Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 283435363738
Results 3,701 to 3,711 of 3711

Thread: "Must Try" Edmonton restaurants

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gwill211 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
    Haven't ever been to Characters, even though it's but two blocks away. The layout looks dated though, and looking at the menu - probably go to Normands instead anyway.
    hahaha oh man. Has normans been renovated once in the last 40 years??? That place is old and dated. I'm pretty sure the menu hadn't changed in 2 years between my visits there.

Characters was awesome and have enjoyed many date nights there but the last couple visits have seemed super mediocre there. Makes sense to see them sell.
    Part of the lure of classic restaurants is that the menu DOES NOT significantly change. A little bit less of nouveau cuisine and fusion crap is a blessing.

Similarly I wouldn't go to Continental Treat and expect all new menu.

btw got a laugh at this from the Characters Fine Dining website; ( I guess it doesn't apply anymore)

Bear in mind that brains & learning, like muscle & physical skills, are articles of commerce: You can hire them by the hour or by the year. The only thing in the world not for sale is Character.

Normand's.

Classic.

True story.

Many years ago Top_Dawg's ol' lady at the time dragged him out to a small dinner party there.

The kind Top_Dawg absolutely abhors.

Sit there for two hours + listening to two other couples desperately trying to convince Top_Dawg of how great, how wonderful, how interesting, how awesome, how sophisticated they are.

And of course some doofus at the neighboring table orders mussels.

They bring out his dish.

And the putrid stench stinks up the entire restaurant.
    Enough to make Top_Dawg retch.

Top_Dawg never went back.

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    i’m not sure why you sanctimoniously think it doesn’t apply anymore. they sold/closed a business named characters, they didn’t compromise or sell out their character in doing so (and didn’t sell the name). in the 20 years shon has operated the business, he has conducted himself and the business with good character when it comes to suppliers, staff and customers. sometimes you need to take a step back and give your character/persona a break (or give us a break from it ).

Really ?

Interesting take.

Top_Dawg has spoken to many former employees and none have had anything good to say.

The owner and his multi-millionaire father who continually subsidized the place to keep it afloat are both referred to by many in the industry as a couple of pompous, arrogant, supercilious, full of themselves cornholios.

Then again, Top_Dawg can clearly understand why you so cherish said qualities.

And accusing someone else of sanctimony.

Absolutely priceless.

Like Top_Dawg said.

He loves these little ironies.

Last edited by Top_Dawg; Yesterday at 04:50 PM.

Addicted to C2E
    Mr. Reality Check

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

really? you hardly know me outside of my name and i don't even know that about you.

Absolutely priceless.
    i can accept that.

Like Top_Dawg said.

i'm not sure you'd recognize irony if it was swimming in your dish but then again i don't even know you outside of the third party drivel you post.
    "If you did not want much, there was plenty." Harper Lee

Deleted

Best that I just bite my tongue.
    Last edited by KC; Yesterday at 08:45 PM.

Nothing really special about it, but love taking out-of-town guests to La Ronde in the Chateau Lacombe for Sunday brunch.

Fare is good, not great. Service though is usually great.

But it's truly priceless when they go to the biffy and you just know they'll get hopelessly lost trying to get back ....
    ... gobsmacked

Quote Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

really? you hardly know me outside of my name and i don't even know that about you.

Absolutely priceless.
    i can accept that.

Like Top_Dawg said.

i'm not sure you'd recognize irony if it was swimming in your dish but then again i don't even know you outside of the third party drivel you post.

But Ken, this didn't stop you of accusing me of sanctimony when I was obviously making a pun. You don't know me either. You claim to know what I am like in a lot of your responses. You condescended to Dawg as well. In the exchange he was defending me from your unsolicited latest barbs. Which I like to think are playful attempts but cross into range where its your comments that should be called out.

You did accept that part though so that is understood.
    Last edited by Replacement; Today at 12:17 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

As per Normands I just go to the Citadel location. Don't like the one on Jasper which feels cramped and stuffy. At Citadel its a nice open space. They don't serve the smellier mussels as it would go wafting through the whole theatre. Its a pretty open air restaurant space, its not really enclosed at all.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

^Dad and his son-in-law's Dad, in their 70's or so - and having lived a long life of meat eating ...

pronounced steak at Normands the best they'd ever had. (and steak and potatoes were their mainstay and both were country boys)

And, I'm talking cow-steak, not the wild meat they offer.

BTW, I have no shares or financial interest in the place - nor have been there for several years.

But, for a place just west of a gasoline station - pretty effin amazing for me.

Oh, and family here for XMAS, not open XMAS Eve, but recommended another pretty great place, with a perfectly sized private dining room with a view of the Ledge XMAS lights.

That'd be the sadly departed Copper Plate. Damn.
    ... gobsmacked

I'm not a big-$$$ spender for Fine dining, but when I am, my prime pick is LaRonde, because 1) it's Fine Dining enough for me, and 2) THE VIEW. I've spent $$$ in places like Hardware Grill and other FD places, but great as the food is it's generally served within nice walls, perhaps with a view if one is near a window and there's a view worth having. But for me the best FD bang for my intermittent bucks for it is a room where every seat has a view and the view is always great (except for the Edmonton House bit).
    I am in no way entitled to your opinion...

^ Said extremely well!
    ... gobsmacked

Laronde is a decent selection but a bit overpriced. Plus its a revolving view of Edmonton.

Whenever we go to Vancouver we go to the Top of Vancouver Or Cloud nine revolving restaurant at least one. Spectacular view, more affordable prices, and the windows are downward and so you can lean out and look straight down from your seat. A spectacular experience, Laronde is a pale imitation of it.

ps Just noted that Cloud nine in Vancouver is sadly closed. we had wonderful experiences in there.
    Last edited by Replacement; Today at 03:50 PM.

Pricey yes, but I don't mind. Doesn't go in circles, but if we're talking other cities, Smith Tower Bar in Seattle rocks all. https://www.smithtower.com/observatory-and-bar.php

But, I love that La Ronde has an almost unprecedented view of the NSR valley and despite avoiding it for years thinking taller buildings ruined the view - went back ...

And discovered no - view is actually even better. (Well, yes, except Edm. House).
    ... gobsmacked

Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 283435363738