Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 253132333435
Results 3,401 to 3,427 of 3427

Thread: "Must Try" Edmonton restaurants

C2E Long Term Contributor

^ There's also a Red Robin near downtown at 104 Ave & 112 St if that's not too far for you.

I tried Fatburger at City Centre Mall a few years ago. It was OK, and I've meant to give it another try. However, if I'm going to have a burger at that particular location then I'd sooner head across to A&W.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Fatburger is pretty bad. Five Guys is way better. I've heard that South St Burger is above Fatburger. And if you're downtown, wouldn't Burger Priest or whatever be a better choice?
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Bar Clementine tonight - incredible service and my how I love the feel in there.

Crispy Potato, Canola, Pickled Potato

Sourdough Rye Pancake, Jambon de Paris, Fromage Blanc, Hay Smoked Clover Honey, Sambal, Swiss Chard

Pork Rillons, Lentils, Roasted Shallot, Orin Apple, Basil

Jacek Columbian Chocolate, Green Chartreuse, Daquise, Matcha Meringue, Plum
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I'd rather C2E than work!

Eau de toilette......lol

Finally tried Sequel Cafe for lunch today. Red lentil soup was good, black forest ham sammich was alright as was the homemade iced tea. The place was busy, which was nice to see given its relatively obscure presence on an almost empty Edmonton winter street. Personally I wouldn't say this is a place I would go out of my way for, but it's another decent lunch option for that area of downtown.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Always a goto for me. Solid fare, good prices, amazing owners/staff.

*cash only
    www.decl.org

Cash only places can take a hike. Tokiwa Ramen at Brewery District is a nightmare. It's only open for about 43 minutes randomly each day. Cash only. Forget that noise.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I am fine with them SO LONG as they make it very clear.
    www.decl.org

Unless they're waiting to get electronic payment going, cash-only sounds like there's some money-hiding/laundering going on.
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Unless they're waiting to get electronic payment going, cash-only sounds like there's some money-hiding/laundering going on.
    Not necessarily. The bank fees, terminal rental fees, etc ... can be quite onerous for a small business in a tight margin business. The customer does not see any of these, but the business owner sure sees them. Even other non bank payment options such as Paypal, Square, etc.. charge a similar percentage, that is how they stay in business. Small businesses do not get anything like the preferred rates that credit card companies give to large companies like Walmart.

Personally, I don't go to places that do not take cash as I do not want banks and credit card companies tracking my spending too much and I use my debit and credit cards only with merchants I know and trust. Most of us can handle cash, its really not that difficult - there are ATM machines all over the city.

If food-truck and farmers market vendors and hole-in-the-wall convenience stores can take electronic payments that makes those who won't/can't/don't seem suspicious these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Cumberland View Post
    Wife and I went to Fatburger (Namao Centre) only once. I wasn't overly impressed, and wife said her veggie burger was extremely salty. I didn't notice the salt, but I like my food saltier than most people.

We both like Red Robin, too bad we have to go all the way out to the west end or to Clareview for it.
    Thanks for the reply. Apologies for being late with this. I'm wondering if the added salt is a preservative of some kind or do they add it in? Could I just say hold the salt please?

Speaking about Red Robin, we live almost across the street. They have the best fries in the city.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

If food-truck and farmers market vendors and hole-in-the-wall convenience stores can take electronic payments that makes those who won't/can't/don't seem suspicious these days.
    Suspicious to some I suppose, but last time I checked, cash is legal and has been for a long time.

Some people are comfortable with handling and dealing with cash, some are not and the costs of other forms of payment are a consideration for some businesses.

I wouldn't automatically assume or imply that a cash based business was doing anything illegal.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cumberland View Post
    Wife and I went to Fatburger (Namao Centre) only once. I wasn't overly impressed, and wife said her veggie burger was extremely salty. I didn't notice the salt, but I like my food saltier than most people.

We both like Red Robin, too bad we have to go all the way out to the west end or to Clareview for it.
    Thanks for the reply. Apologies for being late with this. I'm wondering if the added salt is a preservative of some kind or do they add it in? Could I just say hold the salt please?

Speaking about Red Robin, we live almost across the street. They have the best fries in the city.
    They did great lamb burgers, I love their fries as well. Other than that, RR is just okay...

^^Those costs seem to be a concern for only a very few businesses anymore.

^ ^ Have you tried a red Robin specialty burger? Delish!

The Royal or nothing!
    www.decl.org

^ The Royal?

^From the 1970's. I like Fried egg on burgers as well (traditionally in NZ with beet and coleslaw as well).

https://www.redrobin.com/company/about-us/history.html

I've seen fries in a burger, I know about that but the fried egg, need to try that out.

Something I can try out. I just had a Wendy's double baconaitor combo Tuesday

Hawkeyes never disappoints.

www.twitter.com/ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Not necessarily. The bank fees, terminal rental fees, etc ... can be quite onerous for a small business in a tight margin business. The customer does not see any of these, but the business owner sure sees them. Even other non bank payment options such as Paypal, Square, etc.. charge a similar percentage, that is how they stay in business. Small businesses do not get anything like the preferred rates that credit card companies give to large companies like Walmart.

Personally, I don't go to places that do not take cash as I do not want banks and credit card companies tracking my spending too much and I use my debit and credit cards only with merchants I know and trust. Most of us can handle cash, its really not that difficult - there are ATM machines all over the city.
    I know and understand the reasons behind why a company might want to avoid a particular form of payment. I tend to carry around a bit of cash, although I'm finding I need to replenish that less and less often. But personally, I'd almost make a point of not patronizing a retail business that is cash only. It's their choice to accept payment in whatever form they prefer, but in my mind it's basically a middle finger to their clientele whether they intend it to be or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave
    I wouldn't automatically assume or imply that a cash based business was doing anything illegal.

Depends on the business. Apparently the vast majority of the home construction and renovation industry in Quebec operates on a cash only basis. Some family friends own a cabin outside of Ottawa, and have difficulty finding trades to do any work on their place because they refuse to pay cash, knowing full well that the contractors are dodging taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post

I know and understand the reasons behind why a company might want to avoid a particular form of payment. I tend to carry around a bit of cash, although I'm finding I need to replenish that less and less often. But personally, I'd almost make a point of not patronizing a retail business that is cash only. It's their choice to accept payment in whatever form they prefer, but in my mind it's basically a middle finger to their clientele whether they intend it to be or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave

Depends on the business. Apparently the vast majority of the home construction and renovation industry in Quebec operates on a cash only basis. Some family friends own a cabin outside of Ottawa, and have difficulty finding trades to do any work on their place because they refuse to pay cash, knowing full well that the contractors are dodging taxes.
    Yes, it depends on the business and perhaps the province too, HST is much higher in Quebec than GST here. A low transaction volume, higher margin business like home construction should be able to handle debit/credit card fees, so I would wonder more about that. A very small retail outlet or restaurant with tight margins may decide that is a big cost for them they could do without, especially if they are not part of a national chain or franchise where they would be required to have to have those things.

Checked out Fat Albert's Pizza and Donair just next to Mike's Bikes on Whyte ave. They took a long time opening and it is quite the place inside. Solid donair though - good sauce, some might complain about the meat to pita ratio but I liked it. Pizza looked really good. Owner Albert seems like a super nice guy. I'll definitely be back.

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    Checked out Fat Albert's Pizza and Donair just next to Mike's Bikes on Whyte ave. They took a long time opening and it is quite the place inside. Solid donair though - good sauce, some might complain about the meat to pita ratio but I liked it. Pizza looked really good. Owner Albert seems like a super nice guy. I'll definitely be back.
    I pass by there every day during the summer. It was always closed so I figured it was a money laundering front.

I will try it out now since it's been open for 2 weeks now.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

How does another donair joint manage to open up on Whyte Ave with hopes of succeeding? Are there any places other than Chicago Deep Dish still serving pizza by the slice left on the Avenue?

To be clear, Fat Albert's is not in Old Strathcona. It's east of Mill Creek near La Cite Francophone and Bonnie Doon, in the same strip mall as the Brick & Whiskey pub. And before anyone asks, doesn't look like it's the same as the Fat Albert's from Ottawa.

Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 253132333435