Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,700 of 1740

Thread: Whyte Ave/Old Strathcona Retail Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    The thing that jumped out at me was this:

The entry fee will be $15, which includes one hot or cold drink. Edmontonians will be able to enjoy hour-long visits from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. and potentially even later on weekends.
    So... $15 and you get to spend an hour in there with a hot/cold drink? That seems extremely expensive, and makes an outing there into something that would happen once every 6-12 months, just for the novelty. I wish them well, but I don't think that's going to be very viable. How do cat cafes work in other parts of the world?
    I think it's comparable to what I saw in Japan which was about $10/hour

C2E Hard Core Contributor

^^I agree... seems like a lame business model. Wee Book Inn lets me pet their cats for free!
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

The thing that jumped out at me was this:

The entry fee will be $15, which includes one hot or cold drink. Edmontonians will be able to enjoy hour-long visits from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. and potentially even later on weekends.
    So... $15 and you get to spend an hour in there with a hot/cold drink? That seems extremely expensive, and makes an outing there into something that would happen once every 6-12 months, just for the novelty. I wish them well, but I don't think that's going to be very viable. How do cat cafes work in other parts of the world?
    Didn't read it, but glad you pointed that out. I was about to share this with cat lovers I know, but that seems quite steep. Why not just let the entry fee be a latte at a regular price? Most people will grab their drink from elsewhere and go home to see their own cat.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Hmmm, I didn't read the article so perhaps it was explained. But if I can't bring my dog or hypothetical pussy cat into my local McDonald's, what makes them think I can do it in their cafe where food and drink will also be served?

C2E Long Term Contributor

^^ Not everyone has a cat at home. Remember that quite a few people still live in buildings where pets are not allowed.
    ^ The article says there will be a separate section for the food and another for the kitties.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

There's one in Van I know of and friends went there, but their cats are all up for adoption. They run in conjunction with agencies to have the pets that are there interact with a prospective owner and eventually be adopted. That's a model I can get behind.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

^I love that idea. There are so many cats that need adoption, it's a win-win.
    www.decl.org

Forgot to mention they charge about a similar rate, but obviously the fee of entry go to a different cause.

I'm curious if they did market research and found that people would be willing to pay that much? If they do smart marketing to old people (ie. not Facebook) they could get a pretty good regular crowd of seniors in there that maybe can't take care of a pet but want to enjoy their company.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

There's been quite a few cat cafe popups in the last couple of years that did quite well. I think most were by pet adoption agencies to get some cats adoptions done, so I think this new cafe could do likewise. But cat cafes have been successful elsewhere.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 25-03-2017 at 09:34 PM.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Rumor has it there is a cat cafe in the works for 109 street, just north of Macewan.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Edmonton's first permanent cat cafe opening up
    The storefront at Whyte Ave and 101 Street launches March 30, with six resident kittens and locally roasted ACE coffee.

http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmonto...=1490329023020

Vivian Deng and Fei Xie are opening Cat Café on Whyte, Edmonton’s first permanent opportunity to pet a cat while you sip a latte, next week. The storefront at Whyte Ave and 101 Street launches March 30, with six resident kittens and locally roasted ACE coffee.

https://twitter.com/CTVYEGBuzz/statu...44465090473984

They totally missed an opportunity for a fun name like "I Fits I Sips" or some play on cat memery.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

^ No memes, thank the lord!

Just heard that the cats are provided by a rescue society and are up for adoption.

Figured. Then if it's run well it'll do well.

Grandin 2014--, Garneau 2012-2014, North Downtown 2006-2012

This is the sort of place I can see myself going to occasionally. I love cats and used to have them. But even if my building allowed them I don't think I would want to get back into the ownership myself. I remember the endless treadmill of vet bills and the mess of kitty litter boxes. I think I really would prefer just to enjoy a random cat and a book and a coffee in a place like this.

The $15 fee is trivial compared to what I see others on this very board spend money on.

Similarly, in the past, I have enjoyed the dog walking bit but I don't think I could handle the responsibility of being a dog owner. It's a remarkably difficult thing to arrange though.

Job No 246460037-001
    Description: To change the use from PFO to Restaurant (Public Space 189.4 sq m 94 seats) and allow for interior alteration.
    Plan RN4 Blk 132 Lot 13
    Applicant: LAWLOR DESIGN & INTERIORS, NICOLE
    Create Date: 4/27/2017 10:10:27 AM

I'd rather C2E than work!

FYI - that's the old American Apparel space.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Drove down Whyte this afternoon but I didn't have time to walk around to get a better look. However, traffic was heavy enough to allow for a few observations.

H2O has "For Lease" signs on it, thank the lord. Personally I think they should just dynamite that entire strip mall.
    SUN Toyota continues to be a riff-raff magnet so I wish they'd do something with this.
    Sara Express is closed and papered up - another Middle Eastern place that nobody will miss.
    Still no signs up on Cafe Mosaics - are they now too cool for one?
    I vaguely recall signs for a new Portuguese restaurant, can't remember the name or where, other than on the north side of Whyte.
    Heard on the news that Packrat Louies is closed for renovations but reopening soon with a new chef.

H2O has "For Lease" signs on it, thank the lord. Personally I think they should just dynamite that entire strip mall.
    Yes, yes they should. Every time I get excited for a long-term vacancy, they seem to get it filled with something.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Yes, yes they should. Every time I get excited for a long-term vacancy, they seem to get it filled with something.
    I think the For Lease sign is referring to the vacant tattoo shop. As for knocking it down, I believe part of the issue at WMS is the soil is dirty. You want to knock it down there will be remediation or maybe you can rebuild slab on grade again.
    Last edited by bpeters; 15-05-2017 at 08:37 AM.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Good one SDM.

Top_Dawg trots by it on his way to BP's Lounge.

He can't believe how busy this cornholio joint is all the time.

There's very few purely-vegetarian/vegan restaurants in Edmonton & Café Mosaics is pretty much it for the Whyte Ave strip (plus it's great food). Not really a mystery as to why it's busy.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

Quote Originally Posted by bpeters View Post
    I think the For Lease sign is referring to the vacant tattoo shop. As for knocking it down, I believe part of the issue at WMS is the soil is dirty. You want to knock it down there will be remediation or maybe you can rebuild slab on grade again.
    No, I'm fairly certain the For Lease signs were on the windows of the H2O space.
    Next time I'm on Whyte Ave I will try to remember to stop and snap pics!

245140441-002
    16-May-2017
    10615 - 82 AVENUE NW
    Plan I Blk 64 Lots 1-4

To demolish an existing Automotive and Minor Recreation Vehicle Sales/Rentals Use building.

B&B DEMOLITION

Job No 252059520-001
    Description: To construct an exterior alteration (shifting the building) and to change the Use from a General Retail Store to a Specialty Food Services and to construct an interior alterations.
    Plan I Blk 67 Lot 31
    Applicant: HODGSON SCHILF ARCHITECTS (IAN EVANS)
    Create Date: 5/17/2017 9:38:55 AM

"Shifting the building" seems like a pretty big activity.

No, I'm fairly certain the For Lease signs were on the windows of the H2O space.
    And you would be wrong. It is the tattoo shop.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

^^^That's the White & Blue Kit & Ace building.

Specialty food store... sounds interesting.

I vaguely recall signs for a new Portuguese restaurant, can't remember the name or where, other than on the north side of Whyte.
    OK, so the place in question is a Venezualean restaurant called Avila Arepa
    https://www.facebook.com/avilaarepa/
    http://www.myavilaarepa.com/

Avila Arepa on the left, FC Edmonton on the right:

Also, the Elephant & Castle on Whyte now has a Leased sign on it.

Links for the project at 10428 82 Ave are here:
    http://www.connect2edmonton.ca/showt...ighlight=10428

Bejan's link here:
    http://beljandevelopment.com/project...ment-building/

Friend of mine floated a heritage house on a barge from the Vancouver West End to another lot further inland... moving/shifting a house is not simple, but it's rewards are unlimited when it comes to the unique value added to the property, community, and urban environment. Enhancing urban character. Takes vision and guts and money.

Also, really enjoying the look and feel of Beljan's two new buildings right on Whyte, and the new vibe and pedestrian feel in the alley so far with the Crawford Block Annex. Excited to see the use of the closed alley by Malt&Mortar.

Someone from Cafe Mosaics must be a a follower of C2E.

In the last two weeks when Top_Dawg has managed to stagger over to BP's he noticed that they now have a sandwich board out on the sidewalk.

Was never there before.

Job No 252978378-002
    Description: To change the use from a General Retail Store to a Restaurant use (91 sq.m of public space) - Han Shi Fang (Hotpot & BBQ)
    Plan I Blk 66 Lots 8-10
    Applicant: QUEENSTAR SERVICE LTD.
    Create Date: 5/30/2017 2:37:30 PM

The old used bookstore I suppose? There's a big basement, that's for sure.

243463903-003
    29-May-2017
    10403 - 83 AVENUE NW
    Condo Common Area (Plan 0822029)

To change the use of a retail store to a restaurant and to construct interior alterations for Nathan's Kitchen. Scope of work includes upgrading demising wall to 2hr, 1 barrier-free washroom and 1 washroom.

RETROFIT DESIGN LTD

^Interesting. Will give it a visit when it's up and going. So glad to see a restaurant there. Not that I'm against religion or the dead, but the memorial chapel across the street would be a killer mixed-use building that would activate Wilbert Mac Park and that bit of 104 st.

Side note. I'm out of town. Anyone see how Crawford Blk and the Beljan alley orientated developments are doing?

Beljan looks great. Fleuvog is open, need to hop in and try on some shoes. Very happy with Crawford as well. 83 Ave was torn up last weekend for roadwork so I couldn't snap any shots, but the active alley is fantastic. I hope El Cortez/Have Mercy rework the rear of their properties for better interaction.

The Urban Diner on 109 St across from the Garneau Theatre is now Tang Bistro. Interesting menu (see the PDF).
    https://tangbistro.ca/

Another cursed spot. Just can't hold down a concept.

Urban diner was there for like a decade.

Heard some excellent news yesterday. The former DV8 space on 83 Ave and 99 st will be going to council on Monday, July 10. Proposed is a 6 storey building WITH ground floor retail! Something major must have happened after my talk with them, and the public consultation, because they were pretty sure they weren't going to be able to have ground floor retail. My guess is that there won't be any parking for the businesses in the building.

Very pleased and interested to hear council's response and local response.

Heard some excellent news yesterday. The former DV8 space on 83 Ave and 99 st will be going to council on Monday, July 10. Proposed is a 6 storey building WITH ground floor retail! Something major must have happened after my talk with them, and the public consultation, because they were pretty sure they weren't going to be able to have ground floor retail. My guess is that there won't be any parking for the businesses in the building.
    Great news. Look forward to seeing result.

Annnnnd, it's official! Just got this email moments ago:

Hello,

If you are receiving this email, it is because you provided your email address as a participant at the Open House or otherwise made contact with me as this application was being processed.

This email is to inform you that this rezoning and plan amendment application is scheduled for Public Hearing and consideration by City Council on July 10, 2017 at City Hall.

If approved, the zoning for 8301 - 99 Street NW would change from (DC2) site specific development control provision to a new (DC2) site specific development control provision. The proposed DC2 Provision would allow for a medium density mixed use development with the following characteristics:
    Maximum Height of 23.0 metres (approximately 6 storeys)
    Maximum Floor Area Ratio of 3.0
    Up to 22 residential dwellings
    Up to 340 square metres of commercial space on the ground storey
    This proposed rezoning (Bylaw 18078 ) is associated with a proposed amendment to the Strathcona Area Redevelopment Plan (Bylaw 18077) to clarify the requirement for buildings higher than 3 storeys to have the upper storeys stepped back to ensure compatibility and a sensitive transition to the street.

Sustainable Development supports these proposed bylaws.

More information, including the full Sustainable Development report, can be found by going to the Public Hearing agenda for July 10. The July 10 agenda is not quite up yet but will be up at least 2 weeks prior.

You can request to speak at the Public Hearing if you wish to make your views known directly to City Council prior to them making a decision.
    Last edited by Gord Lacey; 15-06-2017 at 12:43 PM.

I was thinking of ice cream for dessert so I checked to see if The Cone was coming back to 99 St this year, but they shut it down. Not sure why, I'm guessing it's because the sisters have finished university.

https://www.facebook.com/theconeyeg/

It is with heavy hearts that we announce we have sold The Cone.

These past two years have been absolutely amazing and we couldn't have done it with out YOU! Thank you to the people who came for ice cream ... and then came again! To the people who just stopped to say hello. To the people who followed us on social media, took photos of us, told your friends, family and strangers about us and who helped us out when we were in need ... THANK YOU.

Thank you to our parents who were the back bone of this business, who dropped everything to take our phone calls, listened to us complain about the rain, brought us dinners, worked the cash register and everything in between.

We are so sad that this journey is ending but so fortunate to have had this incredible experience and grateful that you all were part of it with us.

From the bottom of our hearts we love you and we'll miss you!

Sheridan and Shelby

Yeah, they weren't planning on coming back this year at all (they told me that last year). The older one (Sheridan) was done school and was looking for a "real job" and Shelby was finishing up this year, and would be job-hunting.

Was sitting in the frozen yogurt place yesterday looking out across Whyte, and I noticed there aren't any signs up at the CIBC beside the Black Dog. The bank is gone, leaving an interesting space on the Ave.

Yeah, that branch amalgamated with the branch on 99 Street a coupla months ago.

Top_Dawg agrees - it is a very interesting space.

By the way, thanks for popping into O2's and buying Top_Dawg a coupla beer.

How old is that CIBC building? I kinda like the looks of it so I hope it's repurposed instead of demolished.

Looks like 1951, according to maps.edmonton.ca. That may not be entirely correct, as they list 1960 for the Famoso building...

Banks can be weird because of the vaults, but we've seen previous banks repurposed before... though not successfully (the former Orange Market space comes to mind).

Dawg, I have no idea what you're talking about.
    Last edited by Gord Lacey; 26-06-2017 at 11:58 AM.

FanFan Patisserie: New bakery opens in Old Strathcona
    http://edmontonjournal.com/life/food...old-strathcona

open Tuesday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Saturday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Sunday from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at 10330 80 Ave., phone 780-803-3655.

RE:GRUB from Calgary opened today near Whyte Ave. Given the address and the news story showing Meat across the street, I presume it's below O2's.

http://www.regrub.ca/

CTV story:
    http://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/video?cli...ylistPageNum=1

Yup, it's below O2s. I saw it the other day when I was sitting in Meat and wondered what the new place was.

The burgers don't come with fries? So that'll run you $20? Unless that hand pressed patty handy j's me under the table I'll likely pass. Those shakes look cool but I'm not sure the world needs a 2500 calorie mason jar sugar crash peddler. I imagine the Insta pics don't show all the grossly obese people that actually drink these.

There are "For Lease" signs on the B & B electronics/Certified Audio space on Whyte and 97st. Talk about a neighbourhood ready to become a serious destination. Mill Creek Cafe just finished great looking renovations - he's putting on shows in the cafe and downstairs at Sewing Machine Factory these days. Maven and Grace, Mill Creek Framing, Colore DeVino, Earth's General, Pedal Heads, The Book Seller, Humpty's etc. And with the Ritchie Mill action just a short bike ride away...

This corner competes with any retail node in the city and it's only getting better.

Did Certified Radio move, or close?

Moved.

Very excited for a potential Humpty's redevelopment, and the Certified Radio space. The Sewing Machine Factory is a fantastic addition. Would like to see a better flow from one end of the bridge to the next.

Flow like the wide separated sidewalks? Or the pretty view of downtown framed by the trees?

Street interaction and activation. A distinct mixed-use/street-orientated/to-the-property-line connection across the ravine.

Fancy. Are you talking about the parking lots, east of the bridge in front of the optometrists, Sweet Mango and 7-11? They can be a drag.

Buildings are static. They do not "activate" or "interact" - people do. You gotta make the road by walking it.

^ Yes. Noting the optometrist building, the Sweet Mango structure, and definitely the 7-11 and the abandoned lot across the road - these two points and this intersection will probably be a marked emphasis point for the local Business Association that just formed (the entry to the "French Quarter"). Then the Humpty's on the west side of the bridge. Stressing the need for: "A distinct mixed-use/street-orientated/to-the-property-line connection". Proper zoning helps. Last time I checked the area has decent zoning.

A properly designed bridge would be helpful too. the sidewalks are wide, but not enough for a satisfactory mixed-use path which is what they will be with the 83ave lanes leading you to the bridge. Traffic lanes, on the other hand, are far wider than they need to be, with a painted median and shoulders just to rub in that there is space that could have been reallocated at zero cost.

it's designed like a freeway bridge, and it doesn't help things at all.
    There can only be one.

^Agree, and was a main concern of mine during the 83 ave consultation... "where will the bike lane go further east?". I think their response was, "it's outside the study area". The bridge is designated a shared-use path... but the whole route is lacking beyond 97 st. With the coming revised Strathcona ARP, Strathcona LRT, and Valley LRT, this node and the French Quarter need stronger or minimally revised rezoning/area plan. It's just not on their radar, however.

Frankly, I'm glad it's not on the radar of the BRZ. I want the BRZ supporting/promoting the existing businesses. There hasn't been a bay empty longer than a month in the Sweet Mango strip mall which tells me it's working for someone. The BRZ needs to help get tenants in that mostly empty bank across from 7-11. There is an existing building (to the-property-line connected) of a size large enough for multiple tenants (mixed-use) just waiting to "activate" the street.

The lot west of the optometrist is no longer empty. It's now growing a bunch of food for YESS. Details in the Journal today in fact.

Your bike lane on the east end of the bridge is called "any avenue in Bonnie Doon or Kenilworth other than Whyte."

With Poppy Barley opening their new store in Southgate Mall today, sounds like they closed their shop on Whyte Ave

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    Frankly, I'm glad it's not on the radar of the BRZ. I want the BRZ supporting/promoting the existing businesses. There hasn't been a bay empty longer than a month in the Sweet Mango strip mall which tells me it's working for someone. The BRZ needs to help get tenants in that mostly empty bank across from 7-11. There is an existing building (to the-property-line connected) of a size large enough for multiple tenants (mixed-use) just waiting to "activate" the street.

The lot west of the optometrist is no longer empty. It's now growing a bunch of food for YESS. Details in the Journal today in fact.

Your bike lane on the east end of the bridge is called "any avenue in Bonnie Doon or Kenilworth other than Whyte."

Actually, to Top_Dawg's recollection that wasn't the case with the CRU on the western end of that strip mall.

Before the baby store opened it sat for lease for a long time - at least five months.

And then after the baby store closed down it sat empty for quite a long time before the current health products store opened up.

Incidentally, it's too bad Wei-Wei massage moved out of the house on the corner.

Top_Dawg liked visiting that ol' shih-tzu every now and again for a good rub down.

You're right about all that TD. Rumour had it that the woman from BeBe Boutique was so angry at the Cite Francophone people that she signed a crazy lease just to get out of there. As per, she then couldn't carry the terms. Facts get in the way of fulminating.

I get my back up when too much emphasis is placed on "urban design". For geez sakes, sure the parking lots in that stretch are an occasional hindrance to walking/biking around but lordy a decision can be made to perambulate in the area. Sidewalks are there, crosswalks exist - what Highlander II describes as a "not satisfactory" mixed use path across the bridge is incorrect. It is exactly that - satisfactory. No, it's not some Jane Jacob's squirting wet dream of urban utopia. But it's fine. All this talk of "potential" and "proper design" sounds like so much excuse making. Go there, be there, support the businesses making it swing.

Quote Originally Posted by etownboarder View Post
    Hmmm, I didn't read the article so perhaps it was explained. But if I can't bring my dog or hypothetical pussy cat into my local McDonald's, what makes them think I can do it in their cafe where food and drink will also be served?
    Late to the game,sorry ...

Food prep is in one room - you have to go through two doors, sign a waiver and wash your hands to get to where the cats are. Clever set-up.
    ... gobsmacked

^^I do make it swing, but I never settle. Proactive rather than reactive. Not a jab, never do here, but that's my position on my community. When I talk about build form or infrastructure I don't talk about the "right now" - for there are definite immediate, or temporary, or cheap-yet-effective remedies - but I'm talking tools and strategies for the next 50 years, seeing most of these structures are not new. The garden has been a great addition to that corner. That professional building on Rue Marie is rather fine, a professional/office structure with a strange street design with varied elevations. Nothing to lament. The BRZ is doing a great job, but in the next 15 years the City and them need to look at that intersection.

The shared-use path across the bridge is satisfactory. Very much so. However I don't want to see issues is 15 years after the bike lane is complete, and the LRT hits Bonnie Doon, and density in the area continues. It's a busy route, and seeing the High Level Bridge issues, I don't want similar problems here... seeing the bridge was rehabbed shortly ago. It's true any route through Bonnie Doon will be fine, especially after the rehab work on the streets, but again, proactive rather than reactive.

Side note: Workhall expanded a while back into 2 bays in their location on Whyte. And if you haven't had the chance, Malt & Mortar patio by the closed-off alley is remarkable. Still writing to The City about zoning changes in regards to alley activation.

Quote Originally Posted by ajs View Post
    You're right about all that TD. Rumour had it that the woman from BeBe Boutique was so angry at the Cite Francophone people that she signed a crazy lease just to get out of there. As per, she then couldn't carry the terms. Facts get in the way of fulminating.

I get my back up when too much emphasis is placed on "urban design". For geez sakes, sure the parking lots in that stretch are an occasional hindrance to walking/biking around but lordy a decision can be made to perambulate in the area. Sidewalks are there, crosswalks exist - what Highlander II describes as a "not satisfactory" mixed use path across the bridge is incorrect. It is exactly that - satisfactory. No, it's not some Jane Jacob's squirting wet dream of urban utopia. But it's fine. All this talk of "potential" and "proper design" sounds like so much excuse making. Go there, be there, support the businesses making it swing.
    Well, I'm pretty sure that it's not the 2.5m needed to meet the city's minimum standards, so I would say that's not satisfactory. I'm not satisfied. "Not Satisfactory" doesn't mean that it's the most urgent issue in the whole city, just that we should do better. Thankfully we are doing better, one bit at a time, but even the new stuff has lots of room to get better.
    There can only be one.

^It's barely wide enough for 2 bikes to pass. Lots of dogs there due to Ravine.

As a note to what the French Quarter BRZ encompasses: https://www.edmonton.ca/business_eco...uarter_BRZ.pdf As well as their site for reference: http://www.frenchquarteredmonton.ca/

"The French Quarter will lead this areas revitalization, leveraging its resources to beautify the district, attract, retain and promote areas commerce and encourage the development and utilisation of its great outdoor spaces.Our Goal is to create a walkable, trendy district whereby we can further promote local businesses and services while continuing to cultivate this area as a preferred destination to live, shop, work and play."
    Last edited by GenWhy?; 03-08-2017 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    ^^I do make it swing, but I never settle. Proactive rather than reactive. Not a jab, never do here, but that's my position on my community. When I talk about build form or infrastructure I don't talk about the "right now" - for there are definite immediate, or temporary, or cheap-yet-effective remedies - but I'm talking tools and strategies for the next 50 years, seeing most of these structures are not new. The garden has been a great addition to that corner. That professional building on Rue Marie is rather fine, a professional/office structure with a strange street design with varied elevations. Nothing to lament. The BRZ is doing a great job, but in the next 15 years the City and them need to look at that intersection.
    Good answer.

As I suspected, our aims converge but we fundamentally disagree about execution. I wish I had your faith in institutional change, the durability of common sense, and the impact an individual can have outside of personal decisions. Pardon my skepticism but one too many collective action failures leaves a fella jaded. Don't knock "settling" - it's a useful path to contentment. As for proactive - I bought that pimple cream and the zits came anyway.

^Not institutional change. Also not settling and being proactive from a City Planning / Area Redevelopment Plan / BRZ perspective, mostly is where I'm coming from. Cities are in a state of constant flux. I feel Whyte from the bridge to 75th Street lacks a 20-year outlook. The City will be playing catch-up which leads to poor or planning-for-yesterday schemes, especially with LRT at Bonnie Doon. The new Plan Whyte ARP adjustment is years behind and that is what I fear as being a reactive strategy. There needs to be a real conversation on adjustments to specifics within zoning in the ARP and how that aids the community (parking, setbacks for wider sidewalks, family housing %, affordability, extra density or other relaxation bonuses, laneway activation, etc). Baby steps, I guess.

Ávila Arepa on Whyte Avenue is open, gonna have to check them out sometime
    http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmonto...ong-dream.html

About 107 street area if I remember. Good eats on Art Walk. I'd recommend. Neat addition.

Yep, here it be:
    https://www.facebook.com/avilaarepa/
    http://www.myavilaarepa.com/

Avila Arepa on the left, FC Edmonton on the right:

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

Someone from Cafe Mosaics must be a a follower of C2E.

In the last two weeks when Top_Dawg has managed to stagger over to BP's he noticed that they now have a sandwich board out on the sidewalk.

Was never there before.

Actually you've probably tripped over it before. l) There was one, maybe it was mothballed for awhile. They were actually one of the early adopters of sidewalk signage.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Not sure if anybody had commented on Situation Brewing but it would be hard to make a microbrewery location that looks less interesting. Here we have a hodgepodge of a microbrewery and all the guts of that contrasted with the ambience (I'm being sarcastic) of a Joeys. All the boring finish inside and out, very little character or edge to it. Its really hard to come up with a boring establishment in Old Strathcona but this seems to suffice.

So that now you have the Inane Hudsons and SB on the same block. Yawn.

Fortunately El Cortez have done a knock out job on that location and a place with a ton of atmosphere. Where would you rather be? Who actually goes to such standardized fare places like Hudsons and SB and why?
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

^
    Micobrews can be Earls in style and taste and less... of the niche styling, and that's ok. They can lose or make money as they see fit. I see it as a great investment into the area as an addition to the dynamic of Old Strathcona's establishments. A little for everyone. Suburbs, older, younger, mature 'hood, etc...

Hudson's? Lots of people. Always packed. Usually folks wanting standard and predictable fare, prices, and watch a game. We (guess you could call us hipster Gen Y's) go there for game days, or for reg. Joe drinks and food if we're not wanting anything in particular. Or I take my parents or 50+ people when on The Ave. Whyte caters to all. El Cortez, Julios, Hudson's, Pack Rat, The Commercial, MKT, and Buckingham all have different clientele and that's what makes Whyte so great and not some bourgeois or hipster ghetto. Whyte has established a pretty decent day and night time balance of establishments.

Actually, I've been to Situation twice now. They have a nice big communal table, some sofa style chairs that look comfortable, massive windows that open fully. Caters to a mix of age groups, lovers of beer for the most part. Overall I think it's a fantastic addition with a pretty good menu too. A bit pricey on the food side but at least the food was good.

Situation's not my favourite place either but they've done something right. They appear have to established themselves as a real "neighbourhood" place.

Actually, I've been to Situation twice now. They have a nice big communal table, some sofa style chairs that look comfortable, massive windows that open fully. Caters to a mix of age groups, lovers of beer for the most part. Overall I think it's a fantastic addition with a pretty good menu too. A bit pricey on the food side but at least the food was good.
    A microbrew is selling different from mainstream beer. So unique beer in other words. But has adopted standard interior/exterior finishes. The outside looks particularly generic. The tables and chairs look uninviting. The Windows are about the best thing about the place but then also limit the look and feel of the place.

Hell if I`m building a Microbrew I would install things like Garage doors that open up onto patios and have some rustic, edgy, look to the place. Not polished finishings. To me what they are, and how it looks doesn`t mesh.

[QUOTE=Replacement;841876]
    Hell if I`m building a Microbrew I would install things like Garage doors that open up onto patios and have some rustic, edgy, look to the place. Not polished finishings. To me what they are, and how it looks doesn`t mesh.
    So you would make it look exactly like every other micro brewery/ hipster bar?

^Some people don't want rustic? They're doing well, and I'm glad they're in the 'hood. Kinda like a Blind Enthusiasm.

^
    Micobrews can be Earls in style and taste and less... of the niche styling, and that's ok. They can lose or make money as they see fit. I see it as a great investment into the area as an addition to the dynamic of Old Strathcona's establishments. A little for everyone. Suburbs, older, younger, mature 'hood, etc...

Hudson's? Lots of people. Always packed. Usually folks wanting standard and predictable fare, prices, and watch a game. We (guess you could call us hipster Gen Y's) go there for game days, or for reg. Joe drinks and food if we're not wanting anything in particular. Or I take my parents or 50+ people when on The Ave. Whyte caters to all. El Cortez, Julios, Hudson's, Pack Rat, The Commercial, MKT, and Buckingham all have different clientele and that's what makes Whyte so great and not some bourgeois or hipster ghetto. Whyte has established a pretty decent day and night time balance of establishments.
    Situation was actually a great improvement to the space it took over and I think it is a great concept. It's not right on Whyte Ave and not in an old building, but they actually did a good job with that corner and it is a very nice place.

^Highly agree.

252978378-005
    26-Jul-2017
    10532 - 82 AVENUE NW
    Plan I Blk 66 Lots 8-10

To construct interior alterations to an existing multi-use commercial building ("Han Shi Fang Hotpot & BBQ").

SPAN ARCHITECTURE INC

246460037-002
    04-Aug-2017
    10750 - 82 AVENUE NW
    Plan RN4 Blk 132 Lot 13

To change the use from mercantile to assembly (Group E to A2) and construct interior alterations (fit up for a cafe/boardgame business) - Hexagon Board Game Cafe.

LAWLOR DESIGN & INTERIORS

Huh, so Hexagon is moving to American Apparel. That's a bummer - I'll be sad to see them leave East Whyte.

They will get more foot traffic there than on East Whyte, which sadly is still a no-go for most pedestrians.

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    A microbrew is selling different from mainstream beer. So unique beer in other words. But has adopted standard interior/exterior finishes. The outside looks particularly generic. The tables and chairs look uninviting. The Windows are about the best thing about the place but then also limit the look and feel of the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    ^

Situation was actually a great improvement to the space it took over and I think it is a great concept. It's not right on Whyte Ave and not in an old building, but they actually did a good job with that corner and it is a very nice place.
    I'm happy they've done well as it seems like they're always busy. I find the room layout less than ideal. There's a few good seats and the rest feel awkward. The bathrooms feel like they would be at home at a rural hall. Food is OK, though I find the menu rather unapproachable. The real sore spot is their beer. I'm just not a fan. For the hype around craft beer, Edmonton still doesn't have any that's really worth drinking. Yellowhead needs serious improvement. It might be the worst anal bog water ever made.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Haven't tried Situation's brews yet, but otherwise agreed, there isn't a really good Edmonton craft brewer (I think Yellowhead is alright, but that's basically all they make). Which is odd when you've got ones like Troubled Monk (Red Deer), Bench Creek (Edson), Ribstone Creek (Edgerton), Blindman (Lacombe), Wood Buffalo (Fort Mac) and so on. I tried a few bottles of Bent Stick last year, and they were awful. They should never have passed quality control. Alley Kat has always been very mediocre, as well.

Two Sergeants is in Fort Saskatchewan, and that's probably the only good one in the capital region, depending on how Situation stacks up.

^Side note: The interesting thing is most of those I know that got started in Edmonton, once they wanted an operation had to move outside of Edmonton to find a space that allowed a brewery, was well located, and had decent rent. Blindman, for instance, is local (Edmonton), but opened their operation in Lacombe for business reasons. New zoning rules will change this in the years to come, and I'd like to see the industrial spaces around Gateway and 99st south of the river (staying on topic to Whyte Ave issues) turn into what Vancouver has for around South of False Creek With 33 Acres, Steel Toad, and Steel & Oak. Blind Enthusiasm will be a neat venture that direction.

Signs saying that Goodwill is moving into the Un Toyota space, I guess that will free up their space on Gateway Blvd.

[QUOTE=ddubhead;841944]
    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    So you would make it look exactly like every other micro brewery/ hipster bar?
    I'd rather have that then look like the generic bars with zero atmosphere that look like they were cooked up out of a home depot catalog.

In this very city we have close to a dozen places where one can go to get hardware, windows, doors finishes, fixtures etc and come up with a unique repurposed look incorporating stuff that isn't even made anymore. Indeed Edmonton is a hotbed of upcycling and consumers are right into this, but oddly the corporate sector is slow to this. They would rather design character than actually pick it up and repurpose it when its just sitting there waiting to be used by somebody.
    Last edited by Replacement; 14-08-2017 at 10:13 PM.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast