Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718
Results 1,701 to 1,782 of 1782

Thread: Whyte Ave/Old Strathcona Retail Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Haven't tried Situation's brews yet, but otherwise agreed, there isn't a really good Edmonton craft brewer (I think Yellowhead is alright, but that's basically all they make). Which is odd when you've got ones like Troubled Monk (Red Deer), Bench Creek (Edson), Ribstone Creek (Edgerton), Blindman (Lacombe), Wood Buffalo (Fort Mac) and so on. I tried a few bottles of Bent Stick last year, and they were awful. They should never have passed quality control. Alley Kat has always been very mediocre, as well.

Two Sergeants is in Fort Saskatchewan, and that's probably the only good one in the capital region, depending on how Situation stacks up.
    Grizzly Paw out of Canmore is my current go-to Alberta craft beer. Pick up a case of the mix pack, it's all rather good. I often find myself straddling the border and pick up Fernie Brewing. Very happy with their beer.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post

Grizzly Paw out of Canmore is my current go-to Alberta craft beer. Pick up a case of the mix pack, it's all rather good. I often find myself straddling the border and pick up Fernie Brewing. Very happy with their beer.
    If you get a chance while in Canmore again give Canmore Brewing Company a try. I too, like the beer and selection at Grizzly Paw but gave the new group a try. Liked it. A lot. Particularly the 'Ten Peaks'. Can be found in some of the local establishments as well.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    They will get more foot traffic there than on East Whyte, which sadly is still a no-go for most pedestrians.
    If you're talking 101 Street to 99th, yeah, not as much foot traffic, but man that area south of Whyte that used to be all light industrial is seeing major condo construction.

My guess is, down the road East Whyte will getting more and more local traffic (nifty new coffee shops, etc already there), while "tourists" mostly stay west of the tracks.
    ... gobsmacked

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I like popping in to GP when I'm in Canmore as their food is decent too, but find that their beers don't come across great from the bottle.

I like popping in to GP when I'm in Canmore as their food is decent too, but find that their beers don't come across great from the bottle.
    Not great, but better than almost anything else brewed in this province.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Maybe we could have the craft beer talk split from the Whyte Ave retail discussion?

I noticed that they FINALLY cleaned up the big dirt pile on Whyte and 100 st. I wonder whether they'll ever get around to putting up that medical building they were planning...
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Sorry Gord, the Situation Brewing talk got off topic

I was down at Have Mercy recently and I'm really into the alley work in the area. I hope eventually all the alleys become activated. Great way to add life to the area while making it more walkable as a whole.

The parking lot between 102 st and gateway doesn't help the mental divide on Whyte. If the streetcar was allowed to put their terminus next to the Washroom (sand on whyte space), that would help slightly.

On the south edge of Whyte, establishments like snowy dessert, dorinku, da capo, under the high wheel has helped draw people "east of the tracks"

I'm hoping the Toyota lot can become a multi-use building with 4 storeys of resi on top and retail street level.

C2E Long Term Contributor

^ Goodwill is moving into the SUN Toyota dealership building.
    Their used car lot east of Gateway is ripe for redevelopment, if that's what you meant.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I wouldn't call Goodwill a major win but at the moment anything that draws foot traffic helps. They're only open until 5pm though... that's a sore point on that strip.

Love the name choice.

It’s a Sign! Spur Line Alley
    August 25, 2017

The sign to mark the honorary naming of ‘Spur Line Alley’ was installed on Whyte Avenue today. The name was suggested by Edmontonians Tianna Albrecht and Mario Panizzo, whose entry was chosen in the Name the Alley! Competition, which was organized by CITYlab, the Old Strathcona Business Association, and the City of Edmonton’s Naming Committee.

“‘Spur Line’ gives a nod to the railway history in the area and is a bit of a play on words,” said Marco Melfi, Planner with the City of Edmonton. “In railway terms, spurs are a branch off of a railway route and similarly, the alley is a like a spur off Whyte Avenue.”

The Name That Alley! competition invited Edmontonians to give an honorary name to the alley turned pedestrian space on Whyte Avenue between 104 and 105 streets. The Naming Committee reviewed all 67 submissions and revealed the approved name at an event in the Alley in June.

The competition and the alley painting party to launch the competition, invited Edmontonians to participate in the Alley’s transformation to a pedestrian plaza. The honorary name continues that transformation and allows us to identify this plaza is a shared space to bring people together.

For more information:

edmonton.ca/citylab

Media contact:

Adrienne F. Hill
    Communications Advisor
    Sustainable Development
    780-944-1510
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Sorry Gord, the Situation Brewing talk got off topic

I was down at Have Mercy recently and I'm really into the alley work in the area. I hope eventually all the alleys become activated. Great way to add life to the area while making it more walkable as a whole.
    We're really trying to get the City to commit to a plan to enhance the alley between 103 and 104 Streets by Crawford Block. We have picked up the Dominion Hotel building on that block and plan to open up the main floor to the alley as well. So we've made our commitment by placing retail fronting the alley on two buildings with another one coming. So the private sector is doing their part, we need the City to do theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisD View Post
    We have picked up the Dominion Hotel building on that block and plan to open up the main floor to the alley as well.
    Is that the hotel on the corner housing the Strat? If so, that could be transformative yet again.

^ This is the Dominion Hotel building:
    https://goo.gl/maps/BbkAaBM1mjm

“You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Gotcha. Love that building.

^^^^

With the back alley Crawford Block residential - this alley would seem prime for some pedestrian-friendly love.
    ... gobsmacked

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Isn't that building a replicated new construction of what was before? Rebuilt in the 80's.

yes, that isnt' the original.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

Just to bump the latest edition of the Plan Whyte area redevelopment and rezoning scheme:

https://www.edmonton.ca/documents/Ro...dsJun20217.pdf
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

So, which one are they leaning towards in the document?
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

It's kind of a mixture of the two scenarios with 16+ stories allowed south of about 80th Ave around the Gateway and Calgary Trail corridors. As far as I've been in the loop. This is from June and I've paid little attention to it since it went back to the City.

The final plan should be here by either November or start of 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    with 16+ stories allowed south of about 80th Ave around the Gateway and Calgary Trail corridors
    I think that makes perfect sense. It won't affect current residents that way, and those are both busy roads so there won't be claims of an increase in traffic that'll cause problems.

Too bad busy roads aren't where people want to live.
    There can only be one.

^The Strathcona Junction ARP has some interesting solutions to that issue. 104 St isn't horribly busy, and I'd say less busy than 109 St north and south of the river, and maybe just as bad as Jasper Ave west of 109 St. If the area is zoned 16+ storey residential, then I'm pretty sure someone is going to build something that will make a profit, and people will definitely try to get a chance at living near Whyte in a new building where the options are currently limited.

The "high density" area is 105st to 103st and 81ave to 79 ave, with a small block of 106st to 105 st along 81 ave. That's a lot of parking lots, single family homes, and strip malls. 104 St from 81 ave to 79 ave would be like living in a tall building along Jasper ave. It's all about design. Put most of the 1-bedrooms facing 104st and have larger bedroom units higher up along setbacks and along the alley which could be more of a mews with townhomes are the podium. 104 st is really only a 3 lane road most of the day with a underutilized bus lane (which is on the chopping block. This plan also calls for making 104st only a south-bound one-way. Doing away with earlier plans to make it contra-flow and more neighbourhood orientated until University Ave.

The biggest area of interest is the City parking lot between 81 and 80 ave on 105st. It'll be most likely zoned above 6 storeys, and seeing the selling price, hopefully at above 6 storeys it'll have more rentals and some larger suites. The lot presents a very unique opportunity for the area and from a design standpoint for bringing in something new and interesting. Lane-orientated CRU's, mews, townhomes, larger suites. It also will entice others with the up-zoned lots to change their outlook on their land potential and costs.

I've heard word that the Elephant and Castle space is now occupied by a new pub. http://www.oldtownpub.ca/

Haven't had a chance to check it out yet, but my friend said it is pretty much the same.

Yes it is.

In fact Top_Dawg trotted by yesterday and spotted it.

First week.

Soft opening.

They really cleaned the place up but the bones are basically the same.

Top_Dawg had a pint of **** beer.

Fi buck.

Then he had an ice cold bottle of Canadian.

$5.50.

So pretty reasonable.

Top_Dawg will make this a regular stop when he's doing his rounds of Whyte avenue.

Did they arrange the seating in such a way that it fits more than 7 people now? Do the pissers smell better than the back end of a hooker that hasn't showered in a week?

Posters, please.

Do the pissers smell better than the back end of a hooker that hasn't showered in a week?
    Do you really mean to advertise your social proclivities in public?
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by Spudly View Post
    Do the pissers smell better than the back end of a hooker that hasn't showered in a week?
    Do you really mean to advertise your social proclivities in public?
    I'm not Dawg. I don't need to pay some used catcher's mitt to pull my wrinkles out.

Did they arrange the seating in such a way that it fits more than 7 people now?
    From what Top_Dawg saw, the seating is pretty much the same.

it's pretty narrow when you first come in but there is ample floor seating at the back.

And there is the whole second floor.

Top_Dawg doesn't know what you are referring to.

When it was the Castle, Top_Dawg doesn't recall the pisser being a horror show.

It was always fairly clean and Top_Dawg doesn't recall any particularly horrid stench.

I'm not Dawg. I don't need to pay some used catcher's mitt to pull my wrinkles out.

Good one.

Hmm, I vaguely recall it having that urine and hurl stench from decades of soaked in late nights. You could be desensitized to that particular dive bar fragrance lol

Style magnate John Fluevog puts stamp on Edmonton with store
    http://edmontonjournal.com/life/fash...-fluevog-store

That store has the coolest shoes I would never wear.

Sugared & Spiced turns back-alley bake shop into hot destination
    New bakery bursts from home-based business delivering cakes

http://edmontonjournal.com/life/food...ot-destination
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

^ Anyone tried this place recently?

Yup, I've been there a number of times. It's really good stuff, but definitely on the pricier side. A cinnamon bun (excellent), and brownie are each $5, which is above average for the other bakeries I've been to.

The doomed corner, most recently known as "Orange Market," has been leased. I just looked it up and it's going to be "National Access Cannabis."

Also, the space beside Malt & Mortar is leased, though I don't know what's going in.

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    The doomed corner, most recently known as "Orange Market," has been leased. I just looked it up and it's going to be "National Access Cannabis."

Also, the space beside Malt & Mortar is leased, though I don't know what's going in.
    So who wants to bet how much THIS "Doomed Corner" store will last? I think Orange Market might hold the record for the shortest run (what was that, two months?). How many other businesses have been in that spot? I remember a generic restaurant/bar lounge thing, then Tilted Kilt, then Orange Market. It's been empty for a while.

I still miss Choklat, but that place was oddly inconveniently-located for something that's two blocks from where I live.

Well, Orange Market was doomed before it was even opened. They had problems with the renovations that cost money and delayed the opening by... a year? Then it all it turned out to be was a convenience store with many of the same items you'd find in a 7-11, along with some slightly higher-end stuff thrown in. I felt bad for the owners, but it wasn't really something the area needed.

Top_Dawg always got a kick out of their hours.

At first it was 24 hours.

Then 9 to midnight.

Then you didn't know if they were open or closed at any time.

Then 10 til 7.

And finally tits up for good.

It was like a hobby business.

I can't imagine too many people were looking for chicken piri piri or freshly squeezed orange juice at 4 AM.

National Access Cannabis has a pretty nice website, so at least they have that going for them:
    http://nationalaccesscannabis.com

Maybe they can refer to that location as "Green Market"
    Last edited by Gord Lacey; 23-10-2017 at 02:13 PM.

Orange Market probably assumed there'd be this HUGE market for the bar crowd to come in and buy stuff. Unfortunately, the donair places on Whyte already take up that role (and there's like six of them). Hell, even Dairy Queen gave up on servicing the "bar crowd", and started keeping regular hours.

A quick drive-through:

• Old Town Pub still has a temporary banner for a sign.
    • Looks like Naanolicious has been replaced by Y Not Indian. The former's Facebook page said they were moving at the end of September but nothing since then.
    • The Great Indian Factory on Sask Drive (former New Asian Village) appears to have shutdown. Always loved the skyline view, but the spinoff was an utter failure.
    • The reskinning of the building that housed Original Joes's on 109 St looks completed or nearly.

The Great Indian Factory on Sask Drive (former New Asian Village) appears to have shutdown. Always loved the skyline view, but the spinoff was an utter failure.
    I stopped eating at New Asian Village after looking at the online restaurant report by Capital Health that showed they were shut down for mouse feces and carcasses in the kitchen. I've only eaten at a New Asian Village-linked restaurant once since then (for a birthday celebration).

^I feel the same way about Haweli downtown. Had the absolute worst food poisoning of my life after eating buffet there a few years back; I lost almost 30 pounds and looked like a skeleton when that ordeal was over. Between that nightmare and the various atrocities committed by New Asian Village, I've honestly become wary of eating Indian food anywhere, which is really too bad, as I'm sure I'm missing out on some decent places.

30 pounds ?

Sounds to Top_Dawg like more than food poisoning.

Conjures up images of butter chicken shooting out of the ol' o-ring.

As far as Indian, have you tried Sagar in the strip mall on the St. Albert Trail traffic circle ?

Top_Dawg has been there a few times now.

It's pretty plain jane as far as the decor.

But the food has always been pretty good.

Buffet Friday and Saturday nights.

But go between 6 and 7:30.

It gets pretty busy and when they run out of food they turn people away.

The Great Indian Factory on Sask Drive (former New Asian Village) appears to have shutdown. Always loved the skyline view, but the spinoff was an utter failure.
    I stopped eating at New Asian Village after looking at the online restaurant report by Capital Health that showed they were shut down for mouse feces and carcasses in the kitchen. I've only eaten at a New Asian Village-linked restaurant once since then (for a birthday celebration).
    heh, I pay attention to those violations as well but many people in the Restaurant industry have told me that establishments will typically have problems in long run restaurants. In anycase I heed them. The Asian Village never really impressed me that much and I've learned basic East Indian food prep so can make a lot of the same things. The thing that always gets me is why establishments like that justified Indian Food being expensive. It really isn't expensive to make, its on par with Chinese food or even less.

its why I eat out in high priced establishments less and less. Can just make it at home and have the portions I want, no Ghee, no MSG, no cross contamination, no food poisoning etc.
    Last edited by Replacement; 24-10-2017 at 09:15 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JamesL View Post
    ^I feel the same way about Haweli downtown. Had the absolute worst food poisoning of my life after eating buffet there a few years back; I lost almost 30 pounds and looked like a skeleton when that ordeal was over. Between that nightmare and the various atrocities committed by New Asian Village, I've honestly become wary of eating Indian food anywhere, which is really too bad, as I'm sure I'm missing out on some decent places.

I've never heard anything bad about Guru, if you get a craving.

I had the salmonella food poisoning diet once and it was a confirmed case. 25lb weight loss in 10 days. Its hard to describe, its like your whole body is a dam bursting and discharging stuff. Lets see, a toilet, a bucket, and a pillow because you're not going anywhere for a long while.. Did a brief stint in hospital (only 4-5hrs) just getting an IV and some fluid and saline restored. It took about a week to even feel strong again.
    People greatly underestimate how sick you can get from improperly prepared or preserved food. You have this happen to you once and it changes your whole outlook on eating out.

It of course even impacts where you decide to travel.
    Last edited by Replacement; 24-10-2017 at 09:13 AM.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

I've never heard anything bad about Guru, if you get a craving.
    Agree with you on Guru. Also have heard good things about Sagar. Have ventured to Whity Ave a few times now. but end up at Situation more often than not.

Incidentally, Top_Dawg will mention that if anyone is looking for good Indian food around Whyte Ave there is Narayannis.

Also Dawaat.

But Top_Dawg finds Dawaat pretty expensive for what you get and not so good.

Langano Skies is also excellent food.

It's Ethiopian.

So kind of the same.

Only different.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

30 pounds ?

Sounds to Top_Dawg like more than food poisoning.

Conjures up images of butter chicken shooting out of the ol' o-ring.
    It was multiple infections – I can't remember what, exactly, but I think the lady from AHS might've said E. Coli and salmonella. Definitely can't imagine eating there ever again, especially not after hearing about that teenager who ate from their booth at folk fest this past summer and ended up needing an emergency appendectomy because of it. Sometimes you can't forgive.

C2E Continued Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    I had the salmonella food poisoning diet once and it was a confirmed case. 25lb weight loss in 10 days. Its hard to describe, its like your whole body is a dam bursting and discharging stuff. Lets see, a toilet, a bucket, and a pillow because you're not going anywhere for a long while.. Did a brief stint in hospital (only 4-5hrs) just getting an IV and some fluid and saline restored. It took about a week to even feel strong again.
    People greatly underestimate how sick you can get from improperly prepared or preserved food. You have this happen to you once and it changes your whole outlook on eating out.

It of course even impacts where you decide to travel.
    Something like that happened to me while I was backpacking in the middle east. Got to the Red Sea, gambled on the chicken, next thing you know I was prepping havana omelettes for the next 5 days. It really does give you that healthy respect you talk about.
    There was no need to change that plaque. We are the City of Champions.

If we're done with the food inspection derail now, just want to ask if anyone knows when Goodwill is going to open in the Sun Toyota space?

It'll be awhile, I think. They're still doing a lot of interior work there.

It seems the Dairy Queen on Whyte and 106 has gone dark. Is this recent?

Sorry, I mean 104 St.
    Last edited by x183; 31-10-2017 at 06:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by x183 View Post

Do you mean 104?

Quote Originally Posted by canuckyeg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by x183 View Post

Do you mean 104?
    yes. Sorry!

Was on Whyte Ave this afternoon. Some updates (apologies if I repost any old news):

• Goodwill is getting closer to opening, but I just noticed they are only taking up the eastern half the Toyota space, west half of the former show room still appears to be up for grabs.
    • That beautiful old CIBC building next to the Black Dog pub has a Pending Sale sign on it.
    • The former Kit & Ace is currently being renovated
    • Subway and Maggie Walt spaces west of the Pourhouse emptied out.
    • Dairy Queen closed and almost emptied out. I hope something better opens on such a prominent corner.
    • Leased signs are up on Orange Market building. Same as with DQ, I pray that such a prominent corner isn't wasted on something lame.
    • Leased signs are up on space next to Malt & Mortar.
    • Aluminum foil is covering the 2nd floor windows above Blackbyrd Music and Gravity Pope - why FFS?
    • Y Not Indian restaurant is now open in the Naanolicious space - same guys who are in the Scotia Place food court. Very bland looking menu though.
    • Doesn't look like anything is happening with the Filthy McNasty building.
    Last edited by Sonic Death Monkey; 12-11-2017 at 04:36 PM.

The DQ has a sign saying they're moving to the CIBC building, but it's a really sketchy little sign, lying on the floor. They've gutted the inside of the old place.

I thought I saw a sign that said peri peri on the orange market space. Maybe a Nando's? I could be mistaken.

No, the Orange Market sold takeout peri peri chicken.

Well that explains that.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the Orange Market space is going to be a pot dispensary.

Bring back Cafrey's!
    www.decl.org

Caffrey's is still just off Whyte Ave... http://www.caffreys.ca/. Ok Wye Road, and in a different hamlet. But Wye Road=sherwood park fwy=whyte ave right?

Actually, on his forays over to O2's, Top_Dawg noticed a new super cornholio joint recently opened up on the south west corner of 83 Avenue and 104 Street.

From outside it strikes Top_Dawg as ideally suited for the IanO types.

Top_Dawg didn't see any TV monitors, so obviously no sports being shown.

However Top_Dawg couldn't help but notice the big titted blonde behind the bar.

That in itself might be worth a quick stop.

That's "Pip," a brunch (but also lunch/dinner) place from the Meat/The Next Act people.

Strongly suggest you don't go, TD. No Molson on their menu: https://www.pipyeg.com/menu/

I'll have to check it out. I enjoy a place that doesn't smell like a urinal or diesel.

Thanks for the link JamesL.

Top_Dawg quickly looked for their website and didn't find it.

Yeah, lot of places on Whyte don't carry Molson products which sucks donkey dong.

Top_Dawg can occasionally stomach one Alley Kat Main Squeeze and they do have that.

Or maybe poke back a quick Sassy & Classy in keeping with his personality.

Top_Dawg may pop in for a quick look see on Thursday before the mighty Leafs game and report back on what he scopes out.

Cheers !

That's "Pip," a brunch (but also lunch/dinner) place from the Meat/The Next Act people.
    Indeed it is and walked by last week, looks like another great addition to that block!
    www.decl.org

Oh dayum it's open now. Thanks for the notice. Haven't been down to Whyte for a while off the strip.

It was extremely busy yesterday around 2pm. You may have to wait for a table, depending on your timing.

From CMD UW @ SSP aka ChrisD @ C2E

* CIBC - This site was sold as part of a 'bulk sale' to a buyer based out of Toronto. No idea what their plans are.

*Former Kit & Ace is getting much more than a renovation. We think it will be something really cool. Cacao 70 will occupy the existing building.
    https://omada-cre.com/listings/tipto...ment-building/
    An earlier post mentioned DQ moving to CIBC.
    Cacao 70 is a brunch and chocolate chain which is also opening in the COE tower.

DQ in the old CIBC? That seems like a mighty renovation.

Job No 267145291-001
    Description: To install (1) Fascia On-premises Sign (Han Dynasty Hotpot and BBQ).
    Plan I Blk 66 Lots 8-10
    Applicant: GENERAL SIGNS & SERVICE LTD.
    Create Date: 11/15/2017 8:48:12 AM

That's the address of Nudoru, in case anyone else is interested.

Hm, the sign in DQ (which is still just a thing on the floor) says they're moving to 10441, which is past the CIBC building- it looks like it'd have to be under the Buckingham, though I imagine that'd be one tiny Dairy Queen if they took over the vaping shop or the pizza place.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718