Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920
Results 1,901 to 1,941 of 1941

Thread: Whyte Ave/Old Strathcona Retail Discussion

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Saw some testing going on today at the old gas station 99th and whyte... hoping we see some action on this blight lot.

I'd rather C2E than work!

I think you mean 100th and Whyte, right?

I wonder if they're still planning that medical building for that location, or if they've given up on it.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Yes 100 and Whyte. The sign for the medical building is still up. Not sure what the holdup is.

Maybe they're having a hard time leasing it? It's not a very exciting building for Whyte - pretty modern-looking. I know the city was having difficulties with the owners of the land, and were even taking them to court (not sure what came of that, or whether they actually made it into a court room).
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

I thought the design was horrible for Whyte. Black glass if I recall?!? But I do know that it's going ahead.
    www.decl.org

I just did a search and came across this listing:
    https://skyrisecities.com/database/p...medical-centre

That's the building that was supposed to go up there. It's very "meh"

C2E Long Term Contributor

Marcel Petrin wrote:
    Sobey's in College Plaza will be closing as well and they're re-directing people to the Safeway on 109th.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Riddle me this, what MAJOR Whyte ave monument has been sold and will change hands this fall?

The Strathcona Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Marcel Petrin wrote:
    Sobey's in College Plaza will be closing as well and they're re-directing people to the Safeway on 109th.
    Yeah, I was hearing about this. Kind of odd that a grocery store immediately next to thousands of people living in one small set of buildings would need to close, but I imagine the rent was probably extraordinary, and the store was small enough that even that small Safeway had way better selection.

And really, those two shops are only 2 blocks from each other. It's pretty silly, especially since they're owned by the same company now.

Some new food trucks are in the area, which is nice. The donut one is terrific, in particular.

The "for rent" sign is still on Filthy McNasty's- from what I hear (a person or two who worked there), the owner ain't coming back. It was a total dive, but had an interesting look. Not sure how many people are going to want to rent out an "upstairs only" establishment like that, especially with so many bigger bars right nearby.

The "Chatime" tea/coffee shop has been closed for a while for maintenance, right around when someone smashed one of their doors up.

It looks like Edmonton’s getting another restaurant offering flavours from the East Coast – Blowers & Grafton will be opening up on Whyte.
    https://www.onlyhereforthefood.ca/20...-june-11-2018/
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Marcel Petrin wrote:
    My mother went to the Sobey's this morning after doing some lab tests.

Their last day at College Plaza is tomorrow! The store is half bare. Already no meat and bakery department.

C2E SME

Hopefully something will fill the space soon after.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing76 View Post
    Saw some testing going on today at the old gas station 99th and whyte... hoping we see some action on this blight lot.
    It is going through a redesign. From 4 to 3 stories, first floor retail and two stories of residential.
    www.decl.org

So, no longer a medical building then. Sounds good on paper... I'd love to see the new renderings. Not sure why they would reduce it to 3 storeys though.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    It is going through a redesign. From 4 to 3 stories, first floor retail and two stories of residential.
    Much better uses for that location IMO.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    Fantastic news.

Cacao 70 is opening soon in the former Kit & Ace

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    Marcel Petrin wrote:

Their last day at College Plaza is tomorrow! The store is half bare. Already no meat and bakery department.
    I feel like this means we won't see the re-development of the Safeways lot for a very long time.. sobey's space would have been a fine temporary replacement while a new development was under construction.
    you missed when time and life shook hands and said goodbye.

Quote Originally Posted by bicycles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    Marcel Petrin wrote:

I feel like this means we won't see the re-development of the Safeways lot for a very long time.. sobey's space would have been a fine temporary replacement while a new development was under construction.
    I agree and they likely discussed the option and then realized why bother - there is nothing else around other than a Saveon and that is quite a distance. Might as well milk profits out of this store without improving the shopping experience.

There are a TON of students that shop at the No Frills on 80th ave (it's also a lot cheaper, though smaller than Save-On).

Yeah, Top_Dawg has been saying for a while that the increase in vagrancy along Whyte is unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabroniville View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    My counterpart in Old Strathcona has mentioned that it seems worse than ever in that regard.
    It's revved up in part because the Arena District has undergone a major change, and there are cops there whose entire JOB is to shuffle hobos on out of the way. Many of them have ended up in Strathcona, where there's no shelter or anything (just the new Neighbor Centre). But it's a minefield out there- I don't even go to Macs at night anymore, because you're GUARANTEED to encounter a pack of them, and at least one of them will have a smart mouth.
    Why are city police removing people from a private development? Shouldn't private security be handling that with EPS as a backup if needed?+

They're removing them from the AREA, not just the arena itself. Ie. Harass and bug hobos so they don't loiter anyone NEAR that area.

It's a public relations kind of thing- business owners don't want vagrants wandering around harassing passerby, and it'd be a black eye for the city to have their shiny new tax-sink fail to change the reputation of downtown. The problem is, those people just shuffle on down to Whyte.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    Where people are actually advocating that they city subsidize grocery stores downtown because Save-On is too far to walk.
    Literally one dude on C2E who spouted this nonsense is not exactly a great sample size, nor is it representative of anything other than his own addled mind.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Blowers & Grafton open and busy.
    Mist Bar & Lounge hiring new staff.
    Dominion Hotel boarded up.

Blowers & Grafton looks like it went up practically overnight, but that's only because they had that whole guitar shop boarded up for a couple of months, looking totally hideous on the Ave . I kept wanting to try it out, but it's PACKED, and seems like more of a "sit down with friends" area than a place you try by yourself.

Mist is replacing the donair shop, which of course replaced... that music store that music snobs liked. My brother dug it. I find it funny that donair shop gave up the ghost as soon as King Donair opened- they must have been spending a fortune on rent, and seeing a hot new place open up literally across the street had to kill their desire to do business there.

First One is Always Free

Dominion Hotel was purchased by Beljan development and is doing a large refurbishment. They do amazing work and the plans for this building will include both front and back alley retail.

First One is Always Free

Blowers & Grafton looks like it went up practically overnight, but that's only because they had that whole guitar shop boarded up for a couple of months, looking totally hideous on the Ave . I kept wanting to try it out, but it's PACKED, and seems like more of a "sit down with friends" area than a place you try by yourself.

Mist is replacing the donair shop, which of course replaced... that music store that music snobs liked. My brother dug it. I find it funny that donair shop gave up the ghost as soon as King Donair opened- they must have been spending a fortune on rent, and seeing a hot new place open up literally across the street had to kill their desire to do business there.
    Blowers and Grafton spent several months renovating both inside and a facade Reno.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherklass View Post
    Dominion Hotel was purchased by Beljan development and is doing a large refurbishment. They do amazing work and the plans for this building will include both front and back alley retail.
    Beljan had some photos on their Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bk-WCQfD...an_development
    www.decl.org

Apparently Edmonton's first commercial brothel was on the 3rd floor.
    www.decl.org

I'd be quite happy if Beljan bought up a ton more buildings in Old Strathcona and converted/built on them. They do incredible work.

The bar has been set.
    www.decl.org

Yeah, what a letdown.

When the signage originally went up Top_Dawg thought it was going to be a jack shack.

Job No 287204120-001
    Description: To install a Fascia On-premises Sign (Iruka Japanese Cuisine & Bar).
    Plan I Blk 68 Lot 11
    Applicant: GENERAL SIGNS & SERVICE LTD.
    Create Date: 7/10/2018 5:28:59 PM

First One is Always Free

Agreed! They've got more planned!

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    I'd be quite happy if Beljan bought up a ton more buildings in Old Strathcona and converted/built on them. They do incredible work.

First One is Always Free

Question

Really? A letdown? I think it's a great improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

Yeah, what a letdown.

When the signage originally went up Top_Dawg thought it was going to be a jack shack.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

This is probably deserving of its own thread, but, eff it, I'll just put it here -- big changes may be ahead for The Strat:

Beljan’s plans for the site aren’t finalized. Because the building has historic designation from two levels of government, he has to get two levels of approval for any renovations that might change its heritage character.

His proposal is to renovate the 48 hotel rooms into 34 separate apartments. Or perhaps 34 boutique hotel rooms — he’s not yet decided. On the main floor, he’s planning several small retail and restaurant bays. And, with the blessing of the city and the province, he wants to bring light into the murky interior by adding a rear solarium where the parking spots and beer cooler are now. It’s part of his continuing mission to transform the back lanes of Old Strathcona into pleasant pedestrian arcades. [...]

If he gets the necessary approvals, Beljan plans to close the hotel this fall and start construction work in January, with the hopes of opening the new space in late 2019.
    https://edmontonjournal.com/business...box=1531528698
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Mist Bar & Lounge (former Kebab Express) doesn't look close to opening despite the hiring spree. Might open in the fall.

Doesn't quite belong here, but here's a shot with the Strathcona Hotel pre-1900. Found on a reddit thread I read a few weeks back and when I heard Beljan bought the site, it reminded me of this photo:

https://i.redd.it/z4cum0na0o611.jpg

Some guy found a historical book and scanned some photos.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Edmonton/co..._is_top_right/

Quote Originally Posted by Cherklass View Post

Blowers and Grafton spent several months renovating both inside and a facade Reno.
    Yeah, I could tell- it just looked like an "overnight" job because it was all hidden behind that very large wooden covering .

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 101617181920