View Poll Results: Will you get a swine flu shot?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    42 55.26%
  • No

    34 44.74%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 100 of 389

Thread: Will you get a swine flu shot?

  1. #1

    Default Will you get a swine flu shot?

    I will, but I always get the seasonal shot, and don't see it as being any different. I hate being sick with flu. What about you? It is available from next week (although at risk groups should go first).

  2. #2
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    3,696

    Default

    Never get flu shots, never really had anything I'd qualify as a flu, but maybe I have and just didn't notice. Most times I just write it off as something I ate. If I was walking down the street and it was offered to me I wouldn't turn it down, but neither am I going to go out of my way for it.

  3. #3
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Meadows
    Posts
    1,976

    Default

    I haven't ever been the recipient of a flu shot, but I think I'll be getting the one for H1N1. I'm just beginning to get over a cold, and if the shot helps me avoid being bed ridden I'll gladly take it. I work with a lot of people and take transit so chances are that I'll get the flu from somewhere.
    $2.00 $2.25 $2.50 $2.75 $2.85 $3.00 $3.20 $3.25

  4. #4

    Default

    Yes. I work in health care and education. Plus I take public transit a lot. So I am around lots of people, many of them may be contageous.

    The shot is free, so when it's distributed at my work, I'll be getting one.

  5. #5
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Downtown Edmonton
    Posts
    45,817

    Default

    nope

    -in good health
    -not exposed to high levels of sick people
    -not all that much trust in a drug fast tracked to solve this outbreak
    www.decl.org

    Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

  6. #6
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    3,736

    Default

    I haven't gotten a flu shot before and I doubt I'll get one this time.

  7. #7

    Default

    Yes, I will get the H1N1 shot. Got the regular flu shot last week. Have been getting the flue shots for the last several years. Mind, I am the only one in the family that does this. The rest are not too concerned.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    -not all that much trust in a drug fast tracked to solve this outbreak
    I don't think it has been fast tracked any more than the regular seasonal flu vaccine is every year. The only difference, is that they have made a lot more of it.

  9. #9
    C2E Super Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    NAITSA Advocacy
    Posts
    1,347

    Default

    Does anyone know how long is USUALLY takes to develop a flu vaccine? I mean people don't think it's safe, and to most people perception is reality.

    If the drug was rushed then I would be hesitant to get a shot. If not, then why worry?

  10. #10

    Default

    I don't think this H1N1 flu vaccine was rushed. They do test different flu strains each year. They use the 3 or 4 most likely strains to cause flu for the flu shot.
    H1N1 is a complete new strain of flu. They made the vaccine the same way they always do. The reason it seems to be more virulent is because it is a strain they have never seen before. I would rather they vaccinated people than do nothing at all.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

  11. #11
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    teh city of gold
    Posts
    1,063

    Default

    Notice how the first time the disease was ever noticed was at that army base. Very clear that that was the testing of the virus on a small amount of troops (very common, look it up, the military does it all the time without the men knowing), this combined with virologist saying the recent strain is made in a laboratory due to splicing.... this is all very sinister indeed. Now 20years later they wanna try the real deal.

  12. #12
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    jasper east
    Posts
    1,536

    Default

    i stay away from flu shots of any kind. flus usually mutate to a level where the shot is useless by the time you need it to work

  13. #13
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Westmount, Edmonton
    Posts
    5,423

    Default

    If I had to go out of my away I wouldn't as I'm in a low risk group and likely already had H1N1. However Capital Health has always provided free flu shots to our office since we are in direct contact with a lot of nurses. When they come this year I'll be getting it mostly because I always get it.

    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

  14. #14
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Westmount, Edmonton
    Posts
    5,423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal Fang View Post
    Notice how the first time the disease was ever noticed was at that army base. Very clear that that was the testing of the virus on a small amount of troops (very common, look it up, the military does it all the time without the men knowing), this combined with virologist saying the recent strain is made in a laboratory due to splicing.... this is all very sinister indeed. Now 20years later they wanna try the real deal.
    FUD

    The 2009 strain of H1N1 was first noticed in rural Mexico. There have been a number of H1N1 outbreaks recorded in the last 100 years including the 1918 Spanish Flu, a seasonal strain from 1947-57, the 1976 Fort Dix outbreak you allude to, and another variant from 1977-78 in Russia.

    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

  15. #15
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    1,196

    Default

    Get the shot

    Don't be stupid

  16. #16

    Default

    No shot for me, I invariably get sick from the flu shot (4 for 4 as an adult) and my roommate can't get the shot. I'll spin the wheel and take my chances.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  17. #17
    C2E SME
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Sherwood Park, AB
    Posts
    10,720

    Default

    If the shot is readily available, I'll get it. I'm lower down on the priority list, so I'll wait for the crowds to pass before I get mine.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

  18. #18
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    3,696

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JasonR View Post
    Does anyone know how long is USUALLY takes to develop a flu vaccine? I mean people don't think it's safe, and to most people perception is reality.

    If the drug was rushed then I would be hesitant to get a shot. If not, then why worry?
    They make new vaccines every year based upon probabilities of what strains will be most common. I don't think the H1N1 vaccine is any different in that respect. There's a lot of fear mongering out there about this, and to me it's little different than the usual conspiracy theory junk.

    Again though, if you're young, fit and healthy and don't interact with a lot of people on a regular basis (nurses, teachers and the like) then there's no huge reason to get the shot.

  19. #19

    Default

    ^Not sure about the young healthy bit. They had a young doctor from Ontario on TV news the other day, who said he was bed ridden for a week with it. His comment was that a very small percentage of even healthy adults can die from it. The odds are very small of that happening, but why take the chance when there is no need to? My thought is that this new strain is probably going to mutate and be around for a while, so it makes sense to get the body used to making the type of anti-bodies needed to protect us.

  20. #20

    Default

    Vaccines have a proven track record (that goes back almost a century) of having fewer and milder side effects than ANY therapeutic medicines (over the counter drugs, prescribed drugs, herbal remedies, etc.).

    Their safety record is as good as it gets.


    Also, the assertion that H1N1 is some kind of "manufactured" virus is hysterical. Influenza is a very contageous virus and has a very unstable genome. It mutates very quickly and swaps strands of it's genetic code with other flu viruses if people (or pigs, or birds) get co-infected with more than one strain.

    The current H1N1 came from urban Mexico. With all the overcrowded conditions, poor hygiene, sanitation problems, weak disease surveillance, bad air quality, lack of vaccines, underdeveloped public health systems, and people living with their animals in dirt-floor homes, this H1N1 flu didn't need any "military" help.

    Outbreaks of all kinds of diseases in army bases are common, because there are lots of people in close quarters to catch infections from. Not because of some dastardly experiments. It happens for the same reason outbreaks happen in nursing homes, hospitals, student residences, and schools.

  21. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raz0469 View Post
    Again though, if you're young, fit and healthy and don't interact with a lot of people on a regular basis (nurses, teachers and the like) then there's no huge reason to get the shot.
    As I type this right now, there are dozens of people being treated for H1N1 in one of the Emergency Departments here in Edmonton. Many of them are being sent to ICU for respiratory intubation (including a few health care workers). Right now almost all the nurses at the Royal Alex Emergency are wearing masks and goggles. Go peek your head in the door if you don't believe me.

    This H1N1 strain is notorious for striking quickly. It causes the most severe symptoms in elderly, young children, and pregnant women. If you live with, work with, or are around any of these people, you are doing them a favor by getting the H1N1 shot to protect them.

  22. #22
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    3,962

    Default

    Top_Dawg spends most of his weekends trolling E-town's bars for stray sows.

    According to all the health gurus, Top_Dawg's ravenous appetite for promiscuous porking makes him the ideal candidate for the swine flu shot.

    But Top_Dawg has always been one to go against the flow - swim upstream so to speak. And so he'll graciously decline.

    Top_Dawg continues to believe that this whole H1N1 uproar is nothing but a pig in a poke.
    Last edited by Top_Dawg; 23-10-2009 at 10:06 AM.

  23. #23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rocket252 View Post
    Don't get the shot

    Don't be stupid
    /fixed
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

  24. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DTrobotnik View Post
    i stay away from flu shots of any kind. flus usually mutate to a level where the shot is useless by the time you need it to work
    This is true. The CDC's own numbers say that the regular flu kills 35000 people a year in the US. This whole thing is hype, not to mention that vaccines can be dangerous.

  25. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    not to mention that vaccines can be dangerous.
    Not nearly as dangerous as Tylenol, Aspirin, Advil, and other countless prescription and non-prescription medicines. Not even close.

    Vaccines have an incredible safety record and fewer and less harmful side effects than any drug or therapeutic supplement.

  26. #26

    Default

    I agree, prescription and non-prescription drugs can be very harmful and more people are taking them everyday.

    I have had the flu once in the last 18 years and I have never had a flu vaccine. On the other hand, I know people that get the flu vaccine every year and get the flu every year.

    So why take the chance of this happening:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4MIm1mB7GM

  27. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    So why take the chance of this happening:
    Because every single year millions of people get that vaccine without that happening, and tens of thousands regularly die of actual flu (or secondary pneumonia from flu complications). Almost all of those deaths are in non-immunized people, by the way.


    You might as well show a video of someone who became quadraplegic from an automobile accident, then recommend that people should never ride in a car because they risk the chance of that happening to them.


    And if someone gets the flu after getting a flu shot, it means they didn't get the shot on time. Also, not everyone's immune system responds to the vaccine (sometimes only 70% of people gain protection).
    Last edited by MrOilers; 23-10-2009 at 01:19 PM.

  28. #28

    Default

    The flu vaccine is not a live vaccine. It builds up the bodies immunity to the flu virus but it cannot give you the flu. It takes approx. two weeks after you have the flu shot for it to take effect. If you get the flu before that you had the flu before you got the shot. Anyway, I don't think they can guarantee you will not get the flu after the shot but it will be a shorter period and of way less severity.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

  29. #29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    So why take the chance of this happening:
    Because every single year millions of people get that vaccine without that happening, and tens of thousands regularly die of actual flu (or secondary pneumonia from flu complications). Almost all of those deaths are in non-immunized people, by the way.


    You might as well show a video of someone who became quadraplegic from an automobile accident, then recommend that people should never ride in a car because they risk the chance of that happening to them.


    And if someone gets the flu after getting a flu shot, it means they didn't get the shot on time. Also, not everyone's immune system responds to the vaccine (sometimes only 70% of people gain protection).

    I know the risk of this type of reaction is extremely low. You run out and get all your shots and I will take my chances.

  30. #30

    Default

    I think the public needs to chill out over this Swine Flu vaccine or the flu itself. Its over rated. We have a billion people in the world and the death toll from people dying from it is not even close to that..not even a million people died from the swine flu. So its not a threat. The ones that are freaking out over the Swine flu or the new vaccine need to go live in a bubble till its over. Stay home and let the rest of the real people who are not freaking out live a life. If this flu was a huge threat then half the population be dead already..Think about it.

  31. #31

    Default

    ^Yes, the threat of the swine flu is over for the not nearly million who died from it.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

  32. #32

    Default

    So what vaccine innoculates against a susceptibility to conspiracy theories? That seems to be going around C2E a lot lately.

  33. #33
    Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    11,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bear View Post
    So what vaccine innoculates against a susceptibility to conspiracy theories? That seems to be going around C2E a lot lately.
    taking away complete anonymity perhaps?
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

  34. #34
    In Guantanamo (Banned)
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Oliver
    Posts
    1,769

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bear View Post
    So what vaccine innoculates against a susceptibility to conspiracy theories? That seems to be going around C2E a lot lately.

    ...that's more of a mental health issue - there's no known vaccine to innoculate against that.

  35. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by andy8244 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bear View Post
    So what vaccine innoculates against a susceptibility to conspiracy theories? That seems to be going around C2E a lot lately.

    ...that's more of a mental health issue - there's no known vaccine to innoculate against that.
    yuk yuk yuk

    comedians here!
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

  36. #36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OilerFan30 View Post
    not even a million people died from the swine flu. So its not a threat.
    With the modern public health measures we have to prevent infectious diseases (surveillance, vaccinations, quarantine, isolation, etc.) a million deaths of ANY communicable disease in this day and age is unacceptable.

  37. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    You run out and get all your shots and I will take my chances.
    Deal. But if my daughter gets seriously ill because you passed the flu onto her, I will bludgeon you with the biggest medical microbiology and immunology text I can find in my office.

  38. #38

    Default

    Well MrOiler if you want to live in a bubble and be one of those people that is going to live a life of panicing over nothing. Even freak out when someone in the same line up at Tim Hortons cough. You go a head. I have a child too and no I don't think my child needs the vaccine. Im not one of those overly stressed panic people that lives in a bubble. If the Swine Flu was such a threat we be having a huge mess right now with half the population sick. Its a flu like the regular flu. You can die from the regular one and you can die from the Swine. Theres no difference. I had a fever and I stayed home for a day. Went back to work the next day. I was at a Tim Hortons line up and a guy coughed. The lady behind him starting freaking out and got mad at him how shes going to get the flu now cause hes out in public. Dude has a cold not the flu. So yeah ..i do think everyone is blowing the whole thing out of the water with the Swine Flu....So the ones that are freaking out about it..Get a life.

  39. #39

    Default

    Mr Oiler ..whether someone gets the new vaccine or not. Doesn't matter. You can get the flu with the vaccine or not. Getting the vaccine is a choice. So if some of us don't want to get it then thats ours. Nobody is being irresponsible because you think soo. I have a girlfriend that wants the new vaccine to be a manditory thing for all kids. She wants the school boards to force parents to make their kids take it. And the ones that refuse, shouldnt be allowed to have their kids attend school. Now thats a bunch of bs. Thats a parents choice. Just because some kids dont get the shot doesnt mean they will get sick. So Mr Oiler your not a doctor or a medical expert. Don't tell people facts you only believe from the news papers. or the internet.

  40. #40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Vaccines have a proven track record (that goes back almost a century) of having fewer and milder side effects than ANY therapeutic medicines (over the counter drugs, prescribed drugs, herbal remedies, etc.).

    Their safety record is as good as it gets.


    Also, the assertion that H1N1 is some kind of "manufactured" virus is hysterical. Influenza is a very contageous virus and has a very unstable genome. It mutates very quickly and swaps strands of it's genetic code with other flu viruses if people (or pigs, or birds) get co-infected with more than one strain.

    The current H1N1 came from urban Mexico. With all the overcrowded conditions, poor hygiene, sanitation problems, weak disease surveillance, bad air quality, lack of vaccines, underdeveloped public health systems, and people living with their animals in dirt-floor homes, this H1N1 flu didn't need any "military" help.

    Outbreaks of all kinds of diseases in army bases are common, because there are lots of people in close quarters to catch infections from. Not because of some dastardly experiments. It happens for the same reason outbreaks happen in nursing homes, hospitals, student residences, and schools.
    Your not a medical expert or doctor to be quoting this. Go back to school and get a degree in medcine before you state this.

  41. #41

    Default

    ^ do you have a degree in medicine?

  42. #42
    Partially Addicted to C2E
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta
    Posts
    196

    Default

    I won't be getting the H1N1 flu shot - but not because I don't want one. I learned an hour ago that the 'adjuvant' used in this first round of virus contains fish oil - something to which I am dealthy allergic. I cannot believe this has not been more widely publicised - I know they would not give it to me in error (they would be asking about allergies) - but, this changes my plans profoundly.

    I'll be watching the news on all this much more closely in light of this. And watching my health like crazy.

  43. #43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OilerFan30 View Post
    Your not a medical expert or doctor to be quoting this.
    Quiet, please. Adults are talking.

  44. #44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OilerFan30 View Post
    Don't tell people facts you only believe from the news papers. or the internet.

    I am not a doctor, nor claim to be a medical professional.

    However, I have a Bachelor's degree in Medical Microbiology and Immunology, an After Degree in Secondary Education, and a Master's Degree in Public Health. I used to be an instructor of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Disease for the Nursing Program at MacEwan. My wife is a Registered Nurse with Emergency experience, and in my job I work closely with Alberta Health Services and proper training of front-line health care workers.

    I currently volunteer my time as a member of the Alberta Association of Career Colleges to be part of a Liaison Committee for pandemic planning for Post-Secondary institutes across Alberta.

    Wanna play ball?

    Also, where do YOU get YOUR facts?
    Last edited by MrOilers; 23-10-2009 at 07:28 PM.

  45. #45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    You run out and get all your shots and I will take my chances.
    Deal. But if my daughter gets seriously ill because you passed the flu onto her, I will bludgeon you with the biggest medical microbiology and immunology text I can find in my office.
    You are going to have a lot of bludgeoning to do. I'm not the only unenlightened ***** that is not getting the shot.

  46. #46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by andy8244 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Bear View Post
    So what vaccine innoculates against a susceptibility to conspiracy theories? That seems to be going around C2E a lot lately.

    ...that's more of a mental health issue - there's no known vaccine to innoculate against that.

    C2E conspiracy theorist definition:

    A person who is not in total lockstep with government and mainstream media views.


    Cardinal Fang posted a link to a 60 Minutes story in another thread and someone called it a conspiracy theory. 60 Minutes?

  47. #47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OilerFan30 View Post
    Don't tell people facts you only believe from the news papers. or the internet.

    I am not a doctor, nor claim to be a medical professional.

    However, I have a Bachelor's degree in Medical Microbiology and Immunology, an After Degree in Secondary Education, and a Master's Degree in Public Health. I used to be an instructor of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Disease for the Nursing Program at MacEwan. My wife is a Registered Nurse with Emergency experience, and in my job I work closely with Alberta Health Services and proper training of front-line health care workers.

    I currently volunteer my time as a member of the Alberta Association of Career Colleges to be part of a Liaison Committee for pandemic planning for Post-Secondary institutes across Alberta.

    Wanna play ball?

    Also, where do YOU get YOUR facts?
    Mr. Oilers, for the win.

    Of course, he could be in on it . . .

  48. #48
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Holyrood
    Posts
    4,846

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    C2E conspiracy theorist definition:

    A person who is not in total lockstep with government and mainstream media views.
    Which obviously explains the unilateral love shown by all posters of C2E with regards to their federal and provincial governments...
    Strathcona City Separatist

  49. #49
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Westmount, Edmonton
    Posts
    5,423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OilerFan30 View Post
    Its a flu like the regular flu. You can die from the regular one and you can die from the Swine. Theres no difference.
    There's a significant difference. H1N1 is killing young, otherwise healthy people. The odds of H1N1 killing me are higher than seasonal flu. This is the reason for the health communities concern. Odds are that it everything will be fine but the when the stakes are as high as they are I don't blame them for being exceedingly cautious.

    Also consider that the large estimates of seasonal flu deaths are from estimates based on "how many flu-related deaths occurred among people whose underlying cause of death on their death certificate was listed as a respiratory or circulatory disease."* The current records death toll of H1N1 only includes direct attributable deaths. When they compile the final stats the number will be much higher.

    *http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease...ted_deaths.htm

    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

  50. #50
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    4,464

    Default

    From Saturday's Journal:

    . . . said Butler-Jones. "The choice is simple: a safe and effective preventive vaccine or a very real risk of disease. If we get the real facts about the vaccine, you will almost certainly choose immunization."

    If? IF we get the real facts? This is the top doc speaking. If he hasn't got the "real facts" how the hell can anyone else know what's going on?

  51. #51

    Default

    Judging by the poll on this thread, if there is a conspiracy, or scandal it is simply that the government has purchased way too much vaccine (although perhaps it can be sold to US?).

    On the other hand, attitudes might change as more people get sick. I read recently about a young healthy woman in a coma from the disease. When this starts happening to loved ones, friends or work colleagues, the 'scary' 'pain' of the vaccine jab may not seem so bad.
    Last edited by moahunter; 25-10-2009 at 08:54 AM.

  52. #52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    C2E conspiracy theorist definition:

    A person who is not in total lockstep with government and mainstream media views.
    /agree
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

  53. #53
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Westmount, Edmonton
    Posts
    5,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    From Saturday's Journal:

    . . . said Butler-Jones. "The choice is simple: a safe and effective preventive vaccine or a very real risk of disease. If we get the real facts about the vaccine, you will almost certainly choose immunization."

    If? IF we get the real facts? This is the top doc speaking. If he hasn't got the "real facts" how the hell can anyone else know what's going on?
    I think he's saying "we" as in any of us getting the real facts (as he has), they'll come to the conclusion he has, which is to choose immunization. He's saying that considering the facts, it's a simple choice - safety vs risk.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

  54. #54
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    4,464

    Default

    ^ You're probably right and I wondered about that myself, Jimbo. But using 'we' and then 'you' in that sentence, doesn't make what he's saying abundantly clear. The 'we' really should have been a 'you' - it would then have given the sense that he was on top of the issue. A person in his position, and granted he's only human and probably doesn't phrase everything as well as he might, needs to be absolutely clear and specific in matters as serious as this. It's possible that a lot of people may have got a bit of a scare from his wording.

  55. #55
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    3,962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    I am not a doctor, nor claim to be a medical professional.

    However, I have a Bachelor's degree in Medical Microbiology and Immunology, an After Degree in Secondary Education, and a Master's Degree in Public Health. I used to be an instructor of Medical Microbiology and Infectious Disease for the Nursing Program at MacEwan. My wife is a Registered Nurse with Emergency experience, and in my job I work closely with Alberta Health Services and proper training of front-line health care workers.

    I currently volunteer my time as a member of the Alberta Association of Career Colleges to be part of a Liaison Committee for pandemic planning for Post-Secondary institutes across Alberta.


    Yeah sure hot shot - pull the brain card on us nerdsky !

    But seriously, Top_Dawg is impressed !

    Where did you do your graduate degree ?


    Top_Dawg iz none too bright and a undergrad degree came a lot closer to killing him than any pig flu likely will.

  56. #56
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Bonnie Doon
    Posts
    5,215

    Default

    People in Edmonton lining up at one of the five clinics giving H1N1 vaccinations the first day they became available in Alberta were told Monday to expect waits of three to four hours.

    Staff at the Northgate Centre clinic suggested that people not in one of the groups at high risk of getting swine flu may want to come back another day, the CBC's Andrea Huncar said.

    The lineups started as early as 6 a.m. for the 9 a.m. opening at the clinic at the Bonnie Doon Shopping Centre.
    http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/st...t-alberta.html

  57. #57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    People in Edmonton lining up at one of the five clinics giving H1N1 vaccinations the first day they became available in Alberta were told Monday to expect waits of three to four hours.

    Staff at the Northgate Centre clinic suggested that people not in one of the groups at high risk of getting swine flu may want to come back another day, the CBC's Andrea Huncar said.

    The lineups started as early as 6 a.m. for the 9 a.m. opening at the clinic at the Bonnie Doon Shopping Centre.
    http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/st...t-alberta.html
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

  58. #58

  59. #59

    Default

    Autism-Vaccine Link Researcher Andrew Wakefield Fixed His Data:

    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/lif...cle5683671.ece



    Please take the time to read this article, too. Note how Wakefield applied for a patent for an MMR vaccine that he thought was "safer" than the one that he "proved" that causes autism:

    http://briandeer.com/wakefield-deer.htm


    Be careful of who's "side" you choose to be on in debates on medical issues. The people who go "against the grain" of popular beliefs of the medical experts have their own motives. Seemingly good people (not just governments and "big pharma") will do or say anything for money.

  60. #60

    Default

    ^There seems to be some mismanagement though, given the request now for vaccine that does not have adjuvant, all these mixed signals aren't helping.

    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1338680/

    Also, comes down to human nature. If people were rational, then we would listen to our doctors, and the medical professionals. Many people aren't rational though, they would rather hear about "alternative medicines" and "natural alternatives". Once something has a "reputation" for being harmful, it is hard to ever turn that around. A good example is the morning sickness pill, that is approved for use in Canada (my wife used it, it was very helpful for her), but that is not sold in the US, because of the law suit risk (every birth defficiency would be blamed on it, despite the proof otherwise).

  61. #61

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    People in Edmonton lining up at one of the five clinics giving H1N1 vaccinations the first day they became available in Alberta were told Monday to expect waits of three to four hours.

    Staff at the Northgate Centre clinic suggested that people not in one of the groups at high risk of getting swine flu may want to come back another day, the CBC's Andrea Huncar said.

    The lineups started as early as 6 a.m. for the 9 a.m. opening at the clinic at the Bonnie Doon Shopping Centre.
    http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/st...t-alberta.html
    All it will take is for one sick person to be included in that line up and the problem has become 100X worse.

    I personally will continue to wash my hands and not get the jab. I miss bird flu..

  62. #62

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    I personally will continue to wash my hands and not get the jab. I miss bird flu..
    There was a recent report in the Canadian medical journal that washing your hands does nothing, zero, to prevent the flu. I think everyone who doesn't get the jab will eventually get some variant of this flu, it could be around for a number of years.

  63. #63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    I personally will continue to wash my hands and not get the jab. I miss bird flu..
    There was a recent report in the Canadian medical journal that washing your hands does nothing, zero, to prevent the flu. I think everyone who doesn't get the jab will eventually get some variant of this flu, it could be around for a number of years.
    But our gods in the medical community say that taking the the vaccine and washing our hands both prevent H1N1.

  64. #64

    Default

    ^Vaccine is 90% effective, it has been tested. Vaccines work. Pretty hard to prove washing hands has an impact one way or the other. Here is a hand washing article on that controversy.

    http://www.cmaj.ca/earlyreleases/1oc...dwashing.shtml

    Hand washing certainly doesn't hurt anyway. There are always be people who are too scared to have a needle inject something into them.
    Last edited by moahunter; 26-10-2009 at 04:01 PM.

  65. #65
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Westmount, Edmonton
    Posts
    5,423

    Default

    A tidbit to be aware of regarding H1N1. I've mentioned before that while the death rate is currently lower than seasonal flu it is killing younger people than seasonal flu does. An example of this is that since September 1st H1N1 has led to the deaths of 48 children in the U.S., more than all the flu related deaths that occur in the regular flu season.

    Opposing the government on principle, as many seem to be doing, is just another form of conformity.

    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

  66. #66

    Default

    Here is an excellent article on H1H1 outbreak, which is a refreshing read after being subject to the "hype" from most other media sources:

    "Be prepared. Not Scared"

    http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/reporte....html?ID=7593#

  67. #67
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    30,628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    People in Edmonton lining up at one of the five clinics giving H1N1 vaccinations the first day they became available in Alberta were told Monday to expect waits of three to four hours.

    Staff at the Northgate Centre clinic suggested that people not in one of the groups at high risk of getting swine flu may want to come back another day, the CBC's Andrea Huncar said.

    The lineups started as early as 6 a.m. for the 9 a.m. opening at the clinic at the Bonnie Doon Shopping Centre.
    http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/st...t-alberta.html
    Ooooh, look at all the sheeple, rushing out the first day to get the vaccine.
    None for me, thanks. Haven't had a flu shot in years, haven't had the flu in years (save for the 26 oz variety).
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  68. #68

    Default

    ^Well, I was one of those sheeples who got the H1N1 vaccine this afternoon.
    Waited 2 hrs. at Northgate for the privilage.
    At the moment I am feeling great. I will let you know if I feel the urge to howl at the moon (or go BAAAAA) or roll in the dirt.
    All I can hope is that you nay sayers don't get the flu yourselves.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

  69. #69
    C2E Long Term Contributor
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    30,628

    Default

    ^ I don't care if you get the shot or not, but for God's sake do you all have to go on the 1st day?!! Why, is it only available for one day? That's the point of my sheeple comment.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

  70. #70
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Bonnie Doon
    Posts
    5,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    ^ I don't care if you get the shot or not, but for God's sake do you all have to go on the 1st day?!! Why, is it only available for one day? That's the point of my sheeple comment.
    You can blame that on the Alberta Health Services for not getting the proper message out and planning properly.

    Health care experts are telling people that getting the flu shot is essential, especially those with chronic health problems or with small children, yet there is no prioritizing for these at risk groups.

    Also, why are there only five clinics in Edmonton and four in Calgary providing the vaccination? For the past two months all we heard in the media was swine flu this and H1N1 that. The heath authorities should have anticipated this massive demand.

    p.s.....As for the poll question, there isn't a Not Sure option so I cannot answer.

  71. #71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    p.s.....As for the poll question, there isn't a Not Sure option so I cannot answer.
    Eventually you will decide one way or the other, when you do, please cast your vote

    Sort of agree with you on the issue of priorities and similar. I have a four year old, which puts her in the high risk priority group. We would rather do the whole family at the same time though, and I'm sure others feel the same way. This might be a big part of the reason for the long lines. We are going to give it a few days and see if the lines decline. On the other hand, you hear stories of children dying from this illness, so it isn't an easy decision, it would be hard to forgive yourself for not standing in the line, if something did happen in the interim.

  72. #72

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    ^ I don't care if you get the shot or not, but for God's sake do you all have to go on the 1st day?!! Why, is it only available for one day? That's the point of my sheeple comment.
    Hey, the way things run in this province, would anyone be surprised if they announced the ran out come day 2?

  73. #73

    Default

    I have to wonder at some people's thought process where sitting in an enclosed space for 4 hours with other hypochondriacs and the infirm seems like a way to increase your health...
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  74. #74

    Default

    ^Perhaps as bizare as the thought process of some people who are frightened of a vaccine? "Scarry, scarry, the needle will hurt me... it's a consipiracy..."

    What's worse? Waiting in a line for 2 or 3 hours, or spending a week or more in bed unwell? (hockey fans should have a look at the hockey buzz blog, and what the guy who sells "rumours" is going through).
    Last edited by moahunter; 27-10-2009 at 09:14 AM.

  75. #75

    Default

    It'll hurt my roommate. She's ineligible for flu shots (allergies), has never gotten one and never gotten the flu.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  76. #76

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Ooooh, look at all the sheeple, rushing out the first day to get the vaccine.
    None for me, thanks. Haven't had a flu shot in years, haven't had the flu in years (save for the 26 oz variety).[/QUOTE]

    You should be thanking each and every one of those "sheeple" who are taking time out of their day to get vaccinated. This principle is called "herd immunity".

    After all, the more people who are immune, the less likely YOU are to get infected.

    They took the shot, and I actually think it's quite selfish when people don't, especially when it's for philosophical reasons.
    Last edited by MrOilers; 27-10-2009 at 09:37 AM.

  77. #77

    Default

    ^^She shouldn't get it then. As to never having had the flu, to be honest, I can't believe that. Everyone has had the flu at one time or another, whether they have got seasonal shot or not.

    Here is another intersting take, that not getting the vaccing is selfish:

    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1339120/

    Essentially, the point is, if you don't get the vaccine, why should society have to pay all the costs if you end up in hospital? What "right" to medical care does somebody have, if they refuse to take preventative actions? And what impact will that decision have on the ability to treat others?

    Mass H1N1 vaccination refusal similarly might destroy (at least temporarily) our health-care system, with the threatened 100,000 people in hospital. We have a limited number of hospital beds and respirators and a finite number of people who know how best to use them. Every vaccinated person increases the likelihood that health-care professionals will be free to treat other people. What's more, inoculation reduces transmission. If unvaccinated people make health-care workers sick, they cannot look after other patients.
    Last edited by moahunter; 27-10-2009 at 09:30 AM.

  78. #78

    Default

    By that logic, why do we pay health costs for fatties and smokers? Please.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  79. #79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    If unvaccinated people make health-care workers sick, they cannot look after other patients.
    There are at least two respiratory therapists that I know of who are intubated in ICU right now because patients gave them H1N1 (not their fault, as vaccines weren't available yet).

  80. #80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    By that logic, why do we pay health costs for fatties and smokers? Please.
    I agree. It is still selfish in a way, though.

    But everybody has a right to be selfish and/or ignorant.

  81. #81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    By that logic, why do we pay health costs for fatties and smokers? Please.
    If there was a vaccine that could instantly make smokers or fatties healthy, then yes, I would agree, society shouldn't pay, those individuals should.

  82. #82
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    3,962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    By that logic, why do we pay health costs for fatties and smokers? Please.

    Because once in a while it's nice to go for a plush fully loaded luxury ride.

    Can't be drivin' sleek high performance units alla time.


    Variety noods, variety.

  83. #83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^Vaccine is 90% effective, it has been tested. Vaccines work. Pretty hard to prove washing hands has an impact one way or the other. Here is a hand washing article on that controversy.

    http://www.cmaj.ca/earlyreleases/1oc...dwashing.shtml

    Hand washing certainly doesn't hurt anyway. There are always be people who are too scared to have a needle inject something into them.
    I'm not scared of the vacine or the needles. I am not in the high risk group currently and when I get older I will likley get the jab, but till then I will rely on my body and good health.

  84. #84

    Default

    If you are 25-49 years of age, you are in the high risk group for H1N1.

  85. #85
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    5,597

    Default

    SO (HRH) and I lined up and got shot both sides last night

  86. #86

    Default

    Probably gonna go at some point..

  87. #87
    I'd rather C2E than work!
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    5,597

    Default

    Again Our thanks to the Alberta Nurses and all other front line staff at the H1N1 clinics here in River City !!

  88. #88

    Default

    Well, I'm sure glad I went yesterday for the flu shot. Apparently today is even worse for line-ups. On another note I was at the Royal Alex Emergency until 3 this morning and about 3 young children came in with severe flu symtoms also a couple of guys in their mid thirties. One of the guys other half said if he has the H1N1 it's the worsed he has ever felt. The doctor said 90% of the flu cases they are treating are the H1N1. I know there are people who are not getting the shot. I am the only one in my household that has had it, no one else is concerned. Anyway, upon talking to some of the people in the line-up yesterday. Some of them looked perfectly healthy but a lot of them have underlying health issues, diabetic, heart problems, asthma. You cannot always judge a book by it's cover.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

  89. #89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    Again Our thanks to the Alberta Nurses and all other front line staff at the H1N1 clinics here in River City !!
    Yes, I agree 100%.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

  90. #90

    Default

    In Germany, the non-adjuvant vaccine is being offered to politicians, soldiers and civil servants. The general public get the adjuvant version (the Canadian version)

    http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...932366,00.html

  91. #91

    Default

    ^Maybe our health authorities aren't so incompetent after all? At least here, the "better" version is being reserved for Pregnant women.

    I think they should give out a little card to everyone who gets the vaccine. That way, in a few months time, once everyone has had the chance, they can start charging anybody at the hospital who turns up with H1N1 who hasn't had the shot. That would be fair, I don't have to pay for those poor decisions then.
    Last edited by moahunter; 27-10-2009 at 02:00 PM.

  92. #92

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    If you are 25-49 years of age, you are in the high risk group for H1N1.
    Lets not spread miss information

    as outlined by AHS;

    All Albertans are welcome to receive their H1N1 immunization. However, AHS encourages individuals who are at high risk to get vaccinated as soon as possible. This includes:
    • People under 65 with chronic health conditions and their caregivers.
    • Pregnant women.
    • Children six months to less than five years of age and their caregivers.
    • People living in remote and isolated settings or communities.
    • Health care workers involved in pandemic response or the delivery of essential health care services.
    • Household contacts and care providers of persons at risk who cannot be immunized or may not respond to vaccines.

  93. #93

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    By that logic, why do we pay health costs for fatties and smokers? Please.
    Fatties and smokers pay into the health system aswell. Same as heavy drinkers, people who ski, snowboard, bungee jump, speed, take drugs or take other such risks that may require a hospital visit. Include in that list people who do not believe in vaccines for anything. Now I am just waiting for some fool (probably and American) who is going to come up with statistics that say more overweight people are dying of H1N1 than thin. Statistically speaking fat and thin people dye at the same rate.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

  94. #94

    Default

    Don't presume that because I'm not getting a flu shot that I'm anti-immunization.

    I'd wager that unless they've done extensive travelling in Southeast Asia that I've gone through more immunizations than most. I just don't get flu shots cos I've always reacted poorly to them. Plus the efficacy of the flu vaccine is always questionable, given the virus' tendency for rapid mutation.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  95. #95
    C2E Super Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Saskatchewan
    Posts
    1,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Plus the efficacy of the flu vaccine is always questionable, given the virus' tendency for rapid mutation.
    Well...I would think the efficacy of the vaccine for preventing you from getting that strain of flu is excellent. The doesn't mean you won't get some other strain of the flu that may be circulating (ie normal seasonal).

  96. #96
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Downtown
    Posts
    3,962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Statistically speaking fat and thin people dye at the same rate.

    Well gems, the statistical parameters that serve to compare the demographic mortality rates may yield little distinction between fatso and rake, but Top_Dawg would suspect that ol' chubs would dye at a considerably slower rate, given the volume of cascading rolls of blubber that need to absorb the colouring agent.

  97. #97

    Default

    ^Your right. That was just plain stupid of me using the word 'dye' and not 'die'.
    Anyway, some people are build for comfort and not for speed.
    I will stick to my guns that statistically speaking fat and thin people die at the same rate. There are just as many pipe cleaners in the cemetary as porkies.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

  98. #98

    Default

    And you and your guns are fundamentally wrong.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2004/03/10/us...n-smoking.html

    Yes, it's American, and yes it's 5.5 years old. But if being obese wasn't unhealthy why does it have a death rate?
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

  99. #99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Don't presume that because I'm not getting a flu shot that I'm anti-immunization.

    I'd wager that unless they've done extensive travelling in Southeast Asia that I've gone through more immunizations than most. I just don't get flu shots cos I've always reacted poorly to them. Plus the efficacy of the flu vaccine is always questionable, given the virus' tendency for rapid mutation.
    Using your own argument if enough people make the responsible societal decision to get the flu shot you approach the 80% of vaccinated population that tends to prevent the spread of the virus, prior to it mutating..

    Without an available supply of nonvaccinated host subjects the virus will die down itself.

    Non action as you describe drastically increases the probability of mutation.

    Anyway our family got both flu shots today, Waited 2hrs in line at Rutherford clinic.

    Again the flu shot is not just for the individual its for the benefit of everybody else as well that you prevent yourself from spreading the flu.

  100. #100

    Default

    Don't we need to be exposed to things like "the Flu" so that we can survive things like... the common cold?!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •