View Poll Results: Will you get a swine flu shot?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

42 54.55%
  • No

35 45.45%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Will you get a swine flu shot?

I can't believe we're having to close down immunization clinics.

Can you imagine if in the next couple of years a really deadly flu virus starts spreading around? Would we be any better prepared than we were for H1N1? It's scary stuff when put in that perspective.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    ..In anycase its pretty clear that for some reason finding enough nurses to administer is part of the problem. Although its entirely unacceptable that that should be the reason.

Clearly prevention, and treating the many, should be the first priority in this.
    The number of nurses administering the vaccine isn't the problem at the moment. Even if it was, we don't have thousands on nurses on standby at any given time. There has been no coincidental easing of the need for medical services in the usual areas. So what we are talking about here, are "extra" nurses - probably those working overtime.

And the ones I saw were doing a good job. I don't know if we really need a university educated professional nurse to administer needles, though. But I'm not the right person to really make that argument.

Smith-Glaxo hasn't been able to keep up with demand. Most of the country, and other countries, want the shot, now, it would seem. Pretty much impossible to fulfill.

Could we do better? Probably. Maybe. But take a look at the poll on the top of this page. For most of the time it's been up, it's been about 50-50 whether people were even going to bother to get the shot. Many have been commenting online or phoning into talk shows saying there's no way they're going to get the shot.

I think they've done a remarkable job, given the circumstances. The demand went from minimal to urgent in days. They can't win.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

The problem is, contrary to AHS, there is a shortage of nurses. They currently get the work done by working a lot of overtime. This means that when an exceptional circumstance arises there are few extra hours to be squeezed out of them.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    The problem is, contrary to AHS, there is a shortage of nurses. They currently get the work done by working a lot of overtime. This means that when an exceptional circumstance arises there are few extra hours to be squeezed out of them.
    That may be a problem, but it's not this problem. More nurses would just mean we'd have run out of vaccine sooner.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    That may be a problem, but it's not this problem. More nurses would just mean we'd have run out of vaccine sooner.
    Well the question asked was why weren't there enough nurses to open more clinics. They may have run out of vaccine sooner with more clinics but perhaps there wouldn't have been the huge lines of people waiting hours.

I waited one hour at Westmount on Friday at lunchtime.

They may have run out of vaccine sooner with more clinics but perhaps there wouldn't have been the huge lines of people waiting hours.
    The problem then is some clinics run out and some don't. Until there is enough vaccine, it makes sense to control distribution. People who really needed it, had the opportunity, that may not have been the case if they were unlucky enough to live by a clinic that ran out fast.

Having waited for more than 5 hours once in emergency when my wife had a miscarriage, and many times for 3 or 4 hours at medicentre, it amazes me people are whining about this, given the scale of it.

Couldn't it have been possible for some manufacturing to have been farmed out to other drug companies besides SmithGlaxo? That's what a lot of companies do when faced with a surge in demand.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    They may have run out of vaccine sooner with more clinics but perhaps there wouldn't have been the huge lines of people waiting hours.
    The problem then is some clinics run out and some don't. Until there is enough vaccine, it makes sense to control distribution. People who really needed it, had the opportunity, that may not have been the case if they were unlucky enough to live by a clinic that ran out fast.
    Distribution was not controlled. It was first come first served which is why a lot of people in high risk groups have not been vaccinated.

I'm actually conflicted on whether or not this was the right strategy or not. The advantage of the way it was done is that a large number of people were vaccinated in a short period of time. This could protect people in high risk groups even they're not vaccinated just by limiting exposure.

On the other hand, given that H1N1 is not particularly dangerous outside of the high risk groups, not prioritizing the high risk groups may lead to increased load on the hospitals if these people do get the flu.

I'm sensing someone's thesis in epidemiology may involve comparing the effects of various vaccination programs.

A side note on the impact of this. My kids started symptoms on Thursday night. We kept them home from school and in on Halloween. Their grade two teacher just followed up with us and said on Friday 10 out of 25 kids were away sick and two started getting sick during the day. So in one grade two class almost half the class got sick at the same time.

never answered e-mail

http://www.calgaryherald.com/health/...416/story.html

Alberta's top doctor takes blame in H1N1 clinic chaos

By Suzanne Wilton, Calgary HeraldNovember 2, 2009 7:28 AMComments (20)
    StoryPhotos ( 1 )

Dr. Andre Corriveau, Alberta's Chief Medical Officer of Health.Photograph by: Shaughn Butts, Edmonton JournalCALGARY - As Alberta's health minister faced calls for his resignation Sunday, the province's top doctor took responsibility for the H1N1 immunization plan that has left Calgarians angry, frustrated and confused over long lineups to get the vaccine, and now the closure of the clinics that were administering it.

Dr. Andre Corriveau said it was his decision to initially open clinics to all Albertans last Monday, close them Saturday and not reopen them until at least Tuesday. When they do reopen, the vaccine will initially be restricted to those in high-risk groups, including pregnant women, kids under six and those under 65 with chronic health conditions.

His comments come as Health Minister Ron Liepert faces further criticism over the pandemic planning, and a call by the official Opposition for his head.

But Liepert rejected Liberal Leader David Swann's demand for his resignation, saying he was and is still following the advice of the province's medical experts, who decided to stop offering the vaccine to the general public when it became clear the demand for the vaccine would outstrip a supply that is now expected to fall short.

Inoculation clinics will remain closed until at least Tuesday as health officials figure out how to deliver vaccines specifically to those in the target groups.
    All due respect to Dr. Corriveau, I sure hope he's not taking one for the team. We've had conflicting communication from the premier (all Albertans should get it) and Health Minister, encouraging only high risk folks get innoculated. Regardless, I can appreciate that this is a significant undertaking for both provincial government (how are the feds doing by the way? they have been quiet on this), health regions, the health profession, but the communication and administration policy has been bad, imo. Granted, now they will be changing their administration policy for the most vulnerable and it's good that there are lessons being learned, but why are they denying parents with children under the age of 6 months from vaccines?

Adults with chronic conditions such as diabetes or heart disease could show medication bottles or prescriptions. Parents who accompany children would not be immunized.
    Children under 6 months can't get the vaccines, but shouldn't the parents be able to get it to protect them from infection?

Quote Originally Posted by glasshead View Post
    Children under 6 months can't get the vaccines, but shouldn't the parents be able to get it to protect them from infection?
    I presume you mean the flu vaccine because the standard childhood vaccination schedule has shots at two, four, and six months.

http://www.health.alberta.ca/health-...-schedule.html

I'm sensing someone's thesis in epidemiology may involve comparing the effects of various vaccination programs.
    I hope so, there could be lots of topics out of this, from the best way to distribute, to whether or not it was correct to go with adjuvant (sic) in Canada. This is a good point though, in that, I don't think the "right" way to do it is really known, until we go through something like this. Hopefully the "best" model will be learned from, but I doubt medical professionals know what that is, and all the politicians in charge are doing right now is listening to them.

A side note on the impact of this. My kids started symptoms on Thursday night. We kept them home from school and in on Halloween. Their grade two teacher just followed up with us and said on Friday 10 out of 25 kids were away sick and two started getting sick during the day. So in one grade two class almost half the class got sick at the same time.
    Both myself and my four-year-old started coughing at around 7:00 PM last night. By 9:00 we both had a fever and went to sleep.

Today we both have a roaring fever and a nasty cough. I have a five-alarm headache, pain everywhere, painful dry cough, and an audible "wheeze" in my breath. We are both sucking back the Tylenol and Advil like it's going out of style. I have hardly ever been sick in my life, but I definitely don't think I've ever been this sick before.

^so, will you go to the "flu" clinic to see if it H1N1?

Reading that, we might just take our 4 year old for a shot tommorow if they reopen for high risk groups. Having seen her ill in hospital once before with croup, I don't want to see anything close to that again if we can still avoid it.

never answered e-mail

I presume you mean the flu vaccine because the standard childhood vaccination schedule has shots at two, four, and six months.

http://www.health.alberta.ca/health-...-schedule.html
    yes, flu vaccines

I'm feeling a little guilty because I got the shot, and I'm not in a high-risk group. I asked a nurse, but I may have phrased it wrong, when I said, "is it just for high-risk groups, or can anyone get it?"

One reason for the lineups is that when I was there watching (there's not a lot else to do when in line for an hour), there seemed to be some kind of policy in place whereby once people go the shot, they stayed at the nurses station for up to 15 minutes.

It wasn't consistent, because I was out of there right away, but someone else mentioned it to me as we were leaving, remarking that I didn't have to stay.

All in all, people in the media are making way more of this than is warranted, and that's why people are all stirred up. It's been sensationalized from the start. And now the politicians have jumped in. As if it wasn't going to be hard enough to vaccinate every Canadian anyway, now everyone wants it yesterday, and they don't want to wait in line for it.

Why do I get the strong sense that so many are disappointed to find it wasn't Liepert's fault? First he was accused of government interference over-riding the medical professionals advice. Now in some circles he's being castigated for listening to the medical people, and not stepping in.

And so many are disappointed to hear that actually Canada's response may have been the best, worldwide. Isn't that good news?
    Can't win.

No point, I guess. My wife is a nurse in an emergency department, and she says they pretty much just assume everyone with a fever and dry cough with quick onset has H1N1. She says my face also looks "gray" just like the H1N1 patients. She also said that a swab sent to the lab to test for H1N1 is now a 3 day turnaround.

I'm just drinking juice to stay hydrated and trying to keep the fever down. That's all they do for people in the hospital. If my daughter gets worse we're taking her to the Stollery for Tamiflu.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by raz0469 View Post
    ^They immunized something like 200-300,000 people in the first two days alone.
    You might want to check your stats, cause you're so far off, it's not even funny. Only 13,579 Edmontonians received the vaccine on the first day.
    Edmonton flu clinics may close next week because of supply shortage
    BY JODIE SINNEMA AND RYAN CORMIER, EDMONTONJOURNAL.COMOCTOBER 30, 2009COMMENTS (67)

EDMONTON — Health officials say it’s possible mass clinics in Edmonton and across the province may have to close next week as the province braces for an expected supply shortage.

In Calgary, news of the pending shortage sent crowds of worried people into the vaccination lineups, forcing nurses to shut down all five of the city’s clinics hours early. While there were ample doses available, nurses couldn’t meet the demand before home time.

Clinics in Edmonton are expected to be hit hard Saturday as nine-to-fivers finally have time to stand in line to get their needles.

But Alberta has already used up approximately half of its 600,000 vials of the H1N1 vaccine, and only a fraction of next week’s order of 200,000 more doses is expected to arrive, since the manufacturer has only one production line.

