Results 2,501 to 2,600 of 3653

Thread: "Must Try" Edmonton restaurants

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

Way to narrow it down pointdexter.

The Belle Rive one on 160 avenue ?

Or the one on 144 avenue ?
    Sorry, 144th

We go about twice a year. On my birthday or just after Christmas and before New Years.
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

C2E Long Term Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    So last Saturday O2s on Whyte closed their ground level section leaving them with the second floor and rooftop patio.

In fact when Top_Dawg popped in last night for Monday Night Football, workmen had already gutted most of the ground floor.

It will take Top_Dawg some getting used to. The bar on the second level is laid out in a relatively small L-shape.

The rest of the room is bigger than Top_Dawg remembered. Up until yesterday he had only been up there once a couple of years ago.

Should work fine.

The kitchen was always on the second floor so it's much better for the poodles who don't have to run food down the stairs any more.

Most of the TV monitors are up and running, and they assured Top_Dawg that the rest will be on line within a day or two.

In a nothing game Detroit beat New Orleans 35 - 27.
    What is going to happen with the ground floor section? Is that going to be leased out to someone else? Repurposed by O2?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I'd rather C2E than work!

No, O2s will not be occupying it at all anymore.

Top_Dawg heard rumours of it being leased to an apparel store.

But those are just rumours.

Retail makes more sense there.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Second floor makes sense. Keep the riffraff away from the general public
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Went to Wildflower Grill on Saturday, superb food and service, I remember why it is one of my favorites. Their elk fettuccine was delicious as well was my filet mignon
    Last edited by Hilman; 22-12-2015 at 03:37 PM.

Tried the new 1st Round in Oliver. Really neat concept for sports enthusiasts such as myself, however the overall product was poorly executed.
    Boneless wings are basically deep fried chicken fingers with whatever sauce you choose just dumped on it. Burgers were excellent though.
    Biggest gripe is the fact the staff has no clue how to work the TV's and audio system. Was there for the Oiler game vs Winnepeg and with Monday night football also on, it was havoc to try and switch audio in intermissions, and took several requests to have TV's changed to the Oiler game.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilman View Post
    Went to Wildflower Grill on Saturday, superb food and service, I remember why it is one of my favorites. Their elk fettuccine was delicious as well was my filet mignon
    I need to get back there over the holidays, always is a good call.
    www.decl.org

1ST RND in Oliver Square after work.

Interior looks pretty slick compared to Hudsons' tired look or Canadian Brewhouse's tackiness, will have to take a closer look next time I'm there. Lots of TVs with various sports, mostly hockey. TV volume was perfect, I find that these sports bars tend to be too loud to converse or too soft to hear the play-by-play.

Decent beer selection (any place that includes Innis & Gunn and Yellowhead is OK in my book), lamb burger was delicious. Service was brisk but unrushed. I give thumbs up to the service by the youthful enthusiastic servers.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^ mmm, Innis & Gunn out of the 3 I like the honey brew one myself.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Sabor tonight, spectacular food and service, the lamb and spinach salad and sablefish with lobster risotto were delish.

What is it with everybody noshing on lamb all of a sudden ?

To Top_Dawg that's a half notch above goat.

Common for fish and chips the other day, delicious and light.
    www.decl.org

I also had fish & chips the other day, at Brits Fish & Chips. Still good. The halibut is good enough for Jehovah!

What are some good places to take someone who's a vegetarian? I'm not one myself but it would be good to know.

BTW does anyone know if It's All Greek To Me in Red Deer is affiliated with the one that was on Rice Howard Way until a couple of years ago?
    http://www.itsallgreektome.ca/

www.decl.org

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Canteen for brunch today, maybe the best in the city.

As for vegetarian, I would second Padmanadi. A lot of people are also fond of Cafe Mosaics on Whyte, although I can't personally attest as I've only been once about a decade ago.

Belgravia Hub today for lunch, hands down one of the best lunches in a long time. Great staff, room and delicious food.

I had the Cubano and mushroom soup, delicious.

Friend had the special, breaded cod, house tartar on a roll with fries and house made ketchup, both very very good.

Took a peak at the dinner menu, cannot wait to try that too.

4.9/5 - only issue was that it was cold inside.

http://www.belhub.com
    www.decl.org

^Have always had excellent food there. It's a bit outside of my usual orbit, though, so I often forget about it as an option.

Sabor again was fabulous Friday night.
    Duck carpaccio and chorizo to start. Both excellent.
    I had the tenderloin - was fantastic and the smashed potatoes are a great accompaniment. Girlfriend had the lamb gnocchi and that was great also.

For drinks I had the Baron de Ley rioja (always a good choice), the Cali zin (can't remember the name) and a killer Old Fashioned to finish it up.

Finally got to Hardware Grill. Been on my list for years. Portions are insane - I could have taken it home and eaten for half a week.

Food was awesome across the board. Wine and cocktails were great. Beer selection is extremely weak. They need to get with the times there. $100 for food and my beer options were mass market and craft-light (owned by mass-market).
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

^great spot, but yes, a bit old school... mind you, I am starting to appreciate that once again.
    www.decl.org

^^ I would think a place like Hardware concentrates more on its wine list than the beer.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Yes, a bit old school... mind you, I am starting to appreciate that once again.
    Speaking of which, the better-half and I both had fantastic steaks at La Ronde this past weekend, the service was impeccable and prompt, respectable portions, and of course the city scape views at night, wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    ^^ I would think a place like Hardware concentrates more on its wine list than the beer.
    There were write-ups about Hardware being one of the first in the city to install Q water. If they put that kind of thought into their water, they can put it into their beer selection. Craft beer and pairings are extremely popular, and leaving it as an afterthought will be to their detriment.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    There were write-ups about Hardware being one of the first in the city to install Q water. If they put that kind of thought into their water, they can put it into their beer selection. Craft beer and pairings are extremely popular, and leaving it as an afterthought will be to their detriment.
    Too funny.....exactly - effort into "Q" water - probably a pretty high markup. Bottled beer has the lowest margins out of draft, wine and spirits.....so no...not everyone cares about craft beer pairings. When me and the trophy wife hit the town....it's all about cocktails and wine. Beer? Can have that at home......

Wine can be had at home too. I don't see your point.

I'm speaking from the point of the customer. I go to places with craft beers and they're packed to the rafters. Hardware was not. I like good food, but if I can't have a good beer with my meal, I'll go elsewhere.

This is correct. The Sabor's, Hardware's and Wildflowers of the world are classic fine dining in that they cater to the crowd that will be eyeing the wine list extensively. To offer a craft beer pairing wouldn't quite be hitting their demographic I don't think.

I would say the Canteen's and Woodwork's are where you would find a more palatable beer offering. And in the interest of full disclosure two of my favorites are Sabor and Woodwork so depending on what experience you are looking for both offer a very good product (albeit for a dollar or two of course).

Quote Originally Posted by Bodmanza View Post
    This is correct. The Sabor's, Hardware's and Wildflowers of the world are classic fine dining in that they cater to the crowd that will be eyeing the wine list extensively. To offer a craft beer pairing wouldn't quite be hitting their demographic I don't think.

I would say the Canteen's and Woodwork's are where you would find a more palatable beer offering. And in the interest of full disclosure two of my favorites are Sabor and Woodwork so depending on what experience you are looking for both offer a very good product (albeit for a dollar or two of course).
    We've been to Sabor many times, while their beer menu is not über-brew geek it's pretty good (better than Hardware) and we've both enjoyed beer and wine pairings with our meals.

They have almost identical beer menus. Neither is inspiring. Sabor has a tap with Yellowhead though, so IMHO Hardware gets a 2/10 and Sabor gets a 3/10. Both are overpriced.

Went to xix in st albert. We had the chef personally cook and prepare a 5 course meal with wine pairings that blew our table away. All food choices were left to the chef to prepare and they didn't disappoint.

Everything was cooked beyond perfection so much so that our friends who refuse to eat anything with mushrooms actually finished their mushroom truffle soup. I'm not sure I've ever seen them eat anything with a sprinkle of mushroom let alone something entirely made from something they refuse to eat.

We couldn't have asked for a better night as even some of the food choices were not available on the menu. The food/experience was easily one of the best dinners we've ever had.

They have almost identical beer menus. Neither is inspiring. Sabor has a tap with Yellowhead though, so IMHO Hardware gets a 2/10 and Sabor gets a 3/10. Both are overpriced.
    We did not pay close attention to their respective beer menu's. Later this year we'll see more locally made beer with some very tasty offerings, based on empirical pints enjoyed with the crew at Situation http://tinyurl.com/Situation-Brewing

Blue Orchid (Jasper and 113 St) for lunch today. Great food, very good service. Hope they do well.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wilson View Post
    We did not pay close attention to their respective beer menu's. Later this year we'll see more locally made beer with some very tasty offerings, based on empirical pints enjoyed with the crew at Situation http://tinyurl.com/Situation-Brewing
    Looking forward to that place for sure. Would love to see a brewpub like that on 124 St or even in a Ritchie-style reimagining north of the Yellowhead somewhere.

I tried the brunch at Daravara this weekend. Very good. Busy. Would definitely go back.

^it is quickly becoming a brunch institution.
    www.decl.org

Blue Plate for their benneduckt, amazing.
    www.decl.org

Someone deleted all of the Select comments/replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Wilson View Post
    Someone deleted all of the Select comments/replies.
    I don't think any were posted in this thread. The Select discussion is still intact, over here: http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/forum...d.php?p=742254

Shanghai 456 for xiao long bao, mmm.
    www.decl.org

I see Love Pizza has opened on Jasper and 109th - anyone been?

Noticed that too yesterday, going to try this weekend.
    www.decl.org

C2E Posting Power

^^ I enjoyed it more than the other fast thin crust pizza place in Boardwalk. The toppings are good, the crust is fresher, and whole grain crust and spicy sauce are nice changes for this sort of thing. A whole pizza is kind of a lot for one person, but not a lot for two, though (at least imo). They do a half pizza, but it's on the kids menu, which is a bit awkward.
    Blog: http://www.stormbrew.ca/ | Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/stormbrew

Has anyone tried Cora near South Ed Common? I went to try it out a few weekends ago around lunch and it was packed to the door. I wonder if it's worth driving back down to try out during a less busy time.
    East of the Rockies, and west of the rest!

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

When it first opened like 6 years ago I went. The same as any other Cora. There aren't enough good breakfast places in this city.

Workshop Eatery in the Mosaic Centre last night for the first time. Decor is ok, service pretty good, food fantastic as I expected. Mostly Alberta ingredients, but menu very accessible. Daily specials, had their pork chops. A bit out of the way, but worth trying.

Open for lunch as well, brunch on the weekends 10-3.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    When it first opened like 6 years ago I went. The same as any other Cora. There aren't enough good breakfast places in this city.
    Aren't there? I would disagree.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    Workshop Eatery in the Mosaic Centre last night for the first time. Decor is ok, service pretty good, food fantastic as I expected. Mostly Alberta ingredients, but menu very accessible. Daily specials, had their pork chops. A bit out of the way, but worth trying.

Open for lunch as well, brunch on the weekends 10-3.
    Was there last night, nice decor, odd vibe, excellent appys, wicked building

http://theworkshopeatery.com
    Last edited by IanO; 03-02-2016 at 10:01 AM.
    www.decl.org

Not everyone is capable of standing around for 1.5 hours waiting to be seated. If there are hour long lineups to eat at most good breakfast places, I would argue there are not enough decent breakfast places around to fill the need. I don't have time to spend hours in line for the luxury of eating in your "insert name here" restaurant. Nobody should have to. Reservations, walkins or some other choice is usually how I roll.

^I don't do lines either, but there many options where you don't need to line-up that serve good stuff... but more located around Whyte, Downtown, 124st, 118ave, 99st.
    www.decl.org

C2E Continued Contributor

Not everyone is capable of standing around for 1.5 hours waiting to be seated. If there are hour long lineups to eat at most good breakfast places, I would argue there are not enough decent breakfast places around to fill the need. I don't have time to spend hours in line for the luxury of eating in your "insert name here" restaurant. Nobody should have to. Reservations, walk-ins or some other choice is usually how I roll.
    Breakfast is funny. People flock to Cora's like it is the first place to think breakfast can be served at a grade higher than Humpty's/Denny's, when in reality there are plenty of places that serve decent breakfast. As Ian mentioned, there are plenty of gems more centrally located within the city, but even beyond that, lots of hotel restaurants (central or not) serve great breakfasts and even typical chain-dinner resto's (think Earl's, Milestone's) can put together a decent brunch. Usually both of the above options have plenty of capacity.
    Once people, mostly out in the burbs, get past the idea of a breakfast-only-restaurant-in-a-parking-lot, there are plenty of good options, imo.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Cora has line ups?

Quote Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
    Not everyone is capable of standing around for 1.5 hours waiting to be seated. If there are hour long lineups to eat at most good breakfast places, I would argue there are not enough decent breakfast places around to fill the need. I don't have time to spend hours in line for the luxury of eating in your "insert name here" restaurant. Nobody should have to. Reservations, walk-ins or some other choice is usually how I roll.
    Breakfast is funny. People flock to Cora's like it is the first place to think breakfast can be served at a grade higher than Humpty's/Denny's, when in reality there are plenty of places that serve decent breakfast. As Ian mentioned, there are plenty of gems more centrally located within the city, but even beyond that, lots of hotel restaurants (central or not) serve great breakfasts and even typical chain-dinner resto's (think Earl's, Milestone's) can put together a decent brunch. Usually both of the above options have plenty of capacity.
    Once people, mostly out in the burbs, get past the idea of a breakfast-only-restaurant-in-a-parking-lot, there are plenty of good options, imo.
    There are also plenty of places in 'the burbs' that serve a good breakfast/brunch. Of course, knowing that would require one to actually see past the stereotype of people outside the core being content with mediocrity.

Nongbu off whyte, excellent pork shoulder, tasty pork belly rice.
    www.decl.org

Prairie Noodle Bowl last night, finally. There was a wait, but my party of two got in right away. Food was great, will definitely be back. I do hope they start a daily or weekly special ramen though, as the limited menu could quickly bore would-be regulars.

Izakaya Ikki for a sake celebration last night, tasty snacks, great staff, fun night.
    www.decl.org

Accent on whyte continues to deliver, mornet just so damn good.
    www.decl.org

Common last night for their pork duo, very nice.
    www.decl.org

Thread title suggestion: "Ian tells us where he eats"

Last night I went to Love Pizza on 109st (http://lovepizza.ca). The meatatarian was very tasty, excellent spice level and flavour, however the Old MacDonald disappointed and was flavourless. $11.95 was decent value though.
    www.decl.org

I'm told Soy and Pepper, 112 St and Jasper Ave opened yesterday (cannot confirm) and through Feb. 13 will be open for short hours. The primary opening will be on Feb. 15. I will try to get there to try it. I'm no foodie, just like food.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Ate at Sambol Sri Lankan Kitchen this evening at #2, 9261 34 Avenue. Amazing food. Hard to find as its a bit hidden but the food and service were amazing.

Accent ?

Does anyone go there ?

Top_Dawg trots by there three times a week.

Rarely does he see anybody in there.

When Top_Dawg does spot a table it's invariably some frumpy fifty year old hag sitting there with what looks like her even more haggard friend.

Probly bitching bitterly about their husbands.

Whose money they're gladly spending.

IanO, is this a cry for ?

Perhaps you should quit trolling these depressing sad azz joints, go next door to O2's, buy Top_Dawg a coupla beer, and hope he shows you how to up your game.

^LOL, O2 is barely surviving on your patronage alone
    www.decl.org

Last night I went to Love Pizza on 109st (http://lovepizza.ca). The meatatarian was very tasty, excellent spice level and flavour, however the Old MacDonald disappointed and was flavourless. $11.95 was decent value though.
    Oh man Ian, High calorie, gut of cast iron diet.

just wait till your metabolism and gut changes..

You'll be the Big BurkeBeaner..
    Last edited by Replacement; 12-02-2016 at 04:38 PM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

While I admit, its not exactly fine dining or anything but the wife and I went to Cora's over here on 137th for brunch. The place was packed, very busy. We had the basic breakfast.

Service was very good, meals were good although I'm not a fan of potato wedgies for breakfast, for our budget it was something new. My wife found some of the potato wedgies uncooked on her plate. I thought they were, ok.on a scale from 1-5, I'd rate it a 3.5. We both agreed to come back. The photo taken was just as they were closing.

A few of us did characters tonight. As usual the food was fantastic... Enjoyed the fact it wasn't a set menu for valentines.

Don Day for some Korean snacks yesterday, nice little hole in the wall.

http://donday.ca
    www.decl.org

^ Thanks for reminding me Ian, not on the paper-route regardless nice people and fare.

www.decl.org

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Graham Hicks had some high praise for Cured Wine Bar:
    http://www.edmontonsun.com/2016/02/1...ed-charcuterie

Thread title suggestion: "Ian tells us where he eats"
    Thought i was in the northlands thread for a moment

Has anyone been to the new downtown State & Main yet? It's been fairly busy most evenings. Looks like they are open for breaky too but I never see any patrons in there during that time. No reviews on yelp or zomato yet.

Went last week one night after work. Not very busy, but steady enough for later on a Thursday.

Busy tonight when I went by, what a difference that makes to the corner.
    www.decl.org

Lock Stock this AM for an espresso and egg/cheese tartine, delicious.
    www.decl.org

Tartine ?

Quelle panache !

Sounds to Top_Dawg like IanO had a coffee and McMuffin.

And got soaked for twenty buck.

Welcome back?
    www.decl.org

As long as it's a McTartine, you won't get ridiculed.
    www.decl.org

Corso, so good. Reminds me what pasta can be, let alone great staff.
    www.decl.org

Every time I see your food posts I think "You must be gaining weight." Eating all these rich meals, although tasty, gotta be adding to the waistline. Sorry, can't help myself.

Balance my friend.
    www.decl.org

Feb 23 - I had a sandwich for lunch. I made it at home with ingredients sourced from Costco and Superstore.

The intent of this thread is to let people know of great places to go that you have recently been to.
    www.decl.org

Common for fish and chips the other day, delicious and light.
    Belgravia Hub today for lunch, hands down one of the best lunches in a long time. Great staff, room and delicious food.

I had the Cubano and mushroom soup, delicious.

Friend had the special, breaded cod, house tartar on a roll with fries and house made ketchup, both very very good.

Took a peak at the dinner menu, cannot wait to try that too.

4.9/5 - only issue was that it was cold inside.

http://www.belhub.com
    Blue Plate for their benneduckt, amazing.
    Shanghai 456 for xiao long bao, mmm.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    Workshop Eatery
    Was there last night, nice decor, odd vibe, excellent appys, wicked building

http://theworkshopeatery.com
    Nongbu off whyte, excellent pork shoulder, tasty pork belly rice.
    Izakaya Ikki for a sake celebration last night, tasty snacks, great staff, fun night.
    Common last night for their pork duo, very nice.
    Don Day for some Korean snacks yesterday, nice little hole in the wall.

http://donday.ca
    Lock Stock this AM for an espresso and egg/cheese tartine, delicious.
    This is the last 10 days. Are these really "Must Try!"? Looks more like your personal Twitter feed for where you've eaten.
    Last edited by Chmilz; 24-02-2016 at 08:14 AM.

Yeah, how dare Ian or anyone else tells us about some great restaurants to try in this city?

This thread title is a bit of a misnomer. It should just be "Restaurant Reviews" or something. Nobody is actually following the "must try" criteria --- it's obviously far too narrow.

re: waistline and eating out too much.

Easy way to figure that one out. Cloth measuring tape around the widest circumference part of your waist (should be around top of hip bone). If you're creeping beyond 35-37 inches (typical healthy male waist size range given by most organizations), you're eating out too much. Pants waist size is not reliable :P
    Last edited by Pete7; 24-02-2016 at 11:43 AM.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

The Common? Where is The Common? I know about the Fish and chips shop on Stony plain road & 124th street. Any good Chinese take away's in town?

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    The Common? Where is The Common? I know about the Fish and chips shop on Stony plain road & 124th street. Any good Chinese take away's in town?

Common is on the west side of 109st between 99ave and 100ave downtown, just north of the high-level bridge. Really delicious food. I work right around there and have ate there a handful of times and food always on point and the menu keeps changing on a fairly regular basis.

^One of the better 'gastropubs' in the core imo.
    www.decl.org

Top_Dawg was there once.

Totally not for him.

Way, way, over the top cornholio vibe.

Top_Dawg can see why it would be a huge hit with the man-man love apologists.

To each their own.

^on that note, the Common is similar to sugarbowl. More interesting menu. Also music and dancing etc some nights although I have only been during the day and early evening so I can't say much about it.

Great food, fun place fri, sat nights, good service/staff.
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Thanks guys, looking for a place to take the wife out on her birthday mid next month. Not crazy about sea food but we'll give this a go.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Thanks guys, looking for a place to take the wife out on her birthday mid next month. Not crazy about sea food but we'll give this a go.
    Check the menu before you go. They change from winter to summer and I don't know when they make the change. While the winter menu is generally robust and delicious, the summer menus the past two summers didn't resonate well with me, and I'll generally eat anything. I think this is the only place I can think of where I've ordered a beer and, after looking over the summer menu, left to eat somewhere else.

Excellent meal at La Ronde last evening, lot's of beef: Tartare followed by Chateaubriand cooked to perfection. Compliments to the floor manager, impeccable service, so far this year the best we've enjoyed in Edmonton. Hipster-free too must be the spinning altitude.

Avenue's best restaurant list for 2016
    http://www.avenueedmonton.com/March-2016/BR2016/

Page 26 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast