Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718
Results 1,701 to 1,710 of 1710

Thread: Whyte Ave/Old Strathcona Retail Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    Haven't tried Situation's brews yet, but otherwise agreed, there isn't a really good Edmonton craft brewer (I think Yellowhead is alright, but that's basically all they make). Which is odd when you've got ones like Troubled Monk (Red Deer), Bench Creek (Edson), Ribstone Creek (Edgerton), Blindman (Lacombe), Wood Buffalo (Fort Mac) and so on. I tried a few bottles of Bent Stick last year, and they were awful. They should never have passed quality control. Alley Kat has always been very mediocre, as well.

Two Sergeants is in Fort Saskatchewan, and that's probably the only good one in the capital region, depending on how Situation stacks up.
    Grizzly Paw out of Canmore is my current go-to Alberta craft beer. Pick up a case of the mix pack, it's all rather good. I often find myself straddling the border and pick up Fernie Brewing. Very happy with their beer.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Chmilz View Post

Grizzly Paw out of Canmore is my current go-to Alberta craft beer. Pick up a case of the mix pack, it's all rather good. I often find myself straddling the border and pick up Fernie Brewing. Very happy with their beer.
    If you get a chance while in Canmore again give Canmore Brewing Company a try. I too, like the beer and selection at Grizzly Paw but gave the new group a try. Liked it. A lot. Particularly the 'Ten Peaks'. Can be found in some of the local establishments as well.
    He who posteth too much, should moveth out of his parents basement and get a life.

I'd rather C2E than work!

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    They will get more foot traffic there than on East Whyte, which sadly is still a no-go for most pedestrians.
    If you're talking 101 Street to 99th, yeah, not as much foot traffic, but man that area south of Whyte that used to be all light industrial is seeing major condo construction.

My guess is, down the road East Whyte will getting more and more local traffic (nifty new coffee shops, etc already there), while "tourists" mostly stay west of the tracks.
    ... gobsmacked

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I like popping in to GP when I'm in Canmore as their food is decent too, but find that their beers don't come across great from the bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    I like popping in to GP when I'm in Canmore as their food is decent too, but find that their beers don't come across great from the bottle.
    Not great, but better than almost anything else brewed in this province.
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

I'd rather C2E than work!

Maybe we could have the craft beer talk split from the Whyte Ave retail discussion?

I noticed that they FINALLY cleaned up the big dirt pile on Whyte and 100 st. I wonder whether they'll ever get around to putting up that medical building they were planning...
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Sorry Gord, the Situation Brewing talk got off topic

I was down at Have Mercy recently and I'm really into the alley work in the area. I hope eventually all the alleys become activated. Great way to add life to the area while making it more walkable as a whole.

The parking lot between 102 st and gateway doesn't help the mental divide on Whyte. If the streetcar was allowed to put their terminus next to the Washroom (sand on whyte space), that would help slightly.

On the south edge of Whyte, establishments like snowy dessert, dorinku, da capo, under the high wheel has helped draw people "east of the tracks"

I'm hoping the Toyota lot can become a multi-use building with 4 storeys of resi on top and retail street level.

C2E Bandwidth Hog

^ Goodwill is moving into the SUN Toyota dealership building.
    Their used car lot east of Gateway is ripe for redevelopment, if that's what you meant.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

I wouldn't call Goodwill a major win but at the moment anything that draws foot traffic helps. They're only open until 5pm though... that's a sore point on that strip.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718