Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gone but not forgotten

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Corona Tavern
    Tavern at the Riviera

Always great bands 6 nights a week. What do we have now? DJs playing records. What a loss!
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

I'd rather C2E than work!

Anyone remember Electro T's in West Ed, or Mr. Sub on 102 street across from the Mountain equipment Co-op?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Partially Addicted to C2E

I remember johnny rockets being at west ed near the ice rink.. must have been around 2000-2001? maybe later?
    edmonton - madrid - edmonton
    @BrettSMcKenna

^ Whats in the johnny rockets location now? I haven't been to West Ed in about 3 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    ^ Whats in the johnny rockets location now? I haven't been to West Ed in about 3 years or so.

A Bose Electronic store
    I'm having people over later to stare at their phones,if you want to drop by

First One is Always Free

Default Does anyone remember......?

I used to live on the southside and was talking with my mom about the good old days in Edmonton. I have a memory of Kentucky Fried Chicken delivering buckets of chicken to our house, this would have been back in the the late 60's I guess. My brother and sister don't remember this, and I just wanted to see if anyone else remembers this delivery service.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Pretty sure they still did delivery in the 80's and even the early 90's.

C2E Long Term Contributor

KFC still delivers:
    http://www.kfc.ca/ordernow.aspx
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I know Chicken on the way used to deliver

4-2-6-five-oh-five-oh!
    If you're hungry,
    call the Lydo!
    Free delivery!

C2E Continued Contributor
    South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    4-2-6-five-oh-five-oh!
    If you're hungry,
    call the Lydo!
    Free delivery!
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by snark
    The Black Sheep Boutique was a trendy clothing store. I bought my High School Grad suit there - brown velvet with a ruffled shirt and a brown velvet bowtie - oh, and shoes that had four inch high soles with six inch high heels. Yikes!
    Hmm, no. I don't think that was the store I wandered into in Bonnie Doon Mall. This didn't seem like the kind of place where you'd pick up a grad suit. Thanks for the info, anyway.

Actually BS is more of a Jean joint ..It was at the end of the north side of the mall next to Safeway (when it was on the north side)

I remember I bought a pair of white disco jeans there...the one's with no pockets... BS was very trendy.
    Last edited by Brian W; 25-06-2012 at 06:18 PM.

I miss BUFFALO BILL'S the most.

My family would go there for all our Birthdays and hoped to get in the jail.
    Most of the time we got the theater.

My parents died about twenty years ago and everytime I watch a Spaghetti Western now I think back to Buffalo Bills.

Does anyone remember DOLLY DONUTS on Jasper?

Just looking back through this thread at some of the old TV ad jingles. Lydo, Chicken On The Way, etc. So wondering how long has that Westgate Chevrolet jingle been around? Seems forever - longer than the guy on the ad!

Jing-ga, jing-ga, jinggggg
    The legend of the Chevy Farm grew here in the west
    And people come from far and wide to put us to the test . . . diddle-um, da da
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

^ I'm guessing about as long as that blonde chick has been doing the City Ford ads, which about 25 years. The weird thing about the Chevy Farm is that Gord Gent hasn't aged during that time!
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by overoceans View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by snark
    The Black Sheep Boutique was a trendy clothing store. I bought my High School Grad suit there - brown velvet with a ruffled shirt and a brown velvet bowtie - oh, and shoes that had four inch high soles with six inch high heels. Yikes!
    Hmm, no. I don't think that was the store I wandered into in Bonnie Doon Mall. This didn't seem like the kind of place where you'd pick up a grad suit. Thanks for the info, anyway.

Actually BS more of a Jean joint ..It was at the end of the north side of the mall next to Safeway (when it was on the north side)

I remember I bought a pair of white disco jeans there...the one's with no pockets... BS was very trendy.
    Do not forget they used to have a store the the southside of Jasper Avenue sometime in the 70's between 104 and 106th streets. You can see it on a video of Jasper Ave posted on youtube. Also when Edmonton Centre opened they had a location on the second floor on the way to the pedway crossing 101st over to the old Eatons. I remember buying my one and only pair of black leather pants in 1981 there LOL. for a mind boggling $129 way back then...

Also don't forget when Bonnie Doon was still a very vibrant "regional" mall in Edmonton that did not have to compete against the huge amount of stores Edmonton is covered with now. It has slipped more to a neighbourhood centre these days as Southgate, Kingsway, Downtown and WEM are the dominant "fashion" centres in the city.

Here;s a real blast from the past. A picture from a live Chicken on the Way commercial. judging by the phone number starting with letters I'd say that this was early 50's.

http://edmontonbroadcasters.com/stat...ay-commercial/

I remember the Chicken on the Way TV ads from the 70s that had the dispatcher lady chase after the fat delivery guy who'd eat the food he's supposed to deliver.

isn't one of the original balck sheep owners now the king of car washes and cracked windsheilds (bubbles) in river city ?
    Oh, how much I miss the service at the Minit
    Still waiting for the Arlington site to be reborn .......

Here;s a real blast from the past. A picture from a live Chicken on the Way commercial. judging by the phone number starting with letters I'd say that this was early 50's.

http://edmontonbroadcasters.com/stat...ay-commercial/
    I'm going to guess late very late 50's since that van doesn't quite look that old and those phone numbers were that way until the early 60's since my dad worked for AGT his entire life.

Yeah, the more I thought of it the more I figured late 50's. I was born in 1960 and don't recall the phone numbers ever having letters. I remember our first house that we moved out of in 1967 had a 424 number so they must have changed before 1965 or so.

Yeah, the more I thought of it the more I figured late 50's. I was born in 1960 and don't recall the phone numbers ever having letters. I remember our first house that we moved out of in 1967 had a 424 number so they must have changed before 1965 or so.
    I believe the phone number thing was switched in the early early 60's ( I could be wrong) I do remember when mom and dad bought the house in the west end in 1965 the number (they still have it) was a seven digit number that took a while to get used to but then when they switch things like that they usually start in a single area and the expand over time.

Questions.

Is this grain elevator still standing? And if so, does it still have the Bible quote on it?

It vanished years ago since Ellerslie is now suburbia sprawling well past Ellerslie Road where it once stood. I cannot remember if it was just torn down or moved to some historical site such as Vegreville's Ukrainian Village.

Thanks. I was pretty sure it was gone, but I was surprised to see photos of it on the interent in 2012, so I thought maybe I was mistaken.

I think it would be nice if it had been saved. It's kinda tacky and hicksvillish, but a recognized part of the landscape at one time. I associate that elevator(or possibly another one like it) with coming back from holidays, which made the sight of it all the more stark and dreary.

C2E Continued Contributor
    South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

Quote Originally Posted by NielCole View Post
    It vanished years ago since Ellerslie is now suburbia sprawling well past Ellerslie Road where it once stood. I cannot remember if it was just torn down or moved to some historical site such as Vegreville's Ukrainian Village.
    It was unfortunately.
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I remember the Chicken on the Way TV ads from the 70s that had the dispatcher lady chase after the fat delivery guy who'd eat the food he's supposed to deliver.
    44 Chicken. Used to look to see if any of the trucks Chicken on the Way had on the road had the number 44. The unique thing was that the chicken was deep fried in the trucks when they arrived and then brought the order to your door.

Number 11 @ W EM owned by Messier.

Smile Lido Song

4-2-6-five-oh-five-oh!
    If you're hungry,
    call the Lydo!
    Free delivery!
    426-5050
    I won't feed that
    @#%^ to fido (ROTFL)
    Visit the outdoors at yagotta.ca!

Smile Rivera Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by 24karat View Post
    Corona Tavern
    Tavern at the Riviera

Always great bands 6 nights a week. What do we have now? DJs playing records. What a loss!
    Riv Rock Room....Late 70's

Lightbulb The Tower Suite

That's name of the great restaurant that used to be on the mezzanine level of the the CN Building.

Post Coffee House on 100A St.

There used to be a coffee house, north of the Beachcomer. Can't remember the name of it.

Post Great Facebook Groups

Alberta's Kids of the 60's, 70's and 80's
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/albertanostalgia/

I Lived In Jasper Place Before It Became Part of Edmonton
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/4025029695/?fref=ts

Eagle Hardware
    Beaver Lumber
    Target [ soon to be ]
    Mexx
    Prudhams

Quote Originally Posted by yagottabob View Post
    There used to be a coffee house, north of the Beachcomer. Can't remember the name of it.
    I remember The Beachcomer. It had a small bridge that arched over a koi pond. I also remember Chicken on the Way.

Quote Originally Posted by howie View Post
    Just looking back through this thread at some of the old TV ad jingles. Lydo, Chicken On The Way, etc. So wondering how long has that Westgate Chevrolet jingle been around? Seems forever - longer than the guy on the ad!

Jing-ga, jing-ga, jinggggg
    The legend of the Chevy Farm grew here in the west
    And people come from far and wide to put us to the test . . . diddle-um, da da
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    ^ I'm guessing about as long as that blonde chick has been doing the City Ford ads, which about 25 years. The weird thing about the Chevy Farm is that Gord Gent hasn't aged during that time!
    So here we are, four and a half years on and City Ford's blonde and Gord Gent are still cranking 'em out. That's it. They're both borgs, I'm convinced.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

^ Further to, anecdotally, a good friend of mine in a band in England who did a jingle for Smarties candy had the choice of being paid a lump sum or a per-play residual royalty. They chose the latter, the ad was in heavy rotation for seven years and they made a serious bundle of money.

Wonder what the blonde's and GG's royalty setup is. Also the jingle musos'.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123