Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Londonderry Mall | Discussion

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default Londonderry Mall | Discussion

Last week, The Bay had an Grand Reopening Ad in the Journal for the Londonderry branch, has anyone checked it out? Could it be a catalyst for some possible reno's in the mall? , Londonderry was pretty stale last time I was there, especially with Kingsway just finishing a major redo.

I live down the street from Londonderry but can't for the life of me recall ever actually buying anything while in there. I pick up concert tickets I've ordered at their Ticketmaster outlet, and ship the occasional thing for work at the Canada Post booth in the Shoppers.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E Continued Contributor

Nice mall but needs an upgrade and more stores.

It is getting dated.

C2E SME

Well it's a bit dated but it is still looking ok. I'd shop there but I live on the other end of the city.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Pretty weak mall indeed... if i were them i would work to incorporate a tower of seniors and a tower of market housing (be it apartment or condo) and create a direct market for your mall. Then work on attracting another mid-sized anchor or 2 that could convince the neighbourhood to pop in more often. However with the decrepit 50st strip malls and Kingsway not that far away, you have quite the uphill battle there.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Londonderry's not bad, but could be better. The main reason to go there is the huge Bay-sized Sport Chek they've got there.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

^not bad? um ok then...
    www.decl.org

I'd kill for a Zara in that mall. That super huge Sport Chek also has the super worst service of any store I've ever been in.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

The selection of stores is rather sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    I'd kill for a Zara in that mall. That super huge Sport Chek also has the super worst service of any store I've ever been in.
    never happen... Edmonton is WEM/Southgate/Kings... simple as that. Downtown would be next perhaps but what londonderry needs to do is reposition itself similar to Westmount but without the failed attempts. Go after non-traditional retailers or tenants... bring in residential... bring in a gym... etc. etc.
    www.decl.org

Londonderry has a World Health Club no?

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I like Londonderry! Save-on-foods is great and is usually quite busy. They've got World Health Club, and two good banks. The Bay is OK, and it's nice to have Sport Chek there. I think they could use a Canadian Tire type store. But for fashion and shoes, they've got a decent selection with Le Chateau, Winners, Aldo, etc.

There's a Canadian Tire just down the street on Ft Road. They need some stores with more style, the Urban "enter word here" stores leave lots to be desired. Shoe selection is all cheap stuff, no Town Shoes or Brown (speaking from a guy perspective, Aldo and Spring suck for men's footwear). The Army and Navy draws too many Wal-Mart trailer trash wankers to the mall.

There's a Canadian Tire just down the street on Ft Road. They need some stores with more style, the Urban "enter word here" stores leave lots to be desired. Shoe selection is all cheap stuff, no Town Shoes or Brown (speaking from a guy perspective, Aldo and Spring suck for men's footwear). The Army and Navy draws too many Wal-Mart trailer trash wankers to the mall.
    The Army and Navy is great for outdoor wear. You know, for guys who work outside when it -30 etc: But I suppose someone as debonair as you Chmilz would not know about that. You'll need to buy descent shoes for your climate controlled office. We all know there are lots of wanking office workers out there need fashionable gear not practicale gear.
    Anyway, I will be heading to Londonderry in the near future and if I think on I will post my views on the renovated Bay.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I bought some winter boots from Army and Navy a few years ago and they are incredible! Fashionable? No. Warm? Definitely!

I bought my favorite pair of loafers from aldo...

Partially Addicted to C2E

The Bay and Londonderry always had the feel of 'bargin-basement, we couldnt sell this crap at any of our other stores'... Really, as of late, most of Londonderry has that feel. Hopefully, this will help turn things around.

I know Londonderry has slipped, even the Gap pulled out a while back after the latest reno, so I highly doubt it that Zara would make an appearance they would be a better fit in Kingsway or Downtown, But if The Bay has upgraded (and I agree it was always the most dismal of the Edmonton branches) there may be hope, they need to catch a few more chains like American Eagle, H&M. and the like to give the place a bit of buzz.... Army and Navy is OK if your looking for long underwear, or workboots, I would think Old Navy would do well there, since it's only at WEM or SEC. Stores like Banana Republic will never make an appearance since it's not the wealthiest area but it has a good solid middle class base to draw on. Unfortunately any mall that I have seen Winners in tends to be second rate ( besides West Ed it's a special case since it runs the gamut from crap to high end due to the sheer size of the place) even Bed, Bath and Beyond opened in Northtown which to me was a shock since that mall used to be a waste of space, Londonderry needs to wake up otherwise Heritage Mall the sequel may be on the horizon.

Since Londonderry is the nearest major centre for Fort Saskatchewan and points northeast of the city, they would be smart to emphasize that otherwise the $$$ flows to Kingsway.

I think what may quash any plans to upscale Londonderry Mall is the north side's reputation for not being an upscale area of the city. Anyone remember what Northgate Mall used to be like in the 1970s and comparing it to what it's like now?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by darrellinyvr View Post
    even Bed, Bath and Beyond opened in Northtown which to me was a shock since that mall used to be a waste of space, Londonderry needs to wake up otherwise Heritage Mall the sequel may be on the horizon.

imo northtown is pretty bumping now, they got a new chapters bookstore, t&t supermarket, golds gym, london drugs.

