Page 1 of 34 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: "Must Try" Edmonton restaurants

Default "Must Try" Edmonton restaurants

I've wanted to do a list like this for a while. I've finally gotten around to it. For each entry I would love to have the following: Name, short description, must try items, location.

Sankyu - Fusion Japanse/European food. Their dinner for two is a must try. 15041 Stony Plain Road NW

Tau Bay - Vietnamese Pho. Item number 1 has everything that all of the other noodles have seperately.. get this. 11302 107 Ave NW

Yokozuna - Straight authentic Japanese food (The one linked to here is the best one; Japanese Sushi Chef). Beef Tataki is the must try item here. 4121 106 Street NW

Spicy Garden - Real () Chinese food - Family Owned and operated. The snacks all taste good.. but the Green Onion Cake and Baked Seafood rice stand out. 9700 105 Ave NW

Packrat Louie - I am not really sure what to call it.. Southern food (someone correct me please )? Whatever it is, it's good. Pretty much everything is good, but I think their small menu changes. I'm sure someone here has more information on this. 10335 83 Avenue NW

Von's - Good old Steakhouse - The best Prime Rib I have tasted in this city so far. Prime Rib Tuesdays (2 for 1) is a great time to try it out! 10309 81 Avenue NW

Ban Thai - Thai Food - Another family owned and operated restaurant. The best Pad Thai and Curries around. 15726 100 Avenue NW

Dallas Pizza - Every town needs a few good Pizza places - Some pretty creative pizzas here. Thick crust and made from real ingredients. 7834 106 Avenue NW

Tasty Tomato - a "Great little Italian place" that you can take a date to - the Linguine Vongole is one of my favorites. 14233 Stony Plain Road NW

Green's - Bubble Tea, Coffee and snacks - owned and operated by a family from Taiwan (the home of Bubble Tea) - All of their Green tea drinks are excellent and the snacks are all pretty good (trust me they taste better than they sound). 5926 104 St NW in the same strip mall as Tropika.

Man, so many places I need to try... I think i'm gonna eat well for the next little bit .

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Golden Rice Bowl It might not be in the most atractive area, but it is as tasty as I've ever had. Gateway blvd

I'd rather C2E than work!

Three Bananas Cafe - Italian style restaurant right in Churchill Square. Their pizzas are some of the best in the city and remind me of my summers in Italy. If only they had a quattro fromaggio pizza

The Silk Hat - Jasper Ave. and 103rd Street. This is a slightly run down, greasy-spoon type diner, but I love it and I think it adds so much flavour and character to the urban fabric of downtown. The food is absolutely amazing, especially their Monte Cristo sandwich. The best thing is that the atmosphere isn't stiffling since the smoking ban passed.
    LA today, Athens tomorrow. I miss E-town.

Koutuki Taverna on 124th St. Excellent greek food - when me and my fiancee there we had a good time and saw other people celebrating by smashing plates on the ground.
    You can also catch a show about this restaurant on the Food Network, I think the show is called "Family Restaurant".

Quote Originally Posted by MylesC
    Three Bananas Cafe - Italian style restaurant right in Churchill Square. Their pizzas are some of the best in the city and remind me of my summers in Italy. If only they had a quattro fromaggio pizza

The Silk Hat - Jasper Ave. and 103rd Street. This is a slightly run down, greasy-spoon type diner, but I love it and I think it adds so much flavour and character to the urban fabric of downtown. The food is absolutely amazing, especially their Monte Cristo sandwich. The best thing is that the atmosphere isn't stiffling since the smoking ban passed.
    Cool! I didn't realize TBC serves stuff like pizza. I'm looking forward to checking that out on a warm summer evening.

I keep meaning to check out the Silk Hat. I just havn't got around to it yet.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Sankyu RULES!!!!

Pico Lino on 142 and ~91 avenue (near the IGA) is an AWESOME out of the way Italian spot.
    Onward and upward

Thanh-Thanh Restaurant — Oriental Noodle House, 10718 101 St. is always a special place, great food at reasonable prices, the portions are huge and the menu extensive. At this unique Vietnamese restaurant try the Imperial rolls and the Satay soup (beef, chicken or shrimp). Keep going back. Try the Curried Chicken, anything over noodles...

Kids in the Hall in City Hall. Great food, great initiative (provides jobs to marginalized youth) and low prices.

Try a hamburger (big and tasty) or try a Monte Cristo. Try anything and try to be patient. Service is genuine and earnest but sometimes can be a little “confused”.

Sceppas Trattoria 10923 101 ST. Trattoria means casual, comfy and cheap. The Spaghetti Carbonara is a cardiologists nightmare and a food lovers dream orgasm.

Normands Jasper Avenue. My favourite resturant in the city. Everything I've tried is fantastic. They have a lot of differnet food for the adventurous -Caribou - Elk -Musk Ox. They also have great food for the not so adventurous. Also, the owner makes you feel like you are a very welocme guest in his house.

Partially Addicted to C2E

Gabbana11223 Jasper Avenue
    The food here is awesome! I've never once had a bad meal here. The dishes are creative, healthy and extremely well priced. I would describe the food as Thai fusion.
    The ambience inside is also great and the staff are always friendly.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Red Ox - top of connors hill area, amazing

blue plate dinner - 104st north of jasper

free press bistro - 104st south of jasper in the holiday inn - best pannini's

manor cafe - 125st 101ave - amazing

bul go gi- finding it is half the fun, near faculty st.jean....amazing korean

C2E Continued Contributor

Red Ox Inn is the best place in town for a classy romantic dinner, it never fails to impress!

Red Ox...ahh I never go because it just isn't a night out when its a block from my place. I really need to go though.

I know Ric's is franchised, but the try the one Downtown, it has a great atmosphere in the Old Metals Bldg. (104 st and 102 ave.)

Lazia, Main Floor ECC West :I really enjoyed this for a nice meal.

Character's 105 st and 103 ave: for an excellent evening, make sure to have 2-3 hours.

Il Porticcio 125 st & 100 ave: Best rack of lamb I have ever had, and the Tiramisu is oh so good. Maybe the best Italian...maybe.

Jack's Grill 111 st and 60ish ave: A staple of Edmonton, amazing steak.

There is a family owned Thai place...the name eludes me, but its on 106 st and 99th or 100th ave in the bottom of an office building. Its so good if you love your food spicy...and you're eating Thai so you should!

Bua Thai (113 St and Jasper Ave)
    Across from St Joseph's Bacilica is this small, hidden gem. Probably the best Thai in the city.

Harvest Room (Hotel MacDonald, 100 St and Jasper Ave)
    Undeniably the best brunch in the city, which requires booking 2 weeks in advance.

New Asian Village (Saskatchewan Drive and ~ 101 St)
    Excellent view of the river valley and the city skyline, understated but exotic atmosphere, excellent food. Still regarded as one of the best Indian restaurants in town, and there's plenty of good ones here. There's a new second location somewhere in the big-box hellhole west of 170 St between Stony Plain Road and 100 Ave.

Kyoto (two locations along 109 St: at Jasper Ave and at 87 Ave)
    Sushi that is delicious and reasonably priced. The downtown one gets very busy at lunch so book ahead.

Langano Skies (Whyte Ave and 99 St)
    A good place to try Ethiopian cuisine. Wash your hands because you'll be eating with your fingers!

Szechuan Cuisine (Stony Plain Road and 155 St)
    Not a nice area of town, but this family-run place opened over 20 years ago as the first Szechuan restaurant in town and still the best. Hot and Sour Soup is awesome, and their Ginger Chicken is to die for.

Matahari (124 St and Jasper Ave)
    Can't miss it as you turn the corner from Jasper to 124 St. Pan-Asian cuisine, primarily encompassing Thai, Vietnamese and Malaysian. Funky decor featuring a long fountain in the middle of the room.

Sunterra (2nd floor, Commerce Place - Jasper Ave and 102 St)
    A great place to go for a quick downtown lunch - soup, salads, sammiches, hot plates. If you can find a seat along the outside during a weekday noon hour, it's an excellent people-watching spot.

C2E Junkie *
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey
    . If you can find a seat along the outside during a weekday noon hour, it's an excellent people-watching spot.
    Guilty as charged...
    Onward and upward

Chicken for Lunch in Scotia Place (Amy the friendly owner won’t always remember your name, but you are always her friend nonetheless.) Get there early or be prepared to wait, Telus workers et al. converge on this place by 11:30. Have the chicken (what else?) ginger, hot and dry etc. the food here is stupendous, the service extremely personable and if you didn’t get there early enough—well worth your wait.

Fat Franks (in front of the rock on Rice Howard Way), best selection of condiments and the street parade is always interesting! Try a Jalapeño Smokie to shake your taste buds up.

Bistro Praha Gourmet Cafe’. This downtown staple has been around for years for a reason; great European style dishes at reasonable prices. Try the fried cheese, the goulash or the schnitzel. 10168 100A ST NW (i.e. Rice Howard Way).

CO CO Di Restaurant. Never busy and I don’t know why, maybe because so many restaurants have been and gone in this location over the years. Food is hummus meets downtown practically. Have a simple cheeseburger, cooked well (as in this cow is dead!) and served fast. 10160 100A Street NW (Another Rice Howard Way locale.)

La Table de Renoir. Parisian chic and yes the Renoir is related “that Renoir”. Any special, any time, is a necessary try. 10046 101A Avenue NW, Not on Rice Howard Way this time but just around the block, this is nestled in the little courtyard (liberal use of the word) between Scotia Place and the Ramsay Block---great view of the parkade entrance to Scotia Place!

Renato Ristorante. Great Italian in a so-so location that is tricky to find. The Spaghetti Bolognese is how Mama would have made it if Mama had been Italian and a great cook! 9515 118 AVE NW.

Luisa Ristorante, down-home great Italian food. Cozy place (as in small) so reserve a table in advance. Try the Shrimps Sambucca (OMG). (104, 8 Perron ST, St. Albert; well worth the drive to “downtown” St. Albert.)

Tony's Pizza Palace

Good pizza, hand tossed while you watch and authentic italian atmosphere ( Okay, it feels a bit like being on the Soprano's )

http://www.tonyspizzapalace.com/index1.htm

Joey's World Grill (?)

In South Edmonton Common. Yes it's a chain restaurant. But the food is good, service ( once you get past the line up to get in ) fine and the people nice to look at.

If it hasn't been mentioned yet - Sorrentino's Downtown

This is a fancy high class restaurant that serves good food ( amazing how many places forget it's about the food ) and doesn't discriminate. You can be wearing a suit and tie, taking you mother for her birthday, or be a high school kid on a "big date" and you will get treated well no matter what. There is a decent budget range fro $12 pasta dishes to $36 bison. There are a lot of people with money and power that eat here, have their own wine locker even... but that don't flaunt it. No pretension, I like that.

Again if it hasn't been mentioned, and is still there - Dadeo's on whyte ave -108st

It's kind of a funky little diner done in Atomic - Southern decor. Cajun inspired food. Not a culinary Mecca, but a fun place to eat none the less.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph60
    Red Ox Inn is the best place in town for a classy romantic dinner, it never fails to impress!
    The
    Best
    Food
    Ever

But you have to make reservations, the place only seats about 20. The seats are hard as a rock, so don't plan on lingering.

But you don't go to the Red ox for the decor, or the chairs, you go for the food...

Has anybody been to Bravo Bistro lately? I was there a couple weeks ago and the had changed their menue from the last time I was their which was last summer. They used to have some decently priced options like roasted beef sandwiches and deep fried spare ribs. Now it's just 20+ dollar plates.

I hope they go back to the old menue for patio season.

C2E Posting Power

Ahh Matahari, love that place!

Edmonton is really blessed with some great restaurants, although I miss Sheckys on the southside, what happened!??!

First One is Always Free

Some Old Strathcona offerings:

Sam Wok - tiny no-frills noodle house in Old Strathcona, beside the Blockbuster Video. Great for simple and inexpensive, yet filling, noodle house dishes, even late night on weekends.

Padthai - Whyte Ave, the old Breadstick Cafe location. Fancy Thai food that's not quite "the King and I" but comes remarkably close. Inexpensive lunch menu with different curries and things. Owned and operated by the family of a co-worker of mine.

Pub 1905 - Canadian themed pub/restaurant at the old Ritchie Mill Restaurant location. Great food with inventive names, large portions, lovely patio, and half-price ($5) mussels platter on Tuesdays.

New Asian Village - on Saskatchewan Drive. Great Indian food buffet on Sundays and Wednesdays, tasty cold desserts, and chai to die for.

It's All Greek to Me - Rice Howard Way. My wife and I always order the appetizer platter when we go to a Greek restaurant. Theirs is as good as any and is more than enough food for two for $30.

Padamanadi - 97St near 106Av. Great place to go with a vegetarian. The "chicken" curry is excellent. You might notice that the "chicken" is fake, but you won't care.

Here's a website where local armchair restaurant critics can read and post reviews:

http://www.itry.ca/EDMONTON/RESTAURANTS/

First One is Always Free

Wasabi - 5714 111 Street - 433-0533

The best Japanese food in the city! It is small, though (family run - Sushi chef from Japan), so reserve if you're going on a weekend.

There's also a new Turkish restaurant off 124 Street (Inglewood - in the same area as the Pyrogy House that burned down) that friends have raved about. I haven't been there yet, because it's not close to my end of town. I'll try to track down the name.

Add Kabsa, The Divine Dish to the must-try list.

In a nutshell, it's a Middle-Eastern fast food place. Although you can get your meal to go, the comfortable and welcoming atmosphere, the bright modern decor and the view of Jasper Ave (~ 103/104 St) are great reasons to stay. The fellow behind the counter is friendly and gracious. The food is divine. Cost is about $10 - $12 for dinner, a few bucks less at lunch time.

Here's a website where local armchair restaurant critics can read and post reviews:

http://www.itry.ca/EDMONTON/RESTAURANTS/
    Best restaurant website for Edmonton! I use it frequently. (needs a better domain name though...)

Quote Originally Posted by RichardS
    Sankyu RULES!!!!

Pico Lino on 142 and ~91 avenue (near the IGA) is an AWESOME out of the way Italian spot.
    My favorite Italian in the city! (Although I hear Tasty Tomato is pretty good.)

Sugar Bowl Right beside the High Level Diner on 88th ave. and 109th St. First time there this Sunday, and I fell in love with the place. The Lamb Burger with goat's feta was awesome, as was the Mango Salsa as an app. Great urban feel, young crowd. (lots of Uni students)

Lux Steakhouse & Bar 101 and 101. I used to work here, so I am a little bias. However, they make a great steak and some really good sides. My favorite would be the strip-loin with a side of Paul's potatoes au gratin. Pricy at times, but well worth it.

Pita the Great Southside, 34th and just east of Gateway Blvd. My hunt for Lebanese takeout led me here 2 months ago. A little out of the way, but very tasty food. Any other Lebanese suggestions?

Pub 1905 IanO, you are right. Some of the best hot-dogs in the city. Lots of other good eats as well.

Three Bananas Cafe Always a favorite. Pizza, Paninis, great coffee.... and they are licensed, so they have great after Winspear and Citadel potential!

First One is Always Free

Furosato 10012 82 Ave NW
    A decent portion of delicious Japanese food for a reasonable price. The place is very cozy and because it always seems to be serving people at maxium capacity, you'll likely be waiting for a table in a long line up if you go for supper after 6:30.

Tropika 6004 104 St NW
    Malaysian/Chinese cuisine. If you love the spice and oriental variety, go here. A wonderful place to pick up satays and have curry or laksa for lunch.

Now, can anyone tell me a good place to go for dim sum (aside from the Golden Rice Bowl) where it is not dirty, the service is equal to all races and the prices aren't over the top?[/i]

Cha for Tea Stony Plain RD & 176 AVE

Clean, good service and GREAT selection. Cha means dim sum and this place gets it. Dim Sum is quite a speciality and Cha has the special chefs for Dim Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    Furosato 10012 82 Ave NW
    A decent portion of delicious Japanese food for a reasonable price. The place is very cozy and because it always seems to be serving people at maxium capacity, you'll likely be waiting for a table in a long line up if you go for supper after 6:30.
    Guess that's why they can afford to be a closed shop. With the window blinds always closed and next to no sidewalk awareness, I often walk by forgetting that it's there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    Now, can anyone tell me a good place to go for dim sum (aside from the Golden Rice Bowl) where it is not dirty, the service is equal to all races and the prices aren't over the top?[/i]
    There is the New Tan Tan on 97 St, just a few steps north of the Hardware Grill.

Cosmos (Greek restaurant), and The Mustard Canteen are worth checking out. Both are located on 124th Street.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

So, have any of you typed the name of your favorite restaurant into the Edmonton journal's database to see how safe it is?

No I havn't, after eating food in China I have gained an appreciation for how clean things are here.
    Edmonton first, everything else second.

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by LindseyT
    So, have any of you typed the name of your favorite restaurant into the Edmonton journal's database to see how safe it is?
    Does anyone have the web address for that database please?

thanks,
    ~A.S.E.
    Edmonton Chamber of Voluntary Organizations

www.ecvo.ca

Time to grow up.

First One is Always Free

For Dim Sum, try:

Noodle Noodle 10008-106 Avenue - consistent quality and lots of variety, lots of natural light, and they hold a fundraiser for the inner city every year

Good Buddy Northgate Mall - good location for north central residents who don't want the hassle to driving downtown, free parking

I was watching Tv last night and saw a tv series about Yanni's...is that a good place?

Quote Originally Posted by Brentk
    I was watching Tv last night and saw a tv series about Yanni's...is that a good place?
    make a night of it...it can get pretty rowdy (fun) in there.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Default Capital Health launches new restaurant hotline

Capital Health launches new restaurant hotline

Jeff Holubitsky
    edmontonjournal.com

Friday, December 01, 2006

EDMONTON - Edmontonians concerned about the cleanliness of the restaurants where they plan to eat can now dial before they dine to ease their minds.

Capital Health is launching a pilot project today to provide telephone access to the latest inspection reports for any restaurant in the region by calling Capital Health Link at 408-5465 (LINK).

"They can just call Health Link and indicate to staff there which restaurant they want information on and then our public health staff will look that up and call them back within one working day," Chief Medical Officer Gerry Predy said Thursday.

The free interim phone service, to run at least to next March before a permanent system is instituted, should also let health officials know what the public wants.

"So when we design our more permanent system, whether it be web-based or another way, we will know what kind of information people are asking for."

Predy said the service will go beyond current searchable inspection records available through The Journal's website, because staff will explain what the reports mean.

"The one advantage of doing it this way is if people don't understand, they will be able to ask a question," he said.

For instance, if a restaurant is cited for vermin, a word that can generically refer to fruit flies, cockroaches or mice, the health staff will be able to be more specific.

"I think when we give them the violations we will tell them things like there was no cover on the lights or we found cockroaches or whatever," he said.

Capital Health started the pilot project in part because of public pressure after a Journal series called Behind the Kitchen Door that ran in September. Following the publication of the stories that reported the health authority was diligent in conducting inspections but rarely closed dirty restaurants, hundreds of readers demanded the inspection reports be made public.

Before the stories, the public could only obtain the reports by making $25 freedom of information requests.

Provincial Auditor General Fred Dunn also recommended in a report this fall that health regions disclose restaurant inspection records.

"If we make inspection information more available to the public, the theory is this will be an incentive for restaurant operators to follow our advice even when it's not to the point where we are going to close them," Predy said.

Restaurants are currently inspected from once a year to four or five times a year depending on the operation. "It's based on the number of patrons they serve and the type of food they serve," he said. "For example, the (Shaw) conference centre where they serve thousands of people at a time would be considered high risk, not because they are poor food handlers but because if they made a mistake they could get a lot of people sick."

[email protected]

First One is Always Free

Default Re: "Must Try" Edmonton restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by Ceres
    I've wanted to do a list like this for a while. I've finally gotten around to it. For each entry I would love to have the following: Name, short description, must try items, location.

Green's - Bubble Tea, Coffee and snacks - owned and operated by a family from Taiwan (the home of Bubble Tea) - All of their Green tea drinks are excellent and the snacks are all pretty good (trust me they taste better than they sound). 5926 104 St NW in the same strip mall as Tropika.

Man, so many places I need to try... I think i'm gonna eat well for the next little bit .
    yeah, some of my friends have been telling me about green's....but they thought the drinks were kind of pricey (really?)

i've actually been there a few times but thought the price was ok since they have really good qualities there(Y), .... anywayz, if people wants to try the TRADITIONAL bubble tea, you should go to green's

I checked out East Bound at the citadel tonight.

Unlike the times I've been to the other restaurants that have been in that location the past couple of years every single table was taken. Could of been a pre show crowd...

My meal was pretty good and it had a fair sized menu.

I suppose if you like sushi it would be a really good place to go. Myself, I've yet to develop the tast for that stuff.

grish

Default Re: "Must Try" Edmonton restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by minime
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceres

yeah, some of my friends have been telling me about green's....but they thought the drinks were kind of pricey (really?)

i've actually been there a few times but thought the price was ok since they have really good qualities there(Y), .... anywayz, if people wants to try the TRADITIONAL bubble tea, you should go to green's

went to greens last night--very very good. price is the same as anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by onishenko
    Lux Steakhouse & Bar 101 and 101. I used to work here, so I am a little bias. However, they make a great steak and some really good sides. My favorite would be the strip-loin with a side of Paul's potatoes au gratin. Pricy at times, but well worth it.
    I was there just the other night. I observed how it is initially dominated by the after-work business suits and then during the course of the evening they are intermingled with youngish hipster types. Great upscale atmosphere, and the food is good. I sometimes see a lineup at lunch time. We need more places like this in the core.

Savoy's - 111 St and 51 Ave
    This is a small Indian veggie/health-food cafe hidden away in a small stripmall anchored by a Sobey's, across from Southgate Mall. The dosais are delicious.

Szechuan Cuisine (Stony Plain Road and 155 St)
    Not a nice area of town, but this family-run place opened over 20 years ago as the first Szechuan restaurant in town and still the best. Hot and Sour Soup is awesome, and their Ginger Chicken is to die for.
    Scratch this one. They closed down a couple of months ago and another Chinese place is there. But the new place still tries to pass themselves off as the Szechuan Cuisine to unsuspecting takeaway customers, so be aware.

Addicted to C2E

For Lebanese food, stay away from co co di: sure the atmosphere is great, but they serve overpriced watered-down crap ! Try La Shish Talouk (Jasper and 118 st) instead.
    For a down-home donair, nothing beats Queen's donair (at various locations) though.
    Spicy Garden is excellent for reasonably authentic (but nothing scary-- no intestines or pig feet here) and great-tasting Chinese food.
    For somewhat less authentic (but still great-tasting) Chinese/Pan-Asian food, Oodle Noodle (Whyte and 108 St) is a good place.
    Yet to find a Chinese or Indian place that does a weekend lunch buffet (unlike Calgary....from where I just moved). Can anyone help ?? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cal76
    For Lebanese food, stay away from co co di: sure the atmosphere is great, but they serve overpriced watered-down crap ! Try La Shish Talouk (Jasper and 118 st) instead.
    For a down-home donair, nothing beats Queen's donair (at various locations) though.
    Spicy Garden is excellent for reasonably authentic (but nothing scary-- no intestines or pig feet here) and great-tasting Chinese food.
    For somewhat less authentic (but still great-tasting) Chinese/Pan-Asian food, Oodle Noodle (Whyte and 108 St) is a good place.
    Yet to find a Chinese or Indian place that does a weekend lunch buffet (unlike Calgary....from where I just moved). Can anyone help ?? Thanks
    Welcome to Edmonton and C2E!

New Asian Village Westend is my favourite Indian restaurant (17507-100th AVE) and they do a weekday lunch buffet but I just checked and they don't do a weekend.

Haweli Restaurant (10220 103 ST) is great as well not sure about weekend buffet though.

There are a couple on 34th Avenue between 91-99 Street (Little Bombay) that do weekend buffets such as Maurya Palace, Taj Palace or Bombay Palace that are pretty good.

As for a Chinese buffet sorry I cannot help...Dim Sum or Yum Cha I do but Chinese buffet I don't.

BTW, Co Co Di has great cheese burgers...

Try Sofra Restaurant (108-10345 106 Street) for great dips (Humus etc.) and pita bread cooked fresh and brought to the table.

New Asian Village does a dinner buffet every Sunday night which is quite good. As for weekend lunch buffet, some of the places in the Little India part of town might do so, keep your eyes open.

Cal76 - welcome!

New Asian Village - -Good Indian restaurant. I also like the fact that it has a great selection of beers, too. I usually go for the Kingfisher, which is an Indian lager that goes really well with the food there.

La Shish Taouk is a great place to get a bite to eat! Try the beef shawarma pita wraps or the kafta pita wraps! Trust me, they're great after a night out at Suede or Earl's Lounge or whatnot.

I was there just the other night. I observed how it is initially dominated by the after-work business suits and then during the course of the evening they are intermingled with youngish hipster types. Great upscale atmosphere, and the food is good. I sometimes see a lineup at lunch time. We need more places like this in the core.
    I'm there sometimes, but usually for a drink or two rather than the food, though the food is still good. As for the drink part, it's one of the few places where I can get a G&T with Beefeater's (I'm not a fan of Bombay Sapphire Blue nor Tanqueray's).

Il Portico - It can be pricey, but this Italian restaurant is well worth it. Great appetizers and main courses like the rack of lamb. Good pasta there, too as well.

Rigoletto's Another Italian restaurant, but more reasonably priced. They sure don't skimp on the sausage in one of the pasta dishes! I can't quite remember what that one was called specifically, but it was TASTY.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeK
    Cal76 - welcome!

New Asian Village - -Good Indian restaurant. I also like the fact that it has a great selection of beers, too. I usually go for the Kingfisher, which is an Indian lager that goes really well with the food there.

La Shish Taouk is a great place to get a bite to eat! Try the beef shawarma pita wraps or the kafta pita wraps! Trust me, they're great after a night out at Suede or Earl's Lounge or whatnot.

I'm there sometimes, but usually for a drink or two rather than the food, though the food is still good. As for the drink part, it's one of the few places where I can get a G&T with Beefeater's (I'm not a fan of Bombay Sapphire Blue nor Tanqueray's).

Il Portico - It can be pricey, but this Italian restaurant is well worth it. Great appetizers and main courses like the rack of lamb. Good pasta there, too as well.

Rigoletto's Another Italian restaurant, but more reasonably priced. They sure don't skimp on the sausage in one of the pasta dishes! I can't quite remember what that one was called specifically, but it was TASTY.
    I love Kingfisher or Raj beer with New Asian Village (West) but the last week when we were there they had neither... I had a Coors instead--big mistake tasted like amber coloured water (I finished it though!) but I did not really enjoy it.

Lux is more a after work drink place for me too although I have had many an expense account (someone elses!) luncheon and dinner there and always enjoy. (I like Hy's too!)

Il Portico is not one of my Favs, too "full of themselves" for my liking.

Rigoletto's is great and I like the atmosphere there better.

Addicted to C2E

Just tried Bueno Gelato yesterday, cozy little place on 124 st ..... it was Fabulous !! A huge selection of gelati, including milk-free ones suitable for a lactose-intolerant like me Btw, thanks for all the welcoming wods on this forum...too bad i hadn't checked it earlier.

[quote="Cal76"]Just tried Bueno Gelato yesterday, cozy little place on 124 st ..... it was Fabulous !! A huge selection of gelati, including milk-free ones suitable for a lactose-intolerant like me Btw, thanks for all the welcoming wods on this forum...too bad i hadn't checked it earlier.[/quote

BTW, New Asian Village Westend and Millwoods locations both do weekend buffets!

I am starting to develop an addiction to Curry Fix in the Commerce Place food court. And judging from the long lineups I see everytime, I am not alone.

I am starting to develop an addiction to Curry Fix in the Commerce Place food court. And judging from the long lineups I see everytime, I am not alone.
    Nope you are not! Funny I have never seen you there...you must be really good at ducking!

Curry Fix is in R'bend as well!

That's because I either eat lunch early or late, I'm not one of the sheep that adheres to the government drone mindset of go out grazing at the exact stroke of noon! :P :P

That's because I either eat lunch early or late, I'm not one of the sheep that adheres to the government drone mindset of go out grazing at the exact stroke of noon! :P :P
    Neither am I!!! It is usually very late (if at all) though.

La Tapa on 10523 99 Ave is a nice little Spanish restaurant serving some delicious tapas. Their sangria's a great drink to have on a nice warm day as well.

grish

as it was mentioned elsewhere their working hours are just silly to the point that I have stopped trying to go there--chance are they are closed .

Famoso Neapolitan Pizzeria at Jasper and 118. Used to be a Badass Jacks, right beside that On The Rocks bar. I am developing an addiction to their pizza. Looks like they're already looking at franchising it out.

Famoso Neapolitan Pizzeria at Jasper and 118. Used to be a Badass Jacks, right beside that On The Rocks bar. I am developing an addiction to their pizza. Looks like they're already looking at franchising it out.
    ^ YES! The pizza there is soooooooooooo good.

Default I am in Love...

Red Ox Inn is the best!

Went last night with the SO to celebrate our anniversary and it was over the top fantastic!!!

I'd been several times before but never with my boy so when it came to a place to go this anniversary I suggested and made the reservations there.

When I called I mentioned it was our 20th which they remembered so we had the best private table in the place (which if you now the place is tricky as it is small).

Dine Alberta is going on so there were local choices (actually more than usual) and a whole lot of sharing went on.

When our server came to check on our appetizers I said "we are in love...with the food" (and each other!).

Gave our compliments to the Chef upon leaving very sated.

I would put the Red Ox Inn up against any top rated restaurant in the world (and since I've been around I have been to restaurants in New York, Paris, Tokyo etc.).

Fantastic food, innovative and creative presentation, great plating with professional service I would give them 10 Golden Spoons and five stars!

First One is Always Free

Pazzo Pazzo on 103 ave by 100 street--cut my steak with my fork

Quote Originally Posted by kilocar
    Pazzo Pazzo on 103 ave by 100 street--cut my steak with my fork
    ^ I have to check this place out...soon!

First One is Always Free

My favorite has to be the Sawmill - the prime rib is the best I'Ve had anywhere, and the chocolate obsession for desert is to die for.

Addicted to C2E

^You will have to try another restaurant the next time you are in Edmonton - food is OK at Sawmill but there are much better places to eat in our fair city.

What's wrong with the Sawmill? It is a decent place for a steak dinner.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Nothing "wrong" with it, it just seems that kona thinks there is better to be had in Edmonton. For what one pays for a dinner at Sawmill, I share that opinion
    Time to grow up.

Addicted to C2E

Nothing wrong I just never had anything that made me rave about.

For a good steak or prime rib, even the Keg is far superior. For a really great steak or prime rib meal, Ruth Chris Steakhouse downtown is the place. Great atmosphere and service, awesome food - it is on the higher end but you do get what you pay for.

Joey's and Earls even have a decent steak.

Ruth Chris? The place that serves American beef instead of the local stuff?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Addicted to C2E

Ruth Chris? The place that serves American beef instead of the local stuff?
    Yes, even though Alberta beef is very good there is other beef that is equally as good. They do have some Alberta Beef on the menu, I think it may even be the prime rib. There is also fabulous beef from Hawaii - yes from Hawaii, they happen to have the one of the oldest and largest ranches in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by kona
    Nothing wrong I just never had anything that made me rave about.

For a good steak or prime rib, even the Keg is far superior. For a really great steak or prime rib meal, Ruth Chris Steakhouse downtown is the place. Great atmosphere and service, awesome food - it is on the higher end but you do get what you pay for.

Joey's and Earls even have a decent steak.
    Not a huge steak or prime rib eater but the odd time when I do get a craving I like Ric's, LUX or Chophouse and I miss Hy's (RIP).

Ruth's Chris has great service etc. but do not totally agree with the awesome food comment...it is tender steak but the serving method is a throwback to the early 80's with too much accompaniment for my taste. A good piece of meat should taste like meat and can stand on its own if it is seasoned and cooked correctly it does not need a heap of butter or Bearnaise IMO.

Lighthouse Restaurant at Billingsgate Seafood on 104 Street across from Strathcona High.
    Fly Edmonton first. Support EIA

Addicted to C2E

Quote Originally Posted by DebraW
    Not a huge steak or prime rib eater but the odd time when I do get a craving I like Ric's, LUX or Chophouse and I miss Hy's (RIP).

Ruth's Chris has great service etc. but do not totally agree with the awesome food comment...it is tender steak but the serving method is a throwback to the early 80's with too much accompaniment for my taste. A good piece of meat should taste like meat and can stand on its own if it is seasoned and cooked correctly it does not need a heap of butter or Bearnaise IMO.
    I have not been to the Chophouse but will have to try.

You can always do what I do, please no butter, just some pepper please, and nice and rare!

Don't go alone though (not that you would) as the sides are definately for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by 24karat
    Lighthouse Restaurant at Billingsgate Seafood on 104 Street across from Strathcona High.
    ^ YES! I love seafood and shellfish of any sort (must be growing up on an island!) and the Lighthouse Restaurant is one of the best places I have ever been for either. Great selection and great chefs!

Excellent view of the river valley and the city skyline, understated but exotic atmosphere, excellent food. Still regarded as one of the best Indian restaurants in town, and there's plenty of good ones here. There's a new second location somewhere in the big-box hellhole west of 170 St between Stony Plain Road and 100 Ave.
    Love the New Asian Village. We had Sunday lunch at the 170 odd one yesterday (yes this is a tricky location to find due to the traffic mess around here), buffet is fantastic, for two people, around $25, 2 kids was $5 extra (they called it "open food"). For a great selection of Indian food - something for everyone, this is a great place to eat. Even chocolate fruit fondue fountain for the kids (and me).

Just a comment - on the whole Japanese food is very poor in Edmonton, some of the dishes sold do not even exist in Japan. My wife (who is Japanese), was shocked at how poor the quality was when we first arrived. Most of it is actually modified Chinese, or Westernized Japanese, not even close to the real deal. Sadly, this seems to be what the Albertan market wants, and is used to. Supply will match demand I guess. For a reasonably authentic experience, Mikado (10350 109 St) is probably the closest to real Japanese in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter

Love New Asian Village. We had Sunday lunch at the 170 odd one yesterday (yes this is a tricky location to find due to the traffic mess around here), buffet is fantastic, for two people, around $25, 2 kids was $5 extra (they called it "open food"). For a great selection of Indian food - something for everyone, this is a great place to eat. Even chocolate fruit fondue for the kids (and me).

Just a comment - on the whole Japanese food is very poor in Edmonton, some of the dishes sold do not even exist in Japan. My wife (who is Japanese), was shocked at how poor the quality was when we first arrived. Most of it is actually modified Chinese, not the real deal. Sadly, this seems to be what the Albertan market wants, and is used to. Supply will match demand I guess. For a reasonably authentic experience, Mikado (10350 109 St) is probably the closest to real Japanese in the city.
    ^ New Asian on 172 is a real pain to access not only because of the construction but because of the one-ways but it is SO worth it when you get there!

I don't do Indian Buffet because I like my curry atomic hot and then punched up a smidge and WE New Asian has my spice level down perfect. Sonia and Bindare (SP?) are fantastic.

Japanese food in Edmonton is hit and miss at best.

Has anyone been to Skinny Legs & Cowgirls Bistro?

Quote Originally Posted by DebraW
    I don't do Indian Buffet because I like my curry atomic hot and then punched up a smidge and WE New Asian has my spice level down perfect.
    My wife "enhances" hers with the Chutney type things you can add. She went a little overboard on the weekend though, and struggled through a dish I used to like hot food (Thai was especially good and cheap in NZ), but have lost the taste a bit since eating all the plain food since moving here. Chain food seems to simply be salt laced with stupidly large poritions - but it is cheap for us families, so I won't complain too much Use it or lose it re spice tolerance I guess!

An encouraging thing about New Asian village, is that it is full of Indian customers, and was recommended to us by an Indian friend. We will definitily now try "Sonia and Bindare" though.

PS. There was a good documentary the other day about how bad family resutrant food can be (a vegie burger equalling 4 quarter pounders, etc.). Swiss Chalet came out with a lot of credit, salt, health, and information wise. Maybe not an "Edmonton" resturant as such, but always great to hear about a responsible organization

An encouraging thing about New Asian village, is that it is full of Indian customers, and was recommended to us by an Indian friend. We will definitily now try "Sonia and Bindare" though.
    Which location? I rarely see Indians at the original Sask Drive place.

Made up over half the customers at lunchtime (including a family event, which may have boosted numbers) on Sunday at West End location. I have not been to Sask Drive location though.

Addicted to C2E

Not the cleanest place

Premises Name: New Asian Village
    Address: 10143 - Saskatchewan Drive
    City: Edmonton
    Inspection Date: 8/23/2007
    Inspection Type: Demand
    Inspection Sub Type: Disease Control - SFBI
    Action: Action Pending
    Violation Description: Floors, Walls & Ceilings (Maintenance)
    Food Held at Room Temperature
    Unfit for Human Consumption
    Refrigeration Storage
    Thawing of Food
    Premises Name: New Asian Village
    Address: 10143 - Saskatchewan Drive
    City: Edmonton
    Inspection Date: 7/24/2007
    Inspection Type: Demand
    Inspection Sub Type: Complaint Inspection
    Action: Action Pending
    Violation Description: Food/Storage Area Incursions
    Vermin
    Washroom Sanitation
    Washroom Maintenance
    Floors, Walls & Ceilings (Structural)
    Floors, Walls & Ceilings (Maintenance)
    Handwash Supplies
    Restaurant Inspections

And there is a lot more than that for both locations.

grish

now you had to go and ruin it for me...

Quote Originally Posted by kona
    And there is a lot more than that for both locations.
    The funny thing is, we get all these inspections, but not much seems to happen. I have read that other cities require that the latest inspection be posted in a visible spot on the front door. Maybe our city should do the same? Maybe that would make the consequences of non-compliance more significant?

I guess no restaurant is perfect though. It is a bit depressing searching our top resturants on this site, and seeing the results.

First One is Always Free

Quote Originally Posted by Blueline
    A co-worker went there the other day and said the food was fantastic. Everything organic and well prepared. He suggested the mussels. Said they were very amazing. I value his opinion becuase he knows good quality food.

They were apart of the rocky Mountain Wine and Food Festival and recieved rave reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by nmckenzie
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueline
    A co-worker went there the other day and said the food was fantastic. Everything organic and well prepared. He suggested the mussels. Said they were very amazing. I value his opinion becuase he knows good quality food.

They were apart of the rocky Mountain Wine and Food Festival and recieved rave reviews.
    They were also the only restaurant from Edmonton written up in an Air Canada magazine about top restaurants in the country. The article mentioned their pricing was a bit strange; $12 for humus and pitas, and $14 for mussels - something like that.

Gord

Has anyone tried El Rancho?

Yup, my girlfriend and I went there about a month ago. The food was great, but the service was so-so. I had a hard time explaining to the server that my girlfriend wanted a fork; she finally brought one about 30 mins later (I reminded her a few times) after we no longer needed it. Their prices were very reasonable as well. We'll go back there again for sure.

Gord

grish

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey
    Yup, my girlfriend and I went there about a month ago. The food was great, but the service was so-so. I had a hard time explaining to the server that my girlfriend wanted a fork; she finally brought one about 30 mins later (I reminded her a few times) after we no longer needed it. Their prices were very reasonable as well. We'll go back there again for sure.

Gord
    I don't mean to pry, but should it read "I wanted a fork" since your girlfriend was already using yours? because, it could have quite easily have been "my ex-girlfriend wanted a fork..."

Haha, no....we didn't have any forks at all! I forget what she wanted the fork for, but she either gave up, or ate it with her hands.

Gord

Well, 4 of us went to Skinny Legs on Sat. Cramped and cozy ala' Ikea
    The food was exceptional from an "adventurous" point of view, was fresh, well prepared and presented.
    Yes, the two orders of muscles we had were great. Champagne w/Shallots and a second one of Tomato w/ Chipotle. Very unusual but both were fantastic. Two great vegetable dishes of Spaghetti squash and potatoes and cheese(?)
    Our Main course (as it seemed for every table that nite) was the mixed grill. Very "Carne" mixture if a little spartan from a serving size. We had a fun Server who covered for the unexpected Tapas style serving sequence.
    Prices were a little higher than expected however we would go back again

WHOO-HOO! Koryo has opened up shop in West Edmonton Mall's smaller food court. It's very good Korean food and they serve it in pretty big portions.

^that is one kind of food i wish we had more of downtown...we need an all you can eat BBQ house
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO
    ^that is one kind of food i wish we had more of downtown...we need an all you can eat BBQ house
    There one opening beside Pub 1905 no?

Quote Originally Posted by DanC

Korean BBQ not alberta bbq
    www.decl.org

Mmmm Bul go gi house.

Mmmm Bul go gi house.

pretty good...but pales, as does everything, compared to places in van or toronto. Ginsing house on 34ave is ok...but still weak.
    www.decl.org

Mmmm Bul go gi house.

pretty good...but pales, as does everything, compared to places in van or toronto. Ginsing house on 34ave is ok...but still weak.
    Meh, I think its very good.

Mmmm Bul go gi house.

meh, i think you need to try more.
    www.decl.org

Mmmm Bul go gi house.

meh, i think you need to try more.
    Drive me to T.O.

Banned

^well that was a fun read.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Default New Way Pizza

I have to recommend my favourite pizza place. We order from here regularly and always enjoy.

New Way Pizza - Serves pizza with whole wheat dough that tastes amazing! They have neat combinations and amazingly low prices. I really recommend their Hawaiian pizza and Jalapeno Cheddar dip. This restaurant is pick up or delivery only. 13128 66 Street NW, 478-6200.

Masalaz (4218 66 Street - strip mall behind McDonalds, south of Whitemud interchange)
    They are an Indian restaurant that specializes in the spicier southern India fare (most places serve stuff from northern India), although for some inexplicable reason they bill themselves as a Caribbean place. Stopped by for a dosai (it was huge) and a South Indian style coffee and was blown away by the deliciousness. Highly recommended.

Page 1 of 34 1234511 ... LastLast