Thread: Mass Murderers on Campus?

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Default Mass Murderers on Campus?

“Wow, for a second I thought that the University was going to try to get students who are collapsing under their workload help. But no, they are just treating all of their students as if they all were potential mass murderers…”

I found this online quote from “BiffMaGriff” amusing and so true!

There is a great deal of fear and ignorance surrounding mental health issues. Ask me - I know. And our very own University of Alberta recently announced (March 18, 2010) the following, as reported by CBC:

“Students and staff at the University of Alberta will soon be encouraged to report others who may have mental health issues and might pose a risk to campus safety… The information would be evaluated by a team which would assess the student and contact campus security if necessary. Psychological support will be offered to the student, hopefully within hours after the report is made.”

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/st...al-health.html

There is a tenet in the law that an individual is “innocent until proven guilty”. I presume this university “team” will be similar to a court of law, providing evidence, a lawyer for the hapless student, a prosecutor, and a jury? If everyone who was charged with an offence were guilty there would be no need for the justice system or defense lawyers.

And what of the “team” themselves and campus security? Does harassment ring a bell, or illegal confinement or slander or unlawful prosecution? I smell a lawsuit here (probably several) against the university and possibly the whistle blower who has a grudge against a fellow student…the Student Union very correctly observed that making this mandatory (as the University originally proposed) would “affect student relationships.” Well, yes. And freedom of speech? As an alumnus of the U of A (1975), I am very grateful that I attended at a time when compassion and understanding were more important than fear, ignorance, humiliation to a fellow who may evidence different beliefs and standards than oneself (it’s ‘my way or the highway’) and vindictiveness.

It has come to my attention that people on campus (and elsewhere) on occasion do not tell the truth, particularly where “relationships” are concerned. Are there professors and students on campus who are bipolar? Schizophrenic? Homosexual? Depressed? By all means, segregate and “treat” them! The abuse of human rights this action by my alma mater intimates is appalling. But wait - the article goes on to say that “While the program has not yet been approved by the board of governors, the university is already following the guidelines”.

What a place to get an education! I myself was treated with humanity and dignity in 1976 and afterward, when a mental health problem necessitated my withdrawal from a planned postgraduate program. I am so grateful that the present administration and their alarming proposals ordinarily are not followed by compassionate and intelligent administrations and individuals elsewhere.

George Orwell, anyone?

-- Kenna McKinnon

Yes, indeed, there is a great fear and especially ignorance surrounding mental health issues.
    The U of A is just exploiting that.
    Now if students vent hopefully they don't whip out the straight jackets.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

I'd rather C2E than work!

^ This is a guest column, not just another thread.
    Strathcona City Separatist

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Oooops.

Ever since 9/11 we have seen a shift in western thinking.

Civil Liberties are no longer important.

Privacy = You have something to hide.

We are in an information society where we willingly expose all our intimate details of our life. (Facebook, Twitter)

The general attitude is that everyone has a right to know everyone else business. After all if your not doing something bad / wrong / illegal, why do you care?

This is just another case of invasion of privacies under the guise of 'help'
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

I don't know if it's an invasion of privacy so much as it is a loss of trust. "Because one or two people have shot up schools elsewhere, we can no longer trust the other tens of thousands of you here who haven't not to do so."
    Strathcona City Separatist

“Students and staff at the University of Alberta will soon be encouraged to report others who may have mental health issues and might pose a risk to campus safety… The information would be evaluated by a team which would assess the student and contact campus security if necessary. Psychological support will be offered to the student, hopefully within hours after the report is made.”
    The university could have worded that statement better, as in omit the term "mental health issues".

Or just say report others who have insanely violent fantasies like wearing camouflage fatigues and pointing guns on YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Yes, indeed, there is a great fear and especially ignorance surrounding mental health issues.
    The U of A is just exploiting that.
    Now if students vent hopefully they don't whip out the straight jackets.
    I find it ironic that an institute of higher learning would be guilty of fear and ignorance of a health issue. Perhaps if they showed more humility they might be able to see things from other perspectives.

Addicted to C2E

I work at the U of A and nobody seems to be taking this seriously. I think the administrators kind of overreacted. There are free counselling services for both students and stuff on campus, hope ppl who need them would seek help without harming themselves or others.

Wow, this blows me away!! I wonder how many Admin people, have mental illness of some type in their own family? We cannot predict who will go "postal" Should anyone make threats of gun violence, yes they should be investigated and helped. This policy is terrible, in that it is discrimatory, sets mental health issues back to the middle-ages. I hope they re-think this policy. The U of A is obviously a world onto itself. Totally out of touch with reality themselves.

There must be a few hundred people (staff & student body) that suffer mild to severe depression. Now this is considered a mental health issue.
    Are they going to be keeping an eye on these people even though most depression sufferers improve with medication alone.
    For a institute that supports higher learning it seems they are not getting very far on this one.

In Guantanamo (Banned)

Quote Originally Posted by jellybean View Post
    Wow, this blows me away!! I wonder how many Admin people, have mental illness of some type in their own family? We cannot predict who will go "postal" Should anyone make threats of gun violence, yes they should be investigated and helped. This policy is terrible, in that it is discrimatory, sets mental health issues back to the middle-ages. I hope they re-think this policy. The U of A is obviously a world onto itself. Totally out of touch with reality themselves.
    Par for the course in Alberta I'm afraid. It's either ignore the issues altogether or completely over react.

I'm thinking of reporting Andy8244.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I'm thinking of reporting Andy8244.
    But will he go quietly?.

Not a mass murder but a potentially dangerous situation....

Evacuation order lifted at University of Alberta

No hydrogen sulphide found despite initial fears

....While the fire department made sure there were no harmful substances in the HUB building or the attached Rutherford Library, the University’s emergency notification system went into effect. University students and staff received e-mails and text messages telling them to stay clear of the area and, if they were in the HUB building, to simply stay where they were. The public address system was also used in the affected buildings to ask people to stay where they were.

The department’s air monitoring unit went into the HUB building apartment in question and found no measurable quantities of H2S gas anywhere. There was, however, a deceased person.

“There was a death that’s not of public interest,” said fire captain Don McGillis, who would not elaborate on how the person might have died, their gender or age.

EMS checked three people, but no one was taken to hospital.

The order was lifted at 12:17 p.m.
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...633/story.html

In Memoriam

The University of Alberta has a tradition of lowering the University of Alberta banner to half mast position as a sign of mourning at the death of a current undergraduate or graduate student, faculty or staff member, professor emeritus, serving member of the Board of Governors or University Senate. The banner remains at half-mast for two days.
    Requests to have the University banner lowered to the half-mast position can be made to the Academic Awards and Ceremonies Office at (780) 492-1875.
    The University banner flies above the Administration Building.
    The form to request that the banner be lowered can be found at:
    lowering banner form

The University Banner is presently at half mast in memory of:
    Mr Qin Zhao
    Undergraduate Student
    Department of Petroleum Engineering
    Faculty of Engineering
    April 13, 2010
    Comments on the Journal website indicate that this was a suicide. It's very sad, especially considering he'd seem to be someone the U would want reported.

http://registrar.ualberta.ca/ro.cfm?id=1100

I see the comments stopped on this thread as soon as someone posted a real world example. Everyone seemed to take offense to a responsible statement like this (as quoted from NoreneS above):

This basically says if someone is concerned for someone else's mental wellbeing, that there is somewhere they can go with people who can help that person, if need be. What is so "George Orwell" about that?

Yet no one thought it was offensive for the OP to say that homosexuals are like schizo's and should be segregated.

If you read more closely, you'll find that another thread was already started and exhausted on this topic. This is old news (no less important a topic, however), and if anyone in this community had interpreted the author's words as you did, the outrage would have been registered by now.

P.S. The author wasn't actually suggesting that homosexuals or any persons afflicted with the aforementioned mental illnesses should be segregated. This should be obvious when her next sentence starts with "the abuse of human rights..."
    P.P.S. Here's a definition of the word "schizo":

schizo [ˈskɪtsəʊ] Offensive

adj
    (Psychology) schizophrenic
    n pl -os (Psychology) a schizophrenic person

Your time taken to type the entire word out would be appreciated.
    "A doctor can bury his mistakes but an architect can only advise his clients to plant vines." - Frank Lloyd Wright

@JOA: Maybe you could point me to the 'exhausted' thread on this topic. If you read this thread more closely, and check out the short thread it links to, you may see why I posted on this one. Your right, it is an old thread, but as I just came to C2E and thought this was an important issue, I posted my support for the initiative taken by the UofA. I didn't realize there were time limits on responses. Maybe you could talk to the admins and have older threads closed if that's how you feel.

As for 'schizo', merriam-webster doesn't say it's offensive, but I have no problem typing it in full from now on. Please be diligent in continuing to address offensive words.

The thread you refer to is the same one I'm referring to. My comment was not meant to imply that the thread should have been be closed, that there were time limits on responses, or that you shouldn't reply for any other reason, but exactly what it said - "if anyone in this community had interpreted the author's words as you did, the outrage would have been registered by now."
    "A doctor can bury his mistakes but an architect can only advise his clients to plant vines." - Frank Lloyd Wright