Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Londonderry Mall | Discussion

964466-006
    05-Feb-2014
    1 - LONDONDERRY MALL NW
    Plan 5119RS Blk 1 Lots 50,53

To construct interior alterations an existing fitness club assembly ("GoodLife Fitness" Londonderry Mall-unit 1102 behind SaveOn)

C2E Long Term Contributor

Wasn't there a World Health or Club Fit in Londonderry at one point?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

It's strange that this location is not listed as one of their Upcoming Locations

http://www.goodlifefitness.com/newclubs/

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Wasn't there a World Health or Club Fit in Londonderry at one point?
    World Health closed in that location this past summer.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Tim Horton's is opening in Londonderry, second level at the top of the NE escalators next to Albert's. I think there was an art gallery in there before? This will bring some much needed traffic to the mall, although what it really needs is a real destination store - and I'm not talking about a Target. The whole north west portion of that mall is a dud, and is completely dead with Sport Check gone.
    Funny you say, I was there a few weeks ago and one of the workers in the mall said that Target was going to take over the Sport Chek space. Got to take it for what its worth, but it doesn't sound that far fetched they would move into that space.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by jmart81 View Post
    Tim Horton's is opening in Londonderry, second level at the top of the NE escalators next to Albert's. I think there was an art gallery in there before? This will bring some much needed traffic to the mall, although what it really needs is a real destination store - and I'm not talking about a Target. The whole north west portion of that mall is a dud, and is completely dead with Sport Check gone.
    Funny you say, I was there a few weeks ago and one of the workers in the mall said that Target was going to take over the Sport Chek space. Got to take it for what its worth, but it doesn't sound that far fetched they would move into that space.
    That's exactly what's going to happen. They'll be occupying both the old Sportchek space and the Old Navy space below it.
    Vision - The art of seeing the invisible

I'd rather C2E than work!

Old Navy would be fine unfortunately its Army and Navy which brings down the mall quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    Old Navy would be fine unfortunately its Army and Navy which brings down the mall quite a bit.
    Eerr my bad I got those two messed up. But yeah the Army and Navy space will be used up by Target as well.
    Vision - The art of seeing the invisible

No problem, I just wonder would Target bring back the removed movator that was in the old Woolco. Nah probably just use escalators like some of the other 2 floor Targets (WEM, Kingsway).

Quote Originally Posted by sundance View Post
    No problem, I just wonder would Target bring back the removed movator that was in the old Woolco. Nah probably just use escalators like some of the other 2 floor Targets (WEM, Kingsway).
    same thing when Walmart was there before
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

C2E Posting Power
    YEG: Alberta Avenue, Boyle Street, McCauley | YLW: Shannon Lake | PHX: San Tan Valley

Have it from an insider that sizable Londonderry renovation is beginning as soon as 1 month from now.

Not willing to say much more, but it's a pretty fresh and appealing look from what I saw.

^I needs it.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown View Post
    Have it from an insider that sizable Londonderry renovation is beginning as soon as 1 month from now.

Not willing to say much more, but it's a pretty fresh and appealing look from what I saw.
    Yup.. Major changes coming to that complex shortly
    Parkdale

150427284-001
    15-Apr-2014
    1 - LONDONDERRY MALL NW
    Plan 5119RS Blk 1 Lots 50,53

Selective demolition of ceilings in 10 CRU's at Londonderry Mall

Value: $1,704,500

I noticed some exterior work today where the old Safeway/Toys R Us was located. Anyone have insider info as to what is coming?

C2E Posting Power
    YEG: Alberta Avenue, Boyle Street, McCauley | YLW: Shannon Lake | PHX: San Tan Valley

I have some renderings. I'll see if my friend will give me permission to post.

I think with the northeast getting their version of South Edmonton Commons, it pretty much will be the death of Londonderry Mall.
    Only reason I use to go there was for Sports Chek but it's closed now. Nothing much else.
    So I just hit Kingsway now if I have to pick up something.
    I do remember going there in the 80s when it was popular but it just hasn't kept up with the times. Something WEM almost fell victim to, but the did renovations.
    Edmonton ~ It may not be perfect, but it's home~

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    I think with the northeast getting their version of South Edmonton Commons, it pretty much will be the death of Londonderry Mall.
    Only reason I use to go there was for Sports Chek but it's closed now. Nothing much else.
    So I just hit Kingsway now if I have to pick up something.
    I do remember going there in the 80s when it was popular but it just hasn't kept up with the times. Something WEM almost fell victim to, but the did renovations.
    Not sure if that's a valid argument. South Edmonton Common did not kill off Southgate or the malls in Millwoods. OK Heritage Mall died but that was a redundant mall anyway. Hopefully Londonderry steps up their game big-time.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Yep. Heritage began to hemmhorage when Woodwards closed down at Southgate.

Howzzat you may well ask? 'Cause what happened next is that Sears left Heritage to take up the former Woodwards space.

Then Eatons went out of business.

Left HUGE holes, all but signed the death warrent for Heritage.
    ... gobsmacked

A dead mall is nothing but opportunity...

In the USA.. they are being used for college campuses, the bones are being repurposed for rec/community centers.

We are often very bad at revision things...
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Londonderry is in a great location and could easily return to some of it's former brief glory if management put some effort in.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

One rung below Kingsway and Southgate for profitability, one rung above Northgate, Capilano, Meadowlark, Westmount, Abbottsfield and Heritage for viability.

The renovations are justified to keep up, I see it being a similar mall for the next 10 or 15 years at least, but I would be surprised if they were anywhere near as drastic as the 1990s reno. That was a (great) renovation for the text books.

Wonder what will happen with the Sport Chek space. I'm guessing leasing that is the larger impetus for this reno. They've already got a grocery store, and I think either Target or Wal-Mart would want both floors. I don't see any of the CTC operations going back in. I don't see A&N expanding.

Future Shop maybe?

The Brick?
    Let's make Edmonton better.

Wink

Future Shop? I hope not! My husband will go there one day, never to be seen again!

IMHO Londonderry has enough anchors. That stretch should be converted into more "mall", and house another 20 stores.

I just really want a Zara on the north side
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Better restaurants, more entertainment, bowling alley. Seniors residence... Maybe develope some commercial space.

I think that these malls need to look past standard tenant mixes. Nor can every mall be a high end mall.

Default Great News

Londonderry is already going through a renovation! Apparently it will take a while, but it is finally happening! It is certainly time.

I got quite the surprise on visit to Londonderry on Saturday. Ceilings all ripped out everywhere, walls anywhere on the mall itself in many businesses. The floor was done a few years back so that was not touched. the rest looked like a skeleton inside. I wonder what they are doing with the ceilings? Major $$ being spent on all of this for sure.

The mix of stores is fairly good, better than City Centre. I did not look to see what is happening in the old Sport Check space though. They need some large anchor tenants - and I don't Target is seeing success in Canada right now...or Walmart (which was there already when it took over Woolco). Not sure which store would be viable in this location.

C2E Posting Power

Rumour was Target was going into the Sport Check space, but with new upper management at Target and their lack of success so far who knows if that's true.

I went to the pet store there for a couple things and the store was mostly empty. They said they were moving into another part of the mall but not sure exactly where yet.

Sat, Aug 9th

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

I wonder what will happen for new tenants. This part of the city (north east in general) needs somewhere to shop. There is a ton of new housing all along the Henday. I hope this turns out well with a good mix.

^^Wow and just when i though WEM was bad that looks worse!!!