Full Story: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/healt...686/story.html
    ahah! Turns out I WAS pretty close if they were doing 50k a day....
    Last edited by raz0469; 02-11-2009 at 12:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    No point, I guess. My wife is a nurse in an emergency department, and she says they pretty much just assume everyone with a fever and dry cough with quick onset has H1N1. She says my face also looks "gray" just like the H1N1 patients. She also said that a swab sent to the lab to test for H1N1 is now a 3 day turnaround.

I'm just drinking juice to stay hydrated and trying to keep the fever down. That's all they do for people in the hospital. If my daughter gets worse we're taking her to the Stollery for Tamiflu.
    I'm sure you know this already but Tamiflu is best started earlier rather than later..

never answered e-mail

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I'm feeling a little guilty because I got the shot, and I'm not in a high-risk group. I asked a nurse, but I may have phrased it wrong, when I said, "is it just for high-risk groups, or can anyone get it?"

One reason for the lineups is that when I was there watching (there's not a lot else to do when in line for an hour), there seemed to be some kind of policy in place whereby once people go the shot, they stayed at the nurses station for up to 15 minutes.

It wasn't consistent, because I was out of there right away, but someone else mentioned it to me as we were leaving, remarking that I didn't have to stay.

All in all, people in the media are making way more of this than is warranted, and that's why people are all stirred up. It's been sensationalized from the start. And now the politicians have jumped in. As if it wasn't going to be hard enough to vaccinate every Canadian anyway, now everyone wants it yesterday, and they don't want to wait in line for it.

Why do I get the strong sense that so many are disappointed to find it wasn't Liepert's fault? First he was accused of government interference over-riding the medical professionals advice. Now in some circles he's being castigated for listening to the medical people, and not stepping in.

And so many are disappointed to hear that actually Canada's response may have been the best, worldwide. Isn't that good news?
    Can't win.
    I wouldn't feel guilty if I were you Jimbo. There was no set adminstration policy that was clearly communicated - even if they encouraged only high risk folks to go, do you think all people would heed to that? The only policy that seemed clear (to me anyway) was that no one was going to be turned away.

^I agree. They haven't said they don't have enough for the high risk groups either. The problem it seems to me, is they don't have enough for the general population right now. It must be a good thing in terms of slowing the spread, that a lot of people have been vaccinated.

Keep in mind that the goal was to have everyone vacinated by Christmas... AHS was never shoting to have teh whole province done in a week.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Default Government leaders send mixed messages about immunization

Government leaders send mixed messages about immunization
    EDMONTON JOURNALNOVEMBER 3, 2009

In the last week, critics say, government members have sent mixed messages when trying to explain Alberta's H1N1 immunization strategy.

OCT. 26

-"Mass clinics started delivering the vaccine across Alberta today, focusing on the high-risk groups first. . . . No one will be turned away at the clinics, but we are aiming to have those groups who can benefit the most come forward first. . . . I urge all Albertans to go out and get immunized."

--Health Minister Ron Liepert

-"Over the course of time the vaccine will be available for all Albertans, but we're asking those that are more susceptible to the flu to receive their vaccine today. We'll ensure that all other Albertans, including those that may not be at risk as much as others, receive their vaccine in the province." --Premier Ed stelmach

OCT. 27

-"To those Albertans who lined up yesterday for several hours I would express my apologies. . . . The overwhelming turnout . . . on Day 1 clearly caught most people by surprise."

--Liepert

-"Many who weren't considered high risk felt they wanted to be protected, and that's not a bad thing. but it clearly did create situations yesterday that were unacceptable and we're going to work toward making sure that we take corrective action." --Liepert

Full Story At: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/healt...810/story.html

^ Time to hire a new director of communications. Or the less Stelmach and Liepert talk, the better.

^Someones head should roll over this one though, the Flames jumped the que:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/healt...512/story.html

You would think they could have stopped at a US clinic on one of their many US trips and purchased the vaccine. Or stood in line like other people.
    Last edited by moahunter; 03-11-2009 at 12:08 PM.

^ Yep, very bad optics from the provincial government.

I don't know what's worse... the Flames players and their family getting H1N1 vaccine shots ahead of children and pregnant women. Or the Flames players getting flu shots while the Oilers players are still waiting?

Edmonton Oilers general manager Steve Tambellini told globesports.com hockey columnist Eric Duhatschek on Monday that the team was waiting to be vaccinated.

“We’re waiting like a lot of people for access to the vaccine,'' Tambellini said. "I don’t know when we’re going to be able to get it. Hopefully soon.”

As many as Oilers eight players – from defenceman Ladislav Smid, the only confirmed case of the H1N1 strain on the team to centre Shawn Horcoff - have been affected to some degree by the flu.

The Oilers have followed all the NHL’s protocols to minimize the spread of flu through the team. In fact, according to Tambellini, they took the proactive step of introducing precautionary measures back in training camp already, knowing that H1N1 could be an issue that they’d need to deal with.

“This isn’t something that just happened to us,” said Tambellini. “We’ve been doing all these things since day 1 – water bottles for every player, separate towels for every player. Our doctors and training staff have been on it since the start of the year.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1349899/

^If the Oilers don't go to a private clinic somewhere, I will respect them all the more. The comments in that article from the Flames about the strenous physical activity and so on, are so weak. If that were the case, every sports team, be they rugby, football, AHL, WHL, etc., would deserve priority.

C2E Continued Contributor

You would think they could have stopped at a US clinic on one of their many US trips and purchased the vaccine. Or stood in line like other people.
    The Calgary Flames response...
    http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=504660

Default Alberta H1N1 clinics to resume for young children, pregnant women

Alberta H1N1 clinics to resume for young children, pregnant women
    BY JODIE SINNEMA, EDMONTONJOURNAL.COMNOVEMBER 3, 2009 6:00 PM

EDMONTON — Five days after mass vaccination clinics closed their doors because of a dwindling supply and huge public demand, Alberta will reopen H1N1 flu vaccine clinics Thursday for children between the ages of six months and five years only, Alberta Health Services announced. Clinics will expand to welcome pregnant women on Friday.

The vaccine will not be available to other Albertans, including people under 65 with asthma, diabetes or other chronic health conditions, until a later date when the province has more vaccine available.

“Over the next few days, we’re going to focus exclusively on those two groups,” said Dr. Andre Corriveau, Alberta’s chief medical officer of health. He said kids under five years old are most susceptible to severe illness should they get the flu. Babies younger than six months old can’t receive the vaccine.

Full Story: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/healt...430/story.html

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by sweetcrude View Post

From the response:
    "The prudence of this approach has and will come under close scrutiny due to the controversial nature of the flu pandemic"

Controversial nature of the flu pandemic?

Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Chump View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetcrude View Post

From the response:
    "The prudence of this approach has and will come under close scrutiny due to the controversial nature of the flu pandemic"

Controversial nature of the flu pandemic?

Huh?
    Probably in reference to the 2nd part of the sentence... "full priority-based distribution system"

The prudence of this approach has and will come under close scrutiny due to the controversial nature of the flu pandemic and the recently-announced change to the vaccination protocol and move to a full priority-based distribution system.
    I don't know all the details surrounding the timing here, but there is certainly an appearance that the Calgary Flames have circumvented this "priority-based distribution system" and this is why people are upset. I can understand that the Calgary Flames would want to do this for their players. Hell, I wanted to do it for myself. Alas, I don't draw the same amount of water that them thar hockey players do, so I guess little ol' me (the tax-paying citizen) is SOL. And that is the problem isn't it?

Public Health officials have a great responsibility. If there is an emergency, we rely heavily on them to get things right and to make the best decisions possible for ALL. Some may take this lightly, but I don't. Ultimately it may be someone at Alberta Health Services who takes the blame, but it would be unfair to say that there wasn't any influence peddling going on here.

This Calgary Flames story has really touched a nerve with the general public. It's the top news story in all of the national newspapers and newscasts.

People were already cheesed off over the Alberta government's handling of the vaccination program. Now we are witness to the classic scenario of the elite and wealthy getting special privileges.

The timing couldn't be worse for Uncle Eddie and his two henchmen.

I almost feel sorry for Iginla for being forced to discuss flu shots instead of shots on goal.

Did anyone else see the story on the CBC's the National this evening about how Canada is exporting extra "bulk" vaccine to other countries instead of sending it away to be bottled for use here at home where it's needed?

Default Extra Canadian flu vaccines sent abroad

Extra Canadian flu vaccines sent abroad
    Last Updated: Wednesday, November 4, 2009 | 1:10 AM ET
    CBC News

Extra vaccine for the H1N1 virus has been exported out of Canada to other countries because producers are making more vaccines than can be stored in bottles, officials say.

Canada's chief public health officer Dr. David Butler-Jones said Tuesday that GlaxoSmithKline has shipped bulk quantities of the antigen, the main ingredient of the vaccine, out of the country.

Speaking in British Columbia, Butler-Jones said the bulk exports were allowed because Canada had enough for its purposes.

Butler-Jones said this move doesn't slow down the country's swine flu vaccination campaign.

The Public Health Agency of Canada said the vaccine antigen was sent to other manufacturing facilities in Europe and other countries several months ago.

Full Story: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/...swine-flu.html

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    I almost feel sorry for Iginla for being forced to discuss flu shots instead of shots on goal.
    key word - almost

Regarding the CBC story etownboarder linked to:

After reading the story, it's pretty clear that whoever created the headline decided to sitr the pot - just what we needed.

The last time I got a flu shot I had the flu 4 times that same season.

I'm very hesistant to get any type of flu shot because of my previous bad experience.

I hardly ever get the flu, and when I do, it lasts maybe 1/2 to a full day max.

I just take my Vitamin C (Redoxin) whenever I feel something coming and I feel fine the next day.

As for the H1N1, I'm not comfortable with the shot not know what type of side effects it might have. So far, no one has gotten ill from it, touch wood, but I'm still a bit squeamish.

Quote Originally Posted by jadzia2000 View Post
    Are you sure you didn't get 4 colds? I always thought there were only 1 or 2 flu strains going around in any given year, I find it beyond belief that anyone could catch 4. People often mistake a heavy cold for a flu.

I feel like death with this flu right now - if anyone survives 4 of these in a winter, hats off to you.

I hurt everywhere - my head, my skin, my limbs, my lungs, my cough. Since Sunday night I can't even get comfortable enough to rest withouconsuming lots of Tylenol and Motrin - and that makes me sweat right through my bedsheets. This really sucks.

I've had to put my four-year-old in a cold tub a few times already because even with children's tylenol and advil her fever is so high she's getting unresponsive.

I know I won't need hospital care, but it is a little scary being a parent right now. And I'm almost too sick to look after her.

Are you sure you didn't get 4 colds? I always thought there were only 1 or 2 flu strains going around in any given year, I find it beyond belief that anyone could catch 4. People often mistake a heavy cold for a flu.
    No. It was the flu.

My body was aching every time, chills, head hurting, completely restless. If it was a cold, I would have just been like "ah" runny nose, whatever. I felt like I was going to die, and it just hit me like a freight train every time.

C2E Super Addict

No. It was the flu.

My body was aching every time, chills, head hurting, completely restless. If it was a cold, I would have just been like "ah" runny nose, whatever. I felt like I was going to die, and it just hit me like a freight train every time.
    I don't doubt you were sick, but it could very well have been a bad cold, or other virus (RSV can cause very flu like symptoms in adults sometimes) or even bacterial. 4 influenza infections in one season - not possible. And most certainly - none of those infections you had were with the strain of flu virus you were vaccinated against - so the vaccine worked

never answered e-mail

No. It was the flu.

I don't doubt you were sick, but it could very well have been a bad cold, or other virus (RSV can cause very flu like symptoms in adults sometimes) or even bacterial. 4 influenza infections in one season - not possible. And most certainly - none of those infections you had were with the strain of flu virus you were vaccinated against - so the vaccine worked
    also, a fever is required for it to be "classified" as a flu

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/5161.php

No. It was the flu.

You're probably right.

Whatever it was, it felt horrible. So chances are I had at least 1 flu and something else making me really sick. I couldn't remember if I had a feaver.

However, the following years, never received a shot, and never got sick. So coincidence? Or just really careful?

H1N1 is hitting the fan!

Health care worker fired over Flames flu shot fiasco

An unidentified Alberta health care worker who allowed the Calgary Flames hockey team and players' families to privately receive H1N1 vaccinations last week has been fired and more disciplinary action against other staff members may follow, Alberta Health Services announced this afternoon.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/...rticle1351178/
    I wonder if Ken King, the Sutters, Jarome, and Kipper feel sheepish now that they got a health care worker fired?
    Last edited by North Guy66; 04-11-2009 at 03:09 PM.

never answered e-mail

^well, maybe Kipper is feeling sick to the stomach with guilt, he;s not playing against dallas

Partially Addicted to C2E

The firing of a senior Alberta Health official is getting a LOT of blog commentary at CBC.ca:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/st...socialcomments

This Flames flu shot fiasco has spawned a lot of grandstanding on both sides of the tiered health care flag. I myself think that someone got canned in order to deflect public attention from other H1N1 mismanagement at AB Health.

The Auditor General is possibly going to audit AB Health's entire H1N1 response program. Perhaps that will be drag some other bad decision makers into the open.
    Imagine: a world free of hypothetical situations!

What's amusing is the firing happened pretty swiftly. Usually controversies like this takes weeks or months to investigate. My guess is Uncle Eddie and Liepert are feeling the flames, quite literally.

As reservoircat is saying, this Flamesgate has touched a nerve with the populous. It is more about hockey players and flu shots, but about elitism in society.

The Flames do bear some blame just for having the audacity to ASK for the H1N1 vaccines while the news showed people lined-up for hours at the clinics. The old saying of "can't blame him for asking", does not apply here.

Just because I may or may not get it, I don't have the gall to ASK my rich co-worker for $1000.

The Flames organization brought this public relations nightmare onto themselves.
    Last edited by North Guy66; 04-11-2009 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    The Flames organization brought this public relations nightmare onto themselves.
    I agree. How could they not know how upset people would be if they found out? If they really felt they needed it, they should have just gone and stood in the line like anyone else could at that time. No need to "negotiate" with Alberta Health, they are no more special than any other employer.

Just to play devils advocate here, but arent some other employers bringing in inoculation clinics to the work site? And the point about what would happen if they all went and stood in line at once is at least a little valid, it may have added chaos to an already crowded situation. I think the only real problem with this private flames clinic was the timing. If there was sufficient vacinine in the first place, and priority access for high risk groups rather than a free for all it would be a moot point.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiran View Post
    Just to play devils advocate here, but arent some other employers bringing in inoculation clinics to the work site?
    Eventually, yes. But nobody has had an on-site H1N1 vaccine clinic yet. Some seasonal flu shots have made it to work sites already (depending on teh job), but not H1N1 shots.

The Flamers and their families jumped the queue. There's no way to spin this.

Just to play devils advocate here, but arent some other employers bringing in inoculation clinics to the work site?
    Eventually, yes.
    My workplace was told there won't be, only seasonal. I have heard that the vaccine was personally delivered and administered to doctors (which is a bit more understandable than rich hockey players and their families I guess).

Yeah, typically my employer brings the seasonal flu vaccine in for employees, but we were informed by AHS that that will not be feasible this year. Instead, we're all preregistered for free Tamiflu.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

so the flu hit the gitzel household...

No biggie here, we are sick but nothing like the killer flu hyped up in the media. The flu assessment center said most people will only develope mild symptoms. The only sucky part has been the runs.
    Last edited by edmonton daily photo; 05-11-2009 at 01:21 PM.

First One is Always Free

Eventually, yes.
    My workplace was told there won't be, only seasonal. I have heard that the vaccine was personally delivered and administered to doctors (which is a bit more understandable than rich hockey players and their families I guess).

My workplace is bringing in H1N1 vaccinations, but were told we had to wait until all the clinics were completed, and we'd be contacted. I suspect that is the protocol.

I think it's unfair to blame the Flames. They asked if it could be done, and it happened. Blame the bureaucracy for it. When they asked for it, there was no indication the province was about to run out. Like it or not, professional athletes and indeed many of our politicians get better medical treatment quite often, either because they're paying out of pocket or through insurance for extra coverage or to skip the line for diagnostics or specialists, or because they know the right person to call. In this case a bureaucrat made a boneheaded decision to give them preferential treatment within the public system, which was a big no-no on their part. But again, you can't blame the Flames for asking the question. Expecting hockey players to go stand in line for vaccinations is a bit unrealistic, it would create a complete circus no matter where they went.

I think it's inconsequential, and distracting from the real issue. That was maybe 100-200 doses, including other personnel, families etc. Meanwhile, whoever was in charge of the innocculation program must have been a complete and total ***** to have not anticipated that nearly everyone and their dog in the province (probably literally in some cases) would run screaming to the nearest clinic to get vaccinated the second it was made publicly available, and that we'd run out of it extremely quickly.

It's obvious that from the very start the province should have restricted the vaccine to high risk people only, such as young kids, seniors, pregnant women and the sick or frail. Everyone else should have been told to sit tight for a week to let those people get their vaccination first, and then open the floodgates to the public once we know we'll have enough for everyone.

It's mind boggling how poorly managed this has been.
    Last edited by raz0469; 04-11-2009 at 06:57 PM.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Default Vaccinate police now, commission says

Vaccinate police now, commission says
    Last Updated: Wednesday, November 4, 2009 | 4:49 PM MT
    CBC News

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/st...-priority.html

Police should be at the head of the line for the H1N1 vaccine, the Edmonton Police Commission said Wednesday afternoon.

"We are gravely concerned that Alberta Health Services has not arranged for police to have priority access to the H1N1 vaccine," the commission said in a news release.

"The Edmonton Police Commission and Chief Mike Boyd have made repeated requests to hold vaccination clinics for police officers who are at significant risk of contracting or spreading the H1N1 virus."

The statement said police should be regarded the same as health care and emergency medical service workers, who are considered priority candidates for the vaccine.

"Police maintain social order and provide an essential public service," the commission said. "In order to minimize social disruption and protect public security during a pandemic, police first responders must be given priority access to the H1N1 vaccine without further delay."
    Imagine: a world free of hypothetical situations!

lol, I assumed they would have included police as emergency responders. Mind boggling.

Thank you Raz. That was what I was trying to say, but I was rushed and less than articulate. And yes, police should be a no brainer, with hospital staff and EMTs.

never answered e-mail

The Calgary Flames' farm team jumps the queue in BC

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...u-vaccine.html

The Calgary Flames' farm team jumps the queue in BC

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...u-vaccine.html
    Sounds like a local doctor with his own supplies and some relation to the team going ahead and doing it. Again, I don't know that you can blame the either the farm team or the Flames. It's the health official or worker who has to say "no".

You registered but never posted. username to be deleted.

^Probably. It's being reported that many teams across Canada have had immunization, including the Leafs, the Raptors, several junior teams, etc.

Heard on the radio this morning that the Flames president is looking to get in contact with the person that got fired so that he can help them find another job.

Hahaha I wonder how good the Flame players feel about themselves. I wonder if Iggy or Kipper is going to wake up and be 'Boy its great to be a Flame! We are better than everyone else and deserve immediate access! We are famous! Why not?

ahahaha I bet you they feel like a big piece of ****

Does anyone know if any Flame players have apologized?
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

You registered but never posted. username to be deleted.

^Why should the players apologize? They are employees doing what their boss tells them to do. They should have zero knowledge about how the whole thing was set up.

Maybe that's playing the ignorance card, but it's really not their fault.

Quote Originally Posted by danimalrex View Post
    ^Why should the players apologize? They are employees doing what their boss tells them to do. They should have zero knowledge about how the whole thing was set up.

Its not their fault

But If I was in their situation, and I found out I was booted ahead of all the common folk just because im 'important' I would apologize. Its the least they can do.
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim

Iginla and others have been interviewed and said they were simply following team and doctor orders, and didn't realize anything was amiss, and they're sorry if anyone missed out on vaccine because of them. They're pretty sheepish about the whole thing.

Iginla and others have been interviewed and said they were simply following team and doctor orders, and didn't realize anything was amiss, and they're sorry if anyone missed out on vaccine because of them. They're pretty sheepish about the whole thing.
    Fair enough
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim

My friend and I went to Bonnie Doon to have her 6 month old baby immunized at 10:30am today. The line stretched from Tony Roma's to almost to Zellers. It was at least a 2.5 to 3 hour wait. I've never seen such a convoy of strollers.

She decided to try Commonwealth. The wait was only one hour and the line was always moving. It was a run very efficiently and orderly.

I was actually quite moved and overjoyed as I listened to all of the little ones wailing as they got their shots.

Did you make to admonish all the lazy mothers for not getting off their asses and doing it last week?

/sarcasm

Heard on the radio this morning that the Flames president is looking to get in contact with the person that got fired so that he can help them find another job.
    How valiant of the Flames to be so caring to their accomplice! The Flames public relations department should just tell Ken King to shut-up.

Did you make to admonish all the lazy mothers for not getting off their asses and doing it last week?

/sarcasm
    Nope. But the plan was to put a Calgary Flames bib on the baby (mom got it from Calgary relatives) and me wearing a Flames toque that I got from work. If a television camera would of approached us I would of said something sarcastic such as the baby is Dion Phaneuf's second cousin.
    Last edited by North Guy66; 05-11-2009 at 03:37 PM.

Just saw on Sportsnet that Kiprusoff is out with the flu. Ha ha.

In Guantanamo (Banned)

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade View Post

Its not their fault

But If I was in their situation, and I found out I was booted ahead of all the common folk just because im 'important' I would apologize. Its the least they can do.
    .......the whole "sports story" thing just serves to take folks attention away from the real culprits who have once again made our province a laughing stock.

Raptor and Leaf players also received shots that are being investigated. There are usually protocols in place for these shots, so whoever approved the Flames' shots at Alberta Health did breach that protocol.

There is plenty of blame to go around on this whole fiasco.

I do recall, though that since the day immunization became available, at least in Edmonton, there was a request that only those at high risk show up for shots. I don't think health officials expected so many healthy people to show up, despite requests not to do so.

I think people took this more seriously than they otherwise would once those two kids died in Ontario. After day 1, Alberta Health should have prioritized with ID, as they are doing now.

If there was a request in Edmonton that only high risk show up for shots it wasn't communicated clearly, because I don't recall it, and I was following the issue since I was debating on whether or not I would get the shot.

Edit: Actually I have a very vague recollection of them asking for only high risk on the first day, but again, not clearly or consistently communicated.

I specifically did not take my kids for the shot because of the request only "high risk" individuals take the shots.

If there was a request in Edmonton that only high risk show up for shots it wasn't communicated clearly, because I don't recall it, and I was following the issue since I was debating on whether or not I would get the shot.

Edit: Actually I have a very vague recollection of them asking for only high risk on the first day, but again, not clearly or consistently communicated.
    What I remember is that they specifically said the clinics were open to everyone but they were requesting that if you weren't in a high risk group to wait. Why they had any expectation that people would abide by this is beyond me.

Ontario's plan made more sense. Announce that clinics were for high groups only but don't bother screening rigorously at the actual clinics. That way most of the people who show up are high risk but you don't slow the process down with active screening.

What I remember is that they specifically said the clinics were open to everyone but they were requesting that if you weren't in a high risk group to wait. Why they had any expectation that people would abide by this is beyond me.

Ontario's plan made more sense. Announce that clinics were for high groups only but don't bother screening rigorously at the actual clinics. That way most of the people who show up are high risk but you don't slow the process down with active screening.
    If you go to the capital health website it clearly states who are at the most risk.

I'm surprised that so many people believe that they need it just as much as those who are at risk.

Default More groups eligible for H1N1 shots

More groups eligible for H1N1 shots
    BY HANNEKE BROOYMANS, EDMONTONJOURNAL.COMNOVEMBER 10, 2009 2:30 PM

EDMONTON — Starting Thursday, Alberta Health Services will begin offering H1N1 vaccine to more people at high risk of developing severe illness related to influenza. As the process continues, provincial officials say, no high risk groups will be removed from eligibility, only new ones will be added.

Starting Thursday, new groups being added include:

People with chronic conditions, aged 55 to 64 as of Nov. 1;

People with chronic conditions, aged 10 to 17 as of Nov. 1. (Combined with the group added last week, this group now ranges from 5 to 17).

On Friday, immunization groups will expand further to include:

People with chronic conditions, aged 45 to 54 as of Nov. 1.

When more vaccine becomes available from the manufacturer, the targeted immunization program will be expanded to include other high risk groups, health officials say.

Previously announced high-risk groups continue to be eligible:

Both parents or one parent and one caregiver of infants under six months of age;

Any children over six months and under five years as of November 1 (not required to have a chronic condition in this age group); and

Pregnant women.

Full Story: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/healt...321/story.html

GRRRRRRrrrrrr.... As a type 1 diabetic, I am furious that I still can't get a shot.

^Not in the right age group? Surely that is a chronic condition? You will probably soon be on the list (ahead of my 8 year old child).

Not in the right age group... I'm older than 17, and younger than 55.

Now that I am almost fully recovered, I have to say that this is a bad flu.

my four-year-old and I first got ill on the night of Sunday, November 1, and my fever broke Saturday morning. I have still had a bad cough and need to sleep for 14 hours a day until today. My kid STILL has a fever and cough.

Default Alberta to reopen H1N1 clinics to public this week: Liepert

Alberta to reopen H1N1 clinics to public this week: Liepert
    BY JASON FEKETE, CALGARY HERALDNOVEMBER 16, 2009 2:03 PM

CALGARY - The Alberta government will make the H1N1 flu vaccine available to the general public starting later this week, Health Minister Ron Liepert said this afternoon.

Following chaotic lineups in the first week of the rollout and a vaccine shortage, the provincial government closed their H1N1 flu vaccine clinics across the province, but has since re-opened them to high-risk patients, health-care workers and emergency responders.

Dr. Andre Corriveau, Alberta’s chief medical officer of health, will announce more details of the rollout to the general public later this afternoon, the health minister said.

Full Story: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/healt...321/story.html

I received my H1N1 shot on Saturday afternoon at Westmount... but there was one problem, they weren't offering the seasonal flu shot at the same time like they were a couple weeks ago. Does anyone have any idea where/what to do to get the seasonal flu shot?

You dont ned a shot. The flu has peaked.

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal Fang View Post
    You dont ned a shot. The flu has peaked.
    This is only the so-called "second wave".

There will be a third wave in the start of the new year.

never answered e-mail

Alberta considers measures to keep flu lines down

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/st...al-pbulic.html

"We will give people wristbands and ... we'll give them a specific time to come back," the senior medical officer of health for Alberta Health Services, Dr. Gerry Predy, said Thursday.

"I think when they come back, they come back to the front of the line. So that's worked in some of the busy days when we've used it and we will use that if necessary."
    May I suggest a better approach?

I went today with one of my children at 12.30pm at Westmount. There was no que at all, we we had our shots, and were out by 1pm.

never answered e-mail

I went today with one of my children at 12.30pm at Westmount. There was no que at all, we we had our shots, and were out by 1pm.
    well I would expect that still considering it's not open to the general public yet. I went a few days ago as well and was in and out in half an hour.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/H1N1+...455/story.html

^Actually, as of today, it is open to all children, and their parents. That's pretty general publicish. They informally told me that they are not checking either anymore, given how few people. I expect this weekend will be busier as the school kids go there.

First One is Always Free

Default Let's go get shot!

H1N1 vaccine is available on Monday to all Albertans. Are you planning to get one shot after a long line up???

Source: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/healt...455/story.html
    Change that we need...

Might have to revise the thread title. I thought it was a heading for a hunting group or a new way to get drunk!
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

I received my H1N1 shot on Saturday afternoon at Westmount... but there was one problem, they weren't offering the seasonal flu shot at the same time like they were a couple weeks ago. Does anyone have any idea where/what to do to get the seasonal flu shot?
    Believe it or not - Safeway. At the Oliver Square location, at least, but I suspect at any Safeway pharmacy.

Costco was offering them in their stores that have pharmacies.
    Go ahead, speed pass me... I'll meet you at the next red light.

^there may not be much point in getting the seasonal vaccine. My understanding is that virtually all flu is H1N1 now. Next year, the seasonal might be a variant of H1N1. If that happens, the current seasonal may disappear for a while. Then one day in the future, the seasonal (perhaps H3N2) will come back as a pandemic, and those of us alive today will have some immunity, just as people who are old have some immunity to H1N1 from exposure when they were young. But then, I might be wrong .
    Last edited by moahunter; 21-11-2009 at 12:31 PM.

I got it about a month back. It didn't do anything but offer comfort and relief.

Default Edmonton H1N1 vaccination clinics open to all

Edmonton H1N1 vaccination clinics open to all
    Last Updated: Monday, November 23, 2009 | 9:53 AM MT
    CBC News

A man receives his H1N1 vaccination at Edmonton's Commonwealth Stadium clinic Monday. (James Hees/CBC)Alberta's H1N1 vaccination clinics opened to the general public Monday for the first time since late October when long lineups and vaccine shortages prompted the province to suspend the program, then reopen it to high-risk groups only.

Anyone over the age of six months is now eligible for the vaccine, which targets the H1N1 influenza virus.

Lineups were minimal at the Commonwealth Stadium clinic, where Mia Abe was one of the first people waiting for the 9 a.m. opening.

"I work with children and so I'm kind of like in contact with a lot of people all the time, and I just wanted to protect myself and protect my co-workers, " she said.

Abe tried getting her shot in late October when the province was offering it to the general public, but the prospect of a wait in excess of four hours turned her away.

Full Story: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/st...al-public.html

Edmonton H1N1 clinic locations:

Westmount Shopping Centre.
    Commonwealth Stadium.
    Northgate Centre.
    Millbourne Mall.
    Rutherford Centre.
    Grandin Park Plaza, St. Albert.
    Strathcona County Health Centre.

Default Alberta health officials warn of H1N1 third wave

Alberta health officials warn of H1N1 third wave
    BY RICHARD WARNICA, EDMONTONJOURNAL.COMNOVEMBER 26, 2009 4:56 PM

EDMONTON — The second wave of the H1N1 flu pandemic has peaked, but transmission of the virus continues and a third wave could hit before Christmas, provincial health officials warned Thursday as they again urged Albertans to get vaccinated against the disease.

“Our best chance of avoiding a significant third wave in early winter would be to get as many Albertans immunized as possible,” said Dr. Andre Corriveau, the province’s chief medical officer of health. “So we’re going to keep trying hard to convince people who haven’t done so yet to avail themselves of the opportunity to get immunized.”

Close to 850,000 Albertans have received the H1N1 vaccine since mass immunization began almost four weeks ago, said Dr. Gerry Predy, the senior medical officer of health for Alberta Health Services.

Full Story: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/healt...893/story.html

^ The first two waves have passed and relatively nothing has happened. The story has been beaten to death in the media.

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    ^ The first two waves have passed and relatively nothing has happened.
    Really? I have heard that hospital staff have been worked off their feet. Maybe that is nothing to you, but is something to those who have to deal with the impact.

Quote Originally Posted by borntohula View Post
    ^ The first two waves have passed and relatively nothing has happened. The story has been beaten to death in the media.
    Correct,

Hype and nothing more. Fear sells.
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast