Results 1 to 76 of 76

Thread: Best wine store

  1. #1

    Default Best wine store

    What are the best wine stores in Etown? i'm looking to widen my choices with wines from countries such as Mexico, Israel, Argentina, etc...you know, wine from countries you don't usually see at the regular liquor store...(like Chile, Spain, Italy, Australia, Germany)
    any suggestions?

  2. #2
    First One is Always Free
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Sherbrooke Liquor had some wines I had been looking for for a long time, surprisingly. They're known for their beer selection, but you may want to try them, or at least give them a call if you're looking for something in particular. Their address is 11819 and St. Albert Trail, or you can call them at 455-4556.

    Another I would recommend--as they also had wines I had been on a long-time search for--is deVine Wines, located on 10111 Ave and 104th St. Again you can also call them at 421-9463.

    Hope this helps! G'luck finding what you're looking for!

  3. #3
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    3,582

    Default

    123rd Street Liquor Store.

    They are a mainstream liquor store but they carry a lot of inventory that other stores don't.

    They have a very large wine selection, and although Top_Dawg isn't a wine drinker he often sees people packing a box or two of different wines when he's impatiently waiting in line to buy his Axe Head, Big Bear and Boxer beer.

    Incidentally, for all you ' fruity ' beer drinkers on C2E, they also have a whole heap of Miller Chill and Bud Lite Lime cases cluttering up the store so go buy these up and get them out of Top_Dawg's way.

    Their beer prices were way out of whack when they first took over from the Chinese family who ran the store a few years ago, but recently they came back down to earth and their prices are as good if not better than everywhere else.

    Location: 123 Street & 105 Avenue .

    Top_Dawg's word of advice: Avoid Liquor Depot like the plague - they are a total rip-off.

  4. #4
    First One is Always Free
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    123rd Street Liquor Store.

    They are a mainstream liquor store but they carry a lot of inventory that other stores don't.

    They have a very large wine selection, and although Top_Dawg isn't a wine drinker he often sees people packing a box or two of different wines when he's impatiently waiting in line to buy his Axe Head, Big Bear and Boxer beer.

    Incidentally, for all you ' fruity ' beer drinkers on C2E, they also have a whole heap of Miller Chill and Bud Lite Lime cases cluttering up the store so go buy these up and get them out of Top_Dawg's way.

    Their beer prices were way out of whack when they first took over from the Chinese family who ran the store a few years ago, but recently they came back down to earth and their prices are as good if not better than everywhere else.

    Location: 123 Street & 105 Avenue .

    Top_Dawg's word of advice: Avoid Liquor Depot like the plague - they are a total rip-off.
    As a former employee of Liquor Depot, I second this. They also carry a very typical selection of basic wines that you can find at any other store for way, way cheaper.

    To save you the headache: Liquor Depot, Liquor Barn, Wines & Spirits, OK Liquor, Grapes & Grains Liquor, Liquor World... all owned by the Depot, and I'm sure there are others I couldn't grab off the top of my head.

    Also, to add to my earlier suggestions: West Edmonton Mall has a wine/liquor store (Aligra Wine & Spirits) located within the mall, lower floor, near the lesser-visited area by the Silver City Cinemas (the theatres with the dragon in the lobby). Basically, head that way, and when you see a tattoo parlour called Orchid (should be on your right, just past Two Guys with Pipes), walk towards it and then take a left once you're almost at the shop; Aligra will be directly ahead.

  5. #5
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    43,973

    Default

    Devine on 104 Street. Amazingly informative and knowledgeable staff, good selection.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  6. #6

    Default

    Top Dawg's right about 123rd. It's dumpy, but they have an incredible selection for wine geeks. My other reccos:

    DeVine Wines - http://devinewines.ca

    Liquor Select - http://www.liquorselect.com/

    Keg'n'Cork - http://www.kegncork.com/

    Bin 104 - http://www.bin104.com/

    Vinomania - http://www.vinomaniawines.com/

    Vines in Riverbend - 2331 Rabbit Hill Rd

    Cristall's Wine Market - 5854 111 Street NW

    Grapes & Grains (three locations in Edmonton area)

  7. #7
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    3,569

    Default

    I'll second Bin 104.

  8. #8
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    43,973

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    I'll second Bin 104.
    but it is in a strip mall
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  9. #9
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    3,569

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    I'll second Bin 104.
    but it is in a strip mall
    Well done, Sherlock.

  10. #10
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    30,033

    Default

    What's the name of that place off High Street, in that strip mall beside Esso? Wine Cellar?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    What's the name of that place off High Street, in that strip mall beside Esso? Wine Cellar?
    thanks for all the suggestions so far
    shebrooke is amazing for beer selection (the best in the city, in fact) but terrible for wine, imo. i think even the superstore liquor has a better selection than them...
    i will head out to a store or two this evening to snag a few bottles, i will drop by a couple stores suggested here on the s.s ... and then next week I'll visit a couple of downtown options.

  12. #12
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    3,582

    Default

    Well CigHip, just bear in mind that if you don't find anything to your liking at DeVine's, then just a block and a half north is the Grand Hotel Liquor Store where there is no shortage of Molson Merlot to tickle your palate. Smuggle a few cans into the A&Dub and it complements the sirloin burger and onion ring combo very nicely.

    A votre sante !

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    What's the name of that place off High Street, in that strip mall beside Esso? Wine Cellar?
    I knew I forgot one. Yes, the Wine Cellar - http://www.thewinecellar.ab.ca/

    They specialize in Burgundy and Bordeaux.

    By the way, CigarHippo, if you want to try a great wine from a different country, try Lebanon's Chateau Musar. It's controversial among us geeks, but it truly is excellent, IMHO.

    It retails for about $50 a bottle, but you can also find the younger version, Hochar Pere et Fils for considerably less. Typically, 123rd or Grapes & Grains on 170th carry Musar.

    If you do decide to go with the Chateau Musar, I recommend decanting for an hour.
    Last edited by Dusty Bear; 20-10-2009 at 02:43 PM.

  14. #14
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    3,582

    Default

    Decanting ? For an hour ?

    See that's the problem with vino. Never know how it's gonna affect the ol' system.

    With beer, Top_Dawg hangs it, decants a big soaker in a couple of minutes, zips up, and it's back to the races. No need to even wash his paws.

  15. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    What's the name of that place off High Street, in that strip mall beside Esso? Wine Cellar?
    I knew I forgot one. Yes, the Wine Cellar - http://www.thewinecellar.ab.ca/

    They specialize in Burgundy and Bordeaux.

    By the way, CigarHippo, if you want to try a great wine from a different country, try Lebanon's Chateau Musar. It's controversial among us geeks, but it truly is excellent, IMHO.

    It retails for about $50 a bottle, but you can also find the younger version, Hochar Pere et Fils for considerably less. Typically, 123rd or Grapes & Grains on 170th carry Musar.

    If you do decide to go with the Chateau Musar, I recommend decanting for an hour.
    i've been to grapes and grains, very good store imo...i will give that Lebanon wine a shot..i am on a mission: to focus on wine from every non-regular country for a week...so this week i was planning on doing an Argentina week, then next week will go with another country, depending on what i can find...
    as the winter slowly creeps up into our fair city, i find myself indulging more in wine and departing from my beloved beer. my wine consumption is about zero in the summertime and climbs to about 80% during the cold months...so it's for me to stock up.
    PS: dusty, why is that lebanon wine controversial among you geeks? (or did you mean Greeks?)
    PPS: hey Dawg, that 123rd store sounds real good...where is it close to, any landmarks closeby?

  16. #16
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    3,582

    Default

    It is kitty corner from a Jewish funeral chapel.

    Between the old Molson Brewery and Western Cycle on 104 Avenue, only one block north.

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CigarHippo View Post
    PS: dusty, why is that lebanon wine controversial among you geeks? (or did you mean Greeks?)
    PPS: hey Dawg, that 123rd store sounds real good...where is it close to, any landmarks closeby?
    Geeks.

    Musar had a reputation for volatile acidity in some bottles. (It's one of the ways wine can spoil and is also known as vinegar taint, which gives you an idea of the effect it produces.) However, the winemaker resolved the problem years ago. In fact, I recently drank a '72 and encountered no problems whatsoever.

    CigarHippo, some of the countries you mentioned are trying to develop wines around a signature grape. That might be worth looking into. For example, Chilean carmenere, Argentinian malbec and Uruguayan tannat. (All are originally French grapes.)

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CigarHippo View Post
    PS: dusty, why is that lebanon wine controversial among you geeks? (or did you mean Greeks?)
    PPS: hey Dawg, that 123rd store sounds real good...where is it close to, any landmarks closeby?
    Geeks.

    Musar had a reputation for volatile acidity in some bottles. (It's one of the ways wine can spoil and is also known as vinegar taint, which gives you an idea of the effect it produces.) However, the winemaker resolved the problem years ago. In fact, I recently drank a '72 and encountered no problems whatsoever.

    CigarHippo, some of the countries you mentioned are trying to develop wines around a signature grape. That might be worth looking into. For example, Chilean carmenere, Argentinian malbec and Uruguayan tannat. (All are originally French grapes.)
    Thanks Dusty, you do indeed sound like quite the wine geek, which is great...
    Argentinian wine is amazing, but havent tried any here...i drank lots when on a trip to buenos aires a few years ago

    may i trouble you with a question...
    the other day i tasted an israel wine at a friends house which was really good, i enquired where she bought it...well, Israel...it's called Barkan, it was a Merlot...
    anyways, have you seen any Israeli wine in Edmonton? TIA... i plan on buying that lebanese wine soon.

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CigarHippo View Post
    Thanks Dusty, you do indeed sound like quite the wine geek, which is great...
    Argentinian wine is amazing, but havent tried any here...i drank lots when on a trip to buenos aires a few years ago

    may i trouble you with a question...
    the other day i tasted an israel wine at a friends house which was really good, i enquired where she bought it...well, Israel...it's called Barkan, it was a Merlot...
    anyways, have you seen any Israeli wine in Edmonton? TIA... i plan on buying that lebanese wine soon.
    Hmm, I haven't really tried much Israeli wine and most of what you can find here is in the style of Manishewitz, i.e. overly sweet. I'm sure there are some decent ones to be found in Edmonton, though. This website might help: http://www.alberta-liquor-guide.com/

    I've also seen Greek wines at Keg'n'Cork and deVine. And not just retsina, but obscure grapes like xinomavro.

  20. #20
    Partially Addicted to C2E
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Downtown, Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    392

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CigarHippo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    What's the name of that place off High Street, in that strip mall beside Esso? Wine Cellar?
    I knew I forgot one. Yes, the Wine Cellar - http://www.thewinecellar.ab.ca/

    They specialize in Burgundy and Bordeaux.

    By the way, CigarHippo, if you want to try a great wine from a different country, try Lebanon's Chateau Musar. It's controversial among us geeks, but it truly is excellent, IMHO.

    It retails for about $50 a bottle, but you can also find the younger version, Hochar Pere et Fils for considerably less. Typically, 123rd or Grapes & Grains on 170th carry Musar.

    If you do decide to go with the Chateau Musar, I recommend decanting for an hour.
    i've been to grapes and grains, very good store imo...i will give that Lebanon wine a shot..i am on a mission: to focus on wine from every non-regular country for a week...so this week i was planning on doing an Argentina week, then next week will go with another country, depending on what i can find...
    as the winter slowly creeps up into our fair city, i find myself indulging more in wine and departing from my beloved beer. my wine consumption is about zero in the summertime and climbs to about 80% during the cold months...so it's for me to stock up.
    PS: dusty, why is that lebanon wine controversial among you geeks? (or did you mean Greeks?)
    PPS: hey Dawg, that 123rd store sounds real good...where is it close to, any landmarks closeby?
    I'm currently on vacay in SE Europe - Sophia, Bulgaria right now to be precise... If you are looking for something different, i've tasted some REALLY good Bulgarian wines here.. the signature grape from this region in Mavrud (sp?) ... When I get back i'm going to see what I can find in the city... but there are quite a few Bulgarian wines these days gaining international recognition...

  21. #21
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    3,582

    Default



    Good for you Jess !

    Tell C2E a little about what is going on.

    What's the weather like in Sophia ?

    What is the mood of the locals ?

    Do you like the food ?

    Top_Dawg has heard that there is some unbelievable architecture in Bulgaria, especially Sophia.


    Play hard and have fun !

  22. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CigarHippo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    What's the name of that place off High Street, in that strip mall beside Esso? Wine Cellar?
    I knew I forgot one. Yes, the Wine Cellar - http://www.thewinecellar.ab.ca/

    They specialize in Burgundy and Bordeaux.

    By the way, CigarHippo, if you want to try a great wine from a different country, try Lebanon's Chateau Musar. It's controversial among us geeks, but it truly is excellent, IMHO.

    It retails for about $50 a bottle, but you can also find the younger version, Hochar Pere et Fils for considerably less. Typically, 123rd or Grapes & Grains on 170th carry Musar.

    If you do decide to go with the Chateau Musar, I recommend decanting for an hour.
    i've been to grapes and grains, very good store imo...i will give that Lebanon wine a shot..i am on a mission: to focus on wine from every non-regular country for a week...so this week i was planning on doing an Argentina week, then next week will go with another country, depending on what i can find...
    as the winter slowly creeps up into our fair city, i find myself indulging more in wine and departing from my beloved beer. my wine consumption is about zero in the summertime and climbs to about 80% during the cold months...so it's for me to stock up.
    PS: dusty, why is that lebanon wine controversial among you geeks? (or did you mean Greeks?)
    PPS: hey Dawg, that 123rd store sounds real good...where is it close to, any landmarks closeby?
    I'm currently on vacay in SE Europe - Sophia, Bulgaria right now to be precise... If you are looking for something different, i've tasted some REALLY good Bulgarian wines here.. the signature grape from this region in Mavrud (sp?) ... When I get back i'm going to see what I can find in the city... but there are quite a few Bulgarian wines these days gaining international recognition...
    duuuude!!! what are you doing in Sophia!!! my parents are from Bulgaria.!!! awesome country, been there several times, and yes, their wine is very good, but try the Rakia, their signature liquor, in particular the Peshtershka brand....if you'll be around there a bit more visit Veliko Ternovo and Varna, my favorite towns in Bulgaria... have fun and check back in here and tell us how it went.

  23. #23
    Partially Addicted to C2E
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Westmount
    Posts
    125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    It is kitty corner from a Jewish funeral chapel.
    That's actually Temple Beth Ora, a synagogue. It does look kind of grim from the outside but it is a cheerful place inside, a Reform congregation with a young female Rabbi.

    Good news to hear that 123rd has dropped their prices on beer. I've been going elsewhere since they changed owners.

    I don't think the Chateau Louis liquor store has been mentioned. A small place but great beer selection, amazing scotch selection (best in city?) and small but CHEAP wine selection.

    For great, knowledgeable staff and interesting wines there is the independent, Liquor Select, on 149th St and 89th.

    Forgot - oddball wines - Chateau Louis has some Ukrainain wines, off to the left on the wall when you come in. They appear to be fortified wines, sherry stuff? Hideous I bet but interesting!
    Last edited by Libarbarian; 21-10-2009 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Forgot!

  24. #24
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    3,582

    Default

    Well thanks for posting Libs.

    Top_Dawg was getting a complex. He simply thought that it was his obnoxious disposition that they wanted to be rid of.

    For a long time they were arrogant, high handed and treated customers like they were an inconvenience.

    But suddenly about mid-summer Top_Dawg noticed a remarkable change in attitude. And prices.

    Cheers !

  25. #25
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    5,597

    Default

    The store on the north side of the 101 and 102 (stony) merge at about 141 Street
    has a very good selection as well

    We quit 123 street when we saw wines that were up 20-25% to elsewhere
    Used to be the best store in town
    The south side store in ye olde strathy-cona on 103 street Cowgary Trail north by mickey dees (80 ave?) is pretty good as well

    Do many of the pro closure members of C2E seriously shop at the shadow louie , come on now
    Last edited by Blueline; 21-10-2009 at 01:30 PM.

  26. #26

    Default

    Hmm, I haven't really tried much Israeli wine and most of what you can find here is in the style of Manishewitz, i.e. overly sweet. I'm sure there are some decent ones to be found in Edmonton, though. This website might help: http://www.alberta-liquor-guide.com/

    I've also seen Greek wines at Keg'n'Cork and deVine. And not just retsina, but obscure grapes like xinomavro.[/QUOTE]

    Manishwitz sux, really bad, it's awful, as are most of the passover or kosher wines i tried (i have jewish friends that invite this heretic to their religious gatherings)...but have heard good raves for Israeli wine...
    Went last nite to grapes and grains and picked up that Musar lebanese wine..they didn't have the cheaper version. i will pop the bottle on the weekend and see how good it is. it better be for $54 bux. snaged me a couple of argentinian malbecs to give them try as well... i will continue my pilgrimage tonite... thanks for the link btw...

  27. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Libarbarian View Post
    Forgot - oddball wines - Chateau Louis has some Ukrainain wines, off to the left on the wall when you come in. They appear to be fortified wines, sherry stuff? Hideous I bet but interesting!
    Crimea is apparently an old wine region. I don't know about fortified wines from Ukraine, but many are dessert-style, sweet wines. I had a late harvest muscat recently that was OK. Picked it up at Bin 104.

    I forgot about the extensive scotch selection at Chateau Louis. Mmmmm, scotch.

  28. #28

    Default

    If you are looking for selection Devine is great, if you are looking for service Devine is awful.

  29. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tzoidboy View Post
    If you are looking for selection Devine is great, if you are looking for service Devine is awful.
    Really? I've always found them to be incredibly helpful. They've always had excellent recommendations in a range of prices when I was looking for something to pair with dinner.

  30. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tzoidboy View Post
    If you are looking for selection Devine is great, if you are looking for service Devine is awful.
    Wow. Entirely different experience from my perspective. Ask them questions, they're more than happy to assist you. If you're expecting a used car salesmen experience, well then no, this is not the place for you. I can spend 10 minutes checking out wine by myself with no one bothering me, but if I want to ask a question, they've always been more than happy to have extended conversations. Sometimes as far as pulling out samples!

  31. #31
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    43,973

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MJ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzoidboy View Post
    If you are looking for selection Devine is great, if you are looking for service Devine is awful.
    Wow. Entirely different experience from my perspective. Ask them questions, they're more than happy to assist you. If you're expecting a used car salesmen experience, well then no, this is not the place for you. I can spend 10 minutes checking out wine by myself with no one bothering me, but if I want to ask a question, they've always been more than happy to have extended conversations. Sometimes as far as pulling out samples!
    concur in full
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  32. #32
    Partially Addicted to C2E
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Downtown, Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    392

    Default

    Top Dawg and Cigar Hippo... The SO and I actually cycled into Sophia yesterday... we've been on a 3-week bike trip starting in Istanbul, through northern Greece and now into Bulgaria. We spent a few days in Sandanski (Bulgaria) and did our vino tasting there (in Melnik actually)

    First impressions of Sofia - Love it! Loads of history, impressive architecture, a very walkable city, not to mention the fact that I can buy a beer out of some dude's window across the street from my hotel lol!

    Food is OK, I enjoyed Greece and Turkey a bit more from a culinary perspective (but I am of Greek decent so I'm kind of biased there). Locals are friendly, but not a lot of English outside of Sophia, and am struggling a bit with the cyrillic alphabet (although I can read Greek and a lot of it is similar)

    The weather has not been great - we dodged a few bullets from a cycling standpoint... but it is gorgeous today! +22 and Sunny!

    Thanks for the reco on the Rakia! maybe we'll try that this evening Maybe I'll post some of my pics when i get back!

  33. #33
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    3,582

    Default

    Quick update on 123rd Street.

    Top_Dawg hadn't been there for a couple of months.

    Stopped in this weekend.

    Wow !

    Remarkable change.

    They are undergoing reno - it's about half complete. Retail space shrunk in size a little but is starting to look very good. And as stated previously, these new owners are the total opposite of the previous owners. Treated Top_Dawg as if they wanted his business.

    He's impressed.

  34. #34
    First One is Always Free
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Windsor Park
    Posts
    15

    Default

    Some sad news for wine lovers...

    After being bought out in 2007, Cristall's Wine Market is being converted to a Liquor Depot. Goodbye, Premier Cru, Super Tuscan, Barolo and Grange, hello 15 under $15. I'm sure other tenants of Lendrum Centre like Jack's Grill and SunTerra will be just thrilled with the new neighbor.

  35. #35
    Plug C2E into my veins!!!
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Westwood
    Posts
    16,039

    Default

    Very sad news indeed.... don't forget to also say goodbye to great service and knowledgeable staff.

  36. #36
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    30,033

    Default

    I find it really odd that Gurvinder Bhatia appears frequently on Global on Sunday mornings to promote the wines he is selling, yet his Vinomania shop on Jasper Ave is always closed on Sundays. You would think he would open on Sundays to take advantage of Global's viewership.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  37. #37

    Default

    Sublime Wines in Sherwood Park.
    http://www.sublime-wines.com/

  38. #38
    C2E Posting Power
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Beaumont, ab
    Posts
    575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by esmeadows View Post
    Some sad news for wine lovers...

    After being bought out in 2007, Cristall's Wine Market is being converted to a Liquor Depot. Goodbye, Premier Cru, Super Tuscan, Barolo and Grange, hello 15 under $15. I'm sure other tenants of Lendrum Centre like Jack's Grill and SunTerra will be just thrilled with the new neighbor.
    Not a big deal.......probably only a handful of people in this town that can afford 1st growths anyway.....I buy my affordable 3rd growths on on-line auction houses....still go into the mid 500's.....

  39. #39
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    6,395

    Default

    Wine & Beyond has pretty much anything anybody would ever need from a liquor store, let alone a wine store.

  40. #40
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    5,597

    Default

    Have heard that the CO OP one exit east - south off the "Hound-Eh?! is pretty good as well
    Last edited by Blueline; 20-11-2012 at 12:31 PM.
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

  41. #41
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    6,395

    Default

    yeah Co-op is pretty solid too. I'd recommend either to anybody looking for a bottle of wine or beer that they can't find in their local store.

  42. #42

    Default

    The Wine Cellar is quite good as well 12421 102 Ave.

    All they do is wine nothing else.

    They do broker/import a tonne of special orders/cases for customers, the majority of their commerce.




    Devine Wines and Spirits is another very good shop 10111 104 St.

    One of the best Port selections/collections in Canada.
    Last edited by Frank Wilson; 20-11-2012 at 03:53 PM.

  43. #43
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    30,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Quick update on 123rd Street.

    Top_Dawg hadn't been there for a couple of months.

    Stopped in this weekend.

    Wow !

    Remarkable change.

    They are undergoing reno - it's about half complete. Retail space shrunk in size a little but is starting to look very good. And as stated previously, these new owners are the total opposite of the previous owners. Treated Top_Dawg as if they wanted his business.

    He's impressed.
    I keep forgetting about this place because of their out-of-the-way location, but tonight I found the small (375 mL) bottles of Moet et Chandon that is hard to find in other shops.

    They are now known as City Cellars...go check 'em out.
    http://www.citycellarsedmonton.com/

    p.s. I miss Top_Dawg
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  44. #44

    Default

    Wine & Beyond is expensive... Bottle of Joie (BC) sold for 24-26 at Sherwood sells for $34+ at W&B.

    Guess they gotta pay rent somehow.

  45. #45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
    Wine & Beyond is expensive... Bottle of Joie (BC) sold for 24-26 at Sherwood sells for $34+ at W&B.

    Guess they gotta pay rent somehow.
    Their mark-up/price structure seems a bit chaotic, mind you it's the same for all their stores: Liquor Depot, Liquor Barn, and a few others that I cannot recall.

    There are a few things exclusive to Wine and Beyond as well.

    Mind you the most expensive shop in town is Bin 104, high mark-up on everything wine, whisky, whatever.

  46. #46
    Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    10,311

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wilson View Post
    The Wine Cellar is quite good as well 12421 102 Ave.
    All they do is wine nothing else.
    They do broker/import a tonne of special orders/cases for customers, the majority of their commerce.

    Devine Wines and Spirits is another very good shop 10111 104 St.
    One of the best Port selections/collections in Canada.
    we picked up a not common scotch "on sale" at the wine cellar that we ran across elsewhere a couple of weeks later for $30 less than the "sale" price so aren't impressed with the pricing.

    concur that devine wines is "another very good shop".

    the safeway liquor store at palisades has a surprisingly large selection for a small store and is priced competitively - i think the manager has quite a bit of say on what the store stocks and she has some well-priced interesting wines we have not seen elsewhere in edmonton.

    the co-op and sobey's liquor stores are also said to be quite good offerings on selection and pricing (and don't forget costco for pricing if not for selection - you can always serve it from a decanter rather than the bottle but the wines themselves are pretty decent).

    most liquor barns/liquor depots seem to have cut back to offering pretty main stream selections only, possibly because of the small size of most of their outlets (or at least the ones we get to).

    our own experiences at the wine and beyond store at the currents have all been positive. staff were friendly but not pushy, selections across the board as good or better than just about anywhere else (although some - like devine wines - have a broader selections within their own specialties). some of what they do (such as offering a wide selection of draft beers bottled in the store) appears unique and their pricing seemed competitive on most things we looked at.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

  47. #47
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    6,395

    Default

    I've noticed that 'Growler Bars' have been popping up elsewhere as well. Specifically at Keg & Cork on 99th.

    It's a trend that I quite enjoy.

  48. #48
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    4,234

    Default

    Maybe what we need is an 'Edmonton Booze Buddy' website along the lines of that 'Edmonton Gas Buddy' site, featuring a few select items per week. That might work, eh?

    Liquor Depot I won't go near. They refuse to sell those 8-can flats of Kokanee, Bud, or Canadian as 'eights'. It's 24 cans or nothing with them. Sobey's and Superstore don't have a problem with that, so that's who gets my business.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

  49. #49
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    6,395

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    Maybe what we need is an 'Edmonton Booze Buddy' website along the lines of that 'Edmonton Gas Buddy' site, featuring a few select items per week. That might work, eh?

    Liquor Depot I won't go near. They refuse to sell those 8-can flats of Kokanee, Bud, or Canadian as 'eights'. It's 24 cans or nothing with them. Sobers and Superstore don't have a problem with that, so that's who gets my business.
    I used to work at a Liquor Depot, and we definitely sold 8 can packs of Kokanee

  50. #50
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    4,234

    Default

    Hmmm, not at my local outlet.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

  51. #51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    We picked up a not common Scotch "on sale" at the wine cellar that we ran across elsewhere a couple of weeks later for $30 less than the "sale" price so aren't impressed with the pricing.
    Scotch at the Wine Cellar interesting, maybe they brought in a few for Christmas, mind you we've not been there since September. $30 is quite dear and I wouldn't be impressed either.

    Chateau Louis is the Scotch-stop for us, great selection and pricing is good if not a tad cheaper than most, at least for Scotch. Their Bourbon shelf too is getting considerably better.

  52. #52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    I've noticed that 'Growler Bars' have been popping up elsewhere as well. Specifically at Keg & Cork on 99th.

    It's a trend that I quite enjoy.
    Growlers are fun and good for sales. In the Pacific Northwest, Growler sales all over the place, mind you it's kind of beer Nirvana anyway: microbrews, craftbrews, and homebrewers everywhere.

    Wines and Beyond has a number of taps. Also, Brewsters is planning to have Growler sales as well; sample before you fill'er up. They plan to rotate more styles on their taps as well.
    Last edited by Frank Wilson; 04-01-2013 at 12:52 AM.

  53. #53
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    6,395

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    Hmmm, not at my local outlet.
    If memory serves, stock is mostly up to the discretion of the manager of each store. If you want a brand that they carry in a certain format, talk to them and they'll probably be able to do something about it.

  54. #54
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    4,234

    Default

    ^ Yep, I figured as much. Seems to be an individual thing among store operators.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

  55. #55
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    30,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wilson View Post
    Devine Wines and Spirits is another very good shop 10111 104 St.
    This is my go-to place for wine. I know one of the guys quite well.

    One wine store that has existed with very little publicity is the Sunterra Cellar in Commerce Place.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  56. #56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    One wine store that has existed with very little publicity is the Sunterra Cellar in Commerce Place.
    Annabelle was primarily involved with Sunterra Cellar before she joined the folks over at Devine. A very nice and knowledgeable lady with practical sense/cents, not going for the "upsale". I'm sure many appreciate that as do my spouse and I.

  57. #57
    leannimal
    Guest

    Default

    There will be a fantastic new wine store coming sometime in feb to sherwood park. They will be expanding through edmonton. It is Everything Wine an More. Store is around 13 thousand sq feet. Great variety and super staff.

  58. #58

    Default

    Everything Wine And More, another warehouse type store. We've never been to their Lethbridge location; however, other folks have positive reports.

  59. #59
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada
    Posts
    5,294

    Default

    The selection at my usual is waning somewhat - have recently tried Vinomania on Jasper.

    Will. Be. Back. Often.

    Owner/operator (I assume) is extremely knowlegable, very nice selection (including Sicilian wines) and, if you're in the mood, a tasting bar. Nice.
    ... gobsmacked

  60. #60
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    3,582

    Default

    ^



    Total dogfokkers.

    Top_Dawg figgers the neighboring Canadian Western Bank is open longer hours than these guyz.

  61. #61
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada
    Posts
    5,294

    Default

    Mebbe - but still longer hours than the old usual ....

    *sigh*
    ... gobsmacked

  62. #62
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    30,033

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    The selection at my usual is waning somewhat - have recently tried Vinomania on Jasper.

    Will. Be. Back. Often.

    Owner/operator (I assume) is extremely knowlegable, very nice selection (including Sicilian wines) and, if you're in the mood, a tasting bar. Nice.
    Is that Gurvinder Bhatia? He appears on Global Sunday morning news often, if not every Sunday morning. But I find it odd that his shop is closed on Sundays instead of staying open and taking advantage of that viewership.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  63. #63
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada
    Posts
    5,294

    Default

    No, not Gurvinder - must be an employee then, t'was a Saturday night.

    True - odd not to be open just when the store is getting the most bmph.

    But there's no lack of hop and swill stores in the area - maybe higher-end wines just aren't as big a seller?
    ... gobsmacked

  64. #64
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    5,597

    Default

    just found "Vines" on Rabbit Hill Road
    Great selection
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

  65. #65
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    30,033

    Default

    I was in Aligra at WEM earlier today and I say to say it's quite a nice wine shop. As mentioned earlier in this thread, they are located in WEM Phase 3 in the dead zone between the Brick and Sunrise Records, so it probably goes unnoticed by most people except for the most dedicated wine geeks.

    My usual go-to places for wine these days are Devine on 104 St and Unwined at ECC mall. The latter is now run by Gurvinder Bhatia formerly of Vinomania (that was a merger between two wine shops IIRC). Liquor Depot/Barn is ok if I just want to get a good Okanagan wine that won't break the bank.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  66. #66
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    3,582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    My usual go-to places for wine these days are Devine on 104 St and Unwined at ECC mall. The latter is now run by Gurvinder Bhatia formerly of Vinomania (that was a merger between two wine shops IIRC). Liquor Depot/Barn is ok if I just want to get a good Okanagan wine that won't break the bank.


    dogsbody...


  67. #67
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,605

    Default

    Price wise: Crown Liquor in Ritchie has a good selection and great prices

    Selection: Color de Vino Whyte and 96 street has an unbeatable selection. The lovely lady who owns part of the place is the new wine columnist for The Journal. Friendly, knowledgeable and no kind of price snob like at DeVine's.

  68. #68
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada
    Posts
    5,294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    ... Friendly, knowledgeable and no kind of price snob like at DeVine's.
    Funny, hadn't thought that about Devine at all.

    New Jasper Ave Wine that replaced Vinomania is arranged by grape variety rather than country. Initially a mite odd to navigate, but after a few trips, I like it.
    ... gobsmacked

  69. #69
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    3,582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    New Jasper Ave Wine that replaced Vinomania is arranged by grape variety rather than country. Initially a mite odd to navigate, but after a few trips, I like it.

    Interesting.

    How is their selection of pinot noir ?

  70. #70
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Canada
    Posts
    5,294

    Default

    Les deux côtés d'une longue étagère
    ... gobsmacked

  71. #71
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    3,582

    Default

    Tres bien alors.

  72. #72
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    30,033

    Default

    The Sunterra Cellar in Commerce Place also has theirs grouped by grape
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  73. #73
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    43,973

    Default

    Divine on 104st for selection and staff.
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  74. #74
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    3,582

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Is that Gurvinder Bhatia? He appears on Global Sunday morning news often, if not every Sunday morning. But I find it odd that his shop is closed on Sundays instead of staying open and taking advantage of that viewership.

    Yeah, this past Sunday Top_Dawg caught ol' Gurv regaling Kent and Daintre with pairings of plonk and potato chips.

    Yup.

    Potato chips.



    A veritable bon vivant this Gurvinder.

  75. #75

    Default

    Pairing wine with music (Interstellar Rodeo). Another apparent Gurvinder concept. <sigh>

    That said ...

    Wine goes with everything.

    That is all.

  76. #76
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Strathcona - Mill Creek
    Posts
    4,835

    Default

    We love Color de Vino (my wife a little too much). I've always had great service from them, and they're close by, which is even better.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •