Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334 LastLast
Results 3,201 to 3,300 of 3362

Thread: "Must Try" Edmonton restaurants

You hate WEM but love Kingsway? I can't stand Kingsway and mainly for the shortage or parking, the hardest mall in the City to get to with road configs that are terrible for driving but are the way they are due to the past airport.

WEM is a mall that is at least easy to get to and has tons of parking. A Mall not having either of these is a nightmare.

heh, double up on the Citadel though, heh. We got our STH again for coming year. I have mentioned though to the Citadel that its a show me year. We're not unconditionally supporting the new director. I've kind of felt it veering off to kids amusement. They're trying hard for a youth audience. Much more Peter Pan and Disney crap and we'll pull the plug.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Actually, Top_Dawg finds Kingsway pretty easy to access but only when heading north on 109 Street.

By the way, has anybody heard anything about the future of Emmonton Petroleum Club ?

^Land too expensive.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    You hate WEM but love Kingsway? I can't stand Kingsway and mainly for the shortage or parking, the hardest mall in the City to get to with road configs that are terrible for driving but are the way they are due to the past airport.

WEM is a mall that is at least easy to get to and has tons of parking. A Mall not having either of these is a nightmare.

heh, double up on the Citadel though, heh. We got our STH again for coming year. I have mentioned though to the Citadel that its a show me year. We're not unconditionally supporting the new director. I've kind of felt it veering off to kids amusement. They're trying hard for a youth audience. Much more Peter Pan and Disney crap and we'll pull the plug.
    Yes, WEM just repeats stores, long and boring. Kingsway parking during the week is great! I wasn't sure of the lineup for the citadel..after this season, we'll see.

Kingsway parking during the week is bad. The times I've went. Mostly just for work related meetings with people that chose that spot. I otherwise avoid the place and area which is congested on all sides and moreso since the LRT.

That said I'm a Southside resident so the only Malls in the city that even matter are Southgate and WEM. WEM actually being a destination mall, which Kingsway isn't.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Kingsway parking during the week is bad. The times I've went. Mostly just for work related meetings with people that chose that spot. I otherwise avoid the place and area which is congested on all sides and moreso since the LRT.
    Nope. As someone who works adjacent to Kingsway you're once again woefully incorrect. Just got back from picking up something on a break. Parked 25m from the door (5 stalls in), was in & out back in my desk in 19 minutes, round-trip, same as ever.

That said I'm a Southside resident so the only Malls in the city that even matter are Southgate and WEM. WEM actually being a destination mall, which Kingsway isn't.
    It was abundantly clear you're a southsider when you indicated how terrible Kingsway is to get to, which it isn't for the vast majority of people north of the river.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Whenever I see replacement posting, I get this picture in my head:

Quote Originally Posted by Medwards View Post
    Whenever I see replacement posting, I get this picture in my head:
    I get this clip, myself.

Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

I loved south gate at one time, but I prefer a smaller mall( kingsway has great parking) . Plus Southgate has lost a couple of stores, that weren't the same old chain stories..: I love the jean store in SA, fabulous...

^^

C2E Long Term Contributor

Sabor for their opening night of Sabor Seafood Fest. Maybe the best tuna I have ever had. Oysters. Sardines from the gods, Octopus, Mussels. Salmon. Crab tacos. Kelp sturgeon. Seaweed brownies. Soft egg sweets. Glorious red. Chef Lino and Ned Bell were amazing.

Seafood fest is on from Aug3-Sept2.

www.twitter.com/ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Seaweed, kelp, Sardines, Octopus. Basic cheap *** food. They must have seen the marks coming. Wheres the Jackfish and **** eating tilipia on this list...

Seaweed brownies, lmao.

What, no soylent green?

I don't even want to ask what "soft egg sweets" are...

Finally, in what way are Sturgeon sustainable? Just wondering.

Did you just insult one of the top restaurants in the city? Clap,clap,clap.

The Sturgeon they served were raised in inland tanks.
    Last edited by IanO; 03-08-2017 at 08:43 AM.
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    Maybe the best tuna I have ever had.
    Hmmmm, that's a pretty all order considering you've been to Japan at least once or twice. But by my standards raw Toro or Bluefin (yes, I know, overfished) beats cooked any day. If it has to be heated, nothing more than a quick char with a raw center.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

Albacore tonight. Bluefin is amazing, but expensive. Medium fatty toro is also delicious.

Anything more than seared is wrong for anything but melts.
    www.decl.org

I'd rather C2E than work!

Seaweed, kelp, Sardines, Octopus. Basic cheap *** food. They must have seen the marks coming. Wheres the Jackfish and **** eating tilipia on this list...

Seaweed brownies, lmao.

What, no soylent green?

To sum up:

If it ain't Kobe or some other such super high-end borderline rare delicacy, Replacement ain't interested. And don't even bother with Wagyu, you heathen.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex.L View Post

Seaweed brownies, lmao.

What, no soylent green?

To sum up:

If it ain't Kobe or some other such super high-end borderline rare delicacy, Replacement ain't interested. And don't even bother with Wagyu, you heathen.
    On the contrary I don't go in for fad foods, that become oddly popular, for little or no discernible reason. Nor do I have a considerable diet (any) of raw fish that could make me very ill instantly. I do probably eat more pulses than most people on this board. I probably eat more nuts and vegetables. A sensible, albeit less exotic food I guess..

This thread never disappoints though in detailing silly food options and trends. Its like endless episodes of Portlandia.

This thread never disappoints though in detailing silly food options and trends. Its like endless episodes of Portlandia.
    Gives you plenty more chances to hear yourself talk. Old guys seem to like that.
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

Ahh Sabor. The two times I've been the menu on the website doesn't match the menu in-restaurant, leaving me (and the kitchen) scrambling to find something suitable to eat. I send other people there if they ask for a recommend but won't be going back myself any time soon.

I do probably eat more pulses than most people on this board. I probably eat more nuts and vegetables.
    Hahaha. No.

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    I do probably eat more pulses than most people on this board. I probably eat more nuts and vegetables.
    Hahaha. No.
    Most, heh. I know you have a sensible diet. We've been over that.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Gives you plenty more chances to hear yourself talk. Old guys seem to like that.
    I do. But odd comment considering its younger generations that are particularly represented on social media and constantly engaging and telling the world what they had for breakfast. So your generalization, other than being ageism, is erroneous. But you knew that and couldn't help it. I'm sympathetic to the latter. We all have our vices..

On the contrary I don't go in for fad foods, that become oddly popular, for little or no discernible reason. Nor do I have a considerable diet (any) of raw fish that could make me very ill instantly. I do probably eat more pulses than most people on this board. I probably eat more nuts and vegetables. A sensible, albeit less exotic food I guess..

You do realize that their Chef and Oceanwise were doing a seafood fest right... you know, with things from the sea to be used to create delicious, unique dishes?
    www.decl.org

You do realize that their Chef and Oceanwise were doing a seafood fest right... you know, with things from the sea to be used to create delicious, unique dishes?
    I know that because you blathered on about your latest dinner. On a thread where probably 79% of reviews are IanO waxing on about fine Edmonton DT dining. Carry on, its a near constant amusement.

lol as well at the pretense of knowing chefs by name. What a hot bag of wind you are. Me too but I don't make my livelihood plauding DT sundries online and otherwise. Carry on with shilling for the common DT good.
    Last edited by Replacement; 03-08-2017 at 09:20 AM.

Seaweed brownies, lmao.

What, no soylent green?

Top_Dawg loves it.

Every bit of this sounds and looks downright gross.

But hey- it's Sabor.

They can shovel steaming rhino $hit on the table and the cornholios will trip over themselves to stuff their face with it, pay hundreds of dollars, puke it all up, and still scream at everyone how awesome it is.

I guess my comment about you only liking rare delicacies comes from reading numerous posts (mostly in this thread) about how X food is pretentiously plated, or X food is historically a cheap peasant food. You're the worst type of food 'critic' because you can't get over your own pre-conceived notions and you let it ruin everything before you've even tried it. Won't go to Otto because sausage is garbage food full of filler even though their particular offering have no filler and are made in-house with local ingredients. Won't give Sabor the time of day because certain types of seafood are beneath your sophisticated palate. If I recall you also ran MEAT down because BBQ smoked meat is a way to disguise cheap cuts and sell for higher prices. Oh, and they had slices of bread on their menu, which I believe you derided as BS because bread should come with the meal.

Essentially you don't like dining out, and if you do it has to be either a) a rare delicacy (as determined by you), or b) Nothing out of the ordinary or adventurous.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

Seaweed brownies, lmao.

What, no soylent green?

Top_Dawg loves it.

But hey- it's Sabor.

They can shovel steaming rhino $hit on the table and the cornholios will trip over themselves to stuff their face with it, pay hundreds of dollars, puke it all up, and still scream at everyone how awesome it is.
    It was too much not to respond to. Theres only so much **** I can read about here without response. Steaming Rhino **** is apt comment. Whats with all the flies in here?

I guess my comment about you only liking rare delicacies comes from reading numerous posts (mostly in this thread) about how X food is pretentiously plated, or X food is historically a cheap peasant food. You're the worst type of food 'critic' because you can't get over your own pre-conceived notions and you let it ruin everything before you've even tried it. Won't go to Otto because sausage is garbage food full of filler even though their particular offering have no filler and are made in-house with local ingredients. Won't give Sabor the time of day because certain types of seafood are beneath your sophisticated palate. If I recall you also ran MEAT down because BBQ smoked meat is a way to disguise cheap cuts and sell for higher prices. Oh, and they had slices of bread on their menu, which I believe you derided as BS because bread should come with the meal.

Essentially you don't like dining out, and if you do it has to be either a) a rare delicacy (as determined by you), or b) Nothing out of the ordinary or adventurous.
    Actually I eat pretty healthy food, avail myself to foods from around the world and know how to prepare the same. If you ate at my place you would think anything but that my diet is limited. You would see instead that I view food as a pursuit of health and don't go out of my way, and out of pocket, to make things that made me sick. Literally.

I've ate at Sabor. Better than some of the mucks that get constant mention here but overpriced and overrated because, well, Edmonton DT.

I don't mind dining out, but the fare needs to match what I can prepare myself at far less cost. The healthy options need to match as well.

But I exist in a land of prairie balls, sushi rolls, pho, sausage, charcuterie, bacon fat, pork fat underbelly fans that have a fascination with things that I'll easily pass on.

We don't dine out very often, but I do like to hear about different restaurants. I love seafood, any seafood. Its a shame this thread has gotten so silly.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

Top_Dawg loves it.

But hey- it's Sabor.

It's extra hilarious that Ian can acknowledge the impact presentation & plating can have on a dish, hence him wanting to share it, but not being cognizant of the fact his terrible photos make it look like lumps of coal floating in congealed tomato soup, straight from the can.

Tragically, the vegan pizza place on Jasper & 112 will open 5 days after my wife heads back to Sweden, on August 18.

https://twitter.com/diepieyeg/status/891165721752997889

I do. But odd comment considering its younger generations that are particularly represented on social media and constantly engaging and telling the world what they had for breakfast. So your generalization, other than being ageism, is erroneous. But you knew that and couldn't help it. I'm sympathetic to the latter. We all have our vices..
    They offer more than ego-puffed crapping on what others are doing.

They offer more than ego-puffed crapping on what others are doing.
    I exist nearly devoid of ego. A grain of sand cosmically speaking. Look for some other button to presse. Typo left, it kind of fit.

ps Aren't you ego crapping on what I'm doing. I was taking the **** out of IanO, that's almost a public service. Leave ego out of this

Actually I eat pretty healthy food, avail myself to foods from around the world and know how to prepare the same. If you ate at my place you would think anything but that my diet is limited. You would see instead that I view food as a pursuit of health and don't go out of my way, and out of pocket, to make things that made me sick. Literally.

I've ate at Sabor. Better than some of the mucks that get constant mention here but overpriced and overrated because, well, Edmonton DT.

I don't mind dining out, but the fare needs to match what I can prepare myself at far less cost. The healthy options need to match as well.

But I exist in a land of prairie balls, sushi rolls, pho, sausage, charcuterie, bacon fat, pork fat underbelly fans that have a fascination with things that I'll easily pass on.
    Great. I'm glad you eat healthily and that you can cook. None of that is what this thread is for though. If you want, you can start a thread about it.

If you're just going to come in here and post a long diatribe about why it's terrible based on your dietary restrictions (whether for medical reasons or self-imposed) every time someone posts a picture or a comment about a new restaurant with an different twist on a dish, I'm going to continue to post telling you that you're being a wet blanket.

Don't like what restaurants are serving? That's your call. Complaining whenever someone else likes it, or knocking them down a peg because they do enjoy charcuterie, sausage or pork belly is a ****** thing to do and you know it.

Great. I'm glad you eat healthily and that you can cook. None of that is what this thread is for though. If you want, you can start a thread about it.

If you're just going to come in here and post a long diatribe about why it's terrible based on your dietary restrictions (whether for medical reasons or self-imposed) every time someone posts a picture or a comment about a new restaurant with an different twist on a dish, I'm going to continue to post telling you that you're being a wet blanket.

Don't like what restaurants are serving? That's your call. Complaining whenever someone else likes it, or knocking them down a peg because they do enjoy charcuterie, sausage or pork belly is a ****** thing to do and you know it.
    I'm fine with you calling me a wet blanket in response to me chiming in on IanO's must try thread. The world turning as it should.

Knocking down a peg? Man, if any of my comments are taken to heart that is evidence of being overly ego based. It probably shouldn't matter what I think, or express. Or anybody.

Back to IanO telling us what he had for lunch. ETA 3hrs.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Well said, time to give it a rest Replacement (for the 6 millionth time, no one GAF about your opinions on here).

I exist nearly devoid of ego. A grain of sand cosmically speaking. Look for some other button to presse. Typo left, it kind of fit.

ps Aren't you ego crapping on what I'm doing. I was taking the **** out of IanO, that's almost a public service. Leave ego out of this
    Hilarious, two guys fighting over who has less of an ego.
    Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

And thanks to the resident thread crap merchants on here, this is why I'm no longer even bothering to contribute my own dining reviews on this board.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    And thanks to the resident thread crap merchants on here, this is why I'm no longer even bothering to contribute my own dining reviews on this board.
    Darn, you seem to get around to lots of places. If you don't post, the cranks win!

Quote Originally Posted by norwoodguy View Post

I don't recall defending my ego, but ok.

Now if we could just get you to do the same with your threats of violence, meta-commentary & condescension there might be some real improvement on the board!

Quote Originally Posted by norwoodguy View Post

I don't recall defending my ego, but ok.
    I don't recall even fighting. I thought we were having a pleasant enough exchange while agreeing on being critical of my posting in the thread..

Four Edmonton area restaurants named in Air Canada's Enroute Magazine 'Best New Restaurants 2017'

https://canadasbestnewrestaurants.com/en/

Alder Room, Bar Clementine, Cafe Linnea, and Chartier (Beaumont)
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Speaking of Clementine, I went there for the first time last night. The cocktails were quite good (I had the Timber and Doctor, and my friend had a couple of the gin ones), as was the couple plates we tried (the bacon pancakes and brie). About $100 w/tip, so definitely pricey, but fairly standard for that type of place. I found the menu to be quite limited food-wise.

The grease smell is still a problem. My clothes absolutely stank afterward. And my friend texted me today saying the same. It's honestly enough of a problem for it to be a reason not to go back, in my opinion.

There's few things that'll get me to never patronize a business like the potential to smell like bacon drippings afterwards.

*dry heave*

Yick.

Great choices, but I have to concur Marcel...it put me off. I am going to give it another try, but it almost made me have to leave.
    www.decl.org

I mentioned it when I went in and again on social media of some variety. They're aware of the problem, but it doesn't seem like they're moving quick to solve it. Chances are the fix won't be cheap, and it's safe to assume whoever did the job incorrectly in the first place has no desire to come and rectify it.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

That's completely unacceptable when paying those prices. Fix your exhaust system, clean the fryers, do something. Disgusting.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    That's completely unacceptable when paying those prices. Fix your exhaust system, clean the fryers, do something. Disgusting.
    Yet they still made the list. Makes me second guess the validity of their other choices. Not that I'd likely be patronizing the rest of them regardless, given their lack of options for varying/restricted diets.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

It could well be that the problem is only present during certain wind or weather conditions, and not others. I doubt it's as simple as someone having installed a ventilation system "wrong".

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Speaking of Clementine, I went there for the first time last night. The cocktails were quite good (I had the Timber and Doctor, and my friend had a couple of the gin ones), as was the couple plates we tried (the bacon pancakes and brie). About $100 w/tip, so definitely pricey, but fairly standard for that type of place. I found the menu to be quite limited food-wise.

The grease smell is still a problem. My clothes absolutely stank afterward. And my friend texted me today saying the same. It's honestly enough of a problem for it to be a reason not to go back, in my opinion.
    Funny. Anywhere that smokers gather does that for us.

Bars, beer tents, etc also create the lasting awful odor issue too.

Oh, and garlic festivals. Once was enough for us because the next day our clothes still stank.

Then there's the Heritage Days BBQ smoke that drifts everywhere stinking up everything.

It could well be that the problem is only present during certain wind or weather conditions, and not others. I doubt it's as simple as someone having installed a ventilation system "wrong".
    Maybe? My wife is very sensitive to that issue and we've never noticed it. We're not regulars by any means, but maybe we've just had great luck.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Maybe it depends on what's being cooked at that time. So quit ordering the bacon, Marcel!
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I'm pretty sure it's all the time and I'm pretty sure it's exactly because something was installed wrong, whether it's improperly installed equipment or designed poorly. In any case, the air is heavy with cooking oil. It's not good.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Farrow is opening a 2nd location at 9855 - 76 Ave
    https://twitter.com/FarrowSandwich/s...46135252783105

Wishbone for lunch today. Had the double burger, delicious, if not a bit rich. The cabbage salad was tasty, but I should have opted for the soup as my lunch partner said it was a hit. His main was the chicken burger and it checked all of the boxes. The updated space is bang-on with a much more comfortable space. Only suggestion is a wider range of wine pricing by the glass. It hits a nice sweet spot between casual fare and finer dinning, especially with their dinner menu.

Double Beef Burger | sweet pickles, iceberg, american cheddar, mayo, mustard, brioche bun 15

Fried Chicken Sandwich | blue cheese gribiche, hot sauce, iceberg, brioche bun 14

www.twitter.com/ianoyeg

https://www.eatwishbone.ca
    www.decl.org

www.decl.org

Wishbone seems like a nice normal kind of place. Attractive in that sense and not trying to be ostentatious. A rarity it seems in the DT marketplace. A comfortable place I would be tempted to go to DT. Like the ample use of wood décor as well. FINALLY some normal kind of establishment.

The fare looks decent as well in presentation except that the buns could use some work. Looks indistinguishable from the most basic Kaiser type of bun.
    Last edited by Replacement; 14-08-2017 at 11:28 PM.

Top_Dawg didn't even know about this Wishbone joint.

Two options on the lunch menu ?

Two ?

That's hilarious.

Why do they even bother with a lunch opening ?

Classic move mr. doesn't actually investigate.

They have a smaller/tailored menu, but still enough offerings. The dinner menu is significantly larger.

https://www.eatwishbone.ca/menu/

----

Snacks
    Chicken Wings | chili honey, togarashi, cilantro 13 gf Napa Cabbage Salad | bean sprout, green onion, carrot 12 v/gf Soup | focaccia 9 gf (sans bread)
    Veggie Soup | focaccia 8 v/gf (sans bread)

Lunch
    -served with soup or napa cabbage salad-
    Double Beef Burger | sweet pickles, iceberg, american cheddar, mayo, mustard, brioche bun 15
    Fried Chicken Sandwich | blue cheese gribiche, hot sauce, iceberg, brioche bun 14
    Devilled Crab Salad | egg, celery, potato, frisee 17 gf
    Caulifower | hummus, sprouted lentils, soft poached egg, frisee 14 v/gf

Sweet
    Sesame Custard | sesame cookie, salted caramel
    Yogurt Semifreddo | candied hazelnut, black lime,
    raspberry-rose coulis 11 v/gf
    v = vegetarian gf = gluten free
    www.decl.org

It's a pretty typical, terrible Edmonton current-wave menu, replete with next to no vegetarian/vegan offerings.

Dude? Almost half of the menu is GF/V
    www.decl.org

^^

Exactly.

They have two real lunch menu options.

A burger.

And a chicken sandwich.

And that's exactly what IanO and his bum buddy had.

Because that's it.

That's all Top_Dawg was laughing at.

Dude? Almost half of the menu is GF/V
    Bro, buddy, pal, amigo!

Lunch has cabbage salad & soup, or cauliflower with your choice of soup or cabbage. Listing it 3 ways certainly makes it seem expansive, but it's not.

There's not a single vegetarian entrée on the dinner menu, just fries & overpriced side dishes (and the cabbage salad, again.)

Garbage menu, meant for people who care more about where & how they eat than what they eat.

A friend went to Wishbone for dinner with her boyfriend. With a couple drinks, the bill was about $150 and they said the portions were so small they had to go for more food somewhere else after. My friend isn't a big eater either, so that's not a glowing endorsement.

Although I gave the place a rare compliment calling that bun Brioche, describing cheese Gribiche, and having frisee, coulis, togarishi, and sprouted lentils is the kind of tomfoolery I usually avoid. Why do all these restaurants seem so inclined to have descriptive terms that mean nothing to the average consumer. Do I need to google the menu?

On a more serious note preparing such things as Napa Cabbage Salad is just silly. You've taken something, cabbage, which almost anybody can consume and made it into something that a lot of people with restrictive diets can't consume. For instance with the lunch menu If you are gluten insensitive or Celiac you have the choice of soup, and hopefully one that has not been thickened with wheat or flour.

Present day menus should reflect a little common sense to avoid such bottlenecks.
    Last edited by Replacement; 15-08-2017 at 10:07 AM.

Yeah, Top_Dawg remembers those $hit shows from twenny years ago when he had an ol' lady who wanted to try every new cornholio joint that opened up.

Go drop a hundred and fiddy buck for a mystery meat medallion drizzled with some $hit and an asparagus spear drilled into it.

Then jump into the truck and order a Rose Bowl pizza for pick-up on the way home.

After years of trying Top_Dawg finally got rid of the ol' lady.

Goddamnit, I miss Rose Bowl so badly. Living across the street from them spoiled me forever.

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

^ Same here! I've ordered Royal Pizza a few times but its just not the same

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Wishbone seems like a nice normal kind of place. Attractive in that sense and not trying to be ostentatious. A rarity it seems in the DT marketplace. A comfortable place I would be tempted to go to DT. Like the ample use of wood décor as well. FINALLY some normal kind of establishment.

The fare looks decent as well in presentation except that the buns could use some work. Looks indistinguishable from the most basic Kaiser type of bun.
    As far as the decor goes, it's almost exactly the same as it has been for the previous 4-5 years as MRKT. I think they changed a bit of lighting and the bar setup, but that's it.

As far as the menu goes, definitely not a "normal kind of place". Or at least, when I went there because a friend's family party had an extra spot, the set menu was quite un-normal. Pigs head, beat and blue cheese salad, oysters, some sort of vegan chickpea fingers, and so on. It was pretty good for the most part, but a little too "new-wave" (or whatever you want to call it) for me. I think it was $75/plate for the set menu.

As far as the decor goes, it's almost exactly the same as it has been for the previous 4-5 years as MRKT. I think they changed a bit of lighting and the bar setup, but that's it.

As far as the menu goes, definitely not a "normal kind of place". Or at least, when I went there because a friend's family party had an extra spot, the set menu was quite un-normal. Pigs head, beat and blue cheese salad, oysters, some sort of vegan chickpea fingers, and so on. It was pretty good for the most part, but a little too "new-wave" (or whatever you want to call it) for me. I think it was $75/plate for the set menu.
    Yeah, I already revised my impression of the resto being normal. That said I was amazed to actually see a restaurant interior here that actually utilized wood grain paneling without slopping grey, black, or very dark paint or stain over it so that you could actually see wood grain and tone. I like the wall finish. Usually its some such ebony finish which almost completely removes the wood grain appearance. I find that diminishes the natural look of wood. jmo. Albeit I don't mind mahogany or Cedar finish which accents. But Ebony finishes basically cover the grain. Not sure why so many places opt for such dark finishes.

Didn't MrKt have a dark ebony type of paneling finish. Maybe I'm getting it confused with another place.

Didn't MrKt have a dark ebony type of paneling finish.
    No.

Maybe I'm getting it confused with another place.
    Absolutely.

I stand corrected. It must've been the lighting when we looked in. We never sat down. didn't like the menu anyway. The lighting there seemed to make the walls look darker as per this link

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_U92Ddo19Wr...0/MRKT+001.jpg

Actually, they have added a lot of new comfortable seating in place of the high-long table which is a vast improvement. Other little tweaks as well. Love the olive.
    www.decl.org

A quick stop at Alta yesterday. Unique, intriguing, delicious. :tup:

www.twitter.com/ianoyeg
    www.decl.org

What is it?

What is it?
    Unappetizing?

Probably looks a lot better than Ian's potato cam suggests.

Quote Originally Posted by spudly View Post
    what is it?
    chinook salmon / charred cucumber / buttermilk
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by noodle View Post
    What is it?
    Unappetizing?
    seriously dude, go do something, anything productive
    www.decl.org

seriously dude, go do something, anything productive
    Hahaha. I only come here when I'm not being productive, remember? Plenty of 1-5 minute downtimes during my day where I can read a bit & laugh my head off at your terrible posts (photographic or otherwise).

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    Probably looks a lot better than Ian's potato cam suggests.
    Hey, that's not very nice to potatoes, associating them with Ian's terrible camera.

Quote Originally Posted by spudly View Post
    what is it?
    chinook salmon / charred cucumber / buttermilk
    Thanks. Interesting presentation, I would never have guessed those things.

I think Ian must post these selections to get response. Troll food. Looks like burnt tofu on a plate of seaweed vomitus.

So much for presentation.

If someone stepped in something that look liked that they'd be hosing off their shoes for an hour..

Nah, it's just that he doesn't take any criticism & he's got enough toadies & bootlicks who invariably come to his defense that he doesn't see any reason to improve or grow.

^derailed.

Why not talk about the food and not IanO?
    www.decl.org

I thought it looked good. The camera sucks, but I got the idea.

The presentation was one of the best I have seen, the taste excellent and the pairing unique.

Alta is one of those places that reminds you that there is SO much more to food than the standard fare we often accept.
    www.decl.org

Thanh Thanh the other day. So good and not pricey. Hit the new Windermere Keg tonight for the first time. Service was a bit slow but otherwise excellent. I thought maybe they are not fully staffed yet.
    Last edited by Drumbones; 19-08-2017 at 01:48 AM.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Did Situation off Whyte again this evening with friends and enjoyed it. Service was decent. Food was good. Beer was good. They had a really nice cider that was fantastic as well. We sat in the corner on the leather sofas which were really quite nice to sit, eat, drink at.

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Did Situation off Whyte again this evening with friends and enjoyed it. Service was decent. Food was good. Beer was good. They had a really nice cider that was fantastic as well. We sat in the corner on the leather sofas which were really quite nice to sit, eat, drink at.
    The "Situation?" Named after this guy I suppose....lol

^ There is a situation brewing just south of Whyte Ave...

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    Four Edmonton area restaurants named in Air Canada's Enroute Magazine 'Best New Restaurants 2017'

https://canadasbestnewrestaurants.com/en/

Alder Room, Bar Clementine, Cafe Linnea, and Chartier (Beaumont)
    Speaking of Linnea, they have (sadly) ended their no-tipping policy: https://www.facebook.com/cafelinnea/...61842550902663
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

The good news is I won't end my no-tipping (or vastly reduced) policy, so I guess that works for me.

Anyone been to Cartago yet? They have alot of positive reviews after only being open a couple weeks.....

Seems like similar concept to Otto (beer and sausages) which BTW is fantastic.

Anyone been to Bottega 104? I'd love to see an online menu if they'd actually bother to post one.

Anyone been to Bottega 104? I'd love to see an online menu if they'd actually bother to post one.
    The naming is stupid because of Bodega one street over, I feel like people will be standing each other up at the wrong place haha!

I don't mind it, I live very close by so I have been a handful of times already.
    -white sangria was actually amazing (I normally don't drink that stuff but tried my friends and then ordered one right away)
    -Crustini something or other is the best appetizer they have. I can't remember exactly what is in it but I order it every time I go, beef, goat cheese, a little honey? something like that
    -Pasta is alright, its good pasta I only tried the one type, I'd probably order it again, decent portions.
    -Panini okay but don't get it if you are hungry
    -Haven't tried the pizza
    -prices are OKAY but definitely a bit pricey

I normally just pop in for a quick drink/something to do to be honest.

Highlights: crustini and white sangria. Restaurant is worth trying out, I personally like the atmosphere in there and I found the food and drinks to be better than your average place. Most times I've been were busy except for 2-6ish weekdays which is expected. Friday/saturdays and the lunch rush during the week seem to be busy enough.

Great addition to 104st. Typically a good crowd and vibe, but can get quite loud.

Enjoyed the various choices I have had there.
    www.decl.org

Top_Dawg checked it out.

In and out.

He certainly didn't linger long.

Total cornholio vibe very palpable upon entry.

Struck Top_Dawg as a pre-club meeting spot before hitting the glory holes at Evolution and/or Bower.
    Last edited by Top_Dawg; 07-09-2017 at 09:24 AM.

A delicious Chinook Salmon at The Common for lunch today.

With light crème fraîche,watercress & scalloped potatoes
    gluten free
    www.decl.org

Page 33 of 34 FirstFirst ... 23293031323334 LastLast