Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: The next issues/suggestions for C2E thread

  1. #1

    Default The next issues/suggestions for C2E thread

    The latest site suggestions thread.

    Some information about what we just did would be nice I guess. You might not notice anything different at all and you might in fact notice more problems than before on the front page (and maybe in the forums too). Certain features are missing and it looks like the downtime was for nothing. Don't be disappointed though.

    What we basically did was move the entire front end system over to a new CMS that should allow us to add some great new features more easily (once we get everything else back up and running). Also we have finally moved the server onto it's own VPS so we aren't sharing infrastructure anymore and we have more control. This control also allow us to monitor/diagnose/fix these stubborn database errors that are seem to still be kicking around.

    Of course, with mo' changes come mo' problems. So please, be a good C2E citizen and let us know here when/if you experience oddities and issues. The only thing we ask is for more of your understanding and patience with any problems.
    Last edited by RichardS; 12-11-2009 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Changed first line, but Ceres' initial OP was otherwise appropriate.
    Time to grow up.

  2. #2
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Meadows
    Posts
    1,976

    Default

    Bring back most popular discussion and get a Mark Your Spot map.
    $2.00 $2.25 $2.50 $2.75 $2.85 $3.00 $3.20 $3.25

  3. #3
    C2E Continued Contributor
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Royal Gardens
    Posts
    1,698

    Default

    Is there a way to add a box on the side of each new topic on New Posts so if you are not interested in a subject you can just check it off with the other 120 ones that you are not interested in so it removes all the clutter quickly so you can read what interests you? Left for 3 days last weekend and it just took me 30 minutes to remove all the deadwood topics so I can see topics that interest me quicker. Not sure if this is possible or is there some sort of other techie trick (bit of a luddite) to make it easier.
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

  4. #4

    Default

    When the WLRT consultation was on, there was an interesting little "agree" "diagree" button next to each post, with a running score. How about that on C2E?

  5. #5
    C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    3,855

    Default

    I would love to see a sticky somewhere where people can post flight deals they come across leaving from Edmonton. I'm an opportunistic traveller and like to pounce on great flight deals.

    I missed out on the Edmonton-Tokyo deal earlier this year that had a return flight with taxes in for under $400. Had I known about it in time, we likely would have jumped on that.

  6. #6

    Default CHAT Plugin

    I have a forum where alternative energy is discussed, and one feature that we have implemented and is used quite extensively, is a CHAT box. Folks love it and use it a lot.

    I can see it being especially useful here for communicating in real time.

    A CHAT plugin for vbulletin is available here

    Regards,
    .99

  7. #7

    Default

    ^ That seems to be a very old plug-in unfortunately. The last time it was updated was 2005 and I am not sure how long it will work for (if at all).
    Time to grow up.

  8. #8

    Default

    Indeed, there are other CHAT plugins available:

    1) 123 Flashchat
    2) AJAX Chat (the one we use)
    3) Flasherize
    4) etc...just google "vbulletin chat"

    .99

  9. #9

    Default

    Indeed, there are several chat plugins available.

    "Just Google vbulletin chat".

    I did a post with links, but it didn't go through for some reason.

    .99

  10. #10

    Default

    When multiple threads are merged, it would be great to know which posts didn't originate in the thread for continuity purposes. For instance, certain posts in the Vancouver Olympics Thread mention an OP, when the OP of the thread itself didn't say anything relevant to that post, and there are posts mentioning the thread's location in other parts of the forum than the one it's in.

    I've seen threads (don't remember which, specifically) where merged posts are labeled as such and which post they originated from, so would the mods please do this every time a thread is merged?
    Last edited by JOA; 13-02-2010 at 11:48 AM. Reason: sticky h key :(

  11. #11
    Forum Administrator *
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,566
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    While we often try to make this transition as smooth as possible, there are times when a thread gets too large too fast that we cannot do so without compromising the integrity of the posts.

    Thanks for the feedback.

  12. #12
    C2E Super Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Saskatchewan
    Posts
    1,329

    Default

    Just a thought as I was squinting and zooming on this site on my wife's iPhone...

    What about a C2E mobile version? I imagine it would take very little of your time (kidding) and I know you all have nothing better to do (also kidding)

    Just thowing it out there. I appreciate the amount of work that goes into this place. Well to tell you the truth I can't honestly appreciate it - because I have no idea!

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    While we often try to make this transition as smooth as possible, there are times when a thread gets too large too fast that we cannot do so without compromising the integrity of the posts.

    Thanks for the feedback.
    What about a mention of merged posts in the title or first post then? I understand that the way some threads fill up it isn't feasible to tag every post when merging, but surely it's possible and feasible make at least a single mention of merged threads.

  14. #14
    Forum Administrator *
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    2,566
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chump View Post
    Just a thought as I was squinting and zooming on this site on my wife's iPhone...

    What about a C2E mobile version? I imagine it would take very little of your time (kidding) and I know you all have nothing better to do (also kidding)

    Just thowing it out there. I appreciate the amount of work that goes into this place. Well to tell you the truth I can't honestly appreciate it - because I have no idea!
    That is a great idea, but there is no budget. Seriously, there is no budget. Contrary to popular belief, C2E is not city funded or EEDC funded. So, while we have our day jobs to pay for things, and we give what we can to keep this site up, there simply isn't the time to do so.

    We do have plans to make this thing much more interactive and expand its scope considerably. Once we get the cash, we've got the battle plan to make it so, and a mobile version is well in the cards as a first step.

    Quote Originally Posted by JOA View Post
    What about a mention of merged posts in the title or first post then? I understand that the way some threads fill up it isn't feasible to tag every post when merging, but surely it's possible and feasible make at least a single mention of merged threads.
    Again, a good point, but that depends on the time of the moderator that did the merging, or even the diverging into multiple threads from a single massive thread that happened to go off topic. We rely on volunteers and their time in this economy is extremely limited and simply sometimes we forget the small steps. We will try to make it easier, but we also ask for your patience.

    Thanks!

  15. #15
    C2E Super Addict
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Saskatchewan
    Posts
    1,329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Admin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chump View Post
    Just a thought as I was squinting and zooming on this site on my wife's iPhone...

    What about a C2E mobile version? I imagine it would take very little of your time (kidding) and I know you all have nothing better to do (also kidding)

    Just thowing it out there. I appreciate the amount of work that goes into this place. Well to tell you the truth I can't honestly appreciate it - because I have no idea!
    That is a great idea, but there is no budget. Seriously, there is no budget. Contrary to popular belief, C2E is not city funded or EEDC funded. So, while we have our day jobs to pay for things, and we give what we can to keep this site up, there simply isn't the time to do so.

    We do have plans to make this thing much more interactive and expand its scope considerably. Once we get the cash, we've got the battle plan to make it so, and a mobile version is well in the cards as a first step.
    I can very much appreciate that. If / when you ever set up a donation system I'd be prepared to ante up.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •