Thread: Keeping schools open will save money

Addicted to C2E

Default Keeping schools open will save money

Planning expert Robert Liberty told a Calgary conference on the weekend that closing schools in mature communities is not good economics.

"I know you're dealing with school closures here in the central part of the city," he said.

"Those are kind of the heart for a lot of communities. Wouldn't it be better if those neighbourhoods had more public and private investment so the schools stayed open, so you saved and built on what you had?"

Liberty said every neighbourhood should have schools, shopping and community centres within walking distance, as well as housing for a variety of income levels.

"The objective is a greater variety of housing and uses in every neighbourhood, and that's a more convenient way of living and, in many cases, a more affordable way of living," he said.
    http://is.gd/cGaVo
    http://www.twitter.com/ckls

Woah what! Common Sense! What a genious!
    FREE THE LOOPING .GIF MEMES
    youtube.com/GrimEmpire

^it doesn't save money for sprawl developers though, a selling feature is a shiny new school funded off the backs of mature neighborhood residents.

I have long been a fan of a greenbelt around the city, or a line drawn in the soil that says "you cannot develop past this point." But I now believe that a moratorium on new school construction would accomplish the same feat.

An aspect of the problem, in my view, is that seniors are staying in their mature neighbourhood homes too long, crowding out new families, and forcing them to the suburbs. My hope is that future downtown development will be successful in attracting seniors out of their mature neighbourhoods, so that these affordable houses near existing schools can be better utilized.