Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: Londonderry Mall | Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by cdm View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Does anyone know if the TDBank has a coin machine in that branch?.
    I believe TD removed all change machines everywhere.
    The Newcastle TD still had a change machine last time I was in there. About a month ago.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by sonicboom View Post
    Oomomo will be located next to Simons on the lower level.

https://www.londonderrymall.com/stor...ry-mall-oomomo
    Thank you Sonicboom. A new store is always exciting news! I have been to the one in WEM and it is a really cute store. I bought nothing but I think it does well.
    I find it to be such a weird concept for a store, with pretty much everything being the same price. Some things make sense, but when you have 3 sizes of the same object, and they're all priced the same, that's when it gets weird for me.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Kind of like McDonald's pop for $1, any size.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

The Seven Eighty store is now open on the 2nd level across from Winners

Subway has its wall showing "Coming Soon" and Wetzel's Pretzels has its wall showing "Baking Soon"

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Subway, uggh
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

i strolled through on friday, there are lots of empty bays. To the point where they have a "sponsored sitting area" where the food court used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by S3RI3S View Post
    i strolled through on friday, there are lots of empty bays. To the point where they have a "sponsored sitting area" where the food court used to be.
    I think renovating the entire mall during an economic downturn is gonna make it look pretty silly for a good long while. They say the city is expanding northwards, but these are pretty old areas right now... I think it'll finally have a strong customer-base by the time the mall will need to be renovated again .

Quote Originally Posted by Jabroniville View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by S3RI3S View Post
    I think renovating the entire mall during an economic downturn is gonna make it look pretty silly for a good long while. They say the city is expanding northwards, but these are pretty old areas right now... I think it'll finally have a strong customer-base by the time the mall will need to be renovated again .
    Pretty standard post boom situation. The economic boom causes an expansion and new retail development and the recession puts marginal players in jeopardy. Cutting costs and lease rates doesn’t help a lot if shoppers are still going to be going to the newer retail locations. Renovating may be the only option available.

The successes and failures of various malls actions in the 1980s like at Westmount mall, Heritage, Kingsway, Capilano and Meadowlark may provide some insight.

Probably the same issue with office towers. We’re seeing a large expansion as the economy wallows. Businesses leave the old towers for the new and the old tower owners now have to figure who they can now attract into the old tower and must decide what it will take to do so.

Moreover delaying renos and risking a further decline in business may mean that any window of opportunity to adequately and cheaply finance the renos may close.
    Last edited by KC; 05-03-2018 at 06:30 AM.

266258970-001
    28-Feb-2018
    1 - LONDONDERRY MALL NW
    Plan 5119RS Blk 1 Lots 50,53

To Construct interior alterations in an existing shopping mall food court. Subway @ Londonderry Mall, Kiosk FCU7.

IBEX 2000 CORP

274562203-001
    05-Mar-2018
    1 - LONDONDERRY MALL NW

To construct interior alterations at Londonderry Mall ("Wetzel's Pretzels"; CRU #243).

Redline Building Corporation

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by KC View Post
    The successes and failures of various malls actions in the 1980s like at Westmount mall, Heritage, Kingsway, Capilano and Meadowlark may provide some insight.
    Very true. As the last of the major malls to undergo a major reno they really risked falling into a downward spiral they could not recover from. Attracting a major tenant like Simons was a big step in assuring that wouldn't happen.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Yeah, it's a good sign, and might make the mall more approachable and liked by people. Though I can imagine many people going there now will be like me, and go "Wow- this is the nicest-looking nearly-empty mall I've ever seen!" .

They did do a good job by attracting Simons, however, I would bet that Simons is a bit disappointed. The announcement of Simons was made before Kingsway lost Target. Now there is Sears space opened at Kingsway and Southgate. I would imagine that Simons assumed that Londonderry would be a full mall with new stores around it that draw people down to that end. One would think that an H&M or Forever 21 would want to be in that wing or maybe Lululemon. Then prime retail space in the middle of the mall is going to be the new library. Please don't get me wrong, a library is wonderful and the new Edmonton Public Libraries are visually beautiful but wouldn't the mall prefer to be earning more revenue by opening an Old Navy? I would assume that no one wants to lease those big new spaces that opened up by the old food court and below at the pet store and sitting area. They don't seem to be attracting any big new retailers. They are also missing any plus sized ladies wear, EB Games (since Game City left, my sons won't go to Londonderry), the Gap, Eddie Bauer, Lululemon, Disney, American Eagle and many of the standard stores that are at all the other malls around the city.

276602546-001
    03-Apr-2018
    1 - LONDONDERRY MALL NW

To construct interior alterations in an existing shopping mall retail floor space. Removing demising walls between 3 CRU spaces to create 1 larger Shell CRU space. CRU 0200A, Londonderry Mall.

MMC International Architects Ltd.

275871601-001
    01-May-2018
    1 - LONDONDERRY MALL NW

To construct interior alterations to an Assembly Occupancy, CRU 0166 (Edmonton Public Library) Londonderry Mall

City of Edmonton Library Board, Johnny Nielson

The food court at Londonderry Mall looks great. Plenty of natural light, and the white marble pops nicely. The one mall section I went through looked nice, as well.

Friday June 8, 2018

I can see where WEM ripped off some of the stuff here too bad they ****** up by killing all the natural light for the sake of more sales floor space

C2E Long Term Contributor

I was at Londonderry today. I would say this is now the 4th best mall, running behind Southgate, WEM and Kingsway and just a couple hairs ahead of ECC.

There's still some empty spaces, especially on the 2nd level near Simons - however there's a large Oomomo and a Laura coming soon. The long narrow passageway to Save-On leaves much to be desired. Other than that, no complaints.

Too bad northeast isn't around much any more to provide up-to-the-minute details on this mall!
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I was at Londonderry today. I would say this is now the 4th best mall, running behind Southgate, WEM and Kingsway and just a couple hairs ahead of ECC.

There's still some empty spaces, especially on the 2nd level near Simons - however there's a large Oomomo and a Laura coming soon. The long narrow passageway to Save-On leaves much to be desired. Other than that, no complaints.

Too bad northeast isn't around much any more to provide up-to-the-minute details on this mall!
    Bugger all left at Kingsway. With Simons at Londonderry - I would give it a higher ranking than Kingsway.

Quote Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post

Bugger all left at Kingsway. With Simons at Londonderry - I would give it a higher ranking than Kingsway.
    I wonder if heads rolled at Kingsway for not getting Simons. Target sure didn't work out very good for them and Sears has only added to their grief. Perhaps Walmart will be better for them even though it is only taking part of the old Sears space.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post

I wonder if heads rolled at Kingsway for not getting Simons. Target sure didn't work out very good for them and Sears has only added to their grief. Perhaps Walmart will be better for them even though it is only taking part of the old Sears space.
    WEM has a radius restriction on other Simon’s stores. Londonderry was the only mall in the city that fell outside that radius. So no Kingsway couldn’t have had that store
    Parkdale

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Too bad there isn't enough room in the Clareview town Centre across the street from me. We've got a Goodlife in there, a block away from the rec centre, etc. Goodlife spent major bucks remodling the old theatre there and the lot is full adjacent to Best Buy around the clock. A Simon's store would be a perfect fit in that location, with a transit hub nearby more robust then Londonderry mall etc. Maybe Simon's likes malls instead though instead of stand a lone stores.

I didn't think anyone cared much for my updates. Thanks SDM.

Here's what I recall from my last trip to the mall a few days ago:

• as mentioned above, Laura Women's Clothing is coming Summer 2018 and Oomomo is coming soon
    • the EPL is moving from their existing location near the Save On Foods mall-to-store hallway to a more central location on the 1st floor next to Spring and where the pet store used to be in Summer 2018
    • the Kernels store is still supposedly opening up but no idea when...they had a piece of paper attached to the wall a while back saying, IIRC, they were going to be one of the first Kernels/Baskin Robbins co-shared locations in Alberta...if they ever open
    • there is a new Persian? rug store located where Revolver/Peanut Butter Gorgeous used to be
    • Subway and Wetzel's Pretzels have opened since my last update
    • there was a vending machine in the wall in the space next to Savani Hair...seemed odd and out of place, especially with Dollar Tree across the aisle

and:

• Pravda Shoes does not look like they're coming to the mall...the wall promoting the store's arrival has been replaced with other advertising
    • Moltisanti Clothing For Men has closed
    • the ion wristband kiosk has closed...no more asking about my balance, yes
    • Parkshop has closed but there are dresses in the storefront and Coming Soon on the windows...no indication of which retailer is "Coming Soon"
    • Lemon Dress has closed
    • Suzannes has closed
    • Tech Shop has closed

I'm seeing a lot more of the bare white walls covered up with stock photos and leasing opportunities signs on them, likely to make the mall look more occupied than vacant with disappearing tenants.

Was at the mall today. This is the first time I have been into Seven80 and it was a lovely store. My son bought a backpack and the man there was very friendly and helpful.

The rest of the mall is sad because there are so many vacancies. Looks beautiful though.

Disappointed to hear of so many stores closing. Is it because the landlord is not renewing leases to make space for better stores or because these stores are bankrupting?

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    Disappointed to hear of so many stores closing. Is it because the landlord is not renewing leases to make space for better stores or because these stores are bankrupting?
    I would say the stores weren't doing well because whenever I had walked past Lemon Dress and the other ones down that wing of "local stores", they never had anyone inside. In my opinion, local stores do better in areas like Whyte Ave. In malls, we come for Lululemon and Eddie Bauer. Having said that...Londonderry needs Lululemon, Eddie Bauer, Old Navy, Artizia, American Eagle Outfitters, The Gap, Sephora, The Disney Store, Lego, Apple, EB Games (I through that one in my for my sons), etc etc...the list goes on. The stores that were there are the same as before they renovated except for Simons and a few others. My sons miss GameCity and so they have no use for the mall. I used to live close to the mall so I would go because it was my local mall but now that I live further away, there is nothing there that motivates me to go often. We were there yesterday as we go to the Londonderry Optical (fabulous optometrists and amazing eye ware selection). I assume they are having problems attracting more stores.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Or it could be just the economy. I know the owner of the Lululemon store at Southgate, her store seems to be doing well, though I haven't seen her since last Spring.

I would say the stores weren't doing well because whenever I had walked past Lemon Dress and the other ones down that wing of "local stores", they never had anyone inside. In my opinion, local stores do better in areas like Whyte Ave. In malls, we come for Lululemon and Eddie Bauer. Having said that...Londonderry needs Lululemon, Eddie Bauer, Old Navy, Artizia, American Eagle Outfitters, The Gap, Sephora, The Disney Store, Lego, Apple, EB Games (I through that one in my for my sons), etc etc...the list goes on. The stores that were there are the same as before they renovated except for Simons and a few others. My sons miss GameCity and so they have no use for the mall. I used to live close to the mall so I would go because it was my local mall but now that I live further away, there is nothing there that motivates me to go often. We were there yesterday as we go to the Londonderry Optical (fabulous optometrists and amazing eye ware selection). I assume they are having problems attracting more stores.
    It's a bit unfortunate- it's an adventure to get to this mall from where I live, but it's not really worth the trip, as it's more of a "Sad Little Mall"- like Bonnie Doon if it was prettier and looked new.

Someone here said that it was likely they were renovating the mall because even while the economy is down, they had to LOOK like they were trying and attracting more tenants- better to do it now than have a dying mall when the economy picks up again and they look below-par.

This side of town doesn't really have a lot of stuff luring shoppers over, aside from the Big Box Stores close to Clareview LRT station. And I think the dissolution of Sears AND Target was a one-two punch that left other malls desperate for more tenants, which lured anyone who MIGHT have gone to Londonderry over to the empty spaces in Kingsway, WEM and other places.

If the city DOES expand more in this direction, then Londonderry will have more of a purpose. But as it is, you could see all there is to see in less than an hour. The Simons is looking good, but it's hard to see it as a tentpole store all by itself.

According to their newsletter, the Edmonton Public Library will be opening up at their new location in the mall on Monday, August 13.

We went to the new Simons at Londonderry - big, beautiful and stunning. I was surprised that the menswear is so huge on the bottom floor. I like the design and layout much better here than at the WEM location. I wish they had a mens cologne bar and maybe a Nespresso Cafe in-store.

The rest of the mall looks great. I must have missed the new Library location. The mall looks fully occupied and there are signs on a few spots announcing the new retail to be opened soon. The North East end of Edmonton are lucky to have such a beautiful mall.

Mostly occupied? I haven't been there for a while, but most of other posters gave me the impression that it's half empty.

Mostly occupied? I haven't been there for a while, but most of other posters gave me the impression that it's half empty.
    Not so. Next to Simons the Laura chain of women is about to open several stores and Japanese store Oomomo is opening soon. This is by far the nicest designed mall in Edmonton. It's not an entertainment venue mall like WEM but who needs that anyway. You have HBC, Simons, Winners - nice food court and few places like Tony Roma. The Library will help add some foot traffic. At Simons mid morning there were lots of teens shopping in menswear and the prices were very good. There is a lot more at Londonderry than at City Centre.

Not so. Next to Simons the Laura chain of women is about to open several stores and Japanese store Oomomo is opening soon. This is by far the nicest designed mall in Edmonton. It's not an entertainment venue mall like WEM but who needs that anyway. You have HBC, Simons, Winners - nice food court and few places like Tony Roma. The Library will help add some foot traffic. At Simons mid morning there were lots of teens shopping in menswear and the prices were very good. There is a lot more at Londonderry than at City Centre.
    I agree, I like the layout at Londonderry better too. I have gone there a number of times and I really like this store.

1. new Edmonton Public Library is open - feels smaller than expected, especially when 3/4 of the false wall covering the front is still up
    2. the store "opening soon" at the former ParkShop locations will be called "The Crown Label" - sign is up
    3. Laura's interior is coming along nicely and should be opening up by the end of summer
    4. a friend had a peek inside Oomomo and said it looks the same as it did last year [ie. no progress] - since the wall says "Opening Soon" and not "Coming Summer/Fall/etc of 20XX", I'm wondering if they are actually coming to Londonderry Mall or not

I've never been to londonderry mall in my life lol. I should take a look. Is it bigger than Southgate?

Slightly smaller according to Wikipedia. - 776,749 square feet vs 940,986 sq ft.

If you think the downtown Hudson's Bay is mediocre, check out the Londonderry location.
    Dark.
    Uninviting.
    The men's section takes up just 1/4 of the upper level.
    Cut my stay short.

Thankfully the rest of the mall is more welcoming.
    But where o where is the entrance to Spasation?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

At least the bay has tried to stay relevant over the years, unlike sears which seemed to want to force the world to stay in the eighties.

Laura has now opened up on the 2nd level by Simons.

But where o where is the entrance to Spasation?
    Spasation needs to fix that - so many people confused.

The entrance is within the Shoppers Drug Mart corridor and not the Hudson's Bay corridor. Go south of Purdy's, east of the elevator and you've found it.

At the very least Spasation should put up a sign or something in the Hudson's Bay corridor so that they're not losing business.

Nygard - which also operates Tan Jay / Alia in the mall - will be opening Nygard Plus at the former Suzanne's location on the top level between Winners and Era Ageless October 2018.

Sounds like the mall is slowly filling up.

• The Crown Label is now open at the former ParkShop location
    • First has taken over the former Lemon Dress location and is now open - I believe it may be the same First Canadian store that was at the mall before that sold biker-related clothing

Still "coming soon"...

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Anyone going to the grand opening for the Public Library at londonderry mall?

https://epl.bibliocommons.com/events...a44e3500c81f07

Libraries do grand openings?

• Nygard Plus is now open
    • Lazy One is in the space where the chairs/TV sets were set up for the Olympics - 2nd floor across from Timmies - and should be there for the upcoming holiday season
    • Calendar Club should be coming soon, according to the mall's website
    • It sounded like there was constructive activity in the Oomomo space when I walked by the other day
    • First is actually First Apparel - my bad
    • Tutti Frutti appears to have closed - the barred shop doors surrounding the place have been in place for a few weeks now and they no longer appear on the mall's website

Not surprised about the Tutti Frutti. The place was always empty and it was in a bad spot in my opinion. Near the food court would've made more sense.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910