Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021 LastLast
Results 1,901 to 2,000 of 2051

Thread: Whyte Ave/Old Strathcona Retail Discussion

Becoming a C2E Power Poster

Saw some testing going on today at the old gas station 99th and whyte... hoping we see some action on this blight lot.

I'd rather C2E than work!

I think you mean 100th and Whyte, right?

I wonder if they're still planning that medical building for that location, or if they've given up on it.
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Yes 100 and Whyte. The sign for the medical building is still up. Not sure what the holdup is.

Maybe they're having a hard time leasing it? It's not a very exciting building for Whyte - pretty modern-looking. I know the city was having difficulties with the owners of the land, and were even taking them to court (not sure what came of that, or whether they actually made it into a court room).
    They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

I thought the design was horrible for Whyte. Black glass if I recall?!? But I do know that it's going ahead.
    www.decl.org

I just did a search and came across this listing:
    https://skyrisecities.com/database/p...medical-centre

That's the building that was supposed to go up there. It's very "meh"

C2E Long Term Contributor

Marcel Petrin wrote:
    Sobey's in College Plaza will be closing as well and they're re-directing people to the Safeway on 109th.
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Riddle me this, what MAJOR Whyte ave monument has been sold and will change hands this fall?

The Strathcona Hotel

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    Marcel Petrin wrote:
    Sobey's in College Plaza will be closing as well and they're re-directing people to the Safeway on 109th.
    Yeah, I was hearing about this. Kind of odd that a grocery store immediately next to thousands of people living in one small set of buildings would need to close, but I imagine the rent was probably extraordinary, and the store was small enough that even that small Safeway had way better selection.

And really, those two shops are only 2 blocks from each other. It's pretty silly, especially since they're owned by the same company now.

Some new food trucks are in the area, which is nice. The donut one is terrific, in particular.

The "for rent" sign is still on Filthy McNasty's- from what I hear (a person or two who worked there), the owner ain't coming back. It was a total dive, but had an interesting look. Not sure how many people are going to want to rent out an "upstairs only" establishment like that, especially with so many bigger bars right nearby.

The "Chatime" tea/coffee shop has been closed for a while for maintenance, right around when someone smashed one of their doors up.

It looks like Edmonton’s getting another restaurant offering flavours from the East Coast – Blowers & Grafton will be opening up on Whyte.
    https://www.onlyhereforthefood.ca/20...-june-11-2018/
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Marcel Petrin wrote:
    My mother went to the Sobey's this morning after doing some lab tests.

Their last day at College Plaza is tomorrow! The store is half bare. Already no meat and bakery department.

C2E SME

Hopefully something will fill the space soon after.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing76 View Post
    Saw some testing going on today at the old gas station 99th and whyte... hoping we see some action on this blight lot.
    It is going through a redesign. From 4 to 3 stories, first floor retail and two stories of residential.
    www.decl.org

So, no longer a medical building then. Sounds good on paper... I'd love to see the new renderings. Not sure why they would reduce it to 3 storeys though.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    It is going through a redesign. From 4 to 3 stories, first floor retail and two stories of residential.
    Much better uses for that location IMO.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Quote Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
    Fantastic news.

Cacao 70 is opening soon in the former Kit & Ace

Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    Marcel Petrin wrote:

Their last day at College Plaza is tomorrow! The store is half bare. Already no meat and bakery department.
    I feel like this means we won't see the re-development of the Safeways lot for a very long time.. sobey's space would have been a fine temporary replacement while a new development was under construction.
    you missed when time and life shook hands and said goodbye.

Quote Originally Posted by bicycles View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by North Guy66 View Post
    Marcel Petrin wrote:

I feel like this means we won't see the re-development of the Safeways lot for a very long time.. sobey's space would have been a fine temporary replacement while a new development was under construction.
    I agree and they likely discussed the option and then realized why bother - there is nothing else around other than a Saveon and that is quite a distance. Might as well milk profits out of this store without improving the shopping experience.

There are a TON of students that shop at the No Frills on 80th ave (it's also a lot cheaper, though smaller than Save-On).

Yeah, Top_Dawg has been saying for a while that the increase in vagrancy along Whyte is unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabroniville View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IanO View Post
    My counterpart in Old Strathcona has mentioned that it seems worse than ever in that regard.
    It's revved up in part because the Arena District has undergone a major change, and there are cops there whose entire JOB is to shuffle hobos on out of the way. Many of them have ended up in Strathcona, where there's no shelter or anything (just the new Neighbor Centre). But it's a minefield out there- I don't even go to Macs at night anymore, because you're GUARANTEED to encounter a pack of them, and at least one of them will have a smart mouth.
    Why are city police removing people from a private development? Shouldn't private security be handling that with EPS as a backup if needed?+

They're removing them from the AREA, not just the arena itself. Ie. Harass and bug hobos so they don't loiter anyone NEAR that area.

It's a public relations kind of thing- business owners don't want vagrants wandering around harassing passerby, and it'd be a black eye for the city to have their shiny new tax-sink fail to change the reputation of downtown. The problem is, those people just shuffle on down to Whyte.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by kkozoriz View Post
    Where people are actually advocating that they city subsidize grocery stores downtown because Save-On is too far to walk.
    Literally one dude on C2E who spouted this nonsense is not exactly a great sample size, nor is it representative of anything other than his own addled mind.
    “Son, one day this will be an iconic structure shaping Edmonton’s skyline.”

Blowers & Grafton open and busy.
    Mist Bar & Lounge hiring new staff.
    Dominion Hotel boarded up.

Blowers & Grafton looks like it went up practically overnight, but that's only because they had that whole guitar shop boarded up for a couple of months, looking totally hideous on the Ave . I kept wanting to try it out, but it's PACKED, and seems like more of a "sit down with friends" area than a place you try by yourself.

Mist is replacing the donair shop, which of course replaced... that music store that music snobs liked. My brother dug it. I find it funny that donair shop gave up the ghost as soon as King Donair opened- they must have been spending a fortune on rent, and seeing a hot new place open up literally across the street had to kill their desire to do business there.

First One is Always Free

Dominion Hotel was purchased by Beljan development and is doing a large refurbishment. They do amazing work and the plans for this building will include both front and back alley retail.

First One is Always Free

Blowers & Grafton looks like it went up practically overnight, but that's only because they had that whole guitar shop boarded up for a couple of months, looking totally hideous on the Ave . I kept wanting to try it out, but it's PACKED, and seems like more of a "sit down with friends" area than a place you try by yourself.

Mist is replacing the donair shop, which of course replaced... that music store that music snobs liked. My brother dug it. I find it funny that donair shop gave up the ghost as soon as King Donair opened- they must have been spending a fortune on rent, and seeing a hot new place open up literally across the street had to kill their desire to do business there.
    Blowers and Grafton spent several months renovating both inside and a facade Reno.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherklass View Post
    Dominion Hotel was purchased by Beljan development and is doing a large refurbishment. They do amazing work and the plans for this building will include both front and back alley retail.
    Beljan had some photos on their Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bk-WCQfD...an_development
    www.decl.org

Apparently Edmonton's first commercial brothel was on the 3rd floor.
    www.decl.org

I'd be quite happy if Beljan bought up a ton more buildings in Old Strathcona and converted/built on them. They do incredible work.

The bar has been set.
    www.decl.org

Yeah, what a letdown.

When the signage originally went up Top_Dawg thought it was going to be a jack shack.

Job No 287204120-001
    Description: To install a Fascia On-premises Sign (Iruka Japanese Cuisine & Bar).
    Plan I Blk 68 Lot 11
    Applicant: GENERAL SIGNS & SERVICE LTD.
    Create Date: 7/10/2018 5:28:59 PM

First One is Always Free

Agreed! They've got more planned!

Quote Originally Posted by Gord Lacey View Post
    I'd be quite happy if Beljan bought up a ton more buildings in Old Strathcona and converted/built on them. They do incredible work.

First One is Always Free

Question

Really? A letdown? I think it's a great improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

Yeah, what a letdown.

When the signage originally went up Top_Dawg thought it was going to be a jack shack.

This is probably deserving of its own thread, but, eff it, I'll just put it here -- big changes may be ahead for The Strat:

Beljan’s plans for the site aren’t finalized. Because the building has historic designation from two levels of government, he has to get two levels of approval for any renovations that might change its heritage character.

His proposal is to renovate the 48 hotel rooms into 34 separate apartments. Or perhaps 34 boutique hotel rooms — he’s not yet decided. On the main floor, he’s planning several small retail and restaurant bays. And, with the blessing of the city and the province, he wants to bring light into the murky interior by adding a rear solarium where the parking spots and beer cooler are now. It’s part of his continuing mission to transform the back lanes of Old Strathcona into pleasant pedestrian arcades. [...]

If he gets the necessary approvals, Beljan plans to close the hotel this fall and start construction work in January, with the hopes of opening the new space in late 2019.
    https://edmontonjournal.com/business...box=1531528698

Mist Bar & Lounge (former Kebab Express) doesn't look close to opening despite the hiring spree. Might open in the fall.

Doesn't quite belong here, but here's a shot with the Strathcona Hotel pre-1900. Found on a reddit thread I read a few weeks back and when I heard Beljan bought the site, it reminded me of this photo:

https://i.redd.it/z4cum0na0o611.jpg

Some guy found a historical book and scanned some photos.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Edmonton/co..._is_top_right/

Blowers and Grafton spent several months renovating both inside and a facade Reno.
    Yeah, I could tell- it just looked like an "overnight" job because it was all hidden behind that very large wooden covering .

A bit out of Old Stathcona for both:
    - the gas station/garage on the SW corner of 99 St and 87 Ave is being demolished
    - Transcend at the Garneau Theatre appears to be undergoing a renovation

They're actually going to demolish that gas station? I thought they were keeping the station and demolishing the garage (which has been gone for months). I wonder what they're going to build there instead?

Blowers & Grafton is ALWAYS busy, from what I see. A really lively place with some live music. With Blackbar also being somewhat-new, along with Malt & Mortar, Whyte is getting a lot of these types of places. A bit healthier for the neighborhood than the usual Whyte drinking establishments- walking around Beercade at night can be a real nuisance- the massed crowd around the front is way to "let's just linger in everyone's way", and if it's after the bars close, there's a really rambunctious crowd of... ugh... YOUTHS. One of them ran straight into me because he was running BACKWARDS thanks to his buddy pretending to fight him, jumping up and down. YOUTHS, I tell you.

C2E Posting Power

Blowers & Grafton is ALWAYS busy, from what I see. A really lively place with some live music. With Blackbar also being somewhat-new, along with Malt & Mortar, Whyte is getting a lot of these types of places. A bit healthier for the neighborhood than the usual Whyte drinking establishments- walking around Beercade at night can be a real nuisance- the massed crowd around the front is way to "let's just linger in everyone's way", and if it's after the bars close, there's a really rambunctious crowd of... ugh... YOUTHS. One of them ran straight into me because he was running BACKWARDS thanks to his buddy pretending to fight him, jumping up and down. YOUTHS, I tell you.
    I spoke to the GM of their Calgary location - apparently the owner made some good money while working in the oilpatch - he missed his home town fav's like Donairs and breadsticks (what we call cheese pizza cut into squares.) Edmonton is his 2nd location - apparently 3X bigger than Calgary's - menu looks really limited, are there enough Haligonians to make this place stick?

I don't know whether this signage on the former Sobey's site at College Plaza is new or not. I did not see any "for lease" signs. What's posted would seem to imply someone has signed up and that some kind of restaurant is involved? Or maybe it's just wishful thinking on Westcorp's part.

About 10 blocks east of 99 St, on the same Whyte Ave:
    Brew Ville switched to new ownership earlier this year. Nothing much has changed though, they still carry over 700 brands of pod coffee and tea. Arlene is bloody marvelous!
    http://www.brewville.ca/

So, I drove past the old, old, gas station on 99 st and 90 Ave (the one that's been a vacant lot for 10+ years, where "The Cone" girls were set up) and there were a bunch of people doing testing today. Probably 3-4 trucks there, with people out using tools. I wish I had stopped to watch them some more, but I had somewhere to be. Maybe something is finally going to happen with that lot.

That lot now has a sign up advertising that it's for sale (cushman wakefield) but I haven't seen a listing online yet for it

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

^i haven’t checked it out but it looks great driving by. Good addition to the Ave I think. Looking forward to trying it out ASAP.

Anyone know what's going in the old DQ space on Whyte and 104? They've been doing some work in there recently, but I can't find out what it'll be. Also, Cacao 70 is coming along (a perk of being tall - I can see over the paper covering the windows). I got a little tour of the space above the John Fluevog store, and it's just begging for a cool restaurant to open up there. They would even be able to have a rooftop patio. Really cool space... just needs to be filled!

Confirmed.
    Not a word about a new Oliver Square location as of yet.

So sad about the Keg Strath - going to miss it. We went to Vons on Friday night - had a great meal as we did on previous visits. It was very busy. I am grateful Vons has some ambience - sure hope it stays and is not demolished. I am not a fan of modem design steakhouses.

^^

Old news.

Their last day was Father's Day.

Whyte is a terrible place for business. Indy shops are cool when they open and all the uni students go, and then they're not cool anymore, business drops, they shutdown. Same with many restaurants although some survive longer. They're great at first, but like any fad, they fade away. Not only that, but the changing population isn't steady enough. Students go away during holidays and summer. Harsh winters, nobody wants to walk down the street...

Places like Hudson's are the few that are continually successful. It's the cool place that tries to hard to be the cool place, but just can't sustain it. Forget about over the decades, I can't even keep track of businesses changing out from year to year. It's always been a joke between my wife and I when we see a new store open up that we say "That won't be here next year...". They need more large anchor stores and restaurants that are further west from 99th street where people will go, because the busiest is between 99th and 104th aves. Most things west of 104 die off the quickest.

Is it they type of food or vibe of restaruant that you're looking for? I think more options and CRU's - of varying sizes - and a continuation of the streetwall fabric is key alonside continued development of new residential units for especially families is key.

Food/Drink that I go to, have been to and that have been around for I think quite a while (4-6+ years): Julios, The Pint, El Cortez, Block 1912, MKT, Funky Buddah, Tacos on Whyte, Have Mercy, O2's, Under the High Wheel, Furusato Japanese, Tasty Toms, Empress Alehouse, Langano Skies, MEAT and Next Act, Fomoso, Black Dog, Buckingham (great vegetarian and vegan food), Yiannis, V's Vietnamese, former Keg, Cianti's, Billiard Club, Continental Treat, Beercade, O'Byrnes, The King & I, Tokyo Noodle Shop, Rooster Café, Gama Café, Boston Pizza, Café Moziacs, Friends & Neighbours...

This doesn't imclude ones that have been open for only about 2-3 years... then there is a large list I have of retailers. I don't LOVE Whyte and it's definitely not the centre of the universe but it's doing well as of late. Some good businesses or "versions" have been doing a good job. Lots of action off Whyte around 12 St and 81 ave too. Ritchie Village or something they called it.
    Live and love... your neighbourhood.

It depends on what you're into. I know my folks (55+) are hard to please and like to go-to regular places like the Keg while I avoid it and go to Next Act, but they love El Cortez and Have Mercy.

Quote Originally Posted by GenWhy? View Post
    It depends on what you're into. I know my folks (55+) are hard to please and like to go-to regular places like the Keg while I avoid it and go to Next Act, but they love El Cortez and Have Mercy.
    Maybe because El Cortez and Have Mercy have a great vive and are chock full of atmosphere and your parents know how to have a good time.
    Last edited by EdmTrekker; 14-08-2018 at 03:10 PM.

Is it they type of food or vibe of restaruant that you're looking for? I think more options and CRU's - of varying sizes - and a continuation of the streetwall fabric is key alonside continued development of new residential units for especially families is key.

Food/Drink that I go to, have been to and that have been around for I think quite a while (4-6+ years): Julios, The Pint, El Cortez, Block 1912, MKT, Funky Buddah, Tacos on Whyte, Have Mercy, O2's, Under the High Wheel, Furusato Japanese, Tasty Toms, Empress Alehouse, Langano Skies, MEAT and Next Act, Fomoso, Black Dog, Buckingham (great vegetarian and vegan food), Yiannis, V's Vietnamese, former Keg, Cianti's, Billiard Club, Continental Treat, Beercade, O'Byrnes, The King & I, Tokyo Noodle Shop, Rooster Café, Gama Café, Boston Pizza, Café Moziacs, Friends & Neighbours...

This doesn't imclude ones that have been open for only about 2-3 years... then there is a large list I have of retailers. I don't LOVE Whyte and it's definitely not the centre of the universe but it's doing well as of late. Some good businesses or "versions" have been doing a good job. Lots of action off Whyte around 12 St and 81 ave too. Ritchie Village or something they called it.

For just drinks and appies we'll head to Hudson's because it's the easiest to get to and has the most parking nearby. I haven't lived downtown in 9 years so we have to drive. MEAT is great for food but always so busy. Something like the Keg or Earl's is nice, or maybe if there was a larger more comfortable Vietnamese or Japanese place. The whole street needs to spread out a bit further west because there's so many people in the tiny section of Whyte.

I mentioned in another thread that Whyte should be converted to a smaller one-way street with a street over being a one-way in the other direction. Or, have opposing one-way streets on either side and make all of Whyte pedestrian only with space for cyclists and maybe a bus-only road. Turn it into somewhere where people can walk around and not be so crowded and the restaurants can open up larger patios that extend out of the front. Large European cities have downtown cores like this where it's walking-only and it's great. Huge patio areas, lots of space, more spread out with stores between the restaurants.

I think it would really transform the whole strip into something new that will probably catch on in other cities. And it also gets rid of the bro's that are doing laps ripping up and down the street all day with their loud Harleys, trucks and fart-can cars. Sitting out on the tiny patios now is just cramped and way too loud to be enjoyable.

You will definitely see a push of new businesses and street-orientated shops further west with the development of 81st avenue at Mezzo and the Southpark lands will also aid Whyte where a car dealership existed. Slow but steady. These buildings will no doubt also have commercial underground parking for patrons like yourself making your experience rather pleasant hopefully.

You will definitely see a push of new businesses and street-orientated shops further west with the development of 81st avenue at Mezzo and the Southpark lands will also aid Whyte where a car dealership existed. Slow but steady. These buildings will no doubt also have commercial underground parking for patrons like yourself making your experience rather pleasant hopefully.
    As someone who lives close by I have seen the ups and downs and I wonder what Whyte Ave wants to become. I think the recession and spate of vacancy was probably a chance to re-invent itself, perhaps to go back to its roots a bit, but I don' think that happened. Whyte Ave still seems to want to be a bit of everything - bars/restaurant and entertainment district, local and upscale shopping, which is ambitious but some things conflict and you can't be all things to all people.

However, I think the development of the old South Park land will be a good thing for the area. It is always challenging for local and small business to make a go of it in what is a fairly high rent area, by Edmonton standards, but adding more people living in the area will be a generally positive thing I think.

I think the next Strathcona ARP zoning and esign guidelines changes should set it in the right direction, as well as the ETS changes, and the 83rd Ave and 106-76 ave bike lanes. 81as ave is just changing, and Beljan's alleyway projects are just getting underway. It'll all come together in a post 2008 recession pattern of growth and direction.

What it will look like in the long run? I dunno.

I hope so, but I think a lot more change is needed to keep the momentum of Whyte going. I'm also looking forward to the west LRT to extend to Lewis Estates and provide a good way to get to the downtown/Whyte area without needing to drive. I'd love to take the train down, walk the street, have a meal and some drinks and then take the train home. It always sucks worrying about parking and only having my one drink so I can drive home... Not that I need to go there and get drunk, but meeting up with friends for drinks sometimes lasts several hours of bevvies lol

Quote Originally Posted by alkeli View Post
    Whyte is a terrible place for business. Indy shops are cool when they open and all the uni students go, and then they're not cool anymore, business drops, they shutdown. Same with many restaurants although some survive longer. They're great at first, but like any fad, they fade away. Not only that, but the changing population isn't steady enough. Students go away during holidays and summer. Harsh winters, nobody wants to walk down the street...

Places like Hudson's are the few that are continually successful. It's the cool place that tries to hard to be the cool place, but just can't sustain it. Forget about over the decades, I can't even keep track of businesses changing out from year to year. It's always been a joke between my wife and I when we see a new store open up that we say "That won't be here next year...". They need more large anchor stores and restaurants that are further west from 99th street where people will go, because the busiest is between 99th and 104th aves. Most things west of 104 die off the quickest.
    That’s the spirit make fun of people who are willing to give it a try.
    “Canada is the only country in the world that knows how to live without an identity,”-Marshall McLuhan

Meiningful Noodles on 81 st is done. Workers are in there smashing stuff from the sounds of things as I walked by the other day. No idea what it's going to turn into.

Also, the old Orange Market space has some activity at it. I don't think they are turning into the pot shop (their number was too high in the lottery draw), so I'm not sure what it'll be.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenco View Post

My point was that someone opens a new shop that's very similar to 5 previous shops that have opened and closed in the past 5 years. They're obviously not looking at what does and doesn't work on Whyte Ave which was my initial statement of Whyte being a terrible place for business. Their lack of research is the problem. So yes, when we see another new indy shop that opens where they sell handmade dresses, I don't expect it to last because I've seen a dozen of those come and go in the past 10 years so it obviously won't work the 13th time...

It's like some restaurants you see that change names every couple years because they keep going out of business, but new owners keep buying it and opening it as a restaurant again. Not a good business decision to buy something like that and try again to open a restaurant. Obviously there's an issue with either the location, the property costs, or the competition. Hard to feel sorry for someone who makes a bad business move.

Got an update for the revised Strathcona ARP and the Plan Whyte initiative. The land use plan is complete and will be presented to the Urban Planning Committee August 28th. Isn't much different than what was presented in the final public presentation back in January this year.

First One is Always Free

My point was that someone opens a new shop that's very similar to 5 previous shops that have opened and closed in the past 5 years. They're obviously not looking at what does and doesn't work on Whyte Ave which was my initial statement of Whyte being a terrible place for business. Their lack of research is the problem. So yes, when we see another new indy shop that opens where they sell handmade dresses, I don't expect it to last because I've seen a dozen of those come and go in the past 10 years so it obviously won't work the 13th time...

It's like some restaurants you see that change names every couple years because they keep going out of business, but new owners keep buying it and opening it as a restaurant again. Not a good business decision to buy something like that and try again to open a restaurant. Obviously there's an issue with either the location, the property costs, or the competition. Hard to feel sorry for someone who makes a bad business move.
    To say that Whyte ave is a terrible place for business, simply isn't true. It's one of the most walkable, vibrant and accessible commercial districts in the city. There's a lot of people working very hard to ensure that it continues to be vibrant. It IS changing and that comes with challenges.

To suggest that a businesses' success or lack of success is due to the location, is merely one factor. Retail consumer habits are changing internationally, and it's having a huge impact on retail. Several factors go into running a successful business and Whyte ave isn't the only area that sees changes and turnover in business store fronts.
    I've been working with small business owners for years and even managed a business myself. It's about taking risks, learning from them and being resilient, but sometimes making poor decisions costs a business owner in a big way. Lack of research and planning is definitely a key factor for many businesses.
    Passionate about small business, community & mature neighbourhoods. ED @ Old Strathcona Business Assoc.

First One is Always Free

Meiningful Noodles on 81 st is done. Workers are in there smashing stuff from the sounds of things as I walked by the other day. No idea what it's going to turn into.

Also, the old Orange Market space has some activity at it. I don't think they are turning into the pot shop (their number was too high in the lottery draw), so I'm not sure what it'll be.
    The noodle shop is changing to a different asian noodle place. They are refacing the facade too with more windows and a much more inviting space. I saw the facade design a while back and also met the new owners.

As for the Orange market space, I believe National Access Cannabis still has plans there, possibly medical only if they don't get the permit.
    And, I heard the old DQ is going to a "marijuana experience" store and owned by Liquor Depot. They won't be selling cannabis. Sounds a bit odd.
    Passionate about small business, community & mature neighbourhoods. ED @ Old Strathcona Business Assoc.

Can we officially call that "coffee pot intersection"?

It's unfortunate that we'll have a bunch of pot stores that won't actually be selling recreational pot, so the number of pot stores could be much higher than the 5 I predicted based on the school/park/other store criteria the city was previously looking at.

The problem with business on Whyte Ave is simple- rents are way, way too high. As many business owners have noted, they're charging "Oil Boom" prices in a much slower marketplace, which is punishing to small businesses. And these landlords will sit on empty locations for YEARS if they can find a big enough tenant- look at how long the old Rogers store was empty before Cash Canada moved in. It sounds bizarre to me to collect NOTHING in a spot for years rather than find SOME sort of tenant, but then, I'm not a landlord. Last I checked, I still had a soul .

If a building sits empty they can put a high price on the rent they should be getting and use 100% of that figure as a tax write off.

A lot of the empty spots on Whyte for the last year were due to the pot lottery. You had to submit an application with a lease already signed on a location, so there were lots of properties sitting vacant because of this. Now that the lottery has happened, we're seeing movement on some of those vacant spaces.

The problem with business on Whyte Ave is simple- rents are way, way too high. As many business owners have noted, they're charging "Oil Boom" prices in a much slower marketplace, which is punishing to small businesses. And these landlords will sit on empty locations for YEARS if they can find a big enough tenant- look at how long the old Rogers store was empty before Cash Canada moved in. It sounds bizarre to me to collect NOTHING in a spot for years rather than find SOME sort of tenant, but then, I'm not a landlord. Last I checked, I still had a soul .

Uh....Top_Dawg has addressed this already several times.

The rents are high for one reason.

Because the property taxes are exorbitant.

Most landlords on Whyte struggle to break even even if their CRUs are leased.

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Dawg View Post

Uh....Top_Dawg has addressed this already several times.

The rents are high for one reason.

Because the property taxes are exorbitant.

Most landlords on Whyte struggle to break even even if their CRUs are leased.
    I checked the thread via a search, and I saw you mention this exactly once, in 2015. I ACCUSE YOU OF EXAGGERATION, GOOD SIR :P.

While I don't doubt those taxes are high, the landlords in the area are clearly overdoing it. Look at how long these places stayed empty. A couple years back, Whyte lost a TON of businesses due to mass rent increases across the board. I doubt you can just blame the tax-man on this. Most business owners are and were saying that the landlords got used to exorbitant rent during the Job Boom, and had unrealistic expectations that they could still charge those prices during a downturn.

I should go in to the Gummi Boutique- they've announced that they're moving, but I don't see to where. Given how the Coney Island Candy Store sadly failed in this location (as well as the Smoke Shop AND the Millennium in the same location), I'm thinking this spot is a bit of a kiss of death, though GB's been there longer than any of those places by a ways now.

Back to more immediate retail news:

Iruka just had their grand opening this weekend. It's a Japanese restaurant just east of the King of Donair, and already has a boardwalk patio.

Cacao 70 is close to opening. The interior is now visible with some equipment and seating all set up.

^ Is Iruka in the same spot as the defunct Pour House?

^ Indeed

Cacao 70 is close to opening. The interior is now visible with some equipment and seating all set up.
    Yeah, this place looks really close to opening. I'm curious what's going in the back of the building as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumbones View Post
    If a building sits empty they can put a high price on the rent they should be getting and use 100% of that figure as a tax write off.
    Tax write off sounds nice, but if you lose $100 and say your tax rate is 50%, at best you likely only get $50 back and the other $50 is a real out of pocket cash loss.

I think it is more likely the owners of the building are absentee, they don't understand the local market well or the building is a small part of their total portfolio so the either they can't be bothered to rent it for less or the loss is not that noticeable.

C2E SME

Or they're waiting for the right tenant to sign a long term lease and aren't interested in one that might be gone in 6 months.

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Great mural project going on at the Old Strathcona Youth Society building on 83 Ave across from the Farmers Market and Walterdale Theatre. It begins on the east corner and wraps around the entire front and west side of the building. Check it out if you get a chance while at the Fringe this week.

Oh, they're doing a mural there as well? That'll be 3 murals in half a block done in a matter of months. I'm going to check it out (and then stop in at Sugared & Spiced for a brownie... I *may* be addicted).

To say that Whyte ave is a terrible place for business, simply isn't true. It's one of the most walkable, vibrant and accessible commercial districts in the city. There's a lot of people working very hard to ensure that it continues to be vibrant. It IS changing and that comes with challenges.

To suggest that a businesses' success or lack of success is due to the location, is merely one factor. Retail consumer habits are changing internationally, and it's having a huge impact on retail. Several factors go into running a successful business and Whyte ave isn't the only area that sees changes and turnover in business store fronts.
    I've been working with small business owners for years and even managed a business myself. It's about taking risks, learning from them and being resilient, but sometimes making poor decisions costs a business owner in a big way. Lack of research and planning is definitely a key factor for many businesses.
    Even if you take only the last 10 years, or less, there are multitudes more business failures than successes along Whyte.

welcome to small business 101... It's not just a phenomenon on whyte avenue. Most small independents fail within 2 years. Those that can make it longer than 2 years will likely stay for years and years. No, please don't bring on more anchors and chains to Whyte avenue. We don't need to duplicate the suburbs here. If you want the same pre-made ready to be heated meals, and same offerings as the suburban shopping malls, stay in the suburbs! I'm sure Moxies or Swiss Chalet has a table for you right now.

The small biz churn on Whyte Avenue is one of its biggest charms, not a defect.

Alkeli, please see my list above of "older" bars/restaurants and I can provide a long list of other business that have been on Whyte for years. The list is quite long. Workhall being a great "recent" addition being a local designer. Then you have the "big brand store" like Chapters, Freshii , Tim Hortons, Shoppers, Macs, Army&Navy, Shoppers, Safeway, major banks, Second Cup, Starbucks, Lulu Lemon, John Fluevog, Boston Pizza, Lush, even Remedy or Gravity Pope or Ten Thousand Villages or Fomoso could be in on this list... and the list gets bigger with Raymond Block.

Then there's Bamboo Ballroom, Workhall, Foosh, Glam Slam, Jaisel, When Pigs Fly, Burlington Tobacconists, Gravity Pope, Vivid Print, Mars and Venus, Plush Skateboards, Wee Book Inn... I could go on but many business have remained or been there for years.

All catering to uni students with temp shops and fads. Hudson's, the Keg (off Whyte) Chapters and Lulu Lemon for the wife are the only things that would get us to the area, otherwise it's not worth the trip. Keeps those of us that will spend good money from even going there at all. Hopefully a convenient east-west LRT line to Lewis Estates might change that. Maybe. I have no problems eating at the nice restaurants outside of the downtown/Whyte area. If Whyte wants business, it has nothing to do with me. Nobody needs to go to Whyte, Whyte needs people to go there.
    Last edited by alkeli; 21-08-2018 at 01:01 PM.

This may be hard to believe, but it's not all about you.

First One is Always Free

Alkeli, please see my list above of "older" bars/restaurants and I can provide a long list of other business that have been on Whyte for years. The list is quite long. Workhall being a great "recent" addition being a local designer. Then you have the "big brand store" like Chapters, Freshii , Tim Hortons, Shoppers, Macs, Army&Navy, Shoppers, Safeway, major banks, Second Cup, Starbucks, Lulu Lemon, John Fluevog, Boston Pizza, Lush, even Remedy or Gravity Pope or Ten Thousand Villages or Fomoso could be in on this list... and the list gets bigger with Raymond Block.

Then there's Bamboo Ballroom, Workhall, Foosh, Glam Slam, Jaisel, When Pigs Fly, Burlington Tobacconists, Gravity Pope, Vivid Print, Mars and Venus, Plush Skateboards, Wee Book Inn... I could go on but many business have remained or been there for years.
    The average age of business in Old Strathcona is nine years, which means we have a large number of business that are mature. We are on the cusp of a big shift in development, retail and restaurants with lots of new development. Change is good. It's not always easy and doesn't always have a positive impact on all business, but certainly creates opportunity for other unique businesses and business models, like we're seeing with the development of back alley retail.

This may be hard to believe, but it's not all about you.
    I never said it was. But the same old start-ups that are just like the last are just as likely to fail. And they try to be the hip cool indy shop to cater to the uni students. It's boring. There's plenty of options around the city for people to go shop. Restaurants and bars alone won't keep people coming back if there's nothing else to do there or nowhere else to shop while you're there. If it just continues to do the same old thing and expect to improve, that's not going to happen.

^^Bingo.
    Last edited by GenWhy?; 21-08-2018 at 01:30 PM.

The older businesses are doing quite well and don't merely cater to university students - but I do admit many start there and spend more into the 20's and 30's - and tastes change and so do these shop's inventory. I don't think Whyte needs to repeat what Robson Street does in Van, and that's not the OSBAs intent or community's or the City's direction, but a healthy mix of "anchor" tenants and mix of businesses is... and you'll see this with the development of larger CRUs in Southpark and Raymond Block developments. Small and old CRUs don't bring mall-esk bigger well-known tenants. As a mainstreet there is only so much the community / City can do. Better transit would help and is coming.

The strip isn't for everyone, that's true, and "hip" is relative but business folks take chances and if the model works then that's a success for the business, area, and City whether one's tastes are satisfied or not, at least one can enjoy the "activity" the area brings even when one doesn't shop at many of the stores. As you stated there are plenty of other areas in the City to shop and dine... and that's what makes the City and Whyte great, and Whyte "unique". The "purpose" and distinctiveness and "selling feature" as an area is that it differs from another mainstreet due to it's reliance on business and foot traffic coming from it being a Destination. It must be different in its "vibe" and offerings than Jasper Ave, 124 st, 111ave, or 118 ave. Anchor tenants are essential and good for the local residents, no doubt, but not every location is for everyone but success and draw is a market issue unfortunately.

I admit I don't shop on Whyte much, but half the strip is vacant lots or surface parking waiting to be developed…. so I'm playing the waiting game, the long game.

All catering to uni students with temp shops and fads. Hudson's, the Keg (off Whyte) Chapters and Lulu Lemon for the wife are the only things that would get us to the area, otherwise it's not worth the trip. Keeps those of us that will spend good money from even going there at all. Hopefully a convenient east-west LRT line to Lewis Estates might change that. Maybe. I have no problems eating at the nice restaurants outside of the downtown/Whyte area. If Whyte wants business, it has nothing to do with me. Nobody needs to go to Whyte, Whyte needs people to go there.
    Hudson's. the Keg (closed), Chapters & Lulu Lemon? Yeah, you'd be fine at pretty much any of the malls in town.

Never knew the Keg was even closed. Goes to show how often I go there, which is my entire point. Whyte needs serious changes to make people want to go. And I mean people other than uni students and those that live in the area.

C2E Continued Contributor

Never knew the Keg was even closed. Goes to show how often I go there, which is my entire point. Whyte needs serious changes to make people want to go. And I mean people other than uni students and those that live in the area.
    Pretty anecdotal comment, no?

Parking is non existent from 109 through to 99 on weekends and during events. That would indicate people are coming that are not uni students or those that live in the area. Fringe, Pride, art walk, street performers, farmers market all attract a ton of people on top of the existing things to do. There is a great ice cream shop that just opened up off Gateway on Whyte that has a line up every evening of the week and all day on weekends as well. There are plenty of clothing stores that do well on Whyte and attract people to shop.

The little parking there is, is hard to find any time. I don't think that's relevant to any events or things that attract people, it's just plain lack of parking period.

When I need to go to Whyte for something I never seem to have trouble parking. Then again, I have no problem walking from residential or circling a block a couple times if necessary. It can't always be slap-you-in-the-face easy. Plan ahead, give yourself 10 minutes extra and don't assume you're going to get a George Costanza perfect spot right infront of the store/restaurant you're headed to.

I don't expect a Costanza spot, and I've always found parking eventually. I'm always early, never in a rush, but just because I eventually find parking doesn't mean there's no lack of parking. I've also never been during any events like Fringe or whatever, just a normal weekend.

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021 LastLast