Results 2,901 to 3,000 of 3362

Thread: "Must Try" Edmonton restaurants

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    ^^^

Sous-vided ?

Ooh-la-la !

Quelle panache.
    It's the name of a cooking technique that you've probably experienced even if they didn't tell you. Very common way for restaurants to do pork as they can hold the meat at temperature for hours without overcooking it. Home units are affordable now and I've had one since last spring. Vacuum seal the meat and put the bag in temperature controlled water. The 48 hour ribs I've been making are amazing. For meat like bison it can tender it up while keeping it moist and not overcooking it.
    joking aside it is delicious. Kind of a variation on slow or pressure cooking with somewhat similar effect. You can buy the boil bags that seal in all those savory juices. I'm getting hungry..
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I'd rather C2E than work!

Boil in a bag is also not accurate as you should never get near boiling temperatures (the highest temp I've used is 74C but do steak at around 54C) and it's not just in a bag, it's vacuum sealed. You don't even need special bags, you can do it in ziplock bags if you carefully get all the air out. I just use a standard vacuum sealer though. It's a technique developed by French cooks int eh 70's so it has a french name.

Tonight I've got some ribs I already cooked and froze that I'm throwing back in the water for a couple of hours for dinner.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

Boil in a bag is also not accurate as you should never get near boiling temperatures (the highest temp I've used is 74C but do steak at around 54C) and it's not just in a bag, it's vacuum sealed. You don't even need special bags, you can do it in ziplock bags if you carefully get all the air out. I just use a standard vacuum sealer though. It's a technique developed by French cooks int eh 70's so it has a french name.

Tonight I've got some ribs I already cooked and froze that I'm throwing back in the water for a couple of hours for dinner.
    Out of curiosity how does this fly with the internal temp typically needed to heat meat to guidelines?

Some different process seems to be at work here that doesn't require the same degree of heat that say barbecue, or oven, frying etc would.

OT, but interesting topic.

Thanks for the information. Did not know that this was lower temp cooking method.

This would really be conducive to some earth friendly solar heating ovens and such. Neat method.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Our staff party was at Ampersand 27 this year and while what they served us were not, for the most part, their regular menu items it was very, very good. Particularly the braised bison short ribs which, I checked, were sous-vided so they were moist and pulled apart easily. Going to plan a trip there to try the regular menu with the wife.
    We went to Ampersand 27 for our anniversary. Lunch this time as that's the only time that would work sans baby sitting.
    There was no one in the place. This was a Tuesday. I've been wanting to hit the place up for a while. Honestly, we were underwhelmed. I'm sure the dinner menu is great, but the lunch was average. They did whip up a nice virgin cocktail for my wife - cost less than the iced tea i had.

And the decor...no real theme, just seems like its cobbled together from left over items from a decade ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Out of curiosity how does this fly with the internal temp typically needed to heat meat to guidelines?
    Food safety is a function of time and temperature. The guidelines are designed to be ***** proof so they are the temperature required to kill bacteria instantly. Longer times at lower temperatures will serve the same function:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/t...east.html#safe

How well done a piece of meat is is also a function of temperature rather than time. So if you can hold a steak at 60C for a couple of hours it will still be medium rare and red inside. The benefit is the longer cooking time tenderizes the meat.

We cook ribs, chicken, pork loins, and steak with it. I've found steak trickier but I'm getting a handle on it.

And sous vide is an excellent way to make cheaper cuts of meat taste like magic, even better than expensive cuts. The slow, even heat breaks down connective tissues (very flavourful) throughout the cut without burning or drying. One thing s-v doesn't do is brown meat (carmelize the exterior), so a final toss-and-turn onto a very hot pan or bbq finishes them off very nicely. High-end steak houses have used the method for decades.

I made a temperature controller for my crockpot using a $15 aquarium temp controller. Other DIYers use one or two temp controllers and immersion heaters in a camping cooler to cook in volume.
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

Food safety is a function of time and temperature. The guidelines are designed to be ***** proof so they are the temperature required to kill bacteria instantly. Longer times at lower temperatures will serve the same function:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/t...east.html#safe

How well done a piece of meat is is also a function of temperature rather than time. So if you can hold a steak at 60C for a couple of hours it will still be medium rare and red inside. The benefit is the longer cooking time tenderizes the meat.

We cook ribs, chicken, pork loins, and steak with it. I've found steak trickier but I'm getting a handle on it.
    That's what I have suspected but I've never seen the rundown in a chart like that before. Instead of this, public health guidelines have made more of a habit of informing on requisite internal temperature of meat. Seems like the recommendations have been overkill, and I can see why that is, but lower temperature cooking of meats is more flavorful and will allow the meat to stay more succulent, tender, juicy. Have you tried the technique with fish? We often poach in a steamer as I feel that is a way to limit overcooking but again that's with boiling water. Would be interesting to do the bag technique with lower temps.

We're not big fish eaters so I haven't tried it with fish. There are recipes out there so it is done.

The higher temps are specfied for regular cooking in order to get the internal temps right, whereas sous vide uses a longer period closer to the desired internal temp to make the temp consistent all the way through and break down connective tissues. And overcooking is usually not so much a problem because nothing burns. At worst it turns to mush but that takes some serious overcooking.

Its probably around here someplace but has anyone ever tried the Underground tap and grill? Its been right under my nose for a long time. Is it any good?
    Mom said I should not talk to cretins!

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Its probably around here someplace but has anyone ever tried the Underground tap and grill? Its been right under my nose for a long time. Is it any good?
    Good food with large portions. Reasonably priced from what I remember. Excellent beer selection.

Quote Originally Posted by envaneo View Post
    Love Underground. Get the Green Onion Cake sandwich. It's a bit messy, but it's awesome and unique to them.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Yeah, I quite like Underground as well. Far better beer selection than Craft. Food menu isn't as large, but everything I've tried there has been good. Bit of a hidden gem.

Food at The Underground is good.

Sometimes very good.

They often get slammed at lunch but there are no issues with service.

As one would expect the vast majority of the beer is hog pi$$.

The beers Top_Dawg has tried are either downright rancid or taste like cheap cologne.

Stick to whatever Alley Kat they happen to have as that is by far the best of a pi$$ poor lot.

At one time they had both Alley Kat Main Squeeze and Full Squeeze which were the only beers Top_Dawg would classify as good.

Of course last few times Top_Dawg was there they didn't carry either of them any more.

It is a good time to go there now envaneo.

Top_Dawg was dragged down there by the bulls on Friday and he noticed that one of the escalators is undergoing repair.

Access and egress are a bit of a pain in the azz, so to compensate they have discounted all menu items and beer during these repairs.

Bon appetit !

So Top_Dawg spent last Friday night up on the north side because he was up there to check on Auntie_Dawg's place.

For something different he got liquored up at Moxie's in Christie's Corner.

When Top_Dawg was getting poured into a cab late at night, he seems to remember a big azz Smitty's restaurant being across the parking lot.

Was Top_Dawg imagining things ?

And if not, what was in that spot before ?

Top_Dawg rarely travels that far north any more so he isn't really all that familiar with the area.

Any intel ?

I don't believe a Smitty's was ever in that parking lot.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

C2E Posting Power

Bundok in Fox is finally open, will be there Friday to see how it stacks up
    YEG lifer. Phillips liver.

I'm curious to know how 6 bucks for bread & butter works.

Yeah, no kidding spuds.

But nothing surprises Top_Dawg anymore.

Last year Top_Dawg noticed that many places began charging $7+ for a mere bowl of soup.

Must be enough cabbageheads out there who will pay.

According to their Facebook page and the latest Yelp review, The Alberta Hotel Bar & Kitchen is closed again. https://www.facebook.com/AlbertaHotelBK

.... he seems to remember a big azz Smitty's restaurant being across the parking lot.

Was Top_Dawg imagining things ?

Any intel ?
    Yeah, you drank too much. jk.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    I'm curious to know how 6 bucks for bread & butter works.
    I am equally confused with that one... seems a bizarre menu option. Either give it for free (like many places) or not at all.

According to their Facebook page and the latest Yelp review, The Alberta Hotel Bar & Kitchen is closed again. https://www.facebook.com/AlbertaHotelBK
    I'm not sure what's going on with that space. I dug around on Twitter and found a tweet from a former employee who mentioned that new ownership was taking over, but who knows what's going on: https://twitter.com/Jfonteyne/status/815341063590346752

C2E Long Term Contributor

Is the Alberta Hotel cursed or something? Is it the ownership?
    Maybe at this point they should just bite the bullet and open a Milestones or something.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Ya I think they are trying to be too high end.

