Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334 LastLast
Results 3,101 to 3,200 of 3318

Thread: "Must Try" Edmonton restaurants

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I don't really get the concerns with signage. Near as I can tell, Corso/Bricco/Uccellino have even less visible signage. Just some frosting/decals on their windows. I hear they do okay.

And really, as far as the street frontage goes, are people really expecting a small, new, independent restaurant to spend hundreds of thousands on a massive facade revamp, when they could well be out of business in 3 months? I mean, I'm sure their landlord would love it. But something tells me that would blow a pretty big hole in their business plan.

I haven't looked at the menu, but given some of the commentary above it's probably not my thing. I've enjoyed my meals at the Costa restaurants mentioned above, but personally I find reading their menus and picking something to be damn near exhausting. It's like they try to make it difficult to know what you're ordering. But nice to have some more unique, independent options. Hopefully they're successful.
    Last edited by Marcel Petrin; 06-04-2017 at 04:44 PM.

I'd rather C2E than work!

I think it looks good in a minimalist way.
    Good use of an older building that hopefully helps to continue to animate Jasper Ave.
    Best of luck to them!

(I guess they could have got a giant light up sign Fabutan style...nah...this is a bit more elegant.)

C2E Long Term Contributor

I took a look at Alta's menu and nothing on there appealed to me. I'll wait and see what the Alder Room has to offer when it opens later this month.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

^i have no doubt their menus will change with the seasons. Don't write it off completely without seeing what comes with future menu changes.

Atlas for dinner last night, my second time. Amazing table prepared Caesar salad and one of the best steaks in recent and long-term memory... a 14oz ny.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Steak and Caesar salad. The 1970's just called from Alice's Restaurant in the Mayfield Inn. You want fries and gravy or reconstituted mash'd taters with that?

Do they have a Waldorf as well?

Egg bennies for Breakfast?
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    I don't really get the concerns with signage. Near as I can tell, Corso/Bricco/Uccellino have even less visible signage. Just some frosting/decals on their windows. I hear they do okay.

And really, as far as the street frontage goes, are people really expecting a small, new, independent restaurant to spend hundreds of thousands on a massive facade revamp, when they could well be out of business in 3 months? I mean, I'm sure their landlord would love it. But something tells me that would blow a pretty big hole in their business plan.

I haven't looked at the menu, but given some of the commentary above it's probably not my thing. I've enjoyed my meals at the Costa restaurants mentioned above, but personally I find reading their menus and picking something to be damn near exhausting. It's like they try to make it difficult to know what you're ordering. But nice to have some more unique, independent options. Hopefully they're successful.
    Can't comment on others take but for me it makes little sense having this type of signage and frontage in a visible location, i.e. Jasper Avenue. You can't even tell its a restaurant from the pictures and dark glass. Haven't walked by there yet but it doesn't seem like it communicates well with the street.

While there can be esthetic appeal to minimalism it doesn't do much for ESTABLISHING traffic and walk ins.

Graphic design, from what I've read, puts a premium on communicating what a business is, what it does, what its mission is, of conveying that instantly. This frontage does not convey that, at all.

The picture in the thread is fascinating in a Graphics 101 type sense. freshii, as a design works, one knows innately what its about. The letters are green, alive, and not cased to suggest also a unique or fresh approach. This works, its good design conveyance. Fabutan to the right is also somewhat standard but established. The word tan in the name, the letters red, the letters bold font. The letters invoke daring along with the color.

Alder, and Alta in standard font and hue evoke mens suits/ties fashion line or something. There is no communication of food, restaurant, one could pass by and not even know.
    Last edited by Replacement; 07-04-2017 at 11:07 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Posting Power

Huh?! How do you live with yourself knowing that everyone thinks your such a dick!!!

Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    Huh?! How do you live with yourself knowing that everyone thinks your such a dick!!!
    Please remember its Friday and to pick up the Fish and Chips and a bag of Ceasar salad. The Nelsons and Montgomery's are coming over.

miss you

Last edited by Replacement; 07-04-2017 at 11:19 AM.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maclac View Post
    Please remember its Friday and to pick up the Fish and Chips and a bag of Ceasar salad. The Nelsons and Montgomery's are coming over.

miss you

^ Hey that's what i'm eating for dinner tonight!
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

I like it too actually Bill. I was just sorting out an old cod.

Any fish dinner aside from Tilipia is a good one. Or maybe jackfish..

^ I'm more into high liner.
    The world is full of kings and queens, who blind your eyes then steal your dreams.
    It's heaven and hell!

Massawa Cafe last night for the Mayor's celebration of the arts launch. Amazing prices, good food, cafe and licensed. Total hidden gem. 97st/101ave in the Arts lofts building east of Canada Place.

http://massawacafe.com/
    www.decl.org

Doan's last night for a dish I absolutely love, just grilled beef and rice. Their marinated beef is still amazing stuff.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Doan's last night for a dish I absolutely love, just grilled beef and rice. Their marinated beef is still amazing stuff.
    I like their patio as well. Although not at this exact moment. Screw this weather. Could you imagine if it was like this for your patio DT thingy a week ago?

Anyway I got sidetracked. Decent food at Doan's, inexpensive, never busy, doesn't get a lot of love = my kind of place.

I like basic places like Bulgogi House as well. A must for anybody on a budget. That was a staple back in the University days and place hasn't changed one bit. Decorated in early 1930's shiplap...Some coats of whitewash through the years.
    Last edited by Replacement; 14-04-2017 at 03:16 PM.

Ate at Max's last night (142st - 118th ave). Very good meal and great service. Plan to go back.

Tonkatsu and vending machine coffee! Dorinku I will be back for a leraxing time.

https://twitter.com/IanOyeg
    www.decl.org

Regarding signage on a restaurant. One of the best restaurants I've ever ate at was a place called "The Restaurant and Art Gallery With No Name".
    It was in Guadalajara back in the 80's. It had a NY Times review on the door calling it one of the 10 best restaurants in the world.
    You entered through a solid wood door with no signage whatsoever. The interior was a large open courtyard and everything about the place was amazing.
    If I could time travel, I would go back and relive that meal.

Sabor last night, quite busy for a Monday and it always delivers. Professional service, amazing ambiance and delicious food.

Serrano ham, stuffed peppers, staple caesar, chicken paella, prawn rigatoni and a bottle of the red stuff.
    www.decl.org

The Marc hit the mark once again with this schnitzel.

www.decl.org

District last night with the U of A Alumni group doing a serious beer and food tasting. Delicious. This was planned around the Northern Lands event at the Shaw. Going tonight, can't wait.

www.decl.org

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    The Marc hit the mark once again with this schnitzel.

Gluckwunsche kapitan !

Very nice.

And is that a Riesling Top_Dawg sees as a wine pairing ?

Excellent choice.

Did Dawg just comment on one of Ian's posts without calling someone a cornholio? I don't know what to believe anymore!
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Schnitzel did fly.
    www.decl.org

Tried Grandin Fish 'n' Chips for the first time the other day, was quite pleased. I had the halibut, my wife had the basa; both were excellent and not at all greasy. I'll definitely return.

Also grabbed a very tasty strawberry croissant and a coffee from Chocorrant this weekend... really nice bright space and friendly staff. Great addition to 124.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Ah, I get it now. Looking forward to trying the croissants there.
    Last edited by IanO; 14-05-2017 at 08:21 PM.
    www.decl.org

^Read again?

Hit up Otto finally. Delicious all around. Love the location. It's nice to see things opening up off the beaten path. Now, if only we could get something like this north of the Yellowhead, maybe in Calder...
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

^Totally agree. Would be great to see a few more places like that around town, especially in some of the northside communities.
    www.decl.org

The most frustrating part of new offerings in suburbs, is they're generally in power centre strip malls, or standalone structures in the middle of that power centre's parking lot, completely devoid of any character, walkability, or view. Look at Workshop: great food, but the location is brutal. It's in a suburban office campus that's void of all life after 5pm. Sadly that's almost all that's available on the north side save the oldest areas closest to the tracks.

^It's the way we choose to develop. Particularly, entire separation of uses, commercial requires huge amounts of parking. Unless we design new communities around transit, this will continue to be the way Edmonton grows.
    www.decl.org

Put my money where my mouth is and checked out Love Pizza with the lady. We both agreed the entire Neapolitan pizza craze needs to take a hike. $30 piece of dry bread with some light garnish doesn't cut it. I'll stick with my deep dish style pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Put my money where my mouth is and checked out Love Pizza with the lady. We both agreed the entire Neapolitan pizza craze needs to take a hike. $30 piece of dry bread with some light garnish doesn't cut it. I'll stick with my deep dish style pizza.
    I just don't get that nature of pizza trend. So thin crust pizza, with sparse toppings, is cheap food. Costs next to nothing to make albeit they'll tell you the Cheese has been flown around the world 3 times, is handmade by Italian virgins using only sacred cows, and the olives are off a 2000 year old tree where Jesus sat and wept.

And people will line up to buy this crap because somehow this is buzz pizza.

Classic.

It tasted like sun-parched shoe leather cured with the salty spit of whichever share-culture couch-surfer they had working the kitchen that day.

C2E Posting Power

It tasted like sun-parched shoe leather cured with the salty spit of whichever share-culture couch-surfer they had working the kitchen that day.
    "share culture-couch surfer" - good one. Or as I like to call them "self-entitled-skid mark's." Amazes me that the millenial generation is resting their laurels on working for "Bioware" someday - cuz "they love videogames so much and one day want to program vid games." It's hard to find good help these days....it blows my mind watching our service providers try to hire min. wage labor......3/4 of which are Somalian pirates....glad I'm not their mgr.

While I mostly agree, I have a few acquaintances that work at BioWare. Extremely talented people.

Those darn millennials, get off my lawn!

The best restaurants, bars and cafes to satisfy any craving in Edmonton via @WanderlustChloe
    https://www.wanderlustchloe.com/best...monton-canada/

Yes she's another travel blogger that was paid by Explore Edmonton to come here, but she said it's her first visit to Canada.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

interesting she didn't hit up any of the pizza joints

Excellent variety and choices. Reinforces just how much our food scene has improved, changed and evolved.
    www.decl.org

Looks to Top_Dawg like she wandered a lot on on Whyte Ave.

And all cornholio joints at that.

Had the chance to visit Alta Saturday night for some cocktails and samplings. Everything I had was delicious and to learn about how they created each dish from a chef was incredibly interesting.

CHICKEN LIVER ON BRIOCHE / PICKLED BERRIES / BALSAMIC / SUNFLOWER SHOOT

LAMB TARTARE / WALNUT "MISO" / PICKLED BABY PEACHES / POTATO

Some kind of brownie 'like' dessert that was amazing.

I am certainly going back for a proper meal and while it will not be something everyone likes, it did exactly what I hoped it would, intrigue me and my mouth.
    www.decl.org

Another amazing lunch at The Common on the patio someone new to Edmonton.

JACKSON STEAK SALAD
    Grilled romaine, artichokes, beet stained blue cheese & mustard dressing

BRAISED CORNED BEEF
    Beets, cabbage & brined carrots with garlic horseradish mustard on brioche
    fries, soup, or salad
    www.decl.org

Top_Dawg hasn't been to The Condom for about a year now.

Do the staff and customers still emit a very palpable man-man love vibe in the place ?

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post
    Top_Dawg hasn't been to The Condom for about a year now.

Do the staff and customers still emit a very palpable man-man love vibe in the place ?
    Man-man love is the new thing....aka "Bro-love." It's a hipster thing - doesn't necessarily mean they are homosexual. Lots of high-fiving, slaps on the bum etc....

No this wasn't like that.

Last spring when Top_Dawg would pop in there to check the NHL playoff scores, the needle on his gadar spiked close to the extreme danger zone.

C2E Posting Power

Oh really? Thought most restauranteurs try to keep away from an "all male review" type of place. Not the best for business - keeps guys like me and the trophy wife away from places like that. An 80-20 mix is ok...but anything over that is dangerous....

Dawg pays too much attention to the boys, it seems

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Half his posts deal in one form of homophobia or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Half his posts deal in one form of closeted homosexuality or another.
    Fixed that for you!

Daravara has the peameal?!?!?!?! Not Ontario worthy, but certainly AB worthy and house brined!

www.decl.org

^Boomtown Lager is great!
    www.decl.org

Solid Banhmi from Hoasnglong's fresh market on Jasper between 100/101st.

www.decl.org

That looks like a stale bun with some lettuce on it

Well he said solid.

The bun looks like the rising agent ran amok. Most bakeries would throw that one out and wonder who mixed the dough.

Not that theres anything else that looks good in that picture.

Cheap paper lanterns hung from an ugly season that they can't even bother to hide with a dropped ceiling or something.

Dollar store atmosphere and in the lol a day "Must Try" Edmonton thread.

When IanO was 16 he was writing you "Must try" the new whopper burger and fries imitation in the school cafeteria in his High school paper..

Hasn't advanced much beyond that
    Last edited by Replacement; 26-06-2017 at 01:17 PM.

Literally never a positive comment from some posters.

I saw that picture and immediately craved a Banhmi.

Its so 20yrs ago. Or 50yrs ago.

Vietnamese tired looking sub. This isn't novel or interesting now, to anybody that discovered these things decades ago and even then said meh.

To people that consider any nature of burgers, subs, sandwiches as a go to diet I guess it seems amazing. Judging from this thread the bar isn't set high on "must try"

Vietnamese sub being a must try is like saying a sad Mexican burrito is a must try. Most people just recognize it as street food in the respective places.

If you're downtown & want a good bahn mi, go to Nhon Hoa in Chinatown. You'll get a proper incarnation of the sandwich, with proper looking Vietnamese baguettes for bread & the appropriate fixings. Even with vegetarian protein options you'll get a more traditional/authentic interpretation of the dish.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Vietnamese tired looking sub. This isn't novel or interesting now, to anybody that discovered these things decades ago and even then said meh.

To people that consider any nature of burgers, subs, sandwiches as a go to diet I guess it seems amazing. Judging from this thread the bar isn't set high on "must try"

Vietnamese sub being a must try is like saying a sad Mexican burrito is a must try. Most people just recognize it as street food in the respective places.
    Sometimes I think you post just to hear the clicking of the keys.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post

If that was in part directed to me, you might want to see my contributions to this thread (and all threads). There's a lot of amazing food in this city, and I regularly comment on it. So much so that there's no reason to praise mediocre subs that are one step up from gas-packed convenience store hoagies. My issue with Ian's food reviews is that he has next to no ability to criticize food. Everything he eats is the best thing he's ever had and worth all the money.

If that was in part directed to me, you might want to see my contributions to this thread (and all threads). There's a lot of amazing food in this city, and I regularly comment on it. So much so that there's no reason to praise mediocre subs that are one step up from gas-packed convenience store hoagies. My issue with Ian's food reviews is that he has next to no ability to criticize food. Everything he eats is the best thing he's ever had and worth all the money.
    It wasn't.

I got all defensive for nothing

For the record, Ian said the sammich was "solid", not "OMG the bestest ever!" And I appreciate the info since I now know there's a place nearby other than V Sandwiches where I can grab a banhmi for lunch.

Sometimes delicious doesn't need anything fancy. I was tasty, fresh and filling. The bread was some of the best I have had in Edmonton from a baguette standpoint.
    www.decl.org

Its directed at me and I don't even get defensive. life is too short, haha. But Kudos on the IanO review about IanO reviewing food. Pretty much nails it. I don't know that IanO has ever met an Edmonton restaurant or meal he doesn't like. Its uncritical, its simply hyping fodder. To which I respond with another polarity.

Sometimes I think you post just to hear the clicking of the keys.
    It was Monday morning curmudgeon time. The sun is shining and I'm all good now.

heh, the worst thing is some of you younger folk will turn out like me...

^Well, to be fair, you're about as crusty as Ian's sandwich selection

^Well, to be fair, you're about as crusty as Ian's sandwich selection
    Dry as well, and tough...heh

As a condiment to this conversation I'm like a sharp horseradish. Or biting hot mustard, I don't know which, depends on my mood...

As a condiment to this conversation I'm like a sharp horseradish. Or biting hot mustard, I don't know which, depends on my mood...
    I was going to say "mashed banana" but have no idea why...
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

Its directed at me and I don't even get defensive. life is too short, haha. But Kudos on the IanO review about IanO reviewing food. Pretty much nails it. I don't know that IanO has ever met an Edmonton restaurant or meal he doesn't like. Its uncritical, its simply hyping fodder. To which I respond with another polarity.
    I have the opportunity, privilege and or circumstance to eat out very often. I certainly do not review, respond, post or include all of those.

Today was a tasty, filling, flavourful lunch that I decided to comment on.

But hey, we are entitled to our own opinion...right?

Replace being the key word sometimes.
    www.decl.org

C2E Posting Power

Finally hit up Chartier last weekend - only live 4 blocks away. $190.00 for 2 before tip....this is a special occasion place for sure. Old fashioned cocktail with the "burnt rosemary and tobacco extract" was insanely good - for sure a Hipster cocktail. Tomahawk pork chop with the pickled eggs was unique and delicious as well. Overall - very good service and food. Wanna check out their lunch - smoked meat is supposed to be good. Trophy wasn't as impressed as it is NOT a place for objects like her to be seen in....needed more eyes on her....

Got myself down to Ono Poke Co. for lunch today. Fantastic. Definitely a great new addition. Something new. Don't know if it's authentic poke or not, but I really liked it.

Brunch at Get Cooking's patio at MacEwan Residences on Saturday. Food is amazing, made to order. Patio is small and tucked away, not much to look at but worth it for the food. Had their version of eggs benny, did not disappoint.

https://twitter.com/chrisbuyze/statu...31496429117440
    www.decl.org

Prairie Poke, runny, basically raw eggs?

You guys have a particular interest in eating risky food? heh.

jk aside I'm kind of amazed establishments prepare and sell such things that are so easily connected to health risks and that can result in food poisoning claims.

Where's the raw, uncooked egg? I see poached eggs & hollandaise sauce, aka Eggs Benedict.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

^^Maybe you're confusing the two posts? Eggs benny - poached egg on cheddar biscuit and sauted greens with a very nice light hollandaise sauce.
    www.decl.org

Eggs benedict and Hollaindaise sauce is a risk dish. Something some most Doctors who treat patients would not eat. its inherently risky for salmonella poisoning in particular;

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-y...e-sauce-2017-2

Carry on, enjoy soaking up that mostly uncooked egg and pretty raw hollandaise sauce.

Dip your bread in to make sure you get all that rawish yoke in your intestines..

yoke, mix of Poke and yolk, haha, joke, excuse the pun.
    Last edited by Replacement; 19-07-2017 at 12:30 PM. Reason: edit yoke, get it, joke

lol live a little buds ^
    Last edited by hungryman4000; 19-07-2017 at 12:28 PM.

^^Lol!
    www.decl.org

Replacement has basically devolved into a caricature of the worst parts of Andy Rooney mixed with the worst parts of Statler & Waldorf.

The risk from salmonella from raw egg is miniscule at best.

Quote Originally Posted by hungryman4000 View Post
    lol live a little buds ^
    My intent is to live a little, and longer than consuming such raw dishes wherein people that commonly consumed them had a life expectancy half of what it is now. heh. Not equating, just stating.

But its odd we're going to pre caveman diets and food prep, i.e. raw, when cooking is superior, immediately available, and a safer option everywhere. Usually much better tasting and texture as well.

next we travel to the stone age. Eggs ala scrambled complete with shells prepared with hot rocks. (oh, this is probably a thing)

Canadians are probably one of the most food health-risk adverse people in the world. For no good reason. Heaven forbid a potato salad is left out (vinegar is the preservative) or bread or cheese on display doesn't have a sneeze guard.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    Replacement has basically devolved into a caricature of the worst parts of Andy Rooney mixed with the worst parts of Statler & Waldorf.

The risk from salmonella from raw egg is miniscule at best.
    If you ever had salmonella poisoning from a restaurant. ( I did, insufficiently cooked chicken) you want the risk to be zero or the next best thing.

Made at home you can decrease risk with proper food prep, storage, avoiding cross contamination etc. Restaurants, even top restaurants flagrantly violate proper food handling and storage every minute of every hour of every day.

Many places even have piles of egg benedict drenched in hollaindaise on buffet food table. Just sitting there for hours. People dig in. The bacterial spread is unreal.

My wife gets her eggs from an unheated, unrefrigerated shed on the side of the road. Bikes over, puts her money in the box, takes her eggs & leaves.

The vast majority of people don't actually refrigerate their eggs, ever. Turns out you don't actually need to refrigerate eggs unless they've been washed. North Americans get a little uncomfortable if their animal products show a little too much of their point of origin, so we wash our eggs to get them sparkly clean, necessitating refrigeration from that point onward.

^No one in Europe refridgerates eggs.

I have my own egg source as well. Problem is with grocery store eggs. Many have been in storage up to 14 months. I would not eat those raw.
    www.decl.org

Nobody outside of North America refrigerates their eggs. Hence my statement "the vast majority".

^^Bingo, or eggs from factory farms wherein the spread of salmonella and other contaminants is magnified.

Again, theres a bit of confusion between past or traditional practice, which minimized contaminants, and industrial food processing, which arguably increases risks.

Just as an aside a controversy in Hawaii is that the Poke craze, rather than being 100% sensible application has resulted in depletion of ahi Tuna in regional waters and requiring importation from greater and greater distances. So that most often the Poke consumed now in Hawaii isn't necessarily local or as fresh as it once was. For sure a local poke restaurant on the prairies has a harder time sourcing very fresh stuff.

Finally, a typical Hawaii Poke consumer will turn their nose at left over, or 1, 2 day old poke. Around Edmonton its probably the best one can hope for.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    And one part Food Dude.

You guys are killing Top_Dawg today.

FWIW I've bought eggs from the Hutterite Colony near Fort Saskatchewan and had to sign a disclaimer that the eggs were pretty straight from the chicken and weren't candled, etc. I guess they were ok since I'm offering this FWIW.
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

Finally made my way over to Workshop Eatery last night. It's tucked away next to Summerside (I could see the Gateway Park oil derrick from the patio), so I don't expect there to be a ton of love from this forum but I'm going to rave about it anyway.

If you enjoy locally sourced food prepared and plated flawlessly, make it a priority to visit.

Dishes we shared:
    - Duck Liver Pate (with saskatoon berry compote and obviously handmade in-house crackers)
    - BC Halibut (Proscuitto wrapped, dill creamed rainbow chard, lemon confit baby potatoes, tomato jam)
    - Duck (Four Whistle Farms duck breast, duck & blueberry sausage, creamy gruyere polenta, wilted rainbow chard, jus)
    - Panna Cotta (Honey yogurt custard, pickled sour cherries, candied pecans)

We definitely ordered too much, but that's what you do for a birthday celebration, right? They've got a nice selection of AB craft brews, happy hour til 7pm, and a great list of handcrafted cocktails and sangrias. I was actually really impressed with the room and building as well. The building is wrapped in solar panels, they've got a garden just off the patio that provides a lot of the veg on the menu. The kitchen is wide open to the dining room (kind of off to the side past the bar, but not hidden at all), and it almost feels like you're at a dinner party at a friend's house.

https://theworkshopeatery.com/menu/

Tis a great option if you are deep south, maybe the best option. Been there a few times and always impressed.

More about the building here:

http://themosaiccentre.ca
    www.decl.org

It's our new go-to in the deep South. Especially now that Cured has shut down.

Finally made my way over to Workshop Eatery last night. It's tucked away next to Summerside (I could see the Gateway Park oil derrick from the patio), so I don't expect there to be a ton of love from this forum but I'm going to rave about it anyway.

If you enjoy locally sourced food prepared and plated flawlessly, make it a priority to visit.

Dishes we shared:
    - Duck Liver Pate (with saskatoon berry compote and obviously handmade in-house crackers)
    - BC Halibut (Proscuitto wrapped, dill creamed rainbow chard, lemon confit baby potatoes, tomato jam)
    - Duck (Four Whistle Farms duck breast, duck & blueberry sausage, creamy gruyere polenta, wilted rainbow chard, jus)

We definitely ordered too much, but that's what you do for a birthday celebration, right? They've got a nice selection of AB craft brews, happy hour til 7pm, and a great list of handcrafted cocktails and sangrias. I was actually really impressed with the room and building as well. The building is wrapped in solar panels, they've got a garden just off the patio that provides a lot of the veg on the menu. The kitchen is wide open to the dining room (kind of off to the side past the bar, but not hidden at all), and it almost feels like you're at a dinner party at a friend's house.

Been there a couple times.

The one part I didn't understand is the service staff trying to say that its a grow your own type of restaurant and then pointing at the small planters of vegetables outside. The suggestion even made directly made that part of what you are eating comes from those planters outside.

It was funny too that everything they were growing was way behind what I had in my garden where I do grow a lot of what I consume.

I did like the open concept, but the transparency was lost when the service staff is basically misrepresenting where the food is coming from. As if any significant proportion comes from the small plot and planters they have growing veggies outside.

Seemed odd as well having to give advice to such a green place that some of their plants were dying through miswatering and being exposed and in some cases elevated to experience even more wind in an area devoid of any wind calming.

It is kind of pricy. We enjoyed the soup, but its the same type of thing I can get with fresh veggies out of the garden and tossed together in a Vitamix blender. They do at least have fresh product to work with.

One last comment. For a place that is scaled on an open kitchen front, the kitchen activity could be more intricate, and the presentation provided, more interesting if the chefs were doing much other than mincing veggies. For instance doing some more intricate vegetable effects, Spiraling, etc.
    Last edited by Replacement; 26-07-2017 at 09:50 AM.

Dishes we shared:

I love their menu!!! Thanks for the review. I'm done with downtown..

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post

Dishes we shared:

But you're going to St Albert so this Ellerslie restaurant is an even longer trip.

hey, DT St Albert is nice, albeit pretty small. Lets not even talk about the decrepit mall there that makes Capilano look cheery and fresh (sarcasm)

heh, I like some of St. Albert. Some nice, but pricey restaurants there. Some others that are just not good at all.

Plus another place where coffeeshops of all things close at 5 or 6 because the owners complain about not making any money.

St Albert has become a place where people that live there but flock to Edmonton to frequent power centers or something.

Oh, I like the Arden Theater and City Hall.

Dishes we shared:

Been there a couple times.

The one part I didn't understand is the service staff trying to say that its a grow your own type of restaurant and then pointing at the small planters of vegetables outside. The suggestion even made directly made that part of what you are eating comes from those planters outside.

It was funny too that everything they were growing was way behind what I had in my garden where I do grow a lot of what I consume.

I did like the open concept, but the transparency was lost when the service staff is basically misrepresenting where the food is coming from. As if any significant proportion comes from the small plot and planters they have growing veggies outside.

Seemed odd as well having to give advice to such a green place that some of their plants were dying through miswatering and being exposed and in some cases elevated to experience even more wind in an area devoid of any wind calming.

It is kind of pricy. We enjoyed the soup, but its the same type of thing I can get with fresh veggies out of the garden and tossed together in a Vitamix blender. They do at least have fresh product to work with.

One last comment. For a place that is scaled on an open kitchen front, the kitchen activity could be more intricate, and the presentation provided, more interesting if the chefs were doing much other than mincing veggies. For instance doing some more intricate vegetable effects, Spiraling, etc.
    I just assumed that there was another bigger garden elsewhere. Didn't think too much about it I guess. It seems like the type of building that would have a green roof or something though. It is a bit pricey, so not an everyday type of place unless you're getting something to share and a drink on the patio.

Quote Originally Posted by H.L. View Post

Dishes we shared:

But you're going to St Albert so this Ellerslie restaurant is an even longer trip.

hey, DT St Albert is nice, albeit pretty small. Lets not even talk about the decrepit mall there that makes Capilano look cheery and fresh (sarcasm)

heh, I like some of St. Albert. Some nice, but pricey restaurants there. Some others that are just not good at all.

Plus another place where coffeeshops of all things close at 5 or 6 because the owners complain about not making any money.

St Albert has become a place where people that live there but flock to Edmonton to frequent power centers or something.

Oh, I like the Arden Theater and City Hall.
    We often go out that way to visit my mother in law. We don't eat out that much anymore, we prefer to gather the family, and buy nice bottles of wine.
    I shop at Kingway mall, wherever I live, downtown is awful, WEM is ghastly!
    We were out for coffee and baileys at 8.00 in SA, love their farmers market..I'm so excited to be done with DT Edmonton and the concrete jungle..live a little, you always sound so down..lol!
    Arden is nice, but having acted at the citadel, it holds a special place...plus we have season tickets

Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334 LastLast