If you go to the Londonderry Mall wiki page, someone updated this page saying that Nordstoms is moving into the Sportchek location which will open in 2016. They also mentioned that Old Navy was moving into the My Pet store and Lacoste would be moving in to the Mobilicity location. Wikipedia has since removed this information but you can go to the history and edit portion and still see it all (it was removed on Sept 15). Also, a clerk in one of the stores told me that the dentist office was moving because the whole Winners wing will be the new food court. Hopefully we will not lose Winners but there is also the big space where ToysRus used to be (unless it is moving in the Sportchek site but that would mean the Nordstrom store is incorrect). Always, this news is from Wikipedia and rumour from a patient of the dentist so who knows if it is true.

Wonder what will happen to the cinemas that are there. That space was never used again as far as I know.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

I think the theatres became a church for a while but I am not sure if it still is as I haven't been around to that side in a long time. On the Wikipedia page (which is hard to say if it is true or not), they mention a SilverCity theatre but why would Londonderry put another theatre there when Manning Town Centre just opened. The old theatre only had a few screens so it wouldn't be big enough to be a multiplex. I wonder why Londonderry is being so secretive of their plans?

They probably are just trying to create a buzz with their secrecy. Or maybe they don't know who will be occupying their new renovated mall. Maybe their thinking 'if we renovate they will come'. Would be nice though if they did spruce up the place as the north end of town does need a decent mall.

A client of mine based in the mall told me that the Winners wing was indeed turning into a food court. Spasation has to relocate due to this. All medical services were moved to the far upper north wing to open up prime space for retail, although I don't know if this includes Londonderry Optical, as that store is considered a flagship optometrist and does huge volume.

Sometimes I think that Londonderry tries to be all things to all people. It's had cinemas, bingo, comedy club, Legion Branch in there. It's just seems like a real strange mix. Then there is the liquor store in the upper parking lot. Not to mention the closest entrance to the liquor store always seems to have people loitering outside the bar smoking. It does not give off a good vibe.

I really can't see Nordstroms opening at Londonderry Mall before they open at Southgate or WEM, not unless one of Londonderry's marketing people somehow gets a Nordstroms executive blinding drunk and talks him into it.

A client of mine based in the mall told me that the Winners wing was indeed turning into a food court. Spasation has to relocate due to this. All medical services were moved to the far upper north wing to open up prime space for retail, although I don't know if this includes Londonderry Optical, as that store is considered a flagship optometrist and does huge volume.
    what will happen to food court where they are now at ??

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I really can't see Nordstroms opening at Londonderry Mall before they open at Southgate or WEM, not unless one of Londonderry's marketing people somehow gets a Nordstroms executive blinding drunk and talks him into it.
    Unless the mall is moving into a more "outlet" type idea and they go for The Rack @ Nordstroms there. I could see that happening but it depends on what they do with the rest of their tenant mix. The north side isn't all ghetto. There are a lot of wealth immigrant families who would be a perfect target audience for higher end merchant outlet mall concepts.

130 million dollar makeover announced. I'd love to post the Journal article, but something weird is going on where goofy characters are being inserted between letters.

Let's try this link
    edmjr.nl/1svvglJ

Nice!

That's a whopper of a reno. I can't wait! It's the closest mall to me, and it really needs some work. I'll be in trouble if they can attract a Zara!

I wonder what their concept is... Just another mall with the same vendors? Or something special like outlet stores etc. It has major potential and had great bones to become a big player in the retail scene.

exterior looks nice! It could be the nicest mall exterior in edmonton

That entrance shown in the first picture. Is that the McDonald's entrance?

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    That entrance shown in the first picture. Is that the McDonald's entrance?
    I think so. BMO is on the left.

(https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3904/...e08a69e0_c.jpg)

I'm within pretty close driving distance to Londonderry Mall. Really looking forward to this make over. Hopefully it will be a good alternative to Kingsway or Southgate (which is a good mall but a long way for me to drive).

Project to commence immediately with anticipated completion in 2017

http://londonderrymall.com/posts/lon...dising-project

^Why does it take so long for mall projects to be finished?. It's not like it's a mall being built from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    ^Why does it take so long for mall projects to be finished?. It's not like it's a mall being built from scratch.
    Because mixing a construction site with a functioning retail destination requires additional steps that aren't as needed when the only people on the job site are workers wearing protective gear.

Maybe they should issue PPE for all mall patrons!
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

This is my nearest mall also. Quite excited about this reno, and hopefully some good new retailers.

Would be nice to see a smaller Ikea satellite store in there.

Does IKEA do satellite stores?

That's a whopper of a reno. I can't wait! It's the closest mall to me, and it really needs some work. I'll be in trouble if they can attract a Zara!
    me too .. I live 8 blocks south from this mall

It seems that Nordstroms would be a strange fit today but if they are completely changing the mall into upper end, you never know. Chinook Centre in Calgary is very high end mall but when I lived beside Chinook Mall 20 years ago it was a horrible dated dark mall with a horrible food court then they remodeled it completely and now it is a high end mall with the newly opened Nordstroms, Tiffany & co, etc. North Edmonton has all of those new communities around 167th ave and Griesbach. If there is a reason to come to the mall, people from all over the city will come. Plus with the Anthony Henday, St. Albert is a stones throw away. I don't think it will be an outlet mall as the same company that built Cross Iron Mills is building an outlet mall by the airport. I am excited as I love Londonderry Mall and feel it has great potential.

I dream of the day when the NW LRT is up to St. Albert, and a new LRT line runs E/W along 137ave to connect those two lines along with everything from the massive employment nodes in the far NW to all the residential and shopping along 137ave, including a luxury mall

I don't see Nordstrom opening more than one Edmonton location until at the earliest 2020. I am positive that Londonderry will not be their first and only.

The Rack @ Nordstrom might be a possibility, but I doubt it would be a priority either. As usual, WEM, Southgate, Downtown and Kingsway, and probably even South Edmonton Common will be ahead of Londonderry.

Below is what is showing on the Nordstrom's Wikipedia page. Clearly Wikipedia isn't 100% accurate as anyone can edit the site but sometimes rumours turn out to be true.

Expansion into Canada[edit]

Nordstrom officially announced its expansion to Canada on September 13, 2012, announcing the opening of 4 locations all owned by Cadillac Fairview. The first three will be in former Sears locations and one former Sport Chek location, the result of a 170 million dollar buyout to vacate the sites, and the fourth store is to be a new build in.
    The Calgary store opened in Chinook Centre Septmember 19,2014 [27] and other Canadian stores are expected to open March 6, 2015 (Ottawa Rideau Centre), fall 2015 (Vancouver Pacific Centre), summer 2016 (Edmonton Londonderry Mall), fall 2016 (Toronto Yorkdale Centre), fall 2016 (Toronto Eaton Centre), spring 2017 (Toronto Sherway Gardens).[28]
    On April 8, 2013, Nordstrom announced a fifth Canadian location at Toronto's Yorkdale Shopping Centre.[29]
    On January 15, 2014, a sixth location was announced for the Toronto Eaton Centre, replacing a flagship Sears location that is closed in February 2014.[30]

Sport Chek Supercentre relocated 2014, and its space is now vacant. Nordstrom will open a location on July 10, 2016 in the former Sport Chek.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Londonderry_Mall

Nordstrom would really be challenging strategic norm in Canada if that turns out.

Big bold move by 20Vic

Those who sluff this redevelopment off as inconsequential to the Retail scene in Edmonton are in for a big surprise
    Parkdale

I'm not in any way sluffing this redevelopment, all I'm saying is it would require a bold move by Nordstrom.

I'm sure they know what they're doing and if that's where they see big untapped potential, that's where they'll go. 5 years ago no luxury retailer in Canada would consider suburbia at all, so yeah, there's movement in thinking, but this would be another, er, unprecedented step.

^ not necessarily aimed at you J.. I've heard a lot of people marginalizing what's going to happen up there. Those are the folks in for a surprise
    Parkdale

I admit that I would be pleasantly surprised if Nordstrom opens at Londonderry. Let's face it, that part of town is not regarded as higher end by many folks, and I know people who think it's a higher crime area. But maybe this revamped mall can help the area greatly.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Do you think it was LD who approached them first? Offered them the best deal? Or are they (Nordstrom) not confident Sears is going to pull the plug on its WEM/Southgate stores in the near future, leaving LD as the only mall with enough space for its store?
    Last edited by EscoffierLivesOn; 30-09-2014 at 02:02 PM.

People forget that the area between 137th avenue and the north leg of the Henday contains up and coming communities like Griesbach, Oxford, McChonachie, Schonseee, Albany, and New Castle. Londonderry Mall is the closest mall to those neighbourhoods, and is readily accessible from the Henday or 137 avenue. Londonderry is also the closest mall to Fort McMurray, and the other oil rich communities of northern Alberta. And the opening of Nordstrom's will coincide with the completion of the Henday, which means the department store will be readily accessible for shoppers anywhere on the periphery of Edmonton, including Sherwood Park, Windermere, and St. Albert.

The mall is about forty minutes from downtown [edit]on transit[/edit]. If they wanted to steal some business from Edmonton City Centre and Kingsway, they should petition the city to get an express bus from either Belvedere or Clareview to Londonderry Mall to cut the travel time further. I'm sure near-bye residents would use this for commuting to the core, too.
    Last edited by Ustauk; 30-09-2014 at 03:14 PM.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Sorry, but don't see how it's relevant that Londonderry is the closest mall to Fort McMurray (definitely a stretch). Also, it's not a 40 minute drive from downtown. In rush hour it is 20-30 min max.

Quote Originally Posted by jason403 View Post
    Sorry, but don't see how it's relevant that Londonderry is the closest mall to Fort McMurray (definitely a stretch). Also, it's not a 40 minute drive from downtown. In rush hour it is 20-30 min max.
    Fort McMurray and the north have money; by positioning a Nordstrom's there, Londerry is hoping to make itself a destination mall, and maybe get northern Albertans go to it instead of West Ed or Kingsway.

I meant forty minutes by transit; I forgot to include the word transit, and have edited the original post to reflect this.

I agree with 240GLT. This is not Nordstrom potentially going into the "old Londonderry Mall", this is Nordstrom possibly going into something completely transformed. What is happening at Londonderry is not just a paint job. I think this mall has huge potential. I think I mentioned in an earlier post that I used to live beside Chinook Centre in Calgary before renovations (15+ years ago) and that mall was a dark DUMP with the worst foodcourt ever. Now, that mall is the envy of the city. I would assume if Nordstrom did open up in Londonderry, Army and Navy and all the dollar stores would be gone. Maybe that is why Londonderry Mall hasn't announced much yet as they are probably looking at whose leases expire.

When Londonderry opened, it was the biggest mall outside of Toronto. It was certainly the jewel in Edmonton's retail crown through the 70s. Sounds like they're trying to get some of that back with this refit.

And yeah, although the communities immediately around Londonderry are certainly not upper crust, there are lots of upper end communities sprouting up around there. North of the Henday by the Quarry golf course is going to explode with 3000 square foot shacks over the next five years and Griesbach will be full of Nordstrom customers.

I think making Londonderry a little more upscale is a great idea. Ya, the south side has more money, generally speaking, but that doesn't mean there's no money on the north side.

As it is now, many people only go to Londonderry if they're not in the mood for a longer drive to Kingsway because it's not a great mall, but these improvements will definitely be welcomed and will result in more traffic at the mall.

The only people that don't understand what Londonderry is doing are the same people who never cross the river and haven't the slightest clue what happens on the north side. Those of us up here totally understand.

No offense guys, I see Londonderry perhaps moving up into Kingsway territory, (and hope City Centre moves into Southgate/WEM territory) but I don't see Londonderry attracting Nordstrom this time around.

(Big fan of Londonderry's A&N, MyPet, Fabricland, and Library speaking.)

Good thing Londonderry doesn't care what you think and is investing $130M to attract better tenants. WEM only put up $40M. This is one step short of ripping up the mall and rebuilding it from scratch. On top of that, I highly doubt they made that decision without having talked to potential tenants...

???

I think you're misinterpreting what I'm saying.

Yes Londonderry will be massively improved. Yes it's quadruple what Oxford said for City Centre Mall during a strip club zoning application, yes it's in the neighbourhood of the WEM (internal-only) renovation. Yes Londonderry will attract better tenants and yes the neighbourhood justifies the whole process.

But (and I know I should leave it there) all I'm saying is, out on my limb, I don't see it attracting this one particular quasi-luxury retailer's only Edmonton location.

Haha ok, fair enough. As long as we're all in agreement this will be an incredibly massive and transformational change, with or without Nordstroms.

I don't give a crap about Nordstroms anyway. Show me a Zara, Londonderry!

Chmilz loves Zara.

On another note, I don't think it's far fetched to say Nordstrom's would go into Londonderry if Londonderry is converting to an upscale mall. It wasn't that long ago that Southgate was in the same league as Londonderry and look at it now.

With the opening of AHD Londonderry will be just about equidistant from St. Albert and Sherwood. Neither community could support an upscale store on it's own although people in these communities do tend to have a higher disposable income. Good news for Londonderry?
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

I do love me some Zara!

Also think long term: Horse Hills is being positioned as a high tech industrial park. South Edmonton's boom is largely fueled by the high paying jobs out in Nisku. North Edmonton will likely see a similar boom to south Edmonton once that hits, and as the Industrial Heartland continues to grow. In the near-ish future, I expect Fort Saskatchewan, Gibbons, and probably Morinville to replace Spruce Grove, Leduc, and Beaumont as the fastest growing bedroom communities, with some high end housing. Londonderry is well positioned to be the luxury destination of choice for all that.

Nobody drops $130 million without careful consideration.

Side thought: anyone get the feeling that malls are going either upscale or medical/service, while big-box power centres have taken over as the mass retailer destinations that malls used to be? Seems like they're redefining themselves.

You might be onto something there.

Meadowlark and Northgate have gone medical, and Westmount has transformed itself into a hybrid power centre mall.

The main malls are West Ed, City Centre, Southgate, Kingsway, Londonderry. Of those, Londonderry is the last of the old format. The others have all tried to upscale their image in one way or another.

Construction is underway on the north side of the building where the ol' safeway was years ago. This mall is in desperate need of an upgrade - super stoked to see what it'll look like. Will try and grabba photo after work.

^^ City Centre is due for a major upgrade next year as mentioned in a couple of other threads.

West Ed seems pretty confident that Nordstrom would choose their mall.

And Ghermezian hasn’t given up hope that Nordstrom, which opened in Calgary last month to great fanfare, will move further north in time.

“I have been reasonably assured, if they come to Edmonton, West Edmonton Mall will be their entry point. They have a very strong store at Mall of America (another Triple Five property in Minnesota). So they know West Edmonton Mall is a no-brainer for them.”
    Edmonton Journal

Perhaps this is why West Edmonton Mall is looking to create a whole new area. There are no other available locations at WEM for a store like Nordstrom. I am sure they would not be interested in moving to the Sears location. There is also Saks Fifth Avenue to consider.

Who knows if the Nordstrom rumour on Wikipedia is correct, however, I don't think that Londonderry wouldn't be spending $140M if they haven't secured some type of commitment from some big stores.

I keep wondering who keeps adding Nordstrom to the Londonderry Wikipedia page? Is it someone who has insider information or someone that enjoys starting these rumours. So far it has been added twice and then removed twice.

Maybe Edmonton will land two Nordstrom's and simply blow the minds of the entire country lol

Why blow our minds, both metro Seattle and metro Portland have 9 stores. Edmonton can probably handle 4 or so.
    Last edited by sundance; 07-10-2014 at 09:23 AM.

On the 20 VIC website, I found a proposed floor plan. Some interesting things to note are that Army & Navy is not on there and their space is divided into 3 stores. You can see the foodcourt on the second floor and how it is to be set up. Also, the old Safeway location will have access to the main part of the mall. I am sad to see that Dollarama is larger and my sons' favourite store (Game City) is not on the map. Hopefully it is just moving somewhere else in the mall. The space where the pet store was is going to be a very large store and at one point on Wikipedia (before it was removed) it mentioned that space may become an Old Navy.

http://www.20vic.com/retailpdf/C--Us...ondonderry.pdf

I am sorry but Nordstrom's will be located in WEM or Southgate. They locate where the higher incomes are and thats on the west or SW portion of the City. End of story.

Yes, the Londonderry renovation is significant and it will help them reposition it to be attractive to some new retailers. But I don't think it will be one of the 'premier fortress malls in the region, mark my words on that.

Interesting that they've divided Army & Navy into three parts on the main floor. If they don't put a destination tenant in there that's going to continue to be a dead wing.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    I am sorry but Nordstrom's will be located in WEM or Southgate. They locate where the higher incomes are and thats on the west or SW portion of the City. End of story.

Yes, the Londonderry renovation is significant and it will help them reposition it to be attractive to some new retailers. But I don't think it will be one of the 'premier fortress malls in the region, mark my words on that.
    You don't spend much time up north do you? What do you think is being built up here, trailer parks?

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I agree, I live a few min north of there in Ozerna and there are tons of $700,000+ houses up here.

The pdf that cdm linked to shows an average household income of $102,000 for the market demographic and a sales per square foot of $407 for the mall.

Obviously the sales per square foot has as much to do with the retailers as it does the neighbourhood, so that should increase, but I honestly don't know how the average household income compares to west and south. My guess is, it's a little on the low side.

Quote Originally Posted by Vincent View Post
    The pdf that cdm linked to shows an average household income of $102,000 for the market demographic and a sales per square foot of $407 for the mall.

Obviously the sales per square foot has as much to do with the retailers as it does the neighbourhood, so that should increase, but I honestly don't know how the average household income compares to west and south. My guess is, it's a little on the low side.

The $102k figure is for the Secondary Trade Area comes with this little note:

*The Secondary Trade Area reaches out around the city limits, including the bedroom communities of Sherwood Park, St. Albert, Spruce Grove, Devon, Beaumont, Namao (CFB Edmonton), Morinville, Bon Accord and Gibbons. An estimated 45 minute drive time (60km) from the Centre.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

That's the entire city and more. If that's the important number to them, then maybe being located in the north east is irrelevant.

This Londonderry revamp will be completed around about the same time the last NE leg of the A H is finished. The road (66th Street) were Londonderry is a feeder for A H. There is all kings of sub-divisions going up within a few minutes drive of the mall. If Londonderry has the right tenants there will be no end of customers flocking there. An Apple store would be a good addition, Lenscrafters, Victoria Secret. They would make money there.

^ I tend to agree, actually.

What I don't see is Londonderry getting the first of things like Nordstrom, Victoria's Secret, Apple, etc, but I don't think that's the end of the story.

As for Edmonton getting two Nordstroms or more, I don't see it before 2020, and a lot could change in the interim (see Target) (see HMV) but honestly about Nordstrom I am meh all over meh. Nothing for me at Nordstrom that Simons doesn't do far better, and like I said before, it isn't Holts either.

Rather Saks, Simons, or Holts, although all three may be even slower to open a second location.

Zara in Londonderry would be nice. Couldn't care less about H&M though - terrible quality.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast