Thread: Winter of 69

Default Winter of 69

I grew up in Edmonton and my friends in North Carolina do not know what a cold winter is all about. Does anyone have the Edmonton Journal's "I survived the winter of 69" certificate that could be posted ? Most appreciated

I'd rather C2E than work!

I wish I did. I remember it well, though I didn't remember the year.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

My mom still has it in her scrap book. I could not find it on the web. I will try to post a copy.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

I've still got mine in an album in the basement somewhere. My dad got them for the whole family. Yardley Jones did the art for it.

C2E Super Addict

I was born that winter and until this thread I had no idea there was anything particular about the weather that year.

"The city's longest cold snap was in 1969 when the temperature never got warmer than -20 C for 26 consecutive days. The Journal handed out certificates to survivors." http://www.edmontonjournal.com/techn...460/story.html

I can't find the actual dates of that cold snap.
    Last edited by Chump; 14-01-2010 at 11:11 PM.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Yup it was cold alright. Here is an example {January 15,1969 ]
    http://climate.weatheroffice.gc.ca/c...Month=1&Day=15
    Surely , not everyone was Kung Fu fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    My mom still has it in her scrap book. I could not find it on the web. I will try to post a copy.
    that would be very cool (no pun intended) if you could post this. I would love a copy of that

Quote Originally Posted by amelanchier View Post
    I've still got mine in an album in the basement somewhere. My dad got them for the whole family. Yardley Jones did the art for it.
    I looked through the net and found a lot of Yardley Jones art, but no winter of 69 certificate. Can you post it

Default Resurrecting an old thread

I realise this thread is almost three years old but if anyone is still looking for a copy of this certificate I have a copy in jpeg format, printable at 8.5" x 11" file size is 1.57MB.

It's called "I WAS THERE" and the artwork was done by Edd Uluschak. A private message to me with an email address and a copy an be yours.

I may still have mine some where in my collection.

I've had a number of requests lately for the above certificate so I thought I would once again bring this thread to the top and make it easier to find.

If there is anyone else out there that would like a copy, same as above send me a private message with your email address and I'll send along a printable copy.

Try this one

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ertificate.jpg

To give you an idea the warmest it got between Jan 7th and Feb 1st was -6F or -21C
    Last edited by Edmonton PRT; 07-01-2014 at 11:17 AM.
    Advocating a better Edmonton through effective, efficient and economical transit.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmonton PRT View Post
    This is only a web sized image and won't print 8.5"x11"

If anyone wants a printable copy the offer still stands.

Steve
    Last edited by Steve_P; 07-01-2014 at 04:41 PM.

C2E Continued Contributor

For temperature readings in Celsius during the great cold snap of 1969, here's a link to the daily data from Environment Canada for Jan/Feb (click Next Month above or below the table to go to Feb) of 1969 from the weather station at Edmonton City Centre Airport*:

http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climate...Month=1&Day=01

*Of course, this was known as Edmonton Industrial Airport at the time - this was the source of the temperature readings shown on the certificate.
    Is there hope for Edmonton? Yes!!! The Oilers? Wait and see.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^December 1968 was also very cold especially around Christmas, but Edmonton still got a very brief January thaw that winter. The temperature reached 5.6C on January 4 a couple of days before Edmonton was plunged into the prolonged deep freeze.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Lest anyone think Calgarians were basking in warm Chinook breezes while Edmontonians suffered in bone chilling cold, not so.

Here are the comparative Calgary temperatures for the same month: http://climate.weather.gc.ca/climate...th=1&cmdB1=Go#

Surprisingly still getting requests for this certificate from my now five year old post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_P View Post
    I realise this thread is almost three years old but if anyone is still looking for a copy of this certificate I have a copy in jpeg format, printable at 8.5" x 11" file size is 1.57MB.

It's called "I WAS THERE" and the artwork was done by Edd Uluschak. A private message to me with an email address and a copy an be yours.