Thread: How Many Halloween Kids Do You Plan For?

Partially Addicted to C2E

Default How Many Halloween Kids Do You Plan For?

Well, wifey and I have goody bags for approximately 50 kids ready this Saturday Oct 31. We also have fallback candy for another 20, if we get swarmed.

Do kids trick or treat in your E-town neighborhood? How many do you plan for?
    Imagine: a world free of hypothetical situations!

Zero. Adult only condo.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

We never get more than a dozen. Most of the kids in our neighborhood head to Alexander Circle.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

I think we had single digits last year, but we closed up shop at 8pm. might stay open later.

go out to the burbs and it's not uncommon to get 150+

I get around 40-60 kids. Beverly resident.
    FREE THE LOOPING .GIF MEMES
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

I get 60 to 80, and I find year after year that the little kids say "thank you" and the older kids who are in their teens seldom do.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

^
    Teen hater

I have never had a problem with Teens at my door.
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

You registered but never posted. username to be deleted.

We had a little over 100 last year, but everyone down here is planning for more this year.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

weather's going to be decent so I'd plan for extras, depending on where you live, of course. We've had anything from 2 to 100 in Strathearn in the last 25 years but usually bad weather cuts the numbers a lot.

Well about 75 but someone has opened the Halloween candy and if I do not go out and buy more there will only be enough for 5
    I have conversed with the worst kind of hectoring, bully pulpit smart-a**e*; dripping with virtuous self-aggrandizing sanctimony.................. and that's just on this forum.

I'd rather C2E than work!

We're in Westmount and usually have 20 or 30 kids come by. Teens are required to sing for their treats.

Unfortunately this year we are the house of flu so we'll likely be keeping the door closed.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

In Windsor Park, I'm lucky if I get 20 kids...

None. Condo. Going our for Halloween party round 2. Round 1 last night was a success.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

every year there seems to be less and less kids. more candy for me though so im happy.

Its a change from the olden days though, back in the day me and my friends would hit up half of west edmonton for candy. pro tip: if you ring someones doorbell at 2:00 am usually they will give you whatever they had left. man we used to clean up

If someone rang my bell at 2am... I wouldn't be giving them any candy, I would be super ****** off. 2am is much too late to be trick-or-treating.

^haha ya some of them were kinda like wtf, but in the end you got exponentially more candy.

We had 9 last year.
    Surely , not everyone was Kung Fu fighting.

OK, we just finished hosting 49 kids. They started visiting at 5:35pm, and our last visitor was at 8:15pm.

Our very first trick-or-treater was a young lass who was dressed as an iPhone. Her costume was splendid, with an iPod interface color printed on some large high-quality poster paper. The height of her costume must have been 3.5 feet tall and 1.5 feet wide. Very cool.

we had 18. My teenagers will appreciate the leftover candy, though.

C2E Continued Contributor

We only buy a couple items to give out, because every year, we usually have between 1-3 kids only.

We planned for 20.... got 0
    Surely , not everyone was Kung Fu fighting.

We had 18 this year, but only 8 or so were actual kids... the rest were U of A students who haven't grown up yet.

We had about 50 kids and planned for a 100 so I gained 10lbs..

Just Kidding.

We handed out more stuff to each kid because volume was down.

I attribute it to H1N1 and either kids families being sick or not wanting to risk it.

Really have to commend all the great Halloween displays on front yards here in Millwoods.

MWTC mall also had some good things going on for the kids and giving out a lot of candy.

It was packed and further evidence of a well run, community connected mall.

You registered but never posted. username to be deleted.

At final count, we were up from last year by about 50% (150).

Probably 80% little ones, with the remainder being teens (most of whom actually put some solid effort into their costumes) and two groups of adults with dynamite costumes (they didn't really want the candy, they were just out having a lot of fun).

Plenty of new front yard displays in the neighbourhood too. Good to see people getting back into the spirit of the event.

never answered e-mail

Westmount - we had about 100-125 figured via reverse engineering and minus what I ate

Alberta Avenue - we had 100+ kids. Parents were in costumes, too. This is a great neighborhood for Halloween with the spooky tree-lined streets, houses with front verandas close to the curb, and houses all close together.

Halloween is such great fun. I wish November 1 was a National Holiday instead of Thanksgiving. Seriously. Thanksgiving's got nothing on Halloween. Just think about it:

Halloween - costumes, decorations, parties, trick-or-treats, spooky movies, spooky music
    Thanksgiving - turkey

Why is Thanksgiving even a holiday again?

I think Thanksgiving has much more meaning to Americans than to us blessed-but-complacent Canadians. Thanksgiving is an American family holiday that is agnostic, so American families of all religions can participate in November 21.

And regarding Alberta Avenue: that's awesome that there is good participation in your part of the city, MrOilers. Here in my part of the burbs, there used to be hundreds of kids halloweening years ago. But the natural maturation of the demographic, plus H1N1 and social fears, have shrunken the participation considerably.

C2E Long Term Contributor

its seems sad how few kids apparently go out for Halloween these days... and also how they go out with the mini-van stalking them down the street or to malls.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Had 73 kids. Beverly. Last one at 8:40
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    its seems sad how few kids apparently go out for Halloween these days... and also how they go out with the mini-van stalking them down the street or to malls.
    "trick or treat" is only acceptable in the mall if it's -30 outside.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

65 in Riverbend, from 5:40pm until 8:49pm.

One parent on my block told me that she takes her kids trick or treating at the mall because she's scared of people putting poison/razorblades/needles in candy they give out door-to-door. I am not even kidding.

I told her there's a higher chance of getting killed in a car accident driving her kids to and from the mall.

Then again, she's the same woman who told me she doesn't like Hawaii "because of all the Chinese people there."

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Alberta Avenue - we had 100+ kids. Parents were in costumes, too. This is a great neighborhood for Halloween with the spooky tree-lined streets, houses with front verandas close to the curb, and houses all close together.
    Interesting. Only about 75 of them made it to my house. Maybe it was because only about half of the houses our block were handing out candy.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium48 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Interesting. Only about 75 of them made it to my house. Maybe it was because only about half of the houses our block were handing out candy.
    Maybe. Most of the houses on my street for a couple of blocls were really decked-out with halloween decorations, lights, sound effects, etc.

I live in old Riverbend. Only about 5 kids total.

I bought enough for about 50 kids because I thought we'd see a lot due to the nice weather.

I bought a 24X28 gram bags pack of Cheezies which I'll have no issues with either way. Not sure how it goes, but I'm close enough to a grocery store if I need more.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Zilch. Zero. Nada.

I live in a multifamily building with floor-by-floor security so nobody can get to my floor except my fellow floor residents.

Ahhh the joys of central living.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Zilch. Zero. Nada.

I live in a multifamily building with floor-by-floor security so nobody can get to my floor except my fellow floor residents.

Ahhh the joys of central living.
    Yeah that's too bad. But the security is nice otherwise I guess.

I quite enjoy not having to deal with solicitors, even wee costumed ones.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    I quite enjoy not having to deal with solicitors, even wee costumed ones.
    Solicitors. Haha.

I like life taking place around me. Anyway, someday I'll likely be sitting alone for weeks or months, forgotten in some nursing home so until then I'll enjoy the real world around me.

We're on a side street so only get around 20 or so. Around the corner they'll get double that at least. This year my neighbour is planning to have a fire out front so maybe we'll attract some more.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    We're on a side street so only get around 20 or so. Around the corner they'll get double that at least. This year my neighbour is planning to have a fire out front so maybe we'll attract some more.
    Excellent. Soon to be carbon taxed, but excellent. I've sure appreciated the odd little fire along Candy Cane Lane.

Haha. I'll be in a house in a year or two, so I'm gonna enjoy my last couple years of peace & tranquility. I'm actually excited to introduce my Swedish wife to all of our holiday traditions once she's here full-time. She finds it all highly amusing.

I wasn't counting but I'd guess only about 25 kids last night.

Just heard a lady on the radio talking about getting 1600+ kids last night. We got maybe 15 although four blocks away on 126th street some friends figure they got 150+.

0 last night
    Forget world peace. Visualize using your turn signal.

160 kids last night at my house. 68 parents as well

The parents come to my house because I was handing out my annual tradition. Cups of HOT mulled wine. Parents were sending other parents to our house.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    160 kids last night at my house. 68 parents as well

The parents come to my house because I was handing out my annual tradition. Cups of HOT mulled wine. Parents were sending other parents to our house.
    Hmmmm, I think we need to try this at my house. Might up our traffic.

We had maybe 20. I took the kids south of 112 for the first time last night and it's like a different world. Huge crowds, pretty much always another party at the door at the same time. Less candy per house, but more party.
    There can only be one.

We were expecting about 100 with the reasonably decent weather, but only got 70. Participation on my block was rather poor - half the houses were dark.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    I bought a 24X28 gram bags pack of Cheezies which I'll have no issues with either way. Not sure how it goes, but I'm close enough to a grocery store if I need more.
    My wife bought a box of 6 of those. Half of them are still in my living room.

Journal reporting about 1000 kids on a popular street in Summerside. I'd blow my brains out. Saw the first kids making their way down the street last night, so I went for a haircut and then to the gym.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

There were kids out at 5:30, in broad daylight. Thankfully not on my street, but that's nuts. It's got to be dark.
    There can only be one.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Journal reporting about 1000 kids on a popular street in Summerside. I'd blow my brains out. Saw the first kids making their way down the street last night, so I went for a haircut and then to the gym.
    So you didn't know that on Halloween, hair stylists often get an uncontrollable craving and have been known to carve out your brains, eh.

http://blogcritics.org/wp-content/up...15/04/cut4.jpg

https://scrublife.files.wordpress.co...ach1.jpg?w=497
    Last edited by KC; 01-11-2016 at 11:26 AM.

^^ If the fall time change was moved back to the end of October like it used to be, it would be almost dark at 5:30 on Halloween. It would also be light out before most people needed to be at work.

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    So you didn't know that on Halloween, hair stylists often get an uncontrollable craving and have been known to carve out your brains, eh.

http://blogcritics.org/wp-content/up...15/04/cut4.jpg

https://scrublife.files.wordpress.co...ach1.jpg?w=497
    Acceptable risks.

Quote Originally Posted by Titanium48 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    My wife bought a box of 6 of those. Half of them are still in my living room.
    I got too keep all of my Cheezies! Condo life, I guess.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

In our old house, we would get consistently 25-30 kids a year. I would keep track of it every year.

We moved across the street to a new infill. We got something like 50 this year. I think mostly just parents wanting to peek inside.

I got 5 kids. 5!
    I was very disappointed.
    Non semper erit aestas

48 last night!! Rundle Heights area
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

Maybe 70 80 kids tonight. With the cold and snow I thought it would be slower. Lots of little kids too!!

Yeah, we had about 70. I think that's the lowest turnout we've had since we moved here in 2010. Not bad considering it was a weeknight and the weather the way it was, I guess.

We only had 25. They were so polite.

Living in a condo, we didn't have any, so this was kind of nice..😆

I rushed to put out some Halloween decorations. Just realizing that I’ve had it. Sckwards sll these years, dressing up the house for Christmas for what? And then doing minimal for Halloween when decorating the house would make a difference by getting little kids excited about the event.

C2E Posting Power

Turned off the lights somewhere north of 350.....ran out of candy...

We only had about 60 here in the hood, and our house was dressed up with decorations and lights so no mistake we were giving out treats. It was an odd night and didn't feel that much like Halloween. We had Charlie Brown at our door as well, (Not wearing the costume, but some kid just saying as he leaves our door "I don't know what it is, I just don't like Halloween, I like Thanksgiving" Sorry Kid, I don't got no turkey treats..
    It was just funny but most of the kids seemed bored and indifferent to it rather than excited. They were all friendly and nice. Should say as well that probably 40 were teens. We had very few children come to the door. The largest component were people in high school. Again just kind of odd. To me suggests that the younger ones just are not interested.

Bozo of the night award goes to the young adult speeding down the residential street on Halloween with kids crossing streets. The other one being ETS busses (we are on a route) whizzing by at normal peak speed not even adjusting their speed on this night.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Normally we'd get a lot more teens. Hardly any last night. Lots of tiny little creatures though. Was really nice to see!

Only one believed my dog was actually cat in a dog costume.

Down to about 50 at my house this year. I'm sure the rain didn't help, nor did the further reduced participation by residents. Sad in a neighborhood filled with old houses and old trees with so much Halloween potential.

70-80 kids, probably the lowest I've ever seen at my place. Two years ago it was easily double that. Fewer decorations this year than ever, too. I think the cold and rainy Tuesday evening didn't do much for this year's holiday.

0, zero, zilch, eff-all. I never get any kids trick-or-treating in my secure adult-only building, so I don't even bother buying candy.

My Halloween evening tradition the past few years is a trip to Deadmonton House, but only if I'm able to snag a speed pass because I hate standing in line in this weather. This is the final weekend for it.
    http://deadmontonhouse.com/
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012