Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: "Must Try" Edmonton restaurants

I'd rather C2E than work!

Anyone been to Wowie Howie Pechet's Violina in high street yet?
    Last edited by Blueline; 21-04-2008 at 08:19 AM.

never answered e-mail

Went to "El Rancho" on 118 ave and 87 st yesterday for dinner. They call it a "Spanish restaurant" , but it is Mexican and Salvadorian cuisine. Very good food (authentic) at a reasonable cost. Service is slow, but if that doesn't bother you, I would highly recommend this place. There is so much potential for Alberta Ave and my hat goes off to places like this making a go at it along that strip.

Default Golden Bird and Bonanza

Golden Bird is off 97 street and 106-107 ave and Bonanza has the best buffet I hav e had since going to Royal Fork Buffet on Stony Plain Rd and 149 Street.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Blueline View Post
    Anyone been to Wowie Howie Pechet's Violina in high street yet?
    I haven't yet but some friends went and said it was excellent - they'd go back. And they know their food...
    Almost always open to debate...

Thx David,
    We will likely go, then report to C2E Monday

C2E Long Term Contributor

Is Violina the old La Spiga beside the Manor Cafe?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Partially Addicted to C2E

Hey foodies, I just found this blog all about the Edmonton restaurant / eating scene:

http://optimisticallycautious.blogspot.com/

SDM, sorry, Yes.

Well, we went to Violin on Sat night.
    Relatively busy. Wonderful service delivered by all members of the staff. We were all made to feel very welcome and appreciated, which was very nice!
    Very interesting menu if a little veal centric. Wine list a little limited but ok. Presentation of the meal was lovely. We all were surprised by the somewhat bland or mild flavors. Maybe the new trend is to let the "base speak for itself" however we all expected a little more flair in the use of seasonings. Meal for four with both white and red (due to allergies) $300.00+

^ Sounds like it was both a good and and medium-good event for you, Blueline. Given the price range, would you recommend Violino over other, comparably-priced establishments? I'm thinking Normand's, Characters, and so on.

There is to be some sort of tapas style outdoor BBQ(?) when their patio (still one of the nicest in the city) opens. We had also found out, prior to arriving, that this is now open ( and waiting) for the lunch crowd. Would love to hear a lunch review from someone!?!
    Overall we were looking for the flair of lets say Hardware (always great) and left disapointed due to having also had this level of zip in our meals at Il Pasticcio (always good) as well. These two restaurants would show both ends of the $$"s scale
    We all felt though that our meal was not the restaurants fault as they are recently open and maybe we had the wrong expectations. Our group would want to hear of a bit of a change before we went for a full evening meal again.
    Not much of an answer, sorry

^ Not at all. Very helpful - I know what you're saying. Perhaps others here will get there and we'll see what they say. May have to try it myself!

I'm quite impressed with Edmonton now that I start to think of restuarants that I have really enjoyed.

In no particular order:

Culina just off 99th
    Copper Pot over-looking the High Level
    Normands
    Red Ox Inn
    Flavours on Whyte
    New Asian Village on Sask. Drive

Suddenly I feel hungry.

The "All Knowing and Wonderful" S.O. and I ventured west to BIG BOX land to satisfy our cravings/need for some additional electronics last night.
    We went to Koutouki West for the first time, for a quick nosh! We were not sure what to expect as we usually stick to Koutouki Central on 124th

This family still runs great Greek restaurants with superb food and pleasant staff!
    If you Seek some Greek, they are always reliable.

Addicted to C2E

Default The Lingnan

The Lingnan!

Ric's Grill on Perron Street, St. Albert. Although they did not have my reservation recorded, I liked it. Nice open patio at the back and semi-closed patio at the front. Huge high ceilings. The Chicken Tetrrozini (sp) was excellent but $48.00 for a bottle of red wine was a bit on the pricey side.

My gf and i went to "Accent" on 104st just north of whyte (across the alley north from chili's). I had not been there before, why i dont know, but my oh my it has become a must return now.

It is quiant, darker, feels like geneva kinda thing.

We had beef carpaccio to start...maybe the best ive had.

She had schnitzel and it was the best ive had in canada. I will go back just for it.

I had Mornet, chicken + porta mush + cream white wine sauce + schal = so good.

Service was friendly and reasonably quick. Prices were midrange.

The menu had so many things we liked we could go back a dozen times.

Overall i would rate it 8.5/10...maybe 9/10
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

^ I agree. Accent is a very nice restaurant, good food and good prices. We've been there a half-dozen times and have sampled most of the menu. It helps that the service is friendly and prompt. Also, on warmer days and evenings, the front windows open fully onto Accent's small patio on 104th.

Has anyone been to Ragazzi's on whyte (north sideof the ave.) just east of Bdoon?

^Isn't that just a name change or do they not serve Pizza there anymore?

a.k.a. Pizza Boys.

Been there, done that. Good pizza. I wouldn't categorize it as excellent, but that's subjective. A more traditional thin crust is what's offered, if that's your cup of tea. I thought it was pretty good.

While wasting some time last night, I found a decently populated forum that does restaurant reviews. I definitely agreed with a lot of the ratings and reviews posted.

http://www.restaurantthing.com/ca/ab...s_list_all.php

Unfortunately for Lingnan fans, their rating is lower than the fans on this board would feel just as it's not authentic Chinese. For my palate, I'm happy Lingnan isn't overly greasy for Western-Chinese food. I do recommend the place to friends looking for delivery and going to the place is truly going back in a time-machine.

For Italian, I enjoy:
    Sicilian Pasta Kitchen (mussels are a favourite along with their antipasto plate)
    Allegro's (cheaper, similar to the more popular Rigoletto's to me)

For a great steak, Teddy's hasn't been mentioned here. The place is dated, but the steak is great and not the price you'll find at a trendier Keg or Sawmill.

Donairs / shawarma: Hands-down, Moonlight Cafe on Jasper and 107th.

First One is Always Free

I recommend Don Antonio's, serves mexican food. It's located on 124st between 107 and 108 ave. The food's tasty with good portions, and the place had a cozy feel.

I also recommend Urban diner on Highstreet. It has a selection of soup, sandwiches, salads and burgers. Their shoestring fries are Tasty!!

For fine dining, The Hardware grill is great. I went there this past fall for a birthday celebration. The food is top notch, the service was great. It is pricey but definitely worth it for a special occasion or a romantic dinner for two.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ View Post
    While wasting some time last night, I found a decently populated forum that does restaurant reviews. I definitely agreed with a lot of the ratings and reviews posted.

http://www.restaurantthing.com/ca/ab...s_list_all.php

Unfortunately for Lingnan fans, their rating is lower than the fans on this board would feel just as it's not authentic Chinese. For my palate, I'm happy Lingnan isn't overly greasy for Western-Chinese food. I do recommend the place to friends looking for delivery and going to the place is truly going back in a time-machine.

For Italian, I enjoy:
    Sicilian Pasta Kitchen (mussels are a favourite along with their antipasto plate)
    Allegro's (cheaper, similar to the more popular Rigoletto's to me)

For a great steak, Teddy's hasn't been mentioned here. The place is dated, but the steak is great and not the price you'll find at a trendier Keg or Sawmill.

Donairs / shawarma: Hands-down, Moonlight Cafe on Jasper and 107th.
    I think Lingnan is great for what it is. It's not super authentic but it's pretty tasty. Like you said, not overly greasy which is a plus when seeking out 'Americanized' Chinese food. I'll probably take my parents there when they visit sometime, just for kicks. I've only had delivery so I'm interested to see what the restaurant itself is actually like!

I have heard consistently good (or at least decent) things about Sicilian Pasta Kitchen. I keep meaning to try that, too.

Quote Originally Posted by blondesback View Post
    I have heard consistently good (or at least decent) things about Sicilian Pasta Kitchen. I keep meaning to try that, too.
    Yeah, that is what I would say about Sicilian Pasta Kitchen is that they are consistently decent -- not the best -- but not bad either.

Here are my favorites:

Sai Woo Restaurant ( on 97 Street - between 105 and 106 Ave): Go for the Calamari first, cheapest and the best, goes good with some hot sauce and squeeze some lemon juice into the sauce. They specialize in Cantonese cooking, and the prices are pretty reasonable compared to most other Chinese restaurants.

Lynnwood Donair: ( on 149 Street between 87 Ave and 88 Ave): The Chicken donairs are the best IMO. They use cubes of chicken breast meat. With respect to beef donairs and the stories about the meat being not thoroughly cooked, you don't have to worry as this place not just slices off the heat rack but also cooks it again. Their largest beef donair is a challenge to eat.

WokKing Restaurant ( on 106 Ave between 100 and 101 Street / between All-Happy Restuarant and Garden Bakery): Also, another place for a decent dinner for a decent price (unlike some Chinese restaurants that expect you to pay the moon and the sun/son for a meal)

Da Capo (109 Street just south of the High Level Bridge): Gelato - Yum Yum Yum and I heard their pizzas are good too.

Uncle Ed's Restaurant (49 Street and 118 Ave): feel Ukrainian? go for Garlic Sausage and Perogies amongst other dishes. It's half restaurant and half deli. They only open til 7 PM last time I was there.

Italian Bakery (on 97 Street between 106 and 106A ave): besides have awesome cakes (liquor cream filling), they also make decent sandwiches. Lots of meat (capicollo, genoa salami, etc) with assorted cheeses (havarti, mozza, provolone, etc), but no vegetables in the sandwich. The Deli Sandwiches at Safeway give Italian Bakery a run for their money, as Safeway obviously has more selections.

Honorable mention for dumplings: If you got a Costco membership or know someone who does, buy a bag of Ling Ling Dumplings (chicken & vegetable filling). These dumplings are better than what restaurants serve. Just my opinion.

Ok, I'm really hungry now.

sai woo is awesome

italian bakery is a weekly stop
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    My gf and i went to "Accent" on 104st just north of whyte (across the alley north from chili's). I had not been there before, why i dont know, but my oh my it has become a must return now.

It is quiant, darker, feels like geneva kinda thing.

We had beef carpaccio to start...maybe the best ive had.

She had schnitzel and it was the best ive had in canada. I will go back just for it.

I had Mornet, chicken + porta mush + cream white wine sauce + schal = so good.

Service was friendly and reasonably quick. Prices were midrange.

The menu had so many things we liked we could go back a dozen times.

Overall i would rate it 8.5/10...maybe 9/10
    Although I have never visited this one, I must say that this is what it's all about.

Don't accept anything less than the "best I've had", "so good", "very tastey", "I would eat this again", "value for the money", etc.

In the restaurant biz only the strong should survive.

The wife and I had a late meal an hour before closing at the Keg. My tuna was excelent (at least for a prairie town). The wife's prime rib was blah (but then again I expected that given the time of day). The service was terrible, and it took forever to get 2 dishes that was easy to prepare.

The bottom line is that the manager comped the food, the waitress got her 2 cent tip, and the Keg gets another shot at my money.

....the Kronic

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

One of my favorite places is Original Joes near the museum. It's a good place to just relax, enjoy a reasonably priced meal, and have a beer. It also has a great atmosphere. The food is nothing special, but it's always hot and tasty. Also, the service is usually pretty phenomenal.

^i would agree...for a run of the mill it is far above avg. Not to mention a great patio.
    www.decl.org

I recently had a great meal at la ronde - can't believe I've never been there before. Fantastic prime rib...kind of amusing old-school-establishment atmosphere. and of course you rotate so how can you get any better than that?

great views of City Centre Airport btw, was the topic of discussion at more than one table.
    City Centre Airport is to the sky as False Creek is to the ocean.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^ I was just there last night actually, and I don't know why people are always dumping on it. I've heard that it was disappointing in a previous incarnation? But everytime I've been there I've been impressed. It might not be quite at the level of the Hardware Grill, but it's definitely in the top tier of restaurants in the city.

And I'm not normally a steak or primerib person, but after many bad experiences at places like the Keg (why do they even ask you how you want your steak done? As far as I can tell the results are completely random), it's nice to be reminded that some restaurants actually do know what they're doing.

I was at Buddy Won Ton (Gateway Blvd and 80 Ave). 75% of the patrons were Asian, which is always a good sign. The grub was delicious, and if you want a spicy dish they don't skimp on the heat. I think I'll be doing take-out from there on a semi-regular basis.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Red face Red Ox Inn!

We celebrated our wedding anniversary at the Red Ox Inn on Friday and we are both still raving.

The food there is always fantastic, innovative with fresh flavour sensations and creative plating.

I love it.

Service is impeccable (world class and professional), the restaurant is intimate but warm and inviting.

Slightly expensive (okay quite expensive) but worth it for special occasions as the Red Ox never disappoints.

The Red Ox is also part of Keep Edmonton Original and Original Fare!

Quote Originally Posted by DebraW View Post
    Chicken for Lunch in Scotia Place (Amy the friendly owner won’t always remember your name, but you are always her friend nonetheless.) Get there early or be prepared to wait, Telus workers et al. converge on this place by 11:30. Have the chicken (what else?) ginger, hot and dry etc. the food here is stupendous, the service extremely personable and if you didn’t get there early enough—well worth your wait.
    +1 for Chicken for Lunch!
    Imagine: a world free of hypothetical situations!

Anybody ever been to Rigoletto's Cafe in its new location on the SW corner of 103 St and 100 Ave? Look for a big, brown brick condo building called Claire Estate, and you'll see that restaurant on the main floor with the name "Rigoletto's Cafe painted on all of its windows on the 100 Ave side. Quite easy to find.

I was there with my sister's BF. My sister wasn't there, as she was out of town on business. We agreed it might be worth trying out. He had never been to that resto before, but my sister and I have, when it was at the Mayfair Hotel location. I wanted to see if it was still as good as I remembered it when it was at the old location, before it got evicted from the Mayfair Hotel due to a serious burst water pipe problem in December, 2007.

We both shared an appetizer, which was the smoked salmon with cream cheese and sliced toasted bread. We both agreed that it was very good.

For the main course, I had a rigatoni dish with Italian sausage and spicy red peppers. I had the small order - still pretty substantial - and they do not skimp on both the peppers and the sausage! Yum! He had a rigatoni dish, one that was different, I can't remember exactly right now which, but it had a tomato-based sauce and he liked it very much.

The service was pretty friendly and quick.

I'd definitely go back one day. I asked my sister's BF if he'd take my sister there for lunch or dinner, and he said yes, he would.

We went to Bistro Praha last Sat. night prior to the ESO. Very Busy (reservation rec.)
    Neither of had been in years.... Same decor ..... Same menu ........ Same prices .......
    Same great Euro food ......
    Will go again and will have the goulash and open face crab sandwiches
    Hopefully they to are the Same as they used to be .....

We celebrated our wedding anniversary at the Red Ox Inn on Friday and we are both still raving.

The food there is always fantastic, innovative with fresh flavour sensations and creative plating.

I love it.

Service is impeccable (world class and professional), the restaurant is intimate but warm and inviting.

Slightly expensive (okay quite expensive) but worth it for special occasions as the Red Ox never disappoints.

The Red Ox is also part of Keep Edmonton Original and Original Fare!
    agreed in full... i dont get here enough.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
    Anybody ever been to Rigoletto's Cafe in its new location on the SW corner of 103 St and 100 Ave? Look for a big, brown brick condo building called Claire Estate, and you'll see that restaurant on the main floor with the name "Rigoletto's Cafe painted on all of its windows on the 100 Ave side. Quite easy to find.

I was there with my sister's BF. My sister wasn't there, as she was out of town on business. We agreed it might be worth trying out. He had never been to that resto before, but my sister and I have, when it was at the Mayfair Hotel location. I wanted to see if it was still as good as I remembered it when it was at the old location, before it got evicted from the Mayfair Hotel due to a serious burst water pipe problem in December, 2007.

We both shared an appetizer, which was the smoked salmon with cream cheese and sliced toasted bread. We both agreed that it was very good.

For the main course, I had a rigatoni dish with Italian sausage and spicy red peppers. I had the small order - still pretty substantial - and they do not skimp on both the peppers and the sausage! Yum! He had a rigatoni dish, one that was different, I can't remember exactly right now which, but it had a tomato-based sauce and he liked it very much.

The service was pretty friendly and quick.

I'd definitely go back one day. I asked my sister's BF if he'd take my sister there for lunch or dinner, and he said yes, he would.
    I work across the street and live 2 blocks away... i really like this place and go far too often.
    www.decl.org

OJ's is acceptable but nothing special... although it would do well on whyte.
    www.decl.org

Hit up 'Red Ox Inn' this past friday... my 2nd time there and boy oh boy i need to try to get back more often.

I had french onion soup to start... perfectly balanced

Main was Bacon wrapped venison which may have been cooked to the most perfect level of medium rare i have had.

about $100 for 2 with 2 starters 2 mains and 2 glasses of vino.

service knowledgeable and friendly
    www.decl.org

Any reviews of Unheard Of, or Murietta's? (both on Whyte) Please let me know!

Murietta's is very good... kinda like an Earl's or Keg but nicer, better service, and better food at a slight premium.
    www.decl.org

Murietta's is very nice... I had a friend who worked there for a while, and went for lunch a couple times... nice setting, good food.

Quote Originally Posted by IGNITERS View Post
    The Lingnan!
    Igniters:

I think the Lingnan is owned by the same people who run the famous "Chicken for Lunch" eatery in the basement of Scotia Place.

Chicken for Lunch is to die for, if you like spicy asian food.
    Imagine: a world free of hypothetical situations!

^correct.

CFL is pretty mediocre if you ask me though... and far from spicy. If you want some heat hit up a schezuan place or viet for Bun bo hue
    www.decl.org

^ That's my take on Lingnan/CFL too. It's OK if you haven't moved beyond Americanized Chinese. I'd rather go to a place like Buddy Wonton where the food has more kick and you actually see Asians eating there.

^Sai Woo for Chinese
    www.decl.org

Default Asian Fusion

My BF and I tried Asian Fusion (101 St/105 Ave) Can't remember what used to be there, but they just opened about a month ago.

Funky decor, good ambience, Food was OK - good presentation, VERY good value and great, friendly service. I think it was reviewed in the Journal a few weeks ago - it's definitely worth checking out...

Quote Originally Posted by Jess View Post
    My BF and I tried Asian Fusion (101 St/105 Ave) Can't remember what used to be there, but they just opened about a month ago.

Funky decor, good ambience, Food was OK - good presentation, VERY good value and great, friendly service. I think it was reviewed in the Journal a few weeks ago - it's definitely worth checking out...
    It might be interesting, but that area can get scary when it's dark out. Maybe it'll change once Epcor tower is finished and some of the condos etc start going up in the area.

First One is Always Free

Smile

^correct.

CFL is pretty mediocre if you ask me though... and far from spicy. If you want some heat hit up a schezuan place or viet for Bun bo hue
    I agree!
    How about that Greek Kitchen next to it?
    "100 percent"

First One is Always Free

Smile

OJ's is acceptable but nothing special... although it would do well on whyte.
    Good grub takes a huge effort and in many cases I've had great food in a really bad space.
    Personally - I prefer a combo of great food and great interiors - trust me we have both in Edmonton. In the mean time I'll just keep designing great spaces to go & eat in....
    "100 percent"

First One is Always Free

Default Swordfish

Can anyone recommend a nice place that offers quality swordfish on their menu? I've had it at the Olive Garden down in the states, but it is not on the Olive Garden menu here.
    Thanks

Isn't swordfish listed as a top of food chain high mercury source food now?
    It is difficult to find in most food stores but you might try Billingsgate fish shop on 104 southbound across from Scona High school. They have a restaurant as well as counter service for raw fresh product. Stay TFA if your a PETA proponent !!
    http://www.billingsgate.com/

First One is Always Free

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Lilspark View Post
    Can anyone recommend a nice place that offers quality swordfish on their menu? I've had it at the Olive Garden down in the states, but it is not on the Olive Garden menu here.
    Thanks
    I am not sure if Yiannis on Whyte still has it....they did well with it.
    Remember that it only comes in frozen form to Etown so make sure you eat it in a high turn over restaurant or you'll be sleeping on the water closet!
    "100 percent"

Actually, if you want fresh never frozen 2 days out of the water swordfish it can be obtained at billingsgate, as I used to be a fish monger at the place.You can also get flash frozen swordfish steaks aswell.Just give them a call to see when the next fresh shipment of swordfish is due in...

Marlin steaks are also pretty tasty and they get a fresh shipment every week from Hawaii (wednesdays).

The whole mercury thing is pretty over played, If your not eating the stuff everyday for a year your fine...

I tried Koutouki on Friday night with a large group of people and was blown away. We all went with the sampler (9 course meal featuring their most popular dishes) and I've never been that full in my life. The atmosphere is like nothing else in the city. 10/10

Almost always great food and atmosphere !

^I have a small koutouki roast lamb problem that usually requires a visit a month!!!

My wife loves there chicken souvlaki and shrimp skewer done in greek herbs and spices.

Quote Originally Posted by LindseyT View Post
    I tried Koutouki on Friday night with a large group of people and was blown away. We all went with the sampler (9 course meal featuring their most popular dishes) and I've never been that full in my life. The atmosphere is like nothing else in the city. 10/10
    Which location? The one by Gateway Blvd? (There's three locations in Edmonton alone, I believe)
    Last edited by MikeK; 12-11-2008 at 11:07 AM.

the cosiest (I think most fun as well) is east side of 124 street north of 107 ave
    mmmm keftedes + calimari + lamb .......
    Last edited by Blueline; 12-11-2008 at 12:14 PM.

The south side location. Both Yanni and his wife were present.

Default Pack Rat Louie

The SO and I went to Stop and Shop on Friday after work great for the gifting season but no man's land mostly. (No power tools !)
    We walked to PRLouie and had a nosh and a couple of glasses of bingo.
    This is still a great place and a must try due to great service, a good menu and a very good cellar !

Default The Mac

A group of 6 met this past Sunday for the Mac's Empire room Sunday brunch
    We had not been for a couple of years
    What a great room
    Here's a link

http://www.fairmont.com/macdonald/Gu...mpireStyle.htm

Quote Originally Posted by LindseyT View Post
    Did you partake in that Greek line dance that snakes it's way through the restaurant, kitchen, and outside, where upon re-entering the restaurant the staff are waiting to give you the complimentary shot of zambouka? good times.

Four of us went to the "Wildflower Grill" (matrix hotel building on 107st) for my birthday dinner the other night.

orders:

1. lamb
    2. venison medallions
    3. squash ravioli
    4. beef tenderloin with prawns (me)

The interior is very nice, service was quite above par, and the food overall was stellar. I would very much recommend this for a nice evening out or an event, pricey but worth it.

8.5/10
    www.decl.org

grish

happy birthday.

thank you sir
    www.decl.org

The boyfriend and I went to Sabor (New Portugese Fusion Restaurant in the Boardwalk) Saturday night. We were quite impressed! Food was good, great ambiance and excellent service. We will definitely be back.

Bauernschmaus Restaurant - West Side 99 St and 68 Avenue - wonderful Austrian cooking, good service, homey atmosphere, reasonable prices...

First One is Always Free

The Italian Kitchen in Callingwood (6655 178 Street NW) has some of the best Italian food I've had. It's less expensive that most Italian restaurants but I feel it is one of the best. I feel so strongly about this that my finance and I will be having our wedding reception there at the end of March. The service is not perfect as their server left a few months ago and the restaurant itself could use a bit of a makeover, but since the food is fantastic, it makes up for any potential negatives I could list.

The boyfriend and I went to Sabor (New Portugese Fusion Restaurant in the Boardwalk) Saturday night. We were quite impressed! Food was good, great ambiance and excellent service. We will definitely be back.
    good to hear, i plan to check it out soon
    www.decl.org

I haven't been to A LOT of restaurants but I have some faves. BTW I really dont like Chinese or other Oriental, Indian, Seafood, and stuff like that. Anyways :

Chianti's - Whyte & 105th. I really like the character of this place. It's bustling - vibrant. Anyways the buidling is very nice and the staff are quite nice. The food there has left me mouthwatering to the next day. I realllyy like their pasta.

Fiore Cantina - 109th and 87ave. Kinda like Chianti's but really not. I like the small Italian character of the place along with the food. It isn't the most amazing but it is really nice and it feels very cozy. Prices not bad.

Famoso - 116 and Jasper Avenue NW. I actually went here because of a review on here! Anyways I don't think I'd ever eat that much pizza in 1 sitting than there. It is juicy and authentic. The italian sodas are really good. Each time after the pizza I always get some gelato which is the best I've tasted and a Italian cookie. It is very cool a place to go and I'd be careful of Dinner or lunchie times as they get quite busy.

DeLux - in that new crestwood strip. Anyways I really enjoy this place. the burgers are juicy and the fries are just well DELICIOUS. Anyways, I really like the shopping carts they use for the "A La Carte", very cool.

The Three Banana's - best Café I have been to - oh its on Churchill Square by the central lib. I like love their mini pizzas and their iced coffee. Very good and the building is very modern and it looks like a nice place to go alone or with a pack of 25. Seems like you can get internet their so it may be an internet café.

Blue Plate - 104th St north of Jasper. I usualyy do not like burnt burgers but this place is nice. It;s juicy and full. I like their fries too. Sorry I havent had anything but the burger and fry. Anyways the interiors are very vintage and chic. I would definitely hit this place for a casual night.

Royal Pizza - i dunno which location is best, there is one in the West End one on Whyte and i think one in the North and a bunch of others. Anyways, very good although sometimes I don't like the staff. I'ts cozy yet chic. Anyways, the food...is very nice but too filling. I don't mind it cause its nice leftovers. The pizza comes packed with watever you order and those toppings are very good.

I am also thinking of trying Axis, the java express, Sicilian, the Sorrentino's, 100, and café Dabar. Are they any good, are they pricey, do I need to dress up, will I look like an ***** outcast for being so young?
    ----

Quote Originally Posted by edmontonenthusiast View Post
    I haven't been to A LOT of restaurants but I have some faves. BTW I really dont like Chinese or other Oriental, Indian, Seafood, and stuff like that. Anyways :

Chianti's - Whyte & 105th. I really like the character of this place. It's bustling - vibrant. Anyways the buidling is very nice and the staff are quite nice. The food there has left me mouthwatering to the next day. I realllyy like their pasta.

Fiore Cantina - 109th and 87ave. Kinda like Chianti's but really not. I like the small Italian character of the place along with the food. It isn't the most amazing but it is really nice and it feels very cozy. Prices not bad.

Famoso - 116 and Jasper Avenue NW. I actually went here because of a review on here! Anyways I don't think I'd ever eat that much pizza in 1 sitting than there. It is juicy and authentic. The italian sodas are really good. Each time after the pizza I always get some gelato which is the best I've tasted and a Italian cookie. It is very cool a place to go and I'd be careful of Dinner or lunchie times as they get quite busy.

DeLux - in that new crestwood strip. Anyways I really enjoy this place. the burgers are juicy and the fries are just well DELICIOUS. Anyways, I really like the shopping carts they use for the "A La Carte", very cool.

The Three Banana's - best Café I have been to - oh its on Churchill Square by the central lib. I like love their mini pizzas and their iced coffee. Very good and the building is very modern and it looks like a nice place to go alone or with a pack of 25. Seems like you can get internet their so it may be an internet café.

Blue Plate - 104th St north of Jasper. I usualyy do not like burnt burgers but this place is nice. It;s juicy and full. I like their fries too. Sorry I havent had anything but the burger and fry. Anyways the interiors are very vintage and chic. I would definitely hit this place for a casual night.

Royal Pizza - i dunno which location is best, there is one in the West End one on Whyte and i think one in the North and a bunch of others. Anyways, very good although sometimes I don't like the staff. I'ts cozy yet chic. Anyways, the food...is very nice but too filling. I don't mind it cause its nice leftovers. The pizza comes packed with watever you order and those toppings are very good.

I am also thinking of trying Axis, the java express, Sicilian, the Sorrentino's, 100, and café Dabar. Are they any good, are they pricey, do I need to dress up, will I look like an ***** outcast for being so young?
    edmontonenthusist, I like how you operate!

I agree with all your choices.

DeLux -- try their hot dogs. OMG, I love them at Original Joe's but DeLux's are even better. The Kobe burger here is well worth the cost!

Try Axis, Java Express, Sicilian Pasta Kitchen (any location) by all means.

Also, check out The Hat and I do not think you will look like an ***** for your age. Sicilian Pasta Kitchen is not my favourite as my expereinces there have been hit and miss but all the other places are consistent.

Thanks Debra. Think I am fitting in pretty well. Anyways I shall definitely try the Hot Dogs, lol . Alright I will check Kobe as well if I have the money.
    ----

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Famoso Neapolitan Pizzeria at Jasper and 118. Used to be a Badass Jacks, right beside that On The Rocks bar. I am developing an addiction to their pizza. Looks like they're already looking at franchising it out.
    the pizza IS amazing..... same with the Tiramisu!!!
    i love lamp

Quote Originally Posted by sdimedru View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Famoso Neapolitan Pizzeria at Jasper and 118. Used to be a Badass Jacks, right beside that On The Rocks bar. I am developing an addiction to their pizza. Looks like they're already looking at franchising it out.
    the pizza IS amazing..... same with the Tiramisu!!!
    where is that?
    ----

Its in the quote that you showed. Famosa Neapolitan Pizza at 118th and Jasper
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

Quote Originally Posted by booster View Post
    Its in the quote that you showed. Famosa Neapolitan Pizza at 118th and Jasper
    I have been to famoso because of my earlier post i am talking about Tiramusu.
    ----

I am assuming that "Tiramusu" is a dish they serve at Famoso, or that's how I interpreted the post. But I don't see it on their online menu.

Tiramasu is a desert. Made with chocolate and caramel usually.

Never mind, I did find tiramasu on their menu. But the way it's been separated from the rest of the dessert menu, it's easy to miss it.

Bauernschmaus - great Austrian food

^whups i read it wrong.
    ----

Default Not Really a Restaurant, right?

Has anyone tried the new meal planner and studio, d"Lish on 124 and 104 ave as yet?
    http://www.dlish.ca/index.php

As I do not think there has been a review ...

Mucho Burrito - pretty good food IMO. They make the food right there with fresh ingredients. Little pricey but worth it because it is so delicious. The staff are nice and the desserts are awesome.
    ----

Sobeys Urban Fresh - 104 st and Jasper ave. I know you wouldn't think a grocer a place to have a nice meal but you're wrong. Very nummy. Not really a dinner place but great for lunch and/or brunch. Pretty good prices. They have some fresh made sandwiches, panini's, lasagnas, Chinese food, salads, oysters, etc. all very good. Grab a small bag of chips or a fresh snack from the bakery and a Coke and you're good. Just pay for it and exist and then there's a small enterence on Jasper ave where you enter at the bar and to the left would be a sit down area. Gotta say real nice. I've only been there twice (for lunch) but seriously I've had the best sandwiches there.

Java Express - jasper ave and 104st, pretty good coffee IMO. Well made and very fresh. The muffins are also reaaaally good and their Italian soda is very good.

Urban Diner - went there recently, 102 ave and 125st. The food was pretty good and hearty that's for sure. But their menu didn't explain stuff like there is no refills on pop which IMO is a rip off for 2.25 when it costs 50 c to make. Not to mention the waiters take a while to come to your table. Probably won't go back, despite the food.

Will prob try Sicilian, Route 99, and Chicago Deep Dish Pizza in the next little while.
    ----

I really enjoy "Murrieta's" on Whyte and "Violino" in the old La Spaga space.
    Edmontonian and proud of it!

good to hear, i plan to check it out soon
    Had a chance to eat at Sabor Divino and wow. All the comments above and more. Boardwalk [10220-103 Street].

IanO, check it out as soon as you can, it will be worthwhile!

Had a chance to eat at Sabor Divino and wow. All the comments above and more. Boardwalk [10220-103 Street].

IanO, check it out as soon as you can, it will be worthwhile!
    Is it pricey?

^a little, but on par with say ric's, hardware, manor house etc.

$20-40
    www.decl.org

Meh, that's not too bad. I guess I'll have to check it out some evening.

google is amazing...

http://www.sabordivino.ca/
    www.decl.org

I decided to check out Sabor Divino last night - had a caiparinha (a Brazilian mixed drink) and an appy of some of the fattest shrimps I had ever seen here in Edmonton. Both weren't bad at all. I like the decor inside, especially the lounge.

We were there Saturday Nice decor
    Interestig menu however we both questioned if this was either traditional or a good sampling of Portugese fare. My SO felt that the menu was a little limited and was not left of "How will I narrow down which of all of these great things that I'd really like to have ?" We are both sure that they will review the menu soon as they have only been open forr 6 (?) weeks.
    It was wonderfull to have the pianist !!!
    Service was also very good
    We will be back with friends
    We hope they can survive the club next door

Hit Sabor last night...

atmosphere - 9/10 - beautiful space, inviting, warm, and the piano is wonderful.
    service - 9/10 - friendly, knowledgable, respectful
    food - 8.5/10 - we shared italian sausage in a ragu which was delicious, had 1 beef tenderloin in cream and veggie sauce cooked perfectly, and 1 lobster/jumbo shrimp taggliatelle.

ordered a nice bottle of red

$150 with tip and well worth it IMO

had no room for dessert but will be back as it looked yummy
    www.decl.org

I wasn't aware of this place, SABOR DIVINO. Thanks for the link, Ian. Looks great, and I hope they do well.

Interesting to see Christian Mena as Maitre d'. That guy is a hell of an entertainer, and can sing his butt off. I also see where he sings a couple of songs on weekend nights, alongside the house piano (which may mean they have a piano player?). I'll make sure to check it out.

Christian has performed with a few Edmonton bands, including Maracuja. I think he also moved to NYC for awhile to assume the lead singing role in "Rent".
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

I went to Kai Asian Grill lastnight and wasn't overly impressed with the food... I would say the food is insanely overpriced considering the quality was mediocre. I really didn't appreciate the ditzy serving staff pushing their fake titties in my face either. The decorating was phenomenal though. Overall I would give it a 6.5/10.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    I really didn't appreciate the ditzy serving staff pushing their fake titties in my face either.
    Yeah... I don't like that sort of thing either... nope, not by a long shot.

Where is this place located again? And are they open for lunch? How are the prices?

^ Yeah, I hate that too. I think it's only fair that I check it out in person, over a few visits, before I complain.
    aka Jim Good; "The sooner you fall behind, the more time you have to catch up." - Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by MrOilers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    I really didn't appreciate the ditzy serving staff pushing their fake titties in my face either.
    Yeah... I don't like that sort of thing either... nope, not by a long shot.

Where is this place located again? And are they open for lunch? How are the prices?
    Well you're obviously a str8 male then. It's on the corner of Jasper Ave and 109 Street. They are open for lunch. The prices are very high for the quality of food. I had a butter chicken rice bowl, and the rice looked/tasted like it had been sitting under a heat lamp for about 4 hours. Most of their entrees are around $25-40, with a few items such as their rice bowls in the $14-20 range. Overall the only thing I really enjoyed about the evening was the amazing decor.

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast