Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Edmonton's Late and Great Businesses... your memories please!

"L" was Sears and "Building M" was the Sears auto service garage.

It was unusual for the time to have underground parking at a department store.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    ^^^ I lived in Riverside Towers in 1979 I don't remember SportsWorld.

Anyone have a photo of the building?
    Top_Dawg doesn't have a photo.

LRT goes right beside it after it leaves Stadium Station heading towards Coliseum.

Used to be a bunch of graffitti on the east wall.

And an awning over the door that said Sportsworld.

If Top_Dawg remembers correctly it later became ( and maybe still is ) occupied by Lucki's Exercise Equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    ^ Would that be the location of the Ambassador Motor Inn? Back in the late 1980s it was known as the Ambo by my punker friends who went there for gigs.
    No, the Ambassador was the name of what is now the Day's Inn on 106 street between Jasper and 100 ave.

The basement had a big azz tavern where punk bands played up until the early 90s.
    Punk bands? More like blues bands because it was across the street from the old Embers. I don't recall seeing a lot of punk type people. Although most of the bands played Saturday afternoons. Hobbits was my old stomping grounds. Wes is still around but i don't know about Bruce.
    There were a lot of punk/newwave/Alt bands playing at the Ambassador during that time. Jerry Jerry and the Sons of Rhythm, Modern Minds/Troc 59, Joey Did/Malibu Kens/Jr. Gone Wild, The Forgotten Rebels, Idyl Tea, Rock'n'Roll Bitches, SNFU

http://www.gigcity.ca/2015/05/06/dead-venues-doc-honours-edmontons-fallen-clubs/

I may be mixing up some with the Riviera Rock Room, it was a long time ago.

Check out this video

https://vimeo.com/133657725
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 22-09-2016 at 08:40 AM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by Leafs Fan in Edmonton View Post
    I remember years ago working off 50th and the Yellowhead, there was a fantastic burger spot that was in a bus - this was over ten years ago. Is it still around?
    I'm close to the area and I haven't seen it.
    It was there until 2010 and then the city sold the land and a garage sits on the site today.

Going to take you all on a little walk in my old childhood stomping grounds. Growing up in Jasper Place. 60/70's

Favorite businesses;

Dunlop tire. Strange thing to mention for a kid but they had a popcorn machine in the front, and being a tire store the front area was almost always deserted. Open door quietly and you got to the popcorn machine with a bag. Somebody figured out how to trigger the mechanism by putting their hand up a chute. Free bags of popcorn everytime. Got caught a few times and just booted it. right to....Oh, also a *free* hot chocolate machine but that thing was tricky and better to bring a cup...

Jasper Theater. If we arrived promptly at 1:01 one of our friends would let us in the backdoor. The pass code was simply knock twice plus add a Cough, if the knock wasn't convincing. Yelling "let us in you doorknobs" was also effective and charming. Our friends would have choice seats reserved. What decadence. Free popcorn, Flics, Godzilla nirvana. If caught coming in through backdoor we'd just say we all went out for a smoke out back. We were under 10...and looking at us motley scrubs they believed us. Or felt sorry for us. Probably the latter

BP- (the old Dunlop tire, go figure) First Pizza ever tasted. This is a place where they made your pizza right in the front, full view, while you waited. Just stand there gawking and drooling. Smelled great. BP's was good back then, every pie fresh baked, good sauce, herbs. Parents would bribe us to "behave this time" if they left us alone all day and night and gave us cash for pizza for dinner while they went out partying. Great times, do whatever we liked, and pizza. No adult supervision, early 70's, everything is cool.

Victoria Pizza- Came later, great pizza, so much cheese you thought they had a dairy back there. Teenage haunt later became a favorite post drinking place just across the street from the Saxony Bar. (classy location I won't get into and rumored to be better than even the Diker, the Jasper Place Rebels occasional crash pad.) Oh, the Klondiker. As kids just hang around there like like little Tom Sawyers and Huck Finns waiting to see carnage in the graveyard. Place didn't let you down much. A few good dustups and guys getting tossed out on a good Saturday night only to resume fighting right on Stony pl rd or back alley. Free entertainment. We were nuts, we even heckled. (we all could run like jackrabbits back in the day and these were drunks anyway.)

Jasper Place Legion. Every Klondike days would go to see Klondike Mike walk his mule up the stairs to get into the damn place. Not sure why they made him walk up that way but it was quite the site to see the mule kicking, mike kicking and the two trying to make it up the long outside wooden stairs. Strange memory, had to be there. Kids hooting, "go Mike go. You the best!" We'd go in there with smiles painted on and they let us come in sometimes and play shuffleboard for free. We'd just say our parents were in there. Sometime lo and behold they were.

JPL (Legion not lodge, see above) Christmas tree lot. Ok this was my gig that I thought up all by myself. Would volunteer to sell Xmas trees. I had a smile that could charm a codgy teacher and a mannerism where people just wanted to buy the tree even if it was a Charlie Brown special. Adults loved me, I dunno...Proprietor would give me a quarter for every tree I sold, one for free for our family, and all the boughs I could carry home.

Jays- Unspectacular dimestore had Pinball machines out back. Tables you could tilt without them tilting. haha. Play for an hour on a quarter getting bonus balls and bonus balls..cheap entertainment was the thing. Place also had so much candy would make your teeth rot. Oh, Fooseball at the arcade at "Centennial Mall" I was the kid that would run the table playing hours for free. Rule was if you wanted on the table to play, you had to pay, and play who was running the table (me). I still play a mean game. Held me in good stead and cred when I years later worked at YESS. Showing kids trick shots all night was a great way to keep them out of trouble and get them talking.

Rexall drugs- One of the originals. Later became Clock drugs. Corner of 156st/Stony pl Rd. This also referred to as the "library" where you would make sure to read your monthly selection of comics for free right off the rack. When you weren't going to the once a week free bookmobile which was an EPL outreach book program that was great for us Jasper Place scrubs that had no library. Art Pauls book exchange was another renowned library. We would humor the proprietor by bringing in some comics for 2 for 1 exchange just so that we could hang out there for awhile like serious customers draped over the comic shelves.

Moon Palace. Welcome to Chinese food kid. Bet you can't come just once. Became another favorite late night haunt. People from neighborhood bars would spill into the place at any hours with the munchies. Perfect amenity for stuffing your face like theres no tomorrow.

Captains submarine. Independent. Right under the notorious "pool hall" Captains would serve up a Tuna submarine still with the best sauce ever tasted and just dripping tuna all over everything. So much tuna on that thing and toppings they didn't remain in business too many years.

Bobs better beef burgers. Big burgers, grilled, slathered in secret BBQ sauce, which was BBQ sauce. Big patty, big burger, a bottle of sauce on each burger, whats not to like...

Speaking of burgers Dizzy deans. The burger place that was even cheaper if you had a predilection for e coli (just kidding) or caused your stomach to ache worse than the just fledgling McDonalds.

Vienna Bakery. Pick out your BD cake once a year. Tons of cakes, pastries on display, free treats for kids, yum. If a bakery was in heaven this would be it.
    Right under there was Klondike lanes, also had a tour of duty as a pinsetter. Bowlers were drunk sadists back then. If you didn't have pins set up all manual like within 3.2 secs they haul off their 2nd and 3rd balls. Thankfully this was smaller ball 5 pin era. They don't hurt as much. We felt like QB's saying steamboats trying to get a ball away before the pass rush...Worst job there was looking after bowling shoes. oh jebus.

This one not in the neighborhood but parents couple times a year would take us out tenting at Alberta Beach Campground conveniently located next to the Alberta Beach bar and the Alberta beach dance hall. (not sure what it was called, it was a huge live band venue right next to the mini golf and the trampolines which we also loved.) Parents went to the bar, would tell us to collect bottles so we'd get free camping. We'd all make sure to sneak a full bottle of beer from our parents collections to start us off on our journey and in case we got thirsty..Between AB stores, bars, dance hall, and walking the ditches along the road out of AB the roads, bins, ditches were covered with bottles. (this was the 60's a time where drive/drink toss bottles out was a thing). Did I say people drinked quite a lot back then? We would collect so many bottles we'd be dragging them around and making off like bandits with much more than the camping fees in returnables. Favorite moment ever. Being tired, stopping at 1am from collecting bottles and listening outside as a pretty good cover band was playing encore Creams "Sunshine of your love" Iron Butterfly, Vanilla Fudge, all that stuff. Being that from the outside of the cinder block wall most of what you hear is base guitar got me always loving that instrument, never forgetting those sounds, and that was our pre age ten summers of the sixties in a nutshell. Made all the better if we found any girls similarly out on larks on that particular night. We'd even share some of our ill begotten loot of returnables and have lots of innocent giggles and pecks on cheeks holding hands.. wow, I got misty just thinking about it. Some Stand by me stuff happened all the time.

anyway, sordid as it is for your reading pleasure. Times were different then, now you know why I'm different, don't judge. haha
    Last edited by Replacement; 22-09-2016 at 10:10 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Thanks Replacement.

Yeah, Top_Dawg had a few pies from Victoria Pizza before they closed about 5 years ago.

They made great pizza.

And Top_Dawg still does dine-in at the Moon when he craves Chinese.

Delicious and not expensive at all like most places have become.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    I remember years ago working off 50th and the Yellowhead, there was a fantastic burger spot that was in a bus - this was over ten years ago. Is it still around?
    It was there until 2010 and then the city sold the land and a garage sits on the site today.
    That was the Motoraunt.

Before 50th St it was on a lot between 112 and 113 Streets on Jasper Ave. Had the greatest burgers including The Monster, big as a dinner plate, usually shared like a pizza. The upstairs had telephones at most tables that actually worked for a time. Just like the 50th St location the owners surrounded it over time with a deck and a garden.
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

C2E Long Term Contributor

Moon Palace is still open AFAIK
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I don't think that burger bus was on 50th. If I remember correctly it was on 66th street near Fort Road. Now It used to be lit up at night. Sure it's gone now.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bornandraised View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    There used to be a Sears near the traffic circle on 118 Ave. and 101 St. or Princess Elizabeth Ave. Does anyone know if the building itself is still there?
    It was on 118 Avenue around 103 Street -- I am guessing roughly across from the little strip mall that houses ABC Weddings. I believe NAIT had retro-fitted the building and used it for a while, but I'm nearly positive it's now been demo'd as there are a lot of new buildings in that area. I remember shopping at "Sears Park Plaza" as a kid, around 1974.

Not positive, but I believe that is referred to as "Building L" on the NAIT Campus map. Also not really in touch with whether it is still in use, but it used to be for engineering studies.

http://www.nait.ca/97571.htm

And I think it was always known as "Simpsons-Sears", not as "Sears." (although it became Sears with the move to Kingsway Garden Mall.)
    Now there is a big parking lot there so those buildings must be gone. I do recall that at one time there were houses on that wedge of land also. Army or Air Force housing, I think duplexes.
    "The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read." –Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    I don't think that burger bus was on 50th. If I remember correctly it was on 66th street near Fort Road. Now It used to be lit up at night. Sure it's gone now.
    66th and 124th. Gone since 2010

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...adieu-1.952419
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 22-09-2016 at 01:19 PM.

I'd rather C2E than work!

I remember the Corkscrew on Stony and 142 street across from the TD bank there. I used to live across the street 2000 by the Jasper Place Legion. The Jasper Place theatre was demoed a month back or so. Most people here remember the Saxony. Boston Pizza is long gone. I recall (still in JP) The Gold Nugget gas station on 156th. Gone is the IGA on Stony, Bela food land is still there.

There is a FB page called "I grew up in JP" I'll try and get the link.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Thanks Replacement.

Yeah, Top_Dawg had a few pies from Victoria Pizza before they closed about 5 years ago.

They made great pizza.

And Top_Dawg still does dine-in at the Moon when he craves Chinese.

Delicious and not expensive at all like most places have become.
    Thanks man. At times I thought was evoking you in that post. heh, I settled down and got married at some point.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

^^That would be interesting to see. Sad to hear though that the Jasper Theater is demolished. Alas, memories all that lasts.

As the Scots say "Heres tae us, theres none like us"

I feel a bit the same about JP'ers

It was a unique place that for a longtime had no sidewalks, just bogs of mud everywhere going to the store, ETS bus service that at one time didn't venture into JP until amalgamation of the town, its own Commercial Center, own services (what services it had)

Reminds me of one trip to Art Pauls book exchange. Me and me best friend were lugging our loot for trade in. Friend decides he wants to take a shortcut through an empty lot. looking ahead at the prime bog site encouraged by spring melt I say "that things been known to consume kids. I heard 3 kids got lost there last week" Undeterred friend starts sloshing with high mudboots into the abyss. Everything going fine for 100 ft but the beast is hungry and before long my friend is knee deep in the bog and over his boots. He can't move. one of his boots comes off. He's of course yelling for help and falls in the mess enclosing on him like quicksand. I manage to extricate him but in the course of grabbing him I'm also covered in mud. Could never find the friends other boot and undeterred we traipse off covered in mud from head to toe to the book exchange. Somewhere behind us the bog lets off a big burp. Goes back to sleep awaiting for another kid another day. Oddly enough our bags of comics being the one thing not covered in mud. We consider running through a car wash but think better of it. We dry off a bit and start knocking mud off of each other. Anybody would thing we're having a fight. Actually it was half on after my friend hailing me into the bog from hell.

Stomp into the book exchange where everybody looks on at us in horror. Like we're zombies that just extricated ourselves from a dank graveyard looking for fresh humans. We look worse even than the average JP denizen on a Saturday morn...

Art Paul gives us his usual look of disdain, but see's we got bags of comics for trade in and welcomes us fine lads in..

Another day in paradise
    Last edited by Replacement; 24-09-2016 at 11:40 AM.

Has the movie theatre at Meadowlark Park been mentioned?

C2E Posting Power
    Below that old white mountain, just a little southeast of Nome

Speaking of JP Stony Plain Rd and 149 Street. Domo, the old London Drugs store with The PoP Shoppe beside it, Goonies Restaurant...

C2E Posting Power

I remember the Corkscrew on Stony and 142 street across from the TD bank there. I used to live across the street 2000 by the Jasper Place Legion. The Jasper Place theatre was demoed a month back or so. Most people here remember the Saxony. Boston Pizza is long gone. I recall (still in JP) The Gold Nugget gas station on 156th. Gone is the IGA on Stony, Bela food land is still there.

There is a FB page called "I grew up in JP" I'll try and get the link.
    Ah the Saxony....remember when my old man would leave me in his pedophile looking van - the one with the chevrons on the back panel - while he went in the lounge there and wheeled bitches all night...good times sitting in the van staring out the window for 8hrs + on weekends....

This is my first post as a new member so hopefully this will get through to you! I'm originally from Edmonton but have been living in Scotland for the last 25 years. Many years ago my sister drove me to 'Harlem Hattie's Chicken Inn late 50's/early 60's and this always stayed in my memory. Several years ago (through my Fathers diligence) I was put in touch with a lady in Edmonton (Mrs Myrna Wisdom) who was a relative of Hattie Melton. Mrs Wisdom sent me a couple of photocopies of the old restaurant and I was able to do a watercolour painting from this. As the photocopies were not very clear, I did take some small creative liberties. I am trying to find better pics of 'Hattie's' as well as several other older restaurants such as 'Ciro's', The Purple Lantern and 'Mikes Newstand'. Any guidance for this info would be so appreciated! Sorry for such a long message!

Default Will.......please contact me!

[QUOTE=DJTeK;552340]
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ Wizard View Post
    ok I know of you...Aggie spoke often of you
    HAHA! Wow .. Aggie.. not a name I've heard in a while. Man I miss Na's.. was a great time![/QUOTE

Will.....we used to work together at the kingsway bud! Please reply to this and get ahold of me! Have a question for u!

My very first post ANYWHERE! The reason I'm going to the trouble of doing this, is because I noticed a few people talking about the old Kingsway hotel. Now I know this is a COMPLETE Longshot.....but I'm desperate! I'm hoping SOMEBODY out there can help me!?! I want to right someone I wronged LONG ago from the Kingsway! I lost touch with her back in 05.....and would give ANYTHING to just have someone help me find her! I just can't remember her last name, making this almost impossible to figure out! I won't mention her first name here.....as I want whoever contacts me to tell me who I'm talking about by the description I provide! This will weed out any time wasters. She was the Japanese woman who worked at the kingsway hotel, and was usually found close to Ernie! Don't remember her position there, which is a little embarrassing considering I worked there (under her I suppose) for about a year back in 03-04!?! But she was always dressed beautifully, and again....could usually be spotted by the owner Ernie! I am SO desperate to find her again, to right a wrong, that anybody who can help me with her FULL name....or better yet, locate her now.....I will gladly compensate financially!!! Please don't reply to me or this post if you CAN'T be of some legitimate help! To those who CAN help......please do, as the appreciation would be enormous!

Thank you all

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Can anyone tell me the former name of the Comfort Inn at 100 ave and 105 st. We had friends in town last weekend on business and met them there. All week I have been racking my brain. Top of the fifth street hill on the right, for years and years. Please help.

Thanks TD but before that even, like 50s, 60s, and 70s
    Midtowner ?
    Last edited by Big Bird; 31-05-2017 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    Can anyone tell me the former name of the Comfort Inn at 100 ave and 105 st. We had friends in town last weekend on business and met them there. All week I have been racking my brain. Top of the fifth street hill on the right, for years and years. Please help.

Thanks TD but before that even, like 50s, 60s, and 70s
    Midtowner ?
    For many years it was the Renford Inn on Fifth aka Inn on Fifth, but for the life of me I still can't remember the name of the piano bar downstairs (circa 70s-80s).

SB

^ Well, I believe that when I started frequenting the place, mid-90s or so, the downstairs bar had some sort of nautical themed name, like the Ship or the Schooner or something like that. But I can't quite recall what it was exactly.

Apparently, at least one of the bars there is still called Dockside Pub, so maybe that's the seafaring name I was recalling. But then, I think the 70s/80s name would have been something different.

Yeah, to Top_Dawg's recollection the dungeon like bar downstairs was called ' The George and Dragon ' or something like that.

Was a popular place for dart players.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345