I know Londonderry has slipped, even the Gap pulled out a while back after the latest reno, so I highly doubt it that Zara would make an appearance they would be a better fit in Kingsway or Downtown, But if The Bay has upgraded (and I agree it was always the most dismal of the Edmonton branches) there may be hope, they need to catch a few more chains like American Eagle, H&M. and the like to give the place a bit of buzz.... Army and Navy is OK if your looking for long underwear, or workboots, I would think Old Navy would do well there, since it's only at WEM or SEC. Stores like Banana Republic will never make an appearance since it's not the wealthiest area but it has a good solid middle class base to draw on. Unfortunately any mall that I have seen Winners in tends to be second rate ( besides West Ed it's a special case since it runs the gamut from crap to high end due to the sheer size of the place) even Bed, Bath and Beyond opened in Northtown which to me was a shock since that mall used to be a waste of space, Londonderry needs to wake up otherwise Heritage Mall the sequel may be on the horizon.

Since Londonderry is the nearest major centre for Fort Saskatchewan and points northeast of the city, they would be smart to emphasize that otherwise the $$$ flows to Kingsway.
    IMO

Londonderry mall is not going to recover from its slide so it better look for a few creative outs to fill it up and drive traffic.

Edmonton Malls:

A group:
    WEM
    Southgate
    Kingsway

outside of those and with the emergence of those power centres from hell, you will not see another mall, other than downtown potentially, make inroads with the group above.
    www.decl.org

Northtown is doing something right, they are pulling in stores that people will shop at, it was a dive in the 70's and 80's with Kmart etc. Londonderry will never recapture the glory it had when it opened in 1972 with Eatons, The Bay, Woolco and all the major Canadian chains of the time. It was the largest mall west of Toronto when it opened, but it does need to get back some destintation stores for that part of town, not upscale but middle market stores that will bring in a broad cross section of shoppers, No one is going to make a special trip to go to As Seen on TV or such, it needs to be more aggressive in leasing, hell even a Starbucks would be a draw for traffic.

^but they are no longer a Mall IMO... they are a strip mall.
    www.decl.org

Starbucks can be in malls, Brentwood Mall in Burnaby with 110 storesincluding Sears, Zellers, London Drugs has two locations, as long as there is an outside entrance no problem, besides Starbucks was used as an EXAMPLE.......again it all comes down to a good corporate sales and leasing team by the mall itself.

Some suggestions for stores in a newly energized Londonderry

American Eagle/Aerie
    H&M a smaller format than either Kingsway or WEM or SEC (Europe has lots of smaller H&M's)
    Aeropostale
    Starbucks (yes I know I mentioned them)
    Tim Hortons

On a different tangent maybe some branded outlet stores

Banana Republic Factory Store
    GAP Outlet
    Club Monaco Outlet
    Roots 73 Outlet
    Danier Leather Outlet
    Mexx Outlet (BC has these)
    Harry Rosen Outlet (Toronto has one)
    Hollister, A&F Outlets (unlikely in Canada though I have seen them in California) they are mobbed with bargain hunters there.

Londonderry already has a Jacob Connexion which is Jacobs outlet label so that would not be a stretch for the mall to do, also the above mentioned outlets would balance the pull of the outlets in SEC. I would drive accross town to outlet shop indoors rather brave the Siberian wastelands of SEC. Londonderry could have the potential become Edmonton's version of Cross Iron Mills in Calgary though on a smaller scale, it's a thought.

And now for the exterior............

Londonderry could make a GREAT outlet mall. It has good potential.

Some suggestions for stores in a newly energized Londonderry

American Eagle/Aerie
    H&M a smaller format than either Kingsway or WEM or SEC (Europe has lots of smaller H&M's)
    Aeropostale
    Starbucks (yes I know I mentioned them)
    Tim Hortons

On a different tangent maybe some branded outlet stores

Banana Republic Factory Store
    GAP Outlet
    Club Monaco Outlet
    Roots 73 Outlet
    Danier Leather Outlet
    Mexx Outlet (BC has these)
    Harry Rosen Outlet (Toronto has one)
    Hollister, A&F Outlets (unlikely in Canada though I have seen them in California) they are mobbed with bargain hunters there.

Londonderry already has a Jacob Connexion which is Jacobs outlet label so that would not be a stretch for the mall to do, also the above mentioned outlets would balance the pull of the outlets in SEC. I would drive accross town to outlet shop indoors rather brave the Siberian wastelands of SEC. Londonderry could have the potential become Edmonton's version of Cross Iron Mills in Calgary though on a smaller scale, it's a thought.

And now for the exterior............
    Other than a Timmies... best of luck with that.
    www.decl.org

Why does everyone trash on NE Edmonton as being poor? It's just as middle class as pretty much every other part of Edmonton. We're starved for quality stuff up here.

And yeah, I forgot about the outdoors stuff at Army and Navy, they do have a good selection. I was cracking a joke about the average shopper there, not the goods.

Why does everyone trash on NE Edmonton as being poor? It's just as middle class as pretty much every other part of Edmonton. We're starved for quality stuff up here.

And yeah, I forgot about the outdoors stuff at Army and Navy, they do have a good selection. I was cracking a joke about the average shopper there, not the goods.
    concur... but perception and established malls will very much discourage many of the names above from opening there when there are many other potential locations.
    www.decl.org

Londonderry is good for the Winners. I love winners.

Take winners out of Londonderry and put it in Kingsway and I would have no reason to go there any more.
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

The Bay in Londonderry looks a lot tidier now that it has been renovated. Mind, it was not a big renovation. I think the whole of Londonderry Mall needs an overhaul.
    The liqour store on the east side sure looks shabby since it was privitaized. If you go in the entrance where Uncle Alberts is there is the lounge/hang out where the patrons outside are smoking and it is a bit of a cat walk show if there are a few of them. Most NE neigbourhoods are working/middle class but there is a lot of expensive housing going up in the newer areas. I have lived in Edmonton a long time and have generally found that people can be a real sh*ts and come from anywhere in the city. It is not just a NE Ed problem.

Folks, the thing about the north-end or NE-end being a working-class/trailer-class/whatever-class area is just perception, not necessarily reality. That said, retailers decide to open or close outlets based on sales and area market trends but perception plays a role too.

^Yes, perception plays a rule but some working class people with trades make damn good money. Just call a plumber or electrician etc: It's too bad that huge swaths of this city get branded one thing or another. A few years back it was Mill Woods getting branded. It seems it has now moved to the north side.

According to my family, Londonderry was a great place when it first opened but has basically been dying a slow death since Kingsway Garden Mall (as it was then) first opened, which lets face it, has been awhile now. It's not that it couldn't be a destination mall, but it would have a ways to go to become something that would get people coming in through the doors. There just isn't anything that pulls me there. About the only thing is Sport Chek but I'm more likely to go to the MEC, Track 'N Trail or Totem Outfitters. Heck, even the Opa! isn't as good as the Whyte Ave or WEM locations.

The problem is that middle-of-the-road retail is a vanishing slice of the market. People lately either seem to want to pay to get the premium products, or get discount products at Costco/Winners/outlet stores.

People are starting to look at various products either as something special they want to spend money on, or just a commodity that they want the cheapest price on...not in between. That's why department stores in general are dying...people either go to the smaller boutique type specialty stores, or to the huge specialty stores that will have lower prices on stuff like electronics & furniture.

No one is trashing the Londonderry area as being poor as I said in earlier posts there is a good solid middle class base in most of the areas! Hell look at some of the semi-slum nieghbourhoods west of WEM built in the 70's and looking farworse for wear than anything east of 170th Street, it's just perception that the NE is loower income, central Jasper Place along Stony Plain Road is hardly a gentrified area either everypart of the city does have it's problem spots Londonderry is not one of them, the mall just doesn't seem to have enough energy, which is to me the lack of mangement skill ( or lack of) they don't seem to want to recapture any sense of what shopping could be. besides the upeer and middle classes love a bargain as much as anybody else, nothing wrong with outlet shopping when you hit an outlet mall the lots are jammed with expensive cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    The Bay in Londonderry looks a lot tidier now that it has been renovated. Mind, it was not a big renovation. I think the whole of Londonderry Mall needs an overhaul.
    The liqour store on the east side sure looks shabby since it was privitaized. If you go in the entrance where Uncle Alberts is there is the lounge/hang out where the patrons outside are smoking and it is a bit of a cat walk show if there are a few of them. Most NE neigbourhoods are working/middle class but there is a lot of expensive housing going up in the newer areas. I have lived in Edmonton a long time and have generally found that people can be a real sh*ts and come from anywhere in the city. It is not just a NE Ed problem.
    I agree! everypart of town has it's "trash" when you leave WEM and head towards the transit terminal take a look at the people hanging out having a smoke, As they say in the UK "Common as Muck"

All Londonderry need is some company to have the balls to spend some money on it and re-unleash it's potential! some stores have stayed on since the mall opened in 72 (ie The Bay) and they have brought in some new anchors after Wal Mart bolted,(A&N, Sport Chek, Winners)
    As they say BUILD IT AND THEY WILL COME! Londonderry will never be upscale, it opened as a middle-class mall and to regain that market it will have to do what Kingsway did spend some money on it and offer the NE consumer a reason to go there rather than Kingsway, it can't duplicate Kingway's size or anchor stores but it should be able to be creative in some regards.
    It's seems over the past 15 or so years the owners have been more than happy to let the other centres in that part of town take the lead, sucking the customers to the box stores, along Manning Drive or westwards along 137th Ave.
    In my opinion it's the malls mangement who has let it slide not the consumers.

I think if they completely renovated Londonderry and get more popular stores in there people would go. Rather than drive by Londonderry to go to Kingsway people would stop there instead. I wish the north side had a Ikea strore. That could be build where the theatres are in Londonderry. It would not have to be as big as the southside outlet. One thing I did not like about the renovation of Kingsway was that it seemed to take forever to do. I think they should close down the mall (or parts of it)completley so that the renovations get done faster.

^ I think they would end up losing quite a few retailers if they shut down parts of the mall for renos. That would be a big no-no.
    Strathcona City Separatist

^If the mall was not fully occupied they could move stores temporarily until the work is done. It seemed to take forever to get Kingsway done and I am sure it put people off going. I honestly think when they did Kingsway they should have done the food court first. More people were concerned about that being completed more than if the stores were done.

^ Moving stores isn't an easy or cheap thing to do either, and is still pretty disruptive to the business being temporarily relocated.
    Strathcona City Separatist

I remember me and hubby going to Kingsway one month. Then about 8 months later he came along again. The first thing he said when he walked in the mall was 'Are they still renovating'. If 8 months seemed like a long time to him it must have seemed forever for the people working in the mall. It took a lot longer than 8 months to do. It was annoying to go looking for a store to find it re-alocated,closed for a while or gone completley. Anyway, Kingsway looks great and if they can do the same for Londonderry I am sure they will draw the shoppers in.

They didn't really do any work when the mall was open during business hours. Almost all of it was completed after the mall closed.

Takes a while to renovate when you have an operational mall to work around. Also, Kingsways was a massive rebuild and not just a quick fresher-upper.

No doubt if they worked faster and during the day people would complain even more so. Moving stores around in blocks would have been prohibitively expensive and there certainly wasn't that much vacant space in Kingway, let alone any mall in Edmonton.
    LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Kingsway took a long time, Southgate took forever for the new addition, I think the Egyptians built the pyramids faster........

Enter the drama llama....
    LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Bath and Bodyworks is opening yet another location in Edmonton in Londonderry in July, could it be that the mall management is begining to see the light?

Also was in The Bay Londonderry yesterday it was neat as a pin! If only Kingsways location looked so clean!

northgate mall is pretty much like londonderry mall because it is too close in between them so that is a problem for both malls. I used to go there at londonderry mall for 10 yrs and I have seen some big changes there but they are much better than a couple of years ago anyway.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Northgarte has been turned into a shopping mall/health clinicoffice combination much like Meadowlark, Londonderry is strictly a shopping centre no comparison really. Apples and Oranges. Besides they have always been close Northgate opened first in 1965 with Woodwards and Londonderry opened in 1972 with The Bay, Eatons, Woolco. plenty of customers back then for both malls and with the city roughly triple it's size now (including far more people in the NE) there should be lot's of ways for both centres to succeed.

Northgate has gone down one path While Londonderry still needs to find it's way since it is still a "major" mall it needs to find a niche to fill to not compete with Box stores or Kingsway which has siphoned off a lot of NE shoppers despite is's far more central location.

Northtown has gone to a "box Format" and it is working to compliment Northgate. But with the opening of a new American chain in Londonderry perhaps the malls owners are realizing that they can attract the solid middle class shopper that live in the surrounding areas again.

I did went there 2 hrs ago and was surprised to see best buy mobile will be opening very soon between coles bookstore and Mc donalds's

Addicted to C2E

I dropped by for a visit yesterday , I was dissapointed , some empty stores , quiet of for prime time saturday, cheap and trashy gift type stores are occupying what previously would have been some higher rent stores. I can't help but feel that unless they get some focussed management and a leasing plan in place ,they are on the verge of decay here.

^The mall has lost out to other higher quality 'regional centres' such as Kingsway and is slowly becoming a community-oriented shopping centre. See Meadowlark, Westmount, Bonnydoon and Northgate as examples.

Londonderry really needs to get an action plan together or it'll sink once the new power centre gets build up Manning a bit.

never answered e-mail

Londonderry really needs to get an action plan together or it'll sink once the new power centre gets build up Manning a bit.
    They need a destination anchor, like they had when the Wal-mart was there.

I came into town for a visit last week, and went to: (besides other places of course)

The WEM
    ECC
    Kingsway
    Southgate
    And SEC

But I skipped Londonderry. Considering I spent the whole time between Beverly and Beaumaris, that's saying somthing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post

I came into town for a visit last week, and went to: (besides other places of course)

The WEM
    ECC
    Kingsway
    Southgate
    And SEC

But I skipped Londonderry. Considering I spent the whole time between Beverly and Beaumaris, that's saying somthing.
    Considering when Londonderry opened in 1972 it was THE regional centre in Western Canada (largest west of Toronto at the time) That shows just how far it has slipped. It is not on the radar as a major centre for most Edmontonians let alone visitors to the city.

The loss of two majors did it no favours (Eatons and Woolco/Wal Mart) but it comes down to management. It still has decent Canadian majors with HBC, Save-On, A&N, and Winners but the centre has lost many major profile chainsover the years such as GAP etc. Then leasing those spaces to basically second tier retailers.

They have scored a few wins such as Jagators mentioning of Best Buy Mobile and Bath&BodyWorks opening last summer. But where Londonderry once was a fomidable competitor to Kingsway but is now choking on Kingsways dust as Kingsway has rocketed ahead to become North Edmonton's super regional mall.

The soon to be built Power Centre in the NE will give the customer base even more reason to aviod the mall.

never answered e-mail

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post

The WEM
    ECC
    Kingsway
    Southgate
    And SEC

Considering when Londonderry opened in 1972 it was THE regional centre in Western Canada (largest west of Toronto at the time) That shows just how far it has slipped. It is not on the radar as a major centre for most Edmontonians let alone visitors to the city.

The loss of two majors did it no favours (Eatons and Woolco/Wal Mart) but it comes down to management. It still has decent Canadian majors with HBC, Save-On, A&N, and Winners but the centre has lost many major profile chainsover the years such as GAP etc. Then leasing those spaces to basically second tier retailers.

They have scored a few wins such as Jagators mentioning of Best Buy Mobile and Bath&BodyWorks opening last summer. But where Londonderry once was a fomidable competitor to Kingsway but is now choking on Kingsways dust as Kingsway has rocketed ahead to become North Edmonton's super regional mall.

The soon to be built Power Centre in the NE will give the customer base even more reason to aviod the mall.
    You got it. Plus, I can't think of a specific reason to go there. What I mean is, if I want an HBC, or a Save-on (or any other grocery store) or even a phone shop or B&BW I have lots of other options, plus those options also have shops found either nowhere else or in very few places -- and that's what Londonderry lacks. The retail buildup of 137th St doesn't help, of course, but give people a reason to go there, something unique, or special, and they will. And yes, it does come down to management.

Back in the day when Londonderry first opened it was Edmonton's best mall. eclipsing even Southgate at the time. With TWO levels and THREE department stores. Compared to Southgate's single story mall and two anchors at the time.

I grew up in the west end and we had Meadowlark. (pre WEM) with Simpsons-Sears and Zellers. big whoop. It was a very special treat to make the trek cross town to Londonderry with its twin theatres and flashy selection of stores.

Fast forward to 2011 Londonderry has as posted earlier by ChrisD become a shopping centre basically serving a "community centre" function similar to Bonnie Doon or Northgate nothing special for anyone outside of the area to make a trip for.

Kingsway since openeing in 1976 has gradually stolen Londonderrys thunder and client base by attracting major national and international chains.

As I posted way earlier in this thread it probably is too late for Londonderry to compete with Kingsway for the "brand stores" But with a smart management and leasing team they could generate far greater traffic by being perhaps an indoor Outlet mall similar to Deerfoot Mall or Cross Iron Mills in Calgary. Leasing to outlet versions of branded companies such as GAP, Adidas, Nike etc etc to balance the draw of SEC in the far south.

I know if I were to go outlet shopping I would rather do it indoors than constantly drive around the barren wastes of SEC in an Edmonton winter.

But that would take both careful planning and serious financial support from the mall owners.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^My memories mirror yours as well. I had a retail job in the early 80s where I alternated between store locations in Kingsway and Londonderry and Londonderry was more upscale than Kingsway.

Another factor that has worked in the favor of WEM, Kingsway and Southgate is that they are major Edmonton Transit hubs. I imagine for people who rely on public transportation Londonderry seems a little out of the way especially if there are no stores worth making the effort to shop at.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Quote Originally Posted by norwoodguy View Post
    ^My memories mirror yours as well. I had a retail job in the early 80s where I alternated between store locations in Kingsway and Londonderry and Londonderry was more upscale than Kingsway.

Another factor that has worked in the favor of WEM, Kingsway and Southgate is that they are major Edmonton Transit hubs. I imagine for people who rely on public transportation Londonderry seems a little out of the way especially if there are no stores worth making the effort to shop at.
    Excellent point in regards to transit hubs. I always thought it was odd that Londonderry never became a hub of any kind for bus routes unlike Northgate. Londonderry should have been a natural fit for the NE. Even little old Meadowlark still has a bus loop with 4 routes pulling in with the 2, 4, 112, 115, 106, running along side on 87th Ave.

Londonderry started out fairly upscale and lost out while Kingsway started out very middle class and has moved up. (Zellers and that Bay excluded...)

When you look at Londonderry Mall nobody seems to mention that not many stores have moved out or closed down lately. At least not in quite some time. That has to be a testimony that it is not doing too bad. When Wal-Mart (Woolco?) moved out it did have a slump but it seems to have come back a fair bit since then. A lot of the stores cater to the 12-17 year olds and there are a lot of schools around the mall that have students in that age group. Some teens have more disposable income than a young family of four.

No one is questioning that fact that Londonderry is doing OK. But it has lost the reputation of being one of Edmontons "fashion forward" or major regional malls. It definitely has become more of a "community centre" as posted earlier along the lines of Mill Woods TC, Bonnie Doon, Northgate, etc etc.

Taking WEM out of the equation. Both Kingsway and Southgate have evolved into the other dominant malls in the city attracting shoppers from across the region with stores and amenities that seem to lack in Londonderry.

Where as it was once the largest mall in Western Canada (granted in the 70's) it has slipped to around 4th or 5th placejust in Edmonton alone. And while I know size doesn't matter It's what you do with it Londonderry doesn't really do ANYTHING to comnpete with the now dominant Kingsway in the entire north end of the city.

It has become lacklustre and considering the distance it actually is from Kingsway is rather sad. There are enough people in the NE, NorthCentral, Clareview, Fort Sask areas and beyond for Londonderry to attract a far better roster of stores and regain some of it's dominance for that section of the city.

Londonderry needs to market itself to Edmontonians and area residents to attract more traffic which in turn would entice better retailers to open or reopen in the mall revitalizing it.

You see ads for Kingsway, WEM, CityCentre and Southgate all over the city. You rarely if ever see anything for Londonderry.

^Once again Darrell I have to agree with you. Kingsway is one of my favorite Malls along with Southgate and Southgate is at the opposite end of the city from where I live. Londonderry does not market it self at all. It needs another anchor store that could be put above the Army and Navy Store. Target could be a good fit for that space. That would help the mall tremendously. The sports store could move elsewhere in the mall.

It reminds me of the terrible mismanagement of the once beautiful and busy heritage mall of which was my regular shopping place coming from the south. What happened? I remember working right thru the nights to complete stores there for their big opening day and it was grandios. Obviously someone had bigger and better plans for the land, but was that before or after the demise? If Heritage had been kept intact and managed well maybe we would not have all that mess at SEC. Must be fate of the gods or something. Hopefully someone can head this off at Londonderry and have enough foresite to spiff it up and keep it going.

^Once again Darrell I have to agree with you. Kingsway is one of my favorite Malls along with Southgate and Southgate is at the opposite end of the city from where I live. Londonderry does not market it self at all. It needs another anchor store that could be put above the Army and Navy Store. Target could be a good fit for that space. That would help the mall tremendously. The sports store could move elsewhere in the mall.
    It speaks volumes that you will travel to either Kingsway or go all the way crosstown to Southgate to shop rather than go to Londonderry. Which has the size and the potential to be so much more than just a mall from what I gather is either the coffee place for the area seniors or the nieghbourhood mall for local school kids.....

To those if us who grew up in the West End Londonderry was once a distant "special trip only" because it was a long ways away and was "exotic" How times have changed! Now it ranks right up there in my books about as special as either Bonnie Doon or Northgate.....not worth the trip. As there are far better places to spend ones hard earned cash.....

The differences in the two malls websites also show who dominates in the North Edmonton retail market.

www.londonderrymall.com
    www.kingswaymall.com
    Last edited by NielCole; 22-03-2011 at 04:38 PM.

The differences in the two malls websites also show who dominates in the North Edmonton retail market.

www.londonderrymall.com
    www.kingswaymall.com
    The website test is actually quite effective for a lot of companies. Good look
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade View Post

www.londonderrymall.com
    www.kingswaymall.com
    The website test is actually quite effective for a lot of companies. Good look
    I used the websites as an example If I were say from out of town and wanted to go shopping in that end of the city.....
    To me

Kingsway says stores, fashion, destination, style.

Londonderry says services, community, basics, ordinary.

There is nothing wrong about Londonderry offering those but as I said before they used to be a far better mall than what it has "devolved" to.
    Kingsway moved up Londonderry moved down.

I think Londonderry was a destination store a long time ago because it was one of the 1st. modern malls built in the city. Newer, bigger, brighter than what was before. No wonder the hicks were impressed. In fact, it really is in a time warp. It never really moved down so to speak. You could hardly call A & N moving into the old Woolco spot moving up. Therefore, it really stayed the same. As in late 70's to early 80's mode.

I think Londonderry was a destination store a long time ago because it was one of the 1st. modern malls built in the city. Newer, bigger, brighter than what was before. No wonder the hicks were impressed. In fact, it really is in a time warp. It never really moved down so to speak. You could hardly call A & N moving into the old Woolco spot moving up. Therefore, it really stayed the same. As in late 70's to early 80's mode.
    But in the 70's and 80's it had basically all the national stores of the day. It doesn't even have that in many cases. Some yes but if you want something besides tired branches (even for these chains) like Tip Top, Peoples, SportChek you go to Kingsway or elsewhere.

I know Eatons and Woolco have vanshed through no fault of the mall and that retailing has drastically changed but Londonderry has really done very little to stay on Edmontons retail must see and do list.

Bath and BodyWorks opening is the biggest coup they have had in a very very long time.

Any mall that advertises on their website that you can "do your banking" in this day and age of online and telephone services has lost the plot.

Gemini when was the last time you actually set foot in a bank? I honestly cannot remember the last time I have.

^Well, I can remember the last time I set foot in a bank. It was when I last robbed one . Last week I went to the bank as I wanted to withdraw $500. Now you may ask why I did not go to the ATM. Well, it gives out too many 50 dollar bills which some stores look at you like you are a criminal if you try to use one. I used the teller because I wanted 20's and 10's. Woolco may have left Londonderry but lets face it, you know and I know it was no upscale store. Eatons did have a following though. On that note major national stores started to get pummelled from smaller clothes/electronic/furniture only stores. I have to agree again, the 'doing your banking' is very dated but to the handful of pensioners who are not very computer literate it works. Then again if they are not computer literate they will not see that on the computer. I do go to the A & N in Londonderry now and then as it is good for guys work gear and tighty whities to put in Xmas stockings. The Bay is good for a white sale and Winners fine for tops and purses.

As you pointed out Londonderry is fine for everyday basics........but if you were to go shopping for something nicer or more stylish your going to hit Kingsway, Downtown, or Southgate, or even WEM right????

Londonderry is punching way below its wieght class..... It could be much much better.

Addicted to C2E

Lots of new housing going in within the catchment area of Londonderry, up by 167th. But unfortunately for the mall ,so much of it is young families who will naturally be drawn to the proposed Cameron development Big box format off of manning.

Northgate beat them to the punch by basically becoming a large Medical centre , with added shopping , Zellers ( Target ..one hopes) safeway etc. Definitely a stable operation with an expanding need base.

If one was to think outside the box , perhaps a strong theme for londonderry could be developed , Fitness and lifestyle ? thinking Lulu lemon , Fitness centre , travel , outdoor stores , Cooking store's and of course other fashion related stores . Obviously, I am not a retail planner . But I think that a small mall should have reason for you to want to go out of your way to it because you feel you will get a need fulfilled. If it keeps on the track it is going , I do not see good things in its future . A change of course is need , sooner rather than later.

londonderry got good number of people going there to shop, I don't see any problem as yet.

Your kidding right?

Londonderry for years was the dominant mall in the northern, northeastern sections of the city. Even when Kingsway opened in 76 the two centres had somewhat different clientele with K'way attracting the Sears, Zellers and the working class/ lower middle class shopper with Londonderry attracting a very solid middle class base with Eatons, the Bay with Woolco to attract the discount shopper.

Kingsway expanded and remodelled extensively a couple of times and has brought in more contemporary brands like Bench, Lululemon, H&M, PINK, Aritzia, American Eagle, aerie, RW&Co etc etc etc while Londonderry still relies on the staid almost forgettable Tip Top, Peoples, Mappins, Coles type brands that have been around forever and that fewer people see as "fashionable" or destination stores.

While Londonderry has attracted some tenants like Bath&BodyWorks and Filling the old Woolco/Wal-Mart space with Sport Chek and A&N the predominance of rather ordinary retailers does the mall no favours. It did a big expansion in the late 80's which basically flopped and the last reno sometime in the 90's is looking very dated with the blue trim and tile going on.

Kingsway has collected the retailers that have given it a fashionable image but these really are not that high end. American Eagle, H&M or the GAP are hardly expensive. But they have a far higher recognition factor with shoppers today than Tip Top, or Cotton Ginny (BTW that chain is shutting down) that seems to be Londonderrys stock in trade.

Kingsway is now attracting both the majority the lower middle class and the solid middle class shoppers from across the nothern half of the city that want to hit a decent contemporary store. Stores that Londonderry used to have a pretty good lock on.

According to Wikipedia, Londonderry is the 4th largest mall in Edmonton with about 735,000 sq ft. Compare it to Kingsway at 963,000 sq ft or Southgate at 928,000 sq ft it should have a far higher profile than it currently does with a footprint of that size.

As other posters have previously noted with the large box developments about to be put up along Manning Drive shoppers in that section of the city will have even LESS motivation to go to that mall. The box stores will take care of the "discount/outlet/bargain" shopper and Kingsway will attract the aspiring brand label shoppers leaving Londonderry floundering around in the middle as a very large overgrown community mall. That functions mainly as a place to pick up (as Gemini posted underwear, Christmas wrap, and bargain blouses at The Bay) With a side trip to the bank for seniors followed by coffee at the food court......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Largest...alls_in_Canada
    Last edited by NielCole; 22-03-2011 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hull534 View Post
    If one was to think outside the box , perhaps a strong theme for londonderry could be developed , Fitness and lifestyle ? thinking Lulu lemon , Fitness centre , travel , outdoor stores , Cooking store's and of course other fashion related stores .
    That's a good idea, seeing that there's a huge Sport Chek and a World Health Club in the mall.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hull534 View Post
    If one was to think outside the box , perhaps a strong theme for londonderry could be developed , Fitness and lifestyle ? thinking Lulu lemon , Fitness centre , travel , outdoor stores , Cooking store's and of course other fashion related stores .
    That's a good idea, seeing that there's a huge Sport Chek and a World Health Club in the mall.
    To balance off the attraction of both Kingsway's "fashion" marketing and the attraction of discount brand box stores. I personally still think that Londonderry's best bet (along the theme idea) is branded outlet shopping.
    AE Outlet, GapOutlet, MEC outlet, SprtChek outlet, etc etc etc If Calgary can have two in rather close proximity to each other (Deerfoot Mall and Cross Iron Mills) in the NE section with Deerfoot Meadows box outlet centre in the SE along Deerfoot Trail aound Glenmore then Edmonton surely can have SEC in the south with a revitalized outlet Londonderry in the NE.

Two Pics of Londonderry from it's conception and before its partial fall from grace.....

http://s960.photobucket.com/albums/a...dmonton027.jpg

http://s960.photobucket.com/albums/a...dmonton025.jpg

It's too bad LRT doesn't run by Londonderry... they've gotta have a few thousand unused parking stalls. Heck, if they offered reserved parking for $20/month and had a couple shuttles going back and forth to Belvedere or Claireview LRT, they could probably pull in some extra coin and generate some shoppers.

are there any malls served by LRT in Edmonton? oh wait southgate is right? any others?

Quote Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
    are there any malls served by LRT in Edmonton? oh wait southgate is right? any others?
    City Centre.

ah never think about that one

last night I posted a message right here before heading off to bed and now I found out that mods have removed my comments for no good reasons at all.

Aug. 16, 1972: Londonderry Mall officially opens

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...929/story.html

The explosion of colour greeting shoppers at Londonderry Mall said a lot about the revolution in merchandising over past few years.

Shoppers no longer walk into stores.

They walk into what Stan Shortt, vice-president of Eaton’s western stores, called a “theatrical experience.”

Shortt said the mall has entertainment value because people like to wander stores, even if they don’t plan to spend money. It took 43 years from the time Eaton’s constructed its downtown store at 102nd Avenue and 101st Street until it built its second, at Londonderry Mall.

I wonder if Londonderry has any sort of 40th anniversary display set up as it would be a nice stroll down memory lane inregards to it once being the largest and most innovative mall in Western Canada at the time.

Londonderry is in need of a refocus, with the big box area on 137th Avenue and Lowes and other stores opening soon on Manning Drive less people will go to Londonderry. They will either choose to do something or be forced to or it may start on the path that Capilano is going.

Londonderry has slipped alot in the past 30 or so years as it has gone from "the largest retail" destination in the city to nothing more than a large neighbourhood centre along with Bonnie Doon, Westmount, Mill Woods TC... etc.

When it opened people would drive all the way across the city to visit it.

To be totally honest I am still suprised that The Bay has remained in the mall.

When they did the last huge renovation they had still lots of top of the line chain stores (for that time) such as GAP, etc and over time have constantly lost the major stores to get independents (which is fine as long as they are attractive, unique and desirable) but no one is going to drive across the city to shop there just to go to a run of the mill HBC, Winners, Sport Chek or Save-On foods.

In most ways they let Kingsway pull so far ahead and totally dominate the N.E Edmonton retail fashion market as "the" regional mall with Londonderry is in a distant second place for that section of the city.

I know the now dead and gone Eatons and Woolco/Walmart vanishing acts hurt the mall but
    considering the steady growth in the N.E and outer areas such as Fort Saskatchewan you would think they would try much harder to regain focus on what shoppers want in a mall in this day and age.
    Last edited by NielCole; 16-08-2012 at 11:01 AM.

C2E Continued Contributor

Ah Londonderry, the mall with an identity crisis. I never really go here, despite not living too far away from it. I'd much prefer to go to Kingsway, which is a little further away. It's bigger, offer much of the same variety in shopping as Londonderry and more, and is modernized. Londonderry does indeed need to look at itself hard in the mirror and figure out what it wants to be (and fast).
    Vision - The art of seeing the invisible

In it's favour, Londonderry has the bitchin' Army and Navy. Seriously, I wish the Whyte Ave location would renovate to look the same (highly unlikely).
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

The Whyte Ave A&N is soooo retro it fits right into the location. While Londonderry has its anchors, ie Winners, HBC, Save-On, A&N and Sport Check, It is the mall itself that needs some TLC.

Its tenant base is uninspiring though it has made some progress with getting certain major chains into it such as Bath & Body Works recently but in regards to fashion and style it sorely lacks anything presently that will make it a "destination" shopping centre for Edmontonians.

It held that "title or crown" well after opening a trendsetting mall 40 years ago .

In the past 2 or so decades Southgate, Kingsway and WEM have re thought their images/tenants to become the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, or the Prince Harry of local retail LOL in regards to setting the pace in retail when it comes to suburban malls. Trendsetting malls that attracts customers.

Londonderry is now the Camilla in regards to Edmonton retail.......

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Every store was jammed with shoppers eager to get a look at the largest shopping centre west of Toronto and the only two-level mall in Western Canada.
    I found this pretty interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by NielCole View Post
    The Whyte Ave A&N is soooo retro it fits right into the location.
    I disagree... it's dingy, and not in the good way.
    I think of art, at its most significant, as a Distant Early Warning system that can always be relied on to tell the old culture what is beginning to happen to it. —Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by Dialog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NielCole View Post
    The Whyte Ave A&N is soooo retro it fits right into the location.
    I disagree... it's dingy, and not in the good way.
    It's not perfect but its not that "Dingy" try the A&N on East Hastings in Vancouver now that is dingy. Whyte avenue's branch is just worn around the edges a tad.

C2E SME

The Whyte ave A&N is not retro, it's just old. If they were to renovate it to look like the Londonderry location it would be a much nicer experience to go into, right now it just looks old and tired.
    Regarding Londonderry itself, overall it's not bad but yes some TLC would help it out for sure.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

C2E SME

I think that Londonderry Mall could try to find a niche like Meadowlark mall, which has specialized in health and wellness clinics and businesses.
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cat View Post
    I think that Londonderry Mall could try to find a niche like Meadowlark mall, which has specialized in health and wellness clinics and businesses.
    That is what Northgate did on the upper floor already.

Another epic fail by Londonderry Mall

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/enter...351/story.html

EDMONTON - Art and business don’t always mix — even when they try.

An exploratory exhibition set up throughout Londonderry Mall has left its artists disappointed after the shopping centre, without warning, moved and removed the bulk of their work, intentionally designed for and placed amid its mercantile halls.

Capricious! opened a flow of approachable conceptual art into an unusual public space, and the work was neither lewd nor contentious. The opening reception for the month-long exhibition was to be Thursday.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Wow, brutal article. This made me snort:

De Jong says she’s disappointed, too, saying she’d only “possibly” try something like this again. She notes the mall is having a pumpkin-carving contest Oct. 24. “That’s kind of artsy — and fun.”

C2E Posting Power

I'm all for supporting local artists, but one of the pieces looked like garbage bags hanging from the ceiling. Im surprised this made the news.

Wow brutal on both parts
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim

Tim Horton's is opening in Londonderry, second level at the top of the NE escalators next to Albert's. I think there was an art gallery in there before? This will bring some much needed traffic to the mall, although what it really needs is a real destination store - and I'm not talking about a Target. The whole north west portion of that mall is a dud, and is completely dead with Sport Check gone.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast