Thread: School Closures and maybe "Openings"

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default School Closures and maybe "Openings"

How do schools fit into neighbourhoods and what does an opening or closure do for that neighbourhood?
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

A school opening anchors a community. A school closing essentially guarantees its slow demise, unless there's an abundance and there's alternatives close by.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    A school opening anchors a community. A school closing essentially guarantees its slow demise, unless there's an abundance and there's alternatives close by.
    This

Schools closing singals the last hope for a community. As much as there may be other options or social / community uses for the space, there is no longer the attraction or reason to move into a neighbourhood for new families.
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim
    facebook.com/BrothersGrimMusic

Families with babies will move once they get to school age.
    The neighborhood is more than likely filled with elderly people.
    When they die their off spring may keep the property and rent it out.
    Renters are not as invested in the neighborhood like owners are. Renters do not
    rally for paved back lanes and better lightning etc:
    Property starts to deteriorate somewhat leaving the area more downtrodden and less
    likely that people will want to buy there.
    Small business like hairdressers, barbers, day cares start to move out. That leaves room for pawn shops, sex shops, pay day loans furthering the demise of the area.
    If a school re-opens families move back into the neighborhood. The school will act as a catalyst for gatherings giving the area a more neighborly feeling and there is a good chance the community will start to rally for improvements in their area.
    Last edited by Gemini; 30-04-2010 at 05:52 PM.
    Gone............................and very quickly forgotten may I add.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Default School Closure Moratorium Committee Meeting - Urban Sprawl

"Given the amount of public interest on the issue of school closures, the Board's School Closure Moratorium Committee has also committed to hold a series of public meetings over the next several months. Each meeting will focus on a topic related to an issue that affects school closures. Members of the public will have the opportunity to address the committee by contacting the Board Office. All public meetings will be held in McCauley Chambers at the Centre for Education (One Kingsway). The first meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, April 19, 2011 from 2 to 4 p.m. and will focus on urban sprawl. Additional meetings will also be held between May and October 2011. Further information about these meetings will be posted on the Board of Trustees section of Edmonton Public Schools' website -"

http://districtsite.epsb.ca/root/cal...ntSortType=asc

Edmonton Public Schools looks at closing older schools

Lifting of moratorium could see new facilities built in mature neighborhoods

BY ANDREA SANDS, EDMONTON JOURNAL JANUARY 13, 2013

STORYPHOTOS ( 1 )

William Yeh, 11, from left, Carrie Watt and her daughter Meredith, 6, Ruth Callao and her daughter Sophia, 6, and Isaac Chow-Turner, 11. Now that the moratorium on school closures has expired, Watt fears smaller schools like Lansdowne could be consolidated with other Edmonton public schools facing declining enrolments.
    Photograph by: John Lucas , Edmonton Journal
    EDMONTON - It is financially impossible to keep all public schools in Edmonton open now that a moratorium on school closures has ended, although changes won’t be immediate, says a senior manager with the school district.

However, a new approach to tackle the costly problem of underpopulated schools in older neighbourhoods might make future school closures more palatable for parents, says Lorne Parker, managing director of planning, property management and student transportation for Edmonton Public Schools.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...107/story.html
    www.decl.org

I'd rather C2E than work!

It really is: two steps forward, one step back for our mature neighborhoods. City council and school boards operate completely independently of each other, and waves of young kids in the fringes get the new schools, as the older neighborhoods get gutted. Then in 30 years, the wave will force those schools to shut down.

I have never been a proponent of "penalizing" folks for living in the burbs, but in the case of schools I think there may be an exception made.
    Parkdale

Interesting idea, and probably one I'd support. I find it frustrating that I bought a house a few years ago in a mature neighbourhood that's now faced with school closures all around it, while my brother lives in the middle of nowhere, but has a new school nearby. If some of these older schools close, and a new one is built, that's a lot better than a bunch of schools closing and a simple reno done to one of them.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Yah you do get the distinct impression that the new developments are cannibalizing school infrastructure. What they really need it a moratorium on building new schools, which will make central living more attractive (when they get tired of driving their kids into the city) and maybe bring some balance in how the demographics are spread across the city. Continue on this path and we will just repeat the process in another generation or two, a perpetual cycle until we run out of land.

The way I look at it is most people who buy on the outer fringe burbs could/can afford to drive. Why not bus their students into mature areas for schooling?

We have enough land / buildings to make sure all students in Edmonton fit comfortably AS IS. We just need to get creative and stop bending over backwards for the suburbs
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim

The problem is that while the city benefits from keeping small schools open in mature neighbourhoods, there is no benefit to the school board. I understand why they make the decisions they do but I think the city at the boards should be actively working together.

A good example of the benefits of keeping small schools open is Westglen, where my kids go. It was almost closed and had enrolment falling below 100 students. It was spared and in the years since enrolment has climbing dramatically and the school is thriving. So is the neighbourhood. I know of multiple families that have moved to the neighbourhood because it has a school.

I wonder how many people move to the burbs not because they want to but because they feel they have no choice.

"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong"

When the issue was last debated in 2012, the final vote was 5-4 in favour of modernizing older schools first. Leading that push was trustee Heather MacKenzie.

“We view maintenance of our existing buildings as key to sustaining them and keeping them open,” she said.

Eight new schools had just been built, MacKenzie said, and it was finally time to spend dollars on fixing up older ones. “Each new school that we received guts a number of other schools in the district that are already under-maintained.”

It doesn’t hurt kids in new suburbs to bus a half-hour to an existing school, MacKenzie said.

Trustee Michael Janz led the fight against making modernization the priority.

“As a board, if we pass this, we’re collectively bating the ‘burbs,” Janz said. “We’re telling people out there that our existing maintenance needs trump our new needs.”

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...469/story.html
    www.decl.org

Yes Janz, how dare we make our inner city viable for families at the risk of unbuilt suburbs. What an *****. All parts of the city deserve good schools. Not just the shiny new suburbs. Some of those old schools are in disgusting condition.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

All parts of the city deserve good schools. Not just the shiny new suburbs. Some of those old schools are in disgusting condition.
    Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post

“As a board, if we pass this, we’re collectively bating the ‘burbs,” Janz said. “We’re telling people out there that our existing maintenance needs trump our new needs.”
    Thats exactly what we are saying! Man **** the burbs! 95% of people out there are living in the burbs because they have $$$. It is not cheaper to live in the burbs.

Why are we punishing inner city / low income schools and bending over backwards to families with money?
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim

Quote Originally Posted by Komrade View Post

Thats exactly what we are saying! Man **** the burbs! 95% of people out there are living in the burbs because they have $$$. It is not cheaper to live in the burbs.

Why are we punishing inner city / low income schools and bending over backwards to families with money?
    Komrade

While I agree with the sentiment you are trying to put across your comment:
    95% of people out there are living in the burbs because they have $$$
    Is not fair or correct in my opinion

Sure there are some that have $$$ but just as many aren't any better off than most and live where they do for a variety of reasons including location to work.

Painting everyone with a broad brush is not fair to anyone.

This is best comment so far in this thread as I see it:
    Originally Posted by Chmilz
    All parts of the city deserve good schools. Not just the shiny new suburbs. Some of those old schools are in disgusting condition.

And I support dealing with the older schools before building new.

In my highly biased personal opinion

Your right, it was an unfair attack.

However It drives me up the wall when I see parents demand a school within walking distance of their community and that almost always comes at the expense of the lower income / inner city schools.

You chose to move out to a suburb where there was no schools / lack of schools. Why do we say "how high" when these communities say "jump?"
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim

C2E Posting Power
    YEG: Alberta Avenue, Boyle Street, McCauley | YLW: Shannon Lake | PHX: San Tan Valley

People who make the lifestyle choice to commute and live in the suburbs should expect that their children are going to be making a commute as well.

Why should children in distressed neighbourhoods be expected to commute/walk to schools further away when suburban mom wants a convinient place for her Lexus to idle waiting for the kidlets?

Quote Originally Posted by downtown View Post

why should children in distressed neighbourhoods be expected to commute/walk to schools further away when suburban mom wants a convinient place for her lexus to idle waiting for the kidlets?
    this!! 100%.
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim

C2E Super Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Downtown View Post
    People who make the lifestyle choice to commute and live in the suburbs should expect that their children are going to be making a commute as well.

Why should children in distressed neighbourhoods be expected to commute/walk to schools further away when suburban mom wants a convinient place for her Lexus to idle waiting for the kidlets?
    Because education isn't such a high priority for tomorrows crack-whores and gang-bangers as it is for kids from nice families who are going to be tomorrows Doctors and CEOs.

Stereotyping is fun isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Downtown View Post

Because education isn't such a high priority for tomorrows crack-whores and gang-bangers as it is for kids from nice families who are going to be tomorrows Doctors and CEOs.

Stereotyping is fun isn't it?
    LOL.

Except I would argue that is the mindset of a Majority of suburban dwellers. "**** those ghetto kids they are just gonna end up Welfare cases anyway. Why do they need new schools"

Why do you think people move to the burbs? To run away, hide and stay safe from aspects of society the deem undesirable.
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim

Default Daveberta has guest blog from Dave Colburn on school closures

This blog post is up on Daveberta's website this morning. Dave Colburn talks about what happens now that the two year moratorium on closures is done.

http://daveberta.ca/2013/04/dave-colburn-edmonton/

excerpt:

"So is anything really different? I would say yes, there are encouraging changes. It is reasonable to expect that three levels of government will be involved in future urban planning.

Schools will be closed in the future. How can this be done respecting the needs and views of communities? In an Andrea Sands article in the Edmonton Journal on January 13th, 2013, Edmonton Public’s Director of Planning, Dr. Lorne Parker spoke at length about the replacement school model. I very much like this model. The idea would see a number of schools (say 3 or 4) in close proximity to each other be closed, and, in return, a new school built to serve communities experiencing closure in the area. It would require gov’t commitment to fund a new school in return for closures. It would require authentic public consultation. Many groupings of schools in the district that would qualify for this approach.

Finally, I think this board’s extraordinary response to community concerns over school closures has reaffirmed, in a very public manner, the importance of community in any school closure decision. I am hopeful that we will never see again, as we did in 2010, a school closure discussion that does not mention the word community once.

7 new schools for the capital region

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...858/story.html
    www.decl.org

^
    Translation: 3 new schools for rich west end kids & parents. We will figure out what to do with the inner city throwaways later
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim

Partially Addicted to C2E

well you can blame the parents for moving to these new neighbourhoods only to find out later that there is NOTHING there. You have to DRIVE to the stores. There is no schools, but hey, let's move our family there. Meanwhile there are schools in Edmonton screaming for kids but everybody wants new. New schools. New shops. New houses.
    Makes me sick to see this kind of mentality.

www.decl.org

C2E Posting Power
    YEG: Alberta Avenue, Boyle Street, McCauley | YLW: Shannon Lake | PHX: San Tan Valley

I'd LOVE to see the effect on inner city infill/revitalization if the city refused to build any more new schools, but committed to reactivate dormant schools.

As much as I do not like the separated school system that we have, I have redirected my school tax dollars to the catholic system since EPSB closed Parkdale School in 2010. I know a lot of other residents of the area did as well.

In turn the Catholic board has made sure that St. Alphonsus is a viable and active school. EPSB won't get a dime of my money until they reverse their current trajectory and actually make an effort to make the central schools viable
    Parkdale

I don't get it... As adults we commute 20/30/40/50 /60 min

When I was a kid county students commuted 20/30/40/50/60 min

Reno inner city schools or totally rebuild them if it's cheaper and bus the effn kids there.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

C2E Posting Power

Some choose to scapegoat projects like the Downtown Arena as money that is being used at the expense of the roads and infrastructure.

When it's something less noticeable that is much closer to being the culprit - something like building new schools plus continuing to pay for and maintain schools that are dormant. What a disgusting waste.

Not sure if this is the right thread, or if it should have its own thread. The premier has announced a new Catholic K-9 school for Windermere.

Quote Originally Posted by The Edmonton Sun
    In an effort to alleviate overcrowded classrooms in Edmonton's burgeoning southwest neighbourhoods, the province announced a new Catholic school for Windermere residents on Monday.

A "delighted" Premier Alison Redford announced the Kindergarten to Grade 9 Catholic school will benefit as many as 750 students, and is one of six new schools planned in Alberta that will create space for as many as 4,200 new students.
    One of six new schools announced this month, the Windermere school will be located on the northeast corner of a plot of land near Windermere Road and Windermere Boulevard, said Edmonton-South West MLA Matt Jeneroux.

Not thrilled with it being a Catholic school, just because I don't believe that any faith should have a publicly funded, yet 'branded' school. That said, spaces for students are spaces for students, so this is good news.

Couter pointe...

Explain why people then move into these new burbs with no Schiool in them over areas that have one?!

I don't think schools are as important as we think they are.... Safe/reliable/convenient access to them is however.
    "Do you give people who already use transit a better service, or do you build it where they don't use it in the hopes they might start to use it?" Nenshi

Quote Originally Posted by edmonton daily photo View Post
    Couter pointe...

Explain why people then move into these new burbs with no Schiool in them over areas that have one?!

I don't think schools are as important as we think they are.... Safe/reliable/convenient access to them is however.
    Partially because a lot of them don't have kids yet.

^ Economics I think is the real key........

More/same house for $$$, less taxes, double attached garage + stigma of raising a family in the inner city. (that's what poor and ethnic imigrant people do)

Redford has announced new schools are going to be built but how many of them actually will be built. Talking about it does not get the job done.

^^ Doesn't the same value of house pay the same taxes regardless of where in the city it is?

More/same house for $$$, less taxes, double attached garage + stigma of raising a family in the inner city. (that's what poor and ethnic imigrant people do)
    Poor maybe, but I think ethnic is a stretch in many neighbourhoods, though that's certainly the stereotype.

There are many new neighbourhoods in the southeast that it wouldn't be far from the truth to say that caucasians would be a visible minority.

To sp59.... Absolutely not! Every area has a different tax rate, it's on your city tax assessment. That portion an individual cannot dispute when it comes to increased property taxes! It's a shell game created by the city to extract maximum taxes out if the citizens

C2E Posting Power

Could overpopulation justify reopening Edmonton inner-city schools?

Esther Starkman and Johnny Bright elementary schools opened in 2010, the same year that public school trustees voted to close five central schools struggling with low enrolment. Now, just three years later, those new schools have the inverse problem — overcrowding.

As a result, 600 students who lived furthest away had to switch schools. There are thousands more from nine other overpopulated schools, mostly in new southwest Edmonton subdivisions, who might also have to make new friends.

http://metronews.ca/voices/footnotes...-city-schools/

Glad to see this topic getting some press instead of the usual "just build more schools" topic.

why exactly do they make these new schools in the burbs so small? add a second story or something for the older kids.
    be offended! figure out why later...

C2E SME

I think it would be nice for one or two new schools to be built in a centralized location and make them that they could be expanded if needed.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

I don't get it... As adults we commute 20/30/40/50 /60 min

When I was a kid county students commuted 20/30/40/50/60 min

Reno inner city schools or totally rebuild them if it's cheaper and bus the effn kids there.
    Exactly. Having a school 5 minutes away from your house is nice but it isn't a necessity. I lived in Millwoods but went to school at St. Basil's which is by NAIT. I rode the yellow school bus for nearly an hour. It wasn't a big deal.

www.decl.org

yep 3 for Edmonton and 10 For Calgary....

They are building enough space for 3100 students here even though in the last handful of years Enrollment has increased nearly 7000.

Catholic trustees move ahead with school-closure plan

Edmonton Catholic school trustees voted Tuesday night to move ahead with the process to close four southeast Edmonton schools.

The school district hopes to consolidate the four lower-enrolment schools — St. Kevin, St. Brendan, St. Gabriel and St. James — in a newly built K-9 Catholic school on the St. Brendan school site, at 5825 93A Ave.

The province has already announced it will fund the replacement school, which is estimated to cost $25.7 million.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...481/story.html
    Parkdale

Really looking forward to this and the affect of the old sites; could provide some great greenspaces for the mature and increasingly dense neighbourhoods. The location, however, is a little out of the way. Wished they could have used St. James' or St. Kevin's for their great central locations.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

C2E Posting Power

Community group against Edmonton school closure

"A local community group aims to halt the closure of an aging southeast Catholic school.

In March, the Edmonton Catholic School Board voted in favour of closing four schools, including the 57-year-old St. Gabriel School at 5540 106 Ave."

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2014/04/0...school-closure

C2E Posting Power

Edmonton Public Schools to announce school closure and replacement options next week

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...160/story.html

Three Edmonton schools could be closed
    and amalgamated into one new one
    http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/video?cli...ylistPageNum=1

Quote Originally Posted by Perspective View Post
    Three Edmonton schools could be closed
    and amalgamated into one new one
    http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/video?cli...ylistPageNum=1
    Given that this doesn't represent a closure as much as a replacement, I'm not opposed to this. Particularly since it would create a K-9 school and eliminate a junior high. Junior high as a premise needs to disappear.

highlander

I'm rooting for Beverly/Rundle because Highlands and Westmount Schools (both jr high) are two of the most beautiful schools in the city. Maybe if the plan were to rehabilitate those schools as K-9 I'd feel differently.

Based on the letter I got as my kids are in the Westmount catchment, retrofitting is one of the options open for consideration.

The old schools closing sit on some prime real estate that could be sold to developers. Those monies could then be used for new schools needed in the suburbs

They are just thinking about this now and expect to open in 2016??? Sounds like a pipe dream to me.

Most of these exsiting schools are on very small land parcels adding a new school and keeping the old one in place there will be no outside play space for a lot more kids.

highlander

Rundle heights school has a big parcel, and in "greater highlands" either of the 3 would be big enough but would require a creative land swap with either the Catholic board at Newton or Montrose, the community league (at highlands school, give the league Montrose school in exchange for their land?) or the City (at Mount Royal).

Damn. I wonder what changes are coming for Beverly. Mixed feelings here
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim

My guess would be they would use the more central RJ or Lawton area. It's interesting that Beacon heights school is not mentioned in this proposal. It must be near end of life as well, although it did just get a large amount of money from Comrie.

^

Beacon is for the "well-off" Beverly/Bergman residents. Of course it wont be touched.
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim

C2E Posting Power

Quote Originally Posted by JJMorrocco View Post
    They are just thinking about this now and expect to open in 2016??? Sounds like a pipe dream to me.
    The funding from the province is already in place, the school board just has to pick the schools. I'm guessing as soon as they decide (supposed to be June) the shovels will hit the ground.

first time ive ever seen that highlands school and damn that's a nice looking building!

shame to lose it
    be offended! figure out why later...

As a parent whose kids could have been going to Westmount next year and as a graduate of Westmount I'd say the building is historic but the school seems to be struggling. Of my kids grade six class at Westglen the vast majority seem to be going to Westminster, some to Westmount, and few, including my kids, to Vic.

The creation of a great K-9 school in the area could be a very good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Turnbull View Post
    Given that this doesn't represent a closure as much as a replacement, I'm not opposed to this. Particularly since it would create a K-9 school and eliminate a junior high. Junior high as a premise needs to disappear.
    Why the preference for K-9 over separate elementary and jr high? I've generally heard that there are educational advantages to smaller elementary schools, although I can see how the boards would prefer the economies of scale of larger schools.

Mostly as I consider junior high a incredibly bad idea. I think kids in that age range do better in schools that contain either younger grades, older grades or both. Grouping one of the most volatile age ranges into one isolated group makes for a bad environment. I'll the admit the opinion is based on my own experiences but I know teachers as well generally agree.

Needless to say I was pleased my kids were able to get into a K-12 school for grade 7.

South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

And so let me get this clear. We hear about infill and revitalization of our character and older areas, and then close the infrastructure families would depend on forcing them to bus thier kids to God knows where. Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

I see the propsals are out for the three locations. To me the new school at RJ Scott makes most sense out of all three areas. Although I am not all that familiar with the Westmount area.

I was surprised at the minor addition and revamp for Highlands - I can't see fixing this school up to meet todays requirements / expectations.

Staples: Rebuilding schools as community hubs could be the neighbourhood renewal idea of the year

BY DAVID STAPLES, EDMONTON JOURNAL

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...174/story.html
    www.decl.org

^Hasn't that always been the idea?

highlander

This looks a little more comprehensive than other versions I've seen, and includes a private-sector component.

And I think it makes a lot of sense, on locations where there's room for the other stuff. Adding uses and density to an underused school site can only help the community.

The elementary school i went to was a community hub style.. opened in 1973.. Best school i have ever been in. the gym is used every day after school. the classrooms are iopen for the community. the local public library is in the school ( and is the same library used by the kids reducing costs) classrooms and the community hall is part of the same building. the school uses the whole grounds during the day... the community uses it every night.. with this setup the school is the literal lifeblood and place for the whole community.. im somehow not surprised it has taken the City of Edmonton 41 years to do the same concept that has worked so well not too far from town.

Quote Originally Posted by 240GLT View Post
    It really is: two steps forward, one step back for our mature neighborhoods. City council and school boards operate completely independently of each other, and waves of young kids in the fringes get the new schools, as the older neighborhoods get gutted. Then in 30 years, the wave will force those schools to shut down.

I have never been a proponent of "penalizing" folks for living in the burbs, but in the case of schools I think there may be an exception made.
    I grew up in a generation limited neighbourhood that closed its public elementary school despite a number of small apartment buildings in its core. When I moved away from my parents' home I shopped a number of neighbourhoods and liked the high end neighbourhoods but saw their socioeconomic/demographic attraction as an eventual negative for their schools. I saw the greater scale and mix of housing in my current neighbourhood as a great asset towards keeping the neighbourhood viable to future buyers. We have a good number of apartments, a housing co-op, some rather huge homes but most importantly, loads of condos and smaller homes so it's a sustainable neighbourhood in terms of attracting young families in the future. Our 1970s school is seeing significant increases in attendance.

Of course, we've had more upwardly mobile friends and acquaintances who have moved into the upscale neighbourhoods for the status effect and social and other "utility", then 'dis' our neighbourhood and part of town but it's not my problem that they can't see the value that we can see.
    Last edited by KC; 17-05-2014 at 08:58 AM.

Residents angry at plans to develop vacant Edmonton school sites

BY GORDON KENT, EDMONTON JOURNAL MAY 20, 2014 2:04 PM

Tweet 1

EDMONTON - An angry group of southwest residents lambasted plans Tuesday to build homes on vacant school sites.

“We need green space more than high-density development,” Barry Kossowan, president of lobby group ACT for Community, told council’s executive committee.

“Once a development is built on green space, that green space is gone forever.”

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...070/story.html
    www.decl.org

Instead of big swaths of fields, the city should sell a portion to a developer, then use the revenue to improve a park area to be more treed and more "Olmsteadian" than barren, flat, buzzed soccer field. A couple benches centred around a piece of art or fountain. Bam. Our Cabotto park is a lot like Montreal's in that it is more than a field. Better more useful designs can lead to better improved use. There is a fine balance. Mount Pleasant did an okay job, but their parks still look terrible.

EPS says new school should be built in Rundle Heights.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...614/story.html

Congrats to the Rundle neighborhood on the announcement

Here's hoping that at some point we can see more investment in schools in mature neighborhoods
    Parkdale

Partially Addicted to C2E

I'm pretty happy about it. Beverly has 6 elementary schools that really are walking distance (based on the walking distance a kid of the 80s had to walk) and all 6 have low enrollment numbers. It makes sense to drop 2 elementary and a junior high (that is too big for the enrollment) and make one school to house those former 3.

Great for the area, unfortunately they picked the wrong location. Should have been in the RJ Scott field- more central and better ETS access. It would also draw kids from Beacon heights schools which are also in the same condition.

The new Edmonton Catholic k-9 School in Windermere:

Also, here's a news link about how it will be under capacity http://metronews.ca/news/edmonton/11...tholic-school/

Quote Originally Posted by JJMorrocco View Post
    Great for the area, unfortunately they picked the wrong location. Should have been in the RJ Scott field- more central and better ETS access. It would also draw kids from Beacon heights schools which are also in the same condition.
    I would agree with this. I am lost of the logic of putting it on the Rundle site. Perhaps that had the most space?

The plan is to keep all 3 open while building the K-9. Perhaps there was not enough space to do that on the RJ site?
    youtube.com/BrothersGrim

Speaking of school openings.

5 city pioneers to get schools named after them.

Michael Phair - School in Webber Green.

The list of names also includes Nellie Carlson, Ivor Dent, Roberta MacAdams and Margaret Ann Armour.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...719/story.html

Nice tribute to Ivor getting his old school renamed after him.

Windermere and Ambleside schools will be virtually identical.