Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314
Results 1,301 to 1,360 of 1360

Thread: Hyatt Place Hotel (10151 96 St.) | Hotel | Completed

How does Prem continue to get positive press for his charitable work yet continually and almost obsessively stiff contractors. He's gone through what 4 GCs on this site? Really strange way of doing business. As mentioned for those of us who know him, this is not surprising.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

He's really good about donating other people's money, absolutely!

^ none whatsoever, standard MO for this guy....
    Excellence is a continual Journey up a staircase where there is NO top step...

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

Not sure if anyone has mentioned, but sign is up on the east side of building and I imagine in other places too.

Yesterday:

Let's make Edmonton better.

Glad to see this is moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
    Glad to see this is moving forward.
    Putting aside the massive delays of this project, and the stiffed contractors - it is an absolutely beautiful piece of architecture, and would be impressive in most cities. It is a great addition to the skyline.

C2E Bandwidth Hog
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

Great views. This could be a go-to place for conferences. There's lots of cheap parking around too *ahem*
    Slightly tempted to redeem one of my hotels.com free nights to check this place out

Plug C2E into my veins!!!

The short video clip of the place definitely looks nice. Sadly they interview the developer who we all know is a piece of work.

Step Three down.

(Step One was bulldozing the Alcohotels, Step Two was the Armature.)

Glacial in one way, but lightspeed compared to the uncounted false starts in The Quarters since the 1950s. They're getting it right, finally.

Next Steps: Artshab, 97 Street retail, and the first condo towers. This is going to work.

Quote Originally Posted by JayBee View Post
    Step Three down.

(Step One was bulldozing the Alcohotels, Step Two was the Armature.)

Glacial in one way, but lightspeed compared to the uncounted false starts in The Quarters since the 1950s. They're getting it right, finally.

Next Steps: Artshab, 97 Street retail, and the first condo towers. This is going to work.
    Well said! Let's hope it happens.

^ and don't forget the LRT I think that will make a huge difference for the area as well...
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" - Einstein

^ you're right, and ha ha, totally forgot.

(and forgot "Step Zero" -- closing the airport with the flight path immediately overhead.)

C2E Bandwidth Hog

Edmonton hotelier not spooked by economy
    http://www.edmontonsun.com/2016/11/0...ked-by-economy

How interesting that Prem Singhmar was willing to break new ground, to be the first developer to make a major ($55 million) investment in The Quarters, the City of Edmonton’s vision for the Downtown East. Hyatt Place is one block east of the Shaw Conference Centre. And the new hotel has opened in the middle of a province-wide severe economic downturn.

Prem professes to no particular financial acumen, but his track record is one of successful real estate and land development, one project after another.
    Singhmar is a renaissance man with far more wide-ranging interests than the mere exchange of commerce.

To break bread with Prem is to discuss classical Indian philosophy, education, political science, ideology and the art of governance.
    “Why hotels? I don’t really know. As I learned about construction, they seemed like good investments in good economic times. It’s pretty lousy at the moment, but hotels are good, long-term businesses.

“I have never looked at the economy as a whole,” says Prem, “just particular investment opportunities. When I first arrived, the Alberta economy was in rough shape. But coming from Libya, it looked pretty good to me.

“Cities are developed by visions, not business plans. Chicago burned to the ground 150 years ago. All it had was a lake and stupid weather. Look at what they accomplished.

“(Past) Mayor Steve Mandel was a visionary. When my son and I were thinking about building a downtown hotel, Mayor Mandel inspired me with his vision for The Quarters. I’m not one for market appraisals or market research – only if the bank insists. They’re rarely right. It’s all about vision.”
    “You have to dream big. If we want to be a little city, we dream small. If we want to be a big city, we dream big, and this is a big idea.” - Mayor Stephen Mandel, 02/22/2012

C2E SME

I'm just glad that this is now open. I just hope that we will start seeing more ground breaking and construction happening soon in the area. (Not including the LRT)
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Dropped in today for a coffee and a bite to eat:

• Very good hummus
    • Nice mocha latte
    • Very good service
    • Utterly spectacular view of Jasper Ave, Downtown, and a bit of the Valley, this is the reason you go.
    • Pretty good interior design and finish

Only criticism of the experience would be the heavy perfume in the room itself. This would be the reason I won't often go back, but if that kind of thing doesn't bother you, give it a shot.

Looks like an excellent conference facility too, if you have a small meeting to host.

The neighbourhood around it keeps getting better and better too, believe it or not. The trouble-magnet liquor store beside the Artery has been permanently closed down and I expect will be demolished shortly, so I'm expecting a decrease in beer cans and urine in the Chinese Garden down in LMP. Just feels like a streetscape with no reason not to have some development on the empty gravel parking lots now. Kindof a "why isn't there more residential here?" thing. Doesn't feel weird having a hotel there.

Overall (including the neighbourhood) ***1/2.

Default Hyatt Place

The Hyatt Place Hotel seems to fit in nicely with the other shapes at the east entrance to downtown.

[IMG]The New Hyatt Place Hotel by Glen Bowe, on Flickr[/IMG]

The Hotel's design is a little unorthodox. Wait I take that back. The refection on the class of the hotel is clearly the Russian Orthodox Church. I guess the design is indeed orthodox.
    [IMG]Hyatt Place in Edmonton by Glen Bowe, on Flickr[/IMG]

That is a perfect shot! Great lightling too.

C2E Long Term Contributor

Incredible shot indeed.
    www.decl.org

Ottawa-Edmonton-Vancouver-Edmonton

Thank you Ian and Ctzn-Ed. I hope someday the Gibson Block can be repurposed to a more retail or entertainment related function.

C2E Hard Core Contributor

Decided to grab a room here (very reasonable rates) after dinner at Hardware Grill this week. The interiors and rooms did not disappoint. We slept in and missed the free breakfast, so i can't comment on their kitchen, but I would otherwise recommend it.

Any pictures from your stay?

Toured it and most excellent. The 2nd floor lounge is a must see/drink for people.
    www.decl.org

^ agreed.

C2E SME

Slightly off topic, but now I would love to see something nice go up right next door to the hotel to fill that parking lot.
    LRT is our future, time to push forward.

Right across the street there is banner showing new business going in it's called liquor on 96

Uh oh...

The Armature opening is at 415 on 96st if you are interested and also join after at the Hyatt. See you there.
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

You mean 4:15pm today?
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Correct
    www.decl.org

Great opening of the armature and Hyatt. Absolutely wonderful addition to the core and I hope you all spend a few moment or nights there to take it in.

@IanOyeg
    www.decl.org

I bet it was nice, but it's hard to tell from the potato shots. What's the holdup on a new phone Ian?
    "Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" - Blaise Pascal

Those were all filters that I hear are all the rage.
    www.decl.org

The Quarters Downtown celebrates two milestones

January 23, 2017

The Quarters Downtown has reached two major milestones with the official openings of the Armature and Hyatt Place Edmonton/Downtown.

“The Armature is the crown jewel of the Quarters Downtown, and is a significant milestone for Edmonton,” said Mayor Don Iveson. “Hyatt Place Edmonton/Downtown is the first new development along the Armature, the first downtown hotel in a generation, and is a stunning cornerstone for this area."

“We wanted to create something very beautiful. This was the first hotel being built Downtown in the last 30 years, and we wanted it to reflect the vision for the future of Downtown and the Quarters,” said Prem Singhmar, owner of Hyatt Place Edmonton/Downtown.

The Hyatt Place Edmonton/Downtown is the first Hyatt Place hotel in Canada and is located at the southeast corner of 96 Street, anchoring the Armature. The Armature runs along 96 Street from 103A Avenue to Jasper Avenue.

This pedestrian-oriented street will be the home of Kinistinâw Park, urban plazas, shopping and eating. As Downtown’s first “green street” the Armature uses sustainable neighbourhood design principles to create a thriving, livable green street. This includes a mixed use of land to prioritize walkability and innovative “green” technology such as special soil systems that capture rainfall to be reused to water shrubs and trees along the street.

The neighbourhood is well-connected to the urban core and river valley, yet is being designed to have a distinct and unique feel. In particular, the Armature celebrates and encourages distinctive and attractive architecture, anchored by Hyatt Place, designed by local architect Gene Dub.

Next steps for the Quarters Downtown includes the construction of Kinistinâw Park, which is located north of Hyatt Place. The park is currently in consultation phase, with construction set to start in 2018.

The City of Edmonton invites the public to view these latest developments by attending a community festival on Saturday, February 18 to celebrate the opening of the street.

For more information:

Hyatt Place Edmonton/Downtown

The Armature

Photo Gallery - The Quarters before Armature and Hyatt Place Development

Media contacts:

City of Edmonton
    Lesley Vaage
    (587)594-1159

Hyatt Place Edmonton/Downtown
    Sameh Khedr
    (587)525-1234 ext. 5103
    www.decl.org

Isn't the Alberta Hotel only home to CKUA Radio now? BTW the Bar/Kitchen is apparently closed now (again).

Union Bank Inn was a re-fit of an older building, not new construction.
    I feel in no way entitled to your opinion...

C2E Bandwidth Hog

The rebuilt Alberta Hotel building is not a hotel

Timely - Hotel boom good for entire city

http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmonto...=1485279004317
    www.decl.org

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Death Monkey View Post
    The rebuilt Alberta Hotel building is not a hotel
    Oh. So the name above the door says "Alberta Hotel", but it's not a hotel. That's not confusing at all.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I've got really bad news about driveways and parkways, Vincent....

Thanks Marcel, now I gotta clean some water outta my keyboard.
    Giving less of a damn than ever… Can't laugh at the ignorant if you ignore them!

We have a lack of guest rooms to bring in large groups. If the city can’t provide enough rooms, organizations take their conferences elsewhere.”

- Garrett Turta, general manager of the Fairmont Hotel Macdonald.

“To have both the Hyatt and JW Marriott coming in a couple of years really does add a lot of capacity to the city’s already strong inventory

- Mayor Don Iveson

lol, you have a hotelier saying the new additions are good because there is currently a lack of hotel rooms, then a few lines down you have the mayor saying the city currently has a strong inventory of hotel rooms. I love the contradiction just a few lines from each other in the same article.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel Petrin View Post
    http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/1353...ve-on-parkways

Quote Originally Posted by Perspective View Post
    We have a lack of guest rooms to bring in large groups. If the city can’t provide enough rooms, organizations take their conferences elsewhere.”

- Garrett Turta, general manager of the Fairmont Hotel Macdonald.

“To have both the Hyatt and JW Marriott coming in a couple of years really does add a lot of capacity to the city’s already strong inventory

- Mayor Don Iveson

lol, you have a hotelier saying the new additions are good because there is currently a lack of hotel rooms, then a few lines down you have the mayor saying the city currently has a strong inventory of hotel rooms. I love the contradiction just a few lines from each other in the same article.
    Oh but you cheated by ignoring the hotel guy's statement one sentence before. Here's the whole paragraph:

“We’re lacking in the downtown core for conventions,” said Turta, general manager of the Fairmont Hotel Macdonald. “We have a lack of guest rooms to bring in large groups. If the city can’t provide enough rooms, organizations take their conferences elsewhere.”
    Remember... perspective.

I don't understand how that changes anything.

Ummm... one is talking about the downtown core and one is talking about the city?

Then his quote is irrelevant. The whole article seems to be talking about the effects of this hotel on downtown so I too assumed he was referring to downtown. There are several hotels constantly opening around the city and he singled out this hotel (which is obvious since its the focus of the article) then he singles out the JW, both of which are located downtown. So again, my assumption was he was referring to downtown. The hotelier also says "if the city can't provide enough rooms, organizations take their conferences elsewhere", so here he must've been referring to the whole city too?

I guess I wasn't looking for something to dispute, and took both (complete) quotes at face value.

If you have not had a chance to grab a drink at the new Hyatt Edmonton in the Quarters, do so and enjoy their fantastic interior design and unique patio vantage.

twitter.com/dbayeg
    www.decl.org

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

I actually forgot about the patio. I did tour there in Winter and said, wow, the patio will have a great view in the summer, but now forgot about it.

Bar staff seemed very friendly as well. It is a beautiful place and vantage point.
    "if god exists and he allowed that to happen, then its better that he doesn't exist"

Did my dog just fall into a pothole???

C2E Posting Power
    Below that old white mountain, just a little southeast of Nome

Love everything about the outside of the building except the round concrete pillars at the front entrance facing jasper avenue (not shown in the picture above which is of the side entrance). Yes they are polished concrete but still looks unfinished to me, imo.

C2E Stole my Heart!!!!

^A structural requirement, but just curious if you would prefer the simple beam pillars like shown above or some other finishing.

To when looking at the round pillars I kind of view it as a design meets necessity. The pillars don't match the design elements, but what options are there?

C2E Posting Power
    Below that old white mountain, just a little southeast of Nome

Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
    ^A structural requirement, but just curious if you would prefer the simple beam pillars like shown above or some other finishing.

To when looking at the round pillars I kind of view it as a design meets necessity. The pillars don't match the design elements, but what options are there?
    Just more the finish itself that bothers me (or lack thereof). Not sure what type of finish could be used, perhaps metal or tile cladding, but there has to be something better than just leaving it bare concrete (albeit polished)? The rectangular pillars outside the side entrance look alright but perhaps the ones in front had to be round and if so could they perhaps have been enclosed inside a box with a nice exterior? Anyway just a very small detail that detracts a bit from the overall great impression that the building makes on the passerby imo.

Quote Originally Posted by edTel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

Just more the finish itself that bothers me (or lack thereof). Not sure what type of finish could be used, perhaps metal or tile cladding, but there has to be something better than just leaving it bare concrete (albeit polished)? The rectangular pillars outside the side entrance look alright but perhaps the ones in front had to be round and if so could they perhaps have been enclosed inside a box with a nice exterior? Anyway just a very small detail that detracts a bit from the overall great impression that the building makes on the passerby imo.

I agree. Something like this, but not in this colour. It would fit with the geometric design of the building and look more cohesive IMO.

The facets help give it a jewel like quality, I tried to capture the subtle tones here.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4407/3...4d4872d4_b.jpg By me...
    Last edited by norwoodguy; 12-08-2017 at 09:56 PM. Reason: New image

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314