Thread: Replacement of trees in our city

C2E Long Term Contributor

Default Replacement of trees in our city

Credit should be given where credit is due and in this case it is to the city crews and staff who have replaced the dead trees they recently cut down. Not only replaced though, but done so in a posthaste fashion and with trees that are of decent caliper and WITH leaves:>

I was so worried that we would be left a season or two without these being replaced.

And while our condo lost a beautiful big elm, we have gained a cute little tree that will now be a tree I can return to in 10, 30, 50 years and remember when I lived in that condo.

cheers
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

I know this is a rave thread, but it is still frustrating to see the mixed policies in this city. Right now, a bunch of nice pine trees on the VFC lands have been cut down on 142 street, and left in front of the appartment there (I'm guessing a renter complained about shade or similar). Sad to see, but good to hear that some new trees are going up in other areas.

^if they are on private land, that is not a city issue.

I am very concerned and saddened to hear that the elms on whyte from 99st-millcreek are slated to be removed for that street is one of the most pleasant in the city.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Rant 1: Had they watered the trees in the first place, they wouldn't have needed to be cut down. I noticed on 98ave by Muttart on the north side of the road, all the trees by the road in the park were dying or dead, but the trees a few feet west on the condo property were all green and full, likely because someone watered them routinely.

Rant 2: Can we get trees planted on Fort Road now that the work is done? It's grotesquely barren without the trees we were promised.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post

I am very concerned and saddened to hear that the elms on whyte from 99st-millcreek are slated to be removed for that street is one of the most pleasant in the city.
    That's awful. Every street in the city should have trees like that.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    How does that work though? When you rezone your land, I thought the city looked at mature trees. Those are on private land.

I guess hard to "enforce" anything anyway though, as if the City gets too picky on rezonings or similar, then developers will just cut the trees down before they start the process or go for the permits.

I'd rather C2E than work!

this is an issue with the type of trees that are being planted as well as the watering (by the city or the caring neighboring residents and business')
    Lets hope they are not replacing these with ash trees

I'm not up on trees, are ash not good in our climate? What's a better option?

C2E Continued Contributor

Speaking of trees, the city plans on cutting down 70 out of 100 trees on Whyte ave mainly between 99st and the Mill Creek ravine. They say these treets are dead but think this is pretty ridiculous considering there is actually foliage and leaves growing from them.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by KingswayGuy View Post
    Speaking of trees, the city plans on cutting down 70 out of 100 trees on Whyte ave mainly between 99st and the Mill Creek ravine. They say these treets are dead but think this is pretty ridiculous considering there is actually foliage and leaves growing from them.
    it's ashame. i'd say maybe 40% of them are on their way out in the next 3 years if things were allowed to progress naturally. the remaining ones look healthy enough to leave.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...233/story.html

Link to Whyte ave tree article. Looks like they might be able to save an extra 50 with extensive pruning, but they'll likely be dead in a few years anyway. Sounds like watering isn't the issue, but soil quality due to compaction and salt, and physical damage from snow plows.

Something worth mentioning is vandalism. 50 years ago when all the big trees in the city were just wee little sprouts, I'm willing to bet there was more respect for them. All too often I see new trees planted along boulevards only to be kicked down by losers or driven over by ***** drivers, so they never get a chance to grow.

Addicted to C2E

Linda Duncan is attacking Don Iveson on Twitter for the Whyte Avenue tree cull:

how does Iveson square touting a consult on how to green the City as he allows Whyte Ave elms cut and swath of forest cut for the LRT?
    A bit over the top, I think.
    http://www.twitter.com/ckls

Addicted to C2E

The city needs to balance the tree with safety. As a tree gets old they are more prone to falling down. Just imagine the hew and cry if one of those trees on Whyte falls on a car injurying someone and the subsequent investigations is negligence by the city. Trees do not live forever. Some live a very long others don't. It is the circle of life, deal with it.

South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

I'm not sure if they are Dutch elm on Whyte. If so, they may be diseased and must be removed to prevent the spread of it to others. It does look as though they have suffered drought damage and not enough area at the base to draw moisture in.
    Strange how we have no concern of the removal of nice green space all over the city to construct the bland edifices we call the burbs. The Henday expansion wiped out a large swath of bush and very mature trees from SPR too the Yellowhead. Sherwood park has destroyed vast areas of natural land in the past 15 years in the pursuit of siding clad ugliness.
    Hence why I enjoy my oversize property with all my large trees and greenery. I have a Birch on the boulevard in front of my house which will die this year. I won't wait for the city to replace it, I'll plant one myself as my neighbour did and save the city the 1000 odd dollars to do so.
    Last edited by cnr67; 21-05-2010 at 11:35 PM.
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post
    I'm not up on trees, are ash not good in our climate? What's a better option?
    Green Ash is a fine tree for Edmonton - if not used to excess.

My problem with them is that they are far too common, grow poorly and very slowly in poor soil and often seem to loose their leaves too early in the fall.

Since ash are so common and seem to loose their leaves early, I think they do a great disservice to Edmonton's image by making our summer and fall 'seem' shorter than it is.

Unfortunately the City often takes a rather black and white approach to too many decisions. Note the comment below... This is true of spruce but not so much with pines. Pines often loose the lower branches or can have then easily pruned with no ill effect. (I imagine the needles might be a drainage issue.)

http://www.edmonton.ca/environmental...mmon-tree.aspx

"Note: evergreens should not be planted close to walkways, streets, or buildings because of their broad base that will become an obstruction as the tree matures. The City of Edmonton no longer plants spruce or pine on residential boulevards for this reason."

South Beverly Heights in a small house with a large lot!!

I've always wondered why Sugar or Amur Maple wasn't chosen. Most varieties are hardy to this zone(2-3),grow rather quickly and are easily pruned for the location planted in.Not to mention they look incredible in the autumn. Case in point down 97 st north of 137 ave.
    Make the RIGHT choice before you take your last breath......

This is quite informative...
    http://forums.northscaping.com/post?id=1970918

I believe it was this organization that about 100 years ago planted silver maple boulevard trees in the High Street area.

http://www.edmontonhort.com/about/historyexpanded.php

Good idea:

Database helps plant 'right tree for the right place' - BBC News

"City planner tend to like 10 to 15 species of tree, and they like to plant them again and again - that's not really biodiversity," Dr Vogt observed.
    "This is why we put in 390 trees and shrubs into the database so there was a huge range of different species and varieties

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-37980832

I miss the 1980's in Edmonton, thats when i last lived there, everyone was cool, bars were hot with great folks, great bands playing, streets were safe even after midnight...
    Please Help! Even small donations are needed ASAP! https://www.gofundme.com/fundsforjustin

oh wow and I thought I missed the 80s. Good times
    Time spent in the Rockies is never deducted from the rest of your life

Yeah, i met a girlfriend there, she was so nice, and i was so polite, i was a gentleman, she was a lady, I dropped her off at home after midnight and after having a few at the old Kingsway Tavern i think it was, and she said "i hope to see you again" and then her brother introduced himself and said "hey grease-ball, stay away from mys sister"..I wasn't greasy, just a fat ball...so I never saw her again .
    Please Help! Even small donations are needed ASAP! https://www.gofundme.com/fundsforjustin

What does all this have to do with tree replacement?
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Sorry, got off track yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    What does all this have to do with tree replacement?