Thread: Fort Edmonton Park unveils new revitalization plans

I'd rather C2E than work!

Default Fort Edmonton Park unveils new revitalization plans

there is good news about Fort Edmonton Park

http://edmonton.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...9?hub=Edmonton
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

The city runs a lot of neat tourist / family attractions that I think are often underrated - it would be great to see more people get out and use these facilities. Hopefully the revitalization helps with that.

I love Fort Edmonton Park already, so anything else they do to improve it is a bonus I think
    www.decl.org

Sounds great! It seems they are listening to the cries of keeping it historicaly sound rather than fancy screens and robots?

I love fort edmonton park. Selkirk is a hidden gem!
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

My own personal wish is it to have a Granville island appeal.
    Not everyones vision, but that my.02 cents.

In Guantanamo (Banned)

Generally speaking in most places historic buildings are left in-situ as part of the fabric and identity of the city. I love how Edmonton considers an "old building zoo" the way to go.

^it works here because most of the buildings aren't worth preserving. Sort of like a garbage dump for buildings, turned into an attractive tourist resort, Fort Edmonton Park rocks.

It needs a bar and night club.
    "Most people do not listen with the intent to understand;they listen with the intent to reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dawg View Post
    It needs a bar and night club.
    In keeping with the times they have a saloon ...

C2E Continued Contributor
    South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

Some time ago, the Radial Railway guys secured the Jasper avenue bridge to extend the line outside the park over the Whitemud creek. I'd love to see Fort Edmonton and The valley zoo linked with a streetcar. Yes, I'm a dreamer!
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

Partially Addicted to C2E
    Overlanders (just off hermitage road near Victoria trail)

What this city badly needs is more dreamers like you bud. Seriously...that would rock.
    Quiet...I'm trying to hear the voices inside my head!

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Fort Edmonton park is great, any additional attractions would or upgrades would add to it's charm.

Quote Originally Posted by rime ice View Post
    My own personal wish is it to have a Granville island appeal.
    Not everyones vision, but that my.02 cents.
    For that to work you would need a public market in fort edmonton park as well as alot more restaurants and shops, maybe a big park with a man made lake would help too for this vision to make it more like granville

One simple thing would help alot to achieve their increased numbers that they want. Direct bus to Fort Edmonton from South Campus every day from when the season opens, runs starting before opening time to closing time so you can get staff as well as regular people the ability to get to the front door. Right now it is a rubber tire market attraction and sadly Edmonton does not have a bike rental shop. It is currently a bus to Fox Drive and about a km to the front gates. Not exactly welcoming and accessible.
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

C2E Long Term Contributor

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...023/story.html

Here are some of the other suggestions contained in the current report:
    • Move guest services, admission and the gift shop out of the train station so they’re more accessible, and provide more room in the station.
    • Expand the midway, adding more historically accurate rides and attractions, such as a tethered helium balloon ride, a corn or hay-bay maze and a double ferris wheel.
    • Build an events field where period sporting events can be recreated. Nearby, a sportsman’s lodge would pay tribute to the city’s historic sports heroes and offer food services.
    • Add new dining, shopping and entertainment venues that would let people “experience what it was like to go out for dinner in 1920s Edmonton or visit one of the city’s thriving theatres.”
    • Expand the Selkirk Hotel to include a conference centre, banquet facilities and meeting space.
    • Build rustic summer cabins by the hotel.
    • Create an Aviation Garden containing a replica of bush pilot Wop May’s Avro Avian airplane adjacent to a fountain square, which would be converted for skating in winter.
    • Reconstruct the Capitol Theatre to house a multimedia retelling of Edmonton’s history “through the eyes of some of its most colourful characters.”
    • Recreate the Sing Lee Laundry, telling the story of the Chinese men who moved to the city.
    • Create a “historium” in Kelly’s Saloon that would include audio-visual materials, artifacts and live interpreters to show “the lively world of Edmonton’s early hotels.”
    • Add a “Spirit of the First Nations” celebration of aboriginal culture that would be “something symbolic and culturally appropriate” rather than a building.
    • Install a wooden pier that would offer a close-up view of the York boat.
    • Add a Frontier Path for interactive walks with interpretive programming.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E SME

Do you think a hockey pond inside the Fort would provide a greater benefit?

Just kidding. I think that the plans for Fort Edmonton look great!
    "Talk minus action equals zero." - Joe Keithley, D. O. A.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post

1885 Street – In 1885, Edmonton was dusty or muddy, depending on the season
    Not much has changed since...except now we have mcdonalds burger containers and tim horton cups to add in with the sand and mud that make spring so enjoyable in Edmonton

I've complained about this for years - Fort Edmonton has always lacked decent signage. It's literally a hidden gem.

For decades a huge number of potential visitors probably drove right past it not knowing it was there! I'd bet that the lack of good signage has been a huge opportunity cost over the years and now with tourist traffic taking the Anthony Henday much of that potential is lost forever.

Quote Originally Posted by moahunter View Post
    ^it works here because most of the buildings aren't worth preserving. Sort of like a garbage dump for buildings, turned into an attractive tourist resort, Fort Edmonton Park rocks.
    Id say it's not that they weren't worth preserving but rather that most things are discarded, demolished or allowed to decay before its realized that they were worth preserving.

It's a problem with how people place value on things. Essentially, their 'present value' / 'future value' estimates are skewed - even knowingly.

i.e. using something more people can relate to than heritage and tourism - consider oil - even those that believe it will be worth a LOT more in the future seem unwilling to lock in the resource until that time when our kids might realize far, far higher present value and possibly even critical utility.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...023/story.html

Here are some of the other suggestions contained in the current report:

• Reconstruct the Capitol Theatre to house a multimedia retelling of Ed
    The Strand and or the Empress theaters would more accurately depict the early years of the city. The Capital was art deco bush.
    "Most people do not listen with the intent to understand;they listen with the intent to reply.

couldnt find the right thread for this but didnt think it warranted its own.
    Always thought fort Edmonton was canada's largest living museum - this was from a feature in those westjet airplane magazines, it was a page dedicated to all the 'fort' attractions in the country - fort edmonton was not featured.

^I guess it is the 50th anniversary for Heritage, and Calgary is Westjets hub. Fort Edmonton is way better than Heritage Park though, it definitely should IMO be promoted more, a bit disappointing it didn't make the list, but I'm not surprised.
    Last edited by moahunter; 24-08-2014 at 09:03 PM.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Problem is that Edmonton have other big attraction is WEM and Fort Edmonton Park but nothing for Calgary , Calgary wants to grab people's attention away from Edmonton completely.
    Edmonton Rocks Rocks Rocks

Write them.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

C2E SME

And I would also add that another great attraction in our region is also the Ukrainian Village.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

They're both significantly better than heritage park in Calgary. I have a feeling Edmonton's attractions will start to appear more and more as people start to discover us. There is a lot happening here these days and it's getting attention across Canada. Hearing people from around Canada talk about Edmonton these days is exciting. Most people seem to be interested in what we have happening and going on here. He rest if Canada is just catching up in many regards and starting to pay some attention.

Job No 272543805-003
    Description: To Construct an Outdoor Participant Recreation Services facility (Bumper Cars)
    Plan 8521469 Blk A
    Applicant: STANTEC
    Create Date: 1/17/2018 2:05:57 PM

Job No 272543805-001
    Description: To Construct an Exhibition and Convention Facility Building (Midway Games Alley East Building 3d)
    Plan 8521469 Blk A
    Create Date: 1/17/2018 11:07:29 AM

Hmmm, great that they adding new facilities, but wonder if they have put money towards the rail maintenance building that has been condemned. No building means, train likely doesn't run much, then the park becomes a lot less exciting.
    My antidepressent drug of choice is running. Cheaper with less side effects!

Job No 267911107-006
    Description: To construct four buildings (Game Alley East/West, Bumper Cars, Cabinet of Curios), one landscape attraction (Maze and Ferris Wheel) and one seasonal event tent (402 sq.m.) to an existing Public Libraries and Cultural Exhibits Facility and to construct interior alterations to an existing building (Exhibit Hall) and to demolish an existing building (Fun House) - (Fort Edmonton Park - Midway Expansion Phase Two).
    Plan 8521469 Blk A
    Applicant: STANTEC, LISA KELLERMAN
    Create Date: 2/28/2018 1:11:39 PM

267911107-008
    28-Feb-2018
    7000 - 143 STREET NW
    Plan 8521469 Blk A

To construct FOOTING & FOUNDATION ONLY for a future entrance gate structure (Fort Edmonton Park - Midway).

CLARK BUILDERS

Job No 279881278-001
    Description: To construct an Exhibition and Convention Facility (Cultural Centre, Fort Edmonton Park)
    Plan 8521469 Blk A
    Create Date: 4/18/2018 3:34:21 PM

Doing expansions like this via re-creation of a lost Edmonton building would be nice.