Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 243031323334
Results 3,301 to 3,362 of 3362

Thread: "Must Try" Edmonton restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    A delicious Chinook Salmon at The Common for lunch today.

With light crème fraîche,watercress & scalloped potatoes
    gluten free
    Did they drop their prices? Virtually all large fare $15 is really good.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E Long Term Contributor

$16 - good value.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Love early morning meetings on a Monday at the Commodore.

www.twitter.com/ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Holy fuq.

Talk about slummin' it.

Have they renovated the shitter yet, or is it still something you would see and smell at the end of the hall in a crackhead flophouse ?

$16 - good value.
    Hit it up on the weekend. That was lunch menu. Of course the dinner menu is different, and the items that are the same are $3-5 more for the same plate. That annoys me. At any rate, food was fantastic. Definitely need to keep this one higher on the list.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

Holy fuq.

Talk about slummin' it.

Have they renovated the shitter yet, or is it still something you would see and smell at the end of the hall in a crackhead flophouse ?

The whole place looks like the shitter. I walked in there once, and walked right out. Is that Campbells soup above the cooler? Whats the soup of the day? We have 6 soups...no soup for you..

Interestingly in the picture the place is empty except for the owner. A rather natural state of being I suspect.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Went for the first time a couple weeks ago. Not many sit-down options if you need a 7 am breakfast these days. Two breakfasts and a coffee was about $16. Nothing amazing, but it's not attempting to be anything other than what it is. Definitely had a musty smell, though.

You can do like Top_Dawg when he's working in the west end and go to the New West Hotel.

Then you'd be stylin' like Shugga Bear.

Speaking of diners, I heard the Red Goose has new owners.

You can do like Top_Dawg when he's working in the west end and go to the New West Hotel.

Trying to remember. Was the bar in there called Ray's once upon a time?

No way.

Top_Dawg thought the husband and wife would die there.

Quote Originally Posted by Cumberland View Post

Trying to remember. Was the bar in there called Ray's once upon a time?

Top_Dawg always knew it as the New West Hotel Tavern.

Then again, it's not as if Top_Dawg drinks in these shitholes.

Only top shelf for the Top_Dawg.

Journal article says Wildflower has a new chef. Not sure if the menu on the website is the new menu. If it is, price is still the prohibitive factor. Not sure if the last chef was the same one from when it opened, but I won't miss him. Dude was like 5 feet tall with a 7 foot tall ego shadowed by a 9 foot tall smarmy attitude.

I don't always order mini-burgers, but when I do, it is at Red Star.

www.twitter.com/ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

http://thebutternuttree.ca tonight for a tasting menu.

Beautiful space, excellent service, gorgeous presentation.

Amuse bouche.
    Crab tart - unique, but the crab needed something, overpowered by the rye tart
    Bannock medley - quite tasty
    Rockfish in broth - very nice
    Bison duo - highlight of the night
    Cheery ice cream - beautifully light with nice texture

www.twitter.com/ianoyeg
    Last edited by IanO; 21-09-2017 at 11:49 PM.
    www.decl.org

Amuse bouche.

What a stupid term.

Amuse bouche ceci.

* Top_Dawg points to lower abdomen *

That place intrigues me but the pictures of the space seem like it lacks ambiance and $40 plates are a recipe for buyers remorse, especially when there's amazing food for $20 in this city.

At least theres attempts at plate presentation in this one. IanO's usual photos of food look like menu abortions.

One thing you'll NEVER hear me state;

"I'll have the Amuse bouche"

Nor do I want any of you to mouth amuse me...

(look up amuse bouche)

"The douche will have the Amuse bouche, tres bien merci"
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

enRoute magazine (the AC inflight mag) released their 10 best new restos in Canada. Three of them are in Edmonton.
    1. Battuto, Quebec City

2. Canis, Toronto

3. Bar Von Der Fels, Calgary

4. Mak N Ming, Vancouver

5. Clementine, Edmonton

6. Cafe Linnea, Edmonton

7. Riviera, Ottawa

8. Brothers Food & Wine, Toronto

9. Marconi, Montreal

10. Alder Room, Edmonton

"But in the top 10, enRoute notes, Edmonton was this year’s surprise, with three best new restaurants on the list.

“Edmonton felt like a different city than the one I’d visited on my four previous tours, and the new hockey arena is a game-changer,” Braithwaite said in a statement. “The cocktail scene has always been strong, and there’s clearly a passion for creating art on the plate, too.”

enRoute is a Montreal-based mag.

It's a bit of a weird comment. What relevance does Rogers Place have to Edmonton's foodie scene, other than that it has caught up to other major cities? It seems to reinforce this countrywide notion that this city lives and dies entirely on Oilers because it is the only thing going for it (as per that comment from the National Post hack from Calgary a couple of weeks ago).
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    It's a bit of a weird comment. What relevance does Rogers Place have to Edmonton's foodie scene, other than that it has caught up to other major cities? It seems to reinforce this countrywide notion that this city lives and dies entirely on Oilers because it is the only thing going for it (as per that comment from the National Post hack from Calgary a couple of weeks ago).
    All three of their Edmonton pics would be called downtown. No one can argue that the arena has led to a resurgence (or emergence) of our downtown. The magazine is very urban. It'd be rare to find their best of restos not in the heart of a city. The arena and development around it are certainly worthy of mention as to reasons why we have so many great new places opening up, most right in the core.

I think they are (correctly) suggesting that, in part, Rogers has helped elevate the perception of Edmonton, and what it's capable of, to both residents and visitors alike. If we can have Rogers, we can have incredibly good, eclectic food. Edmonton is allowed to be glamorous now. We weren't during the Bill Smith era, and mothballs like Dorward had every intention of positioning Edmonton as a million-person UFA where we could drive our tractors to the chickfeed outlet on Jasper Ave.

^Hah. That's a great summation of David "No Fancy Dancy Stuff" Dorward.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

OK fair enough, guys. But I think the local foodie scene was evolving for the better long before the new arena became a thing.
    I remember about 20 years ago when VUE (or SEE?) readers voted Olive Garden the best Italian restaurant.
    Trust me, we've come a long way since then!
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

It definitely has. I think the swing started around 2006-7. But it really didn't get going strong until just a few years ago. Globally, industry feels cooking channels and fun reality shows like Master Chef have done wonders for getting casual diners more interested in quality food.

Has anyone tried Cartago in Forest Heights yet? Whenever we drive by, it seems reasonably busy, and the space looks nice.

Have not been as of yet, but only heard good things.
    www.decl.org

I'd rather C2E than work!

It's a great spot. Food is good. Portion size is good. Drinks, both in quality and selection are good.
    Only problem, they were out of straddle when I went, I literally watched the last serving go to another table. That and the black forest cake is no longer served but was on the menu.
    How dare they taunt me like that.

Straddle.

What a mook.

Straddle.

What a mook.
    Strudel...

Damn autocorrect. heh.

As per above enroute article its hard to argue Café Linnea or Alder owe anything to the Arena development or that this changed anything in view of these establishments. Café Linnea is not exactly new, or in the DT or area. Alder just opened up not long ago.
    The other establishment that warranted mention is the also new Clementine which is not in the arena area either.

I don't if its just lazy thought that equates Arena plus Edmonton is so different as the DT restaurant scene had been changing long ago, and long before the DT arena. Which the enroute publication would know as they're reported a lot on the prior openings over the last couple decades.
    Last edited by Replacement; 24-10-2017 at 07:29 AM.

Straddle? Hey Hey, that's a new twist on table 'service'.
    Nisi Dominus Frustra

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    It definitely has. I think the swing started around 2006-7. But it really didn't get going strong until just a few years ago. Globally, industry feels cooking channels and fun reality shows like Master Chef have done wonders for getting casual diners more interested in quality food.
    Agree that the food scene was on the upswing before the arena, having it downtown though has brought people that would not venture downtown into the core and that helps keep some of these going. Another issue that has helped the food scene is the return of young chefs that were trained here or grew up here and are finding a place where they can grow. I have heard though that some of these restaurant are finding it increasingly tough to find quality staff. And with 4 more restaurants opening in the past month or so the pool gets smaller. Still a number of new places I have yet to get to besides going back to some others as well as trying out some that have been around a while but I have not gotten to.

I think the point the writer was trying to make is Edmonton feels different now.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    Has anyone tried Cartago in Forest Heights yet? Whenever we drive by, it seems reasonably busy, and the space looks nice.
    Is this place in what used to be Hilltop Pub? Before that it was Postal Station J.
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by BalancedOP View Post
    have heard though that some of these restaurant are finding it increasingly tough to find quality staff. And with 4 more restaurants opening in the past month or so the pool gets smaller
    Most of my clients in all kinds of industries can't find staff. I have one that's offering DOUBLE the standard rate for a plumber and can't find one, and they're a respectable, established business. They get applications, but the applicants are brutally unemployable losers.

Postal Station.

You've got to be an old fart if you remember that Spuds.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BalancedOP View Post
    have heard though that some of these restaurant are finding it increasingly tough to find quality staff. And with 4 more restaurants opening in the past month or so the pool gets smaller
    Most of my clients in all kinds of industries can't find staff. I have one that's offering DOUBLE the standard rate for a plumber and can't find one, and they're a respectable, established business. They get applications, but the applicants are brutally unemployable losers.
    Things have tightened up in construction, but not that much. There's still tons of plumbers looking for work, and I certainly haven't found it too challenging finding candidates, although we've almost entirely been hiring apprentices that past while. But we've had lots of journeymen resumes we've had to pass on, as we've been too top heavy. Yes, there's some sorting through of industrial tradesmen resumes as well, but there's good candidates out there.

Postal Station.

You've got to be an old fart if you remember that Spuds.
    -ish - I had two different offices that looked onto it. The wavy roof made it quite noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    Is this place in what used to be Hilltop Pub? Before that it was Postal Station J.
    Nah, it's in this building.

^ah, ok. thanks!

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Because sadly that's exactly what this city is... no matter what else is going on in the outside world, all anyone can talk about is Oilers.

^Not really an isolated problem or perspective. Isn't Pittsburgh just known as "Steeltown" due to the associated industry and the Steelers? How is that different or an essential problem. I think more the case its evidence that New World Cities and countries are largely generic and that they lack anything other than superficial identity to those that don't reside there.

The biggest question is why people care so much about what others think about where they chose to live. Its something I can never comprehend. My ego is not so entirely limited that I need people who I never meet to think kindly about the place in which I live.

Nor is the offstated notion that people don't come here because of perceptions at all accurate. Edmonton is one of the fastest growing cities in NA. We also have 22% international students attending U of A. Clearly people are picking Edmonton to work, live, learn, or play.

We're still stuck in this notion that we need to be better to attract people as if we're some sleepy backwater. I live in Southeast. Theres a nonstop boom here in development that is seemingly endless.

This being way OT to the thread but a comment that we should hear more of on this C2E board.
    Last edited by Replacement; 28-10-2017 at 11:05 AM.

Next, and I've always stated this is trendies put far too much importance on seen and be seen notions in life. What a cities highbrow food options are is largely irrelevant to quality of life. It just doesn't matter so much. Its trivial. So that I can't stop from laughing each time theres supposed to be some civic pride attached because Edmonton got mentioned in some magazine or something. The typical resident doesn't care about such things. Maybe in urban dweller DT world perceptions are different.

But the thought that Edmonton NEEDS to be much more attractive is largely ignoring that Edmonton, in any statistical sense, IS attractive, or at least attracting.

To wit;

Edmonton is attracting migrants is meaningful, its true, its objective reality.

Edmonton is attractive is subjective, and meaningless fundamentally.

But initiatives spend so much time worrying about the latter instead of the former.

I must have pragmatic bias...
    Last edited by Replacement; 28-10-2017 at 11:04 AM.

No, that's a good post. Thanks Replacement. I can sum it up.

I love Edmonton.
    Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

Bundok tonight. Refreshingly unique, very tasty.

Apple, honey, oka tartine
    sea bream crudo, cilantro, citrus, chilli, olive oil
    broccoli, runny egg
    roasted pork ribs, black vinegar glazed, toasted amaranth
    lamb schnitzel, fennel, cucumber, sumac, yogurt

Dessert was a hazelnut chocolate cake with dulche de leche and a creamy, fresh, light name that escapes me.

www.twitter.com/ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

Tartine ?

Ooh-la-la !

Best thing about Bundok (definitely my favourite of the independent, higher-end, downtown digs) - the service. Unpretentious, casual service. Apparently happy to have you choose their restaurant as the place to spend your money unlike say Bar Bricco where the slogan is "be happy we deign to exist for you slobs".

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

haha, yeah, the one time I went to Bar Bricco they really did make you feel like you should be grateful for the opportunity to eat there. The food was great and so was the service overall, but their demeanor is very cold and pretentious. I've found that at Woodwork as well.

IanO you have got to be the best fed person in this town. Amazing you're not fat ! lol

Well... it is somewhat part of the job, but also part of my lifestyle. Once a week beer league hockey does wonders.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    haha, yeah, the one time I went to Bar Bricco they really did make you feel like you should be grateful for the opportunity to eat there. The food was great and so was the service overall, but their demeanor is very cold and pretentious. I've found that at Woodwork as well.

Had the same feeling as well. Have friends that rave about it constantly but when we went we were underwhelmed.

Cibo Bistro is my go to Downtown Italian Rest . Bundock is definitely a must go to. Workshop on the south side is a good go to place and when you want to get out of town. Chartier in Beaumont and Privada in St Albert. As for other places in Edmonton, I am working on Alberta Ave. some pretty interesting places to hit up.

I revisited Woodwork about a year ago and it was the same crappy experience I had when it first opened. Like Mercer, it's on the "maybe only for drinks" list now. I'll never eat there. I found Bundok a bit pricey and the portions a bit small, and I'm not a big eater. Food was good but I didn't feel like it was good value overall, as far as upscale places go.

I like the food and atmosphere at Bundock. Only issue was the waiter trying to upsell me to the most expensive item on the menu - short-term turn off. Otherwise very good.

Downscale, love my Poke Ono.
    ... gobsmacked

Poke Ono is awesome. Still waiting for them to get an environmentally friendly container though. They said they're working on it.

Woodwork two nights ago with some folks from Calgary, everyone loved their food and cocktails.

This honey/chili glazed chop was absolutely delicious. I highly recommend the Washington State Cab we had as well. Wow.

www.decl.org

I highly recommend the Washington State Cab we had as well. Wow.

How the once mighty have fallen.

Now guzzlin' hog pi$$ from Washington State.

And likin' it.

You're really slippin' boi.

Says the guy.
    www.decl.org

Have to be careful about those north-of-sonoma cabs. Check to see if they have sulfites as an additive. Many from Washington and Oregon states sadly do.
    ... gobsmacked

Revisited Rostizado on the weekend, first time in well over a year, maybe two. Outstanding. If you go, get the queso verde.

Was it super busy like before ?

Or has it calmed down a bit ?

Seemed super busy. When we left the house there was zero wait time. When we parked downtown and I checked the app they had a 108 minute wait, so we had a pint at Mercer while waiting. Was about 45 minutes with 8 parties ahead of us. Santa parade finished as we were driving so that was likely the reason it filled up so fast in only 20 minutes.

Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 243031323334