C2E Posting Power

It really is a shame. Much like the Stage 104 space on 104, this is a great space. Well, the bar is at least. Love the classic style.

AB Hotel is being taken over by a well known group.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones

That's not the problem. Unfortunately the couple groups that have made a stab at the space have been fairly amateur.

I thought the first group was the Hardware Grill folks? Not who I'd think is amateur. And they closed over a lease dispute or something like that, no?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Sorry, forgot about them. That was some sort of lease dispute. The group that took over after is who I was thinking of.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones

That's not the problem. Unfortunately the couple groups that have made a stab at the space have been fairly amateur.
    Amateur wasn't the issue. Having a place that has just normal types of food is the issue. Both incarnations of the place have been snot nosed we make our own charcuterie and cheese type hovels that attract hipster food snobbies for all of 3 weeks until they find their next roosting hole of the day.

I tried both of these attempts and there was literally nothing on the menu I would want to have or to pay for. How about some normal food with a little more cross appeal? That would get people into a place on Jasper Avenue.

Also as I've mentioned often the space is weird. The bar room looks fine. What one expects it to look like. Whoever designed the dining section totally lost what the space could be. Instead its cheap furniture, cheap wall coverings, and not looking anything like the bar. So in effect its premium prices in the dining section and very little ambience.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    I thought the first group was the Hardware Grill folks? Not who I'd think is amateur. And they closed over a lease dispute or something like that, no?
    The lease dispute in essence was about money, as it usually is, and with the Hardware Grill not feeling like they were making enough in the space to justify the cost. The place was poorly run even then. Weak opening hours, place was closed lots of the time one would expect such a place to be open and this was justified with the "we're real busy and we value our staff and don't want to be open all the time"

But they wanted a lease price that would reflect a place that wasn't open most of the time I guess. What a way to run a business.

If you got a place plum in the middle of downtown on Jasper Avenue you should be open almost all the time. That's a starting point. None of this we're closed on Sundays, Mondays, closed at 9 etc.

This place would work great as a quick supper joint. Something about the location could make most advantage of walking past foot traffic. As Edmonton becomes more of a tourist place (hopefully) we need a spot like that there. Its a good location, just not a destination location.

Part of the problem is Alberta "Hotel" leasing in general. Is most of the building still sitting empty?

C2E Posting Power

Tried Bundok last night, really liked it. Our server was very friendly, albeit a bit awkward, but the overall ambiance (especially with the huge front windows) is really nice.
    Had the fried chicken skins - our favorite of the night
    Merguez tartines - very good
    Gnochhi parisienne - very good also
    Half pork ribs - excellent
    Soup - can't recall what it was, but for a non soup eater, it was delicious

We each had two glasses of wine and a cocktail to test the bartender (old fashioned was right on point), plus dessert, and bill was $150 before tip.

Will certainly be back.

Fried Chicken skins? Yikes.

As for the soup if you don't know what it is...

Amateur wasn't the issue. Having a place that has just normal types of food is the issue. Both incarnations of the place have been snot nosed we make our own charcuterie and cheese type hovels that attract hipster food snobbies for all of 3 weeks until they find their next roosting hole of the day.

I tried both of these attempts and there was literally nothing on the menu I would want to have or to pay for. How about some normal food with a little more cross appeal? That would get people into a place on Jasper Avenue.

Also as I've mentioned often the space is weird. The bar room looks fine. What one expects it to look like. Whoever designed the dining section totally lost what the space could be. Instead its cheap furniture, cheap wall coverings, and not looking anything like the bar. So in effect its premium prices in the dining section and very little ambience.
    Wow. “Snot nosed.” I would love to know what the line is between normal and “snot nosed.”

Sincerely,
    Inquiring Food Hipster Snobby

Quote Originally Posted by IcedTea View Post

Wow. “Snot nosed.” I would love to know what the line is between normal and “snot nosed.”

Sincerely,
    Inquiring Food Hipster Snobby
    Obviously I'm being intentionally flippant. No hipsters were harmed in the writing of that post. But both incarnations in that place have had very limited menu offerings that cater to a pretty select crowd. Not a mainstream crowd. If your market niche as a restaurant is relatively small then the potential clientele is limited.

Defend the respective menus if you will, but they were not expansive, and did not cater to any wide range of cuisine. My initial impressions of both establishments menus was that this won't work, as stated in realtime in the thread.

Uccellino tonight. Nice. Modern. Space. Food was similar to Corso, ie. bang on if not a bit over the top rich. Service prompt and friendly.

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg
    www.decl.org

^Whats that on the right plate? Deep fried cheese chunks in deep fried cheese sauce?

That's nasty looking. Corrode your arteries in 3 serving steps..

btw the cake on the left looks like a standard pound cake that isn't even sliced properly. What kind of presentation is that, seriously. The way that's on the plate it looks like mice were chewing on it.

This is presentation from one of the "best restaurants in Edmonton" That's the kind of slicing ability I'd expect from a swine swilling truckstop.

Heres a protip. First remove cake from baking pan and THEN slice it.

^Whats that on the right plate? Deep fried cheese chunks in deep fried cheese sauce?

btw the cake on the left looks like a standard pound cake that isn't even sliced properly. What kind of presentation is that, seriously. The way that's on the plate it looks like mice were chewing on it.

This is presentation from one of the "best restaurants in Edmonton" That's the kind of slicing ability I'd expect from a swine swilling truckstop.

Beauty troll.
    Get this guy a prize.

Hey, its pretty bad presentation. Say what you will, it is. Frankly I wouldn't eat the offering on the right if you paid me to do it.

When Iano is saying something like "Over the top rich" (and he has an apparent cast iron stomach) I'll take that at word.

Try this experiment. Leave something in the fridge unattended, uncovered, for a month in your fridge while you go on a Euro holiday. It tends to look like the plate served on the right when you get back.

Finally, those are the plainest plates I've ever seen. Corelle dinnerware might be more appealing.
    Last edited by Replacement; 05-02-2017 at 11:55 AM.

Fantastic meal with friends at Sofra last night. I can't believe I haven't been there before. Everything was super tasty, they have a fantastic grill master in back.

We sat upstairs, but next time will be booking the basement wine bar, it's pretty cool inside. My friends weren't lying when they said it was one of their top 5 favourite restaurants.
    www.decl.org

Gnocchi with ricotta and quite light/delicious, not heavy at all oddly enough. The richness comment was more to due with oil and butter usage which I love and far from a complaint, just 'if anything'.

Dessert had been started on, hence the look, presentation all night was immaculate.

Lighting was intimate so that might be contributing to the photo (iphone btw, not my 810i for those about to comment).
    Last edited by IanO; 05-02-2017 at 12:45 PM.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    Fantastic meal with friends at Sofra last night. I can't believe I haven't been there before. Everything was super tasty, they have a fantastic grill master in back.

We sat upstairs, but next time will be booking the basement wine bar, it's pretty cool inside. My friends weren't lying when they said it was one of their top 5 favourite restaurants.
    One of my favourite places to eat and yet not well-known at all and still hard to get a reso at times. So tasty.
    www.decl.org

C2E Posting Power

Hey, its pretty bad presentation. Say what you will, it is. Frankly I wouldn't eat the offering on the right if you paid me to do it.

When Iano is saying something like "Over the top rich" (and he has an apparent cast iron stomach) I'll take that at word.

Try this experiment. Leave something in the fridge unattended, uncovered, for a month in your fridge while you go on a Euro holiday. It tends to look like the plate served on the right when you get back.

Finally, those are the plainest plates I've ever seen. Corelle dinnerware might be more appealing.
    You'd be an ideal "Yelp" reviewer. Go online and ***** about the "dinnerware" etc and get comped the next time. Kudos to you bud....go get 'er! Or take your culinary prowess and "educate" these laggards on how to "do it right".....lol

Last time I hit Sofra we sat at the low soft seating downstairs, was an absolute blast.

Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post

You'd be an ideal "Yelp" reviewer. Go online and ***** about the "dinnerware" etc and get comped the next time. Kudos to you bud....go get 'er! Or take your culinary prowess and "educate" these laggards on how to "do it right".....lol
    Watch out for the gnocchi with some parm on it, looks like gnocchi with parm on it!
    - replacement

My two cents on Replacement's pasta rant:

1. I've never seen pasta look anything other than a plate of pasta. It just can't really be jazzed up like other dishes
    2. Pasta is horrifically overpriced at restaurants. I can boil linguini from a box, load it with cream, butter, and olive oil, then bury it under parm, and it's no different than the most praised pasta I've found in the city

I'll rarely pay for pasta. Like steak, it's one of the few things I can make at home well enough that kills any justification for paying a factor of 10 more for it at a restaurant.

Edit: Stuffed pastas are the exception. Tortellini, ravioli, cannelloni, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post

1. I've never seen pasta look anything other than a plate of pasta. It just can't really be jazzed up like other dishes
    2. Pasta is horrifically overpriced at restaurants. I can boil linguini from a box, load it with cream, butter, and olive oil, then bury it under parm, and it's no different than the most praised pasta I've found in the city

I'll rarely pay for pasta. Like steak, it's one of the few things I can make at home well enough that kills any justification for paying a factor of 10 more for it at a restaurant.

I'll add to this that pasta dishes can certainly be colorful, they can also be varied. I like loading up some sundried tomato, red, green peppers, spinach, etc on a pasta dish and loading up some color. The plate presentation on those pictures is appalling. White plate, pasta, virtually nothing else on the dish and finish with alfredo sauce or whatever and some sprinkled parm. So a dish with no color, no texture, no variety, served up in February in Edmonton. I would toss it back. The Gnochi (indistinguishable with all the melted cheese on the plate (I would hate cleaning that plate aside from looking at it) manages to somehow look worse in presentation.

Presentation is something. Pictures lack smell, taste. When plates like that are pictured all we have to go on is appearance. Unfortunately the look is uniformly bad. We eat with our eyes as well. Apparently this notion isn't as well understood by some chefs.

Completely agree with you in anycase that pasta at top price in a restaurant here is a bad deal.

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post

Gnocchi with ricotta and quite light/delicious, not heavy at all oddly enough. The richness comment was more to due with oil and butter usage which I love and far from a complaint, just 'if anything'.

Dessert had been started on, hence the look, presentation all night was immaculate.

Lighting was intimate so that might be contributing to the photo (iphone btw, not my 810i for those about to comment).
    With all due respect Ian, and just kidding around, but I could see you being agreeable to deep fried battered pound of butter on a stick.

jebus, I just started the oncoming years carny treat..

^no thanks...
    www.decl.org

I'll add to this that pasta dishes can certainly be colorful, they can also be varied. I like loading up some sundried tomato, red, green peppers, spinach, etc on a pasta dish and loading up some color. The plate presentation on those pictures is appalling. White plate, pasta, virtually nothing else on the dish and finish with alfredo sauce or whatever and some sprinkled parm. So a dish with no color, no texture, no variety, served up in February in Edmonton. I would toss it back. The Gnochi (indistinguishable with all the melted cheese on the plate (I would hate cleaning that plate aside from looking at it) manages to somehow look worse in presentation.

Presentation is something. Pictures lack smell, taste. When plates like that are pictured all we have to go on is appearance. Unfortunately the look is uniformly bad. We eat with our eyes as well. Apparently this notion isn't as well understood by some chefs.

Completely agree with you in anycase that pasta at top price in a restaurant here is a bad deal.
    I had gnocchi sitting on a small side street in Italy that looked about the exact same. Probably the best thing I've ever eaten.
    Good for you, you can throw a bunch of stuff onto your to make it colorful. That has nothing to do with being good.
    Well cooked pasta, a beautiful simple sauce and some nice cheese is revered as a near perfect meal. It doesn't need to be gussied up.
    Your critique is a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by DanC View Post

I had gnocchi sitting on a small side street in Italy that looked about the exact same. Probably the best thing I've ever eaten.
    Good for you, you can throw a bunch of stuff onto your to make it colorful. That has nothing to do with being good.
    Well cooked pasta, a beautiful simple sauce and some nice cheese is revered as a near perfect meal. It doesn't need to be gussied up.
    Your critique is a joke.
    If that's your best ever meal I feel almost sad for you.
    Last edited by Replacement; 06-02-2017 at 12:06 AM.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Enough. I keep wanting to read about new places worth trying a meal at, not this BS.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post
    If you have a very defined and narrow view of what is acceptable in a restaurant, you might want to unsubscribe from a thread that highlights new and exciting foods available at a wide variety of new and established restaurants.
    I've found that the block button makes this message board much more enjoyable.

Bingo.

Next up on my schedule/hit list:

-Bar94
    -Dorinku
    -Baijiu
    -Bundok
    -Otto
    www.decl.org

C2E Posting Power

^^Long since discovered this.

Has anyone been to Nongbu recently? I remember it being on a few "best of" lists but I have never been

^yup, very tasty Korean.
    www.decl.org

Classic.

And looks like mice were chewing on it.

Funny, cause when that jack shack was still upstairs, a couple of the poodles that worked there told Top_Dawg that they would often see mice scurrying across the floor.

Baijiu last night for cocktails and snacks, man did they ever KILL IT! Excellent execution and space.

www.decl.org

Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Couple weeks ago went on a date night hop to check out some places I haven't been to yet:

Northern Chicken for dinner: shared a 6 piece split regular and spicy, with the mac and cheese and a couple beers. Delicious. I mean, it's still just fancy KFC, but prepared better and with actual meat.

Followed up with a few rounds at Match in the casino. The casino definitely raised the bar, and the decor of the eateries is a home run. Service was good, the live entertainment was good, and all screens had the Oilers (away game) on. Overall a great place to catch the game. And gamble, if that's your thing.

Finished the night at Clementine. Over $30 for two cocktails (decidedly not for Dawg's), but the drink I had whisked me away to a different time and place, and I felt like it was actually a bargain. Decor is incredible. They really nailed it. Comments about the ventilation are accurate - it smelled oily and it clung to my clothes for days after. They're aware of it and are looking into a fix.

Overall, one heck of a night. 3/3 places nailed it. Edmonton has come such a long way in the past few years.

They should get Marcel on that. He'd fix em right up.

C2E Posting Power

Finally tried the Manor Friday - everything we had was very good. Appies were prawns, scallops and meatballs. My main was the glazed salmon.

Must say, it was preeetty quiet in there though...

^Love the location and house, but the food was always just ok.

My 'to-do' list. Man o man this is a very different city than even 3-5 years ago...

www.decl.org

Delicious brunch at District today. Smallish portions, but bang on for me and some of the tastiest bacon i have ever had.

www.decl.org

Plainest dishes I've ever seen. Garbage.

Delicious.
    www.decl.org

Grandin Fish N' Chips soft opening tonight, looks great, cannot wait to try a new option for my hood.

@transcendcoffee
    www.decl.org

Cafe Linnea for brunch again. The 'complete galette' was fantastic. Bacon and mimosa recommended

www.decl.org

In the burbs they don't call that a brunch.

What is with this DT urban chic of calling one plate offering a "Brunch"

Bet they charge 29 bucks for that.

With an establishment like this which charges 55bucks for "high tea" featuring "amuse bouche" I'm amused alright.

Another pretentious hangout.

More boring white plates, rabble, roar..
    Last edited by Replacement; 26-02-2017 at 03:08 PM.

brunch
    brən(t)SH/
    noun
    a late morning meal eaten instead of breakfast and lunch.
    www.decl.org

^How to spot a hipster restaurant;

http://www.followmefoodie.com/2012/0...er-restaurant/

Or alternately IanO has been there..
    Last edited by Replacement; 26-02-2017 at 03:21 PM.

I'd far prefer 1 amazing dish than a plateful or two of buffet. The space is one of the most beautiful and complete in this city and the service is attentive and friendly.
    www.decl.org

Hit up Baijiu last night. Everything was fantastic. Best brussel sprouts I've had in the city. Sorry MEAT, you lose that crown.

^^To each his own. I'd prefer the Sawridge on the Gateway among others. the space is also pretty nice there in Creations restaurant. The kind of place that gets rare if any mention on this DT centric thread.

http://www.sawridge.com/our-hotels/e...ne-and-lounge/

Hit up Baijiu last night. Everything was fantastic. Best brussel sprouts I've had in the city. Sorry MEAT, you lose that crown.
    Hey, hit me up with a pm if you have any good Brussel Sprouts recipes or offer it up here. Its the one vegetable I have no idea how to prepare. Mine are always bitter (like crazy bitter) and I've never developed a taste appreciation for it.

Maybe I have the dread "Brussel Sprout gene"
    Last edited by Replacement; 26-02-2017 at 04:00 PM.

^steam or bake then pan fry with finely chopped bacon until slightly browned and a bit of freshly squeezed lemon and pepper.
    www.decl.org

Hey, hit me up with a pm if you have any good Brussel Sprouts recipes or offer it up here. Its the one vegetable I have no idea how to prepare. Mine are always bitter (like crazy bitter) and I've never developed a taste appreciation for it.

Never heard of such a gene, but could happen - I am not similarly afflicted. Don't be afraid to peel them down a couple layers and keep minimal stem, then halve and microwave in an inch of water. Butter and salt and enjoy. Google for a bazillion other ideas.

Thanks guys. I'm a real veggie fan, will try out some of those techniques. I like basically every other vegetable out there, well, except Cauliflower. Not crazy about that either. There is a gene btw that influences the bitter taste of certain foods.

Brussels sprouts can be poached in a single layer in a pan over medium heat with a layer of chicken broth on the bottom of the pan.

Just keep stirring the sprouts around, and add broth as needed until the sprouts are soft. This makes them flavorful without making them greasy (like frying them with bacon does - although that is tasty too).

C2E Posting Power

Never heard of such a gene, but could happen - I am not similarly afflicted. Don't be afraid to peel them down a couple layers and keep minimal stem, then halve and microwave in an inch of water. Butter and salt and enjoy. Google for a bazillion other ideas.
    Not only that gene, but have you heard of the "Hipster" gene? Not so much genetic - more of a "buponic plague" - it hits all millenials whom live in their parents basement and have high levels of self "entitlement." First you grow a huge beard, if it's not already black - it's dyed black - with lots of creams, lotions and tonics. Then you either shave your head bald or do a greasy "comb-over" with shave "part" on the side. Then you get 2 full sleeves done, wear skinny jeans and a bow tie. Don't worry - it only affects millenials - the rest of us are "safe" from this "plague."

C2E Posting Power

^^To each his own. I'd prefer the Sawridge on the Gateway among others. the space is also pretty nice there in Creations restaurant. The kind of place that gets rare if any mention on this DT centric thread.

Hmmmm.....too many reasons to name "why" I wont' patronize that property.....you know where I am going with this.....they have a dish called "the dreamcatcher" - ummmm no thanks.

I was there on Thursday night, and found it similarly wonderful. The food is very much up my alley, so I expected to love it, but I even really liked the cocktails I tried (despite being more of a beer/wine/whiskey person).
    “It’s so beautiful. What sort of bird is that?”

Menu looks interesting. I might have to try it.
    https://baijiuyeg.com/

Hmmmm.....too many reasons to name "why" I wont' patronize that property.....you know where I am going with this.....they have a dish called "the dreamcatcher" - ummmm no thanks.
    Where? I looked through the menus. And, I don't know where you're going with it.

Where? I looked through the menus. And, I don't know where you're going with it.
    Trust me you probably don't want to know. But that was a not even disguised offensive post. The Sawridge Hotel chain afairc is owned by the Samson or Slave Lake band.

http://www.sawridge.com/about-us/

The poster specifically mentions dreamcatcher in the post and I think clearly suggesting why he would not go there.

Unfortunate attitude as well as I think the whole Sawridge hotel chain makes some excellent food(been to 3 locations) and the attention to detail impeccable from organic picked in Alberta herbs (the sage, Juniper, they use there is incredible) and use of Wild Blueberries seen in few other establishments and fresh when in season. I love the menus, food offered, and support the Alberta bred and owned hotel chain. They deserve the solid support imo.

Encourage people to try their menu. They do a superlative job on Brunch and Sunday Prime Rib nights. Both are truly must tries and excellent value for what you're getting.

Last edited by Replacement; 26-02-2017 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Menu looks interesting. I might have to try it.
    https://baijiuyeg.com/
    The room is killer, the food quite good, the cocktails amazing and the VISA points incredible
    www.decl.org

Wow, just looked at menu. This place does seem to be amazing. Some interesting dishes and as usual your recommendations are solid. jmo but you continue to be the best foodie on this board.

I was looking at Ocean Perch on the menu and wondering what M.P. stands for in the pricing. I don't get out enough I guess.

I was looking at Ocean Perch on the menu and wondering what M.P. stands for in the pricing. I don't get out enough I guess.
    Market Price.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Wow, just looked at menu. This place does seem to be amazing. Some interesting dishes and as usual your recommendations are solid. jmo but you continue to be the best foodie on this board
    Thank you! I have to say, these guys do wonders with what I'd normally call "low-rent staples". The deviled eggs were truly amazing. Never thought I'd pay a restaurant for a deviled egg, but I did and I'd happily do so again.

We had the eggs, brussel sprouts, and short rib bao. The lady isn't a big eater and those were enough for the two of us. It's all meant for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Market Price.
    Thanks, I feel like a landlubber asking that. Its the acronyms that do me in. I've seen the term market price so many times and yet didn't make the connection.

This reminds Top_Dawg of Replacement's hilarious posts when some restaurant pretending to be high end tried to feed him jackfish as if it was some exotic seafood.

C2E Posting Power

Trust me you probably don't want to know. But that was a not even disguised offensive post. The Sawridge Hotel chain afairc is owned by the Samson or Slave Lake band.

The poster specifically mentions dreamcatcher in the post and I think clearly suggesting why he would not go there.

Unfortunate attitude as well as I think the whole Sawridge hotel chain makes some excellent food(been to 3 locations) and the attention to detail impeccable from organic picked in Alberta herbs (the sage, Juniper, they use there is incredible) and use of Wild Blueberries seen in few other establishments and fresh when in season. I love the menus, food offered, and support the Alberta bred and owned hotel chain. They deserve the solid support imo.

Encourage people to try their menu. They do a superlative job on Brunch and Sunday Prime Rib nights. Both are truly must tries and excellent value for what you're getting.

Ha....the poster? Yeah that's me. You take offense to that? Too funny - I guess we're even then - I take offense to your ridiculous Oilers' commentary. Try reading between the lines - ownership group has a storied past. You must be juiced into them.

Having marketed seafood for years in a previous role, it pains me how scummy some places are with their labeling and pricing of fish. Joey's Basa for $21? That stuff is $2/lb to the restaurant. Any place that has "fish" on the menu should be investigated. What species? May as well just say "meat".

Anyway, it's got a lot better. Most of the foodie establishments put the species on the menu, and they're actively interested in serving you what they advertise.

This reminds Top_Dawg of Replacement's hilarious posts when some restaurant pretending to be high end tried to feed him jackfish as if it was some exotic seafood.
    haha, good memory. I enjoyed discussing that one. For awhile the seafood industry was trying to also turn Tilapia into some kind of special thing. Other than the disgusting bottom feeder, fish **** eating crap it is.

The game for seafood is to convince the consumer that these new options are tasty unique and better and in large part occurring as fisheries exhaust the supply of truly delectable choices.

hey, post 2970 above is probably one for you'd enjoy.

Ha....the poster? Yeah that's me. You take offense to that? Too funny - I guess we're even then - I take offense to your ridiculous Oilers' commentary. Try reading between the lines - ownership group has a storied past. You must be juiced into them.
    Well, its unsettling that you think your post was appropriate or that it should be occurring here or that it wouldn't have been detected by somebody. Welcome to ignore anyway due to what you indicated in the previous post.

Tilapia can be good. You just need to get it from a reputable source that raises it with feed in clean water and not some ditch filled with sewage.

Tilapia can be good. You just need to get it from a reputable source that raises it with feed in clean water and not some ditch filled with sewage.
    I'll remain averse for now for a species of fish which is such a renowned poop eater. Not a fan of catfish or liver either. I do suspect an eventual future when it becomes harder to avoid such items as they become the usual tripe.

haha, good memory. I enjoyed discussing that one. For awhile the seafood industry was trying to also turn Tilapia into some kind of special thing. Other than the disgusting bottom feeder, fish **** eating crap it is.

The game for seafood is to convince the consumer that these new options are tasty unique and better and in large part occurring as fisheries exhaust the supply of truly delectable choices.

hey, post 2970 above is probably one for you'd enjoy.

Yeah, it brought Top_Dawg a laugh this morning.

As did the High Tea thing.

If anybody were to suggest that Top_Dawg go sit around and drink tea with a bunch of cornholios, and drop sixty buck for this so-called privilege, he would invert his thumbs, point to his lower abdomen and tell 'em to ' amuse bouche ceci '.

I'll remain averse for now for a species of fish which is such a renowned poop eater. Not a fan of catfish or liver either. I do suspect an eventual future when it becomes harder to avoid such items as they become the usual tripe.
    With so many other options, there's not really any good reason to eat tilapia anyway. It only gained in popularity because it's popular with ethnic Chinese that make up a pretty big minority locally. Once a product is stocked for one group, it tends to get pushed on others to maximize the return on that shelf space.

Page 30 of 34 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031323334 LastLast