywoods in Kingsway Mall? You could play games (video, billiards and ntn trivia), have a beer and a little food. Used to go there in the late ninties while going to NAIT.

For those who build models, The Little Depot was the best for anything one could imagine putting in the air,on the road or on rails.Though thier specialty was trains, they would always take the time to find what you were looking for. And do so without the internet. The last model I bought from them has a price tag of $6.75 now listed on Ebay for $25. How times have evolved.

C2E Posting Power

Bullwinkle's on Fort Road. Im sure if I went there as an adult today I would be grossed out by that pizza. Ignorance is bliss as a kid I guess.

Default Mother Tucker's Calgary closes

I know this isn't Edmonton, however.....

The fascinating operation of the rustic-themed, authentic prime rib house at 345 10th Ave. S.W., comes to an end Jan. 2. when one of the city's most recognized eateries will itself become history. A modernized new restaurant/ pub, under new ownership, will replace the historic restaurant in late spring.

C2E Long Term Contributor

^ Mother Tuckers was also in downtown Edmonton if I recall correctly.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Yes. In what is now gone. The Metals Annex building.

Mother Tuckers was where Ricks Grill is now. But just up the street was fine dinning at Waldens and around the corner was the Warehouse restaurant where Characters is now.

And 2 of my favourites, Buffalo Bills on Kingsway and Dog and Suds by CCA about where the Oilers office is now.

I vaguely recall a pub called....Runway 29?????? I cannot recall where that was. There was a eatery in the old YXD terminal that served up good meals as well.

^ There is a pub called Runway 29 in the hotel on 109 Street across from Kingsway. Is that the same place?

I keep meaning to check it out. Seems it might be kind of kitschy in an old-time way.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercucio View Post
    ^ There is a pub called Runway 29 in the hotel on 109 Street across from Kingsway. Is that the same place?

I keep meaning to check it out. Seems it might be kind of kitschy in an old-time way.
    Damn. That does sound right. Is it located on the second floor? If so, I think this is the place. Been a looooong time if that's the place.

^ It is on the second floor. IIRC, it was renovated a couple of years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercucio View Post
    ^ It is on the second floor. IIRC, it was renovated a couple of years ago.
    Thanks so much. I'll have a visit.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    Woolco was American, part of Woolworth's.
    Well, we had Woolco AND Woolworth's in Edmonton. There was one of the latter in Bonnie Doon Mall, iirc. My impression was that Woolco at least had been originally Woolworth's, but got bought out by Canadians and so was Canadian owned. Similar to Woolworths(no apostrophe) in the UK.

EDIT: Hmm. Looking at wiki, it seems that Woolco might have been American-owned, but that there ended up being more stores in Canada, and they lasted here longer than in the US. Not sure why we also had Woolworth's.
    Last edited by overoceans; 05-01-2011 at 11:00 AM.

Clubs - Sears 23
    -Kaos
    -OZ
    -The Rev Cabaret (starlight)
    -Bronze

Bars - Powerplant - still open but nothing like a good ol 'Inga's night out'
    -'the ship' - shame what University is about now
    -The basement - good ol underage drinking with frat boys everywhere

Food - 'Rivercity Chophouse' - only there once, very very good.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Sha Na Na's lounge in the basement of the Ellis Building.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Food - 'Rivercity Chophouse' - only there once, very very good.
    Agreed. I knew a couple of the owners, they were part of the same ownership group that included Overtime and another place (name escapes me...where the High St. Original Joes is now).
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

80's Edmontons First Afterhours Punk Club. Kreig on 104st. This was where the guys from to SNFU hung out and quite a number of designers that went on to international recognition.

Ahhh Sha-Na-Na's I used to work there in the early 90s, I was the DJ for almost 3 years. I had my first Monster Burger at the Motoraunt after my first night partying there, that was before the Motoraunt move to 50th st. It's sadly closed now too.

Anyways, gonna add a few clubs. Worked at many of these places.

Crocodile Joe's (179 St & Stony Plain Rd - Eventually closed and became Santannas)
    Santanna's
    Zan-Za-Bar (was on 50th street and 130 ave)
    Gas Pump South Side (It's Diamond's Gentleman's club now)
    The Rock Pit (Bonniedoon mall)
    Rock City (Downtown)
    Rock Central Station / Truckers (Kingsway Inn)
    JRJ's American Bar (which later became Cowboys)
    Mustang Saloon
    Franklin's Forest Lounge (121st 111ave)
    And as of Jan 1, 2011, The Purple Onion is gone too.

There are more but I can't remember their names right now.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Does anyone remember Sha, na, na's over there by the General hospital on Jasper? It was a bit of a dive but I had fundancing there in the early 1990's.
    I think that was in the Ellis building on 112 St, just across the alley from the Devonian building. Right? I remember popping in there once - it was the same type of patrons one would find at the Gas Pump these days.
    Last edited by DJTeK; 01-02-2011 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BalancedOP View Post
    80's Edmontons First Afterhours Punk Club. Kreig on 104st. This was where the guys from to SNFU hung out and quite a number of designers that went on to international recognition.
    Is this the space that later became The Dance Factory and Sublime?
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Addicted to C2E

Default the PUNK FACTORY lol

Quote Originally Posted by Dialog View Post
    Is this the space that later became The Dance Factory and Sublime?

YUP , Same place ....

I'll try to find some photos of the club, there are a number of images floating around of the punk scene back then. most were taken around the club.

One note of interest. some of the painting was done by a Renoir.

Some of the bands
    Reverb Angles
    The Mods
    Trok 59 (Moe Burg)
    The Draggnetts
    SNFU
    Malibu Kens
    Backstreet
    Dammerung
    Psyche
    Office
    Bastille
    Last edited by BalancedOP; 01-02-2011 at 10:45 PM.

Addicted to C2E

Default so long DELUXE

Well I just got the word through the pipeline that DELUXE on 8116 Gateway Blvd will be closed by the end of the month!
    Guess the buisness was too slow to pay staff /rent/stock and power etc
    The remaining stock will be moved to GREASE MONKEY at 12913 -127 st .
    5 years + and it was a good run ....The owner tried to stock all those hard to find Auto related clothing lines on Whyte ave but the support from the vintage car scene just wasn't there .
    SO ...ANOTHER empty space in old strathcona !

Does anyone remember Sha, na, na's over there by the General hospital on Jasper? It was a bit of a dive but I had fundancing there in the early 1990's.

That it was and yes I do...I was a DJ there for a few years...tag teamed with dino...nice you remember...even if it was a "dive" :P

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Wizard View Post

That it was and yes I do...I was a DJ there for a few years...tag teamed with dino...nice you remember...even if it was a "dive" :P
    I always thought it was a cool little spot. A bar with a couple of tables and a dance floor just big enough to squeeze onto. A cozy little place.The music was always the best one could hear. I remember one of the DJ's who spun the music there. He also worked in the basement of the now demolished Kingsway hotel. He certainly knew his stuff.

I always thought it was a cool little spot. A bar with a couple of tables and a dance floor just big enough to squeeze onto. A cozy little place.The music was always the best one could hear. I remember one of the DJ's who spun the music there. He also worked in the basement of the now demolished Kingsway hotel. He certainly knew his stuff.

You're thinking of me. I was the DJ at Sha-Na-Na for about 3 years from 1991 to 1994, I then went on to the Gas Pump south side and so on. I ended up at Club 2000 in Kingsway mall in 1999.

I still DJ, now I'm at a retro bar here in Edmonton.

Cheers!

Will
    aka DJ TeK
    Last edited by DJTeK; 05-08-2011 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DJTeK View Post

You're thinking of me. I was the DJ at Sha-Na-Na for about 3 years from 1991 to 1994, I then went on to the Gas Pump south side and so on. I ended up at Club 2000 in Kingsway mall in 1999.

I still DJ, now I'm at a retro bar here in Edmonton.

Cheers!

Will
    aka DJ TeK

Where ya spinnin? I'd love to hear your work again. Good to hear from you.

Chris

Default will...

ok I know of you...Aggie spoke often of you

I'd rather C2E than work!

The Park Hotel, greyhound stop too. Hub Cigar. Bruin Inn. 99St.News. Owl Drugs. Grain Elevator with Bible verse at Ellerslie. Vista 33 at AGT tower . Mr. Johns at Ellerslie and the Shell with restaurant. welcome to Edmonton, Oil Capital of Canada rig and tourist info at 51 ave.

Default scandals

before named scandals, the nightclub was called 'yesterdays' during the disco era of the 70's......

Quote Originally Posted by darrellinyvr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by davidnorwoodink View Post
    When the Four-Seasons opened they had a disco in the basement anybody remember the name?

Scandals was in the basement of the Sheraton-Caravan. but I can't for the life of me remember what the name of the one in the Four-Seasons was. All I remember it had a "New York" theme. was it Manhattans?

The club in the Four Seasons was called 'Darlings'. Pretty hot, suave spot for a few years.
    Is this the same place that The Eagles were refused entry because of the dress code?
    Thank you Darlings was it! Manhattans was in the bottom of Scotia Place correct?

Right.....Yesterdays was a tad before my drinking/clubbing age, Since I started that back in 1980...Sniff!!!! I do miss that era it seemed so much more fun than dance clubs do now. Obviously a generational thing....

flashbacks? dont think it was mentioned yet?

and lets not forget Western Salvage Ltd........serving edmontons scrap metal needs for around 70 years.....gone since 1982...

chassismasters......likely edmontons first custom car and hot rod shop....

the steakloft and the embers....both places had great food!

welshes saddlery on 101st downtown.....for lee rider jeans exclusively in id 60's......and of course macleods department/hardare store......and who could forget slutker fur and hides?

trudeaus dry cleaners.......page the cleaners?

the Coffee Cup Cafe, corner of 97 st and jasper ave.....across from ww arcade hardware.....and the dreamland and gem theatres......

hey, and let us never forget "THE NEW WORLD" chinese food restaurant just nearby.....nor the old Army and Navy department store!

I vaguely recall a pub called....Runway 29?????? I cannot recall where that was. There was a eatery in the old YXD terminal that served up good meals as well.
    Yep

Redone about a year ago...had a fantastic aviation flavor overlooking the Muni, absolutely beautiful at night with the Airport lights and a great place to plane watch.

Still absolutely beautiful at night with whats left of the lights and a great place to plane watch.

Decor is now typical modern but ok, food and service is great...go there a few times a month after meetings.

The Air Harbour was in the Terminal, food excellent, piano player awesome, view spectacular.

The cafeteria downstairs was so-so

Tom

Good old Runway 29 pub, in the Best Western Motel at the end of Runway, err, 28!

Dang magnetic compass headings ...
    ... gobsmacked

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

or rwy 30...but who's checking...

I still frequent that pub...Tara and Kevin are awesome hosts...
    Onward and upward

Quote Originally Posted by dustyrustee View Post
    flashbacks? dont think it was mentioned yet?
    Yes it has been mentioned previously by "me" Since I used to work there way back when. It was originally on Jasper Avenue in the basement of where a restaurant is now 115th street in the late 70's but moved to the old warehouse on 104th Street (Which is now condo's) around 1979 and was the hottest dance club in the country for several years.

In the early 80's with "Flash" as it was known then being across the street from "The Roost" on weekends you would have hundreds of people lined up to get into both clubs to party and dance the night away. You would get "stamped" from both places and cross back and forth all night across 104th partying with everybody and anybody. Straight, Gay, Bi, Lesbian, clubbers would wait hours to get inside to dance. And there was rarely any problems in regards to violence perhaps just drunks couples fighting in which the police would show up quicky and solve the problems.

Celebrities and even the Stanley Cup winning Oilers would show up as it was one hot club. Edmonton hasn't had anything since in my opinion. Which is a shame since this is such a far bigger city than the party-town of 650,000 way back when. sigh....

[QUOTE=dustyrustee;402831]the Coffee Cup Cafe, corner of 97 st and jasper ave.....across from ww arcade hardware.....
    QUOTE]

I had an Uncle that owned it.

Also Waldens Rest on 104st and the short lived Kreig Afterhours also on 104st

[QUOTE=BalancedOP;402924]
    the Coffee Cup Cafe, corner of 97 st and jasper ave.....across from ww arcade hardware.....
    QUOTE]

Thats one I forgot about... The Krieg....

[QUOTE=darrellinyvr;402962]
    the Coffee Cup Cafe, corner of 97 st and jasper ave.....across from ww arcade hardware.....
    QUOTE]

Thats one I forgot about... The Krieg....

I might have the old neon sign in a storage shed. SNFU were pretty much residents, along with some incredible talented people that left Edmonton and made it big in TO, London and NY.

Just thought about this on the weekend. Anyone remember the Purple Dude on St Albert Trail by the cemetery.

Default Some not yet mentioned

Queen City Meats
    Tomboy Grocery Stores - There was one in wellington and at least one in Old Glenora.
    Comrie's Furniture Warehouse - which became 'The Brick'
    The Towne Cinema
    And all the drug stores that had machines to test vacuum tubes so you could get your TV working
    Red Rooster
    Ponderosa Steak Houses and I think one Bonnaza
    Mr. Mike's Steak near U of A
    L-mart Grocery warehoue
    And along St. Albert Trail-
    The Purple Dude Drive-in - they had great mushroom burgers- so yes I remember balancedop
    Jasper Auto Parts which often was a real eye sore

Oh and the Indian Hats that CFRNhanded out at Klondike Days and the tickets they handed out at the last day of school for kids, day at the ex.

And what I loved about downtown was the Christmas windows in the department stores back in the 60,s and 70's,

Melody Lane (sold sheet music and instruments)
    CHED building downtown on 107th St.
    Royal George Hotel
    McDermid Studios photographers, next to Edmonton Journal on 101 St.
    Edmonton Photo Supply, next to the old Tilden Parkade
    Canadian Electronics on 109St.and 107 Ave.
    A&W on 109 St. & 103 Ave.
    Pharoah's in the Garneau Theatre building
    Acme Novelty
    Windsor Bowl, on 109 St., at the south end of High Level Bridge
    Misericordia Hospital, 2 blocks south of the General Hospital
    Stork Diaper Service on 95 St. & 110 Ave., now K-Bro Linen Services (founded by Ray, Mike and Orest Kinasewich)
    Hurtig Books and Jasper & 105 St. (destroyed by fire) I used to play chess there on Saturdays

Quote Originally Posted by bornhere View Post
    Queen City Meats
    Tomboy Grocery Stores - There was one in wellington and at least one in Old Glenora.
    Comrie's Furniture Warehouse - which became 'The Brick'
    The Towne Cinema
    And all the drug stores that had machines to test vacuum tubes so you could get your TV working
    Red Rooster
    Ponderosa Steak Houses and I think one Bonnaza
    Mr. Mike's Steak near U of A
    L-mart Grocery warehoue
    And along St. Albert Trail-
    The Purple Dude Drive-in - they had great mushroom burgers- so yes I remember balancedop
    Jasper Auto Parts which often was a real eye sore

Oh and the Indian Hats that CFRN handed out at Klondike Days and the tickets they handed out at the last day of school for kids, day at the ex.

And what I loved about downtown was the Christmas windows in the department stores back in the 60,s and 70's,
    Careful now. Some might consider that racist. Please call them First Nations hats...That is all.

Careful now. Some might consider that racist. Please call them First Nations hats...That is all.
    LOL, this political correctness is offensive, insensitive and terribly hurtful.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wilson View Post

LOL, this political correctness is offensive, insensitive and terribly hurtful.
    Yes....yes it is!! LOL

Rosslyn bowling lanes I recall on 97st.

Sherbrook Bowling Lanes
    + .5cent bottles of Orange Crush or RC Cola.
    .5c bag of chips.

Saturday mornings at Town Cinema for Godzilla matinées.

Later.

Bonaventure Hotel Bar at Lunch then back to school.
    .25c draft

Mayfield hotel Bar.
    Now it’s the dinner theater and ball rooms.

Saturday Morning at the Edmonton Journal as a carrier taking all your money in from collecting. Then heading over to the Bay Cafeteria to see how may sundaes you could eat.

The iced toboggan run at Emily Murphy Park

Dog and Suds at Kingsway and Princess Elisabeth.

Buying a Christmas Tree from St Andrews Parrish Hall. There was a road where St Andrews Centre is now.

The bags of chips and bottles of Orange Crush etc still exist it's just they are $1.29 or $2.29 now LOL.

The bags of chips and bottles of Orange Crush etc still exist it's just they are $1.29 or $2.29 now LOL.
    And when I'm in Nunavut its 6 bucks

And when I'm in Nunavut its 6 bucks
    Good reason to avoid junk food and snacks....

Quote Originally Posted by ilabig64 View Post
    I don't know if this belongs here or not: Let's not forget the old Talking Yellow Pages. (493-9000). Always had fond memories of that. OR calling 421-1111 to get the time.

Hah! But do you remember when the phone # for the time was 432-1234?

Default Some places i remember....

The Mongolian Food Experience.... lol! Remember those?

The Klondike Inn (St.Albert) First when they were in the corner of the "field" and then relocated inside of "Village Tree Mall"...Which was later mostly destroyed and converted into god knows what passes for a mall in this day and age... GOD they had the BEST corn fritters on the planet.

Simpson Sears...By Kingsway Garden Mall...Before they built the mall... and later Sears became NAIT. (Yes, it once was Simpson Sears, Not Sears)

Consumers Distributing. God, their christmas catalog was EPIC for all kids.

Still can't believe the Rat Hole is gone.... Seems like just yesterday another truck was getting stuck in there. lol!

But most of all, I miss Woodwards. Their $1.49 day, Tuesday...Jingle is burned into my soul for the rest of life and i'm sure i'll pass it on to my kids as a story of EPIC scope and proportion.

OMG! And before i completely forget...the forever historical legend and legacy that was 930 CJCA and their 11-2 show with "Bill and Bill" *swoon*
    Bill Jackson and Bill Matherson...FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by canadian68 View Post
    OMG! And before i completely forget...the forever historical legend and legacy that was 930 CJCA and their 11-2 show with "Bill and Bill" *swoon*
    Matheson actually. And yes, it was the best in radio. Ched has nothing on CJCA.

Matheson actually. And yes, it was the best in radio. Ched has nothing on CJCA.

Yes! Silly fingers got in the way and mashed too many keys at once. lol!

Remember the old CJCA neon they had above the station? The big cat with the wagging tail? CJCA was i think the defining moment of Edmonton. it was the station everybody listened to, we grew up to our parent's listening to, and eventually we listened to it. Well, until someone had a massive brainfart and changed the format to christian talk radio. But didn't CHED have that same brainfart too at one point? Man, CHED was "THE" kid's station with all the hot new music.... It was the station everyone listened to at the lake all summer... wow. memories are just hammering me good.

OH! And anybody remember when Bill Matheson got an award for being the BEST weather guy in North America? Out of all of them out there...Billy was KING. And damn it, he was good. Him and the ol idaho high.

I had no idea Bill Matheson was a late and great business

^ In the sense that CJCA as a talk station is (and before that a top 40 competitor to CHED in the 60s) a late and great business - yes.

Canadian68

I agree with everything you have posted this last little bit.

or Town Cinema For Saturday Afternoon Matinees of Godzila movies

First One is Always Free

Default Anyone Have Any Photos of the old Johnstone Walker store on Jasper Ave?

Looking for a good picture of this former dept. store. My mom bought her wedding dress there back in '75.

C2E Super Addict

anyone remember The Pop Shoppe on 127th avenue around 77th or so street? mom used to get us a crate of pop once every couple of weeks....you'd just take the emptys back in and choose your own flavours, which they had many of including pineapple.
    Thank You For Finally Going Higher!

C2E Super Addict

my brother worked as a busboy in the late 70's at Edmonton's downtown Mother Tuckers.
    Thank You For Finally Going Higher!

Quote Originally Posted by Riverviewboy View Post
    Looking for a good picture of this former dept. store. My mom bought her wedding dress there back in '75.

I'm having people over later to stare at their phones,if you want to drop by

Default Can't remember a name of a clothing store

What a great topic! It's too bad Edmonton and surrounding areas have the 'big box' shopping complexes popping up. So boring and repetitive. I have a question regarding a store my older sister would take me to back in the 70's. It was downtown and for some reason I think on the boardwalk near the Old Spaghetti Factory. I can't remember the name!!!!

It was a fairly large clothing store with hardwood floors (I think) and a lot of their merchandise was 'hippy' style. Like tie dyed skirts, and 'Jesus sandals' (I called them that as a kid) Leather sandals where one loop would be around your big toe. They also sold incense..etc.. We frequented that store a lot and would take the bus from west Edmonton. Funny how it was no big deal to get on a transit bus without your parents with you.
    Last edited by buckybear; 10-05-2012 at 02:53 PM.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by buckybear View Post
    What a great topic! It's too bad Edmonton and surrounding areas have the 'big box' shopping complexes popping up. So boring and repetitive. I have a question regarding a store my older sister would take me to back in the 70's. It was downtown and for some reason I think on the boardwalk near the Old Spaghetti Factory. I can't remember the name!!!!

It was a fairly large clothing store with hardwood floors (I think) and a lot of their merchandise was 'hippy' style. Like tie dyed skirts, and 'Jesus sandals' (I called them that as a kid) Leather sandals where one loop would be around your big toe. They also sold incense..etc.. We frequented that store a lot and would take the bus from west Edmonton. Funny how it was no big deal to get on a transit bus without your parents with you.
    Not sure of the clothing store - but there was a rib restaurant called, "Bones" in or around there as well.

I remember that place but can't remember the name. It was downstairs in the Boardwalk. If I recall you entered off the avenue, not the street. This is before they glassed over the alley. Hmmmm....

I remember that place but can't remember the name. It was downstairs in the Boardwalk. If I recall you entered off the avenue, not the street. This is before they glassed over the alley. Hmmmm....
    Back in the 70's when they first restored the Boardwalk there were lots of "groovy" little independent stores in there. But I think the one you are thinking about was a "chain" called Oriental "something". I vaguely remember them because they eventually moved to Jasper Avenue between 101st Street and 102 Street on the northside next to the Coles that was still there before Commerce Place went up.

When I moved to Vancouver in 96 they still had the signage up for one on Granville Street though the store had been closed for years.

But they sold shoes, clothing, wicker furniture and hammocks and yes incense and heavily perfumed candles......

Black Sheep?

Back in the 70's when they first restored the Boardwalk there were lots of "groovy" little independent stores in there. But I think the one you are thinking about was a "chain" called Oriental "something". I vaguely remember them because they eventually moved to Jasper Avenue between 101st Street and 102 Street on the northside next to the Coles that was still there before Commerce Place went up.

When I moved to Vancouver in 96 they still had the signage up for one on Granville Street though the store had been closed for years.

But they sold shoes, clothing, wicker furniture and hammocks and yes incense and heavily perfumed candles......
    Ah. Maybe not Black Sheep. Orientique?

Quote Originally Posted by PJC View Post

Orientique! That's it!

Orientique! That's it!

Quote Originally Posted by PJC View Post

You have a BINGO! It was Orientique!!!! before they moved to Jasper Avenue That solves something that was pestering me forever! thanks!

Black Sheep had a store on the southside of Jasper around 106th street before moving into Edmonton Centre Phase 2 just before you walked across the new pedway into Eatons.

I remember them because I bought by first pair of leather pants in 1982 for $110....from that Black Sheep store.... After picking up the clubwear Tshirt (that would last for no more than weeks before falling apart in the wash) for Flashback at the "oh so hot Le Chateau" on the lower level.....LOL. 1982 such a cool year....hahahaha

Steak Loft - was that the place downtown, on 103rd or 104th with all kinds of wooden beams inside?

The place I'm thinking of was actually really cool with rough cut lumber and beams everywhere - back in the early 1980s. Maybe I'm thinking of some other restaurant.

I see that it survived in various locations until recently...

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ead.php?t=3443
    Last edited by KC; 11-05-2012 at 06:52 PM.

American Daily Lunch

http://www.edmontonhistory.ca/prelau...sourceKey=5288

Memories
    The Edmonton Public Library asked Edmonton’s citizens to tell the city’s story in a fresh way with family stories and photographs. You will find more than 200 stories and more than 400 images as you explore this section.
    Browse the collection by contributor or title.

Search Collection by Topic

http://www.edmontonhistory.ca/prelau...SectionKey=193

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Steak Loft - was that the place downtown, on 103rd or 104th with all kinds of wooden beams inside?

The place I'm thinking of was actually really cool with rough cut lumber and beams everywhere - back in the early 1980s. Maybe I'm thinking of some other restaurant.

I see that it survived in various locations until recently...

http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...ead.php?t=3443
    I seem to remember it being (at some point in time) on Jasper Ave across from the Mac next to the former CIBC building (it is just currently a parking lot)

Ciros restaurant; 102 street south of jasper edmonton

Default The Switchboard

Anyone remember that lounge, I believe it was in MaCaulay plaza in the basement circa late 70's early 80's. Had the stock exchange electronic ticker around the bar and great rueben sandwiches.

^ Where was this? The extreme south end where the gym is now? There used to be a pub there during the 90s.

^ Where was this? The extreme south end where the gym is now? There used to be a pub there during the 90s.
    Not sure SDM, haven't been there in decades. It was in the basement if that helps and you took an escalator down there.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by danimalrex View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Grovenor View Post
    We should launch a thread specifically devoted to Edmonton advertising jingles.

Four-Two-Six, Five-Oh, Five-Oh, If you're hungry, Call the Lydo... Free delivery.
    ^That one still pops into my head randomly, without any apparent triggers.

Chicken on the Way was gone long before I moved to Edmonton, but we were still subjected to their commercials.

lmao....pops into my head also for no reason really!!!!

Sound Connection......Listening to Vinyl on their stereo before u bought it!! Classic.

Default Many , many great Memories .... slightly hazy !!!

I have many fond memories of places and people while growing up in Edmonton but will admit I was born in Vegreville and now live in Vancouver . What comes to mind is the one person jewellery store on 101 st I think it was called Kelly's Jewellery . It had to be the tiniest jewellery store " ever " . The jewellery was displayed on mirrored shelves to make the tiny store look bigger . I believe it was owned by Mrs Kelly . Just down the street from there , on the corner of 101 st and Japer Ave. was a religious man who would stand there rain , shine or -25 with his Awake magazines and say " May I offer you a testimony of what Jesus did " . He would say this over and over again .... all day long for years .
    After a day of downtown shopping my parents and siblings would always make arrangements to meet and re-group at the lobby or restaurant of the King Edward Hotel which was on 101 st as well .
    Part of me wants to retire back to Edmonton .

Il Portico is gone too and has been closed nearly 5 yrs ago.

This restaurant is closed on Oct 3 , 2008
    Last edited by jagators63; 17-02-2013 at 08:32 PM.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

I've just gone through this entire thread, and can offer a few additions to the discussion.

The Tuck Shop on the University campus.
    Bohemian Maid Brewery
    Molson's Brewary
    Western Surplus Sales - They sold a lot of different military surplus items including electronics.
    Smalley's - Sold electronic components.
    Also, there used to be a lot of pawn shops on 101 Street in the 104 - 106 Street area.
    Healey Ford on Jasper Ave at about 107 Street.
    Industrial Patrol
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Partially Addicted to C2E

Denizen, the lounge was called "The Switchboard". It was next to the Northcote restaurant in the SE corner of McCauley.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Wizard View Post
    ok I know of you...Aggie spoke often of you
    HAHA! Wow .. Aggie.. not a name I've heard in a while. Man I miss Na's.. was a great time!

Edmonton Pet Shop on Rice Howard
    Purple Lantern on you guessed it
    Pig and Whistle on Jasper
    Ken & Joe's on you guessed it
    Palace of Sweets "
    Smitty's "
    The original Teddy's "
    The original Gas Pump "
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

Not sure if it was said but Baaco Pizza. I think they had a dozen stores in Edmonton during the late 80s... it all went downhill very fast. I still remember the restaurant on Calgary Trail was the last to close circa 1993 due to rodent issues. Yup, the health board shut them down and they packed it in.

I'd still take their pizza over 73's anyday.

^There's still one in Thompson, Manitoba. Looks like the only one left. Recognized the old logo but I'm not sure if I ever tried their food.

Not sure if it's been mentioned but McLeans ? restaurant in the west, near Westridge.

Quote Originally Posted by Denizen View Post
    Anyone remember that lounge, I believe it was in MaCaulay plaza in the basement circa late 70's early 80's. Had the stock exchange electronic ticker around the bar and great rueben sandwiches.

The Switchboard.

Classic.

And Top_Dawg remembers that for a while it was renamed McCauley Pub.

Then it shut down.

Rumour has it that Telus wanted them out of there.

Cause their staff would go down during the day for breaks and come back all pyssed up.

Same thing was happening at Epcor when the original Hawkeye's Pizza was in the bottom of Capital Square.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Douglas View Post
    I have many fond memories of places and people while growing up in Edmonton but will admit I was born in Vegreville and now live in Vancouver . What comes to mind is the one person jewellery store on 101 st I think it was called Kelly's Jewellery . It had to be the tiniest jewellery store " ever " . The jewellery was displayed on mirrored shelves to make the tiny store look bigger . I believe it was owned by Mrs Kelly . Just down the street from there , on the corner of 101 st and Japer Ave. was a religious man who would stand there rain , shine or -25 with his Awake magazines and say " May I offer you a testimony of what Jesus did " . He would say this over and over again .... all day long for years .
    After a day of downtown shopping my parents and siblings would always make arrangements to meet and re-group at the lobby or restaurant of the King Edward Hotel which was on 101 st as well .
    Part of me wants to retire back to Edmonton .
    And after a while there was some dim witted broad that started to cling to him.

She was like half his age or less.

And her belly got all big like she was pregnant.

And everybody accused preacher man of banging her.

What a trip down memory lane.

So much more than I really wanted to know!!

That preacher did ask to give testimony of what Jesus did - over and over and over again.

Yet, he wasn't in-your-face annoying. Just seemed sincere, if a mite obsessive.

Then there was Peter Jamieson - self-appointed town crier.

Now there was a character. Wish the like of him was still here.
    ... gobsmacked

McCauley Pub was open until about 2001 or so. It went away when McCauley plaza was renoed and turned into Telus Plaza or something like that. Now it's a gym for the tower tenants.

And speaking of, one of my favorite early 90s haunts - the Chase nightclub in the lower level of Scotia Place - is also now a private gym.

I mentioned this a few years ago.

Anyone remember the location of the old Greyhound bus terminal where Rickies would be now?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast