Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,300 of 1381

Thread: Transit Service to EIA | Planning/Discussion

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by lightrail View Post
    New local Leduc bus routes and service to the Airport from Leduc.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...439/story.html

Looks good but I still think Greater Edmonton would be better served by a regional transit system based on the BC Transit model.
    Thats what the regional transit study currently underway at the CRB will address.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Route 747 celebrates 100,000+ rider milestone
    Wednesday, August 21, 2013
    Media invited to celebration

August 21, 2013 (Edmonton, AB) – Edmonton Transit System (ETS) & Edmonton International Airport (EIA) are celebrating the milestone of 100,000 riders served by regularly scheduled bus service between Century Park and EIA. Media are invited to attend.

ETS began operating Route 747 in April 2012, linking Edmonton International Airport into the City of Edmonton’s public transit system. This convenient, low-cost transportation option to EIA has grown steadily in popularity, with Route 747 now carrying over 10,000 passengers per month, and reaching the 100,000 rider mark in August 2013.
    http://corporate.flyeia.com/news/rou...ider-milestone

C2E Long Term Contributor

Such a great cost effective way to get out there. 55mins door to door from my condo downtown for $5 because I have an ETS pass from work.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Hard Core Contributor
    Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

It's a lot easier to plan for it also. I once had to take the Shuttle service from downtown. I thought I was leaving plenty of time, but apparently there were bad traffic jams. I wound up taking a taxi because it was there and the shuttle certainly wasn't. Taxi wasn't speedy either because there really were traffic jams but at least I knew I wasn't going to be stopping at southern hotels. At the point of the city where Century Park station is the traffic jam of course dissipated.

Now that I can use Route 747, I can take a train past most traffic jams and then a truly scheduled ride out to the airport. I've even used this to meet family at the airport and in preference to taking a bus from their hotel (they gave me a ride to the airport on their way to flying out). I hope it gets even more popular so it stays.

Eve

C2E SME

I think that the 747 bus should serve as a testament to improving transit service on key routes. For example, it would be great if Sherwood Park had a direct bus to Century Park, or St. Albert had a Century Park-WEM-St. Albert route to connect with the 747 route.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    I think that the 747 bus should serve as a testament to improving transit service on key routes. For example, it would be great if Sherwood Park had a direct bus to Century Park, or St. Albert had a Century Park-WEM-St. Albert route to connect with the 747 route.
    Route 737: WEM to EIA. Charge $8 for the extra distance compared to Century Park. St. Albertans can bus to WEM and transfer there.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by Dialog View Post
    Route 737: WEM to EIA. Charge $8 for the extra distance compared to Century Park. St. Albertans can bus to WEM and transfer there.
    That could be done with an extension of the 747 via Anthony Henday to WEM. Hummm. Interesting idea.
    ETS Trolley Buses - 1939 to 2010 - R.I.P.

^
    Would there be enough demand to instead run an express bus from West Ed to Century Park? In addition to being a feeder for the 747, this would more readily allow transit from the south side to West Ed and vice-versa for workers, students, and shoppers/tourists. Alternatively, you could have a shorter express route to South Campus/Fort Edmonton Station. It'd be faster for either route to go on the Whitemud rather then the Henday.
    Last edited by Ustauk; 27-08-2013 at 09:10 AM.

There's already the route 23 that runs from WEM to Century Park in 28 minutes. It does make stops along the way but making it a full express wouldn't shave that much time off of it. It also rums to CP from Mill Woods as an express already, that takes 12 minutes.

I hope is starts early and goes downtown Edmonton so we can get it early enough for the 6am flights. The LRT is of zip use for Edmontonian's for flights before 0830.

C2E SME

I know that this is a little off topic, but I think it would be great to have a transit map that shows key routes and travel times between LRT stations and transit centres. Rather than looking at a web of routes, key routes would be easier to understand with frequencies and travel times.

That would work well with a local map just showing the routes that operate from each transit centre.

There should be express routes that operate between transit centres and major transfer points (like Bonnie Doon) that would essentially function as LRT.

I took the 747 on the way back from the airport yesterday. I have used it a couple of times before and I think it's a great service. It seems to be growing in popularity too. I was on the 1:30 p.m. bus and it was almost completely full. My only complaint is that it doesn't run every half hour mid-day. If it did, I would definitely use it more.

It would also be nice if you could buy one ticket at the airport for an integrated 747 and regular ETS trip.

Strong agree.

The only major problems with the service:

- Frequency
    - Interlining

That said, ridership is only now meeting expectations, so perhaps frequency will be able to respond accordingly.
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Happy to hear the service seems to be getting busier. The frequency should improve with more people using it one would hope.

Let's hope so.

Just got back from Shanghai via Vancouver. Vancouver to dt is $9. Shanghai via maglev is about $15 (8 minutes) or about $1.25 if you take the subway (40 minutes).
    www.decl.org

I came in from YVR on Monday morning. I got the earliest flight out at 06:50 which got me to YEG at about 09:20. By the time I got my baggage it was 09:32 which meant I just missed the bus. No worries I thought just get a coffee and catch the 10:00 o'clock. Unfortunately that is when they switch to an hourly schedule. My point being the schedule does not work for people coming in from Vancouver.
    The 10:30 bus had about 20 people which I thought was a pretty load and could justify a 10:00 bus.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

^ Not only Vancouver, but there are several flights both in and outbound which are awkwardly served. I think the original route design was based more around airport jobs than air passengers.

Also in addition to the 20 people on your bus, there could easily have been 30 others who just said "screw it, ain't waitin', takin' a cab."

It's as nice as bus rides get around here, but I think it's not until we see 10 or 15 minute frequency (and an LED departures board at the baggage carousels) that there's an important modal shift.

^^That is maybe the kind of feedback ETS/FlyEIA needs to hear
    www.decl.org

^^ Yep JB - it's a great non-stop service that needs to be built for O/D passengers.

Seriously, living DT - taking the LRT and 747 - same time versus driving and parking time plus connections to the terminal, even less.

OTOH, daily business visitors from YYC, would happily use the 747/LRT given reasonable connection times.

Well said.
    ... gobsmacked

The hope is to one day have lrt out to the airport. What does everyone think about coach style buses being used on this route before that? I really don't know if that's necessary or if it would encourage more use.

Great to see the service being used but I have a question.

If 27 scheduled round trips per day = 54 one way trips x 30 days per month =1,620 trips per month. 10,000 passengers per month/ 1,620 trips is just over 6 passengers/trip.

Why do you need one of these?

When one of these are more fuel efficient and cost much less to run?

I would rather see the frequency run up to 40 times a day using two vans.

I guess that the optics of ETS using the same type like private shuttle services or the taxi industry are just to great.
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 23-04-2014 at 11:40 PM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Either that or the ridership isn't evenly spread out through the day, and the demand warrants a bus during the busy times. Switching vehicles multiple times per shift is probably less cost effective than just running a mostly empty bus.

I think the biggest expense on the route is probably the driver; running two drivers more frequently on either the full size buses or two of the "community buses" as ETS calls them (pictured below), is probably too expensive to justify doing on the off peak hours, at least for now.

Picture from ETS Community Bus Virtual Tour Site

The private companies supplying shuttle service (which the 747 is) use vans and less expensive types than what ETS buys.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Not even going into depth on the "bus turbulence" those Elf buses are (very) prone to, excess capacity is not strictly a bad thing.

Would I think twice about relying on the service if I thought there were a chance I couldn't get a seat on a mini-bus, and thus jeopardise my chances of getting on my flight?

I think so.

Is there a chance that Elf bus capacity could be exceeded by demand for any given flight?

I think so.

Smaller busses would not work. There are times I have seen 20+ people on the bus plus luggage. Increased frequency and another bus at 1 am is needed (the last LRT could be extended to meet this final bus). A lot of the US arrivals miss the 12 midnight bus at this time.

As I said, I would rather see the frequency run up to 40 times a day using two vans.

I wonder if ETS did a cost analysis and went out for bids from a private contractor? I doubt it. Now with proven demand, should the cost analysis of public vs private be done?

I believe that Leduc may run off-peak buses to the airport to connect to the 747 when they start their own peak hour service to Century Park. This could add a few passengers to the mix. I say keep it as ETS but figure out a way to allow for single ticket travel.

C2E Continued Contributor

Route 747 really should be increased in frequency to every half-hour all day, not just peak hours. I was using it last Thursday around noon to catch a flight to Vancouver, and it was so full that 3 or 4 passengers had to stand the whole way from Century Park to YEG. Even coming back Labour Day in the evening at 9:00 pm, there were only 4 or so empty seats left. What worries me is that some passengers might get stranded if the bus gets so full it can't take on any more - not a good thing if it's running only once an hour.
    Is there hope for Edmonton? Yes!!! The Oilers? Wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by Altaflyer View Post
    I believe that Leduc may run off-peak buses to the airport to connect to the 747 when they start their own peak hour service to Century Park. This could add a few passengers to the mix. I say keep it as ETS but figure out a way to allow for single ticket travel.
    Leduc route 3 runs to the airport but only in peak hours.

(Note, the maps download when you click them instead of opening in a browser window)

http://www.leduc.ca/Leduc-Transit/ro...m#.VAihw8boaX0

Alas to get to Century Park you'll need to transfer from Leduc route 3 to route 1. But it does give you another option than 747.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
    Route 747 really should be increased in frequency to every half-hour all day, not just peak hours....
    ...What worries me is that some passengers might get stranded if the bus gets so full it can't take on any more - not a good thing if it's running only once an hour.
    Hear hear.

I took the 747 yesterday at 1:30pm from YEG and the bus had 26 people on it. Definitely needs the frequency upped. There was luggage in the aisles.
    Last edited by Altaflyer; 04-09-2014 at 03:20 PM.

Addicted to C2E

I agree . an airport is a place that you want to move to and from quickly. I gave it a try and found myself waiting for the greater part of an hour . This can be improved.

I think that you can take the wrap off the windows and give riders the visibility full impression that there is growth and vital activity here is a missed opportunity . A short on board promotional video is also missing here .

I would like some posting in the downtown LRT station. to indicate times for best connections from train to bus ( easy gain here)

Since the city now runs on google, couldn't they put an on board screen with promo video as well as an ETA based on google traffic estimates? Seems like a no brainer to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    ...Seems like a no brainer to me...
    That's why it well never happen

Route 747 is Edmonton Transit’s direct service to the Edmonton International Airport. This service is provided through a partnership between the City of Edmonton and Edmonton International Airport. As a regional service, Route 747 operates under the authority of both the Province of Alberta and The City of Edmonton.
    It may not be the city that's the hold up here. Either the province of the Airport Authority may be the ones delaying expansion. Maybe the airport (wrongly) believes that more buses will increase congestion in the terminal area. Another reason we need a regionals transit authority.

The City keeps saying they want to annex the airport and so they should...but need to put effort into the 747 Bus to demonstrate they have the capacity to serve the airport (and us for that matter).

But it's not just the city, it's also the airport authority and the province. If the EIA doesn't want more buses there's nothing the city could do to increase service. It's going to take all of them working together.

Default Bus 747 Good service but....

I recently visited Edmonton and decided to take the Line 747 service. My impressions. First, the bus driver was standing right outside the door smoking. It just looks disgusting and sends a sense of "lack of interest" to the travelers. I boarded the bus and put my $5 in the fare box.

My biggest disappoint was that somebody in marketing I would image thought it was a good idea to cover the windows in vinyl wrap. Now WHY! It is impossible to see out, except a blurry image of something. So visitors to Edmonton can't even enjoy the view on the trip into Edmonton. I understand the desire to vinyl wrap the bus for advertising, in this case that the bus is the 747 to the airport, but surely they can leave the windows clear so passengers can see outside. I'm not aware of many transit agencies that allow the windows to be wrapped in this fashion. I've already sent a comment to customer service about this.

The service itself is awesome. Fast and direct. Frequency was okay. At the time I used it, it was every 30 minutes. There were 12 people on when I travelled towards the city at 4:30pm, and the bus was full when I travelled to the airport at 3:00pm. The driver was much nicer on the return bus, and wished us a safe journey to wherever we were going.

It would be nice if they could figure out a way to sell a single ticket to downtown, and to accept credit cards (maybe a ticket machine at the airport). For example, a fare of $8.20 gets you a single ticket to downtown and maybe 2 hours, or so of transfer time on other buses. Rather than pay $5 then have to pay again at the train station.

So how would I rate in in relation to other airport transit connections. Here is my list:

1. Vancouver - Skytrain, every 6 minutes, takes 25 minutes - special fare from airport only, normal to airport and along the line. Night buses provide service after last train to 3:30am.
    2. Toronto - Rocket 192 bus to Subway - every 6 to 12 minutes (note, new UP Express is running, but it is a premium service, so not included here) - normal fares. 24 hour service provided by night buses.
    3. Montreal - Bus 747 - 24 hours a day service. Special fare but valid for 24 hours on all transit services in Montreal.
    4. Calgary - Bus 300 B-Line Express - direct to downtown, every 30 minutes - special fare for airport, normal for rest of line
    5. Winnipeg - Bus direct to downtown every 20 minutes - normal fares
    6. Saskatoon - bus direct to downtown every 30 minutes/ 60 in the evenings - normal fares
    7. Edmonton - bus 747 direct to LRT - special fare, no fare integration.

The 747 service to the airport lacks imagination and attention. The wi-fi has not worked for me on any bus in months. The fare product is very limiting and I totally agree a ticket machine at the airport that takes credit cards is totally expected in 2015!! The smoking thing is a problem and it is very poor to have the bus stop in the smoking area at EIA.

I will totally disagree in ranking the Calgary 300 bus ahead of our service. That bus takes forever to make the trip and very few passengers got on it along the way to YYC (I will take the 100 and C-train anyday). Also, the 192 frequency in Toronto can be below 12 minutes at times and the Skytrain most certainly is not every 6 minutes to YVR at anytime - but the service is the best of anywhere. One should remember that YEG is the furthest away from the city centre of any of these cities and in that context it is a decent service and travel time is acceptable. Frequency should be increased to 30 minutes all day and an additional departure should be added at 12:30am and 1:00am.

Quote Originally Posted by Altaflyer View Post
    The 747 service to the airport lacks imagination and attention. The wi-fi has not worked for me on any bus in months. The fare product is very limiting and I totally agree a ticket machine at the airport that takes credit cards is totally expected in 2015!! The smoking thing is a problem and it is very poor to have the bus stop in the smoking area at EIA.

I will totally disagree in ranking the Calgary 300 bus ahead of our service. That bus takes forever to make the trip and very few passengers got on it along the way to YYC (I will take the 100 and C-train anyday). Also, the 192 frequency in Toronto can be below 12 minutes at times and the Skytrain most certainly is not every 6 minutes to YVR at anytime - but the service is the best of anywhere. One should remember that YEG is the furthest away from the city centre of any of these cities and in that context it is a decent service and travel time is acceptable. Frequency should be increased to 30 minutes all day and an additional departure should be added at 12:30am and 1:00am.
    Skytrain to the Vancouver airport daytime Monday to Sunday from about 6am to 8pm is every 6-7 minutes, it combines to every 3-4 minutes on common section. In the evening after 8pm it is every 12 minutes. And after 11 pm to last train at 1:00am it is every 20 minutes.

http://tripplanning.translink.ca/hiw...9&LineAbbr=999

I might quible about the ranking (non-stop ftw, any day) but otherwise very good points.

1. Put the advertising at Century Park and other LRT stations instead of on the windows of the bus.
    2. Credit/Debit, join the 21st Century.
    3. Un-marroon the bus stop from the smoking area.
    4. At minimum the option of an integrated fare product.

and while we're at it, upgrade the pathetic and embarassing ticket vending machines (and escalators) in the LRT stations.

All done, I don't see how we could be lower than fourth.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    I might quible about the ranking (non-stop ftw, any day) but otherwise very good points.

1. Put the advertising at Century Park and other LRT stations instead of on the windows of the bus.

and while we're at it, upgrade the pathetic and embarassing ticket vending machines (and escalators) in the LRT stations.

I left it lower because of all the cities, except Toronto, the bus does not take you to the downtown, it drops you at a suburban LRT station. Toronto does too (subway), but the fare is valid for the trip all the way downtown. Edmonton makes you pay again.

Really good point about the lack of credit cards. I was shocked that I could not buy a train fare, or daypass using a credit card in the LRT station fare machines. I was just used to doing that in Vancouver as all skytrain stations and the Seabus all take credit cards.

I left it lower because of all the cities, except Toronto, the bus does not take you to the downtown, it drops you at a suburban LRT station. Toronto does too (subway), but the fare is valid for the trip all the way downtown. Edmonton makes you pay again.
    I've taken the Rocket a few times, $3 to downtown Toronto from airport is amazing. They have that expensive new go train service now as well - union pearson express. This sums up the sillinies of that folley (it will be interesting to see how the ridership is turning out now its in operation):

What does a billion dollars' worth of transit investment get in Toronto? A piddly 5,000 daily riders. To put things in perspective, dozens of bus routes in Toronto carry more passengers every day than the trips forecasted for the Union-Pearson rail link (UP Express).

The rail-link will connect Canada's two busiest transport hubs: Union Station and Toronto Pearson International Airport. Despite the high-speed connector between the two busiest hubs, transport authorities expect only 5,000 daily riders on the UP Express. The King Streetcar, in comparison, carries in excess of 65,000 daily riders.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/murtaza...b_7122734.html

Nice little quote in there about when these can work, and when not:

In North America, fewer than 10 airports are connected with local subway or regional rail transit. With the exception of the Ronald Reagan International Airport in Washington, D.C., most other airports accessible by rail report approximately five per cent transit trips to and from airports. The European experience though has been better. Almost 35 per cent of the trips to and from Zurich airport were made on rail-based transit. Munich airport reported 40 per cent of the trips by rail and bus.

Certain transit network attributes, which are missing for the UP Express, contribute to the strong transit ridership to and from airports. For instance, the rail-based service to high transit ridership airports does not terminate at the airport but instead continues further to serve the communities along the corridor. In addition, the airport lines at the successful airports are integrated with the rest of the rail-based transit system, instead of being a standalone line. The UP Express is a standalone rail line that connects to only one terminal at Pearson Airport. The prohibitive fare makes the ride uneconomical for commuters travelling in teams of two or more who would find a cab ride cheaper and convenient from most parts of suburban Toronto.
    Last edited by moahunter; 10-07-2015 at 01:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post

Really good point about the lack of credit cards. I was shocked that I could not buy a train fare, or daypass using a credit card in the LRT station fare machines. I was just used to doing that in Vancouver as all skytrain stations and the Seabus all take credit cards.
    Fair enough, but i'd still take non-stop to LRT over lurch-n-teeter through eternity any day, personally. Luckily I'm a local so I know about and can plan and utilise the transit ticket ten-packs, and know to carry cash for the 747 fare. Agree it's very poorly set up for inbound users though.

Edit - it's fair to point out that both due to jurisdiction and distance that YEG has different hurdles than the other Prairie cities, Toronto or Montréal.
    Last edited by JayBee; 10-07-2015 at 04:01 PM.

grish

Taking the numbers from moahunter's post, for pearson at 5000 passengers and, say, each paying the full fare of $23.40 one way (could be less with Presto or return tix), that is $117,000/ day. By comparison, they would get same revenue from serving 10,000 and charging them $11.70 one way or, at $5/trip they would have to serve 23,400 people.

The trains have 180 people capacity, so for 10,000 people, that would be approx 56 train rides at capacity or a train every 25.5 min. With not every train full, say a train every 12 min.

At 23,400 people, they would need 130 full train trips or a train or a train every 11 min (more like one every 5 min).

Certainly, given a one way trip is approx 30 min, they would have bought more trains, but as such an important transit link, perhaps worth it. Still puzzled with the whole UP express set up and pricing. But I am even more perplexed with TO subway to literally nowhere (Scarborough) at the expense of pretty much every canadian with fed taxes partially going to build that thing. Politics is a funny thing.

I look forward to the UPX ^in 2 weeks.
    www.decl.org

^ good job on the video editing, but where did they start? How much did they pay? Not a well structured inquiry nor well portrayed at all.

They stated where they started from in the video. They also stated that the biggest delay in upx was getting to the upx station (40 mins in traffic from location to upx station downtown)

^ I'm not saying they didn't state it, I'm suggesting it's not really an ideal place to measure the advantage UPX provides (unless they ran the race twice.) hence I say not well structured.

We were at Pearson yesterday staying at the Marriott and considered taking the train to Union station but at $44 return each not a chance. I went down to the platform to check it out and I did not see a single person on it.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

I am going to take it for:

1. I love trains
    2. Simple
    3. convenient as I am meeting friends downtown
    4. A cab would be $40-45 each way.
    5. The rocket has been done.
    www.decl.org

We were just killing time and looking for something to do. Lost opportunity.

grish

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    I am going to take it for:

1. I love trains
    2. Simple
    3. convenient as I am meeting friends downtown
    4. A cab would be $40-45 each way.
    5. The rocket has been done.
    I think cab is in the $55 range downtown:
    http://www.airfleetlimo.ca/pdf/eastl...tariff_map.pdf

One thing UPx will do is allow you to store your luggage as opposed to taking the rocket and then catching the subway.

^ As a point of interest into how ridiculously overpriced our taxi service is in Edmonton, it would actually be cheaper to rent a car downtown and drop it off at the airport than it would be to take a cab.

Budget rental car price: $44 dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post
    We were at Pearson yesterday staying at the Marriott and considered taking the train to Union station but at $44 return each not a chance. I went down to the platform to check it out and I did not see a single person on it.
    I was thinking "hmmmn, that's almost what you'd pay for Tokyo to Narita, ha ha, not so fast into that company, T.O." until I read carefully that you said "return".

(Oh and nevermind I'm overlooking it's triple the distance to Narita.)

$22 straight downtown? I wouldn't hesitate, but perhaps that's because I won't be renting a car anyways.

$44.80 plus $53.00 for my wife just for a little trip to union station. If it were $22 return I would think about it.

Prices for UPX:
    One way tickets between Union and Pearson cost $27.50 per adult (20-64 years of age), $23.40 per student or senior (aged 13-19 or 65+), and $13.75 per child (aged 6-12).
    Special fares include a $55 one-way ticket for a family of 2 adults and up to 3 children under 18, or a $27.50 "long layover" return fare that lets you travel downtown from the airport and back within 6 hours.

Since it costs around $55 for a cab from Pearson to downtown, the train can be a better deal since it is much faster. That long layover fare of $27.50 could be enticing as it would allow for a nice break wandering around downtown as opposed to sitting at the airport.

UberX is $30 from Pearson to downtown. Just drop your location pin outside of the airport zone to get the UberX option, then call the driver with your pickup location. Takes about 25 mins without traffic (outside of rush hour) and they'll take you right to your final destination.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldergrove View Post
    Prices for UPX:
    One way tickets between Union and Pearson cost $27.50 per adult (20-64 years of age), $23.40 per student or senior (aged 13-19 or 65+), and $13.75 per child (aged 6-12).
    Special fares include a $55 one-way ticket for a family of 2 adults and up to 3 children under 18, or a $27.50 "long layover" return fare that lets you travel downtown from the airport and back within 6 hours.

Since it costs around $55 for a cab from Pearson to downtown, the train can be a better deal since it is much faster. That long layover fare of $27.50 could be enticing as it would allow for a nice break wandering around downtown as opposed to sitting at the airport.
    The train only takes you to union station. A cab will take you to wher ever you want to go so for two or more people the cost cannot be justified.

Taken last night, these posters started going up a week or two ago on the LRT:

I kinda think they should add "from Century Park", but they're much more eye-catching than the old "your everyday way to tuned-out" format.

C2E SME

Didn't realize that the fare recovery for the 747 is even lower than that of ETS' regular operations, despite the hike vs regular fares.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Great to hear. I regularly use this and am fine with a flat $10, especially then not needing to get an ETS ticket. Just hope that it is an option on LRT machines when headed south.
    www.decl.org

If the cost is $15 to the CoE/ETS, it should be $15. Maybe the airport can kick in some of their improvement fees for this particular improvement on an ongoing basis going forward.

I didn't understand why the airport train in Stockholm is so much more expensive than our rinkydink bus service, even accounting for the relative quality of service. Turns out it's just because ETS is ETS & excels at keeping farebox recovery lower than any other major transit system in Canada.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

C2E Continued Contributor

I would be happy to pay more, as long as the frequency isn't lowered. Paying more and getting lower frequency seems counter intuitive.

It needs to be every 30mins other than perhaps a few hours midday depending on our dept/arrivals. Wonderful option though and super convenient.
    www.decl.org

Still can't pay with credit card. What sort of tourist has a CAD$10 bill handy for our fareboxes?

Stil a very, very long way to go. The signage in the airport is still unclear. Need signs like "BUS TO CITY". No tourist knows what 747 is, is it a plane?

At least the fare is valid for the rest of the transit network now.

C2E SME

What about a $10 all day bus pass that’s good for all buses, including St Albert and Sherwood Park.

My coffee buddy was telling me there are 3000 new jobs opening up at EIA in 2018. Sounds like a lot but I guess the mall alone is 1000 jobs. Then there is Costco, the racetrack, the grow op, the Fairfield, God knows what else. Maybe he's right. If this is the trend it may be time to start thinking about that LRT link sooner rather than later.

LRT to YEG would be amazing... but justification for it likely a decade or more off for initial engineering and two decades before we see it.
    Last edited by IanO; 28-11-2017 at 01:35 PM.
    www.decl.org

We don't even have a proper LRT system in the city (where most people would use it) yet.

That needs to be remedied first before extending it to the airport.

Quote Originally Posted by Taras View Post
    The signage in the airport is still unclear. Need signs like "BUS TO CITY". No tourist knows what 747 is, is it a plane?
    I completely agree. Giving a "clever" name to an airport service that visitors will use just needlessly complicates things for them.

C2E SME

Not sure where this goes, but I could see this being of definite interest:

http://edmontonjournal.com/news/loca...irport-transit
    Last edited by The_Cat; 27-12-2017 at 04:34 PM. Reason: incorrect link

Airport Accord partners announce enhanced transit connections for Edmonton International Airport
    April 24, 2018

News and industry media are invited to join the City of Leduc, Leduc County, City of Edmonton and EIA leaders for a transit announcement resulting from the Edmonton Metropolitan Region’s Inter-Jurisdiction Cooperation Accord.

Date: Thursday, April 26, 2018
    Time: 1 – 1:30 p.m.
    Location: Edmonton International Airport Departures Level, Door 28 (see map)

Program
    12:45 p.m. - Guests arrive
    1:00 p.m. - Announcement
    1:15 p.m. - Photo opportunity and media availability
    1:30 p.m. - Event ends

Attending
    Tanni Doblanko, Mayor, Leduc County
    Bob Young, Mayor, City of Leduc
    Don Iveson, Mayor, City of Edmonton
    Tom Ruth, President and CEO, Edmonton International Airport

Park in the hourly level (P2) of the easyPark parkade. Parking passes will be provided.

Media contact:
    Cheryl Oxford
    Media Relations Manager to Mayor Don Iveson
    780- 289-7762

Lindsay Chambers
    Communications Coordinator
    Leduc County
    587-785-7149

Mariann McLaughlin
    Corporate Communications Officer
    City of Leduc
    780-935-6540

Chris Chodan
    Senior Advisor
    Corporate Communications
    EIA
    780-700-3596
    www.decl.org

Airport Accord partners announce enhanced transit connections for Edmonton International Airport
    April 26, 2018

Today, the City of Leduc, Leduc County, the City of Edmonton and Edmonton International Airport (EIA) announced details about several new and enhanced transit routes to EIA that will support this important employment and destination hub.

In May, Leduc Transit Route 10 to the Premium Outlet Collection EIA will begin operations. ETS Route 747 will add a stop at the Premium Outlet Collection EIA, in addition to the regular express bus service between the Century Park LRT Station and EIA main terminal. ETS will also reduce fares from $10 to $5 or two ETS tickets. EIA will also begin operating an additional free shuttle between the main terminal, the Premium Outlet Collection EIA, Rosenau Transport, Aeroterm building, BBE warehouse and the STARS hangar. All these transit options will be accessible from the Arrivals Level of the EIA main terminal, outside Door 8.

A number of other fare changes will begin on or before June 1. UPass holders will be able to access ETS Route 747 with their UPass, and Leduc Transit customers will be able to transfer between Route 747 and Leduc Transit with no additional fare.

“EIA is an integral part of the region's economy. We are sustained by an excellent long-term relationship with all surrounding municipalities,” said Tom Ruth, President and CEO of Edmonton International Airport. “As a not-for-profit entity that is mandated to drive economic growth for our region, we are committed to creating jobs, generating economic development and building relationships that will benefit all parties for many years to come. Enhanced transit connections to and around the airport lands are an essential step towards advancing the mandate of the Accord partnership.”

“A significant number of our residents work at EIA and with the new development, it is vitally important that our residents have access to these new developments through our transit service,” said Mayor of the City of Leduc Bob Young. “The regional collaboration within the Accord partnership allows us to have crucial conversations that not only benefit our residents but also the long-term success of the region.”

“We are proud of the collaborative spirit that has been cultivated through the work of the Airport Accord partnership,” said Leduc County Mayor Tanni Doblanko. “Working together is one of our region’s greatest strengths, and is critical for the success of key economic drivers like EIA. Having enhanced transit connections to the airport and surrounding developments will benefit the entire region, and will help to raise the profile of EIA as a world-class airport.“

“The Accord partnership has provided an unprecedented collaborative opportunity to innovate and advance the region and EIA as a competitive global investment destination. We are already seeing the collective benefits of the partnership through the enhanced transit access to EIA,” said Edmonton Mayor Don Iveson. “Our continued capacity to negotiate and manage shared investment and shared benefits is vital to ensuring our collective prosperity as a successful Edmonton metropolitan region.”

In 2017, EIA’s economic impact was valued at $3.2 billion, and that number continues to grow as the airport develops new passenger and cargo air service. The Airport Accord partnership creates a new collaborative model that starts from a premise of shared costs for shared benefits, recognizing that all parties benefit from EIA’s success. By prioritizing this success, the parties will not only contribute to the economic prosperity of the Edmonton Metropolitan Region but will also have the potential to set a new standard for such collaborations in the future.

For more information:
    edmonton.ca/annexation
    leduc-county.com/annexation
    www.decl.org

C2E SME

I think LRT to the airport will be a hot topic, especially with the possibility of World Cup games in 2026:

https://globalnews.ca/video/4275821/...to-its-airport

Would sure be nice to have a train out to the airport. Would create a good debate as to whether it's actually needed or not but I sure appreciate having the train at the airport as a tourist. Seattle is an example of somewhere I've enjoyed this.

Maybe with Leduc, the airport & all the commercial development growing around the airport this could be a possibility but with all the other LRT work under construction right now and the track record for this sort of thing I would put the likelihood around 2% of this happening. There will be a stronger transit and transportation options to the airport by then though for sure.

West LRT might be done and LRT down to heritage, say, 2024 or 25. This is a real possibility if City Council made it a priority and the had support from the province.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    West LRT might be done and LRT down to heritage, say, 2024 or 25. This is a real possibility if City Council made it a priority and the had support from the province.
    Seems like a big expense for 3 or 4 games, even if it is the #2 sporting event in the world. How many out of town visitors will be flying in to EIA for the games? 100K? 200K?

Will never happen after all the ************** elect the government they need.

Will never happen after all the ************** elect the government they need.

Quote Originally Posted by nobleea View Post
    Seems like a big expense for 3 or 4 games, even if it is the #2 sporting event in the world. How many out of town visitors will be flying in to EIA for the games? 100K? 200K?
    It's not about the games itself, per se, but a lasting legacy of the games. It's also the thing that FIFA identified as a deficiency in Edmonton's bid, a commitment to build the connection might secure us one of the 16 cities.
    www.decl.org

That's a pretty big commitment to make for a couple soccer or 3 soccer games.
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

The commitment is far more than just the World Cup. Let's have a bit more vision here.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Building the line out to the airport will:
    a) Make bidding for International events easier in the future
    b) Make EIA more attractive for airlines to add flights
    c) Make EIA more attractive to city and Northern AB residents who currently drive to Calgary to fly out
    d) Potentially increase investment in the surrounding areas
    e) Help downplay the whole "airport is 30 minutes outside the city" narrative.

yadda yadda yadda over the next 50 years. It's not just for shuttling people to the couple WC games we might get.

C2E SME

It wouldn't be for just some games but the World Cup would be a good excuse for the province and the feds to give LRT to the airport a higher priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    The commitment is far more than just the World Cup. Let's have a bit more vision here.
    Well said. I couldn't agree more.This will be a big deal for the City and surrounding area.

So much "vision"... so little oil-boom money to pay for it...

^There is always the carbon tax. ��

FIFA is our way to do this please and thank you.
    www.decl.org

Airlines are not going to add flights because we have LRT to the airport. They'll add flights when they think they can sell enough seats to make a flight profitable.

And if people are driving to Calgary from Northern Alberta, why would they stop at EIA because it has a train running to it?

How much is FIFA paying?

^^LRT to an airport with 7mil going to 8 is something I want to see.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    Airlines are not going to add flights because we have LRT to the airport. They'll add flights when they think they can sell enough seats to make a flight profitable.

And if people are driving to Calgary from Northern Alberta, why would they stop at EIA because it has a train running to it?
    LRT connection at the airport makes Edmonton a more attractive destination, and makes it easier to attract customers. More customers means more flights. More flights means fewer reasons to travel to/through Calgary.

I'm not going to fly more just because I could take the LRT to the airport and I can't imagine tourists saying "Forget Disneyland, let's go to Edmonton. Their LRT runs to the airport"

People need a reason to travel to or from here. Calgary doesn't have LRT to the airport yet and they're still ahead of us. Los Angeles doesn't have rapid transit to LAX. Las Vegas doesn't either.
    Last edited by kkozoriz; 15-06-2018 at 10:35 PM.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast